Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP within 5 points of taking Thanet South according to ne

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP within 5 points of taking Thanet South according to new constituency poll. CON slips from 1st to 3rd

The Thanet South survey is being released now because the seat has had a lot of attention with the incumbent CON MP saying she’ll step down at GE2015 and the reported interest of Nigel Farage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    LD - definitely not winning here.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Ridiculous voodoo flash-in-the-pan mid-term Walter Mitty poujadist Middle England reactionary country bumpkin unrepresentative cool and calm reflection hysterical nonsense Himmler was a nincompoop but anyway.
  • Options
    Wonder if this seat was in the Ascroft marginal poll and if so, is this swing bigger than was reported a few months back across the marginals or about the same?

Either way, bad poll for the PB Hodges.
  • Options
    "Again this question suggests that the line, “vote UKIP get Miliband” is at best ineffective here in South Thanet (where UKIP topped the polls in May) and possibly counterproductive for the Conservatives. In addition, as shown in the previous question, almost as many UKIP voters would vote Labour as Conservative if UKIP were removed from the equation, implying that these UKIP voters here might actually prefer Ed Miliband to become Prime Minister than Cameron." The PB Hodges nightmare.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited November 2013
    The 2010 result was Con 48, Lab 31, LD 15, UKIP 6

So LD should be -10, rather than -15, and Labour should be +4, rather than +5.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/thanetsouth/
  • Options
    I have amended the chart. I got the LDs change figure wrong. This has now been corrected
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2013
    I assume Survation are going to poll most of the 10 seats where UKIP received the most votes in this year's local elections:

Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Sittingbourne & Sheppey
    Forest of Dean
    Aylesbury
    Great Yarmouth
    Boston & Skegness
    Worthing East & Shoreham

http://survation.com/2013/05/ukip-won-in-8-westminster-constituencies-last-thursday/

UKIP also probably won most votes in Camborne & Redruth although there the picture was a bit muddied due to a high Independent showing.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    On the previous thread NP said he expected UKIP to get 7-10% in Broxtowe. If that's true UKIP are heading for at least 10% at GE2015 because Broxtowe is probably not better than average territory for the party.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Lab gain, not UKIP.
  • Options
    Thanks - worth noting the base sizes - as OGH points out these polls are difficult to do, so while any research is welcome, the MOE is substantially greater than we are used to in typical polls. So, for example the "if No UKIP candidate standing" question the Con number is 21 +/-19 - somewhere in the range 2 - 40.

That said it will provide useful ammunition for UKIP election leaflets where such details get lost.....
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Farage is busy sending not very subtle messages to the tory party (aimed at tory MPs in marginals) while the kipper vote remains stubbornly high and well, well above the 3% of 2010.
    Luke ‏@lukeblackheath

"Nigel Farage: I won't rule out a Ukip pact with David Cameron" http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/444364/Nigel-Farage-I-won-t-rule-out-a-Ukip-pact-with-David-Cameron
    Perhaps he'll have more to say on which seat he might stand and Cast Iron Cammie's Referendum today?
    Nigel Farage ‏@Nigel_Farage 20m

Scheduled to appear on @BBCr4today at 7:09 this morning.
  • Options

Lab gain, not UKIP.

I'm prepared to bet any sum of money that Labour won't win Thanet South in 2015. The winner IMO will be either Tory or UKIP.
  • Options
    Indie has best headline on Plebgate:

Spokes, lies and videotape:
    Police 'still not telling truth over Plebgate,' says Andrew Mitchell as officer Pc Keith Wallis to be charged with misconduct in public office

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/spokes-lies-and-videotape-police-are-still-not-telling-truth-over-plebgate-says-andrew-mitchell-as-officer-pc-keith-wallis-to-be-charged-with-misconduct-in-public-office-8964589.html
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Must PB have an orgasm over every poll that burps !!

Survation - Tsk - about as much use as Celtic in the Champions League and a whole sample of ... wait for it ... 515 - Utterly laughable.

