Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another week starts and Thornberry continues to struggle findi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another week starts and Thornberry continues to struggle finding CLPs to back her

As can be seen the shadow foreign secretary, Emily Thornberry, continues to find the going tough in her effort to get on the members’ ballot. She needs 33 constituency parties but following her early rush she remains stuck on three. .

Read the full story here

Comments

• Poor Lady Nugee.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,094
    edited January 2020
    Is it notable that all three of Thornberry's nominations are in the south?

ETA: (Whereas things otherwise look fairly even across the split of the Wash->Bristol channel line)
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    mwadams said:

Is it notable that all three of Nandy's nominations are in the south?

Don't you mean Thornberry's?
  • I do hope she becomes leader, because I love using this picture in thread headers.

• AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2020
    mwadams said:

Is it notable that all three of Thornberry's nominations are in the south?

ETA: (Whereas things otherwise look fairly even across the split of the Wash->Bristol channel line)

It might be, but 3 just isn't enough of a sample to me.
    eek said:

mwadams said:

Is it notable that all three of Nandy's nominations are in the south?

Don't you mean Thornberry's?
    Fixed. The chair/computer interface is malfunctioning today.
  • It's the EU we have a problem with, we LURVE Europe (except for their stinking Kraut and Frog wine naturally).

https://twitter.com/Germans4indyref/status/1221790508533583873?s=20
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    FPT - and because I am being mischievous:-

Anyway just to liven things up....

Suppose Trump tells Boris, either directly or via the spooks, that if he gives the nod to Huawei, the US will withdraw all intelligence co-operation with Britain ..... No more British Eyes in the Five Eyes etc.

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?
  • I do hope she becomes leader, because I love using this picture in thread headers.

How about this one?

• Cyclefree said:

Suppose Trump tells Boris, either directly or via the spooks, that if he gives the nod to Huawei, the US will withdraw all intelligence co-operation with Britain ..... No more British Eyes in the Five Eyes etc.

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

FPT

So the story over the weekend I read was that Boris Johnson made a manifesto commitment to ensure a proper 5G network in this Parliament and he (or rather Dom) do not want to break a manifesto pledge because that's other politicians do.

By saying no to Huawei breaks that manifesto pledge, so shamefully Boris Johnson is placing politics above national security.

How about this one?

That doesn't work as a picture but as a gif.

The PB style guide suggest avoiding the use of gifs.
    Is that yellow blob at the very top Orkney? I ask as it appears separate to Shetland despite (A) both island groups being one Westminster constituency, and (B) the Labour party being as popular there as Piers Morgan at Meghan's birthday party.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited January 2020

It's the EU we have a problem with, we LURVE Europe (except for their stinking Kraut and Frog wine naturally).

With Eastern Europeans cleaning up after!
  • FPT
    Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

There are very few heads of government attending (No Macron, Merkel, the US has sent the Secretary to the Treasury) - there are more heads of State (Austria, Belgium, Germany, Ireland) or their delegates (Norway, Sweden) - so in our case sending the 72 year old wife of the heir to the throne to Poland in a freezing January is not too shabby, especially since the 93 year old head of state is laid up with a cold - many counties have just sent ambassadors:

http://auschwitz.org/en/state-delegations/

That's not the point. The UK was in the forefront of defeating the Nazis ans while we didn't liberate Auschwitz-Birkenau directly we were part of the alliance that did.

It's perfectly possible to send both a royal and a Government representative - the Norwegians have so we could have.

In my view, we should have - I find the poor representation from BOTH the USA and Russia strange.

It's a place where the best and worst of humanity co-existed - it must never be forgotten or relegated.
    I would have hoped that, especially after Boris’s rather good statement on Hanukkah, a Government Minister could have bothered to turn up to show how seriously this country takes such matters.
    Why are you trying to score political points over a somber state occassion?

The UK has sent an apolitical state rather than political representative as have many other nations including notably Germany, Poland and more.

There are issues to criticise the government over, especially 5G, but a state occassion having a state rather than government representative representing the country just like Germany, Poland etc are doing seems an odd battle to choose.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,963

I do hope she becomes leader, because I love using this picture in thread headers.

How about this one?

Is that what's known as a politician "pressing the flesh"?

How about this one?

