Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flying into trouble – the government’s position on Heathrow?

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,671
    nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

In the [near] immortal words of the Blessed St. Margaret - We have become a family! :D
    Why are we wasting time reporting on a serial, lying sex maniac when so much else is happening? The offspring will be lucky to see its father as he moves on to the next shag
    Please don't talk of other posters in that way or you will be banned.
  • Options
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Didn't want to go the season unbeaten anyway.

When we did it, Fergie said we drew too many games!
    To be fair that's entirely true. Liverpool's season will almost certainly be more impressive in the round than the Invincibles season was. Indeed Liverpool's losing season last year was more impressive than that.
    I think it's very difficult to compare teams across seasons. If I was being honest I'd say Chelsea 2004-06 are probably the best team I've seen.

It's more about achievements. The reason the unbeaten season in 2003-04 was so sweet is that at the start of the previous season, Wenger was asked if he thought Arsenal could do it that season. He said yes and Wayne Rooney made him look foolish.

But, I actually think scoring in every game of a season - as Arsenal did in 2001-02 is more impressive. Not even Man City in 2017-18 did that.
    It's just great to have something as easily quanitfiable as going the season unbeaten next to our name. Sure other teams have got more points in other seasons or whatever but, luckily for Arsenal fans, to be "The Invincibles" is still better.

Nice to have something to smile about :)

Its a nice wooden spoon of records to have when you can't say "Champions of Europe" or "Champions of the World" ;)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

In the [near] immortal words of the Blessed St. Margaret - We have become a family! :D
    Why are we wasting time reporting on a serial, lying sex maniac when so much else is happening? The offspring will be lucky to see its father as he moves on to the next shag
    Please don't talk of other posters in that way or you will be banned.
    I think he's talking about Boris Johnson, not that it makes such nastiness any better.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Fair enough, he treats people as idiots all the time and gets away with it. I have never really let rip but the one time I do ....
  • Options
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    DeClare said:

HYUFD said:

So how many kids does that make it for Boris?

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1233806817026805762?s=20

Congrats to them both, will be the first new baby in No 10 since Blair.

Boris is 55 so will be very much an older father to his latest child, Carrie is only 31 though and will be her first child. Trump was even older at 60 when Melania had Barron, so Boris again following The Donald
    Imagine turning 18 and having a 73/4 year old Boris as your dad. Or don't......
    Didn't Des O'Connor have a kid in his 70s?
    He has a 13 year old son, that's probably why he's still working at the age of 88.

Bloke in India who died the other day, fathered two kids in his 90's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramjit_Raghav

My brother-in-law's father was 86 when b-i-l was conceived, but sadly did not live to see his son born.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

eadric said:

France is following the exact path of previous outbreaks

https://twitter.com/oli3be/status/1233823800338403331?s=20

The pattern will repeat everywhere.

No, that's cherrypicked data. Graph the UK's data.
    You actually believe the UK data? It’s all about who travelled where at the moment, nothing to do with control or superior management.
    Its entirely to do with control or superior management. We've found the people who've traveled and got the illness, traced them and put them into isolation as required.

The NHS and government have done a fantastic job so far.
    Well you can believe what you want but they have done absolutely nothing to limit the spread. Than over countries.
    Idiot. Yeah, sure, identifying and isolating those who're carrying the disease has done "absolutely nothing to limit the spread".

Moron!
    You are the moron let’s wait and see how they cope with those cases where the source is not obvious. I doubt that I’ve ever seen another true believer of this government who is so blind to its incompetence than you. The issue is that the UK has, at yet, very few cases that it has had to track. Let’s see how they do when there are fift that haven’t been to China,Karan etc
    Not all cases have been obvious yet. Remember they had to track down and identify the "superspreader" previously and followed up and identified everyone he'd infected.

Countries which are reacting rather than being so proactive would have left those with the illness on the streets spreading the illness.

You may think we've been 'lucky' to identify and stop everyone so far but then when we've conducted nearly a thousand tests to find each positive so far it reminds me of the old saying "the harder I work, the luckier I get".
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,173
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Just build the bloody runway, and if they have to pass new legislation first then do that. Over a decade of talking about it so far, the only winner is Schipol until they start digging.

A global player needs a global transit hub, not one where half the short-haul programme gets binned on a foggy day.

Nor one where half the country can't actually fly into it for onward flights - For me Schipol is the only option.. Thankfully I didn't finish booking Milan at Easter..
    From memory Heathrow has connections to 7 other UK airports, Manchester is connected to 13 and Schipol 21.

Schipol is the natural hub for the majority of the UK and if connecting at a hub is good enough for those of us away from London then surely it can be for those in London as well.
    Both KLM and Emirates connect more UK destinations to their hubs than BA do into LHR. BA need that third runway open yesterday.
    That shouldn't be that surprising: simply, there's no point in BA creating a London City to London Heathrow route, as the distances are simply too small.
    No, but ead.
    Agreed.

But take Bristol as an example. It's an hour and 45 minutes from Heathrow. To be a useful feeder for BA's international network you'd need to have regular flights (otherwise passengers are going to have to wait a couple of hours to transfer). And I just don't see the demand for 8 to 10 flights from Bristol to London a day. Even if Heathrow was expanded, I just don't see the demand.

