Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Blair Supremacy. Rating Corbyn as a politician

124»

Comments

• Options

isam said:

RIP Sir Roger Scruton - lower middle class boy done good

Who's he?
    Not someone I suspect you would like!
    Why do you say that ?

I can't dislike someone I don't know.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233
    Cyclefree said:

Iranian civilians are being shot dead in Tehran. Not looking good.

It is fine and dandy Trump destabilising Iran, and good luck to him. What comes next is the big question.
  • Options

isam said:

Who's he?
    Why do you say that ?

He was a Conservative Philosopher and somewhat controversial. Google him.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Labour should and I hope will stay well beyond power until they update their economic and social world-view beyond the 19th Century (and I do mean the 19th). The world really has moved on.

The principles of a shared prosperity and a shared responsibility are good. Stealing and rabble rousing aren't appropriate solutions in those areas though.

I have not heard a sensible word out of the mouth of a Labour politician on economic matters since Darling left the scene, and even he mostly spouted nonsense.

Labour's electability depends on their next leader's choice of shadow chancellor.

The sensible thing to do would be to give that to the deputy leader.

The worry about this leadership election is that if Starmer wins he may feel obliged to give it to Long Bailey as meat to his Corbynista wing.
    The Deputy Leader is going to be Angela Rayner, it's an elected position.
    Yes, I know. I am saying that the person who is elected deputy should be made Shadow Chancellor.
    That could be Burgon! Noooooo!
    Ummm...no. Not in this space time continuum it couldn’t be.
    Tell me you haven't had second thoughts now I have alerted you to such a scary proposition.
    Second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth thoughts.

But surely even a Labour party that elected Corbyn wouldn't be *that* crazy...
    No it really is possible, although mercifully at the moment unlikely.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited January 2020
    Paoli said:

Labour's best electoral future seemingly is taking all the good parts of the 2017 manifesto and then junking what made it all go wrong in 2019.

The leader and Brexit were two massive issues and are now gone, so if they pick Starmer, Nandy or Phillips they're probably in the best position they possibly can be in.

I think it grossly understates the problems they face to say, essentially, dust down the 2017 manifesto and be less grumpy than Corbyn.

They have just heavily lost an election where the fundamentals were actually pretty good for them - relatively unpopular Tory leader, divided party of government which had failed in its key objective, national crisis, and insipid economy.

They don't look anywhere close to being a Government in waiting. They need a heavy injection of discipline, a complete change in electoral strategy, a new internal culture and language, an agenda which is looks serious rather than freebie-driven, a strategy to deal with Scotland. It's a huge, huge task for Starmer or anyone else.
    I don't disagree with the analysis you've made - but I do think if you are to look at Labour's performance in the 2010s, the 2017 performance was the best and hence it logically makes sense to see what did work that year and what didn't.

My point is that Labour could be in a much worse position if it chooses RLB or ET, at least with Starmer he'll be pragmatic enough to move the party as needed.

I wouldn't write them off yet, just 15 years ago the Tories were seemingly dead and buried.
    The last line is incorrect. The Tories were in far better shape 15 years ago than Labour is now. The Populus poll in January 2005 (i.e. exactly 15 years ago) showed Lab 38% Con 33%. At the May 2005 General Election, the Tony Blair Labour government managed a majority of just 3% over Michael Howard's Tories.

Labour's position is much closer to the Tories' situation at the 1997 General Election. In 1997, Tony Blair's Labour was at 43% with a John Major-led Tory Party at 31%. The respective figures are now almost the same, but in reverse (44% v 32%). This suggests it will be a lot more than 15 years before Labour achieves a solid working majority.
    Labour's position is more akin to post-1987 election when the Tory lead was 11.8% across GB compared with 11.6% last month. Whilst it is true that Labour now only has 203 seats whereas in 1987 they won 229, the difference is more than accounted for by Scotland where Labour had 50 seats that year rather than the single MP for Edinburgh South. Thus , Labour now has 202 seats in England & Wales compared with just 179 in 1987. On that basis, Labour's challenge next time is similar to what faced it in 1992.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

That is just dreadful
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    edited January 2020
    Cyclefree said:

I am starting to wonder if the Iranian government is about implode. It looks as though Soleimani may have been even more important in keeping things going than everybody thought. Certainly they are currently giving every sign of being both in total disarray and an advanced state of panic. Shooting student protestors was the last mistake the Shah made and the proximate cause of the Iranian revolution of 1979 - a fact that should give Khamenei pause for thought.

