Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In spite of Trump’s impeachment problems punters give the Repu

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,635

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

I’m sure Greta could have generated way more publicity (and avoided a dozen people taking flights to support her boat), if she’d turned up at the NY conference via video link and had a real go at all the hypocrites who travel around the world going to these five-star all-expenses-paid climate change conferences.
    There are times when the only way to get things sorted is to be there in person.

Online communication works at times but it takes a lot of skill and effort to ensure everyone is up to date and it's not suitable for everything.
    Absolutely, in fact I’m working on a project right now that involves a fair amount of travel. Managing remote teams is difficult.

But this was a climate change conference, where everyone was standing up and saying we should fly less - when they’ve all arrived either on private planes or first class commercial.

Given how many other attendees were trying to latch on to Greta and her ‘movement’, perhaps the best thing she could have done was to have called them all out.

I still don’t understand why someone hasn’t organised one of these international conferences in association with a company like Cisco, as a demonstration of what high-end conference systems are now capable of doing. But those involved don’t want to do that, they enjoy the ‘networking’ aspects of these events far too much.
    Its like religion. It isn't about what works or doesn't work, but about preaching to others regardless of what you do yourself.

The British government has the best environment record of any government this country has ever had and one of the best in the entire world but you wouldn't know it listening to so-called "Greens".

Self denying ordinances or curtailing holidays (or even conferences) won't affect climate change. To stop climate change we don't need to stop flying, we need to develop clean alternatives. The solution to climate change is to find a way to switch our planes from fossil fuels to renewable energy, probably via hybrids, just as we're doing in vehicles.

And given vehicle emissions vast, vastly outstrip aerospace emissions we should in the short term be thinking about how to get everyone into electric vehicles on the roads while scientists and engineers are tasked with developing clean planes of the future.
    Science is the only possible way out.
    Having several billion less people on the planet would be useful.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

I was wondering why Brent North saw such a large swing to the Tories for a London seat. It is to do with the large Hindu electorate moving away from Labour.

http://www.britainelects.com/2020/01/23/previews-23-jan-2020/

Likewise with Harrow East:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrow_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    Sandpit said:

Absolutely, in fact I’m working on a project right now that involves a fair amount of travel. Managing remote teams is difficult.

But this was a climate change conference, where everyone was standing up and saying we should fly less - when they’ve all arrived either on private planes or first class commercial.

Given how many other attendees were trying to latch on to Greta and her ‘movement’, perhaps the best thing she could have done was to have called them all out by appearing remotely and going on about how much carbon their talking shop was generating.

I still don’t understand why someone hasn’t organised one of these international conferences in association with a company like Cisco, as a demonstration of what high-end conference systems are now capable of doing. But those involved don’t want to do that, they enjoy the ‘networking’ aspects of these events far too much.

Personally, I can't deal with networking. I like an agenda and goals. But accepting there's a place for it, Davos is the supreme networking event, and you really do need to turn up. I guess it's 90% self-congratulation and 10% useful connections, but that 10% is difficult to get another way.

I don't have a problem with managing remote teams remotely. I wouldn't remove travel entirely but you can certainly limit it a lot.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

What is this evidence that Pete Buttigieg is hated by minorities? He’s not their first choice but that seems to be largely because they don’t know him.

Because he polls always close to 0% with them.
    And the reason is that he is perceived to be a Mayor with a heavy hand towards minorities.
    It's his record that is sinking him.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/03/buttigieg-black-outreach-2020-074867

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mollyhensleyclancy/pete-buttigieg-black-lives-matter

https://prospect.org/civil-rights/african-americans-already-know-pete-buttigieg-very-well/
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Given how many other attendees were trying to latch on to Greta and her ‘movement’, perhaps the best thing she could have done was to have called them all out by appearing remotely and going on about how much carbon their talking shop was generating.

Personally, I can't deal with networking. I like an agenda and goals. But accepting there's a place for it, Davos is the supreme networking event, and you really do need to turn up. I guess it's 90% self-congratulation and 10% useful connections, but that 10% is difficult to get another way.

