Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flying into trouble – the government’s position on Heathrow?

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,932
    tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I reckon Trump is doomed now.

I doubt it, especially as the left-wing Sanders is his likely opponent and he can state his hardline border control policy reduces the risks of coronavirus entering the USA
    You think he’ll do an Iraqi Information Minister act and tell people there’s no virus as people are dropping down dead all around him?
    The death rate for coronavirus is under 0.5% for under 50s, it only rises to more than 10% even amongst over 80s so that is not going to happen
    12m Americans are over 80 so that’s a good 1.2m deaths.
    Given the average life expectancy in the US is 79 most of them would have already lived longer than the national average anyway
    Oh well that’s okay then. No political consequences.
    HYUFD believes that in the UK we will be perfectly fine with 250,000 dead and 1.5m in intensive care, because "500,000 die in a normal year". So we will barely notice.

The 1918 Spanish flu is still etched into our collective memory- it's a 100 years ago- and we all know about it
    I just know the name. It could be a hopscotch-tournament for all I know otherwise. It is not etched in our memories.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,846
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I doubt it, especially as the left-wing Sanders is his likely opponent and he can state his hardline border control policy reduces the risks of coronavirus entering the USA
    If people start dropping like flies because they have little or no access to free Medicare, and Trump continues to complain that Coronavirus is all fake news, the ghost of Osama Bin Laden would beat him.
    Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery
    Er, no!

While 80% have minor problems, the other 20% have much more significant disease, and 10% require critical care with ventilatory and cardiovascular support. Those patients are very likely to die without.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

You think he’ll do an Iraqi Information Minister act and tell people there’s no virus as people are dropping down dead all around him?
    The death rate for coronavirus is under 0.5% for under 50s, it only rises to more than 10% even amongst over 80s so that is not going to happen
    Given the average life expectancy in the US is 79 most of them would have already lived longer than the national average anyway
    HYUFD believes that in the UK we will be perfectly fine with 250,000 dead and 1.5m in intensive care, because "500,000 die in a normal year". So we will barely notice.

The 1918 Spanish flu is still etched into our collective memory- it's a 100 years ago- and we all know about it
    Spanish flu had a 20% death rate, not 2% like coronavirus and we got over that
    Yes, by definition we are going to "get over" anything which doesn't have a death rate approaching 100%. What is your point?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,058
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Spanish flu had a less than 2% death rate- and it infected about 60-80% of the world......

Coronavirus is a horrific disease....70% may get mild symptoms....but 30% of the infected will almost certainly think they are dying in the most horrible circumstances because they cannot breathe....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,005
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

If people start dropping like flies because they have little or no access to free Medicare, and Trump continues to complain that Coronavirus is all fake news, the ghost of Osama Bin Laden would beat him.
    Er, no!

While 80% have minor problems, the other 20% have much more significant disease, and 10% require critical care with ventilatory and cardiovascular support. Those patients are very likely to die without.
    So for 80% ie the vast majority hospital treatment is irrelevant, for the remaining 20% hospital treatment might help but they are more likely to be over 80 and not far from death anyway
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Spanish flu had a less than 2% death rate- and it infected about 60-80% of the world......

Coronavirus is a horrific disease....70% may get mild symptoms....but 30% of the infected will almost certainly think they are dying in the most horrible circumstances because they cannot breathe....
    No, Spanish flu had a 10 to 20% death rate

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/The-Spanish-Flu-pandemic-of-1918/
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,042
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery, the vast majority who get it are far betting lying in bed at home with hot broth and the vast majority of them will then recover
    Great Heavens, HYUFD, I had no idea you were a medical man.
    Anyone with half a brain knows there is no drug cure for flu, same with coronavirus, Lemsip and paracetamol ease the symptoms they do not cure it, there is no surgery for it either, you just have to ride it out
    When I'm getting a common cold, I use eardrops made of hydrogen peroxide and distilled water. The hydrogen peroxide bubbles a lot and tickles. The sensation is not unlike a wax softening ear drop. You let it do its thing for a minute or so, then drain it on a tissue and do the other ear. Kills the cold stone dead. Only had it fail once when I didn't catch it early enough.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

So for 80% ie the vast majority hospital treatment is irrelevant, for the remaining 20% hospital treatment might help but they are more likely to be over 80 and not far from death anyway
    The virus in itself is not the biggest problem it is the impact on the health system that is the problem. If you were waiting for cancer surgery and post operative treatment you would, like me, be praying that the system does not collapse. It is not just a few old buggies will die it’s the impact on everything else.m
  • Options
    eadric said:

What's amazing is that there are people out there happily walking about, who are unaware that this out-of-control locomotive is hurtling towards us.

