Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Irish General Election 2020 : Predictions & Review (Final Part

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps the most qtwtain thing you'll see today.

https://twitter.com/andreajenkyns/status/1225110886597173248?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Great header, @GreenMachine. Good luck getting any comments on Ireland while the American fiasco unfolds.

True, lol.
    @Thegreenmachine, great write up , just pity it is on so early and amid all the bollox from USA, deserves much better attention.
    Budget day in Scotland today I understand.

What do you think the Finance Secretary is going to say? ;)
    Likely to be his last speech , given the revelations. If even a smidgen of what the SUN says is true he is finished. He should be gone this morning unless he can prove allegations are totally false.
    Well said.....unlike some other Nats!

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1225312942125613056?s=20
    Just amazed they have not announced he is at least suspended already.
    An unfortunate clique in the upper echelons of SNP at present.
    Part of the problem is that the boy is 16 - so no crime committed? And, after all, doesn't the SNP support votes at 16 etc.?
    I'm sure that will make it all OK and go away then (!)
    Well, obviously not. The SNP really need him to resign. If they sack him they'll be asked awkward questions about the age of consent.
    Nothing awkward about age of consent, it is 16. Fact he is 40+ and chasing people nearly a third of his age, especially given his high profile position , is the issue.
    And very few people outside of stonewall, no matter how pro liberal they are on gay rights is comfortable with a predatorial older man pursuing a heterosexual very young man for the purposes of buggery.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,576
    edited February 2020
    Thank-you for the header. Just catching up ... still rather crippled by the vicious Christmas bug.

Question: Why does Ireland need 5 MPs to represent a constituency the same same size as ours represented by one?

:-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Great header, @GreenMachine. Good luck getting any comments on Ireland while the American fiasco unfolds.

True, lol.
    @Thegreenmachine, great write up , just pity it is on so early and amid all the bollox from USA, deserves much better attention.

Likely to be his last speech , given the revelations. If even a smidgen of what the SUN says is true he is finished. He should be gone this morning unless he can prove allegations are totally false.

Part of the problem is that the boy is 16 - so no crime committed? And, after all, doesn't the SNP support votes at 16 etc.?
    Well, obviously not. The SNP really need him to resign. If they sack him they'll be asked awkward questions about the age of consent.
    Nothing awkward about age of consent, it is 16. Fact he is 40+ and chasing people nearly a third of his age, especially given his high profile position , is the issue.
    And very few people outside of stonewall, no matter how pro liberal they are on gay rights is comfortable with a predatorial older man pursuing a heterosexual very young man for the purposes of buggery.
    TBF I think sexuality is irrelevant

If it had been a 16 yr old girl would have been just as bad
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Apropos Tesla Megapacks - one serious problem is that it is the wrong technology. Lithium gives enough cycles for say one a day for a car with a 5-10 year lifetime.

But power stations need to last half a century. So do their batteries.

Lithium batteries do not really meet the need by a factor of 5-10.

As far as I can see Tesla are quite coy about how long they last.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

JohnLoony said:

I was astonished to read a comment in the previous thread which said "One of the greatest, you'll be sadly missed" in reference to Kirk Douglas. No he wasn't, and no he won't. Obvious reasons for both.

I can think of many films where he was much missed, say, Paths of Glory where he stood on top of a parapet blowing a whistle and amazingly never got hit.

Anyone would think the soldiers were paid to shoot at his supporting cast...
    Lauren Bacall missed nothing - see where she's looking in Young Man with a Horn:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Douglas#/media/File:Douglas_-_Bacall_-_Horn_1950.jpg
    There's a fairly excoriating caricature of Douglas in Martin Amis's Money (I believe Amis was involved in a screenplay of some sf schlock or other) which involves Lorne Guyland taking his clothes off to get the pecs out at every opportunity. Tbf I wouldn't always trust Amis as a reliable witness, but his version is funny.
    I always thought - on no particular evidence - that LG was Clint Eastwood.
    On checking wiki, apparently LG was KD, Saturn 3 was the movie for which Amis wrote the screenplay.