It might have been worthy of a Nighthawks thread by-line at number 24 below discussion of TSE's latest shoe fetish but .... please not a main discussion on this august organ !!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    AndyJS said:

Lab gain, not UKIP.

I'm prepared to bet any sum of money that Labour won't win Thanet South in 2015. The winner IMO will be either Tory or UKIP.
    Shouldn't you be more confident on UKIP ? This isn't an either or seat, this is one of UKIP's best chances and they're still coming second.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Farage going big on immigration on R4 proving yet again that there is no way on earth Cammie can outkip the kippers. A lesson the chumocracy should have learned from the May locals with Osbrowne and Crosby's incompetent master strategising.

Farage now mentioning this poll.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ScottishSun: Good morning from your No.1 Scottish Sun. Here is today's front page: #scotpapers http://t.co/PXkw92PDLC
  • Options
  • Options
    Constable Chaos ‏@ConstableChaos 6h

Plebgate row: Mitchell resignation was still necessary, says Cameron aide http://gu.com/p/3ky4b/tw via @guardian
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    If Ukip did not stand in the constituency, 41% said they would not vote, 22% said they would vote Conservative, 19% Labour, 4% for other parties and 13% did not know. On those figures, Labour would still win the seat.

That's the most interesting piece for me.

I know it's not the same as the 2010 votes cast by UKIP voters, but it does suggest that there is a high NOTA element (as we have all suspected) and that the 22/19 split Con/Lab suggests that UKIP is appealing across the political spectrum.

I would assume, though, that the UKIP/NOTA group would be much more likely not to vote than other party supporters (and I suspect we may not see this until the day as it is cost free to make a statement in response to a poll). I think one of the pollsters (ICM?) adjusts for this...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Looking at the figures published by te BBC the countrywith the greatest number of "benefit tourists" is Cyprus. That wouldn't be retired Brits with sunstroke, would it?
  • Options
    Anyone want a bet on this constituency for 2015 - I say UKIP poll 30% or under?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    tim said:

Mick_Pork said:

Farage going big on immigration on R4 proving yet again that there is no way on earth Cammie can outkip the kippers. A lesson the chumocracy should have learned from the May locals with Osbrowne and Crosby's incompetent master strategising.

Farage now mentioning this poll.

It's almost as if they were stupid enough to bring Crosby in to stoke up fears of immigrants, realise it helped UKIP, spend 6 months ignoring it and then started panicking 5 weeks before the Bulgarian hordes arrive.

Of course none of this was forseeable.

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 3m
    David Cameron's benefit curbs for EU migrants still "far too generous" says @nigel_farage @ukip @BBCr4today

How much is Lynton being paid to miss this stuff?

Farage is always going to laugh at Cammie's posturing and Osbrowne/Crosby's master strategising. They can never outkip the kippers as everyone knows by now.
    Martin Cole ‏@IroniesToo 4m

#Farage on #BBC R4 Today points out Cam/Clegg proposal lets Ro/Bulgarian newcomers from 1stJan get all benefits after 12 weeks. #UKIP fox OK

David Miller ‏@DavidDusty1978 5m

A few shaky-kneed Tories on here today complaining about Nigel Farage getting airtime to discuss Cameron's idea re benefits. I wonder why..
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Apart from the obvious implications noted by others, interesting to look at the "what if your party wasn't standing here?" questions for the other parties too. If Labour didn't stand, 80% of Labour voters wouldn't vote, don't know, or would go for a party not listed (Green, TUSC, Respect, another party not yet in existence?). Only 10% would go LibDem, 7% Con, 3% UKIP. That suggests that in Thanet at least, the scope for the other parties to erode the Labour vote is very limited - they don't even get the vote if Labour isn't there at all.

For the Tories, only 57% decline to opt for a named alternative. 25% would go UKIP, 13% LibDem, 5% Labour. That suggests the remaining Tory vote is actually still fragile and possibly vulnerable to real meltdown if the idea that UKIP can win takes hold.