I don't have a problem with managing remote teams remotely. I wouldn't remove travel entirely but you can certainly limit it a lot.
    I used to organise conferences for the companies I represented. By far the biggest benefit of these conferences was the networking (according to them). As about 1/3 of them were based in London I thought why not hire a room above a pub one night for them to meet up. No agenda.

It was a flop. It appears networking is the biggest benefit, but there has to be another reason for attending. An actual agenda.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Yes - you can limit it but unless you are really organised and keep fully on top of things you will find yourself making very rapid visits to fight fires which should never have started.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

I’m sure Greta could have generated way more publicity (and avoided a dozen people taking flights to support her boat), if she’d turned up at the NY conference via video link and had a real go at all the hypocrites who travel around the world going to these five-star all-expenses-paid climate change conferences.
    There are times when the only way to get things sorted is to be there in person.

Online communication works at times but it takes a lot of skill and effort to ensure everyone is up to date and it's not suitable for everything.

Given how many other attendees were trying to latch on to Greta and her ‘movement’, perhaps the best thing she could have done was to have called them all out.

Its like religion. It isn't about what works or doesn't work, but about preaching to others regardless of what you do yourself.

The British government has the best environment record of any government this country has ever had and one of the best in the entire world but you wouldn't know it listening to so-called "Greens".

Self denying ordinances or curtailing holidays (or even conferences) won't affect climate change. To stop climate change we don't need to stop flying, we need to develop clean alternatives. The solution to climate change is to find a way to switch our planes from fossil fuels to renewable energy, probably via hybrids, just as we're doing in vehicles.

And given vehicle emissions vast, vastly outstrip aerospace emissions we should in the short term be thinking about how to get everyone into electric vehicles on the roads while scientists and engineers are tasked with developing clean planes of the future.
    Alright Adolf.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I used to organise conferences for the companies I represented. By far the biggest benefit of these conferences was the networking (according to them). As about 1/3 of them were based in London I thought why not hire a room above a pub one night for them to meet up. No agenda.

It was a flop. It appears networking is the biggest benefit, but there has to be another reason for attending. An actual agenda.

That might be because it's hard to get sign-off for the expenses if you have to admit you're only going for the booze-up.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Volunteers?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000

kjh said:

That might be because it's hard to get sign-off for the expenses if you have to admit you're only going for the booze-up.
    Spot on!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

kjh said:

+1 it's one thing to have a day off, another entirely to willingly lose your evening.

I do occasionally attend evening technical events but they are free, learning focused with networking as very much a sideline.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Climate change can't be that much of a problem if a bunch of bigwigs 'networking' is more important.

P. S I'm not saying teleconferencencing can stop all travel, or should, but clearly for many conference events the justification is now tenuous.
  • Options
    eek said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Yes - you can limit it but unless you are really organised and keep fully on top of things you will find yourself making very rapid visits to fight fires which should never have started.
    A lot of it is about setting expectations. This is how we do things around here. If you do that, people will adapt to that way of working. But I agree, there are situations where it is just more effective to meet in one location. Often it's where people haven't bought in.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Remote working requires everyone within an organisation to be on board with it culturally, basic things like timekeeping become quite important for conference calls and virtual meetings, so as not to keep people waiting.

My current project is with a startup, and as a major deadline approaches we are travelling more to make sure we keep on top of things - and yes, a great deal of useful conversation also happens in the pub, both one-on-ones and group management meetings.

Once we release the product and move to the improvement phase from development, we’ll be able to travel a lot less as things settle down into a routine - whereas today’s environment is very ad-hoc and dare I say a little chaotic at times.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited January 2020
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

I regularly teleconference with researchers across the planet. These conferences not only seem hypocritical and exclusive, they're a bit anachronistic given modern technology.

I find your naivety astonishing. Asking why the climate lobby fly first class is like asking why Stalin murdered millions of working class Russians.

Their cause is no more saving the environment than Stalin's was socialism.

In both cases its about the centralisation, control and rationing of power and resources. The cause is a flag of convenience.
  • Options

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:
    suitable for everything.

Alright Adolf.
    I wasn't suggesting putting them down, although the Golgafrinchan Ark B solution is appealing for its additional reasons, but we need to get our population growth under control and hopefully reversed. The conflict with economic growth is the problem though.