Again with no particular evidence, I could see Clint as the massive ego but without the slightly touching insecurity.
  • Options
    I'm really glad I cashed out of my Buttigieg position yesterday,
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    We should export our election counters from the North East of England out to Iowa.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

True, lol.

ISTM that regardless of sexual overtones or not, it was incredibly poor judgement - chaperones needed both sides for probity in such a conversation.
  • Options
    This won't be the first overly slow/poor result set. California and Broward County Florida yet to come.
  • Options
    My view is that Mackay has been incredibly foolish, but there's nothing for the police here. He was not in a position of authority over the boy.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited February 2020
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

True, lol.

It badly fails the half your age plus 7 test.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,638
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

JohnLoony said:

I was astonished to read a comment in the previous thread which said "One of the greatest, you'll be sadly missed" in reference to Kirk Douglas. No he wasn't, and no he won't. Obvious reasons for both.

I can think of many films where he was much missed, say, Paths of Glory where he stood on top of a parapet blowing a whistle and amazingly never got hit.

Lauren Bacall missed nothing - see where she's looking in Young Man with a Horn:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Douglas#/media/File:Douglas_-_Bacall_-_Horn_1950.jpg
    There's a fairly excoriating caricature of Douglas in Martin Amis's Money (I believe Amis was involved in a screenplay of some sf schlock or other) which involves Lorne Guyland taking his clothes off to get the pecs out at every opportunity. Tbf I wouldn't always trust Amis as a reliable witness, but his version is funny.
    OK so I am obviously out of the loop here, Why won't he be missed and why wasn't he one of the greatest for 'obvious reasons'? I'm feeling rather stupid this morning.
  • Options
    Hmm.

I don't think 16 year olds should have the vote.

But if that's deemed to be the age of majority (including consent) isn't it incongruous to then condemn someone for showing interest in someone of that age? You can't be both a helpless child and a full-grown adult capable of deciding who governs a country.

[Reminds me a bit of Greta Thunberg, who, apparently, is simultaneously the font of wisdom and unassailable because she's just a girl and can't be picked on].

It does look sleazy, but I wonder how those who think schoolchildren should have the vote reconcile that with considering this to be unacceptable.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

I was looking at cashing out, but was being offered a really poor return. By contrast, by betting on the other one (but keeping my liability against all other candidates) I saved a lot.

I think it's because of lack of liquidity.
  • Options
    Good morning everyone.

Totally off topic, and this may have been mentioned already, apologies if so, but this is worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/06/inside-the-mind-of-dominic-cummings-brexit-boris-johnson-conservatives
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

True, lol.

Predatory, what do you know about the Finance Secretary's sexual habits or intentions, and why do you think people within stonewall are more tolerant of sexual predation than people outside it?
  • Options

Me too - or rather my lay of Sanders (thanks DH).

With US elections its too risky trying to squeeze out the last few pounds of profit.
  • Options
    kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

JohnLoony said:

OK so I am obviously out of the loop here, Why won't he be missed and why wasn't he one of the greatest for 'obvious reasons'? I'm feeling rather stupid this morning.
    I didn't get that either.
  • Options
    רו אין שלום איסר דניאלאָוויטש
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited February 2020
    MattW said:

Apropos Tesla Megapacks - one serious problem is that it is the wrong technology. Lithium gives enough cycles for say one a day for a car with a 5-10 year lifetime.

The other problem is they are imports.

The solar/wind aspect of answering our energy needs has been funded by around £8 billion of government subsidies. But what is hidden is that it has resulted in around £14 billion of imported kit - turbines, blades, solar panels. Great for Denmark, Sweden, Germany - not so great for UK plc. We have to find a domestic answer to our electricity production. And since last year, that answer isn't going to be shale gas either.

*privately-funded, 84% domestic content tidal lagoons wave*
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    MattW said:

Current state of the art is around 4000 cycles, with only 10% capacity fall off:
    https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-may-soon-have-a-battery-that-can-last-a-million-miles/
    So even on your 50 year timescale (which I think unrealistically long), that's a factor of 4-5.

As for coy, Tesla are holding a "battery day" this spring, where no doubt they will discuss such issues.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    edited February 2020

Hmm.