While Bristol to Amsterdam... there's almost certainly some latent (non-transfer) demand. There's no alternative way of getting between the two places. You can see a reasonable number of flights.

If you added more slots for BA at Heathrow, it would help. But I'm not sure how much.
    Yes, you’d want to use a smaller plane and a more frequent schedule the closer your airports are to each other, otherwise people will find it easier to go by car or train instead. Heathrow’s public transport links are terrible if you’re not going to central London though, and the parking is either really expensive or miles away.

Every time I go through Amsterdam I look at the fleet of little Fokkers that KLM has going all over their short haul route. That’s how they feed all those 777s on the long haul routes. With a third runway BA could do the same.
    The little Fokkers have fokked off. Fleet of E-Jets now. Still a F-70 on the roof though.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,461
    CatMan said:

tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Just build the bloody runway, and if they have to pass new legislation first then do that. Over a decade of talking about it so far, the only winner is Schipol until they start digging.

A global player needs a global transit hub, not one where half the short-haul programme gets binned on a foggy day.

Nor one where half the country can't actually fly into it for onward flights - For me Schipol is the only option.. Thankfully I didn't finish booking Milan at Easter..
    From memory Heathrow has connections to 7 other UK airports, Manchester is connected to 13 and Schipol 21.

Schipol is the natural hub for the majority of the UK and if connecting at a hub is good enough for those of us away from London then surely it can be for those in London as well.
    Both KLM and Emirates connect more UK destinations to their hubs than BA do into LHR. BA need that third runway open yesterday.
    That shouldn't be that surprising: simply, there's no point in BA creating a London City to London Heathrow route, as the distances are simply too small.
    No, but places like Birmingham, Exeter, Cardiff and Bristol would support flights into Heathrow if there were more slots available. Currently anyone living in those cities goes through Amsterdam instead.
    Agreed.

But take Bristol as an example. It's an hour and 45 minutes from Heathrow. To be a useful feeder for BA's international network you'd need to have regular flights (otherwise passengers are going to have to wait a couple of hours to transfer). And I just don't see the demand for 8 to 10 flights from Bristol to London a day. Even if Heathrow was expanded, I just don't see the demand.

While Bristol to Amsterdam... there's almost certainly some latent (non-transfer) demand. There's no alternative way of getting between the two places. You can see a reasonable number of flights.

If you added more slots for BA at Heathrow, it would help. But I'm not sure how much.
    Amongst all the talk about infrastructure projects, it amazes me that we don't have plans for western access to Heathrow from the GWML. Bristol to Heathrow by train would be very quick.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Rail_Approach_to_Heathrow
    Okay, there are plans :)

But this should be high up the list of priorities.
  • Options

isam said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

To be fair that's entirely true. Liverpool's season will almost certainly be more impressive in the round than the Invincibles season was. Indeed Liverpool's losing season last year was more impressive than that.
    I think it's very difficult to compare teams across seasons. If I was being honest I'd say Chelsea 2004-06 are probably the best team I've seen.

It's more about achievements. The reason the unbeaten season in 2003-04 was so sweet is that at the start of the previous season, Wenger was asked if he thought Arsenal could do it that season. He said yes and Wayne Rooney made him look foolish.

But, I actually think scoring in every game of a season - as Arsenal did in 2001-02 is more impressive. Not even Man City in 2017-18 did that.
    It's just great to have something as easily quanitfiable as going the season unbeaten next to our name. Sure other teams have got more points in other seasons or whatever but, luckily for Arsenal fans, to be "The Invincibles" is still better.

Its a nice wooden spoon of records to have when you can't say "Champions of Europe" or "Champions of the World" ;)
    We won the world cup in 1934 and 1998.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,841
    GIN1138 said:

Jan 4th is when I announced it on here.

*Buffs nails*
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,995
    edited February 2020

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I reckon Trump is doomed now.

I doubt it, especially as the left-wing Sanders is his likely opponent and he can state his hardline border control policy reduces the risks of coronavirus entering the USA
    If people start dropping like flies because they have little or no access to free Medicare, and Trump continues to complain that Coronavirus is all fake news, the ghost of Osama Bin Laden would beat him.
    Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery, the vast majority who get it are far betting lying in bed at home with hot broth and the vast majority of them will then recover
    Great Heavens, HYUFD, I had no idea you were a medical man.
    Anyone with half a brain knows there is no drug cure for flu, same with coronavirus, Lemsip and paracetamol ease the symptoms they do not cure it, there is no surgery for it either, you just have to ride it out
    You do realise that people who die from the flu don't necessarily die from the flu? They can die due to things like pneumonia that it causes.