Perhaps one thing we should remember is he was one of the comparatively few government ministers who was middle-aged rather than geriatric.

It would be more than slightly ironic if one of Trump's crazy moments actually caused the collapse of one of the most dangerous governments in the middle east - although whether it would improve matters would depend on what replaced it.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    justin124 said:

Labour's position is more akin to post-1987 election when the Tory lead was 11.8% across GB compared with 11.6% last month. Whilst it is true that Labour now only has 203 seats whereas in 1987 they won 229, the difference is more than accounted for by Scotland where Labour had 50 seats that year rather than the single MP for Edinburgh South. Thus , Labour now has 202 seats in England & Wales compared with just 179 in 1987. On that basis, Labour's challenge next time is similar to what faced it in 1992.

It might be worth focussing on England alone - no election since 1974 (except possibly 2017) has been decisively affected by just one of the three Celtic nations, due to their small size.

On that basis, Labour in 1987 had 154 seats, compared to 180 now.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

I am starting to wonder if the Iranian government is about implode. It looks as though Soleimani may have been even more important in keeping things going than everybody thought. Certainly they are currently giving every sign of being both in total disarray and an advanced state of panic. Shooting student protestors was the last mistake the Shah made and the proximate cause of the Iranian revolution of 1979 - a fact that should give Khamenei pause for thought.

Perhaps one thing we should remember is he was one of the comparatively few government ministers who was middle-aged rather than geriatric.

It would be more than slightly ironic if one of Trump's crazy moments actually caused the collapse of one of the most dangerous governments in the middle east - although whether it would improve matters would depend on what replaced it.
    They have been shooting protesters for a while - not sure our press gave it much prominence before.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Cyclefree said:

It is fine and dandy Trump destabilising Iran, and good luck to him. What comes next is the big question.
    Again - before Trump acted they were killing protesters
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Paoli said:

Labour's best electoral future seemingly is taking all the good parts of the 2017 manifesto and then junking what made it all go wrong in 2019.

The leader and Brexit were two massive issues and are now gone, so if they pick Starmer, Nandy or Phillips they're probably in the best position they possibly can be in.

I think it grossly understates the problems they face to say, essentially, dust down the 2017 manifesto and be less grumpy than Corbyn.

They have just heavily lost an election where the fundamentals were actually pretty good for them - relatively unpopular Tory leader, divided party of government which had failed in its key objective, national crisis, and insipid economy.

They don't look anywhere close to being a Government in waiting. They need a heavy injection of discipline, a complete change in electoral strategy, a new internal culture and language, an agenda which is looks serious rather than freebie-driven, a strategy to deal with Scotland. It's a huge, huge task for Starmer or anyone else.
    I don't disagree with the analysis you've made - but I do think if you are to look at Labour's performance in the 2010s, the 2017 performance was the best and hence it logically makes sense to see what did work that year and what didn't.

My point is that Labour could be in a much worse position if it chooses RLB or ET, at least with Starmer he'll be pragmatic enough to move the party as needed.

I wouldn't write them off yet, just 15 years ago the Tories were seemingly dead and buried.
    The last line is incorrect. The Tories were in far better shape 15 years ago than Labour is now. The Populus poll in January 2005 (i.e. exactly 15 years ago) showed Lab 38% Con 33%. At the May 2005 General Election, the Tony Blair Labour government managed a majority of just 3% over Michael Howard's Tories.

Labour's position is much closer to the Tories' situation at the 1997 General Election. In 1997, Tony Blair's Labour was at 43% with a John Major-led Tory Party at 31%. The respective figures are now almost the same, but in reverse (44% v 32%). This suggests it will be a lot more than 15 years before Labour achieves a solid working majority.
    The Tories got 32% in 2005 too to be fair but had a working majority 10 years later
  • Options
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

They have been shooting protesters for a while - not sure our press gave it much prominence before.
    They've been shooting protestors for 41 years. So far as I know, this is the first time they've combined it with shooting down airliners, messing up military strikes and kidnapping foreign ambassadors.
  • Options

isam said:

Who's he?
    Why do you say that ?