That doesn't work as a picture but as a gif.

The PB style guide suggest avoiding the use of gifs.
    Surely this is worthy as an exception? 😇
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

FPT

So the story over the weekend I read was that Boris Johnson made a manifesto commitment to ensure a proper 5G network in this Parliament and he (or rather Dom) do not want to break a manifesto pledge because that's other politicians do.

By saying no to Huawei breaks that manifesto pledge, so shamefully Boris Johnson is placing politics above national security.
    Christ, you throw the word “shameful” around like confetti. Presumably You’d agree that shame also applies to nuclear projects and Chinese involvement.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited January 2020
    It was posted yesterday that Scottish CLPs are done on Scottish Parliament constituencies - so Orkney is separate from Shetland.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

Its a tricky one. Trump is trying to force us to use US kit and IT which is more expensive and not in such an advanced stage of preparation. But the intelligence sharing is really important to us, not least in any negotiations with the EU re security.
  • matt said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

FPT

Christ, you throw the word “shameful” around like confetti. Presumably You’d agree that shame also applies to nuclear projects and Chinese involvement.
    The technological architecture in those projects doesn’t see such a heavy Chinese footprint.

I think @MaxPB can explain better than I ever could why allowing Huawei into our core 5G network is such a bad idea.

FPT

Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

There are very few heads of government attending (No Macron, Merkel, the US has sent the Secretary to the Treasury) - there are more heads of State (Austria, Belgium, Germany, Ireland) or their delegates (Norway, Sweden) - so in our case sending the 72 year old wife of the heir to the throne to Poland in a freezing January is not too shabby, especially since the 93 year old head of state is laid up with a cold - many counties have just sent ambassadors:

That's not the point. The UK was in the forefront of defeating the Nazis ans while we didn't liberate Auschwitz-Birkenau directly we were part of the alliance that did.

It's perfectly possible to send both a royal and a Government representative - the Norwegians have so we could have.

In my view, we should have - I find the poor representation from BOTH the USA and Russia strange.

It's a place where the best and worst of humanity co-existed - it must never be forgotten or relegated.
    I would have hoped that, especially after Boris’s rather good statement on Hanukkah, a Government Minister could have bothered to turn up to show how seriously this country takes such matters.

The UK has sent an apolitical state rather than political representative as have many other nations including notably Germany, Poland and more.

There are issues to criticise the government over, especially 5G, but a state occassion having a state rather than government representative representing the country just like Germany, Poland etc are doing seems an odd battle to choose.
    It’s not a political point. I just think that someone from the government should have gone to what is likely to be the last such occasion involving survivors. The regrowth of anti-semitism is one of the worst things to have happened in recent years and I would have liked the British government to have shown its commitment to fighting it by sending someone senior to such an occasion. Etiquette seems somewhat unimportant to me.

Anyway I will leave it there.
  • Anorak said:

Is that yellow blob at the very top Orkney? I ask as it appears separate to Shetland despite (A) both island groups being one Westminster constituency, and (B) the Labour party being as popular there as Piers Morgan at Meghan's birthday party.

A poster yesterday indicated that Scottish CLPs were based on Holyrood constituencies which would mean separate CLPs for Shetland & Orkney. Thinking about it O&S have a shitload of representation going on.

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

FPT

The technological architecture in those projects doesn’t see such a heavy Chinese footprint.

I think @MaxPB can explain better than I ever could why allowing Huawei into our core 5G network is such a bad idea.
    As I understand it, the distinction between “core” and “non-core” is meaningless when it comes to 5G. Perhaps someone with expert knowledge on this can opine.

It sounds to me like a fudge designed to sound reassuring to those who don’t really understand the technicalities.
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

Its a tricky one. Trump is trying to force us to use US kit and IT which is more expensive and not in such an advanced stage of preparation. But the intelligence sharing is really important to us, not least in any negotiations with the EU re security.
    It’s not just the intelligence-sharing which matters. It’s whether it makes sense for the security of all of us in this country to put such a vital piece of national infrastructure in the hands of the Chinese Communist party. They are not our friends.
  • Cyclefree said:

FPT

Cyclefree said:

stodge said:

It’s not a political point. I just think that someone from the government should have gone to what is likely to be the last such occasion involving survivors. The regrowth of anti-semitism is one of the worst things to have happened in recent years and I would have liked the British government to have shown its commitment to fighting it by sending someone senior to such an occasion. Etiquette seems somewhat unimportant to me.