One caveat - the sample is well weighted for geography in the constituency, but not by past vote. With a small sample, that's a risk. But the poll may be a self-fulfilling prophecy anyway - the UKIP leaflets write themselves.
  • Options
    Incidentally, today's YG has a 61-27 No on independence in the Scottish sample (and much the same everywhere else). YG's panel consistently has lower SNP scores than other pollsters so take this with caution, but it's a pretty massive gap. Almost no shifts in leader ratings.
  • Options
    @tim

All their master strategies are short term and squarely aimed at trying to minimise the damage. They are aimed at disgruntled tory backbenchers just as much as disaffected tory voters. They keep hoping that buying a few more months will somehow enable Farage to implode all by himself. There's still no sign of Farage doing that in the Robert Kilroy-Silk manner they clearly require. After the January immigration row really starts there's the EU elections not too long after. That's when tory MPs will likely put huge pressure on Cammie.
  • Options

Anyone want a bet on this constituency for 2015 - I say UKIP poll 30% or under?

No, because I think if UKIP were to win Thanet South it could be with something like 29.5%, just ahead of Con and Lab on about 28% each.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and desperate stuff. Did they poll 500 voters in a Labour ward? When did Survation ever correctly predict an election? Let's see if come GE2015 UKIP get more than 5% and keep their deposit.
  • Options
    Chris Coltrane ‏@chris_coltrane 13h

"Accommodation expenses claimed by MPs who voted in favour could pay the bedroom tax of 230,000 people for a year." http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/nov/19/mps-bedroom-tax-hypocrisy-block-of-flats

Marcus Chown ‏@marcuschown

Benefit fraud: 0.7%. MPs' expenses fraud: ~30%. (Question: Where is the "benefit culture"?) http://www.tinyurl.com/7bbuulk
  • Options
    German deal done, including compulsory minimum wage at around £7/hour and relaxation of naturalisation laws for immgrant families:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/27/angela-merkel-forms-germany-coalition
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    One thing which is quite clear this morning is that if the English media is as representative of its population as I suspect it is, the English couldn't care less if Scotland votes YES on 18th September. A picture of Eck and Nippy Sweetie on the front of the FT and that's it. Whether a celebrity chef took illegal drugs appears to be more important than the future of the country.
  • Options
    Curiouser & curiouser.....

Benedict Brogan re-tweets: "Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo says UK papers intercepted Gibraltar border were not in diplomatic bag so no law breach"
  • Options

German deal done, including compulsory minimum wage at around £7/hour and relaxation of naturalisation laws for immgrant families:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/27/angela-merkel-forms-germany-coalition

Greetings from Sofia (no, really)

Any comment on treaty renegotiation? I think the SPD made some negative noises early on, but wondering where it came out in the end?
  • Options
    @tim - so how many of Miliband's PMQs will be on this do you think?

Unlike him to ignore a passing band wagon.....
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited November 2013
    O/T. Sad news today

Irrespective of your politics mourn the passing of Auricaria.

My wife is very sad. I never could do even one clue :-)
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Which of Ed Balls's researchers is paid for by the Co-op's Rev Paul Flowers? http://t.co/5lGRxPvoAU
  • Options

One thing which is quite clear this morning is that if the English media is as representative of its population as I suspect it is, the English couldn't care less if Scotland votes YES on 18th September. A picture of Eck and Nippy Sweetie on the front of the FT and that's it. Whether a celebrity chef took illegal drugs appears to be more important than the future of the country.

The apposite word is "vellity".

We'd be kind of sad to see you go, but if you must then go on, can't really be bothered to do anything to stop you.

(Best example of use is if you are watching something terrible on TV, but can't be bothered to get up and pick up the remote to change channel you might have a "vellity" for it)
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Interesting poll. Did anyone expect a different result? Wait until people are actually choosing a government rather than sticking up two fingers.