Let's face it even if we solve the climate change problem we still can't keep multiplying like we are and it would be more sustainable planet if there were a lot less of us, but we just can't help ourselves.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    nunu2 said:

Alistair said:
    The idea that Trump would easily crush Sanders looks to be complete rubbish.
    There was a wisespread view in the 1970s that Reagan was unelectable on account of being too rightwing.
  • Options

kjh said:

What expenses do you incur that you claim back when you go to the pub after work? I want to work there.
  • Options
    NorthernPowerhouseNorthernPowerhouse Posts: 557
    edited January 2020
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

kjh said:

Saw 2017 last night. Not sure what all the hype is about. It is a much poorer version of Saving Private Ryan.

The hype is the technique used - so it looks like a single continuous shot.
    I agree. The cinematography is fantastic, with the continuous shot in a way that makes you feel you are really walking in the footsteps of the characters. However, IMO the story is fine, but nothing more.

But then I didn't really think the Joker was that amazing, so what do I know.
    More than the Academy shortlisters...
    I loved the 1917 movie. I didnt know about the single shot before watching it, but had coincidentally watched Children of Men a couple of weeks ago which has some utterly amazing single shot segments. Breathtaking logistics required to do it.

About half an hour in i realised that there had been no cut in 1917. Of course this was an illusion and it's peppered with some clever wipes as the film is constantly travelling forward. A major undertaking and breathtaking to watch, after i noticed it.
  • Options

kjh said:

Spot on!
    See other answer. What expenses?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

I’m sure Greta climate change conferences.

Volunteers?
    The ones that aren't yet born. Of course that is also somewhat of a challenge.

But the knocking out of huge families is either selfish in the 1st world or due to poverty in the 3rd world.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

I regularly teleconference with researchers across the planet. These conferences not only seem hypocritical and exclusive, they're a bit anachronistic given modern technology.

I find your naivety astonishing. Asking why the climate lobby fly first class is like asking why Stalin murdered millions of working class Russians.

In both cases its about the centralisation, control and rationing of power and resources. The cause is a flag of convenience.
    Lots of truth in this, sadly. Loads of people would take the whole climate thing very seriously if it was patently and transparently obvious that elites and leaders were personally bearing the sacrifice and cost of the change they say is necessary. Until then.....

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited January 2020
    When I was working I used to vastly prefer written and telephone to flesh & blood when it came to comms. The reason being that I find people's faces and body language very distracting. I am far more able to concentrate on what other people are saying to me if I can't see them. This has become increasingly the case as I've got older.

Re Trump and the question as to whether it is right that he is being impeached - I am trying a thought experiment. Imagine we discover that Boris Johnson has been attempting to blackmail Mark Rutte to dig up dirt on Lisa Nandy. How do we feel about this and what is the upshot? Does it bring Johnson down? Or do we shrug it off and say it's just Boris being Boris? I know what I'd feel - he ought to resign immediately and possibly face charges - but I'm genuinely unsure whether this would be the majority view.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

eek said:

kjh said:

Saw 2017 last night. Not sure what all the hype is about. It is a much poorer version of Saving Private Ryan.

I agree. The cinematography is fantastic, with the continuous shot in a way that makes you feel you are really walking in the footsteps of the characters. However, IMO the story is fine, but nothing more.

I loved the 1917 movie. I didnt know about the single shot before watching it, but had coincidentally watched Children of Men a couple of weeks ago which has some utterly amazing single shot segments. Breathtaking logistics required to do it.

About half an hour in i realised that there had been no cut in 1917. Of course this was an illusion and it's peppered with some clever wipes as the film is constantly travelling forward. A major undertaking and breathtaking to watch, after i noticed it.
    So best director and cinematography rather than best picture?
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Volunteers?

But the knocking out of huge families is either selfish in the 1st world or due to poverty in the 3rd world.
    Thankfully, third world poverty and infant mortality are reducing at drastic rates. What we need now is to educate people that having two children per woman is enough.
  • Options
    eek said:

kjh said:

+1 it's one thing to have a day off, another entirely to willingly lose your evening.