Thanks.
  • Options

• Options
    PaoliPaoli Posts: 8
    Obviously, you are right about Scotland. But whereas Scotland is (or was) an essential part of Labour's coalition, the 6 seats are juts a cherry on the cake for the Tories.

I have just reminded myself of the Scotland popular vote in 2019. I hadn't appreciated that the Conservatives got 180,000 more votes in Scotland than Labour and that they were ahead in the vote share by 25% to 18%. There's a very long way for Labour to go in Scotland ...
  • Options

Try the 1997 manifesto and you might be on to something. Make sure you are seen to expel hundreds of Anti-semites and Momentum/Militant activists too. And learn to do aspiration. Nobody will vote for a party that promises to punish those a little wealthier than they are because ay heart they aspire to be there themselves.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    It's so hard to separate cause and effect, because economic success attracts and engenders a certain bundle of attitudes, and vice versa. One possible way to break this cycle is to observe that most of the winner-towns of the 21st century have easy access to an international airport. Of course airlines serve thriving areas better, but building the airport in the first place is costly. So this access to global cities and markets seems to be important. What a low-carbon future means is uncertain. It should equalise outcomes, but other technologies like teleworking have not equalised economic success across different areas, even when they look like prime candidates to have done so.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Other countries have capitals outside the main city. If Washington or Canberra are anything to go by, you just create another successful city full of hated metropolitan elites. Sheffield, to choose one example, is already a thoroughly Labour city full of the kinds of people despised by the Brexit identity/supremacy/ultimatum.

Sheffield voted to leave.
  • Options
    RIP Sir Roger Scruton, a great conservative intellectual
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51084248
  • Options
    On a lighter note, one of the most exciting games of hand egg ever currently in progress.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

On a lighter note, one of the most exciting games of hand egg ever currently in progress.

Also the first episode of Love Island.
  • Options

You won't be getting a job with Big Dom if you admit to watching such things!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Try the 1997 manifesto and you might be on to something. Make sure you are seen to expel hundreds of Anti-semites and Momentum/Militant activists too. And learn to do aspiration. Nobody will vote for a party that promises to punish those a little wealthier than they are because ay heart they aspire to be there themselves.
    Labour's really big problem is that those who traditionally voted for them, unthinking in that because they were supporting the party of the working man, have stopped doing so. And they have stopped doing so because of non-delivery by Labour.

This is not just about Corbyn losing two elections and being unable to deliver his Marxist manifesto. It is because their former voters have simply seen through Labour. Both national and local Labour governance has not made their lives materially better. And once out there, that genie is not getting back in the bottle.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    HYUFD said:

RIP.

I wonder if he will be getting more champagne in: https://spectator.imgix.net/content/uploads/2019/04/IMG-5190.jpg
  • Options

Unless you can show how to apply Love Island first principles to unwinding the civil service and attacking the Blob......
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited January 2020

isam said:

Who's he?
    Why do you say that ?

In my early teaching career one of my fellow teachers was teaching at his school when he was in the Sixth-form. Didn’t teach him though: wrong subject.

Looking at his Wiki entry I have taught in one or more of the labs where he studied Physics.
  • Options

Agreed. Much too far above his intellectual level.
  • Options

"Become financially independent in the next 5 years". 1/2? 50/1 would be tight-fisted. There ought to be a law against odds like that. Some poor sod (glances wearily at bank statement) is going to have to meet their security costs while they trot the globe, smiling for the camera, progressively doing sfa.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:

Sir Roger was at the centre of controversy last year when he was dismissed from, then reinstated to, an unpaid role as a government housing advisor after criticism of his comments about China and Muslim immigrants.

After he was restored to the role when supporters said his remarks had been misrepresented, he said there was a "witch-hunt" against right-wing figures, aiming to characterise them as racist or fascist.

That is a rather inaccurate take on the situation to say the least. It makes it sound like he was just doing what lots of people caught out complain about, when the reality was he was stitched up when his actual words were revealed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

HYUFD said:

Sir Roger was at the centre of controversy last year when he was dismissed from, then reinstated to, an unpaid role as a government housing advisor after criticism of his comments about China and Muslim immigrants.