Many don't have a clue.

They could cross the road and get run over, you take a risk every day you walk out of the house, if they are under 50 even if they get cv they are 99.5% likely to recover so why shouldn't they go out?
  • Options
    That's a heck of a dead cat Boris. Lots of newspaper headlines getting rewritten.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Hospital treatment will have near zero impact on coronavirus recovery, the vast majority who get it are far betting lying in bed at home with hot broth and the vast majority of them will then recover
    Anyone with half a brain knows there is no drug cure for flu, same with coronavirus, Lemsip and paracetamol ease the symptoms they do not cure it, there is no surgery for it either, you just have to ride it out
    When I'm getting a common cold, I use eardrops made of hydrogen peroxide and distilled water. The hydrogen peroxide bubbles a lot and tickles. The sensation is not unlike a wax softening ear drop. You let it do its thing for a minute or so, then drain it on a tissue and do the other ear. Kills the cold stone dead. Only had it fail once when I didn't catch it early enough.
    For most probably more effective than most other things
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Spanish Flu was rather different, but probably a worldwide infection rate of around 30% and mortality of 10%, so 3% of world population.

Tasmania had very effective quarantine, not getting it until the 3rd wave. Samoa the worst, though parts of Alaska were higher.

Lockdowns and social isolation are the order of the day, so the survivors will be Montana Survivalist Militias, Japanese gamers, and of course PB.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

it's about 30-40% in Italy requiring hospitalisation....but will probably get less as those with mild symptoms will not be tested or counted.....so 20% is right...

I'm trying to work out what planet HYFUD is on.

China's get on top of it (maybe) with draconian measures....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

What's amazing is that there are people out there happily walking about, who are unaware that this out-of-control locomotive is hurtling towards us.

Many don't have a clue.

They could cross the road and get run over, you take a risk every day you walk out of the house, if they are under 50 even if they get cv they are 99.5% likely to recover so why shouldn't they go out?
    Not to mention good sleep is probably second to hand washing in avoiding the virus. Id imagine continuing your everyday life is far superior for sleep than entering a state of hyper anxiety.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

The virus in itself is not the biggest problem it is the impact on the health system that is the problem. If you were waiting for cancer surgery and post operative treatment you would, like me, be praying that the system does not collapse. It is not just a few old buggies will die it’s the impact on everything else.m
    So make clear then the vast majority who get it should stay home and not bother their local hospital and stay in bed and drink broth unless they are elderly and really need treatment
  • Options
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

Wuhan has managed to keep the infection rate lower, but only with draconian quarantine.

But yeah, we will run out of respirators.
    The morbidly obese with their cpap machines will outlive us all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Nonsense.

We have our flu jabs each year and I have had a pneumonia one as well

If you are talking of covid 19 then a vaccine will be forthcoming at some point
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,042
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

For most probably more effective than most other things
    They clean ambulances with hydrogen peroxide. It's an extremely effective killer of pathogens. It lets rip oxygen all over them. Nobody is sure why eardrops are said to work, but ear nose and throat are all related aren't they? Possible the cold lodges in there in the beginning.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

Is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2IuJPh6h_A

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2naLJABWNM

?

You’ve staked your ground.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Trump trolling Democrats with a big South Carolina rally ahead of the Democratic primary in the state tonight

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1233788838755151872?s=20

He clearly genuinely believes Coronavirus is a hoax.

I hope he's right.
    It's a west coast problem at the moment.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,671
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Just build the bloody runway, and if they have to pass new legislation first then do that. Over a decade of talking about it so far, the only winner is Schipol until they start digging.

A global player needs a global transit hub, not one where half the short-haul programme gets binned on a foggy day.

Nor one where half the country can't actually fly into it for onward flights - For me Schipol is the only option.. Thankfully I didn't finish booking Milan at Easter..
    From memory Heathrow has connections to 7 other UK airports, Manchester is connected to 13 and Schipol 21.

Schipol is the natural hub for the majority of the UK and if connecting at a hub is good enough for those of us away from London then surely it can be for those in London as well.
    Both KLM and Emirates connect more UK destinations to their hubs than BA do into LHR. BA need that third runway open yesterday.
    That shouldn't be that surprising: simply, there's no point in BA creating a London City to London Heathrow route, as the distances are simply too small.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    Cyclefree said:
    It’s a bit below your usual day rate, but you know you want to!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,146
    Apocalypse incoming, Liverpool are going to lose a PL match
  • Options
    I think one thing that is worth mentioning re rate dates etc, even without a vaccine we are still at the stages were best practice is still been established.

