Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we being premature writing off Bernie’s chances against Tr

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Interesting thread, just one post from it

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1231970760949981184?s=19
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

KFC's Vegan Burger isn't bad. It's a tad cheaper than the Burger King Rebel Whopper. But the Rebel Whopper is far tastier :)

Not eating partially burnt bits of chopped up animal is definitely going mainstream. I'd guess at least 30% of my students (16 - 21 y.o. usually) are vegetarian/vegan.
    Sadly, some people have no appreciation of being at the top of the food chain.
    There would have been no Eadricvirus if the Chinese were vegan.
    I think the Chinese had enough of experimenting with veganism under Mao.
    Cannibalism is not veganism.
    Many Chinese during the time had no alternative but to resort to weeds, grasses and discarded parts of rice plants.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,825
    isam said:

Someone did say Coronavirus could be linked to Brexit didn’t they? We know how referendum losers like to use a balm of tenuous linkage to salve their wounds... #deathcult

https://twitter.com/spainkiller/status/1231869865205620742?s=21

Apocalyptic Christian derived cults wanting to bring on the second coming are not really death cults, indeed they seek eternal life. This one is just working to a tighter timescale than the Anglicans.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

The strange devotion of Chinese to their songbirds was a complete contrast. Older men would congregate with their birds in small bamboo cages, and they would hang them up in the cages to sing to each other. Quite beautiful in a way, but also the reason that you see few wild songbirds in SE Asia.

As seen in this documentary

https://youtu.be/3wYCh5nxyCI
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

KFC's Vegan Burger isn't bad. It's a tad cheaper than the Burger King Rebel Whopper. But the Rebel Whopper is far tastier :)

Not eating partially burnt bits of chopped up animal is definitely going mainstream. I'd guess at least 30% of my students (16 - 21 y.o. usually) are vegetarian/vegan.
    If they were vegan, having Coronavirus to make them weak, sluggish, fragile and nearer the point of death would have been superfluous to requirements.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Yes, it's a problem. Thankfully, most young people are still perfectly sensible.

My daughter was gobbling up the black pudding and roast chicken I cooked at the weekend.
    It's not a problem, it's a choice. There is enough trauma in the world without us adding to it by getting preachy on different dietary lifestyles!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,825
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

The strange devotion of Chinese to their songbirds was a complete contrast. Older men would congregate with their birds in small bamboo cages, and they would hang them up in the cages to sing to each other. Quite beautiful in a way, but also the reason that you see few wild songbirds in SE Asia.

Yes, though in the ones I went to it was mostly tea and cigarettes, nothing so exciting.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited February 2020
    kinabalu said:

Can't be the first with this -
    https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1231904958167080960?s=20
    #unelectable

Yes, great fun taking the mickey out of foreigners that cant plonounce the name of cereblities!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    It's very easy to imagine that Sanders is as ghastly as our leftist politicians - the politics of envy. I don't think he is though. It'll take me a while to work him out though as I'm not accustomed to hearing sensible voices from the left, there having been none in the uk for 40 years. (Since Woy anyway)

• Options
    NYTimes:

BEIJING — As new cases of the coronavirus spiked on two continents, the World Health Organization warned on Monday that the world was not ready for a major outbreak, even as it praised China’s aggressive efforts to wrest the epidemic under control.

After two weeks on the ground in China, a team sent by the W.H.O. concluded that the draconian measures China imposed a month ago may have saved hundreds of thousands of people from infection. Such measures — sealing off cities, shutting down businesses and schools, ordering people to remain indoors — have provoked anger in China and could be difficult to replicate in democratic countries with a greater emphasis on protecting civil liberties .
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Yes, it's a problem. Thankfully, most young people are still perfectly sensible.

