Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Charleston debate: The betting verdict

SystemSystem Posts: 12,054
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Charleston debate: The betting verdict

The betdata.io chart of the Betfair exchange shows how punters responded to the latest debate. The betting loser was Bernie who was a 53% chance yesterday morning and is now a 43% one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    First like Trump
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Why is no-one talking about the anti-Muslim pogroms in India right now? Police standing by while innocent victims are beaten. This could easily spiral into genocide.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,407
    Not watching the debate, but Bernie flying out on Betfair.

Biden also in, from 12 or 13 yesterday to 9.8.

This market is still very under-round, the back prices for the eight layable candidates (including the two first lady non-runners) add to 89.14%.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    edited February 2020
    My impression viewing the debate was that Warren, Steyer, Klobuchar and Mayor Pete are no longer relevant. It's between Bernie, Bloomberg and Biden.
  • TimT said:

My impression viewing the debate was that Warren, Steyer, Klobuchar and Mayor Pete are no longer relevant. It's between Bernie, Bloomberg and Biden.

I agree to a certain extent, but I think it's just Biden and Sanders. It's very difficult for Bloomberg to come back after having such a terrible debate and introduction to the campaign last week.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited February 2020
    The two post-debate polls put Sanders out in front, with only Biden really in touch. I think all that will matter on Saturday is the margin between Sanders and Biden.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    TimT said:

The really, really old white guys have got this sewn up for 2020.

The only question is which flavour of their politics do you want? That is, if anybody really cares.....

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,250
    TimT said:

Point of order: Steyer was never relevant
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,660
    Gabs3 said:

Why is no-one talking about the anti-Muslim pogroms in India right now? Police standing by while innocent victims are beaten. This could easily spiral into genocide.

I’m afraid the honest answer is probably because the British media has little or no interest in India. I only found out about it a few minutes ago, after three days. It certainly sounds extremely grim.
    TimT said:

Three creepy white rich guys from the northeast who are all 76 or older and two of whom are not even Democrats.

What could possibly be a drawback with such a field?
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

I’m afraid the honest answer is probably because the British media has little or no interest in India. I only found out about it a few minutes ago, after three days. It certainly sounds extremely grim.
    It was in the news in December
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,583
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Three creepy white rich guys from the northeast who are all 76 or older and two of whom are not even Democrats.

I can hear the cackling in the white house from here. :o
    edited February 2020
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

The only candidates for President are four old white guys in various shades of narcissistic trauma and general decrepitude, offering their own selection of bat-shit craziness. For the next four years.

Only one of whom is a Democrat.

Way to go, primary system.....
  • This debate, like almost all of those previous, left the dynamics of the campaign intact. Sanders is guaranteed his 20 to 30 percent. The attacks on him probably solidified his base. The rest of the field is divided.

Both Bloomberg and Biden had better nights but nothing spectacular. And clearing such a low bar for the former VP isn't impressive anyway.
  • TimT said:

Yes - it seems to be a fight to see which Democrat (well, one out of three) old guy is going to lose to the (nominally) Republican old guy......
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,059

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

The only candidates for President are four old white guys in various shades of narcissistic trauma and general decrepitude, offering their own selection of bat-shit craziness. For the next four years.

It's not just the primary system that's broken. It's the whole American way of doing politics.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Nailed it

Barring a Disease X catastrophe, I can't see Trump losing. The only one who could lay a finger on him is probably Mike Bloomberg, but the Democrats decided to tear into him instead.

What a mess.
    Interesting piece. On the BBC Ten last night a British couple currently in Milan were commenting that everything is shut 'except the churches.' This has evidently been an issue in South Korea and in Iran with religious gatherings.

Moral of the story? Avoid religion. :smiley:

p.s. The Singapore Times needs training on how to write a Newspaper headline ;)

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

That’s the amazing thing. In one fell swoop, the Dems have eliminated all their main advantages. Over Trump. TRUMP, of all people.

They are a party with a death wish.
  • ydoethur said:

TimT said:

What’s wrong with being white? It’s ok to be white.
    edited February 2020

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

It’s OK to be old as well. Indeed, most of us aspire to be old at some point in the future. Or rich. Most people want to be rich. Admittedly, some people get agitated when they’re not and start shooting rich people (hello, Lenin).

But it’s a bit strange that in a very diverse nation of 300 million people you have four effectively identical candidates, even if they have some differences over policy.

It’s not even as though any of them are any actual good.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

It’s OK to be old as well. Most of us aspire to be old at some point in the future. Or rich. Most people want to be rich.