But if that's deemed to be the age of majority (including consent) isn't it incongruous to then condemn someone for showing interest in someone of that age? You can't be both a helpless child and a full-grown adult capable of deciding who governs a country.

[Reminds me a bit of Greta Thunberg, who, apparently, is simultaneously the font of wisdom and unassailable because she's just a girl and can't be picked on].

It does look sleazy, but I wonder how those who think schoolchildren should have the vote reconcile that with considering this to be unacceptable.

This is an interesting take on the age of consent issue, albeit from an American perspective.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/11/20/16677180/age-consent-teenage-psychology-law-roy-moore

Personally, I have no problem with 16 year olds voting. We do not really have capacity tests for voting, and it is the same issue as other demographic groups. Democracy is like that, any ill informed idiots vote is of equal value to that of the finest brains in the land. That is how it is.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

Hmm.

I think it’s the age difference which makes it yucky. A 16 year old being pursued by an 18 year old is one thing. Being pursued by someone old enough to be his dad is not on. And I’d say the same if it the 16 year old was a girl.

And, in reality, some 16 year olds can be very emotionally immature. There is a big difference between some one who is just 16 and someone who will be 17 tomorrow.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    alex_ said:

I wonder about the coincidence in the timing of the Scotland story. Not of the “the press have timed this for maximum embarrassment” variety, but simply the probable heightened level of recognition among the general public that MacKay might have had in the lead up to the Finance statement. Making it more likely that the story would emerge.

Yes all a bit coincidental on day of budget speech, especially given how Westminster have stiffed them into making budget before knowing their pocket money grant numbers.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    So - who was the MP referred to in this incident, I wonder? And why has this story been published today?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/john-bercow-accused-of-failing-female-clerk-who-was-bullied-by-mp-3qw7xqgr2
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Foxy said:

Hmm.

This is an interesting take on the age of consent issue, albeit from an American perspective.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/11/20/16677180/age-consent-teenage-psychology-law-roy-moore

Personally, I have no problem with 16 year olds voting. We do not really have capacity tests for voting, and it is the same issue as other demographic groups. Democracy is like that, any ill informed idiots vote is of equal value to that of the finest brains in the land. That is how it is.
    Isn’t the age limit a sort of capacity test? Otherwise why have a limit at all.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

I wonder about the coincidence in the timing of the Scotland story. Not of the “the press have timed this for maximum embarrassment” variety, but simply the probable heightened level of recognition among the general public that MacKay might have had in the lead up to the Finance statement. Making it more likely that the story would emerge.

Yes all a bit coincidental on day of budget speech, especially given how Westminster have stiffed them into making budget before knowing their pocket money grant numbers.

I asked the same question. The Mum only found them a few days ago.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Foxy said:

The person who created this article is a legend.

It is a level of detail that is indeed impressive! It is embarrassing really how little our political class is interested compared with events in Iowa sports halls.

Why is it that SF are Billy No Mates south of the border, yet in government on the north side?

Is it just the threat to FF and FG of being squeezed out?

What are the constitutional obstacles North and South to a unification poll?

North the fact that more voters still vote for Unionist than Nationalist parties and Boris and Smith will therefore still block one.

What the South thinks on unification is completely irrelevant, it left the UK last century, only the views of voters in the North are relevant
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

Lucky find and she knew with budget coming up, it was good way to make a good wedge of wonga.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

Lucky find and she knew with budget coming up, it was good way to make a good wedge of wonga.
    Just have to accept that it was a coincidence.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    alex_ said:

My first thought was whether it was backlash against the powerful woke gender self-ID clique who have been recently active against opponents, especially elected ones.

On the other hand, it is being presented simply as concerned parent goes to newspaper (because the police might not be pro-active in pursuing it?) and is just too good a scoop to pass up.

https://twitter.com/lgbtipolicescot?lang=en
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

:D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

True, lol.
    Thanks for the analysis, although I’m way too far away to have sufficient understanding to bet on Irish politics. What do you think happens in the scenario where SF get sufficient seats to block any other coalition - do FF and FG somehow work together to shut the Shinners out, or does one of them bite the bullet, so to speak?
    FF already effectively provide confidence and supply to FG, so that would continue with one supporting the other, the leaders of both have refused to work with Sinn Fein
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

JohnLoony said:

Anyone? Google doesn't seem to help. Not paranoid or anything but it feels like a plot to wind me up.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

True, lol.