A lot of things that will be tried on people will just be guessing at what is probably a good approach.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

Nah, the more rational approach is to get out and enjoy life before it hits.

Watford fans certainly enjoying their evening!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

Your approach is admirably clear: either hyufd dies, omg and how terrible, or hyufd doesn't die and everything is hunky dory, the end. That's fine, but the large majority of us are less obsessed with our own personal survival, and are interested in the many very significant ways in which hunky doriness is going to dip below 100% in the foreseeable future, whether we survive or not. You may not be interested in that conversation, but that isn't a reason for trying to shut it down.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,020
    Pulpstar said:

And the team that beats them will probably get relegated anyway! Madness unfolding!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,462
    Pulpstar said:

Quiet you; plenty of time left for Liverpool to get at least a draw.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,020
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

So make clear then the vast majority who get it should stay home and not bother their local hospital and stay in bed and drink broth unless they are elderly and really need treatment
    There's gonna be a big demand for broth. Go long on broth stocks.
    I want a fund manager who can short airlines and go long mask manufacturers.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

Nah, the more rational approach is to get out and enjoy life before it hits.

Watford fans certainly enjoying their evening!
    I agree.....but I doubt the Champions League is going to reach it's conclusion this year and City are nailed on.....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Quiet you; plenty of time left for Liverpool to get at least a draw.
    2-0 down! You'd have got some amazing odds on that this morning!
  • Options
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Trump trolling Democrats with a big South Carolina rally ahead of the Democratic primary in the state tonight

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1233788838755151872?s=20

He clearly genuinely believes Coronavirus is a hoax.

I hope he's right.
    He had a big rally in a large enclosed space even as lethal coronavirus starts slaughtering Americans?

Interesting electoral tactic. Infect and kill thousands of your own activists and supporters.
    There's a certain irony here: the more your supporters love you and flock to see you, the more likely they (and the candidate) are to end up sick.

By contrast, if you are a dull and plodding speaker suffering from clear signs of mental decline, barely anyone turns up to see you speak.

Biden could be in with a shout here...
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

HYUFD said:

So how many kids does that make it for Boris?

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1233806817026805762?s=20

Congrats to them both, will be the first new baby in No 10 since Blair.

Boris is 55 so will be very much an older father to his latest child, Carrie is only 31 though and will be her first child. Trump was even older at 60 when Melania had Barron, so Boris again following The Donald
    Imagine turning 18 and having a 73/4 year old Boris as your dad. Or don't......
    Didn't Des O'Connor have a kid in his 70s?
    He has a 13 year old son, that's probably why he's still working at the age of 88.

Bloke in India who died the other day, fathered two kids in his 90's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramjit_Raghav

• Options
    eadric said:

France is following the exact path of previous outbreaks

https://twitter.com/oli3be/status/1233823800338403331?s=20

The pattern will repeat everywhere.

No, that's cherrypicked data. Graph the UK's data.
  • Options
    tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I dont think it is. The word 'flu' is thrown around interchangeably with a common winter cold. "its only the flu" say many people on social media.

I'm not sure if I have ever had the flu, have had dozens of colds. The last one was possibly the worst I have had a few months ago where i felt utterly awful for a week. But i took no more medication than paracetamol and bed rest.

The word has little fear.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Nonsense.

Flu jabs do not guarantee you will not get flu, they just boost your immunity a little, they are irrelevant once you have caught flu
  • Options
    OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOOOODDDDD!!!!

We've run out of beer in the Casino household.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,366
    edited February 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

Your approach is admirably clear: either hyufd dies, omg and how terrible, or hyufd doesn't die and everything is hunky dory, the end. That's fine, but the large majority of us are less obsessed with our own personal survival, and are interested in the many very significant ways in which hunky doriness is going to dip below 100% in the foreseeable future, whether we survive or not. You may not be interested in that conversation, but that isn't a reason for trying to shut it down.
    Happily walking about is part of the practical solution to limit the drop in hunky doriness. It is the rational and helpful approach at the moment. It may change as more people get infected.

Hyper anxiety achieves little positive and plenty negative.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

Because they can still catch it, carry it, give it to older people, people with other health issues, kill their grannies, and so on and so forth. Fear will grip us all, and for good reason, because it is scary. See the many many videos out of Wuhan.