After he was restored to the role when supporters said his remarks had been misrepresented, he said there was a "witch-hunt" against right-wing figures, aiming to characterise them as racist or fascist.

That is a rather inaccurate take on the situation to say the least. It makes it sound like he was just doing what lots of people caught out complain about, when the reality was he was stitched up when his actual words were revealed.
    Yes, it is a fact that he was misinterpreted, not an opinion.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854

This is sick. I realise there is considerable interest in their fate but they are still people and betting on their divorce is distasteful.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    edited January 2020
    EPG said:

It's so hard to separate cause and effect, because economic success attracts and engenders a certain bundle of attitudes, and vice versa. One possible way to break this cycle is to observe that most of the winner-towns of the 21st century have easy access to an international airport. Of course airlines serve thriving areas better, but building the airport in the first place is costly. So this access to global cities and markets seems to be important. What a low-carbon future means is uncertain. It should equalise outcomes, but other technologies like teleworking have not equalised economic success across different areas, even when they look like prime candidates to have done so.

Yes, building the airport is costly. And then persuading airlines to use you regional airport is hard. (Well, Ryanair will fly to Malaga, but other than that...)

Look at Manchester: it has the second biggest airport in the UK by traffic volume.

And BA has - over the past two decades - essentially cut all long haul from it. You can fly Emirates to Dubai (and in an A380 too), but for anywhere else, you're basically SoL.

This is a much worse situation than France, where Paris, Nice and Lyon all have long-haul. In Germany, there must be half a dozen airports with long-haul.

In the US, local municipalities typically subsidise airports, recognising the economic benefits that come from better connectivity.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    viewcode said:

This is sick. I realise there is considerable interest in their fate but they are still people and betting on their divorce is distasteful.
    They were betting on whether Dave had stuck his cock in a pigs head. Not sure there is anything thst is more distasteful.than that. They will be betting on who Boris shags next...
  • Options

viewcode said:

They were betting on whether Dave had stuck his cock in a pigs head.
    That one was always in pork taste.
  • Options

viewcode said:

They were betting on whether Dave had stuck his cock in a pigs head. Not sure there is anything thst is more distasteful.than that. They will be betting on who Boris shags next...
    :(
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Labour's really big problem is that those who traditionally voted for them, unthinking in that because they were supporting the party of the working man, have stopped doing so. And they have stopped doing so because of non-delivery by Labour.

This is not just about Corbyn losing two elections and being unable to deliver his Marxist manifesto. It is because their former voters have simply seen through Labour. Both national and local Labour governance has not made their lives materially better. And once out there, that genie is not getting back in the bottle.
    I think the big anti- Labour swing in their heartland areas in 2019 is likely to have been Brexit and Corbyn specific in terms of its scale. How much of that will be reversed when both factors cease to be relevant remains to be seen.
    The traffic is not ,however, one way. When Portillo lost Enfield Southgate to Labour in 1997 , it was rather assumed that such seats were only winnable for Labour in landslide years. I never expected to see Labour win such seats in a year when the Tories enjoyed a national majority of 80! Ditto for Hove on the South Coast. In the latter seat, I recall a lost Labour deposit at the November 1973 by election.. The same happened at the December 1984 Southgate by election when Portillo was first elected.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

They will bet on anything if it brings home the bacon...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

That's nothing, they were laying odds for Obama and Trump to be assassinated.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    isam said:

Very sad to learn of this, especially after his recent vilification by George Eaton of the NewStatesman.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, it is a fact that he was misinterpreted, not an opinion.
    That quote about a lie spreading half way around the world and all that....the BBC are still reporting it in his obituary, with no link to the real story, only the initial fall out.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

One of their rasher bets.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Pig deal!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Do they want to hog the limelight?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You might not be such a fan if you were a fox!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Incredible, 52 points now in the 1st half of the hand egg.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

Though you might be more of one if you were a wild rabbit on the fox's menu, such is nature
  • Options

HYUFD said:

De mortuis nil nisi bonum. Douglas Murray's appreciation is worth reading.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/01/roger-scruton-a-man-who-seemed-bigger-than-the-age/
  • Options

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

A fat lot of good it did them.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Though you might be more of one if you were a wild rabbit on the fox's menu, such is nature
    A fox hunter, but I doubt he was doing it for the bunnies.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2020/01/roger-scruton-a-man-who-seemed-bigger-than-the-age/
    A well written and sympathetic obit. But he still liked fox hunting!
  • Options
    I have a theory that when areas trend Lab or Tory, it is for different reasons.