Anyway I will leave it there.
    Surely Her Majesty the Queen [or since she's 93 the Duchess as her representative] is "someone senior" though?

I agree that it would be good to see government ministers there, from Merkel down - if any nation should send their head of government it is surely Germany - but if they didn't want it to be a political event I can understand why state representatives have gone rather than political ones.
    edited January 2020

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

FPT

He can’t. There’s a lot of high level “Chinese can’t be trusted stuff”. The people who really know aren’t speaking but that leaves a void for the outraged but ill-informed to fill. And fill it they have.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Not posting much (actually being vaguely productive), but I suspect the PM will confirm his status as an idiot by backing a Chinese firm for 5G.
  • I'm uninformed on 5G but my gut says to avoid the Chinese. But who else can do it if not them?
  • Scotland should lead the UK not leave it, part 272.

https://twitter.com/PeatWorrier/status/1221804274709037056?s=20

Not posting much (actually being vaguely productive), but I suspect the PM will confirm his status as an idiot by backing a Chinese firm for 5G.

Could you explain why the Chinese cannot be contracted? Precisely please and with specific reference to the technological aspects which concern you, and why.
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

It’s not just the intelligence-sharing which matters. It’s whether it makes sense for the security of all of us in this country to put such a vital piece of national infrastructure in the hands of the Chinese Communist party. They are not our friends.
    And the Americans are? I don't know enough about it to be honest but the American position looks very like blackmail to me. Is that what friends do?

I'm uninformed on 5G but my gut says to avoid the Chinese. But who else can do it if not them?

For what it’s worth, I’ve worked for a Chinese SOE and a Chinese private sector company in the last 5 years. I wouldn’t trust them on a gut feeling. But equally I wouldn’t trust a French, German or US company on the same gut feeling. Gut isn’t enough.
  • matt said:

Could you explain why the Chinese cannot be contracted? Precisely please and with specific reference to the technological aspects which concern you, and why.
    Because they have form.

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

The attack by Chinese spies reached almost 30 U.S. companies, including Amazon and Apple, by compromising America’s technology supply chain, according to extensive interviews with government and corporate sources.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Matt, I'm not asserting Huawei are technologically incapable, I'm stating the fact that the Chinese Government can and will use its authority to command Huawei as it wishes.

My objection is based on political reality, not technical proficiency.

Mr. Thompson, the US and Australia have both shunned Huawei. If others can provide 5G for them, then they can do so for us.
  • As someone who uses around 300GB a month on my mobile I’d really love 5G ASAP but I’m prepared to wait for someone other than Huawei.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    I'm bloody loving my Xiaomi Pocofone F1 in case anyone's interested. Yes they may be tracking me everywhere I go, listening to everything I say and perhaps even posting on PB in my name, but then so are in all probability Google and what3words.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    matt said:

Philip_Thompson (below) says: "my gut says to avoid the Chinese".

That`s good enough for me.
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

I suspect that ship has sailed, though. The question for me is whether there is an increased risk? And to understand why we have been told that UK intelligence services don't believe that there is (within operational constraints).
    MikeL said:

It was posted yesterday that Scottish CLPs are done on Scottish Parliament constituencies - so Orkney is separate from Shetland.

Cheers.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Don’t really understand why some see the Huawei decision as a “big test” for Johnson. It’s not exactly a 90mph Yorker. It’s an outside the line slow ball, that Boycott would’ve padded away all day long.

JUST SAY NO, quit wasting everyone’s time and stop testing the patience of our allies (and concerned British citizens).

As someone who uses around 300GB a month on my mobile I’d really love 5G ASAP but I’m prepared to wait for someone other than Huawei.

My god that's a lot of porn.

matt said:

Could you explain why the Chinese cannot be contracted? Precisely please and with specific reference to the technologica which concern you, and why.
    Because they have form.

