Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whoever ends up winning Iowa the WH2020 Dem nomination battle

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,471
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    I suspect when I end up in hell I shall be force fed pizzas with pineapple toppings for eternity for helping Andrea Jenkyns get elected.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    rpjs said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Andy_JS said:

The best two candidates for the Democrats are Biden and Warren in my opinion.

I use 3 positive metrics and 1 negative when weighing primary candidates:

Who has popular policies?
    Sanders

Who is charismatic?
    No one.

Who can unite the party?
    Warren

Who can divide the party?
    Buttigieg, Sanders

Last time in 2016 Trump had 2 out of 3 positives and the 1 negative but Hillary scored nothing on all.
    There is nothing divisive about Buttigieg.
    Yes there is. Progressives like me see him as yet another middle of the road, centrist, corporate hack. Mayo Pete: rich and white.

I'd vote for him over Trump, but with no enthusiasm. My wife doesn't think she could - she says she might sit the general out if he's the nominee as we live in a state, New York, that won't go anything but Democrat.
    Buttigieg, if he is the nominee, will have the most progressive platform of any major party nominee in US history.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    edited February 2020

rpjs said:

I'd vote for him over Trump, but with no enthusiasm.

All votes count exactly the same, whether cast with enthusiasm or not.

People tend to forget this. It's nice to get the "Oh, [insert name here]" chants. But, ultimately, it's more important to persuade a plurality that you're marginally better than the alternative.

Corbyn and Sanders are, in my view, good examples of people who enthuse quite a lot of people at the cost of making a lot of people (whose votes count just as much) quietly say, "nah, not for me".

True, but you could say the same about Trump. And Johnson, to a lesser extent.

Although we've recognised a shift in political alignment, we don't seem to have changed our definition of the centre, and there's a danger that we therefore draw incorrect conclusions about who has the widest appeal.

For example, on the "metropolitan elite" versus "small town America" scale, Sanders could be seen as a centrist.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    The EU really needs to have directly elected presidents.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    edited February 2020

ydoethur said:

AAAAAARGGH!

Write out one hundred times:

He got FEWER votes than Clinton.

Please Sir! Help me out with this.

If you got to a shop with Mrs Ydoethur and she wants to buy something which you know is £100 cheaper next door, would you tell her..

A.) it costs £100 fewer next door

Or

B.) it costs £100 less next door
    Easy. Neither.

There are two reasons for this:

A.) The correct formulation is, ‘it’s £100 cheaper next door;’

B.) I’m not married.

Edit - bloody sunglasses!
  • Options

I suspect when I end up in hell I shall be force fed pizzas with pineapple toppings for eternity for helping Andrea Jenkyns get elected.

While listening to Radiohead and being advised how good a general Hannibal was.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Emily thornberry has picked up another nomination tonight to take her to 14 CLPs - with her own CLP yet to nominate. Is it too late for her now?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I'll be going on strike and will remain on strike until the Labour party has been abolished.

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1225880818712707073
  • Options

"There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch pizza with pineapple toppings."
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan

The word cheaper could also work.
  • Options

I'll be going on strike and will remain on strike until the Labour party has been abolished.

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1225880818712707073

She is bonkers - desperate - or perhaps both.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,655
    Trump's implied probability of re-election has just reached 60% with Betfair.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.128151441
  • Options

"There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch pizza with pineapple toppings."
    If hell consists of pineapple-topped-pizza that might not be much of a deterrent.

And if we get to listen to Radiohead too, sign me up!
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2020
    "Whoever ends up winning Iowa the WH2020 Dem nomination battle is now framed as between Bernie and Buttigieg"

What an extraordinary thread heading from OGM, seemingly totally ignoring the chances of Michael Bloomberg until he suddenly remembers him as an after thought, answering his own question as regards whether his huge financial investment into his campaign will make any difference ... "I don't know" is his equivocal reply.
    Well the betting market certainly has a much more positive view of Bloomberg's prospects where he is the second favourite with the Betfair Exchange to win the Democratic nomination with odds of 5.12, compared with Sanders on 2.65. Meanwhile Biden and Buttigieg languish in 3rd an 4th places both on odds of 7.5.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sanders

Who is charismatic?
    No one.

Who can unite the party?
    Warren

Buttigieg, Sanders

Last time in 2016 Trump had 2 out of 3 positives and the 1 negative but Hillary scored nothing on all.
    Yes there is. Progressives like me see him as yet another middle of the road, centrist, corporate hack. Mayo Pete: rich and white.