Brighton is a liberal hotspot attracting incomers. Because of this house prices go up and people who can't afford to live in Brighton moved to Hove which has now become like Brighton. In turn people who can't afford to live in Hove are moving to East Worthing and Shoreham which is going the same way (e.g. this seat voted for Brexit but only had a very small swing to the Tories in 2019). Effectively liberal seats cluster together. Another good example is Chingford which is moving towards Lab as people who are priced out of Hackney move in.

In terms of seats trending Con, I would argue that in places like Bassetlaw, there is not much movement of people into the seat. Instead the change is driven more by the existing population changing their political views e.g. traditional allegiences to Lab dying off. While this has sped up in the last 2 elections, it is easy to see that the change started some time before that. I would argue that some of the change over time is due to gradual acceptability of not voting Lab / voting Ukip/Brexit/Con - essentially if your friends stop voting Labour it is easier to make the change as well.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Whilst I disagreed with him on many things, his activities during the Cold War (which did not come to light until later) did speak well of him, and is a rare example of somebody with money and reputation quietly doing a good thing to the betterment of others.
  • Options

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

A well written and sympathetic obit. But he still liked fox hunting!
    Trail hunts ever since the ban.

• Options

HYUFD said:

The foxes will not Maugham for him.

Good night.
  • Options

Is this American Rugby, presumably?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Is that hecause they were hamming it up
    ??? or were they just ham fisted?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

Is this American Rugby, presumably?
    Half of it.
    It seems the defensive teams did not turn up.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

There’s no cure for such punning.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Was it just a smoked screen...
  • Options
    Breaking news v Sky

Boris hits out at Trump over the nuclear deal with Iran in a joint statement issued this evening with Macron and Merkel
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Indeed. A rasher course of action would be difficult. They seem to be scratching around, in hock to pork-barrel politics.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Was it just a smoked screen...
    I see you continue to lardon yet more.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    viewcode said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Whilst I disagreed with him on many things, his activities during the Cold War (which did not come to light until later) did speak well of him, and is a rare example of somebody with money and reputation quietly doing a good thing to the betterment of others.
    Yes - he was genuinely brave and actually walked the walk not simply talked about helping.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Paoli said:

The Tories got 32% in 2005 too to be fair but had a working majority 10 years later
    And, indeed, took over the government (as head of a coalition) just five years after getting just 32%.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Hmmm what could this big Bernie tape be?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    nunu2 said:

Hmmm what could this big Bernie tape be?

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/1216437736628019203?s=20

It is Project Vertias jobbie, so caveat emptor. More often than not they have got some staffers on secret camera after 3 too many drinks and spliced together the worst bits without context.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Living in Los Angeles, I know a lot of Persians / Iranians.

Their view is that Tehran is (largely) a Western liberal city, where women expect to be educated, and where the regime is unpopular.

Outside of Tehran, Iran is a much more conservative, Islamist place, where women's education is actively blocked.

Their view is that the regime wouldn't last a week if Iran was just Tehran. But they also recognise that city folk, with their loose morals, aren't that popular in the countryside.

If the regime does fall, it's probably going to result in a significant drop in world oil production (Iran is c. 4%), which is great for Russia, Texas and Alberta, but not great for the UK, Japan, South Korea or the EU.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

In the US, local municipalities typically subsidise airports, recognising the economic benefits that come from better connectivity.
    It's also much more important for internal administration, of course, which is one difference between there and the UK.

I wonder how many MPs fly to/from their constituencies. Surely all the NI members and everyone north of the Central Belt.
  • Options
    Sports Update :

Wayne Warren defeats Jim Williams 7-4 in the BDO world darts championship to become the oldest winner in history.