Among those certain to vote (59%); excluding DK/refused:

Lab 36%
    Con 29%
    Ukip 27%
    Oth 8%
  • Options
    Whether the UKIPers voted in the last election seems a pretty key point to me. If they didn't they could be considered pretty flakey in terms of reliability to vote in 2015. More importantly, is the Tory rightward push aimed at folk who generally cannot be bothered to go to the polls? If so, they may well be focusing their strategy on people whose votes will never be dependable while actively alienating those who we know do vote (2010 LD and Labour voters, for example).
  • Options

Or - contrary to Charles' 'vellity', a word which I'll try to use over the next few days - is it more that the UK-wide media and general public feel it's a decision for Scots to take, and for everyone else to step aside from? Not that we don't care, so much as feel it's not really our decision to intervene in.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Easterross, there are a few factors in play. There are people who are genuinely apathetic, but those who are interested in this sort of thing may well be feeling the fatigue of debate already (over 9 months still to go, everyone). It's also, as mentioned below, a decision for Scots. Salmond may be doing a competent job of driving the nation apart, but that won't help foster good relations if Yes actually wins.

Personally, I hope No wins decisively.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

515 sample size gives a 5.19% confidence interval at a confidence level of 99%
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Charles said:

Any comment on treaty renegotiation? I think the SPD made some negative noises early on, but wondering where it came out in the end?
    Is the wine stall as good in Bulgaria? Haven't been since it stopped being Red.
  • Options
    EU Commissioner on R4 completely tone deaf - "British people have got it wrong"......if that's the argument you want to make, there are better ways to make it...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think that the mindset of most English is that of the Walkaway Spouse.

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/divorce-busting/200803/the-walkaway-wife-syndrome

I think few care deeply whether Scotland leaves or stays in the Union (and no doubt many Scots are in the same camp). What
    Most want is for the moaning to stop, and if that requires a divorce then so be it.

This lack of interest in Scotlands decision and debate does not mean that there will be lack of interest in the terms of seperation. My experience is that divorces get much more hostile as soon as the Lawyers start looking at the assets.

Or - contrary to Charles' 'vellity', a word which I'll try to use over the next few days - is it more that the UK-wide media and general public feel it's a decision for Scots to take, and for everyone else to step aside from? Not that we don't care, so much as feel it's not really our decision to intervene in.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Has anyone got a link for the Ladbrokes odds? I can't find any constituency betting from them, it's like they've taken it all down.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/divorce-busting/200803/the-walkaway-wife-syndrome

I think few care deeply whether Scotland leaves or stays in the Union (and no doubt many Scots are in the same camp). What
    Most want is for the moaning to stop, and if that requires a divorce then so be it.

This lack of interest in Scotlands decision and debate does not mean that there will be lack of interest in the terms of seperation. My experience is that divorces get much more hostile as soon as the Lawyers start looking at the assets.

I agree.

Dear Scotland: Please just get on with it and leave.
    That way we can be the ones to moan for special attention.

Yours Sincerely,
    The North-East of England

• Options
    For those who can read Spanish El Pais has done a piece on an independent Scotland's position vis a vis EU membership under the headline "Brussels warns Edinburgh that it will have to request membership if it divorces from London".

There's nothing new in that, but this bit is interesting:

La Comisión considera que el tratado (en su artículo 49) es claro en lo que respecta a un tercer país que solicite la adhesión a la UE. Pero los nacionalistas escoceses lo ven de otra manera: Escocia es un territorio que ya está dentro de la UE y en caso de una independencia pactada bastaría con alterar los tratados, siempre con el acuerdo de cada uno de los Veintiocho. Eso emparenta directamente a Escocia con Cataluña: Alex Salmond ha tratado de desligar por todos los medios la cuestión escocesa de la catalana —con el argumento de que Escocia no sentaría ningún precedente para Cataluña, repetido una y mil veces en Edimburgo— para evitar un eventual veto español, mientras que los políticos catalanes tratan de hacer todo lo contrario.

