Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Irish General Election 2020 : Predictions & Review (Final Part

Comments

• Options
    isam said:

Diane Abbott's comments about Lord Lisvane not being able to be bullied by John Bercow, because he has a military background, are quite revealing. It's not too far a jump to think she doesn't believe tough guys who served in the army can suffer when they return to civilian life

Yeah but she is also a person who doesn't believe non-white people can be racist. She obviously never watched Chris Rock very funny bit on this.
  • Options
    isam said:

Diane Abbott's comments about Lord Lisvane not being able to be bullied by John Bercow, because he has a military background, are quite revealing. It's not too far a jump to think she doesn't believe tough guys who served in the army can suffer when they return to civilian life

Lord Lisvane has never served in the military.
  • Options

Looking at the dynamics of these two and three member seats, it seems at face value to have been an major error of Sinn Fein that they considered themselves so weak that they should not field more than one candidate in any of them, given their current standing in the polls.

Are there any reciprocal deals in place for sharing 2nd preferences with other parties also standing only one candidate?

More often than enough, the Irish polls are inaccurate. In the previous election SF were polling well and not much came from it.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

God alone knows when we will be paid over Iowa.

Well, strictly speaking the results of the Democratic Iowa caucuses are not settled until the state convention in June.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited February 2020

isam said:

Yeah but she is also a person who doesn't believe non-white people can be racist. She obviously never watched Chris Rock very funny bit on this.
    I wonder why she doesn't retire from front line politics. She has a lot on her plate with her diabetes and a son who is mentally ill/in trouble with the police. She is probably a problem drinker because of it all.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Sandpit said:

I don't see why people are complaining about a ban on petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles from 2035 regarding hybrid vehicles and say it is making hybrid the new diesel.

Hybrid vehicles were never more than a stepping stone not a long-term solution and it is NEW hybrid vehicles that will be stopped being sold in 15 years time. Second hand sales of hybrids will still be allowed so even if you bought a hybrid in 2034 you'll still be able to sell it second hand.

Even if you bought a hybrid last year then by 2035 it will already be 16 years old and still allowed on the second hand market.

Hybrids have always been a massive con. When all the celebs were driving around in their Toyota pious' (TM South Park), the MPG of some similar sized petrol cars on the market already exceeded the Toyota's because of the massive extra weight of all those batteries on top of the petrol engine.
    Even a BMW M3 is more economical than a Pious*

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s-aK-GDp2tA

*around a track, or on a motorway. In stop/start city driving the hybrid will win.
    I've had at least 6 M3s and the most economical of them (the E36) never did better than 25mpg so... no.

The least economical was the E90 which never cracked 20mpg.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

I don't see why people are complaining about a ban on petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles from 2035 regarding hybrid vehicles and say it is making hybrid the new diesel.

Hybrid vehicles were never more than a stepping stone not a long-term solution and it is NEW hybrid vehicles that will be stopped being sold in 15 years time. Second hand sales of hybrids will still be allowed so even if you bought a hybrid in 2034 you'll still be able to sell it second hand.

Even if you bought a hybrid last year then by 2035 it will already be 16 years old and still allowed on the second hand market.

Hybrids have always been a massive con. When all the celebs were driving around in their Toyota pious' (TM South Park), the MPG of some similar sized petrol cars on the market already exceeded the Toyota's because of the massive extra weight of all those batteries on top of the petrol engine.

*around a track, or on a motorway. In stop/start city driving the hybrid will win.
    I've had at least 6 M3s and the most economical of them (the E36) never did better than 25mpg so... no.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way you drive it ;-)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Charles said:

I’m not an expert, and accept it’s a slightly perjorative term, but isn’t it just a description of a specific act that I’d assume is more popular among homosexuals than other groups?

The word is obsolete and offensive; it's like that creep who likes to refer to illegitimate children as "bastards." And surveys show that not all gay men do it regularly, or at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

isam said:

Blimey she got that wrong too!