But it’s a bit strange that in a very diverse nation of 300 million people you have four effectively identical candidates, even if they have some differences over policy.
    I guess the reason why Americans are so stupid electorally speaking,(especially in even thinking about a Corbyn lookalike (policywise) is that they are so insular that the have no idea what goes on outside of a baseball game or the NFL.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

The anti Muslim Modi mobs have going on for months now.

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Snowflake alert.
    I've realised what they do with all that anthracite in Wales, in these days of zero carbon.

They carve them into artisan pillows and sell them to hotels. Goddam it, how can anyone sleep on these things?

I've realised what they do with all that anthracite in Wales, in these days of zero carbon.

They carve them into artisan pillows and sell them to hotels. Goddam it, how can anyone sleep on these things?

You mean, you don’t sleep on the floor like a normal person?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,776

Interesting piece. On the BBC Ten last night a British couple currently in Milan were commenting that everything is shut 'except the churches.' This has evidently been an issue in South Korea and in Iran with religious gatherings.

Mass was cancelled across a lot of Italy on Sunday. Communion would be particularly unwise. Today is Ash Wednesday, of course.

No alcohol for me this Lent.
    edited February 2020

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

It's clearly very OK to be a white guy at the top of American politics.

It even extends to cover a weird shade of Tampa Orange. (Or maybe that should be Tamper Orange.....)
    ydoethur said:

I thought it was in the bath. With the coal.....

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

To be fair, our own system didn't produce a great choice in December. Choose your racist liar with shady past...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    Someone's got an organised machine in Texas

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1232392693835292678

Wonder who that might be..........
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    Unlike the Tory and Lib Dem peers outed yesterday as bad uns. They like to protect each other in Westminster, appears it is full of wrong uns abusing their positions for sure.

ydoethur said:

I thought it was in the bath. With the coal.....
    Nobody sleeps with the coal in Wales.

The sheep, of course, are a different matter...
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

To be fair, our own system didn't produce a great choice in December. Choose your racist liar with shady past...
    But at least one of them was closer to fifty than ninety.
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

I thought Labour lost?

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Are you a bot?

Seems like you're almost a parody of a white working class ex-Labour voter.
    Foxy said:

Mass was cancelled across a lot of Italy on Sunday. Communion would be particularly unwise. Today is Ash Wednesday, of course.

Once gave up alcohol for Lent. Then went to a 'business lunch'. Six of us drank four bottles of wine, plus pre-pre and post prandials. I had fizzy water. One of the most bizarre experiences I've had.
    What was more worrying was that we'd all driven to the meeting.
    Did get a contract out of it, though!
  • malcolmg said:

Unlike the Tory and Lib Dem peers outed yesterday as bad uns. They like to protect each other in Westminster, appears it is full of wrong uns abusing their positions for sure.
    Any Tory or Lib Dem attempted rape, sexual assault, indecent assault, or breach of the peace trials starting soon?
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Yeah, but that just means we have to put up with him for longer!
    On topic - I had the same idea as OGH but my execution was nowhere near as deft.
    edited February 2020

Foxy said:

Once gave up alcohol for Lent. Then went to a 'business lunch'. Six of us drank four bottles of wine, plus pre-pre and post prandials. I had fizzy water. One of the most bizarre experiences I've had.
    What was more worrying was that we'd all driven to the meeting.
    Did get a contract out of it, though!
    deleted
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,130
    Which of Bernie or Bloomberg has a better chance of beating Trump?
    Honestly I think it might be Bernie.

I just can't see Bernie supporters voting for an ex Republican who backed Bush in 2004. This idea that moderate Republicans are going to vote Democrat doesn't seem likely to me either.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Odds shifting a bit but Sanders is still a strong favourite.
    Foxy said:

Communion would be fine as long as everyone dipped.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    edited February 2020

malcolmg said:

Any Tory or Lib Dem attempted rape, sexual assault, indecent assault, or breach of the peace trials starting soon?
    Pity Salmond had not taken a peerage and been immune to stitch ups and prosecutions , would never have reached the courts.
    PS: we don't have many weeks when one or other of them are not up for one of your claims, most swept under the carpet by compliant media. All you mention are de rigueur for Tory politicians.
    rkrkrk said:

I just can't see Bernie supporters voting for an ex Republican who backed Bush in 2004. This idea that moderate Republicans are going to vote Democrat doesn't seem likely to me either.

Texas on Super Tuesday will be THE tipping point methinks.