I'm not sure you understand human emotions, or indeed humans.
    Well just give visiting granny a miss then while coronavirus is around and phone her instead
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Just build the bloody runway, and if they have to pass new legislation first then do that. Over a decade of talking about it so far, the only winner is Schipol until they start digging.

A global player needs a global transit hub, not one where half the short-haul programme gets binned on a foggy day.

Nor one where half the country can't actually fly into it for onward flights - For me Schipol is the only option.. Thankfully I didn't finish booking Milan at Easter..
    From memory Heathrow has connections to 7 other UK airports, Manchester is connected to 13 and Schipol 21.

Schipol is the natural hub for the majority of the UK and if connecting at a hub is good enough for those of us away from London then surely it can be for those in London as well.
    Both KLM and Emirates connect more UK destinations to their hubs than BA do into LHR. BA need that third runway open yesterday.
    That shouldn't be that surprising: simply, there's no point in BA creating a London City to London Heathrow route, as the distances are simply too small.
    No, but places like Birmingham, Exeter, Cardiff and Bristol would support flights into Heathrow if there were more slots available. Currently anyone living in those cities goes through Amsterdam instead.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Nonsense.

Flu jabs do not guarantee you will not get flu, they just boost your immunity a little, they are irrelevant once you have caught flu
    I understand they try to predict the strains and give out specific immunisations against only those strains.
  • Options
    Fucksake Watford, do not sit deep.
  • Options

tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I dont think it is. The word 'flu' is thrown around interchangeably with a common winter cold. "its only the flu" say many people on social media.

I'm not sure if I have ever had the flu, have had dozens of colds. The last one was possibly the worst I have had a few months ago where i felt utterly awful for a week. But i took no more medication than paracetamol and bed rest.

If you’ve had flu, you’ll know you had it. A cold is irritating, flu is absolutely debilitating.
  • Options

No such problems in Chez Urquhart....along with all the Brexit stockpiling of bog roll, Mrs U ensured that we are still well stocked with vino and beer.
  • Options
    eadric said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

A virus outbreak will be fucking horrific......in Italy 30% require hospitalisation.....

the fear and chaos a wider outbreak will create is unthinkable....I hope Trump is right
    Listen to yourself. You're literally using the words "I hope Trump is right"

PS: not meaning to be rude! But as a rule of thumb, "Trump is wrong" is a good one
    Both @tyson and I hope President Trump is right, because the alternative is that 10s of millions of Americans suffer from an incredibly serious and debilitating illness.

But I fear he is not. The evidence from around the world is growing, and there are almost certainly thousands of Americans spreading the disease without realising they have it.

And for those of you who think the Summer season and warmer weather solves it, look at Iran. It's been in the mid-20s in Iran, and it's clearly not under control there.
  • Options
    I will never call Troy Deeney the C word ever again.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

There's gonna be a big demand for broth. Go long on broth stocks.
    I want a fund manager who can short airlines and go long mask manufacturers.
    WWBAD

What Would Bobby Axlerod Do...
  • Options

eadric said:

You actually believe the UK data? It’s all about who travelled where at the moment, nothing to do with control or superior management.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Nonsense.

Of course not but they are preventative and save thousands of lives

Unlike yourself I do not consider myself an expert on everything and would trust our own Dr Fox to comment on this
  • Options
    Well every Arsenal fan is celebrating today.
  • Options
    Watford 3 up !!!!!
  • Options
    I had a feeling that Watford would be Liverpool’s banana skin.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

Happily walking about is part of the practical solution to limit the drop in hunky doriness. It is the rational and helpful approach at the moment. It may change as more people get infected.

Hyper anxiety achieves little positive and plenty negative.
    Correct, but I don't see any hyper anxiety here (either overt or inadequately concealed). Just people who are interested in what's going on.
  • Options

There are two records at risk - the scoring in every game in a season is actually the more impressive one - but everyone remembers the unbeaten one.
  • Options
    matt said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

If you’ve had flu, you’ll know you had it. A cold is irritating, flu is absolutely debilitating.
    I contracted pneumonia a couple of years ago. I went from extremely fit and healthy to struggling to make it up the stairs in less than 2 days.

For about 3 days, it felt like I was a) what I imagine it is like stuck in the Sahara in the middle of the summer and b) like somebody was sitting on my chest 24/7. And I dropped nearly a stone in weight in 2 weeks.