Rough translation:

The Commission considers that the Treaty (in article 49) is clear in laying out what would happen if a third-party country asks to become an EU member state. But the Scottish nationalists see it differently: Scotland is already inside the EU and in the case of an agreed independence it would be enough to alter existing treaties, providing there is unanimous agreement of the 28 member states. This puts Scotland in exactly the same situation as Catalonia; Alex Salmond has tried in every way to decouple the Scottish question from the Catalonian one - repeating a thousand and one times that Scotland would represent no precedent for Catalonia - in order to prevent a Spanish veto, while at the same time Catalonian politicians claim the exact opposite.

http://internacional.elpais.com/internacional/2013/11/26/actualidad/1385495775_440956
  • Options

Except you're not walking away.

Crappy, ill thought out divorce metaphor #207 in a long, long list.
  • Options

Morning all and desperate stuff. Did they poll 500 voters in a Labour ward? When did Survation ever correctly predict an election? Let's see if come GE2015 UKIP get more than 5% and keep their deposit.

With respect Easterross, English Conservatives really do not need to be taking heed of a Scottish Conservative complacently spouting about something he knows little.

It was only a few weeks ago that you were claiming that Laura Sandys was certain to be re-elected because she is the grand-daughter of Churchill. Which sounded like the forelock tugging nonsense that has contributed to the Scottish Conservatives being the most underachieveing political party in the western world.
  • Options
    Not just the North East. The East Midlands have the fewest Drs per head of any part of the UK.

English Regions are at the back of the queue for government spending, not helped by having London oriented carpetbaggers as MPs who care more for political advancement than looking after their constituents.
    Freggles said:

I agree.

Dear Scotland: Please just get on with it and leave.
    That way we can be the ones to moan for special attention.

Yours Sincerely,
    The North-East of England

• Options
    Charles said:

Can't see anything. It's not seen as a real issue in Germany - they now generally feel that no substantive renegotiation is really needed (the impetus for full fiscal union with joint policy-making has lost steam), but if the Brits come along with some minor suggestions they'll have a look.

• Options

I am certainly in a minority, but I find it endlessly fascinating. Should Scotland vote Yes it will be the most significant event to have taken place in the UK in my 50 years on this earth and the resulting upheaval will dominate everything for years to come. And even if Scotland votes No, we are going to see major changes not just in its relationship with the rest of the UK but for the way all of us are governed.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, if No wins it'll be interesting to see if the politicians finally bother to acknowledge and answer the West Lothian Question.
  • Options

Far more aposite to apply it to lib dem voters/activists walking away from Calamity Clegg.
    LCCSA ‏@lccsa 25m

Open letter to Nick Clegg: With many other members of the Justice Alliance, the association has signed an open... http://bit.ly/InzzA4

David Crow ‏@davidcrow83 2m

Nick Clegg's endorsement of the ugly Tory rhetoric / policy on immigration surely ranks with tuition fees u-turn (it's actually even worse)
  • Options

Alex Salmond has tried in every way to decouple the Scottish question from the Catalonian one - repeating a thousand and one times that Scotland would represent no precedent for Catalonia - in order to prevent a Spanish veto, while at the same time Catalonian politicians claim the exact opposite.

http://internacional.elpais.com/internacional/2013/11/26/actualidad/1385495775_440956

Surely Scotland's position is directly analogous to Catalonia? (Apart from the Edinburgh/London governments behaving like grown ups....) On what basis does Salmond claim it is not?

• Options
    In fact, the German attitude to our renegotiation ideas and membership is very like the English attitude to Scotland - no mood to make major concessions, hope we decide to stay in, but ultimately a matter for us...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

Exactly , all the unionists are begging and scaremongering to get us to stay. We will see when the shit hits the fan and they realise the hole that is blown in their economy. Reality will be a shock, the politicians know it , hence the bluster and lies.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

hence the bluster and lies.
    Harsh but fair summary of "Scotland's Future"....
  • Options
    I am also in the interested minority (and have money on Yes).
    I do expect the terms of seperation to be very acrimonious. No Scots or rUK politician could risk the electoral obliteration that would result from being a soft touch. Most divorces turn hostile, even if initially amicable, when the lawyers get started, and both parliaments are stuffed with lawyers!