Do you believe pneumonia is best treated with Lemsip and paracetamol?
    In which case it is pneumonia that kills them not flu, as pneumonia is a separate disease caused by a bacterial infection on the lungs not a virus
  • Options
    Sorry but I am somewhat stressed, scared rigid struggling to cope with my health issues at the same time,as caring for my wife who had serious hypoxic dementia. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring, am scared shitless that the health systems across
    Europe Will collapse. Will know more Tuesday but sorry
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I doubt it, especially as the left-wing Sanders is his likely opponent and he can state his hardline border control policy reduces the risks of coronavirus entering the USA
    If people start dropping like flies because they have little or no access to free Medicare, and Trump continues to complain that Coronavirus is all fake news, the ghost of Osama Bin Laden would beat him.
    Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery, the vast majority who get it are far betting lying in bed at home with hot broth and the vast majority of them will then recover
    Anyone with half a brain knows there is no drug cure for flu, same with coronavirus, Lemsip and paracetamol ease the symptoms they do not cure it, there is no surgery for it either, you just have to ride it out
    You do realise that people who die from the flu don't necessarily die from the flu? They can die due to things like pneumonia that it causes.

In which case it is pneumonia that kills them not flu, as pneumonia is a separate disease caused by a bacterial infection on the lungs not a virus
    The medical staff must have been confused when they diagnosed that I had viral pneumonia.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

No, but ead.
    Agreed.

Yes, you’d want to use a smaller plane and a more frequent schedule the closer your airports are to each other, otherwise people will find it easier to go by car or train instead. Heathrow’s public transport links are terrible if you’re not going to central London though, and the parking is either really expensive or miles away.

Every time I go through Amsterdam I look at the fleet of little Fokkers that KLM has going all over their short haul route. That’s how they feed all those 777s on the long haul routes. With a third runway BA could do the same.
    The little Fokkers have fokked off. Fleet of E-Jets now. Still a F-70 on the roof though.
    Ah damn, yes you’re right. Little Embraers isn’t as funny though!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

In which case it is pneumonia that kills them not flu, as pneumonia is a separate disease
    Not if the flu causes their pneumonia. The flu is still the proximate cause if its the reason they got the pneumonia.

Many severe illnesses that result in death work that way. They don't kill directly, they kill by triggering secondary infections or by stopping you from being able to fight off secondary infections.
  • Options
    They are roundly mocked, and in some ways rightly so, the interest rates on their financial services seem huge, but then they are high because their client base dont pay their bills and are poor risks.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,841
    nichomar said:

Sorry but I am somewhat stressed, scared rigid struggling to cope with my health issues at the same time,as caring for my wife who had serious hypoxic dementia. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring, am scared shitless that the health systems across

Very sorry to hear about all that. I think the health systems will be fine and work on a priority basis anyway.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,724
    edited February 2020

They are roundly mocked, and in some ways rightly so, the interest rates on their financial services seem huge, but then they are high because their client base dont pay their bills and are poor risks.
    Yes, I do wonder if they go under, if it will simply lead to people taking out loans from even dodgier sources. Obviously people don't need the 65" OLED tv on the never never, but they do need things like washing machines.
  • Options

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOOOODDDDD!!!!

We've run out of beer in the Casino household.

I have two lovely cans of Beavertown Gamma Ray in the fridge and I’m very much looking forward to getting stuck in.
    Jealous. That's good stuff.

Not wanting to come off all famous international bestselling author but I've found a half-finished bottle of Muscat that I'm currently polishing off instead whilst I cook a fresh monkfish curry.

Yum.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Haha

The nice thing about the Invincible season is that, until someone else does it, it is ours. Of course winning the Champions League is better, but the season you don't win it, it's no longer yours.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

So, technically, dying of pneumonia counts as coronavirus recovery, then?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    nichomar said:

Wishing you all the best @nichomar.

And best wishes to @malcolmg’s wife too.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

No, but places like Birmingham, Exeter, Cardiff and Bristol would support flights into Heathrow if there were more slots available. Currently anyone living in those cities goes through Amsterdam instead.
    Agreed.

Amongst all the talk about infrastructure projects, it amazes me that we don't have plans for western access to Heathrow from the GWML. Bristol to Heathrow by train would be very quick.
    There are plans on the shelf for that.

It's a signalling issue.

The bigger Fubar is how there's no surface rail access from the south-western network beneath Heathrow, where shedloads of its passengers originate from.

No-one likes using the Woking rail-air link.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

In which case it is pneumonia that kills them not flu, as pneumonia is a separate disease
    Not if the flu causes their pneumonia. The flu is still the proximate cause if its the reason they got the pneumonia.

Many severe illnesses that result in death work that way. They don't kill directly, they kill by triggering secondary infections or by stopping you from being able to fight off secondary infections.
    In which case you are again treating a secondary disease in a minority of patients, you are not treating flu itself
  • Options
    Now I know some of you guys are sceptical about the quality of US soccer.

But if you have three minutes, watch the highlights of LAFC absolutely schooling Leon in the North American Champions League: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/02/27/lafc-3-club-leon-0-2020-concacaf-champions-league-match-recap

(Bear in mind that Leon is one of the best teams in Lega MX, who was top of the table the last two seasons and is currently in second place.)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761

Yes, there’s a fine line between regulating interest rates on ‘sub-prime’ loans, and making the sector so unprofitable that companies exit the market and people have to turn to more ‘unconventional’ means of borrowing money instead.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

So, technically, dying of pneumonia counts as coronavirus recovery, then?
    It counts as dying of pneumonia
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    They seem more deluded than the Labour Party. Who exactly are they to demand that the ministers of a democratically-elected government be replaced?
  • Options

I remember about 13 years ago I built my own PC buying parts from Scan and assembling it myself. I was talking to a friend about it, saying I'd got a bargain doing it myself as it cost me less than a PC in PC World but had better specs than the best PC you could get from PC World.