(Or is David Leakey not Lord Lisvane? I dont really know who they are)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-bullying-john-bercow-david-leakey-military-twitter-a9318431.html
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

isam said:

Nor Dave Chapelle’s recent bit on “Juicy Smolliay”
    youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wZXoErL2124
  • Options
    JohnO said:
    I am shocked.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited February 2020
    isam said:

isam said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-bullying-john-bercow-david-leakey-military-twitter-a9318431.html
    Like Diane Abbott on most things you're wrong, David Leakey is not Lord Lisvane, Lord Lisvane was commonly known as Sir Robert Rodgers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    rpjs said:

Well, strictly speaking the results of the Democratic Iowa caucuses are not settled until the state convention in June.
    Every single US election votes are "found" 4 or 5 days after the result. I remember Hillary's numbers being bumped up in Michigan way way way after it was "declared" for Trump. It didn't change the result, so no one really noticed or cared but I felt that really wasn't the point.
    California is probably the worst state for it but because it's always delivering millions of useless Democrat votes people don't seem to care about any sort of timeliness or accuracy there.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

This one did 19mpg. But (spoiler alert) the Pious it was chasing did 17.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The person who created this article is a legend.

It is a level of detail that is indeed impressive! It is embarrassing really how little our political class is interested compared with events in Iowa sports halls.

Why is it that SF are Billy No Mates south of the border, yet in government on the north side?

Is it just the threat to FF and FG of being squeezed out?

What are the constitutional obstacles North and South to a unification poll?

1. Both Fine Gael and Fianna Fail are centre to right wing where as SF are more left., That's a factor. Their IRA past doesn't help.

2. The Majority of the new breed SF have no association with the IRA and that's why their polling well. SF are seen as the easily selective alternative now.

3. DUP, UUP & Boris Johnson are obstacles, there are not many in the south.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    isam said:

isam said:

Leakey was Black Rod
    Lisvane =Sir Robert Rogers who was Commons Chief Clerk
  • Options
    I predict this will not end well, not even Alastair Campbell and Jonathan Powell tried this level of power grab.

Dominic Cummings is playing a central role in drawing up plans for next month’s budget, his allies claimed yesterday, a move that will inflame tensions with the Treasury.

The prime minister’s top adviser is understood to be attempting to set the direction of the government’s tax and spending commitments, which are normally the preserve of the chancellor.

One source said that Mr Cummings was working on proposals for the budget and government spending review “pretty much full time” and was determined to ensure that they delivered the kind of radical “levelling up” of the economy promised by Boris Johnson.

However, the direct involvement of Mr Cummings has not been welcomed by Sajid Javid. Although Treasury aides have been keen to emphasise the good working relationship between Mr Javid and Mr Johnson they are silent on the role of Mr Cummings.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/dominic-cummings-wants-control-of-budget-spending-plans-ppjwg6qsb
  • Options
    edited February 2020

isam said:

isam said:

Like Diane Abbott on most things you're wrong, David Leakey is not Lord Lisvane, Lord Lisvane was commonly known as Sir Robert Rodgers.
    Haha, oh you! :D

Diane Abbott's comments about David Leakey not being able to be bullied by John Bercow, because he has a military background, are quite revealing. It's not too far a jump to think she doesn't believe tough guys who served in the army can suffer when they return to civilian life
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Apparently I'm the first to point out that the article's been duplicated?

Has anyone who's posted actually read it?

I noticed it myself.
  • Options
    TheGreenMachineTheGreenMachine Posts: 1,043
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Great threader by Green Machine.

SF have not got enough candidates to take advantage of their surge I suspect.

Correct, 4-11 FG most seats (match bet Vs SF) should win.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

isam said:

isam said:

Leakey was Black Rod
    Yes, sorry I thought they were the same person. The point stands; Abbott thinks military men cant be bullied when they return to civilian life, and I dont think that reflects well on her when you consider the amount of veterans who suffer post conflict
  • Options
    Thats odd. Weren't we assured it "couldn't be done"?

More than 3 million applications to the EU Settlement Scheme
    The milestone was reached less than a year after the scheme was fully launched to the public, with more than 2.7 million already granted status.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/more-than-3-million-applications-to-the-eu-settlement-scheme

Home Secretary Priti Patel said:

I’m delighted that there have already been more than 3 million applications to the hugely successful EU Settlement Scheme.

It’s the biggest scheme of its kind in British history and means that EU citizens can evidence their rights for decades to come.