My daughter was gobbling up the black pudding and roast chicken I cooked at the weekend.
    It's not a problem, it's a choice. There is enough trauma in the world without us adding to it by getting preachy on different dietary lifestyles!
    As much as anything is a problem it's a problem. Animals and their products like eggs are nutrition repositories comprising multiple minerals, vitamins, fats, proteins, etc. all in perfect harmonious and digestible form. To imagine that all that can be replaced by a wobbly slab of something unspeakable squeezed out of a soy bean, just because it can be crudely categorised as 'protein' is a view that belongs in the 50's.
  • Options
    If Biden loses the Palmetto State, it will be curtains on his dreams of winning the presidency, and it will be a big problem for others trying to prevent Sanders from winning the nomination as well.

“At this point, anything less than a win makes Sanders’s momentum almost insurmountable,” said Basil Smikle, a former aide to Hillary Clinton who also served as the executive director of the New York State Democratic Party.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/484372-biden-faces-do-or-die-primary-in-south-carolina
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Yes, though in the ones I went to it was mostly tea and cigarettes, nothing so exciting.
    What an incredible movie Hard Boiled is. If people on this board haven't seen it they are truly missing out.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

It is a definitely a diet of choice. Starvation is less of an issue than previously, but some people in the world do not get to choose what to eat - they have to eat whatever they can get. Those of us blessed with copious amounts of food have choices.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Many Chinese during the time had no alternative but to resort to weeds, grasses and discarded parts of rice plants.
    Frank Dikötter, Mao’s Great Famine, page 320:

“A few people ate human flesh. This began in Yunnan, where the famine started in the summer of 1958...Soon the practice appeared in every region decimated by starvation. For example in Tanbin, Luoding, a commune where one in twenty villagers died in 1960, several children were eaten.”
  • Options
    I blame @TheScreamingEagles for West Ham scoring. Had to say how few goals we'd conceded before rather than after tonight's game . . .
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

If they were vegan, having Coronavirus to make them weak, sluggish, fragile and nearer the point of death would have been superfluous to requirements.
    On the other hand, the virus may have crossed over from the live animals kept in that market in Wuhan.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

We have no natural predators, whether or not we eat meat ourselves.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

It's very clear what the endgame here is for vegans.

They are a threat.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

“A few people ate human flesh. This began in Yunnan, where the famine started in the summer of 1958...Soon the practice appeared in every region decimated by starvation. For example in Tanbin, Luoding, a commune where one in twenty villagers died in 1960, several children were eaten.”
    But, most did not.

Most were reduced to trying to digest plants.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

But, most did not.

I think, in the interests of strict accuracy, you mean ‘trying to digest *inedible* plants.’

They had been digesting rice for thousands of years...
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

I shall nobly resist the temptation to make an unbelievably tasteless joke about Harvey Weinstein.

Good job by the jury there today, one less dangerous bastard roaming loose despite the defence team’s bullying and hectoring.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.
    PB's resident meat-eating snowflake writes :)

PS. I'm actually a vegetarian, not a vegan!
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

That might be an even rasher admission.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.
    Its just like a religion. I have as much contempt for it as I do all religions - do what you please in the privacy of your own home but don't preach at me.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

Dura_Ace said:

Tigers
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Didn't we just win the fight against (say) Lions? They're still a natural predator on us.

Lions have no natural predator.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

Tigers
    I can't count the amount of times I've been walking down the high street and had to run away screaming from a tiger.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

I'm just trying to flesh out my argument.
  • Options
    Tigers can be very greedy though. Just the other day a time came for tea at my house and wouldn't leave until after it had drank all my beer.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

I shall nobly resist the temptation to make an unbelievably tasteless joke about Harvey Weinstein.

Good job by the jury there today, one less dangerous bastard roaming loose despite the defence team’s bullying and hectoring.
    How many other sexually predatory abusive men are there in Hollywood, TV etc who have done much the same, have not been put on trial and will in all likelihood get away with equally revolting behaviour?

No to mention all those doing similar stuff in other sectors/professions? The Bar when I was a junior barrister had its fair share of dirty old men expecting favours from young lawyers.