Predatory, what do you know about the Finance Secretary's sexual habits or intentions, and why do you think people within stonewall are more tolerant of sexual predation than people outside it?
    It is widely known, ie public, that he is homosexual. Never seen any mention re any of the other points.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,725
    Pulpstar said:

רו אין שלום איסר דניאלאָוויטש

我不会说中文
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

True, lol.

It is widely known, ie public, that he is homosexual. Never seen any mention re any of the other points.
    Homosexual does not imply a penchant for "buggery."
  • Options
    kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

JohnLoony said:

Anyone? Google doesn't seem to help. Not paranoid or anything but it feels like a plot to wind me up.
    I assume this is the allegation regarding Natalie Wood.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Hmm.

Isn’t the age limit a sort of capacity test? Otherwise why have a limit at all.
    If you mean the voting age, then there's the point of simple experience as well as capacity. Where you set the limit is open to question, but it goes beyond simple capacity.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

True, lol.

ISTM that regardless of sexual overtones or not, it was incredibly poor judgement - chaperones needed both sides for probity in such a conversation.
    The boy did fine. Politely told him he wasn’t interested and then ignored the 12 further messages that the creep sent...
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

Possibly not. A basic question to ask is not just why now but why this predator has acted as he has?

Entirely possible (purely guessing here) that he was more stressed than normal due to the budget coming up. If this behaviour was an "escape mechanism", a distraction from his stress, then its entirely possible he's been more predatory now because of the stress he is under for the budget - which makes it more likely to come out now.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:
    Intriguingly, all the data from the satellite caucuses (i.e. old people in Florida and Arizona) was that they were unfriendly to Sanders. It therefore surprises me that people assume Sanders will gain from their inclusion and nab Iowa.

A better opportunity for him, one would think, would be if there had been errors in reporting, such as we saw earlier today where Sanders votes had been attributed to Street.
    That's not true. They also had many satellite caucuses where Sanders did really well. For example a hispanic one and ones in Mosques where he got like 99% of the vote.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Cyclefree said:

Hmm.

I think it’s the age difference which makes it yucky. A 16 year old being pursued by an 18 year old is one thing. Being pursued by someone old enough to be his dad is not on. And I’d say the same if it the 16 year old was a girl.

And, in reality, some 16 year olds can be very emotionally immature. There is a big difference between some one who is just 16 and someone who will be 17 tomorrow.
    Yes, if the age difference is not taken into account in these matters, I would say that was ridiculous. It is the age ratio that matters. Year 11s dating year 9s doesnt make them borderline perverts
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

True, lol.

He has a wife and kids who he left for a weatherman.

His own son is 15 - poor boy must be really suffering today.

SNP are well rid.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

alex_ said:

The most recent message was sent on Feb 1...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

It is a level of detail that is indeed impressive! It is embarrassing really how little our political class is interested compared with events in Iowa sports halls.

Why is it that SF are Billy No Mates south of the border, yet in government on the north side?

North the fact that more voters still vote for Unionist than Nationalist parties and Boris and Smith will therefore still block one.

What the South thinks on unification is completely irrelevant, it left the UK last century, only the views of voters in the North are relevant
    No, it is more interesting than that. The SoSNI can call a binding referendum at their discretion, up to every seven years. There is also a referendum South of the border too.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/02/26/a-border-poll-can-be-held-at-any-time/

In the past the DUP have spoken of supporting one (believing they would win) but seem to have backed away.

It will be interesting to see how the next Stormont feels on the subject.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MattW said:

A year ago Tesla bought Maxwell Technologies, who are probably best known for their supercapacitors, to aquire their dry electrode technology which it is said will bring down battery costs, as manufacturing should be simpler, and increase the longevity of batteries. Battery technology is steadily improving, and Tesla are moving from being only a consumer of batteries to a producer and innovator as well.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

True, lol.