It’s now time for EU countries to adopt a similar scheme.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:

rpjs said:

Every single US election votes are "found" 4 or 5 days after the result. I remember Hillary's numbers being bumped up in Michigan way way way after it was "declared" for Trump. It didn't change the result, so no one really noticed or cared but I felt that really wasn't the point.
    California is probably the worst state for it but because it's always delivering millions of useless Democrat votes people don't seem to care about any sort of timeliness or accuracy there.
    The British system scales perfectly well, and almost all our election counting is complete within ten hours of the close of polling. That some American systems take weeks to certify the result makes no sense at all.

The most amusing thing is that the most vociferous advocates of the British voting system in the USA are found on technology sites. Those of us who work all day with technology *know* that most electronic forms of voting are a solution looking for a nonexistent problem.
  • Options
    Disgraceful

Fury as Government issues ‘ridiculous’ orders to town halls to fly Union Jack on Prince Andrew’s birthday

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10902827/government-order-flag-prince-andrew/
  • Options

I predict this will not end well, not even Alastair Campbell and Jonathan Powell tried this level of power grab.

Dominic Cummings is playing a central role in drawing up plans for next month’s budget, his allies claimed yesterday, a move that will inflame tensions with the Treasury.

The prime minister’s top adviser is understood to be attempting to set the direction of the government’s tax and spending commitments, which are normally the preserve of the chancellor....

It does not matter if Javid and Boris get on well or not, Javid needs to get on well with PM Cummings :D

Just remind me - Brexit was about ensuring that only our ELECTED politicians could run things? No unelected, power crazy people in charge?
  • Options

The prime minister’s top adviser is understood to be attempting to set the direction of the government’s tax and spending commitments, which are normally the preserve of the chancellor.

One source said that Mr Cummings was working on proposals for the budget and government spending review “pretty much full time” and was determined to ensure that they delivered the kind of radical “levelling up” of the economy promised by Boris Johnson.

However, the direct involvement of Mr Cummings has not been welcomed by Sajid Javid. Although Treasury aides have been keen to emphasise the good working relationship between Mr Javid and Mr Johnson they are silent on the role of Mr Cummings.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/dominic-cummings-wants-control-of-budget-spending-plans-ppjwg6qsb

I suppose the Lawson/Walters conflict is the closest comparison. But the Saj seems to be an altogether more masochistic personality. I suspect he'll just take his punishment in the end.
  • Options
    isam said:

JohnO said:

isam said:

isam said:

Leakey was Black Rod
    Yes, sorry I thought they were the same person. The point stands; Abbott thinks military men cant be bullied when they return to civilian life, and I dont think that reflects well on her when you consider the amount of veterans who suffer post conflict
    I wonder if she said the same about Angus Sinclair, or does she think the navy are pussies?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Been reading about a possible watershed in Irish politics where Sinn Fein make a breakthrough and become real contenders for power.
  • Options
    O/T

For any PBers involved in the local/London Mayoral/PCA elections this year, I have a question.

The elections are on Thursday 7th of May, and are the count set for Thursday night/Friday morning?

I only ask because Friday the 8th is a bank holiday for the VE anniversary and it seems a bit weird to count/announce the results on such a solemn day.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

Disgraceful

Fury as Government issues ‘ridiculous’ orders to town halls to fly Union Jack on Prince Andrew’s birthday

Why don't town halls fly Union Flag in general anyway? Good luck finding a town hall in America without the stars and stripes.
  • Options
    glw said:

MattW said:

Apropos Tesla Megapacks - one serious problem is that it is the wrong technology. Lithium gives enough cycles for say one a day for a car with a 5-10 year lifetime.

But power stations need to last half a century. So do their batteries.

Lithium batteries do not really meet the need by a factor of 5-10.

As far as I can see Tesla are quite coy about how long they last.

A year ago Tesla bought Maxwell Technologies, who are probably best known for their supercapacitors, to aquire their dry electrode technology which it is said will bring down battery costs, as manufacturing should be simpler, and increase the longevity of batteries. Battery technology is steadily improving, and Tesla are moving from being only a consumer of batteries to a producer and innovator as well.
    Edison cells are already known to last 50 years as they use alkali for the electrolyte. They are still used for tasks requiring long-life, hard to replace rechargables
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

O/T

For any PBers involved in the local/London Mayoral/PCA elections this year, I have a question.