I'd vote for him over Trump, but with no enthusiasm. My wife doesn't think she could - she says she might sit the general out if he's the nominee as we live in a state, New York, that won't go anything but Democrat.
    It was that attitude that gave us Trump.
    Otoh perhaps the middle of the road, centrist, corporate hacks gave us Trump.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Emily thornberry has picked up another nomination tonight to take her to 14 CLPs - with her own CLP yet to nominate. Is it too late for her now?

Probably
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

Remainers made a massive, massive error in early 2019 by not coalescing around a soft Brexit alternative in the indicative votes. They gambled recklessly on stopping it altogether, and lost.

As I remainer myself, I was absolutely livid at the time and still am. The high road of compromise was there, and they were as bad as the hard Brexiteers in eschewing it.

They screwed up plus Johnson played a political blinder from start to finish. And is more popular than people make out. Certainly more popular than he ought to be. He's like "Cats" in this respect.

And you might be pissed off but spare a thought for LABOUR Remainers like me. Double whammy. Brexit PLUS Tory landslide government. Jesus.

But so long as Trump loses ...
    Do you really think Trump can lose against this guy?
    https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1225611968234610689
    And Buttigieg is quite proud of that quote.
    He rivals the vacuum of empty space.
    I don’t see Pete beating Trump. I don’t see his vague centrist waffle picking up the key state switchers needed.

I don’t see Trump’s nasty aggressive politics of lies and disruption remaining popular for ever, but it’s currently wildly popular all over the world, and Trump is safe for another four years.
    Trump got less votes than Clinton. By definition he was less popular than one of the worst campaigning candidates of all time.

He got less votes than Romney in Wisconsin.

Trump won on the most ridiculously razor thin of margins.
    AAAAAARGGH!

Mate, there is no textual analysis of the English language that supports an ironclad usage of fewer over less.

It is an entirely made up notion by a random bloke who wrote a style guide in the late 1700s. If Alfred the Great can use less then I can as well.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

Remainers made a massive, massive error in early 2019 by not coalescing around a soft Brexit alternative in the indicative votes. They gambled recklessly on stopping it altogether, and lost.

As I remainer myself, I was absolutely livid at the time and still am. The high road of compromise was there, and they were as bad as the hard Brexiteers in eschewing it.

They screwed up plus Johnson played a political blinder from start to finish. And is more popular than people make out. Certainly more popular than he ought to be. He's like "Cats" in this respect.

And you might be pissed off but spare a thought for LABOUR Remainers like me. Double whammy. Brexit PLUS Tory landslide government. Jesus.

I don’t see Pete beating Trump. I don’t see his vague centrist waffle picking up the key state switchers needed.

I don’t see Trump’s nasty aggressive politics of lies and disruption remaining popular for ever, but it’s currently wildly popular all over the world, and Trump is safe for another four years.
    Trump got less votes than Clinton. By definition he was less popular than one of the worst campaigning candidates of all time.

AAAAAARGGH!

Mate, there is no textual analysis of the English language that supports an ironclad usage of fewer over less.

It is an entirely made up notion by a random bloke who wrote a style guide in the late 1700s. If Alfred the Great can use less then I can as well.
    So just because Alfred couldn’t cook, we should have no four star restaurants?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Andy_JS said:

Do we think that is mostly the impeachment thing falling flat, or the Iowa caucus mess up/result?

personally I think its a good time to top up on 'Any democrat' candidate to win
  • Options
    The Wikipedia article on the topic is surprisingly good.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

rpjs said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sanders

Who is charismatic?
    No one.

Who can unite the party?
    Warren

Buttigieg, Sanders

Trump has sort of grown on me.

When you see him you just got to think, he’s not serious he’s just taking the piss. And then he ain’t scary or can’t wind you up anymore. He don't really believe in anything, or care about anything. Unlike every other politician on earth he doesn’t really expect you to take him seriously. He’s a sort of nihilist disruptor. Like the Joker from a batman film.

He has this fawning fan base, but he doesn’t really care about a single one of them. Like a true nihilist comic book villain he could order any of his fans to just Leap into the nearest active volcano. “Don Says” and off they go like lemmings to fry on the lava.