And how likely is it that such behaviour has stopped?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Dura_Ace said:

Didn't we just win the fight against (say) Lions? They're still a natural predator on us.

Unless you are that Kenyan Cabinet Minister who believes they are corrupted by gay people.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

But, most did not.

I think, in the interests of strict accuracy, you mean ‘trying to digest *inedible* plants.’

They had been digesting rice for thousands of years...
    Yes. Thank you for that insight.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

I am not a vegetarian, but I could be without too much effort. I do a particularly good mushroom soup and my chickpea and lentil curry is darn good too!!!

But I just do not eat vast quantities of meat. A little goes a long way for me.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

No issue with that.

The vast majority of vegetarians do so from personal choice and have never been interested in pursuing broader political objectives.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

How many other sexually predatory abusive men are there in Hollywood, TV etc who have done much the same, have not been put on trial and will in all likelihood get away with equally revolting behaviour?

No to mention all those doing similar stuff in other sectors/professions? The Bar when I was a junior barrister had its fair share of dirty old men expecting favours from young lawyers.

All very true.

But one less is a start.

It shows, in your own words about Johnson, ‘be ye ever so high, you are not above the law.’

Now Weinstein and Cosby have been brought to book, hopefully more will.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Predators look forward. Their eyes are senstive in the centre and they have poor periphial vision. They don't need it. Owls. Tigers. Predatees (is that a word?) have eyes at either side with excellent periphial vision. Normally vegetarian.

Humans have good periphial vision and not so good central vision. You can see a propeller rotating out of the corner of your eye though it's a blur in front of you. We are part vegetarian and part meat eating. We're in the middle of the food chain.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Zero remorse, and his lawyer is crass beyond belief:
    Weinstein’s lawyer, Donna Rotunno, said her client would appeal. “He took it like a man“...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Dura_Ace said:

Unless you are that Kenyan Cabinet Minister who believes they are corrupted by gay people.
    Oh Damn - I was hoping you wouldn't spot that was who I am!

Lions! Corrupted by Gay people! I think not. They all got turned by David Eycke years ago.
  • Options

Tigers can be very greedy though. Just the other day a time came for tea at my house and wouldn't leave until after it had drank all my beer.

Easy solution - drink lager instead.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

It is baconing to sound like an argument.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Weinstein's behaviour must have been very widely known in Hollywood.

Actors regularly lecture the rest of us.

Yet, actors & movie directors & producers did not speak out when it might have cost them in their careers -- and so Weinstein was allowed to operate with impunity as a bully and rapist for decades.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

Now you’re just hamming it up.
  • Options

I know this was inadvertent phrasing, but I rather love it.

"Just the other day a time came for tea at my house"
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

No issue with that.

The vast majority of vegetarians do so from personal choice and have never been interested in pursuing broader political objectives.
    I don't think vegetarianism is the healthiest possible diet, but it is OK with plenty of eggs, yoghurt, butter, and all the other good stuff.

By the way, vegetables don't actually like being eaten. They contain anti-nutrients to discourage it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

Predators look forward. Their eyes are senstive in the centre and they have poor periphial vision. They don't need it. Owls. Tigers. Predatees (is that a word?) have eyes at either side with excellent periphial vision. Normally vegetarian.

Humans have good periphial vision and not so good central vision. You can see a propeller rotating out of the corner of your eye though it's a blur in front of you. We are part vegetarian and part meat eating. We're in the middle of the food chain.
    We’re certainly not in the middle of the food chain. Humans are not hunted for food regularly by any animal.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

I think you're merely mincing your words :lol:
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

On the other hand, the virus may have crossed over from the live animals kept in that market in Wuhan.
    Yes, or the great big bio warfare research facility right next to it, who knows?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yet, actors & movie directors & producers did not speak out when it might have cost them in their careers -- and so Weinstein was allowed to operate with impunity as a bully and rapist for decades.
    Who was it who, when announcing the nominations for Best Actress one year, commented, ‘Congratulations to four women who will no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein?’
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

We’re certainly not in the middle of the food chain. Humans are not hunted for food regularly by any animal.
    Not at the moment. Wait for the apocalypse. Post plague.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes, but you said we were.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who was it who, when announcing the nominations for Best Actress one year, commented, ‘Congratulations to four women who will no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein?’
    I was thinking of that very quote -- clearly almost everyone in Hollywood knew (or at least strongly suspected).