The elections are on Thursday 7th of May, and are the count set for Thursday night/Friday morning?

I only ask because Friday the 8th is a bank holiday for the VE anniversary and it seems a bit weird to count/announce the results on such a solemn day.

No different to 2015. I remember the BBC having Al Murray on the set of the VE Day programme just hours after the Thanet South declaration.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

isam said:

JohnO said:

isam said:

isam said:

Leakey was Black Rod
    I wonder if she said the same about Angus Sinclair, or does she think the navy are pussies?
    Stopped clock, and all that...
  • Options

Disgraceful

Given that we have left the EU, and all their weird rules on flags flying, why doesn’t every town hall fly a Union Flag all the time anyway?

(As everyone knows, it’s only a Union Jack when flown from the back of a ship)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Been reading about a possible watershed in Irish politics where Sinn Fein make a breakthrough and become real contenders for power.
    They haven't enough candidates this year, if polls are correct and stay consistent for a few years, they'll likely win next election.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

O/T

No different to 2015. I remember the BBC having Al Murray on the set of the VE Day programme just hours after the Thanet South declaration.
    IIRC that wasn't a Bank Holiday.
  • Options
    Perhaps she thinks that at the end of the day you don't mess with a military man.

Certainly this is why I never argue with @Dura_Ace or @TOPPING.

But seriously, Abbott should be afforded more respect on here. She has achieved an awful lot and is an important figure in British politics.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

O/T

IIRC that wasn't a Bank Holiday.
    Well no, but the point stands that results were announced on VE Day. I guess those doing the counts might get an extra day off in addition to what they would normally get to account for the bank holiday.
  • Options

O/T

I'm pretty sure that the counts, at least here in the sticks, will be on Saturday this year.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Perhaps she thinks that at the end of the day you don't mess with a military man.

But seriously, Abbott should be afforded more respect on here. She has achieved an awful lot and is an important figure in British politics.

She has indeed done well in life. Even managed to afford to send her son to one of the best schools in the country.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

What are some of her awful achievements?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

O/T

I'm pretty sure that the counts, at least here in the sticks, will be on Saturday this year.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Exactly what has Abbott achieved?
  • Options
    What can be more appropriate for VE Day than announcing election results? Our ancestors died so that we could have the liberty to vote afterall.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

What are some of her awful achievements?
    It is heartwarming that the child of immigrants to this country were Home Secretary and Shadow Home Secretary.

Shows the brilliance of this country that it doesn't matter where you came from it is all about where you're going.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Anyone know what's happening with Alex? I thought his trial for alleged historical sex crimes was due to start in January?

Has there been a delay?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

She made Michael Portillo on a sofa seem like the voice of reason.
  • Options
    As I suggested earlier, this is going to be difficult for the SNP. They cannot acknowledge that a 16 year old is a child.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Anyone know what's happening with Alex? I thought his trial for alleged historical sex crimes was due to start in January?

Has there been a delay?
    The trial begins on the 9th of March, the January date was just a case management hearing IIRC.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited February 2020

GIN1138 said:

Has there been a delay?
    The trial begins on the 9th of March, the January date was just a case management hearing IIRC.
    Thank you TSE of PB :)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Thats odd. Weren't we assured it "couldn't be done"?

More than 3 million applications to the EU Settlement Scheme
    The milestone was reached less than a year after the scheme was fully launched to the public, with more than 2.7 million already granted status.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/more-than-3-million-applications-to-the-eu-settlement-scheme

Home Secretary Priti Patel said:

I’m delighted that there have already been more than 3 million applications to the hugely successful EU Settlement Scheme.

It’s the biggest scheme of its kind in British history and means that EU citizens can evidence their rights for decades to come.

It’s now time for EU countries to adopt a similar scheme.

Interestingly only about 1% of applications have been rejected, and almost all of those are due to the application being invalid in some way. So it looks like almost everyone who has asked has been granted settled or pre-settled status. It actually looks like the scheme has been very successful rather than the "total bloody disaster" you might have thought it would be if you listended to the critics.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Maybe Prince Andrew will be the first royal to join the SNP ?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    If we're making a shout out to London based PBers is anyone free on Feb 15th who wants to see some boxing at York Hall? A friend is fighting there, I always try to go when he fights and in any case buy a ticket. This time I will be out of town. He is called Larry Ekundayo and is the IBF European Welterweight title holder although this is not a title fight.