Homosexual does not imply a penchant for "buggery."
    I’m not an expert, and accept it’s a slightly perjorative term, but isn’t it just a description of a specific act that I’d assume is more popular among homosexuals than other groups?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

No, it is more interesting than that. The SoSNI can call a binding referendum at their discretion, up to every seven years. There is also a referendum South of the border too.

In the past the DUP have spoken of supporting one (believing they would win) but seem to have backed away.

At their discretion, if they think that a majority would vote yes.

Ah, the new link is an article debunking that caveat.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Current state of the art is around 4000 cycles, with only 10% capacity fall off:
    https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-may-soon-have-a-battery-that-can-last-a-million-miles/
    So even on your 50 year timescale (which I think unrealistically long), that's a factor of 4-5.

As for coy, Tesla are holding a "battery day" this spring, where no doubt they will discuss such issues.
    We'll see - I could not find anything easily.

There's still quite a jump to be made.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    I'd rather not imagine Gordon Brown calling me "cute", thank you very much.

Hello again, breakfast.....
  • Options

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

JohnLoony said:

I assume this is the allegation regarding Natalie Wood.
    Thank you. Sort of sorry I asked now.
  • Options

Hmm.

What's common to both points of view?

That her views are right and she shouldn't be challenged. In fact, that's really at its core because if she were a very intelligent and inspiring adult (aged 35, say) then the innocence of youth wouldn't apply and it would be harder to shut down opposing arguments.

Greta is popular precisely because she represents the unassailability of the point of view that her supporters want to engender.

They can't believe their luck in having her.
  • Options
    That said this will make precisely no difference to the SNP's popularity or prospects.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

No it is not. Boris has made clear he will ban indyref2 for his full 5 year term as per the Tory manifesto and the same applies at Stormont, provided the DUP and UUP continue to have more MLAs than Sinn Fein and the SDLP there is zero chance of Boris or Smith even considering a border poll.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    algarkirk said:

How else do journalists get to send their kids to posh schools and become Masters of Oxford colleges?

The REAL question is: can ANY journo afford posh school fees if he or she has arranged their career to end up as Master of an Oxford college?

Our hedgie neighbours point out that fees at Eton are a trivial part of the annual bonus (and who'd want to be a Head of House at 60 anyway?). The ex-journos (whether Masters in retirement or doing real jobs) either boast of sending their kids to state schools or rapidly change the subject.

We're taken aside later and told how Tristram's years at Magdalen College School have all been thanks to the generous parents in law.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    MattW said:

One valid use of the home based Tesla chargers might well be to recycle old car batteries. A 20% drop in charge power over time is very much noticeable in a car, but much less so in a home power wall.
  • Options
    I don't see why people are complaining about a ban on petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles from 2035 regarding hybrid vehicles and say it is making hybrid the new diesel.

Hybrid vehicles were never more than a stepping stone not a long-term solution and it is NEW hybrid vehicles that will be stopped being sold in 15 years time. Second hand sales of hybrids will still be allowed so even if you bought a hybrid in 2034 you'll still be able to sell it second hand.

Even if you bought a hybrid last year then by 2035 it will already be 16 years old and still allowed on the second hand market.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

At their discretion, if they think that a majority would vote yes.

Ah, the new link is an article debunking that caveat.
    It does not at all as the article was predicated on a hard border with the Republic of Ireland which has been avoided
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

That said this will make precisely no difference to the SNP's popularity or prospects.
    Possibly not. But there had been rumours swirling round that SNP would use defeat of budget as a lever to collapse the Government and force an early election. They are polling very high numbers just now and it would help Nicola Sturgeon diffuse some of the anger in some Nat circles about her failure to deliver on 2020 referendum promises. (WIngs Over Scotland very strong on this).
    If that ever was been seriously considered I should have thought this puts the kibosh on it. "Events, dear boy, events..."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

No it is not. Boris has made clear he will ban indyref2 for his full 5 year term as per the Tory manifesto and the same applies at Stormont, provided the DUP and UUP continue to have more MLAs than Sinn Fein and the SDLP there is zero chance of Boris or Smith even considering a border poll.
    I'm not sure that's sustainable if the SNP/Greens win handsomely next year.