It was an extremely scary experience.
  • Options
    Didn't want to go the season unbeaten anyway.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

eadric said:

You actually believe the UK data? It’s all about who travelled where at the moment, nothing to do with control or superior management.
    Its entirely to do with control or superior management. We've found the people who've traveled and got the illness, traced them and put them into isolation as required.

The NHS and government have done a fantastic job so far.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

Because they can still catch it, carry it, give it to older people, people with other health issues, kill their grannies, and so on and so forth. Fear will grip us all, and for good reason, because it is scary. See the many many videos out of Wuhan.

Well just give visiting granny a miss then while coronavirus is around and phone her instead
    You are all heart
  • Options

When we did it, Fergie said we drew too many games!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    tlg86 said:

I will never call Troy Deeney the C word ever again.

3 nil up against Liverpool at home and he still doesn't crack a smile. Gotta love Big Nige!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:
    It’s a bit below your usual day rate, but you know you want to!
    Yeah, the pay is rubbish. But I really might go for this one. Of course, I’ve probably nixed it now by mentioning it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,475
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

what a load of absolute bollox
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

To be fair that's entirely true. Liverpool's season will almost certainly be more impressive in the round than the Invincibles season was. Indeed Liverpool's losing season last year was more impressive than that.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

https://twitter.com/FootyHumour/status/1233831275372466181
  • Options

Do not forget City fans...and our 18 run

• Options
    tyson said:

We've still gotten to 18 too though.
  • Options
    It is no coincidence we're playing shit because Lovren has made his first PL start in three months.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,293

eadric said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

Wuhan has managed to keep the infection rate lower, but only with draconian quarantine.

I don't think those would have any effect. I was under the impression if it got serious enough you'd need oxygen and a ventilator, tube directly into the lungs.
  • Options

nichomar said:

eadric said:

Its entirely to do with control or superior management. We've found the people who've traveled and got the illness, traced them and put them into isolation as required.

Well you can believe what you want but they have done absolutely nothing to limit the spread. Than over countries.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,188

I have two lovely cans of Beavertown Gamma Ray in the fridge and I’m very much looking forward to getting stuck in.
  • Options
  • Options

tlg86 said:

To be fair that's entirely true. Liverpool's season will almost certainly be more impressive in the round than the Invincibles season was. Indeed Liverpool's losing season last year was more impressive than that.
    I think it's very difficult to compare teams across seasons. If I was being honest I'd say Chelsea 2004-06 are probably the best team I've seen.

It's more about achievements. The reason the unbeaten season in 2003-04 was so sweet is that at the start of the previous season, Wenger was asked if he thought Arsenal could do it that season. He said yes and Wayne Rooney made him look foolish.

But, I actually think scoring in every game of a season - as Arsenal did in 2001-02 is more impressive. Not even Man City in 2017-18 did that.
  • Options

tyson said:

We've still gotten to 18 too though.
    But...you are not beating it.....

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,475

Now that is what you call a pandemic
  • Options

It is no coincidence we're playing shit because Lovren has made his first PL start in three months.

Stated like a true Liverpool fan.....in unison Lovren will bee persona non gratis in Liverpool tonight....
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

I don't think those would have any effect. I was under the impression if it got serious enough you'd need oxygen and a ventilator, tube directly into the lungs.
    I would expect obstructive sleep apnoea to be a significant adverse risk factor because of the strong association with diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. I wouldn't expect CPAP to completely counteract that.
  • Options
    At least we'll be spared that ridiculous meme from Manchester United fans who think OGS is an awesome manager because he's the only manager to take points off Liverpool this season.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

No, but places like Birmingham, Exeter, Cardiff and Bristol would support flights into Heathrow if there were more slots available. Currently anyone living in those cities goes through Amsterdam instead.
    Agreed.

But take Bristol as an example. It's an hour and 45 minutes from Heathrow. To be a useful feeder for BA's international network you'd need to have regular flights (otherwise passengers are going to have to wait a couple of hours to transfer). And I just don't see the demand for 8 to 10 flights from Bristol to London a day. Even if Heathrow was expanded, I just don't see the demand.

While Bristol to Amsterdam... there's almost certainly some latent (non-transfer) demand. There's no alternative way of getting between the two places. You can see a reasonable number of flights.

If you added more slots for BA at Heathrow, it would help. But I'm not sure how much.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Now about that bleach drinking..
  • Options
    matt said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

It certainly floored me.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Which football team did you play for?
  • Options

I have two lovely cans of Beavertown Gamma Ray in the fridge and I’m very much looking forward to getting stuck in.
    10 minutes later?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,110
    edited February 2020
    In the [near] immortal words of the Blessed St. Margaret - We have become a family! :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Agreed.