If anyone wants to go I have a ringside seat which will otherwise go to waste.
  • Options

What can be more appropriate for VE Day than announcing election results? Our ancestors died so that we could have the liberty to vote afterall.

I think you're misunderestimating how late the London Mayoral results have been in the past.

Anyhoo, I've booked a holiday from the 3rd of May through to the 11th of May, so I miss the elections.

Nothing major happens when the PB editorial team go on holiday.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

I bet when she was a child, going round to Baker St to collect the rent off her Fathers tenants, she never dreamed she would be sending her own son to private school.
  • Options

I think you're misunderestimating how late the London Mayoral results have been in the past.

Anyhoo, I've booked a holiday from the 3rd of May through to the 11th of May, so I miss the elections.

What more major can occur now? Surely we're all overdue some peace and stability.

Your holiday spans the last game of the season at Anfield. If (not counting chickens yet) Liverpool do win the title, potentially at Goodison or elsewhere, when and where does the trophy get presented?

Is it at the next home game, the last home game, or the last game of the season? Seems a shame if its the last game of the season to do it at Newcastle.
  • Options
    isam said:

JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

I bet when she was a child, going round to Baker St to collect the rent off her Fathers tenants, she never dreamed she would be sending her own son to private school.
    Father welder according to god of Wiki.

Parents got divorced - mother didn't remarry Rachman did she?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

What more major can occur now? Surely we're all overdue some peace and stability.

Your holiday spans the last game of the season at Anfield. If (not counting chickens yet) Liverpool do win the title, potentially at Goodison or elsewhere, when and where does the trophy get presented?

Is it at the next home game, the last home game, or the last game of the season? Seems a shame if its the last game of the season to do it at Newcastle.
    Last home game of the season (though, to do it at Newcastle would be incredibly funny).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    TGOHF666 said:
    I know I don't pay as much attention to the goings on at oor toon council as I should but...who?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

I cant remember what he did for a living, she spoke of it on her Desert Island Discs. They moved to Harrow and her Dad had a place in town he rented out.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:
    I know I don't pay as much attention to the goings on at oor toon council as I should but...who?
    She's younger than me FFS.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

I cant remember what he did for a living, she spoke of it on her Desert Island Discs. They moved to Harrow and her Dad had a place in town he rented out.
    So he was a landlord collecting rents?

Edit for your edit: I see - so not exactly the Wolf of Willesden, meanwhile quite a nasty slur from you.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Last home game of the season (though, to do it at Newcastle would be incredibly funny).
    To do it at Goodison would be funnier.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    edited February 2020
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

rpjs said:

The British system scales perfectly well, and almost all our election counting is complete within ten hours of the close of polling. That some American systems take weeks to certify the result makes no sense at all.

The most amusing thing is that the most vociferous advocates of the British voting system in the USA are found on technology sites. Those of us who work all day with technology *know* that most electronic forms of voting are a solution looking for a nonexistent problem.
    Very silly question, but hear me out - but what exactly IS the British system? I know, returning officers announcing individual counts. But after that? At Locals, journalists are on the ground and relay counts and local councils eventually post on their websites (which I think is now mandated). At GEs are anyone other than BBC, ITN, Sky reporting seat tallies. HoC library does, again eventually, but that is secondary to the broadcast media doing the overarching seat counting themselves isn't it?

It was the transmission and relay of counts that primarily failed in Iowa rather than the counting itself, are we saying that caucus organisers should announce locally and the media relay in parallel with the Democratic party? Does the USAs weaker demand for impartiality and tendency to try and 'call it and count it' in advance of any declaration allow this to be possible. Given the counting itself was manual at town halls, what does 'doing it like the British' actually mean in the context of Iowa, apart from 'don't use an app'?

Perhaps the Brexit vote count is the closest we could suggest, where there was a formal collation at each level?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Disgraceful

Given that we have left the EU, and all their weird rules on flags flying, why doesn’t every town hall fly a Union Flag all the time anyway?