That’s Trump.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
    Alistair said:

Which topic?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

Less vs fewer and the completely artificial rule about using one or the other

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_versus_less
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Andy_JS said:

Do we think that is mostly the impeachment thing falling flat, or the Iowa caucus mess up/result?

personally I think its a good time to top up on 'Any democrat' candidate to win
    You may well have a point. Currently the best odds on a Democratic Party POTUS win are those on offer with the Betfair Exchange at 2.48 or 2.40 net of their commission.
  • Options

"Whoever ends up winning Iowa the WH2020 Dem nomination battle is now framed as between Bernie and Buttigieg"

What an extraordinary thread heading from OGM, seemingly totally ignoring the chances of Michael Bloomberg until he suddenly remembers him as an after thought, answering his own question as regards whether his huge financial investment into his campaign will make any difference ... "I don't know" is his equivocal reply.
    Well the betting market certainly has a much more positive view of Bloomberg's prospects where he is the second favourite with the Betfair Exchange to win the Democratic nomination with odds of 5.12, compared with Sanders on 2.65. Meanwhile Biden and Buttigieg languish in 3rd an 4th places both on odds of 7.5.

Wait till New Hampshire
  • Options
    egg said:

rpjs said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sanders

Who is charismatic?
    No one.

Who can unite the party?
    Warren

Buttigieg, Sanders

Trump has sort of grown on me.... He’s a sort of nihilist disruptor. Like the Joker from a Batman film....
    Problem is, he's the Jared Leto Joker... :(

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    rpjs said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sanders

Who is charismatic?
    No one.

Who can unite the party?
    Warren

Buttigieg, Sanders

Yes there is. Progressives like me see him as yet another middle of the road, centrist, corporate hack. Mayo Pete: rich and white...
    Which is odd, as he’s considerably less wealthy than Sanders or Warren.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

Thank you.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

The less we hear of this debate, the better.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

Wikipedia also says Richard III didn’t kill his nephews, that Josef Selmayr was wrongly convicted of war crimes and that it is likely the Ninth Legion was lost in Britain.

Yes, I will cite it myself (on here anyway) because it’s convenient, but only when I have checked its sources and found them trustworthy.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

There are no ironclad rules of language.

And there’s nothing wrong with the influence of random blokes a few centuries back. Look how well we did with Shakespeare.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

And there’s nothing wrong with the influence of random blokes a few centuries back. Look how well we did with Shakespeare.
    Shakespeare was rubbish. Couldn’t even spell his own name :smile:
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Free money tbh.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

Creative experimentation.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

Yeah, but being erroneously pedantic is fun. You could say the same about ending a sentence with a preposition, but it's not an argument that anyone will listen to.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

Indeed, you don't spell Edward de Vere as 'Shakespeare'.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

Unless you're French.

As Dr Johnson wisely observed trying to fix a language is like trying to bind the sea in chains.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

The less we hear of this debate, the better.
    Fewer posts on the subject?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    kicorse said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

Yeah, but being erroneously pedantic is fun. You could say the same about ending a sentence with a preposition, but it's not an argument that anyone will listen to.
    A preposition is always the wrong word to end a sentence with.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Nigelb said:

rpjs said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sanders

Who is charismatic?
    No one.

Who can unite the party?
    Warren

Buttigieg, Sanders

Yes there is. Progressives like me see him as yet another middle of the road, centrist, corporate hack. Mayo Pete: rich and white...
    Compared to most people in the US, and indeed most people in Indiana, he is rich.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

Quite.

Shakespeare used language, he didn't write whiny books saying how he thought other people should use language.
  • Options

Unless you're French.

As Dr Johnson wisely observed trying to fix a language is like trying to bind the sea in chains.

The French ruined their language with all those silly symbols.

But you'll be all delighted to know that sometime in the next few weeks I'll be publishing a based on the thread on the Oxford comma and what it means for betting (on politics).
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

Quite.

Shakespeare used language, he didn't write whiny books saying how he thought other people should use language.
    As @ydoethur points out, he left it to later generations to tidy up his mess.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kicorse said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

F*ck off.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

Indeed, you don't spell Edward de Vere as 'Shakespeare'.
    Loved To The Manor Born 👍🏻
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

Whilst reading threads on Brexit ref 253 and Sindy ref 436...
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

rpjs said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sanders

Who is charismatic?
    No one.

Who can unite the party?
    Warren

Buttigieg, Sanders

Compared to most people in the US, and indeed most people in Indiana, he is rich.
    “...rich and white...” as a jibe sounds a bit pathetic when you consider it applies to all of the Democratic contenders.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kicorse said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

There are few rules I could give fewer fucks about.

• Options
    I see Cummings is winning hearts and minds again - this is really nasty bullying:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1225866655701622784?s=19

They'll all be stressed up to the eyeballs all weekend now.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

kicorse said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

Sandpit said:

kicorse said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

F*ck off.
    I think you missed Sandpit's ironic sentence ending with a preposition!
  • Options

But you'll be all delighted to know that sometime in the next few weeks I'll be publishing a based on the thread on the Oxford comma and what it means for betting (on politics).