My friend boasted she had a better machine than mine, I said I doubt it - and she said she does, she got the best one you could get from Brighthouse.

Needless to say her machine was not a scratch on mine and cost her over its life much, much more. About 2-3 years later she was getting a new one, I kept using mine until last year when I retired it because I didn't want a PC anymore and wanted to just use my Laptop. Had I still wanted to use a PC I'd still be using it, but I certainly wasn't expecting to get a dozen years out of the machine when I built it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,104

One of the larger shops in East Ham High Street. They took over from Starbucks - yes, East Ham had a Starbucks for a while, back when the rising tide of gentrification threatened to engulf Newham.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

In which case you are again treating a secondary disease in a minority of patients, you are not treating flu itself
    That's a distinction without a difference. The flu very frequently causes secondary diseases which causes death without medical intervention. It sometimes causes death even with medical intervention. Therefore the flu requires [in many cases] medical intervention.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

Maybe we could all do everyone a favour and tone down the hysteria a bit?

I really wonder how some regular posters on here would have coped in 1940-41 when we faced a genuine existential national emergency.

Keep Calm And Carry On has much to recommend it.
  • Options
    The Home Office hasn't been fit for purpose for many years. Decades maybe.

I certainly agree that the Home Office requires new leadership and I'm hoping that Priti Patel is providing that. If that ruffles a few feathers and means that some incompetent civil servants who presided over things like Windrush etc leave it then so be it.

The Civil Service is there to impartially support the government of the day, not the other way around. The elected government are the Civil Services masters and we voters are the governments masters. The FDA needs to remember that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

That's a distinction without a difference. The flu very frequently causes secondary diseases which causes death without medical intervention. It sometimes causes death even with medical intervention. Therefore the flu requires [in many cases] medical intervention.
    If the coronavirus were to kill everyone off in the UK except @HYUFD, he would be on here saying "See, told you it wasn't so bad."
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Again it is not the flu which requires medical intervention, otherwise everyone without pneumonia but with flu would require medical treatment but only the pneumonia which requires medical treatment, a key distinction
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

But if you have three minutes, watch the highlights of LAFC absolutely schooling Leon in the North American Champions League: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/02/27/lafc-3-club-leon-0-2020-concacaf-champions-league-match-recap

(Bear in mind that Leon is one of the best teams in Lega MX, who was top of the table the last two seasons and is currently in second place.)

Three USA v Mexico match-ups in the QFs, lets see how the MLS clubs get on in those games.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

If the coronavirus were to kill everyone off in the UK except @HYUFD, he would be on here saying "See, told you it wasn't so bad."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNoGcfZg9CU
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Again it is not the flu which requires medical intervention, otherwise everyone without pneumonia but with flu would require medical treatment but only the pneumonia which requires medical treatment, a key distinction

You're just plain wrong. I never said everyone with the flu needs medical intervention but some do and that is caused by the flu, not coincidental to it.

Your logic is like saying AIDS doesn't kill or medical intervention because you can cope without an immune system so long as you don't pick up an infection.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

I really wonder how some regular posters on here would have coped in 1940-41 when we faced a genuine existential national emergency.

I don’t think I have been hysterical on here about this (though I have probably more reason than most to be worried about it). At least I hope not!

If anything am a teensy bit miffed that my brilliant header ( :smile: ) is, like every article these days, hijacked by this bloody virus, football and a baby. Pah!

Anyway, glorious weather here today. The snow on the tops outside Kendal looked magnificent and, later, there was a wonderful musician busking in Ulverston.

A bit of wind tonight but nothing out of the ordinary. I may start work on my next header or continue reading one of the many books I have.

Incidentally, this podcast is very well worth listening to - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dk0z.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

Three USA v Mexico match-ups in the QFs, lets see how the MLS clubs get on in those games.
    CONCOCAF is a bit odd. You have Lega MX, which really quite good, MLS which is improving. And then you have Jamaica and Hondurus and the like.

I'd expect the semifinals to be Atlanta vs LAFC and Tigres vs Olimpia, leading to a MLS vs Lega MX final.
  • Options

I remember about 13 years ago I built my own PC buying parts from Scan and assembling it myself. I was talking to a friend about it, saying I'd got a bargain doing it myself as it cost me less than a PC in PC World but had better specs than the best PC you could get from PC World.

My friend boasted she had a better machine than mine, I said I doubt it - and she said she does, she got the best one you could get from Brighthouse.

Needless to say her machine was not a scratch on mine and cost her over its life much, much more. About 2-3 years later she was getting a new one, I kept using mine until last year when I retired it because I didn't want a PC anymore and wanted to just use my Laptop. Had I still wanted to use a PC I'd still be using it, but I certainly wasn't expecting to get a dozen years out of the machine when I built it.
    Again, jealous.