It's only a jack if it's flown at the jackstaff which is at the bow.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

To do it at Goodison would be funnier.
    They should have a novelty trophy on standby:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/nintchdbpict000002681910.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Disgraceful

What's it called if it's wrapped around someone's nether regions as a pair of boxer shorts?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

07:12 "Daddy" bought the house in Harrow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b00bbdly
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Poor junior minister who’s got the unenviable job of reading the Budget speech out today, after her boss screwed up in the most fantastic way possible.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Disgraceful

What's it called if it's wrapped around someone's nether regions as a pair of boxer shorts?
    Leave voter's nappy.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

Edit for your edit: I see - so not exactly the Wolf of Willesden, meanwhile quite a nasty slur from you.
    Where's the slur? She says it herself in the link I provide; she used to go to Paddington (not Baker St) and collect the rents of a Saturday.

Still smarting after you misinterpreted my comments about Muslims the other day, and looking for an equaliser... I didn't think you'd be ready to leave it yet to be fair.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Disgraceful

Leading vexillologists disagree.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jph1l
  • Options

I suppose the Lawson/Walters conflict is the closest comparison. But the Saj seems to be an altogether more masochistic personality. I suspect he'll just take his punishment in the end.
    I don't think the Saj has anything like the intellectual confidence that Nigel Lawson had. Probably for good reasons. On Cummings the piece in the Guardian linked to downthread is truly superb. Not only is it genuinely interesting, it is an excellent piece of prose: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/06/inside-the-mind-of-dominic-cummings-brexit-boris-johnson-conservatives
  • Options

The trophy will be ppesented at the last home game of the season, assuming we win the Premier League.

So it'll be the Chelsea home game, and I'll be there.

I should be at Goodison & Etihad as well.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Poor junior minister who’s got the unenviable job of reading the Budget speech out today, after her boss screwed up in the most fantastic way possible.
    Yes. She was born in 1990 (should she not still be at school?) She has quite an impressive academic record but I was genuinely unaware of her existence until this morning.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Disgraceful

Leading vexillologists disagree.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jph1l

The important matter is flying the Union Flag today for the Queen's Accession in 1952.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Labour should invite council leaders to attend its shadow cabinet as it tries to rebuild the party following the general election, leadership contender Lisa Nandy has said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/06/council-chiefs-deserve-role-in-labour-shadow-cabinet-says-lisa-nandy

I see what she is trying to achieve, but it is a bit these ideas of inviting a load of shop floor workers into board meetings. You won't get what needs to be done, as Bob from the bolts department wants to raise issues like the bogs being blocked when the board are meeting to discuss the high level corporate, financial and strategic issues, which Bob isn't trained in.

Given the conveyor belt from councillor/charity worker to MP that lack of wider perspective is arguably already in the system.
  • Options

The trophy will be ppesented at the last home game of the season, assuming we win the Premier League.

I hope you're not counting on the Chelsea game being Saturday 2nd May.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

Where's the slur? She says it herself in the link I provide; she used to go to Paddington (not Baker St) and collect the rents of a Saturday.

Still smarting after you misinterpreted my comments about Muslims the other day, and looking for an equaliser... I didn't think you'd be ready to leave it yet to be fair.

No funnily enough it's the other way round. This time you have it right or at least as right as makes no difference.

The other day you said, clearly, that you thought that Muslims should be controlled and then had to issue a clarification that of course that was not what you meant. Although it is what you said.

The slur? That it implied she was a child of huge privilege while espousing Labour values. I yield to no one in my identification of Diane Abbott as a hypocrite but had we not found out that they owned and lived in a house of which all but one room was let out and then managed to buy a second house while keeping the first one, we might have got the impression from your post that her father presided over a property empire and she was his gofer.

But as I said, this time the substance of your post was about right.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    kinabalu said:

She gets the respect that she deserves.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I think I've pretty much factored that match kicking off at 1.30pm/2pm on the Sunday so Sky can show the ceremony.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Great header, @GreenMachine. Good luck getting any comments on Ireland while the American fiasco unfolds.

True, lol.
    @Thegreenmachine, great write up , just pity it is on so early and amid all the bollox from USA, deserves much better attention.
    Budget day in Scotland today I understand.

What do you think the Finance Secretary is going to say? ;)
    Likely to be his last speech , given the revelations. If even a smidgen of what the SUN says is true he is finished. He should be gone this morning unless he can prove allegations are totally false.
    Well said.....unlike some other Nats!