Foxy said:

So the germs on their hands end up in the wine instead?
    Alistair said:
    Another factor in American elections; the effect of turnout. An extra ten million or so for either party in the right place could make a considerable difference. And if they're Dems, could ensure change.
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Well if you really want to go ott you could install a hand sanitiser but I think that is OTT.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Yeah, but that just means we have to put up with him for longer!
    "We" being those who voted for him? Yes I suppose so.
    The ECB are determined to make sure nobody from Gloucestershire pays the slightest attention to the men’s Hundred competition.

https://www.gloscricket.co.uk/news/steve-smith-named-welsh-fire-captain-for-the-hundred/
    edited February 2020

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Well if you really want to go ott you could install a hand sanitiser but I think that is OTT.
    The logical solution is for the celebrant to use hand sanitizer and intinct the wafers themselves.

But that would be sensible and will therefore not happen.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

It’s OK to be old as well. Indeed, most of us aspire to be old at some point in the future. Or rich. Most people want to be rich. Admittedly, some people get agitated when they’re not and start shooting rich people (hello, Lenin).

I don’t aspire to be old. I just don’t want to die before I’ve had many years of good health and fun in retirement. I’m sure otherwise being old is a bit crap - like running a rusty car.

Nor do I want to be rich. That attracts attention and hangers-on. I want comfort and peace.

So I’d say a low six-figure salary for a numbers of years, followed by very decent pension, would do the trick. Own home, perhaps a timeshare somewhere else, and able to go on holiday whenever you want. Well off and comfortable.

What more do you need?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

The logical solution is for the celebrant to use hand sanitizer and intinct the wafers themselves.

Well I now know a new word...
    edited February 2020

Nor do I want to be rich. That attracts attention and hangers-on. I want comfort and peace.

So I’d say a low six-figure salary for a numbers of years

And you think that wouldn’t make you rich?!!
  • Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

I don’t know why but anyway I meet from Bombay calls it Bombay, not Mumbai.

I’m up for that because I much prefer calling it Bombay as an English speaker anyway, we don’t call Vienna “Wien”, for example.

I’m not sure if it means anything.
    edited February 2020
    If people are looking for some VP insurance, given the frontrunners are all white, male and ancient they may well want a younger black female VP to balance up the ticket.
    Kamala Harris and Stacey Abrams are both currently at 1000 (Adams only presidential market) and worth a couple of quid perhaps ?
    ydoethur said:

Rich is always defined as significantly more money than the person speaking.

I have that sort of money and lifestyle, but do not think of myself as rich, but of course I am!
  • ydoethur said:

TimT said:

I think the primary system works well for a very widely engaged and broad electorate interested in spending the time to get to know and sift through moderate candidates.

It breaks down when it narrows to just partisan activists on either side voting for their favourite ideologues, as then there’s a big disconnect between voters and activists, who just double down on the basis someone must win.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    ydoethur said:

Father Lenin, who was correct in all things, came from quite a wealthy family. He was certainly rich by the standards of the Russian Empire at the time.
    edited February 2020
    One for @TheScreamingEagles on the importance of the Oxford comma:

For over forty years La Grande Vadrouille was the most successful French film in France, topping the box office with over 17,200,000 cinema admissions. It remains the fifth most successful film ever in France (on the basis of admissions), of any nationality, behind the 1997 version of Titanic, French hits Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis (2008) and Intouchables (2011), which were seen by over 19,000,000 cinemagoers and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.[2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Grande_Vadrouille

Although I might have gone for parentheses in that one.
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I have that sort of money and lifestyle, but do not think of myself as rich, but of course I am!
    Well, yes. Rich beyond the wildest dreams of the vast majority of people. Which was of course my point.

Time to defrost the car. Have a good morning.
  • It's official, the coronavirus is the worst thing to have happened to the human race.

Apple's iPhone 12 Preparations May Be Delayed Due to Coronavirus Travel Restrictions

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/25/apple-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-iphone-12/

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

I think the primary system works well for a very widely engaged and broad electorate interested in spending the time to get to know and sift through moderate candidates.

It breaks down when it narrows to just partisan activists on either side voting for their favourite ideologues, as then there’s a big disconnect between voters and activists, who just double down on the basis someone must win.
    I think the same is true for the one member one vote systems now used by our own parties. What appeals to activists can be pretty unappealing to the rest of us.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I don't think the RC laity get wine at all do they?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Father Lenin, who was correct in all things, came from quite a wealthy family. He was certainly rich by the standards of the Russian Empire at the time.
    So just a sociopath, then.

