Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ashcroft poll: 73% LAB members say the antisemitism issue was

1235»

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823
    eadric said:

viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Another leftie become trans enemy #1...

Father Ted creator Graham Linehan on trans rights

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e79k6LILL1I

Good to see people who don’t care if they get ‘cancelled’ start to stand up to the the woke. See also Ricky Gervais, who I really can’t stand but at least he isn’t afraid to call out Hollywood hypocrisy to their faces

Watching the BBC4 rerun of This Life, I notice Gervais is credited as “music advisor”. I believe he was girlfriend of the producer at the time. She gave him his first break.
    My private theory is that he was (one of) University College London's drug dealers, thus explaining how he got the job of events manager and hence the This Life gig.
    Nah. I knew him then. We got our drugs from a ginger guy.
    I sat behind Janet Daley in a train once. She has got Old Lady Hair - which is not surprising, really... :(

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It might all be too late, given we still have the issue of the likes of Tencent to deal with...who are well embedded into all sorts of companies. Bit like...

CIA scored intelligence 'coup of the century' by owning firm that sold code-making machines used by 120 countries - allowing them to read their enemies' (and allies') communications for DECADES

The CIA were able to read the secret messages of allies and enemies for decades after buying a Swiss company that owned the machines responsible for encrypting their codes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7992175/CIA-secretly-OWNED-encrypted-code-making-machines-decades-allowing-spy-governments.html

I believe that America's real beef with countries choosing Huawei is that it is a lot harder for them to exploit Huawei's kit. I expect the US finds it much easier to lean on the goverments of European and Korean suppliers, and also much easier to recruit agents in those companies.

Besides that Trump has said that the Huawei ban could be lifted if a trade deal is concluded with China. A trade deal cannot fix a security problem, which makes me wonder how serious the US is about the security issue.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

I personally think it's worth the £1.5bn and 18 months to be rid of Huawei from our infrastructure. I'd go as far as banning their phones and modems as well. Just be done with them as a company.

I'd be entirely happy with that with two conditions. 1 - Ericsson and Nokia must allow the same scrutiny of their systems as Huawei does. 2 - If the US government obtains a controlling interest in those two companies we should immediately start looking for another supplier.
    I don't think Congress, the Swedes or Finns would allow the US government to buy a majority stake in either of those companies the same as they wouldn't allows the Chinese to do it.
  • Options

Boris Johnson: 'No immediate prospect' of Heathrow expansion

The PM, who once vowed to "lie down" in front of bulldozers to stop the project, says he does not see any "at present".

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-no-immediate-prospect-of-heathrow-expansion-11931612

Planes cause pollution!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

The PM, who once vowed to "lie down" in front of bulldozers to stop the project, says he does not see any "at present".

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-no-immediate-prospect-of-heathrow-expansion-11931612

Is the wrong answer...
    Boris will accept Heathrow expansion within a year. He's carefully laying a route for his retreat,
    I worry Mrs Boris being a greenie and appears to be more than willing to stick her oar into government matters might ensure he doesn't. When it is clear Heathrow needs expanding, and will be worth a huge amount to the UK economy.
    I don't believe he has any choice. LHR3 is inevitable, and SE England airport expansion has to be decided very soon.

Trying to cancel LHR3 would be an enormous battle, expending incredible amounts of political capital, and for what? If he "wins" it solves nothing, we still need more airport space, Boris Island is now a fantasy, enlarging Gatwick would enrage others etc etc.

He wants to be seen as a big builder PM. This is a project ready to dig now. I predict it will happen, just like HS2.

I bloody hope so. While I have always been luke-warm at best on HS2 (with a debatable economy case), LHR is a global hub, worth billions to the UK economy, and this pissing about has gone on far too long.

If the Bonking Builder really is serious about world trade etc, expanding Heathrow should be green lighted immediately.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Planes cause pollution!
    Planes queuing to land create avoidable pollution.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

I personally think it's worth the £1.5bn and 18 months to be rid of Huawei from our infrastructure. I'd go as far as banning their phones and modems as well. Just be done with them as a company.