The attack by Chinese spies reached almost 30 U.S. companies, including Amazon and Apple, by compromising America’s technology supply chain, according to extensive interviews with government and corporate sources.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies
    I confess that I’d forgotten about that but corporate America has long since moved to reliance on overseas assembly and, in many cases, design. We have greater oversight of Huawei through the Oxfordshire facility than any equivalent manufacturer - certainly any from the US where I would be certain that the NSA will have intergrated backdoors. You will, no doubt, point out the flaws (you can read the annual reports online) but the direction of travel is only one way.

I’m not suggesting that there is an easy answer. I am saying throwing the word “shameful” around over anything that a writer disagrees with debases that word.

• Anorak said:

As someone who uses around 300GB a month on my mobile I’d really love 5G ASAP but I’m prepared to wait for someone other than Huawei.

You sometimes you get told some statistics that you never forget.

Pornhub has 11 petabytes of Porn which equates to 7,000 years worth of viewing porn.
    If WeChat goes down and there’s a lot of patriotic music on TV you can assume that the country’s gone World War Z. Until then, the Chinese government should just enjoy the increased organ harvesting opportunities.
  • Anorak said:

Pornhub has 11 petabytes of Porn which equates to 7,000 years worth of viewing porn.
    I'm sure you're not a chap who would refuse a challenge.
  • Anorak said:

I'm sure you're not a chap who would refuse a challenge.
    I suspect anyone who attempted to watch the entirety of PornHub would end up like Dave the Duck.

Duck Has So Much Sex That His Penis Rots Off :(

Even with his penis surgically removed, Dave the duck is still trying to get it on.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/a30183518/horny-duck/
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    edited January 2020

Deleted for lack or originality.
  • isam said:

It's the EU we have a problem with, we LURVE Europe (except for their stinking Kraut and Frog wine naturally).

What a complete twat. I really do wonder what has happened to the once great Conservative Party. It has been taken over by morons that should be more at home in the BNP. They are too lacking in self awareness to realise how insanely thick they look.

Anorak said:

But about a fortnight to watch everything that is genuinely erotic.....
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

I have no brief to speak for Andrew Rosindell, but surely there's a significant difference between focusing on British produce because it's appropriate to the occasion, and BANNING FRENCH AND GERMAN WINE!!1!!

Does Bavaria's Oktoberfest BAN FOREIGN BEER? Do most Burns Night celebrations BAN ALL NON-SCOTTISH LIQUOR?
  • It's the EU we have a problem with, we LURVE Europe (except for their stinking Kraut and Frog wine naturally).

I have no brief to speak for Andrew Rosindell, but surely there's a significant difference between focusing on British produce because it's appropriate to the occasion, and BANNING FRENCH AND GERMAN WINE!!1!!

Does Bavaria's Oktoberfest BAN FOREIGN BEER? Do most Burns Night celebrations BAN ALL NON-SCOTTISH LIQUOR?
    An heroic effort to pretend that stating 'nothing French or German but everything British and Commonwealth' is not banning.

I see that as I suspected you've not really engaged with local custom if you think any type of drink would be proscribed at a Burns night, or indeed at any Scottish alcohol infused event.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    On reflection, I think our biggest mistake during the election campaign was not giving sufficient focus to the Israel-Palestine question.
  • This is the kind of bullshit article put out by the media that brings proper sober analysis of the subject into disrepute. This to do with councils not wanting to spend money on sea defences and has sweet FA to do with climate change. There has been negligible eustatic sea level rise :

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/doomed-seaside-village-to-become-first-in-uk-to-be-made-extinct-by-sea/ar-BBZmWwf?ocid=spartanntp

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

matt said:

Because they have form.

Fascinating read, thanks.
    Anorak said:

You sure it wasn't pictures of pineapple pizzas?
  • RobD said:

matt said:

Because they have form.

I'm calling that as fake news...

An heroic effort to pretend that stating 'nothing French or German but everything British and Commonwealth' is not banning.

I see that as I suspected you've not really engaged with local custom if you think any type of drink would be proscribed at a Burns night, or indeed at any Scottish alcohol infused event.
    He is right though in his statement that he has no brief to speak for this dipshit that is an embarrassment to his country, but nonetheless, and in spite of not having said brief, "Luckyguy1983" attempts to defend him with an argument so tenuous and intellectually vacuous that is bad even by the standards of the average Brexit apologist.
  • This is the kind of bullshit article put out by the media that brings proper sober analysis of the subject into disrepute. This to do with councils not wanting to spend money on sea defences and has sweet FA to do with climate change. There has been negligible eustatic sea level rise :

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/doomed-seaside-village-to-become-first-in-uk-to-be-made-extinct-by-sea/ar-BBZmWwf?ocid=spartanntp

Also... there's no connection between inland (fluvial) flooding in the UK as a result of climate change either...