I'd have no idea where to even start with that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,898
    Where did the article photo come from? It looks like the road my mother grew up in, or very near it.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNoGcfZg9CU
    Fortunately, we have homeopathic A&E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,898
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

His opinion poll reports would be closer to the mark, as well.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,011

I certainly agree that the Home Office requires new leadership and I'm hoping that Priti Patel is providing that. If that ruffles a few feathers and means that some incompetent civil servants who presided over things like Windrush etc leave it then so be it.

The Civil Service is there to impartially support the government of the day, not the other way around. The elected government are the Civil Services masters and we voters are the governments masters. The FDA needs to remember that.
    Yes the Civil Service is beholden to the wishes of the government of the day. That said Ministers have no right to be abusive towards individual Civil Servants, irrespective of how high their salary is, and that is the allegation.

This is basic employment law and common decency.

Is this government not subject to any of the constraints of its predecessors?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,837
    On a more cheery note, the cavalry are on their way...

https://www.biocentury.com/article/304515
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,104

I think there's a romanticised perception of how "calm" we all really were.

Had sites like this I think there'd have been plenty of posters (secure in their anonymity) who would have been quite happily panicking about what they would do if the Germans invaded.

I've little doubt that had the Germans invaded we'd have seen the same civilian panic in southern England that occurred in North East France and was so cruelly exploited by the Luftwaffe.

A forum like this provides an insight into a sub-section of the population so perhaps not so much can be derived from its observation.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

We must rally to your support at this very difficult time for you

You have my full understanding and best wishes at this time for both of you

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

I don’t think I have been hysterical on here about this (though I have probably more reason than most to be worried about it). At least I hope not!

If anything am a teensy bit miffed that my brilliant header ( :smile: ) is, like every article these days, hijacked by this bloody virus, football and a baby. Pah!

Anyway, glorious weather here today. The snow on the tops outside Kendal looked magnificent and, later, there was a wonderful musician busking in Ulverston.

A bit of wind tonight but nothing out of the ordinary. I may start work on my next header or continue reading one of the many books I have.

Incidentally, this podcast is very well worth listening to - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dk0z.

Sorry Cyclefree.

Give me a minute I'll read it properly and get back to you.
  • Options

nichomar said:

It is an important reminder of the importance of looking after each other, and our interdependence.

I am hoping we can keep it out a bit longer.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

His opinion poll reports would be closer to the mark, as well.
    He then clones himself to replenish the population and fill all essential positions in society:

Your PM? HYUFD
    Your Trident captain? HYUFD
    Your LOTO? HYUFD
    Your Scottish First Minister? HYUFD
    Your dentist? HYUFD
    Your taxi driver? HYUFD
    You? HYUFD

:smile:
  • Options

Again, jealous.

If you buy good mid to high range from 2010 onwards, still performs pretty good now. That story above could be from any place that sells consumer goods to the uninformed.

Got a refurbed machine off ebay for somone one the other £55. Came with windows 10 (proper license), second gen i3, 4gb of memory and an solid state disk in a case that was immaculate. That £50 computer would out perform most up to £400 on the high street.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Thanks for All your support, I am losing the plot which is why I occasionally let rip. I thought it was bad enough when Denise had heart failure during an operation five years ago and now has no short or medium term memory but finding out I have ...... is pushing me to the edge. Am calming down now but my apologies for the OTTbehaviour.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

You are making yourself look like a total idiot.
  • Options
    On topic, that is a superb piece by Cyclefree that deserves careful reading by all.

I was too quick to react to the judgement (which I hadn't read, as I found finding it a bit too much effort) and I reflexively criticised the court.

I was wrong to do so.

There needs to be a political and legal coherence to the policies the Government makes, or it needs to change those policies.

What Heathrow really needs (the 3rd runway was always planned to be carbon neutral) is an analysis of how it will affect air traffic vs. the Government's carbon targets (it might even help a bit by offsetting stacking and waiting times) and a national plan to encourage the development of electric short haul planes and renewable aviation.

In other words, some careful and sober joined up thinking. Not one of Grayling's strengths.

I hope Shapps is different. And braver.
  • Options

Again, jealous.

Like everything these days, there is help and advice on building your own PCs on the web and Youtube. Or you can cheat and go to integrators like Mesh or PCSpecialists who will do it for you -- you pick the parts on their web sites and they screw them together. Being lazy, I've just last Monday taken delivery of such a PC. Its predecessor lasted almost 10 years.

That said, for most people, for basic web use, spreadsheets and cat videos, any new machine is adequate and can be had for less than £500. Refurbished machines can be very good value too. I'm typing this on a refurbished Thinkpad.
  • Options

Yes the Civil Service is beholden to the wishes of the government of the day. That said Ministers have no right to be abusive towards individual Civil Servants, irrespective of how high their salary is, and that is the allegation.

This is basic employment law and common decency.

Is this government not subject to any of the constraints of its predecessors?
    The government is subject to the same constraints Ed Balls was when he lost a comparable Employment Tribunal.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You're just plain wrong. I never said everyone with the flu needs medical intervention but some do and that is caused by the flu, not coincidental to it.

Your logic is like saying AIDS doesn't kill or medical intervention because you can cope without an immune system so long as you don't pick up an infection.
    It is a minority who pick up secondary infections which having the flu makes harder to fight off, again hospital treatment is not required for the flu just for secondary infections generally amongst more vulnerable patients such as the elderly.