And yet they did nothing.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

LOL. An example of how your mind reads what it expects or knows should be there rather than what is . . . I had to re-read that two or three times to find the typo.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

We were.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    Modern health advice to me seems to say we need to eat more protein and fewer processed carbs. So keep your meat but ditch your potatoes. I can live with that, I'm trying to cut out eating too much chips not meat.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

I was thinking of that very quote -- clearly almost everyone in Hollywood knew (or at least strongly suspected).

It was apparently Seth Macfarlane, whom I have not otherwise heard of.

However, the thing that shows where the balance of power lay is that the reason he was not more explicit is the friend of his Weinstein had attacked begged him not to speak out because she was afraid of the consequences.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/seth-macfarlane-harvey-weinstein-2013-joke-jessica-barth-a7995821.html
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

We were.
    I’m not disagreeing with that. I was disagreeing with your claim that “We're in the middle of the food chain”. We are not, as you rightly said afterwards.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Modern health advice to me seems to say we need to eat more protein and fewer processed carbs. So keep your meat but ditch your potatoes. I can live with that, I'm trying to cut out eating too much chips not meat.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you like consuming copious amounts of meat
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

No issue with that.

I don't think vegetarianism is the healthiest possible diet
    [swaggering] Man, I've been a vegetarian for over 28 years, and counting :)
  • Options
    edited February 2020

My meal tonight is carvings from a shoulder of iberica ham with an ice cold dry fino sherry and olives.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

No issue with that.

Deepest sympathies. ;)
  • Options
    tyson said:

There's nothing wrong with that, its entirely natural.

I've never bowed before other people's religions (except out of respect if visiting a temple) and I have no intention of starting to do it with pretentious modern religions like vegetarianism.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

However, the thing that shows where the balance of power lay is that the reason he was not more explicit is the friend of his Weinstein had attacked begged him not to speak out because she was afraid of the consequences.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/seth-macfarlane-harvey-weinstein-2013-joke-jessica-barth-a7995821.html
    True. But they were also clearly powerful people who knew, but stayed silent.

Quentin Tarantino said afterwards "I Knew Enough to Do More Than I Did"

He is not the only one.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

My meal tonight is carvings from a shoulder of iberica ham with an ice cold dry fino sherry and olives.
    Nice! I'm jealous, mine was much simpler, chicken sausages with mixed vegetables and mushrooms.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

We were.
    I’m not disagreeing with that. I was disagreeing with your claim that “We're in the middle of the food chain”. We are not, as you rightly said afterwards.
    Mine was a conceptual claim at an abstract level rather than a practical claim of the fact of the matter.
  • Options

tyson said:

I've never bowed before other people's religions (except out of respect if visiting a temple) and I have no intention of starting to do it with pretentious modern religions like vegetarianism.
    Just to let you know, I did NOT become a vegetarian for "religious" reasons!
  • Options

tyson said:

You might find this site entertaining:

http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/vintageSite/opinion/veggie.html

http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/vintageSite/opinion/bansite.html

http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/vintageSite/opinion/fame.html
  • Options

Omnium said:

LOL. An example of how your mind reads what it expects or knows should be there rather than what is . . . I had to re-read that two or three times to find the typo.
    Well I congratulate you on a beautifully restful phrase. I love the double vagueness about the time.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

No issue with that.