I do occasionally attend evening technical events but they are free, learning focused with networking as very much a sideline.
    You lot are really harsh:

a) It was free. I paid for the room.

b) There were no expenses. At best a tube fare and your beer and I wouldn't expect anyone to claim that back.

c) People do go to the pub after work and chat so it seemed like a reasonable idea.

d) It appeared though people preferred an agenda and structured meeting beforehand and then were happy to network over a beer (even though that would have taken 1/2 a day out of their working day in that scenario). At the time I would normally get 80 - 100 to a meeting. For this I got about 20. Obviously I was expecting less as without the structured longer session I wasn't going to get those travelling longer distances, but I was hoping for say 40 - 50 and the feedback was they wanted an agenda and presentations (which is what they were used to).
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

Much as I agree with the video link point generally, given the amount of publicity the yacht generated I'm not sure I can agree with that part.
    The trouble is that publicity is about impact more than reach. An advert, say, can be widely seen and talked about without actually increasing sales.

A genuine and feasible step people can take to reduce the impact their meetings have on the environment is to make more use of video conferencing technology. Whereas turning up by yacht to meetings is very rarely a real option.

So a video link is less headline-grabbing but potentially more impactful. Turning up by yacht gets people talking, but doesn't actually offer something you or I could realistically do.

I'm not sure what the right answer is - just saying that I do slightly worry about some environmentalist stunts is that they make people say, "you might have a point but I don't know what you want me to do, and the thing you seem to be suggesting looks totally unrealistic."
  • Options

Nigelb said:

eek said:

kjh said:

Most certainly. Someone compared it unfavourably to saving private ryan, but it just wasnt that kind of blockbuster movie with a two dimensional hero. It was a good story well told with some really stunning techniques.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Volunteers?

Thankfully, third world poverty and infant mortality are reducing at drastic rates. What we need now is to educate people that having two children per woman is enough.
    I agree. I find it depressing that in several 1st world countries when there is a shortage of young and with a growing ageing population the simple solution is to encourage births. We have to think differently.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Volunteers?

I agree. I find it depressing that in several 1st world countries when there is a shortage of young and with a growing ageing population the simple solution is to encourage births. We have to think differently.
    Ending the ponzi scheme that is national insurance perhaps?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

On sober reflection would you agree that this is just a teeny bit overwrought?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Nigelb said:

eek said:

kjh said:

Roger Deakins (Dartmouth resident - well, Kingswear actually) must be nailed on for cinematography.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

eek said:

kjh said:

Damn, I am going to have to watch it again aren't I?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

When I was working I used to vastly prefer written and telephone to flesh & blood when it came to comms. The reason being that I find people's faces and body language very distracting. I am far more able to concentrate on what other people are saying to me if I can't see them. This has become increasingly the case as I've got older.

Re Trump and the question as to whether it is right that he is being impeached - I am trying a thought experiment. Imagine we discover that Boris Johnson has been attempting to blackmail Mark Rutte to dig up dirt on Lisa Nandy. How do we feel about this and what is the upshot? Does it bring Johnson down? Or do we shrug it off and say it's just Boris being Boris? I know what I'd feel - he ought to resign immediately and possibly face charges - but I'm genuinely unsure whether this would be the majority view.

From my view, Trump should never have been President in the first place, but given he was elected despite the clear signs of being unfit for office and given there is a mechanism to remove him through election that won't be any slower than impeachment, I suspect impeachment will be a substitute of process for substantive questions about his presidency.

The first part also applies to Johnson, but we have five long years ahead of us.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kinabalu said:

On this thread there are people openly discussing drastic human population reduction as a solution to our problems. presumably by incentive or....goodness, I don;t know what.

They are openly discussing measures that would mean massive changes to the lifestyles of ordinary people, again enforced or by dictat or incentive presumably, and again imposed without scrutiny or consent.

• Options

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

Much as I agree with the video link point generally, given the amount of publicity the yacht generated I'm not sure I can agree with that part.
    The trouble is that publicity is about impact more than reach. An advert, say, can be widely seen and talked about without actually increasing sales.

A genuine and feasible step people can take to reduce the impact their meetings have on the environment is to make more use of video conferencing technology. Whereas turning up by yacht to meetings is very rarely a real option.

So a video link is less headline-grabbing but potentially more impactful. Turning up by yacht gets people talking, but doesn't actually offer something you or I could realistically do.