At some point the IndyRef 'now we're out the EU' boil needs to be lanced.

The trouble is that I could easily see the next ref being a nailbiter, and they'd want another round in 2026 as well.

The trouble is there's one party for the 45% and three or more for the 55% - all fairly weak north of the border - so I don't seem how the SNP ever lose office whilst Scotland is still in the UK.
  • Options

Nothing will until Scotland goes independent. The sooner the Scots go independent the sooner they can have grown up politics again and not be pointing at London.

Its the same argument as for Brexit and getting British politicians to not be able to blame Brussels anymore.
  • Options
    Not seeing anything, but it would be a bad look not to apply the same standards as in the Mark McDonald case.
  • Options

People will go on saying that’s true until it’s not.

Yesterday was a bad enough day with the Ferry mess and the education review

https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/1225311808434704384?s=20
  • Options

Nothing will until Scotland goes independent. The sooner the Scots go independent the sooner they can have grown up politics again and not be pointing at London.

Its the same argument as for Brexit and getting British politicians to not be able to blame Brussels anymore.
    I don't think it is because I consider the UK one whole unified country, whereas the EU is an international confederal organisation that aspires to be one.

I think it would be very damaging for both England and Scotland to detach from each other.
  • Options

People will go on saying that’s true until it’s not.

Yesterday was a bad enough day with the Ferry mess and the education review

https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/1225311808434704384?s=20
    "Until it's not" is once Scotland is independent. If Scotland doesn't go independent then it will stay true.
  • Options

I don't think it is because I consider the UK one whole unified country, whereas the EU is an international confederal organisation that aspires to be one.

I think it would be very damaging for both England and Scotland to detach from each other.
    I don't consider England and Scotland especially unified.
  • Options
    I see the eco-fascists are now saying that the ban on petrol / diesel cars needs to be now. These people are just totally nuts.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020

I don't see why people are complaining about a ban on petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles from 2035 regarding hybrid vehicles and say it is making hybrid the new diesel.

Hybrid vehicles were never more than a stepping stone not a long-term solution and it is NEW hybrid vehicles that will be stopped being sold in 15 years time. Second hand sales of hybrids will still be allowed so even if you bought a hybrid in 2034 you'll still be able to sell it second hand.

Even if you bought a hybrid last year then by 2035 it will already be 16 years old and still allowed on the second hand market.

Hybrids have always been a massive con. When all the celebs were driving around in their Toyota pious' (TM South Park), the MPG of some similar sized petrol cars on the market already exceeded the Toyota's because of the massive extra weight of all those batteries on top of the petrol engine.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

So who is going to deliver the Scottish budget today?

Presumably all the papers are already printed, and the next however many days of Parliamentary time set aside to debate it?
    Kate Forbes, junior finance minister; big challenge and opportunity.
    Good luck to her, in difficult circumstances not of her own making.
    Kate Forbes is well regarded and certainly not a frother. Problem for SNP is that after Sturgeon and Swinney their most talented people are, ironically, down in Westminster.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I'm not sure that's sustainable if the SNP/Greens win handsomely next year.

At some point the IndyRef 'now we're out the EU' boil needs to be lanced.

The trouble is that I could easily see the next ref being a nailbiter, and they'd want another round in 2026 as well.

The trouble is there's one party for the 45% and three or more for the 55% - all fairly weak north of the border - so I don't seem how the SNP ever lose office whilst Scotland is still in the UK.
    Exactly, give the SNP another referendum next year and they will be demanding indyref3 within a decade. Which is why Boris has refused to feed the crocodile and ruled out Indyref2 whatever the circumstances while he is PM.

In a decade after a full generation as Salmond promised since 2014 indyref2 might be a consideration, not now
  • Options
    I don't quite understand how you can report on a total of 190 seats when in the last Parliament, there were only 158?
  • Options

The EU is still our largest export market, we cannot ignore them completely
  • Options

I see the eco-fascists are now saying that the ban on petrol / diesel cars needs to be now. These people are just totally nuts.