Deepest sympathies. ;)
    Only primitive savages eat meat :trollface:
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

We were.
    Mine was a conceptual claim at an abstract level rather than a practical claim of the fact of the matter.
    So, what you are saying is that we aren’t in the middle of the food chain? :p
  • Options

tyson said:

Lot's of people just find it disgusting to eat meat...and despise everything about the meat industry. I don't quite get your religious reference....
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Dura_Ace said:

They are a threat.

No issue with that.

Deepest sympathies. ;)
    Only primitive savages eat meat :trollface:
    Ridiculous claim.

Many advanced savages do as well.
  • Options

tyson said:

Just to let you know, I did NOT become a vegetarian for "religious" reasons!
    I respect that. I have no problems with people who wish to go vegetarian themselves.

I don't respect those who wish to push that belief onto others, whether that be preaching to pthers, or banning children from eating meat.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

We were.
    Not at the moment. I’ve just had dessert, which puts me at the end of it.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Lot's of people just find it disgusting to eat meat...and despise everything about the meat industry. I don't quite get your religious reference....
    There's nothing disgusting about eating meat, its entirely natural. If you find it disgusting then I pity you for your small minded bigotry and intolerance. Doesn't surprise me to see you showing yourself up as a small minded bigot once again though. You're so intolerant you are no better than a racist.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not at all likely - though they are less likely to get away with it, and women are more likely to be believed.
    Even the recent past is a very different country.

This is a frank and self critical account of how it was in the US legal profession:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/12/judge-alex-kozinski-made-us-all-victims-and-accomplices.html
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    isam said:

Someone did say Coronavirus could be linked to Brexit didn’t they? We know how referendum losers like to use a balm of tenuous linkage to salve their wounds... #deathcult

https://twitter.com/spainkiller/status/1231869865205620742?s=21

That was me in my previous post and, to be fair, I did leaven it with a self-deprecating Brexit-Godwin klaxon.

I just reckon there is a pretty high chance, given how respiratory illneseses peak in winter, that the UKs COVID epidemic occurs a month or two into tnext winter, and the chances we are dealing with it at the same time as a fairly hard Brexit are high.

Now, there's no reason to suppose COVID is worse than winter flu (although it will be additive, flu won't go away), but the politics will be more delicate and any crossover between Brexit issues and COVID issues - particularly supply chain - will be politically very visible. I think that is a risk worth taking very seriously.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

There's nothing disgusting about eating meat, its entirely natural.
    So is beating each other over the head with a blunt stick. Your point is .....?
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

There's nothing disgusting about eating meat, its entirely natural. If you find it disgusting then I pity you for your small minded bigotry and intolerance. Doesn't surprise me to see you showing yourself up as a small minded bigot once again though. You're so intolerant you are no better than a racist.
    Lot's of people find eating meat disgusting...fact. Please stop making personal attacks on me which you seem to have taken to of late...

• Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

They're right to despise the meat industry, but the solution is to return to mixed farming, grow arable crops, then turn the field over to grazing animals, and so forth, it is best for healthy soil, healthy animals, healthy crops. Current trends just replace one overfarmed product of agribusiness with another one that doesn't have a face.
  • Options

There's nothing disgusting about eating meat, its entirely natural.

So is beating each other over the head with a blunt stick. Your point is .....?
    We need to eat, we don't need to hit each other with blunt sticks.

What proportion of mammals eat meat do you think and what proportion hit each other over the head with a blunt stick? I know which I find more natural - and healthy, tasty and what we evolved to do.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Dura_Ace said:

Lions! Corrupted by Gay people! I think not. They all got turned by David Eycke years ago.
    I thought it was a gay donkey? Or was that UKIP?
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Lot's of people find eating meat disgusting...fact. Please stop making personal attacks on me which you seem to have taken to of late...

Stop being a hate filled bigot.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Nice! I'm jealous, mine was much simpler, chicken sausages with mixed vegetables and mushrooms.