I am certainly in a minority, but I find it endlessly fascinating. Should Scotland vote Yes it will be the most significant event to have taken place in the UK in my 50 years on this earth and the resulting upheaval will dominate everything for years to come. And even if Scotland votes No, we are going to see major changes not just in its relationship with the rest of the UK but for the way all of us are governed.

• Options

Mr. Observer, if No wins it'll be interesting to see if the politicians finally bother to acknowledge and answer the West Lothian Question.

It would be even more interesting if those who kept raising the WLQ finally realised Cammie and Clegg put it in the coalition agreement document and that the results of the McKay commission have been sitting on their desks for quite some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_on_the_consequences_of_devolution_for_the_House_of_Commons

• Options
    Mr. Palmer, attempts to pretend the UK/Scotland are in the same position as the EU/UK are nonsense.

Longevity - over 300 years, less than half a century (and enormous changes have recently occurred)

Representation - previous PM was Scottish and previous 2 Chancellors were Scottish, one commissioner from many and a high representative

Democracy - power has shifted from the centre to Scotland, power has been taken (often with the collusion of deceitful politicians such as Labour) from the UK to the centre (Brussels)

Cost - highly debatable (and debated), the EU is a definite net cost as we pay in a ridiculous sum each year (higher than need be thanks to Blair surrendering half the rebate because he wanted to be president one day)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

Alex Salmond has tried in every way to decouple the Scottish question from the Catalonian one - repeating a thousand and one times that Scotland would represent no precedent for Catalonia - in order to prevent a Spanish veto, while at the same time Catalonian politicians claim the exact opposite.

Surely Scotland's position is directly analogous to Catalonia? (Apart from the Edinburgh/London governments behaving like grown ups....) On what basis does Salmond claim it is not?

So when was Catalonia ever a standalone country. It was a principality and also a republic for a while but it did not have centuries of tradition as a country. I know the Catalans consider themselves to be Catalan , so whilst they have it as a nationality they are completely different from Scotland.
  • Options

It is exactly the same. And that's why Spain will veto automatic EU membership for Scotland. Even under the best case scenario put forward by the SNP - which the Commission has repeatedly rejected - Spain would have to agree. There is just no way round that. Hence Salmond's claims that the two situations are not analogous. No-one believes that though.

• Options
    Still no news from the Nats on Nukes...

A U-turn too far, even for them?
  • Options
    It's so confusing - is Cameron being UKIP-lite or Labour? Funny world...

Ian Birrell‏@ianbirrell13m
    Yet more proof that pretending to be Ukip-lite does not help the Tories http://gu.com/p/3kyy7/tw via @guardian

Labour Press Team‏@labourpress11m
    .@bbc4today has no Labour rep despite fact it's Cameron playing catch up with Labour on migration.
  • Options

I do expect the terms of seperation to be very acrimonious. No Scots or rUK politician could risk the electoral obliteration that would result from being a soft touch. Most divorces turn hostile, even if initially amicable, when the lawyers get started, and both parliaments are stuffed with lawyers!

Hmm, good point. And it lends further weight to the criticism of the SNP's big report, that it makes promises (notably on the pound and EU membership) which aren't going to be solely within the new Scottish government's remit to deliver on.

And there really seems to be a pattern here on PB that the pro-independence counter to the above points is 'Lies and bluster', 'Scaremongering' and, what's the other one, 'You're just saying we're too poor, too wee, too stupid'. How about you actually counter the points, perhaps...?
  • Options
    Also to be fair - if Survation can come up with this for their UKIP client, then Dan Hodges poll might well exist too...
  • Options
    Mr. Pork, all Westminster politicians have been studiously ignoring the blatant and necessary West Lothian Question for a long time. It was obvious upon Scottish devolution that the status quo in England was unjust but the clowns in London failed not only to answer the question, but even to ask it.