I'm not sure what the right answer is - just saying that I do slightly worry about some environmentalist stunts is that they make people say, "you might have a point but I don't know what you want me to do, and the thing you seem to be suggesting looks totally unrealistic."
    A rare comment that has changed my view. I think you are right. Leading by example is surely the way forward.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

On this thread there are people openly discussing drastic human population reduction as a solution to our problems. presumably by incentive or....goodness, I don;t know what.

They are openly discussing measures that would mean massive changes to the lifestyles of ordinary people, again enforced or by dictat or incentive presumably, and again imposed without scrutiny or consent.

Oh for goodness sake you are talking about me and I said absolutely no such things.

Stop talking absolute twaddle.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    FF43 said:

From my view, Trump should never have been President in the first place, but given he was elected despite the clear signs of being unfit for office and given there is a mechanism to remove him through election that won't be any slower than impeachment, I suspect impeachment will be a substitute of process for substantive questions about his presidency.

The first part also applies to Johnson, but we have five long years ahead of us.

I think it's technically correct to impeach him but in a sense I'm glad that he is bound to be acquitted. Because it's far far better that he be removed the way he came in - at the ballot box. If it were any other way the grievance and conspiracy theories unleashed would be something to behold.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

From my view, Trump should never have been President in the first place, but given he was elected despite the clear signs of being unfit for office and given there is a mechanism to remove him through election that won't be any slower than impeachment, I suspect impeachment will be a substitute of process for substantive questions about his presidency....
    So you expect the Congress to ignore it when a president is committing crimes ?
    Part of their constitutionally mandated raison d'être is oversight of the executive, and the power of impeachment is written into the constitution for a reason.

Sure, the Republican Senate might vote to acquit him, but not to bring impeachment charges would be to give tacit acceptance to his behaviour.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

But you were opining that the true motive of climate activists is not to stop global warming but to slake a thirst for centralized power and a Stalinist repression of individual liberty.

That, to me, is very frothy indeed.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Betting Flash -

Biden and Sanders are now the same price for both the nomination AND the presidency.

So the market has taken a look at all this "Biden has a much better chance than Sanders of beating Trump" talk and given it the finger.
  • Options

That blue is rather fetching to be fair.

But it ain't the much more distinguished dark navy blue of the old passports that all the "back-to-the-50s" types are claiming we were going to get back. I bet it's not a hard cover either, nor has it got cut-outs in the cover displaying the holder's name and the passport number. Let's hope that all these other supposed benefits of Brexit don't turn out to be an equally [ale imitation. Not holding my breath, though.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    speedy2 said:

What is this evidence that Pete Buttigieg is hated by minorities? He’s not their first choice but that seems to be largely because they don’t know him.

Because he polls always close to 0% with them.
    And the reason is that he is perceived to be a Mayor with a heavy hand towards minorities.
    It's his record that is sinking him.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/03/buttigieg-black-outreach-2020-074867

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mollyhensleyclancy/pete-buttigieg-black-lives-matter

https://prospect.org/civil-rights/african-americans-already-know-pete-buttigieg-very-well/
    Or, alternatively, we can have a look at some polling:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/alq58zq5zt/econTabReport.pdf

The slide on p68 - among black voters, "Favorable" 35%, "Unfavorable" 23%, "Don't know" 41%.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

kjh said:

Damn, I am going to have to watch it again aren't I?
    Yes :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    kinabalu said:

Betting Flash -

Biden and Sanders are now the same price for both the nomination AND the presidency.

So the market has taken a look at all this "Biden has a much better chance than Sanders of beating Trump" talk and given it the finger.

Bonkers.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

But you were opining that the true motive of climate activists is not to stop global warming but to slake a thirst for centralized power and a Stalinist repression of individual liberty.

That, to me, is very frothy indeed.
    Agree. I can't think of a single climate activist who is doing it with the intention to grab power. Not even the most deluded. Of course sometimes those with a cause end up going to extreme methods, but it is odd to assume that is their motive in the first place.

And you have only got to see the post referring to my posts on population to see the same warped interpretation which claims all sorts of stuff in my name that I never said nor endorse.