RobD said:

matt said:

Because they have form.

What gave you that impression? I've not read anything else about it so I am none the wiser.
  • isam said:

What a complete twat. I really do wonder what has happened to the once great Conservative Party. It has been taken over by morons that should be more at home in the BNP. They are too lacking in self awareness to realise how insanely thick they look.
    Childish attitude by some of the ERG extremes. Personally I drink Australian, Kiwi, or Chile wines but that is not some anti EU plot, I just prefer them
  • isam said:
    I love how people who have got themselves into positions of authority presents themselves as oppressed.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745

This is the kind of bullshit article put out by the media that brings proper sober analysis of the subject into disrepute. This to do with councils not wanting to spend money on sea defences and has sweet FA to do with climate change. There has been negligible eustatic sea level rise :

There are three aspects to this in my humble opinion.

First, the British coastline has changed radically over the centuries - Rye was once on the coast, now it is well inland. Hayle was once a major port until the silt took over. The constant is change - if the direction of travel is via erosion and areas in Norfolk, Lincolnshire and NE Wales will be lost, so be it. It's happened before.

Second, it's not just about climate change but a re-thinking of coastal defence and a response to erosion. Throwing up walls to defend every inch of coast is impractical - indeed, allowing the sea to re-enter some marshland may be a good idea. It's the thinking in the Thames Estuary - allow the sea to inundate the marshy lands in the Blackwater and Crouch estuaries and alleviate the pressure on the Thames itself.

Third, the problem is people live there and if it becomes marginal to remain in a place other parts of the economy will respond accordingly and in effect force people to move - that's part of the capitalist system. Insurance is just one thing - other services will withdraw if it looks likely your home and your road will be in the sea in 20-30 years. We've seen quite dramatic and sudden erosion around Britain's coastline in recent years - it's quite credible to argue warmer seas encourage more violent storms which increase erosion.
  • NorthernPowerhouseNorthernPowerhouse Posts: 557
    edited January 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

matt said:

Because they have form.

What gave you that impression? I've not read anything else about it so I am none the wiser.
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/04/editorial-a-year-later-bloomberg-silently-stands-by-its-big-hack-icloud-spy-chip-story

edit: it sounds very rude and aggressive to just shout fake news. It's one of those things at the time didnt sound right and a while later Apple, who took a forensic dismantling of their systems failed to find anything.
  • isam said:

Childish attitude by some of the ERG extremes. Personally I drink Australian, Kiwi, or Chile wines but that is not some anti EU plot, I just prefer them
    Many of which are perfectly fine, some excellent. To cut oneself off from French wine or food is self harm, and is culturally cretinous equivalent to refusing to listen to continental composers . Actually, very similar to Brexit.
  • isam said:

100% agreed. I prefer New World wines, especially on a like-for-like price. Not sure why it is, but it works for me.
  • isam said:

Many of which are perfectly fine, some excellent. To cut oneself off from French wine or food is self harm, and is culturally cretinous equivalent to refusing to listen to continental composers . Actually, very similar to Brexit.
    French cheese with Australian wine . . . 😋
  • isam said:

Not if you do not like French food or wine.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,237

...surely there's a significant difference between focusing on British produce because it's appropriate to the occasion, and BANNING FRENCH AND GERMAN WINE!!1!!...

I should imagine that the diagnostic test to be applied for your significant difference would go like this.

"Hi! I have been told your event bans French and German wines. Are French and German wines:
    i) banned, or
    ii) not banned?"

Telling you why it happened is not the same as telling you it isn't happening. Explanation isn't contradiction.

• stodge said:

This is the kind of bullshit article put out by the media that brings proper sober analysis of the subject into disrepute. This to do with councils not wanting to spend money on sea defences and has sweet FA to do with climate change. There has been negligible eustatic sea level rise :

There are three aspects to this in my humble opinion.