I'd be entirely happy with that with two conditions. 1 - Ericsson and Nokia must allow the same scrutiny of their systems as Huawei does. 2 - If the US government obtains a controlling interest in those two companies we should immediately start looking for another supplier.
    I don't think Congress, the Swedes or Finns would allow the US government to buy a majority stake in either of those companies the same as they wouldn't allows the Chinese to do it.
    The Wallenberg's, through Investor AB, still have effective control over Ericsson. There is an approximately zero percent chance that they would allow the US government control of Ericsson.
  • Options
    What do you get when you give a lizard five Valium tablets? A calmer calmer calmer calmer calmer chameleon.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

U.S. Officials Say Huawei Can Covertly Access Telecom Networks

Trump administration ramps up push for allies to block Chinese company

U.S. officials say Huawei Technologies Co. can covertly access mobile-phone networks around the world through “back doors” designed for use by law enforcement, as Washington tries to persuade allies to exclude the Chinese company from their networks.

Intelligence shows Huawei has had this secret capability for more than a decade, U.S. officials said. Huawei rejected the allegations.

The U.S. kept the intelligence highly classified until late last year, when American officials provided details to allies including the U.K. and Germany, according to officials from the three countries. That was a tactical turnabout by the U.S., which in the past had argued that it didn’t need to produce hard evidence of the threat it says Huawei poses to nations’ security.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-officials-say-huawei-can-covertly-access-telecom-networks-11581452256

Turns out Boris Johnson is a bigger threat to national security than Jeremy Corbyn.

It might all be too late, given we still have the issue of the likes of Tencent to deal with...who are well embedded into all sorts of companies.
    Tencent is a listed company, it's in the private sector and is ultimately predictable because of that. Huawei is owned by a workers union that is run by officials from the PLA.
    I am not sure I trust either.
    I don't trust Tencent, but it is a profit seeking company with shareholders to answer to. It's also a company that has previously explored shifting its national HQ to Hong Kong or Singapore to escape Chinese jurisdiction. I think the decision to stay in China was based on a huge loss of business from nationalistic Chinese consumers.
    The founder of Tencent is desperate to remove the risk of the Chinese government taking all his money away. He sees relocation of the business to another domicile as being the best way to protect himself.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

U.S. Officials Say Huawei Can Covertly Access Telecom Networks

Trump administration ramps up push for allies to block Chinese company

U.S. officials say Huawei Technologies Co. can covertly access mobile-phone networks around the world through “back doors” designed for use by law enforcement, as Washington tries to persuade allies to exclude the Chinese company from their networks.

Intelligence shows Huawei has had this secret capability for more than a decade, U.S. officials said. Huawei rejected the allegations.

The U.S. kept the intelligence highly classified until late last year, when American officials provided details to allies including the U.K. and Germany, according to officials from the three countries. That was a tactical turnabout by the U.S., which in the past had argued that it didn’t need to produce hard evidence of the threat it says Huawei poses to nations’ security.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-officials-say-huawei-can-covertly-access-telecom-networks-11581452256

Turns out Boris Johnson is a bigger threat to national security than Jeremy Corbyn.

Why do you believe the US government and not the UK's NCSC?

If you don't trust the NCSC on this then we are literally incapable as a country of deciding which suppliers are safe and to what degree so.
    Honestly, I think our intelligence service is far, far too complacent when it comes to China. Maybe the US is too far on the alarmist side, but I'd rather be safe with this.
    I disagree, we scrutinise Huawei far more closely than anyone else, and the US government is essentially telling us to use Nokia and Ericsson more, and just trust that they are more secure.

The real solution is to not be dependent on any supplier to a large extent. We need to examine all systems and software that we intend to deploy in government and public networks. We need to take measures like having things such as reproducible builds, and a UK government hardware root-of-trust, so that we can be confident that our systems are only running what we want them to run. And only then we will be able to keep out the Chinese, the Russians, and even the Americans.

Simply dropping Huawei as a supplier doesn't magically make a network built from Nokia and Ericsson systems secure, in fact given we don't examine those suppliers to anything like the same degree it would likely make us less secure, and more prone to things like denial of service attacks when we are more dependent on fewer suppliers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    eadric said:

The Boris Bounce hits the art market

A David Hockney sells for £23m at Sotheby's London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51458346

In the last two weeks I've heard/seen hard and anecdotal evidence that the UK economy is seriously picking up speed.

It may be an illusion. But if it is true it will be interesting to see how it impacts the post-Brexit debate.

Parts of it are, London of course...

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1225714468774187009?s=19

I bought a couple of million pound paintings myself just the other day myself o:)
  • Options
    "73% LAB members say the antisemitism issue was invented or wildly exaggerated by Corbyn’s opponents."

