Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In spite of Trump’s impeachment problems punters give the Repu

124»

Comments

• Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431

Assuming the effects are as bad as they believe. That is still uncertain, altho many believe probable. Climate science is one of the least exact sciences in existence, which is one of the reasons for the hyperbole. You can create models for many many different outcomes. The media and the likes of Greta Thunberg (and her parents no doubt) like to focus people's minds on the worst scenarios, because this creates better headlines and more research grants. They might turn out to be right, and we might be facing devastation and mass extinction. On the other hand Trump (much as I despise him) might be right. He is as well qualified as Greta, i.e. not very.

I know you say you have studied climate science, but as someone with expertise in it, I'm afraid your understanding of how climate models work is incorrect.

When you hear headline figures from the IPCC, these are based on climate models which are implementations of the fundamental laws of thermodynamics and Newton's Laws of motions. The most important reason for the spread in climate model projections (given the same greenhouse gas concentration pathway) is that there are small-scale processes, such as cloud formation, which cannot be represented in this way in a global model, which must therefore be parameterised. Taking the example of clouds, different models will give different cloud-feedbacks to climate change, either amplifying or damping it. This is why some climate models will give a climate sensitivity (response to doubling of CO2) of 3 degrees C and others will give a climate sensitivity of 5 degrees C, for example.

You simply cannot set these models up to give you whatever response you want. Now, there are also such things as box models, used (by me, for example) for conceptual purposes. These could, in principle, be tuned to give a wide range of results. However (1) these models are not used for headline IPCC figures; (2) if tuned to give a crazy result, they would fail to reproduce the most basic aspects of 20th century climate anyway.

By all means criticise Greta Thunberg if you want. A clearer example is that Extinction Rebellion do exaggerate, and that irritates me as a scientist.

By all means argue for emphasis on adaptation to climate change, rather than mitigation to prevent it. It's a valid political viewpoint, though I certainly disagree.

But falsely dragging the fundamental science into it, as you are doing, is simply delusional. You might as well state that evolution is one of the least exact sciences there is (it is far less well understood than climate change), and then use that as the basis for arguing that creationists are as likely to be right as anyone else.

Plus, you don't understand research funding if you think research grants are motivating Thunberg and the media.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

Nigelb said:

On this thread there are people openly discussing drastic human population reduction as a solution to our problems. presumably by incentive or....goodness, I don;t know what.

They are openly discussing measures that would mean massive changes to the lifestyles of ordinary people, again enforced or by dictat or incentive presumably, and again imposed without scrutiny or consent.

Point me to this open discussion of drastic human population changes, please.

And just how are these massive changes to the lifestyles of ordinary people to be enforced without scrutiny or consent ?
    Unless you mean the normal operations of the market ?

Thought I would add this to the mix.

'rable rouses' have been saying 'what everybody is doing is wrong; and you must all change your ways, and do exactly what I tell you to do since the old testament days.

A peak came in the 1968 with the book 'population bomb' by Paul Ehrlick, non of the predictions came true, in fact just about the opposite happened. In 2020 pritiy much identical arguments are being razed by Extinction Rebellion and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xkXjj6dalM
    The world got less poor and people didn't need as many children.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5xF-UYgdg
    Hans Rosling was an amazing man, such a sad loss when he passed away.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    kjh said:

kjh said:

I used to organise conferences for the companies I represented. By far the biggest benefit of these conferences was the networking (according to them). As about 1/3 of them were based in London I thought why not hire a room above a pub one night for them to meet up. No agenda.

It was a flop. It appears networking is the biggest benefit, but there has to be another reason for attending. An actual agenda.

That might be because it's hard to get sign-off for the expenses if you have to admit you're only going for the booze-up.
    What expenses do you incur that you claim back when you go to the pub after work? I want to work there.
    ? If it’s organised as a networking event, 100% expensed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:
    Correct. The theistic pressure to avoid sex before marriage has undoubtably ruined several marriages. More evidence that religion wrecks human lives!
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    This thread has obtained a blue passport that it could have had anyway
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,635

kjh said:

kjh said:

I used to organise conferences for the companies I represented. By far the biggest benefit of these conferences was the networking (according to them). As about 1/3 of them were based in London I thought why not hire a room above a pub one night for them to meet up. No agenda.

It was a flop. It appears networking is the biggest benefit, but there has to be another reason for attending. An actual agenda.

That might be because it's hard to get sign-off for the expenses if you have to admit you're only going for the booze-up.
    What expenses do you incur that you claim back when you go to the pub after work? I want to work there.
    ? If it’s organised as a networking event, 100% expensed.
    Really. You would go to the bar and buy a drink and claim it back because you were talking shop.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    rcs1000 said:
    The third date thing for women has become culturally ingrained.

This implies a male strategy of theatre and cinema dates for dates one and two where you have less interaction and thus less chance of fucking it up. Manage a good dinner on date three and you are in.
  • Options

Gay men and sex are quite different. They’ll have sex on the first date and if they really get on, after three or four meetings they might exchange names and phone numbers.

😀
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:
    I believe Islam and Sikhism forbids sex outside marriage too, as does Catholicism of course and most evangelical Churches, Hinduism is a bit more flexible if voluntary on the part of both parties and a strong desire and Buddhism also allows sex outside marriage if both parties are truly in love.

Orthodox Judaism generally forbids it unless the male marries his partner afterwards.
    LOL. Religion is just bonkers.
This discussion has been closed.