First, the British coastline has changed radically over the centuries - Rye was once on the coast, now it is well inland. Hayle was once a major port until the silt took over. The constant is change - if the direction of travel is via erosion and areas in Norfolk, Lincolnshire and NE Wales will be lost, so be it. It's happened before.

Second, it's not just about climate change but a re-thinking of coastal defence and a response to erosion. Throwing up walls to defend every inch of coast is impractical - indeed, allowing the sea to re-enter some marshland may be a good idea. It's the thinking in the Thames Estuary - allow the sea to inundate the marshy lands in the Blackwater and Crouch estuaries and alleviate the pressure on the Thames itself.

Third, the problem is people live there and if it becomes marginal to remain in a place other parts of the economy will respond accordingly and in effect force people to move - that's part of the capitalist system. Insurance is just one thing - other services will withdraw if it looks likely your home and your road will be in the sea in 20-30 years. We've seen quite dramatic and sudden erosion around Britain's coastline in recent years - it's quite credible to argue warmer seas encourage more violent storms which increase erosion.
    My point is that it isn't about climate change at all. That is used as an excuse that turns climate science into politics at best and pseudoscience at worst. These decisions are ruthlessly economic, and then the media are gullible enough to resort to hyperbole about climate change to do the job of the council's bean counters for them. Sloppy poor journalism.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited January 2020
    Scotland's leading holocaust denier conducting the Brexit celebrations up here. I wonder what drinks he'll be banning? Anything kosher I'd guess.

https://twitter.com/UKaForceForGood/status/1221524724418670593?s=20
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,038
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

And the Americans are? I don't know enough about it to be honest but the American position looks very like blackmail to me. Is that what friends do?
    The Americans don't represent a national security threat to us: we already share our nuclear missiles with them for a start. I'd imagine their interests would be purely commercial.

It's a shame there's no serious UK alternative really. Gordon Brown raised over £20 billion in selling 3G licences back in 2000 when companies like Vodafone and Orange were at the head of pack.

@malcolmg , @Luckyguy1983 raises an interesting point. Do Burns Night celebrations actually ban non-Scottish liquor?

I had a great Burns night supper on Saturday, where I drunk Talisker and toasted the demise of the SNP.

Anorak said:

Is that's what tabs are for?
  • isam said:

If you don't like French wine you either haven't sampled the right ones or you don't like wine at all. The same applies to French food. I accept that it is subjective to a small extent.

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

The Americans don't represent a national security threat to us: we already share our nuclear missiles with them for a start. I'd imagine their interests would be purely commercial.

It's a shame there's no serious UK alternative really. Gordon Brown raised over £20 billion in selling 3G licences back in 2000 when companies like Vodafone and Orange were at the head of pack.
    Aren’t you confusing spectrum allocation and hardware supplier there?
  • isam said:

If you don't like French wine you either haven't sampled the right ones or you don't like wine at all. The same applies to French food. I accept that it is subjective to a small extent.
    I do like some French food but as I said my wine drinking, which is very modest, prefers Aus and Kiwi wines probably as I was introduced to them by my eldest son while he lived in Christchurch

But to be fair, it is subjective to most people but of course you have devotees on both the extremes of the argument who continue to act like children
    matt said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

What does Boris do?

What should Boris do?

Aren’t you confusing spectrum allocation and hardware supplier there?
    Possibly.
    Yes, Remain united are excitedly posting and re-posting this - naturally without bothering to check or read it first - and @CarlottaVance has already shown why it's bollocks.

London goes from strength to strength.
  • viewcode said:

@malcolmg , @Luckyguy1983 raises an interesting point. Do Burns Night celebrations actually ban non-Scottish liquor?
    I'm not an inveterate whisky drinker so at the last one I went to had IPA and an ok Rioja, with Highland Park for the toasts. The former were freely available.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

Actually I work in the Scotch whisky industry, and yes, I'd be upset if Burns wasn't toasted with Scotland's finest. You should be prouder of what your country produces.