In other news, empirical evidence that rich drivers tend to be assholes:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drivers-of-expensive-cars-are-more-dangerous-to-pedestrians-m0nbmzk80
  • Mr. B, I read somewhere or other that having a lot of physical cash reduces how much you care to how others perceive you, so you're less likely to feel bad if they judge you negatively.
    Is anyone still long Buttigieg btw ?
    I'm not.
  • So, I was reading this in The Atlantic yesterday. I may not have understood it properly, but as far as I can tell what it is saying is that Covid-19 is set to become what is essentially a new strain of winter illnesss, alongside colds and flu. If that is the case, though, why has it engendered so much panic. What am I missing?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/
  • It's official, the coronavirus is the worst thing to have happened to the human race.

Apple's iPhone 12 Preparations May Be Delayed Due to Coronavirus Travel Restrictions

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/25/apple-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-iphone-12/

While I’m a big iPhone fan, I can’t miss a meme opportunity.

• SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 675
    edited February 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

We were told at Church (C of E) on Sunday that intincting (dipping the wafer) carries a greater risk of transmitting germs than drinking from the chalice. If we are worried, we can just have the wafer and leave the wine.

Instead of shaking hands during the Sign of the Peace, we are advised to wave at each other.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

I don’t aspire to be old. I just don’t want to die before I’ve had many years of good health and fun in retirement. I’m sure otherwise being old is a bit crap - like running a rusty car.

So I’d say a low six-figure salary for a numbers of years, followed by very decent pension, would do the trick. Own home, perhaps a timeshare somewhere else, and able to go on holiday whenever you want. Well off and comfortable.

What more do you need?
    I wish I had such low aspirations as you....

Mr. B, I read somewhere or other that having a lot of physical cash reduces how much you care to how others perceive you, so you're less likely to feel bad if they judge you negatively.

That'll explain Mike Bloomberg then.
  • Very good, in-depth interview with Starmer in the Huffington Post. The more the Labour party keeps me waiting for my ballot, the more inclined I am to give him my first choice vote. He is a grown-up and, my God, we need a few of them in our politics right now. They are very few and far between. As things stand, I am still going to vote Nandy 1, Starmer 2, but I am giving it a lot more thought now.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-huffpost-interview-bigger-the-win-the-better_uk_5e5516e4c5b6ad3de384561c?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly90LmNvL0g4NkNiem5xT28_YW1wPTE&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAM2Gy4EjtuoKMRql3Cw-SP7iq06peu6h0sueJ_fMwZDHQVpFfI2h8WiHBuznwGO094MPNUv7AbQUqo8vE76OIH7HY9tnT6vu2V0DRTSPkaleynzy2kLwNNOAjLGK9T4CSXY3p23YUo9RvP_ihzVRJSSuN7gAqVdg_mWFBAESHNsJ
  • rkrkrk said:

Definitely Bernie. It's not just the Bernie Bros, even moderate Dems will feel meh. There will be *some* GOP cross-overs but not a lot, especially after 6 months of media coverage of Bloomberg's many character flaws.

I think I'd rate the candidates' chances against Trump something like:

Biden: 55% chance
    Bernie: 40% chance
    Bloomberg: 30% chance

...but that's given a clean process. If Bernie wins a decent-sized plurality and the convention gives it to Biden or Bloomberg instead, knock off at least 5%, maybe more.
  • ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Are you a bot?

Seems like you're almost a parody of a white working class ex-Labour voter.
    You still smarting from getting your arse handed to you yesterday with some key facts?
  • ydoethur said:

No.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,023
    TimT said:

Is Bloomberg still relevant then? I'm surprised. What a situation they've ended up in. Either a non Democrat the others have heavily criticised or Biden, who's had a slow and undynamic start at best and seen by many as past it.
  • Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I don’t think you are.

With a bit of hard work and talent anyone aspiring to the top of a professional career could aspire to get to a 100-150k salary as a senior consultant or director after a 20-30 year career.

You’d have no mass asset wealth or inherited money, you’d just be earning a very good salary.

That isn’t rich. Rich means you don’t have to work at all and can live (very well) off asset and investment income alone.

It's official, the coronavirus is the worst thing to have happened to the human race.

So it is officially worse than pineapple pizza?

It really is time to enter headless chicken mode!
  • ydoethur said:

No.
    You'd be rich to me. I guess I'd be rich to the bloke huddled in the shop doorway this morning, waiting to get moved on once the town centre opens.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,023
    edited February 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

What more do you need?
    A lifetime of hedonistic excess that would make Emperor Tiberius say 'that's a bit much'.
  • kle4 said:

TimT said:

Is Bloomberg still relevant then? I'm surprised. What a situation they've ended up in. Either a non Democrat the others have heavily criticised or Biden, who's had a slow and undynamic start at best and seen by many as past it.
    Part of the problem is that the DNC finally won their decades-long battle to stop states moving their primaries up to the window before Super Tuesday. If they'd let Michigan and Florida go earlier we'd have had a proper chance to clear out the deadwood.
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    edited February 2020

So, I was reading this in The Atlantic yesterday. I may not have understood it properly, but as far as I can tell what it is saying is that Covid-19 is set to become what is essentially a new strain of winter illnesss, alongside colds and flu. If that is the case, though, why has it engendered so much panic. What am I missing?