So my original point that the majority of patients with coronavirus are better off in bed with broth than bothering hospitals stands absolutely
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

What out of that is factually wrong? Nothing
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Thanks for All your support, I am losing the plot which is why I occasionally let rip. I thought it was bad enough when Denise had heart failure during an operation five years ago and now has no short or medium term memory but finding out I have ...... is pushing me to the edge. Am calming down now but my apologies for the OTTbehaviour.
    You deserve our understanding and support and admiration for the frankness of your situation

You are not alone and please seek help and advice, best not to carry this worry alone

All the very best to both of you
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

nichomar said:

It is an interesting header, but life is full of events...

I am thinking of a header too, that would be of interest in more normal times.

Personally, I am not bothered either way by Heathrow. I hate flying from it because of the awful traffic getting there. When I do fly, I much prefer Birmingham, which has excellent links Via KLM, Turkish Airlines and Emirates. Simply a much more pleasant way to start a journey.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Quite a common event to be fair
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, there’s a fine line between regulating interest rates on ‘sub-prime’ loans, and making the sector so unprofitable that companies exit the market and people have to turn to more ‘unconventional’ means of borrowing money instead.
    Credit for those with a poor history is slowly been closed off by those thinking 2000% interest rates are disgraceful. Loan sharking is one of those things that kind of went away. Theyll be back.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nichomar said:

It is an important reminder of the importance of looking after each other, and our interdependence.

I know Philip Thompson considers the current low numbers to be evidence of Boris' genius, but isn't it true in an age of air travel the principal factor so far has been luck?

If the travellers who imported Corona virus were destined for London rather than Lombardy it could be the UK rather than Italy that would be in lock down.

I fear we are in the lap of the gods.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,036

On topic, that is a superb piece by Cyclefree that deserves careful reading by all.

I was too quick to react to the judgement (which I hadn't read, as I found finding it a bit too much effort) and I reflexively criticised the court.

I was wrong to do so.

There needs to be a political and legal coherence to the policies the Government makes, or it needs to change those policies.

What Heathrow really needs (the 3rd runway was always planned to be carbon neutral) is an analysis of how it will affect air traffic vs. the Government's carbon targets (it might even help a bit by offsetting stacking and waiting times) and a national plan to encourage the development of electric short haul planes and renewable aviation.

In other words, some careful and sober joined up thinking. Not one of Grayling's strengths.

Very shot hauls could be done by flying bum:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/DxNomrpEHra3uUWv7
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,232
  • Options
    edited February 2020

While your last paragraph is absolutely true, that does not absolve Ministers from complying with employment law. Nor does it deprive civil servants of their rights .

I do not know who is in the right in this case and there may well be fault on both sides.

I would make the following points, though:-

1. Suing for unfair dismissal on the basis that you’ve been constructively dismissed i.e. that your employer has behaved in a way which has broken the trust and confidence there has to be in any employment relationship is not for the faint-hearted.

2. All the more so if, as appears to have been the case here, a financial settlement was offered which would certainly have been more than what a tribunal can award him.

3. So why do it? Arrogance? A desire to hurt the Minister? Foolish hubris? Or sufficient evidence of far more bad behaviour than has already come out which will lead to a better settlement offer? Who knows? We may never find out since it will be in the interests of everyone to settle this.

4. It really should not have come to this. What was the Cabinet Secretary doing? If the relationship was not as good as it should have been this should have been sorted long before now.

5. A minister is entitled to have a PS they have confidence in. Equally, they also need to understand that implementation of government policies will depend on the cadre of public servants and that real leadership to get the best out of them is not going to be achieved through fear or abuse. Challenge - yes. High expectations - yes, again. Intolerance of incompetence - yes. But none of these should involve abuse.

6. A Minister also needs to understand that civil servants do need to speak truth to power, that this is an essential part of their job. The skill of a good Minister is being able to distinguish between civil servants saying no for the sake of it and those saying no for good reasons. That often requires some experience in actually running things yourselves and knowing how to recognise inertia, obstructionism and genuine issues, as well as knowing how to pull the right levers to get things done and which battles to fight.

7. A mixture of guile, bossiness and charm is needed. Does Priti have this or is she - possibly - out of her depth, not necessarily because of her personal qualities (or not just these) but because the Home Office is such a wide-ranging department and because it is at the core of so many of the government’s key policies? That is a lot even for an experienced Minister to deal with.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

While your last paragraph is absolutely true, that does not absolve Ministers from complying with employment law. Nor does it deprive civil servants of their rights .

I do not know who is in the right in this case and there may well be fault on both sides.

1. Suing for unfair dismissal on the basis that you’ve been constructively dismissed I.e. that your employer has behaved in a way which has broken the trust and confidence there has to be in any employment relationship is not for the faint-hearted.

2. All the more so if, as appears to have been the case here, a financial settlement was offered which would certainly have been more than what a tribunal can award him.

3. So why do it? Arrogance? A desire to hurt the Minister? Foolish hubris? Or sufficient evidence of far more bad behaviour than has already come out which will lead to a better settlement offer? Who knows? We may never find out since it will be in the interests of everyone to settle this.

