Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What sort of fool would have predicted the politics of 2020 in

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

If there's another referendum, I am confident independence will win. There isn't a consensus for the Union anymore and the British, not Scottish, crowd only make up a 25% hardcore, not enough to win a50% vote.

As a somewhat convicted unionist, I wonder if our energies are better spent trying to make a success of independence rather than arguing about process. Brexit is an example to avoid I think. Not only is it a bad idea from my point of view, but Leavers/Tories are going about it in the most cackhanded, divisive and destructive way possible. Can't we do better than that?

I have always said that the SNP have gone about this the dence now is a vote for considerable hardship.
    David, how do you build anything when the vast majority of your budget is determined by and controlled by Westminster. The SNP have virtually what London wants.

Why would it not do as well as similarly sized, located and resourced countries like Ireland, Norway and Denmark?
    I agree - Though there would be sacrifices,on the weaponisation of people's most negative instincts.
    You can only treat people like crap for bout.
    Scotland voted YES.
    Based on it being only way to stay in the EU and on a shedload of promises, all BROKEN, usual lies and cheating the mugs get every time.
    So, you appear to be stating that if you leave the UK you leave the EU.

You had better play nice with Spain then....
    Spain is not a problem. There is a constitutional way for Scotland to leave the UK. There is no constitutional way for Catalonia to leave Spain.
    Yes there is, by constitutional amendmemt just the Federal Spanish government is unlikely to agree that and simply arrested Catalan nationalists when they held an illegal referendum and declared UDI

The Spanish government, like the UK government, doesn’t arrest anyone.

The Spanish police and civil guard arrested Catalan nationalists on behalf of the Spanish government if they had not already fled into exile
    No - only the courts can authorise such arrests in Spain.
    They were arrested and jailed for sedition against the Spanish state after the Spanish government refused a Catalan independence referendum
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris and his partner Carrie Symonds save the taxpayer thousands by flying BA economy to their winter New Year break at a villa in Mystique in the Caribbean

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7832423/Prime-Minister-girlfriend-Carrie-Symonds-help-taxpayers-flying-British-Airways-economy.html

If I was as loaded as him and the prime minister I certainly wouldn’t be flying economy. Sod the hair shirt nonsense. My wife wouldn’t be too happy either.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    HYUFD said:

Boris and his partner Carrie Symonds save the taxpayer thousands by flying BA economy to their winter New Year break at a villa in Mystique in the Caribbean

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7832423/Prime-Minister-girlfriend-Carrie-Symonds-help-taxpayers-flying-British-Airways-economy.html

I bet his security detail are fucking furious at the PM. They would have been hoping for a nice seat in Biz, and free champagne. Haha
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

HYUFD said:

If I was as loaded as him and the prime minister I certainly wouldn’t be flying economy. Sod the hair shirt nonsense. My wife wouldn’t be too happy either.
    Well at least Carrie can look forward to a Caribbean beach and pool rather than the walking weekend in Wales Philip May had on his wife's break
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    HYUFD said:

They bought Economy tickets, or they actually travelled in Economy Class?

The former I could believe, but there's no chance that BA wouldn't upgrade the PM given half a chance!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350

HYUFD said:

I seem to remember Cameron making the same mistake and SamCam being less than impressed.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

The former I could believe, but there's no chance that BA wouldn't upgrade the PM given half a chance!
    Read the article. BA aren't allowed to upgrade a PM, because "corruption"

It seems ridiculous to me. If the PM is gonna have a £20k holiday, then no one is going to be impressed by him flying Eek to "save money". It's a silly gesture.

Boris should accept his role as the Merrie Monarch, who cheers people up, but obviously enjoys himself, too. People will nod that through. What they don't like is hypocrisy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

If there's another referendum, I am confident independence will win. There isn't a consensus for the Union anymore and the British, not Scottish, crowd only make up a 25% hardcore, not enough to win a50% vote.

As a somewhat convicted unionist, I wonder if our energies are better spent trying to make a success of independence rather than arguing about process. Brexit is an example to avoid I think. Not only is it a bad idea from my point of view, but Leavers/Tories are going about it in the most cackhanded, divisive and destructive way possible. Can't we do better than that?

I have always said that the SNP have gone about this the dence now is a vote for considerable hardship.
    David, how do you build anything when the vast majority of your budget is determined by and controlled by Westminster. The SNP have virtually what London wants.

Why would it not do as well as similarly sized, located and resourced countries like Ireland, Norway and Denmark?
    I agree - Though there would be sacrifices,on the weaponisation of people's most negative instincts.
    You can only treat people like crap for bout.
    Scotland voted YES.
    Based on it being only way to stay in the EU and on a shedload of promises, all BROKEN, usual lies and cheating the mugs get every time.
    So, you appear to be stating that if you leave the UK you leave the EU.

You had better play nice with Spain then....
    Spain is not a problem. There is a constitutional way for Scotland to leave the UK. There is no constitutional way for Catalonia to leave Spain.
    Yes there is, by constitutional amendmemt just the Federal Spanish government is unlikely to agree that and simply arrested Catalan nationalists when they held an illegal referendum and declared UDI

The Spanish government, like the UK government, doesn’t arrest anyone.

No - only the courts can authorise such arrests in Spain.
    They were arrested and jailed for sedition against the Spanish state after the Spanish government refused a Catalan independence referendum
    yes what a crime, fascist state
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Read the article. BA aren't allowed to upgrade a PM, because "corruption"

It seems ridiculous to me. If the PM is gonna have a £20k holiday, then no one is going to be impressed by him flying Eek to "save money". It's a silly gesture.