Surprising what people can read that isn't there.
  • Options
    SablonSablon Posts: 2
    Commenting from the US … I see a lot of noise here around Buttigieg out of all proportion to reality. He's certainly a factor in the race, but there are three Democrat primary candidates who consistently poll much better. Whatever his virtues may be, he's a 30-something small town mayor with no previous national profile trying to jump to the biggest office in the country, if not the world.

And why is his support among minorities so low, way worse than his overall numbers? Lots of possible reasons, but anyway it is what it is. You're not going to win the Democratic nomination with 0-3% support from black and other minority voters.

A miracle could happen for him but realistically, this is a contest involving Biden, Warren and Sanders.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited January 2020

Good things: overall sweep of what was a good story; good tension; showing squaddies as young (they're usually portrayed as late-twenty somethings; showing officers as not donkeys leading lions; and yes that single shot camera which made you not want to leave the protagonist.

Bad things: comical appearance of Brit stars: where were Judy Dench and Jim Broadbent; comical X2 appearance of dastardly then not dastardly but nevertheless inevitable Benedict Cumberbatch; strange accent from George Mackay (for US consumption?); not brilliant music definitely not as good as Dunkirk.

B+
  • Options
    A useful piece by Nate Silver on the chances of a contested Dem convention:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-what-are-the-chances-of-a-brokered-convention/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Good things: overall sweep of what was a good story; good tension; showing squaddies as young (they're usually portrayed as late-twenty somethings; showing officers as not donkeys leading lions; and yes that single shot camera which made you not want to leave the protagonist.

Bad things: comical appearance of Brit stars: where were Judy Dench and Jim Broadbent; comical X2 appearance of dastardly then not dastardly but nevertheless inevitable Benedict Cumberbatch; strange accent from George Mackay (for US consumption?); not brilliant music definitely not as good as Dunkirk.

B+

Being taken to see it this weekend with my son as a Christmas present. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sablon said:

Commenting from the US … I see a lot of noise here around Buttigieg out of all proportion to reality.

I'm sure there's absolutely no correlation between Buttigieg-rampers and those who have a financial interest in the lowering of his odds...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

B+

Being taken to see it this weekend with my son as a Christmas present. Looking forward to it.
    It's a very good film.
  • Options

Point me to this open discussion of drastic human population changes, please.

And just how are these massive changes to the lifestyles of ordinary people to be enforced without scrutiny or consent ?
    Unless you mean the normal operations of the market ?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

And just how are these massive changes to the lifestyles of ordinary people to be enforced without scrutiny or consent ?

Coca Cola's response was interesting. We're not going to bin plastic bottles because our customers don't want us to.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

B+

No mention of Laurence Fox there. So I'm going to assume he's not in it. Either unavailable or (more likely) wasn't considered because not thought good enough.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

B+

It's a very good film.
    I hope it is better than Joker. I was extremely disappointed by that.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

B+

No mention of Laurence Fox there. So I'm going to assume he's not in it. Either unavailable or (more likely) wasn't considered because not thought good enough.
    Emma Thompson was absent also.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

B+

It's a very good film.
    Not seen Joker. Perhaps will now avoid. Maybe I'll go to see Jo Jo Rabbit.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

A rare comment that has changed my view. I think you are right. Leading by example is surely the way forward.
    Flying around the world for business meetings could be the smoking on public transport, in buildings and planes of the 2040s
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Anyone know a price for RLB to win in the first round of voting?
  • Options

A useful piece by Nate Silver on the chances of a contested Dem convention:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-what-are-the-chances-of-a-brokered-convention/

It's a very good article.

All those possibilities will narrow very rapidly post Iowa.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

B+

It's a very good film.
    The latter was good.
    Parasite was very good.
  • Options
    isam said:

FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

Flying around the world for business meetings could be the smoking on public transport, in buildings and planes of the 2040s
    I flew to Europe today for a one hour meeting. Even the Uber driver raised an eyebrow.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I think that there is a grain of truth here. As someone who once studied climate science (many years ago) I get a little upset that it has been hijacked by the extreme left and the media purveyors of hyperbole. There is a weight of evidence that indicates man-made climate change, that is backed by a clear consensus of the scientific community. If there is any dissent to this it is very muted and that is probably a bad thing from a scientific perspective. What is not clear is what can be done to reverse the trend, and whether any action will be genuinely effective. Pragmatists may be better off asking the question of what planning can be done to mitigate any reaction to a change of the earth's average temperature.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