Your sentence doesn't make any sense :lol:
  • Options
    FWIW - I'm not expecting George Osborne to be editor of the Standard for much longer, he may have already edited his last edition.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Nigelb said:

rpjs said:

Nigelb said:

rpjs said:

Gabs3 said:

speedy2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Sanders

Who is charismatic?
    No one.

Who can unite the party?
    Warren

Buttigieg, Sanders

“...rich and white...” as a jibe sounds a bit pathetic when you consider it applies to all of the Democratic contenders.
    True, but some of the others aren't signing up to the corporatist agenda.
  • Options

I see Cummings is winning hearts and minds again - this is really nasty bullying:

You can understand why David Cameron considered Cummings a psychopath.
  • Options

Yep, although sociopath might be more apt.

Cameron had his own version with Steve Hilton too. Great thinkers and good at ideas.

Terrible in Government, and with people.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

FWIW - I'm not expecting George Osborne to be editor of the Standard for much longer, he may have already edited his last edition.

source: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/02/has-george-osborne-hit-peak-job/

• Options

He's getting a peerage and a job next week?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

kicorse said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

Sandpit said:

kicorse said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

F*ck off.
    I think you missed Sandpit's ironic sentence ending with a preposition!
    No, just riffing.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited February 2020
    I am going to do a rare thing, and admit I was wrong.

I thought Bloomberg had left it far too late in a crowded field and had a vanishingly small chance of the nomination, but I now see it. He reasoned Biden was grossly overrated and would fade fast, leaving a choice between flawed candidates. He'd be the knight in shining armour come Super Tuesday. He needed a bit of a run up with blanket ads, but could afford it.

It might well still not work, but it was much smarter than going early and getting lost in the crowded field. I think he's timed his run far better than I'd thought - it's all a bit Dame Kelly Holmes.
  • Options

No, cost cutting measures in place by the owner and new investors.

It was already losing money when he took over in 2017 and the future doesn't look well for the dead trees press. With an economic slowdown coming advertisers cut their spend which doesn't help.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

justin124 said:

Probably
    Thornbury is at 13 CLPs out of 351 (numbers from Wikipedia) so looks like she will not get through to final round, unless there is a mini wave of sympathy votes
  • Options

Cameron had his own version with Steve Hilton too. Great thinkers and good at ideas.

Four years being chief adviser of Michael Gove turned Gove into the country's most unpopular politician, I reckon he'll do the same for Boris Johnson in half the time.
  • Options

DC is very much Johnson's Reinhard Heydrich.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Hilton seems to mainly crop up on Fox News now spouting absolute nonsense.
  • Options

I thought Bloomberg had left it far too late in a crowded field and had a vanishingly small chance of the nomination, but I now see it. He reasoned Biden was grossly overrated and would fade fast, leaving a choice between flawed candidates. He'd be the knight in shining armour come Super Tuesday. He needed a bit of a run up with blanket ads, but could afford it.

It might well still not work, but it was much smarter than going early and getting lost in the crowded field. I think he's timed his run far better than I'd thought - it's all a bit Dame Kelly Holmes.

That’s a fair comment, and I’ll also own to underestimating the possible electoral leverage half a billion dollars buys.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    BigRich said:

justin124 said:

Probably
    Thornbury is at 13 CLPs out of 351 (numbers from Wikipedia) so looks like she will not get through to final round, unless there is a mini wave of sympathy votes
    She now has 14 with her own CLP to nominate.
    Edit - She now has 15.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

DC is very much Johnson's Reinhard Heydrich.
    Um. Maybe a tad strong?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Well we all know what happened to Cromwell.

https://twitter.com/ftukpolitics/status/1225902747792351233
  • Options
    Are there any Exit Polls due from Ireland?
  • Options

Four years being chief adviser of Michael Gove turned Gove into the country's most unpopular politician, I reckon he'll do the same for Boris Johnson in half the time.
    And his flagship policy of removing schools from the hands of unelected bureaucrats saw schools being removed from the control of local education authorities and instead centrally controlled from Whitehall.

i.e. A total failure.
  • Options
    glw said:

Hilton seems to mainly crop up on Fox News now spouting absolute nonsense.
    Yeah, it's kind of worrying isn't it? He used to write such thoughtful books and ideas.

Politics really worries me sometimes. You find a hero who helps sharpen and define what you really think, and inspires you.

And then, they turn into a nutter, and you lose respect for them, and you're not sure what happened.
  • Options

It was already losing money when he took over in 2017 and the future doesn't look well for the dead trees press. With an economic slowdown coming advertisers cut their spend which doesn't help.
    Surely it still needs an editor?
  • Options

An editor willing to make these cuts really isn't an editor.