RobD said:

RobD said:

matt said:

Because they have form.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/04/editorial-a-year-later-bloomberg-silently-stands-by-its-big-hack-icloud-spy-chip-story

edit: it sounds very rude and aggressive to just shout fake news. It's one of those things at the time didnt sound right and a while later Apple, who took a forensic dismantling of their systems failed to find anything.
    Thanks. Now I don’t know what to believe. :D
    RobD said:

Anorak said:

You sure it wasn't pictures of pineapple pizzas?
    TSE may well use those pictures of pineapple pizza in the same way as the pictures on pornhub.

Anorak said:

Thatcher porn is a pretty niche sub-genre, to be fair.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Yes, Remain united are excitedly posting and re-posting this - naturally without bothering to check or read it first - and @CarlottaVance has already shown why it's bollocks.

I hadn’t seen it had been previously posted so my bad.

However @CarlottaVance has not shown why its bollocks.

You leavers are not known for your fact checking so I guess it’s on brand.
    viewcode said:

In my experience its whisky for the toasts but for the rest of the night you drink what you want. A spicy red is particularly good with haggis.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745

My point is that it isn't about climate change at all. That is used as an excuse that turns climate science into politics at best and pseudoscience at worst. These decisions are ruthlessly economic, and then the media are gullible enough to resort to hyperbole about climate change to do the job of the council's bean counters for them. Sloppy poor journalism.

The point about "council bean counters" is a bit harsh. Local authorities have hard decisions to take on where to prioritise spending and for many adult social care and the care of vulnerable children eats up an increasingly large proportion. £120 million to defend one settlement with no guarantee defences will hold looks a poor allocation of resources.

The public abandoning of Fairbourne is having an immediate negative economic impact on the residents as the article suggests. That's the issue - how do you persuade organisations, institutions and individuals a place is still economically viable when you have publicly written it off?
  • Yes, Remain united are excitedly posting and re-posting this - naturally without bothering to check or read it first - and @CarlottaVance has already shown why it's bollocks.

So this was bollox? Well, if you say so.

'However Ms Melis suggested that Boris Johnson’s thumping general election victory last month, which has paved the way for the UK’s exit from the EU on Friday, could give London a boost.'
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,590
    RobD said:

RobD said:

matt said:

Because they have form.
    Supermicro did indeed call it out as fake news (though they would, of course):
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/13/tech-giants-us-chinese-spy-chips-bloomberg-supermicro-amazon-apple

No one is really sure:
    https://wccftech.com/supermicro-china-spy-chips-bloomberg-stock-price/

FWIW, it might be sensible to work our some compromise - install the Huawei kit in the short term, where there are no ready alternatives, and steadily replace it over time.
    Save everyone's face, and probably avoid much of the risk.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,590

Anorak said:

Is that's what tabs are for?
    Not if amputated...

isam said:

French cheese with Australian wine . . . 😋
    Try Ticklemore Cheese Shop in Totnes. Every cheese local to the SW. No need to go anywhere else!

Actually I work in the Scotch whisky industry, and yes, I'd be upset if Burns wasn't toasted with Scotland's finest. You should be prouder of what your country produces.
    But not the slightest shred of evidence that a single Burns supper has ever stipulated nothing but Scotch bevvy. As I said, not much local engagement.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,289
    edited January 2020
    Just dipping in here occasionally for the present...

Have we covered the latest Brexit debacle? :wink:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/27/brexit-50p-coin-boycott-philip-pullman-oxford-comma
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    Telegraph:

"Emily Thornberry praises Jeremy Corbyn for standing up to racism at Holocaust Memorial Day event
    The Labour leadership hopeful used her speech at a commemoration event at Islington Assembly Hall to praise Jeremy Corbyn for "always calling out those people who play the race card", according to reports.

The shadow foreign secretary apparently said that "Jeremy will always call out" those who play the "race card".

The Jewish Chronicle reports that Ms Thornberry also said it was important for "adults, especially the politicians amongst us" to learn the lessons of history."

Beyond satire.

Just dipping in here occasionally for the present...

Have we covered the latest Brexit debacle? :wink:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/27/brexit-50p-coin-boycott-philip-pullman-oxford-comma

Unknown. I "often" refuse to spend money with grammatical errors. If we define "often" as a synonym of "never", that is. :)
  • Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Anorak said:

Thatcher porn is a pretty niche sub-genre, to be fair.
    You're a disturbed individual, Mr Royale.

I now feel the urge to scrub out the inside of my skull with steel wool.
This discussion has been closed.