4. It really should not have come to this. What was the Cabinet Secretary doing? If the relationship was not as good as it should have been this should have been sorted long before now.

5. A minister is entitled to have a PS they have confidence in. Equally, they also need to understand that implementation of government policies will depend on the cadre of public servants and that real leadership to get the best out of them is not going to be achieved through fear or abuse. Challenge - yes. High expectations - yes, again. Intolerance of incompetence - yes. But none of these should involve abuse.

6. A Minister also needs to understand that civil servants do need to speak truth to power, that this is an essential part of their job. The skill of a good Minister is being able to distinguish between civil servants saying no for the sake of it and those saying no for good reasons. That often requires some experience in actually running things yourselves and knowing how to recognise inertia, obstructionism and genuine issues, as well as knowing how to pull the right levers to get things done and which battles to fight.

7. A mixture of guile, bossiness and charm is needed. Does Priti have this or is she - possibly - out of her depth, not necessarily because of her personal qualities (or not just these) but because the Home Office is such a wide-ranging department and because it is at the core of so many of the government’s key policies? That is a lot even for an experienced Minister to deal with.
    Good post Cyclefree
  • Options
    stodge said:

I think there's a romanticised perception of how "calm" we all really were.

Had sites like this I think there'd have been plenty of posters (secure in their anonymity) who would have been quite happily panicking about what they would do if the Germans invaded.

I've little doubt that had the Germans invaded we'd have seen the same civilian panic in southern England that occurred in North East France and was so cruelly exploited by the Luftwaffe.

A forum like this provides an insight into a sub-section of the population so perhaps not so much can be derived from its observation.
    There'd have been more debate on pb-1940 about defending HMG against incompetent adventurists like the serially disloyal Churchill, and the need to make peace before the country was bankrupt (which it was by the end of the war).

As for invasion, when it was wargamed later, based on the Luftwaffe having achieved air superiority, it was established that the invasion would have lasted about three days before being cut off then rounded up. The British army, since Dunkirk, was at home, admittedly without heavy weapons left in France. The Royal Navy was far more powerful than the Kriegsmarine and would have taken 2 or 3 days to steam from Scapa Flow or the Mediterranean, sink the invaders and destroy any captured ports.

• Options

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

I know Philip Thompson considers the current low numbers to be evidence of Boris' genius, but isn't it true in an age of air travel the principal factor so far has been luck?

If the travellers who imported Corona virus were destined for London rather than Lombardy it could be the UK rather than Italy that would be in lock down.

Nevertheless, the UK has a system in place to rapidly identify and test people who might have Coronavirus, and has been quick to encourage people who might be infected to stay home.

That's a lot better than the US.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Should a Minister have to be Joan Collins to get the best out of their civil servants? It shouldn't be a battle of wills, the civil servants surely *should* do as they're told to the best of their ability.
  • Options

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

I never said Boris's genius. I said because of the actions of the NHS, the government and the vast amount of testing we've been doing.

How many people caused the outbreak in Lombardy?

As far as I understand it the Lombardy outbreak might actually trace back to just one "Patient Zero" who infected others, and they infected others, for weeks before they were diagnosed. And that at least one of those had sought medical treatment early on but had been sent home without being tested. If they had been tested like we're doing then that Patient Zero could have been traced and the illness stopped in its tracks.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,232
    Any news from South Carolina so far?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Should a Minister have to be Joan Collins to get the best out of their civil servants? It shouldn't be a battle of wills, the civil servants surely *should* do as they're told to the best of their ability.
    ...but for the millionth time, without being abused by their masters.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Both New Labour and even more so the Conservatives appear to have taken Yes, Minister as documentary evidence that governments are routinely frustrated by a hostile Civil Service secretly loyal to the other side, hence growing armies of SpAds. And that is betting without Dominic Cummings who thinks they are all useless anyway.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The basic principal is that the civil service advises, the ministers decide and the civil service implements the decision. Sometimes I get the feeling the CS see it as a negotiation between them and the government.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Nevertheless, the UK has a system in place to rapidly identify and test people who might have Coronavirus, and has been quick to encourage people who might be infected to stay home.

The US has such screwed up poverty and employment protections that many low income people can't afford to stay home.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

1. Suing for unfair dismissal on the basis that you’ve been constructively dismissed i.e. that your employer has behaved in a way which has broken the trust and confidence there has to be in any employment relationship is not for the faint-hearted.

That's an excellent piece. My view is that if a Minister does not have confidence in their PS, they should replace them, and our system needs to make it easy for them to do that.

I do, however, worry that Ms Patel lacks management skills: one doesn't slag off an incompetent underling to the press, one lets them go.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Both New Labour and even more so the Conservatives appear to have taken Yes, Minister as documentary evidence that governments are routinely frustrated by a hostile Civil Service secretly loyal to the other side, hence growing armies of SpAds. And that is betting without Dominic Cummings who thinks they are all useless anyway.
    Yes, Minister was so realistic it was effectively a documentary, that was said by many of its contemporaries at the time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Reassuring to learn.