Because current estimates suggest it could be 20 times more deadly than flu. Perhaps more, perhaps less. But no-one on earth really knows, that is part of the problem and part of the fear.

But if we take our current best estimate it will virtually certainly overwhelm health care systems across the globe. The response will be a crisis in civil society, a break down in law and order, the destruction of whole swathes of the economy and a fundamental shift in the way that life currently exists.

Apart from that, nothing. There are lots of other things which I don't want to think about at the moment.

You want all that in perpetuity? Let's hope not.
  • So, I was reading this in The Atlantic yesterday. I may not have understood it properly, but as far as I can tell what it is saying is that Covid-19 is set to become what is essentially a new strain of winter illnesss, alongside colds and flu. If that is the case, though, why has it engendered so much panic. What am I missing?

Because not all flus and colds are equal. Eg Spanish flu didn’t just kill off the old and weak. It killed normal healthy young people.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    ydoethur said:

One for @TheScreamingEagles on the importance of the Oxford comma:

For over forty years La Grande Vadrouille was the most successful French film in France, topping the box office with over 17,200,000 cinema admissions. It remains the fifth most successful film ever in France (on the basis of admissions), of any nationality, behind the 1997 version of Titanic, French hits Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis (2008) and Intouchables (2011), which were seen by over 19,000,000 cinemagoers and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.[2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Grande_Vadrouille

Although I might have gone for parentheses in that one.

As ", which were seen by over 19,000,000 cinemagoers" is a relative clause the clause should be terminated using a comma regardless of one's preference on the 'Oxford comma'.

Anyway the example is not the best formulation for this content. Giving just the list of films first and then giving the details of which were French, and with the box office figures in a following sentence, would make it considerably easier to understand.
    SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

We were told at Church (C of E) on Sunday that intincting (dipping the wafer) carries a greater risk of transmitting germs than drinking from the chalice. If we are worried, we can just have the wafer and leave the wine.

Instead of shaking hands during the Sign of the Peace, we are advised to wave at each other.
    I don't get that and furthermore my service is BCP, so no need to wave!

Alistair said:
    Another factor in American elections; the effect of turnout. An extra ten million or so for either party in the right place could make a considerable difference. And if they're Dems, could ensure change.
    Many on here are poo pooing my notion that it is all about the differential turnout.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,407

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

I don’t know why but anyway I meet from Bombay calls it Bombay, not Mumbai.

I’m up for that because I much prefer calling it Bombay as an English speaker anyway, we don’t call Vienna “Wien”, for example.

I’m not sure if it means anything.
    I don’t think I’ve ever had a Chicken Chennai for dinner.

The Indians all use use old names, even Mumbai airport is still BOM on your ticket.
    Where are those early votes happening in TX ? Austin you say ?

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/travis-county-on-track-to-shatter-record-for-voter-turnout

Gee I can't possibly think who they might vote for there.

So, I was reading this in The Atlantic yesterday. I may not have understood it properly, but as far as I can tell what it is saying is that Covid-19 is set to become what is essentially a new strain of winter illnesss, alongside colds and flu. If that is the case, though, why has it engendered so much panic. What am I missing?

Because current estimates suggest it could be 20 times more deadly than flu. Perhaps more, perhaps less. But no-one on earth really knows, that is part of the problem and part of the fear.

But if we take our current best estimate it will virtually certainly overwhelm health care systems across the globe. The response will be a crisis in civil society, a break down in law and order, the destruction of whole swathes of the economy and a fundamental shift in the way that life currently exists.

Apart from that, nothing. There are lots of other things which I don't want to think about at the moment.

I wouldn't go quite that far. An economic hit is pretty nailed on, but sensible containment policies and contact tracing hopefully keep things at manageable levels. SARS and MERS both faded away. Covid 19 is more infectious, so will be harder, but I am an optimist. The next six months could be pretty nasty though.

If it were here in perpetuity it would end up as part of the annual flu vaccine and we'd probably end up developing better immunity to it after we've had it once so it wouldn't be as bad the second time.
  • Morning all,

"Mr. Bloomberg joined in, saying of Mr. Sanders: “Can anybody in this room imagine moderate Republicans going over and voting for him?” "

That is the key question. I am pretty sure we know the answer.
This discussion has been closed.