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1225312942125613056?s=20
    Just amazed they have not announced he is at least suspended already.
    An unfortunate clique in the upper echelons of SNP at present.
    Part of the problem is that the boy is 16 - so no crime committed? And, after all, doesn't the SNP support votes at 16 etc.?
    I'm sure that will make it all OK and go away then (!)
    Well, obviously not. The SNP really need him to resign. If they sack him they'll be asked awkward questions about the age of consent.
    Nothing awkward about age of consent, it is 16. Fact he is 40+ and chasing people nearly a third of his age, especially given his high profile position , is the issue.
    And very few people outside of stonewall, no matter how pro liberal they are on gay rights is comfortable with a predatorial older man pursuing a heterosexual very young man for the purposes of buggery.
    Predatory, what do you know about the Finance Secretary's sexual habits or intentions, and why do you think people within stonewall are more tolerant of sexual predation than people outside it?
    It is widely known, ie public, that he is homosexual. Never seen any mention re any of the other points.
    Homosexual does not imply a penchant for "buggery."
    I never intimated that it did
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hmm.

I don't think 16 year olds should have the vote.

But if that's deemed to be the age of majority (including consent) isn't it incongruous to then condemn someone for showing interest in someone of that age? You can't be both a helpless child and a full-grown adult capable of deciding who governs a country.

[Reminds me a bit of Greta Thunberg, who, apparently, is simultaneously the font of wisdom and unassailable because she's just a girl and can't be picked on].

What's common to both points of view?

That her views are right and she shouldn't be challenged. In fact, that's really at its core because if she were a very intelligent and inspiring adult (aged 35, say) then the innocence of youth wouldn't apply and it would be harder to shut down opposing arguments.

Greta is popular precisely because she represents the unassailability of the point of view that her supporters want to engender.

They can't believe their luck in having her.
    In her home country the far-right are leading the polls on almost 30%. Woke-ism isn't exactly proving popular with voters, both in Sweden and elsewhere.
    I don’t think the trendy Left have worked out yet that Woke-ism feeds the far right.

Perhaps they like it too. They both secretly like to feed off each other, whilst the rest of us suffer.

A true centrist revival would understand this and nullify it.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

No funnily enough it's the other way round. This time you have it right or at least as right as makes no difference.

The other day you said, clearly, that you thought that Muslims should be controlled and then had to issue a clarification that of course that was not what you meant. Although it is what you said.

The slur? That it implied she was a child of huge privilege while espousing Labour values. I yield to no one in my identification of Diane Abbott as a hypocrite but had we not found out that they owned and lived in a house of which all but one room was let out and then managed to buy a second house while keeping the first one, we might have got the impression from your post that her father presided over a property empire and she was his gofer.

But as I said, this time the substance of your post was about right.
    Privately owning a home and renting out a second in the 1960s was privileged I would say, at a time when most working class people lived in council houses.

The other day I said "until they have control" meaning "until they have control" - you misinterpreted it as "until they are under control", because you prejudiced my post as being offensive to muslims and wanted to virtue signal. Oh well, it happens, people are desperate to win arguments and unable to admit mistakes on here, I dont mind.

• Options

I'm jealous. Have you got tickets to the Palace home game too? That one could be the critical one too.

If I was to guess I'd say there's about a 30% chance it will all be official by the end of the Goodison match (decent chance City drop points away to Leicester), 50% chance it will be the Palace home game, 15% chance Etihad and a 5% chance either before Goodison [total City collapse] or after Etihad.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I think I've pretty much factored that match kicking off at 1.30pm/2pm on the Sunday so Sky can show the ceremony.
    I wouldn't rule out Monday night.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yes. She was born in 1990 (should she not still be at school?) She has quite an impressive academic record but I was genuinely unaware of her existence until this morning.
    29/30 year olds should be at school?
  • Options

I'm jealous. Have you got tickets to the Palace home game too? That one could be the critical one too.

If I was to guess I'd say there's about a 30% chance it will all be official by the end of the Goodison match (decent chance City drop points away to Leicester), 50% chance it will be the Palace home game, 15% chance Etihad and a 5% chance either before Goodison [total City collapse] or after Etihad.
    Depends on the prices of the corporate hospitality tickets for the Palace match.