I think the Standard is about to focus on sports and celebrities.
  • Options

It's definitely possible. If all we care about is that Trump loses, which is pretty much how I feel, it's what we should hope for. But yet....
  • Options

Yeah, it's kind of worrying isn't it? He used to write such thoughtful books and ideas.

Politics really worries me sometimes. You find a hero who helps sharpen and define what you really think, and inspires you.

And then, they turn into a nutter, and you lose respect for them, and you're not sure what happened.

I don't think people change that much when it comes to politics, but at a point in time the shine comes off, or they reveal a side of themselves that was always hidden. Of course it does go in the opposite direction as well, sometimes you find more depth, more thoughtfulness, more compassion, and the like in a person than you gave them credit for. Michael Portillo is perhaps an example of that.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,445
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

That’s a fair comment, and I’ll also own to underestimating the possible electoral leverage half a billion dollars buys.

Just wait for Zuckerberg 2024. All the money in the world and an unlimited, unregulated advertising budget!

2017: Zuckerberg said he no longer considers himself an atheist and that religion is “very important”. I mean get your bets in now.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Sandpit said:

kicorse said:

Alistair said:

viewcode said:

Alistair said:

Which topic?

It is 'errant pedantry up with which I will not put'. Churchill.

• Options

Dave was against AV!

Allowing people into the UK parliament who did not finish first in their constituency was described by David Cameron as creating a "Parliament full of second-choices who no one really wanted but didn't really object to either."
    - David Cameron: "Why keeping first past the post is vital for democracy." Daily Telegraph. 30 Apr 2011
  • Options
    glw said:

I don't think people change that much when it comes to politics, but at a point in time the shine comes off, or they reveal a side of themselves that was always hidden. Of course it does go in the opposite direction as well, sometimes you find more depth, more thoughtfulness, more compassion, and the like in a person than you gave them credit for. Michael Portillo is perhaps an example of that.
    That's perhaps true, although on politics Portillo can revert a bit when he's on programmes like This Week.
  • Options
    I hope Aaron's a member of this group.

https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1225901006074122243
  • Options

An editor willing to make these cuts really isn't an editor.

I think the Standard is about to focus on sports and celebrities.
    Oh joy.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2020

Unless you're French.

The French ruined their language with all those silly symbols.

I look forward to TSE's delicious mix of pizza toppings, Christmas films, and betting recommendations.
  • Options

Cromwell invented the term "Commonwealth".
  • Options
    Just Noticed that Ireland is voting tomorrow - a Saturday! Assumed that Polling Day would be a Friday.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    edited February 2020
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

egg said:

speedy2 said:

kinabalu said:

AAAAAARGGH!

I will never understand why anyone, let alone a teacher of all people, would care about a rule which is hardly even a rule and doesn't even matter in such a context. It's time to let it go Doctor, the language will not be contrained any further, fight a battle that can be won!
  • Options

Nah, that was the Romans with Res publica.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Lol, so he printed a photo of his boss, on the front page, that said boss asked to be changed - and instead of saying 'yes, Sir' went off on a rant to his boss about the independence and integrity of his own role within the organisation.

Okay then, one P45 in the post.
  • Options

Are they saying the advice from the NCSC is wrong?

The US government is now floating the idea of aquiring a controlling interest in Nokia and Ericsson, so it should be abundantly clear to even our dimmest MPs that we should not trust any supplier. The only way out of this mess is open standards and systems and a much greater diversity of suppliers. Simply banning Huawei is going to leave us even more dependent on companies that do not deserve our trust either.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    Even if he goes no further, well done to Mayor Pete for making such impact.
  • Options
    glw said:

Ed Balls is another.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Klobucher supporters know what to do now.
  • Options
    How on earth is Steyer on 4%?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Spectator piggybacking TSEs scoop
  • Options
    Andrea Leadsom warns against 'male dominated' workplaces as Boris Johnson prepares to cull women from Cabinet

Business Secretary says equality should be 'the absolute norm' in all workplaces

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/07/andrea-leadsom-warns-against-male-dominated-workplaces-boris/
  • Options

Nah, that was the Romans with Res publica.
    Nah, the Romans spelt it differently :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Non Socialist-might-actually-win democrat total is ≈ 46 on that poll????
  • Options

glw said:

That's perhaps true, although on politics Portillo can revert a bit when he's on programmes like This Week.
    He’s on QT in a fortnight #MakeThursdayNightsGreatAgain
This discussion has been closed.