I flew to Europe today for a one hour meeting. Even the Uber driver raised an eyebrow.
    I stopped doing this after I discovered Skype, and it's successor equivalents.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

Not the same.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

Not the same.
    Agreed, but it means you do not waste the day sitting in an airport for a discussion that can often take place over Skype. If, however, it is a first meeting with a client that seeks to establish trust, this needs to be done face to face
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I think that there is a grain of truth here. As someone who once studied climate science (many years ago) I get a little upset that it has been hijacked by the extreme left and the media purveyors of hyperbole. There is a weight of evidence that indicates man-made climate change, that is backed by a clear consensus of the scientific community. If there is any dissent to this it is very muted and that is probably a bad thing from a scientific perspective. What is not clear is what can be done to reverse the trend, and whether any action will be genuinely effective. Pragmatists may be better off asking the question of what planning can be done to mitigate any reaction to a change of the earth's average temperature.
    Mitigation will be required because it is an evident truth that "we" are not going to change our behaviour to the extent that climate activists say is necessary.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

It's not just environmentally costly; it's a waste of time and money. It takes the participants and organiser to collectively say, why should I have to do this? I have thought this about sales. Refusing to travel to the customer will never be an excuse for losing a sale. The customer has to drive this and say, we won't accept bids in person. You will submit your bid by email and we will hold a video conference to go through it. A good starting point for that kind of campaign is environmental campaigners putting this agenda into practice themselves. Which I think was Sir Norfolk's point.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

I’m sure Greta could e’d turned up at the NY conference via video link and had a real go at all the hypocrites who travel around the world going to these five-star all-expenses-paid climate change conferences.

Not the same.
    Agreed, but it means you do not waste the day sitting in an airport for a discussion that can often take place over Skype. If, however, it is a first meeting with a client that seeks to establish trust, this needs to be done face to face
    What you say is of course right but it also shows how easy it is to start laying down the law as to what is and what is not acceptable and to tell others how they should or shouldn't behave.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

Thought I would add this to the mix.

'rable rouses' have been saying 'what everybody is doing is wrong; and you must all change your ways, and do exactly what I tell you to do since the old testament days.

A peak came in the 1968 with the book 'population bomb' by Paul Ehrlick, non of the predictions came true, in fact just about the opposite happened. In 2020 pritiy much identical arguments are being razed by Extinction Rebellion and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xkXjj6dalM
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Interesting clip of the chat between Joe Rogan and NYT commentator Bari Weiss, discussing the candidates.
    She reckons it will be Bernie for the Dem nomination, on the basis that his base are the most energised.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=F0PT_vQXtZM
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Emma Thompson was absent also.

Very good in Love Actually, I thought. A cheesy film but her character and storyline had depth and was quite moving.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Mitigation will be required because it is an evident truth that "we" are not going to change our behaviour to the extent that climate activists say is necessary.
    Assuming the effects are as bad as they believe. That is still uncertain, altho many believe probable. Climate science is one of the least exact sciences in existence, which is one of the reasons for the hyperbole. You can create models for many many different outcomes. The media and the likes of Greta Thunberg (and her parents no doubt) like to focus people's minds on the worst scenarios, because this creates better headlines and more research grants. They might turn out to be right, and we might be facing devastation and mass extinction. On the other hand Trump (much as I despise him) might be right. He is as well qualified as Greta, i.e. not very.
  • Options
    I think punters have got this right. Having been heavily involved in British politics and now just a US based (Boston) political observer I hear an increasing number of people (liberals) who believe Trump will win. He won't be convicted by the senate, the economy will continue to grow and the Dems are going to select an oldie (Biden, Sanders), a Billionaire (Steyer, Bloomberg) or a child (Mayor Pete). I think Warren would have a chance but Trump already has his Pocahontas attack lines established. It's going to be a very nasty election
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Assuming the effects are as bad as they believe. That is still uncertain, altho many believe probable. Climate science is one of the least exact sciences in existence, which is one of the reasons for the hyperbole. You can create models for many many different outcomes. The media and the likes of Greta Thunberg (and her parents no doubt) like to focus people's minds on the worst scenarios, because this creates better headlines and more research grants. They might turn out to be right, and we might be facing devastation and mass extinction. On the other hand Trump (much as I despise him) might be right. He is as well qualified as Greta, i.e. not very.
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    How many people would answer a question like that truthfully?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    edited January 2020
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