But take Bristol as an example. It's an hour and 45 minutes from Heathrow. To be a useful feeder for BA's international network you'd need to have regular flights (otherwise passengers are going to have to wait a couple of hours to transfer). And I just don't see the demand for 8 to 10 flights from Bristol to London a day. Even if Heathrow was expanded, I just don't see the demand.

While Bristol to Amsterdam... there's almost certainly some latent (non-transfer) demand. There's no alternative way of getting between the two places. You can see a reasonable number of flights.

If you added more slots for BA at Heathrow, it would help. But I'm not sure how much.
    Amongst all the talk about infrastructure projects, it amazes me that we don't have plans for western access to Heathrow from the GWML. Bristol to Heathrow by train would be very quick.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Many don't have a clue.

You are all heart
    99.5% is 1/200 people die.

You go into your local pub and tell them that 1 in 200 of them will die in next three months.

As @eadric says, it is about emotion.

• Options
    A curious coincidence is the origin of the word quarantine comes from Venice putting ships from China into a 40 day (quaranta) isolation. Trading routes dont seem to have changed much despite flight and high speed rail!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

eadric said:

Well you can believe what you want but they have done absolutely nothing to limit the spread. Than over countries.
    Idiot. Yeah, sure, identifying and isolating those who're carrying the disease has done "absolutely nothing to limit the spread".

Moron!
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,906
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Agreed.

Amongst all the talk about infrastructure projects, it amazes me that we don't have plans for western access to Heathrow from the GWML. Bristol to Heathrow by train would be very quick.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Rail_Approach_to_Heathrow
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

In the [near] immortal words of the Blessed St. Margaret - We have become a family! :D
    Why are we wasting time reporting on a serial, lying sex maniac when so much else is happening? The offspring will be lucky to see its father as he moves on to the next shag
  • Options
    nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

Why are we wasting time reporting on a serial, lying sex maniac when so much else is happening? The offspring will be lucky to see its father as he moves on to the next shag
    Thank you for the view from Spain.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I think it's very difficult to compare teams across seasons. If I was being honest I'd say Chelsea 2004-06 are probably the best team I've seen.

It's more about achievements. The reason the unbeaten season in 2003-04 was so sweet is that at the start of the previous season, Wenger was asked if he thought Arsenal could do it that season. He said yes and Wayne Rooney made him look foolish.

But, I actually think scoring in every game of a season - as Arsenal did in 2001-02 is more impressive. Not even Man City in 2017-18 did that.
    It's just great to have something as easily quanitfiable as going the season unbeaten next to our name. Sure other teams have got more points in other seasons or whatever but, luckily for Arsenal fans, to be "The Invincibles" is still better.

Nice to have something to smile about :)

• Options
    nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

Kinder, gentler politics on show !!!!
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,293
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Er, no!

I would expect obstructive sleep apnoea to be a significant adverse risk factor because of the strong association with diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease. I wouldn't expect CPAP to completely counteract that.
    Some young, healthy people I work with were discussing buying cpap machines and oxygen concentrators "just in case" earlier this week.

I told them if it got to the point where they needed ventilation if they couldn't get into hospital they might as well kiss their arses goodbye.

But that goes to show you the level of hysteria that is out there. And no, I don't work with Eadric...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

You do realise that people who die from the flu don't necessarily die from the flu? They can die due to things like pneumonia that it causes.

Do you believe pneumonia is best treated with Lemsip and paracetamol?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Agreed.

Yes, you’d want to use a smaller plane and a more frequent schedule the closer your airports are to each other, otherwise people will find it easier to go by car or train instead. Heathrow’s public transport links are terrible if you’re not going to central London though, and the parking is either really expensive or miles away.

Every time I go through Amsterdam I look at the fleet of little Fokkers that KLM has going all over their short haul route. That’s how they feed all those 777s on the long haul routes. With a third runway BA could do the same.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

eadric said:

Idiot. Yeah, sure, identifying and isolating those who're carrying the disease has done "absolutely nothing to limit the spread".

Moron!
    You are the moron let’s wait and see how they cope with those cases where the source is not obvious. I doubt that I’ve ever seen another true believer of this government who is so blind to its incompetence than you. The issue is that the UK has, at yet, very few cases that it has had to track. Let’s see how they do when there are fift that haven’t been to China,Karan etc
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,809
    matt said:

No joke though, a cold. It can bring you right down for a few days.
This discussion has been closed.