Joe Perry defeated Ding Junhui earlier to book his place in the quarter final of the Snooker Masters.

Mark Selby Vs Ali Carter is currently 4-4 (first to six).
  • Options

Sports Update :

Wayne Warren defeats Jim Williams 7-4 in the BDO world darts championship to become the oldest winner in history.

Joe Perry defeated Ding Junhui earlier to book his place in the quarter final of the Snooker Masters.

Loose definition of sport....BDO darts these days ain't much better than local pub league darts.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Nice obit.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

It's also much more important for internal administration, of course, which is one difference between there and the UK.

I wonder how many MPs fly to/from their constituencies. Surely all the NI members and everyone north of the Central Belt.
    Yes, the distances in the US practically mandate everywhere has a decent airport.

Separately... If I were an MP in Cornwall, I'd probably fly to Newquay.
  • Options

Brighton is a liberal hotspot attracting incomers. Because of this house prices go up and people who can't afford to live in Brighton moved to Hove which has now become like Brighton. In turn people who can't afford to live in Hove are moving to East Worthing and Shoreham which is going the same way (e.g. this seat voted for Brexit but only had a very small swing to the Tories in 2019). Effectively liberal seats cluster together. Another good example is Chingford which is moving towards Lab as people who are priced out of Hackney move in.

In terms of seats trending Con, I would argue that in places like Bassetlaw, there is not much movement of people into the seat. Instead the change is driven more by the existing population changing their political views e.g. traditional allegiences to Lab dying off. While this has sped up in the last 2 elections, it is easy to see that the change started some time before that. I would argue that some of the change over time is due to gradual acceptability of not voting Lab / voting Ukip/Brexit/Con - essentially if your friends stop voting Labour it is easier to make the change as well.

I'm not familiar with Bassetlaw, but isn't it likely that the residual population will become more conservative as young people leave for university and rarely return? Tory advocates of boundary reform might like to consider this before rushing in.
  • Options
    TheGreenMachineTheGreenMachine Posts: 1,043
    edited January 2020

Sports Update :

Loose definition of sport....BDO darts these days ain't much better than local pub league darts.
    Correct, I'd agree but that's down to money.

Although, that final was a high standard.
  • Options
    Flybe, Europe’s biggest regional airline, was locked in survival talks on Sunday night less than a year after being bailed out by a Virgin Atlantic-led consortium.

Sky News can exclusively reveal that Flybe, which handles over half of Britain's domestic flights outside London, has been trying to secure additional financing amid mounting losses.

https://news.sky.com/story/regional-airline-flybe-in-frantic-bid-to-stave-off-collapse-11907407
  • Options
    Buckingham Palace fears Sussexes could go public with damaging accusations if plans are thwarted

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/12/buckingham-palace-fears-sussexes-could-go-public-damaging-accusations/

This is all getting very nasty. Who knows who is briefing against who, but clearly the relationship between the Firm and Harry / Meghan has broken down.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Yes, the distances in the US practically mandate everywhere has a decent airport.

FlyBe in trouble.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    edited January 2020
    viewcode said:

Navy
    1) Get more planes for the carriers. The F35B is the only plane that can use them, but they're hideously expensive and we don't have enough of them. So either buy more or um, do something:

This is the type of hardware focused thinking that has got us in the shit we're in. You can have as many jets on the deck as you want and it makes no difference if there is no crew. The F-35B purchasing schedule is deliberately paced to match the derisory output of trained pilots from the catastrophically privatised training system.

It now takes 8 years for a new pilot to get to their first operational squadron. In my day it took 3. This has another unfortunate effect in that is raises the average age of crew into the range were they have families and are therefore not keen on out-of-area deployments. This hurts retention which worsens the crew shortage even more...
  • Options

Buckingham Palace fears Sussexes could go public with damaging accusations if plans are thwarted

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/12/buckingham-palace-fears-sussexes-could-go-public-damaging-accusations/

This is all getting very nasty. Who knows who is briefing against who, but clearly the relationship between the Firm and Harry / Meghan has broken down.

Is it true that Meghan has prevented her seriously ill dad from seeing baby Archie?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    justin124 said:

I think the big anti- Labour swing in their heartland areas in 2019 is likely to have been Brexit and Corbyn specific in terms of its scale. How much of that will be reversed when both factors cease to be relevant remains to be seen.