I'm fortunate I know an Evertonian season ticket holder who is giving me his ticket as the thought of seeing Liverpool win the title at Goodison will ruin football forever for him.

I know a lot of Citeh fans (both season ticket going fans and employees of the club) who have smuggled me in the past.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Won a place at Cambridge back before the days of positive discrimination.

Smashed the poverty of expectations to become the first ever black female MP.

Great track record on civil liberties.

30 years of service to parliament and the Labour Party.

All in spite of poor health. All of it against the odds.

An icon.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I wouldn't rule out Monday night.
    I can live with that.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

Depends on the prices of the corporate hospitality tickets for the Palace match.

I'm fortunate I know an Evertonian season ticket holder who is giving me his ticket as the thought of seeing Liverpool win the title at Goodison will ruin football forever for him.

I know a lot of Citeh fans (both season ticket going fans and employees of the club) who have smuggled me in the past.
    I'm going to guess the Palace hospitality tickets won't be going cheap! As it stands that will be the decider, though only if this City squad can beat Leicester away.

But either way that Palace game is likely to be either the decider or the first home game after its official.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Great header, @GreenMachine. Good luck getting any comments on Ireland while the American fiasco unfolds.

True, lol.
    @Thegreenmachine, great write up , just pity it is on so early and amid all the bollox from USA, deserves much better attention.
    Budget day in Scotland today I understand.

What do you think the Finance Secretary is going to say? ;)
    Likely to be his last speech , given the revelations. If even a smidgen of what the SUN says is true he is finished. He should be gone this morning unless he can prove allegations are totally false.
    Well said.....unlike some other Nats!

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1225312942125613056?s=20
    Just amazed they have not announced he is at least suspended already.
    An unfortunate clique in the upper echelons of SNP at present.
    Part of the problem is that the boy is 16 - so no crime committed? And, after all, doesn't the SNP support votes at 16 etc.?
    I'm sure that will make it all OK and go away then (!)
    Well, obviously not. The SNP really need him to resign. If they sack him they'll be asked awkward questions about the age of consent.
    Nothing awkward about age of consent, it is 16. Fact he is 40+ and chasing people nearly a third of his age, especially given his high profile position , is the issue.
    And very few people outside of stonewall, no matter how pro liberal they are on gay rights is comfortable with a predatorial older man pursuing a heterosexual very young man for the purposes of buggery.
    Predatory, what do you know about the Finance Secretary's sexual habits or intentions, and why do you think people within stonewall are more tolerant of sexual predation than people outside it?
    It is widely known, ie public, that he is homosexual. Never seen any mention re any of the other points.
    Homosexual does not imply a penchant for "buggery."
    I never intimated that it did
    I know you didn't.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:
    I'm just getting old. 1990 seems very recent to me.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

Her main achievement is becoming a byword for innumeracy and hypocrisy, not to mention such an electoral liability that the 2019 Labour GE campaign - the 2019 Labour GE campaign (!) - preferred to keep the Shadow Home Secretary out of sight rather than risk exposing her to the public.

That was probably the best decision Labour made this time - it may have stopped them losing another dozen seats...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

rpjs said:

Pennsylvania was the big one. A huge amount of Philadelphia votes came in days late dramatically lowering the gap between Trump and Clinton.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:
    In 1990 I was still in prep school.

I feel young. Just about.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

JohnO said:

kinabalu said:

No funnily enough it's the other way round. ut right.
    Privately owning a home and renting out a second in the 1960s was privileged I would say, at a time when most working class people lived in council houses.

The other day I said "until they have control" meaning "until they have control" - you misinterpreted it as "until they are under control", because you prejudiced my post as being offensive to muslims and wanted to virtue signal. Oh well, it happens, people are desperate to win arguments and unable to admit mistakes on here, I dont mind.

This is what you wrote:

"A lot less immigration 40 odd years ago was the solution. I don't think there is one now really, the number of muslims will increase and, until they have some sort of official control, so will the radicals, so as @Cyclefree it is a counsel of despair."

It reads a lot better if you leave out words and don't repeat the entire quote, on that I do agree.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:
    In 1990 I was still in prep school.

I feel young. Just about.
    In 1990 had a 14 year old girlfriend, does that retrospectively make me a nonsecase?
This discussion has been closed.