The words Mandy Rice-Davies spring to mind.
  • Options
    eek said:

Planes cause pollution!
    Planes queuing to land create avoidable pollution.
    Planes don't run on rails :p
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Is the wrong answer...
    Boris will accept Heathrow expansion within a year. He's carefully laying a route for his retreat,
    I worry Mrs Boris being a greenie and appears to be more than willing to stick her oar into government matters might ensure he doesn't. When it is clear Heathrow needs expanding, and will be worth a huge amount to the UK economy.
    I don't believe he has any choice. LHR3 is inevitable, and SE England airport expansion has to be decided very soon.

Trying to cancel LHR3 would be an enormous battle, expending incredible amounts of political capital, and for what? If he "wins" it solves nothing, we still need more airport space, Boris Island is now a fantasy, enlarging Gatwick would enrage others etc etc.

He wants to be seen as a big builder PM. This is a project ready to dig now. I predict it will happen, just like HS2.

Gatwick only has ONE (or TWO if you think of it as bi-di, of course) runway FFS! Build the new runway there.
  • Options
    glw said:

I disagree, we scrutinise Huawei far more closely than anyone else, and the US government is essentially telling us to use Nokia and Ericsson more, and just trust that they are more secure.

The real solution is to not be dependent on any supplier to a large extent. We need to examine all systems and software that we intend to deploy in government and public networks. We need to take measures like having things such as reproducible builds, and a UK government hardware root-of-trust, so that we can be confident that our systems are only running what we want them to run. And only then we will be able to keep out the Chinese, the Russians, and even the Americans.

Simply dropping Huawei as a supplier doesn't magically make a network built from Nokia and Ericsson systems secure, in fact given we don't examine those suppliers to anything like the same degree it would likely make us less secure, and more prone to things like denial of service attacks when we are more dependent on fewer suppliers.

Huawei is not the only Chinese telecoms equipment provider. ZTE is also a major provider. And it doesn't face the same scrutiny as Huawei, because while it may be Chinese, at least we know who owns it.

The issue with Huawei is that control and ownership is incredibly opaque.
  • Options

What do you get when you give a lizard five Valium tablets? A calmer calmer calmer calmer calmer chameleon.

The very best joke on here for, oh, at least a couple of days.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

So when the US can't get sufficient control over them, what next? Will the US government start threatening countries that buy Nokia or Ericsson? It's implicit in what Barr said that the US government thinks that any supplier that is not utimately controlled by them is not to be trusted.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

eadric said:

viewcode said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Another leftie become trans enemy #1...

Father Ted creator Graham Linehan on trans rights

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e79k6LILL1I

Good to see people who don’t care if they get ‘cancelled’ start to stand up to the the woke. See also Ricky Gervais, who I really can’t stand but at least he isn’t afraid to call out Hollywood hypocrisy to their faces

Watching the BBC4 rerun of This Life, I notice Gervais is credited as “music advisor”. I believe he was girlfriend of the producer at the time. She gave him his first break.
    My private theory is that he was (one of) University College London's drug dealers, thus explaining how he got the job of events manager and hence the This Life gig.
    Nah. I knew him then. We got our drugs from a ginger guy.
    I sat behind Janet Daley in a train once. She has got Old Lady Hair - which is not surprising, really... :(

I sat on a train a few seats away from Nigel Farage a few years back!
  • Options

This thread has gone to New Hampshire

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

The Boris Bounce hits the art market

A David Hockney sells for £23m at Sotheby's London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51458346

In the last two weeks I've heard/seen hard and anecdotal evidence that the UK economy is seriously picking up speed.

It may be an illusion. But if it is true it will be interesting to see how it impacts the post-Brexit debate.

Parts of it are, London of course...

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1225714468774187009?s=19

I bought a couple of million pound paintings myself just the other day myself o:)
    One truly amazing fact: Britain has been mired in the shitshow of Brexit all year, menacing investment, spooking business, etc etc....

Yet it turns out GDP growth in 2019 was marginally HIGHER in the UK than it was in the eurozone. 1.3% over 1.2%

If we can do that in the face of the Brexit galacto-fuck, then maybe we can do some really impressive stuff when we have a strong, determined government with some pro-growth policies.

Not another SeanT.
This discussion has been closed.