I flew towithin Europe today for a one hour meeting. Even the Uber driver raised an eyebrow.
    Corrected?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    I'd like to know the mathematics that will tell you how many men who would like to have sex on the first date get lucky enough to find a woman that fits in the 3% category?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    I'd like to know the mathematics that will tell you how many men who would like to have sex on the first date get lucky enough to find a woman that fits in the 3% category?
    sadly I have to go home before someone works it out for me!!lol
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    Fornication sounds fun. Big loss to society that it's no longer a thing.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    I had a friend in the 9%, his usual MO was to ask girls in a club half an hour before it closed if they’d like to go home with him. Even assuming that girls in that 3% were equally as likely to be in the club at the end of the night as others, he’d need to get an average of 33 slaps around the face before one said yes and they left together. He almost never went home on his own!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Quincel said:

Sandpit said:

I flew towithin Europe today for a one hour meeting. Even the Uber driver raised an eyebrow.
    Corrected?
    Good point.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    I had a friend in the 9%, his usual MO was to ask girls in a club half an hour before it closed if they’d like to go home with him. Even assuming that girls in that 3% were equally as likely to be in the club at the end of the night as others, he’d need to get an average of 33 slaps around the face before one said yes and they left together. He almost never went home on his own!
    The 91% and 97% respectively don't tend to go to clubs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    rcs1000 said:
    I believe Islam and Sikhism forbids sex outside marriage too, as does Catholicism of course and most evangelical Churches, Hinduism is a bit more flexible if voluntary on the part of both parties and a strong desire and Buddhism also allows sex outside marriage if both parties are truly in love.

Orthodox Judaism generally forbids it unless the male marries his partner afterwards.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    Probably if you look like Brad Pitt or George Clooney you might away with it
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Gay men and sex are quite different. They’ll have sex on the first date and if they really get on, after three or four meetings they might exchange names and phone numbers.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

Thought I would add this to the mix.

'rable rouses' have been saying 'what everybody is doing is wrong; and you must all change your ways, and do exactly what I tell you to do since the old testament days.

A peak came in the 1968 with the book 'population bomb' by Paul Ehrlick, non of the predictions came true, in fact just about the opposite happened. In 2020 pritiy much identical arguments are being razed by Extinction Rebellion and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xkXjj6dalM
    The world got less poor and people didn't need as many children.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5xF-UYgdg
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    I had an Italian friend at university who did the same, you have to be very self confident and immune to rejection but you can then get it if you really want it
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:
    Fornication sounds fun. Big loss to society that it's no longer a thing.
    Then go to France "niquer" is actually an abbreviation of "forniquer"
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

B+

It's a very good film.
    The latter was good.
    Parasite was very good.
    Joker was awful, Jo Jo rabbit (I've never seen) looks average at Best and is parasite in subtitles?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    I had an Italian friend at university who did the same, you have to be very self confident and immune to rejection but you can then get it if you really want it
    If he’s anything like my old university friend, he’s now working in sales and doing very well for himself. But yes, utter self-confidence and not caring about often literal slaps around the face, equals sex every week.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:
    I believe Islam and Sikhism forbids sex outside marriage too, as does Catholicism of course and most evangelical Churches, Hinduism is a bit more flexible if voluntary on the part of both parties and a strong desire and Buddhism also allows sex outside marriage if both parties are truly in love.

Orthodox Judaism generally forbids it unless the male marries his partner afterwards.
    I understand that in some sects within the Shia Islam they have a concept of a Temporary mirage to use as a loop hole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikah_mut'ah
  • Options

I think if you're the sort of person who makes a great impression due to looks and/or personality - no allusion either way regarding @TOPPING and his flight today I hasten to stress - then it's probably in most cases worth the effort to arrange or attend flesh & blood meetings. Of course this is not to consider the environmental impact.
This discussion has been closed.