Boris should accept his role as the Merrie Monarch, who cheers people up, but obviously enjoys himself, too. People will nod that through. What they don't like is hypocrisy.
    Whilst I agree I suspect a statistically insignificant number will have even noticed one way or the other. Pointless. An unusual mistake from Boris.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131

HYUFD said:

Bet Mansfield Man approves....
  • Options
    Good effort from England on day 3. Still a very, very long way to go but SA having to work for it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,915

Jonathan said:

A miserable decade, with next to no redeeming events. The U.K. peaked in 2012 with the Olympics. The failure to deal seriously with climate change will damn us. We chose nostalgia and nationalism instead.

It’s probably been the best decade for humanity in the entire history of mankind.
    I'll see your 2010-2019 and raise you 1990-1999. Fall of the Soviet Union. Unforgiven, Pulp Fiction, the Matrix, and Friends on the telly. The news was real news, nobody was anti-vax, Eastern Europe was liberated, and it was one big long boom. It even had the Rachel cut.
  • Options
    NorthernPowerhouseNorthernPowerhouse Posts: 557
    edited December 2019

HYUFD said:

Bet Mansfield Man approves....
    I doubt he does. “Who is he kidding, they’re both minted”. People elected posh coke sniffing, rat up a drain pipe licentious and immoral in pretty much everything he does in full knowledge of what he is ‘boris’. He doesn’t need to do that crap.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

One class upgrade policy, have to book premium economy to get upgraded to club!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Jonathan said:

A miserable decade, with next to no redeeming events. The U.K. peaked in 2012 with the Olympics. The failure to deal seriously with climate change will damn us. We chose nostalgia and nationalism instead.

It’s probably been the best decade for humanity in the entire history of mankind.
    I'll see your 2010-2019 and raise you 1990-1999. Fall of the Soviet Union. Unforgiven, Pulp Fiction, the Matrix, and Friends on the telly. The news was real news, nobody was anti-vax, Eastern Europe was liberated, and it was one big long boom. It even had the Rachel cut.
    I think it’s the scale of advancement in China, India and South America that nails it. Also an end to world hunger.
  • Options
    Off Topic

Mark Felix Should Be Giving A Knighthood Or An Honour.

• Options
    The problem with DevoMax is this. If it happened, the calls for a full-blooded EVEL would be impossible to resist, which would mean Scottish MPs would be barred from voting on probably most of the policies of a Labour government. You could have a situation where a Labour government was in power on the back of regaining the 41 seats it had prior to 2015, but was unable to pass its own budget because the Tories had a majority of MPs in England and Wales. A literal zombie government. I somehow can't see Labour signing up to that.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Incidentally, if David Herdson is still around, I'd be curious if he voted in the end in GE 2019.

I remember, after resigning from the Tories, DH said he felt politically rather homeless.

(I did not vote).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Fucking hell, how incompetent can you get?

New Year Honours: 1,000 addresses published in error
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50929543
  • Options

The problem with DevoMax is this. If it happened, the calls for a full-blooded EVEL would be impossible to resist, which would mean Scottish MPs would be barred from voting on probably most of the policies of a Labour government. You could have a situation where a Labour government was in power on the back of regaining the 41 seats it had prior to 2015, but was unable to pass its own budget because the Tories had a majority of MPs in England and Wales. A literal zombie government. I somehow can't see Labour signing up to that.

I thought that was more or less the case now. Did Labour have repealing the current EVEL procedure in their 2019 manifesto (irrelevant thing that that is)?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Incidentally, if David Herdson is still around, I'd be curious if he voted in the end in GE 2019.

I remember, after resigning from the Tories, DH said he felt politically rather homeless.

(I did not vote).

I think a great many people ended up voting anti Corbyn.

This makes Boris Johnston's job a little bit harder than his sweeping victory suggests.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

The captain has complete discretion. I've seen Economy to First upgrades at the whim of the Captain.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

What a load of old rubbish.
  • Options

The correct solution is an English Parliament, and equal legislative and tax-raising powers to the four states.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

The captain has complete discretion. I've seen Economy to First upgrades at the whim of the Captain.
    On the plane, the guy with four stripes can do pretty much whatever he wants.

Not sure if they still do, but BA captains used to carry a genuinely unlimited company credit card - good for 400 hotel rooms and 100 tons of fuel, should it be required.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    Looks like Premium Economy to me.
  • Options
    Hello all. Some of you may recognise me as the current Administrator of the Vote UK Forum. It's been a while since my last visit here but I would like, if I may, to put in my tuppence worth about the events of two weeks ago.

I believe the success of the Conservatives in seats located in the North and Midlands is the start of something permanent.
    Labour has been benefiting from demographic change in London, Brighton, Bristol and so on inexorably since about 1992. Scores of seats such as Streatham and Brent North which were once reliably Tory have been lost forever. This was making the likelihood of a Conservative overall majority increasingly unlikely.

I don't believe this was a sustainable situation. Democracy was being stretched to its limits, and something had to give: those seats in the North and Midlands. I don't see Labour simply bouncing back there once the Brexit Party is gone. The new MPs will likely enjoy a double incumbency bounce, and in a fair proportion of them the Tory increases were greater than the Brexit Party share. There were also about 10 such seats where the Conservatives won over 50% of the vote.

I'm not saying Labour are finished forever in those seats the Tories gained, but it's going to be considerably harder for them going forward. Given that just under a quarter of Labour seats are now situated in London, Labour would be best off electing a northerner, such as Lisa Nandy as their leader. Wigan is close to Leigh, after all.

This discussion has been closed.