One of those two factors certainly won't cease to be relevant if the successor is someone self-defined as the continuity candidate after giving Corbyn 10 out of 10 and who will be forever reminded of that should she win.

The task is huge and there has to be a palpable change of direction. We're starting from a situation where Labour is 178 seats behind the Conservatives' tally, based on the notional results in 600 seats of the delayed boundary changes (cf Electoral Calculus). To put that in perspective, after 1992 we were 65 seats behind out of 650 seats.

I am not completely pessimistic because there is the prospect of a number of disparate factors at work, but it probably requires all to come into conjuction at once i.e.
    - The Tories failing to deliver on the very high expectations they raised
    - Johnson coming to be seen as a combination of a charlatan and buffoon by the very people who backed him
    - The EU ceasing to be an issue of major political importance and Labour ceasing to try and make it one
    - Labour being led by someone who is seen to make a decisive break with the last 4 years whilst keeping all wings together with a renewed sense of party unity as a broad church
    - Unforeseen events and luck, generally.
  • Options

Flybe, Europe’s biggest regional airline, was locked in survival talks on Sunday night less than a year after being bailed out by a Virgin Atlantic-led consortium.

Sky News can exclusively reveal that Flybe, which handles over half of Britain's domestic flights outside London, has been trying to secure additional financing amid mounting losses.

https://news.sky.com/story/regional-airline-flybe-in-frantic-bid-to-stave-off-collapse-11907407

Flybe provided excellent service from Cardiff with their Embraer fleet, which were always full. The routes have been cut and only Bombardier Dash 600s are in use. I no longer use Flybe, I fly easyJet from Bristol for work.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828

Are H and Meg actually trying to blackmail the Queen? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

Navy
    1) Get more planes for the carriers. The F35B is the only plane that can use them, but they're hideously expensive and we don't have enough of them. So either buy more or um, do something:

This is the type of hardware focused thinking that has got us in the shit we're in. You can have as many jets on the deck as you want and it makes no difference if there is no crew. The F-35B purchasing schedule is deliberately paced to match the derisory output of trained pilots from the catastrophically privatised training system.

It now takes 8 years for a new pilot to get to their first operational squadron. In my day it took 3. This has another unfortunate effect in that is raises the average age of crew into the range were they have families and are therefore not keen on out-of-area deployments. This hurts retention which worsens the crew shortage even more...
    Fair enough. Consider the statement modified to include "...and all people trained adequately and quicker..." and "...all equipment upgraded to the latest variant..." and "...all availability rates to be 80% or over..." and "...all activities to be frequently rehearsed via exercises..." and so on. But I didn't want to swamp the OP.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Are H and Meg actually trying to blackmail the Queen? :open_mouth:
    "Sometimes I get the feeling people think I don't love my daughter. I do love her very much," he said. "I would love nothing more than to put a picture of Archie in a frame and place it beside the one of Meghan."

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/09/03/duchess-meghan-dad-thomas-markle-begs-reconnect-meet-baby-archie/2195683001/
  • Options

I'm not familiar with Bassetlaw, but isn't it likely that the residual population will become more conservative as young people leave for university and rarely return? Tory advocates of boundary reform might like to consider this before rushing in.
    Change in age profile in places (simplistically, young people leaving Smalltown and never coming back) seems to be part of the story;

https://www.citymetric.com/politics/how-age-and-economics-explains-why-northern-seats-workington-are-turning-tory-4879
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

FlyBe in trouble.
    Are they going bust?
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    Things are comfortingly normal weatherwise in Murmansk.

https://twitter.com/theo_merz/status/1216344088020226048?s=20
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Interesting blazer over puffer jacket look Sadiq has got going on.

https://twitter.com/marcelabenede10/status/1216375999098695680?s=21

Sadiq looking decidedly unimpressed at the possibility of being hugged by the crazy lady
  • Options

Motorway constituencies such as Bassetlaw are seeing significant house building.

So while they might lose people in the 18-24 age group they will gain in young families looking for affordable housing and without the stresses of urban life.
This discussion has been closed.