To many in the US, I suspect the power of prayer trump's science.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

The latest case in Spain is a 39:year old woman who has just returned from five days in Belgium where there is no risk zone. I think that the most important thing is that nations share information and put their pride away. It’s a little like fish! They don’t belong to any nation and he virus is not someone else’s problem. Pull together forget about trade deals etc for twelve months and wok together, ..please!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

But we have no proof of these allegations. Maybe we need to wait and see
  • Options

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

I never said Boris's genius. I said because of the actions of the NHS, the government and the vast amount of testing we've been doing.

How many people caused the outbreak in Lombardy?

As far as I understand it the Lombardy outbreak might actually trace back to just one "Patient Zero" who infected others, and they infected others, for weeks before they were diagnosed. And that at least one of those had sought medical treatment early on but had been sent home without being tested. If they had been tested like we're doing then that Patient Zero could have been traced and the illness stopped in its tracks.
    A testament to the NHS rather than Boris I can wholeheartedly accept. Good post!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

What out of that is factually wrong? Nothing
    Lots. This all started by you claiming "Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery" which is absolute garbage since there won't be "near zero" patients who end up in ICU's with illnesses caused by this like pneumonia. That is why people are dieing FFS.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Sorry to hear that @nichomar. It is going to be OK. Health systems will not collapse. People will continue to receive the care they need. I wish you a recovery that shocks you with its speed.

Certain people here need to confine their gibberings on this topic to a few posts a day, rather than scouring Twitter for the most alarming material they can find. At the moment it's Coronaporn.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

1. Suing for unfair dismissal on the basis that you’ve been constructively dismissed is not for the faint-hearted.

That's an excellent piece. My view is that if a Minister does not have confidence in their PS, they should replace them, and our system needs to make it easy for them to do that.

I do, however, worry that Ms Patel lacks management skills: one doesn't slag off an incompetent underling to the press, one lets them go.
    Critically, one doesn’t call them incompetent, even if they are, but simply says that there is a difference of style/personality clash etc. If someone is incompetent, that should be dealt with through normal HR processes.

Guile - not war. This is not the battle she should have fought - or, at least, not in this way. The Windrush report, for instance, would have been a much better occasion to make a personnel change.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

The latest case in Spain is a 39:year old woman who has just returned from five days in Belgium where there is no risk zone. I think that the most important thing is that nations share information and put their pride away. It’s a little like fish! They don’t belong to any nation and he virus is not someone else’s problem. Pull together forget about trade deals etc for twelve months and wok together, ..please!
    Absolutely we need to share information. Makes no difference whether we're talking the UK, Italy, South Korea, Singapore, USA or China. We all need to co-operate via the WHO.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Critically, one doesn’t call them incompetent, even if they are, but simply says that there is a difference of style/personality clash etc. If someone is incompetent, that should be dealt with through normal HR processes.

Guile - not war. This is not the battle she should have fought - or, at least, not in this way. The Windrush report, for instance, would have been a much better occasion to make a personnel change.

Well, the latter is a great point. Possibly that is what would have happened, so he's jumped before being pushed.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I wasn't being specific to Ms Patel I was thinking more generally. As you have brought the subject up, and bearing in mind her past form I suspect no smoke, no fire!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It would have but instead of the people responsible for Windrush carrying the can, a newly arrived Home Secretary who'd had absolutely nothing to do with it fell on her sword despite not being responsible whatsoever.

The Home Office hasn't been fit for purpose for years or decades. Early would have been better but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be making changes now.

And we have no idea what HR processes have been followed either, especially since we know they'd been offered a settlement prior to this. Sometimes in situations like this somebody jumps before they are pushed.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

The basic principal is that the civil service advises, the ministers decide and the civil service implements the decision. Sometimes I get the feeling the CS see it as a negotiation between them and the government.
    How a decision is implemented makes the difference between a Minister’s success or failure. So yes of course a Minister has to learn how to get the best out of their staff. As anyone anywhere in a position of leadership has to.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

How a decision is implemented makes the difference between a Minister’s success or failure. So yes of course a Minister has to learn how to get the best out of their staff. As anyone anywhere in a position of leadership has to.
    Absolutely! And they need to have the right staff around them too.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,853

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Reassuring to learn.

To many in the US (even those who we would call middle class), I suspect prayer is all they can afford.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Yes, Minister was so realistic it was effectively a documentary, that was said by many of its contemporaries at the time.
    A lot of it was said to be based on the 1950s and 60s, with the Yes, Minister team being advised by Labour's Marcia Williams and Bernard Donoughue.
  • Options
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Reassuring to learn.

To many in the US (even those who we would call middle class), I suspect prayer is all they can afford.
    Very true!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I wasn't being specific to Ms Patel I was thinking more generally. As you have brought the subject up, and bearing in mind her past form I suspect no smoke, no fire!
    Past form shows us the Home Office wasn't fit for purpose and needed changes, now a Home Secretary is there to make changes the old guard there aren't happy.

I can't recall any past allegations of bullying or abuse regarding Patel (my apologies if it has been a past issue) but I can certainly recall many past issues of Home Office incompetence.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,118

I was wrong to do so.

Agreed; it is an excellent piece.
    And kudos to you too, Casino, for reconsidering. Way too often we all express opinion based on our prejudices without actually taking the time to question them.
This discussion has been closed.