Those people don't actaully care about the environment.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020

Well no and it is why the police deemed XR an extremist group. The core want to destroy the capitalist society, they are very open about it. It is all suckers that go on the marches because they do care about the environment, who haven't really considered they are supporting a group of extremists who want to totally smash the system.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Good morning everyone.

Totally off topic, and this may have been mentioned already, apologies if so, but this is worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/06/inside-the-mind-of-dominic-cummings-brexit-boris-johnson-conservatives

Loved this sentence:

"He says he’s happy to be told where he’s wrong, though you can’t help feeling that he doesn’t expect there will be much call for such frankness."

• Options
    FFS "Green" lady on Sky News saying electric cars are not a solution as swapping one type of car for another car is not the answer.

These people don't give a f**k about the environment. Their hatred of cars is religious not sensible.
  • Options
    God alone knows when we will be paid over Iowa.
  • Options

Hybrids have always been a massive con. When all the celebs were driving around in their Toyota pious' (TM South Park), the MPG of some similar sized petrol cars on the market already exceeded the Toyota's because of the massive extra weight of all those batteries on top of the petrol engine.
    Even a BMW M3 is more economical than a Pious*

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s-aK-GDp2tA

*around a track, or on a motorway. In stop/start city driving the hybrid will win.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

FFS "Green" lady on Sky News saying electric cars are not a solution as swapping one type of car for another car is not the answer.

Well it entirely depends what the "problem" is. If your main concern is congestion - then electric v petrol makes bugger all difference. If your main concern is carbon emissions then it clearly does make a difference.
  • Options

Well no and it is why the police deemed XR an extremist group. The core want to destroy the capitalist society, they are very open about it. It is all suckers that go on the marches because they do care about the environment, who haven't really considered they are supporting a group of extremists who want to totally smash the system.
    Doesn't capitalism rely on environmentally unfriendliness? Or is that Globalism?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

True, lol.
    Thanks for the analysis, although I’m way too far away to have sufficient understanding to bet on Irish politics. What do you think happens in the scenario where SF get sufficient seats to block any other coalition - do FF and FG somehow work together to shut the Shinners out, or does one of them bite the bullet, so to speak?
    I'm on FF & SF @ 4-1, you can play if you like.
  • Options

These people don't give a f**k about the environment. Their hatred of cars is religious not sensible.

It’s not a hatred of cars, it’s a hatred of personal autonomy. And yes, it’s religious.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

True, lol.
    At least we're not as corrupt.
  • Options

Thanks to GreenMachine for a very interesting election summary.

Thank you, appreciated and liked.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, don't you trust the state to satisfy all your needs?
  • Options
    Diane Abbott's comments about Lord Lisvane not being able to be bullied by John Bercow, because he has a military background, are quite revealing. It's not too far a jump to think she doesn't believe tough guys who served in the army can suffer when they return to civilian life
  • Options
    Bit careless mislaying your Finance Secretary on budget day.
  • Options
    Labour should invite council leaders to attend its shadow cabinet as it tries to rebuild the party following the general election, leadership contender Lisa Nandy has said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/06/council-chiefs-deserve-role-in-labour-shadow-cabinet-says-lisa-nandy

I see what she is trying to achieve, but it is a bit these ideas of inviting a load of shop floor workers into board meetings. You won't get what needs to be done, as Bob from the bolts department wants to raise issues like the bogs being blocked when the board are meeting to discuss the high level corporate, financial and strategic issues, which Bob isn't trained in.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,665

Hmm.

What's common to both points of view?

That her views are right and she shouldn't be challenged. In fact, that's really at its core because if she were a very intelligent and inspiring adult (aged 35, say) then the innocence of youth wouldn't apply and it would be harder to shut down opposing arguments.

Greta is popular precisely because she represents the unassailability of the point of view that her supporters want to engender.

They can't believe their luck in having her.
    In her home country the far-right are leading the polls on almost 30%. Woke-ism isn't exactly proving popular with voters, both in Sweden and elsewhere.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

True, lol.
    I'm on FF & SF @ 4-1, you can play if you like.
    But the difference between us is that you understand Irish politics, and (notwithstanding your excellent articles on the subject), I don’t! Good luck with your bets though.
This discussion has been closed.