I should go easy on the fino.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I just asked you quite nicely to stop making personal attacks on me...what is there not to understand about that request?

I'll re-phrase it...please do not make personal attacks on me. Thankyou
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Very very few people ever do speak up about bad behaviour. Look at what happens to whistleblowers in the NHS or the police, for instance.

And they’re not speaking up now about other Hollywood bigwigs who have abused or are abusing their power, despite all the #MeToo fuss.

Pretty much every big scandal that has happened in recent years in any sector could have been stopped much much sooner if people who knew or suspected had said something and there had been a willingness to investigate the claims. But they didn’t and there wasn’t. Though as always there have been honourable exceptions.

Turning a blind eye, suffering in silence or walking away are the default options. Not standing up and saying: “This is wrong.” That takes a certain type of courage and bloody-mindedness and willingness to speak truth to power, which is rarer than one would like.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

I should go easy on the fino.
    That looks amazing.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Dura_Ace said:

We were.
    You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I just asked you quite nicely to stop making personal attacks on me...what is there not to understand about that request?

You first. Please stop attacking people for going on cruises, or eating meat.

Why do you like to dish it out but then object to being called out for your bigotry?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Very very few people ever do speak up about bad behaviour. Look at what happens to whistleblowers in the NHS or the police, for instance.

And they’re not speaking up now about other Hollywood bigwigs who have abused or are abusing their power, despite all the #MeToo fuss.

Pretty much every big scandal that has happened in recent years in any sector could have been stopped much much sooner if people who knew or suspected had said something and there had been a willingness to investigate the claims. But they didn’t and there wasn’t. Though as always there have been honourable exceptions.

Turning a blind eye, suffering in silence or walking away are the default options. Not standing up and saying: “This is wrong.” That takes a certain type of courage and bloody-mindedness and willingness to speak truth to power, which is rarer than one would like.
    Why do you think it's so rare?
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Isn't that a bit rich? it's fine to say you don't like eating meat. But why was it not surprising that @Philip_Thompson ate "copious amounts" of meat?
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

It's no coincidence that two of the most aggressive posters on here to those who disagree with them are vegans. @Dura_Ace and @tyson

I think some people try and look for a morally righteous fulcrum around which they can exercise misanthropic judgement of others because there's actually an aspect of themselves they secretly hate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

If they are of the right age, your students may be familiar with his cartoon series "Family Guy" and "American Dad".
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

We've been here before @tyson

You're perfectly happy to make personal attacks on others.

You just don't like it when you get as good as you give.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not at all likely - though they are less likely to get away with it, and women are more likely to be believed.
    Even the recent past is a very different country.

This is a frank and self critical account of how it was in the US legal profession:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2017/12/judge-alex-kozinski-made-us-all-victims-and-accomplices.html
    I could tell you similar and worse stories.

Without wishing to flog a dead horse, I would like to believe that women will be more likely to be believed. But women are finding it hard to get people to believe that they have concerns about men claiming to be women having access to women only spaces. And are being threatened with expulsion from a political party if they express such views. So while women ought - after a case like Weinstein - to be listened to, I think that it is very easy for those who don’t want to listen to women’s views to find a reason to ignore them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Surely West Ham can't win this, can they?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Surely West Ham can't win this, can they?

They will, Moyes doing his part to stop Liverpool winning the league at Goodison.
  • Options

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Dura_Ace said:

I thought it was a gay donkey? Or was that UKIP?
    You mean they like it in the, er, "ass"?

• Options
    I think we all need to have a nice soothing chamomile tea and calm the fuck down. The only dietary preaching going on here seems to be coming from the carnivorous section of PB. Eat whatever you want to eat, even Hawaiian pizza.
  • Options
    In 2013/14 Liverpool's title bid was derailed when Henderson was out of the team due to suspension.

Déjà vu all over again.
This discussion has been closed.