The closest thing to a response was Labour's despicable and feeble attempt to break up England into limp-wristed, weak-kneed, bedwetting regional assemblies.

An English Parliament is the only solution (realistically, given devolution can't be stopped entirely now).
  • Options
    'Scottish independence is a little more likely today than it was yesterday'
    ... Overton suggested there were six phases to this process. A idea would move from being unthinkable to radical to acceptable to sensible to popular before, finally, becoming policy.

Scottish independence is currently somewhere between acceptable and sensible.

... So it strikes me that asking where’s the beef? is an inadequate response to this paper. There are good reasons to be sceptical about some of its claims but that does not dent the fact that it is, on the whole, a serious publication.

And, again, its publication nudges the argument forward and makes the idea of independence seem more real, more routine, than it was yesterday. It asks us to ask ourselves what kind of country we wish to live in and that, whatever the answer we choose, is a question well-worth asking.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2013/11/scottish-independence-is-a-little-more-likely-today-than-it-was-yesterday/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

So when was Catalonia ever a standalone country. It was a principality and also a republic for a while but it did not have centuries of tradition as a country. I know the Catalans consider themselves to be Catalan , so whilst they have it as a nationality they are completely different from Scotland.

Good luck with that one!!
  • Options
    Unfortunate for the scottish tory surgers what with their love of SLAB politicians and Falkirk that they have to cheer on the likes of this.
    BillK ‏@clickma 14h

Darling expenses under scrutiny after claiming £70k for 'second' home his family live in. http://ow.ly/rcLmS #indyref #bettertogether
  • Options
    Mr. G, not my area (far too modern) but weren't there originally various kingdoms of Spain (Navarra[sp], Aragon etc?) I do think it's fair to say there's a substantial difference historically between Catalan and Scotland, but I can still see why someone might consider themselves Catalonian rather than Spanish.
  • Options

Also to be fair - if Survation can come up with this for their UKIP client, then Dan Hodges poll might well exist too...

That is a disgraceful slur. Do not repeat

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Labour are starting to make anti-immigration noises too, and out-kippering Cameron. tim to vote LD at the next election?
  • Options
    If it does come to a separation I imagine that both sides will be very keen to find a mutually acceptable settlement as rapidly as possible. We are all too integrated for anything long and messy to make any sense at all. What we end up with, though, will probably not look much like what was presented yesterday. Not that this will bother the SNP too much. What they want is independence. Everything else is just detail. Once Scotland votes Yes there is no going back, whatever final divorce terms are eventually agreed. The White Paper is not a blueprint, it is a document designed to help win a referendum.
  • Options
    Ah, Labour making anti-immigration noises. I think that'll piss off more people than it appeases.
  • Options

Mr. Pork, all Westminster politicians have been studiously ignoring the blatant and necessary West Lothian Question for a long time. It was obvious upon Scottish devolution that the status quo in England was unjust but the clowns in London failed not only to answer the question, but even to ask it.

The closest thing to a response was Labour's despicable and feeble attempt to break up England into limp-wristed, weak-kneed, bedwetting regional assemblies.

An English Parliament is the only solution (realistically, given devolution can't be stopped entirely now).

As you seem to realise the WLQ applies not only to scotland but Wales and N.I. too.
    So it does not cease to be a question should scotland decide on independence.

It will never be tackled in an all party manner that is satisfactory to labour the libdems and the tories so that leaves either a party willing to stand for election on the platform you suggest or a sufficent majority achieved by a party willing to enact voting curbs on those MPs from the devolved areas. This would of course create a two-tier system of MPs (if not more tiers than that) as well as some very peculiar ramifications for what constitutes a 'majority' for certain types of legislation.

McKay's proposals are on the thin and safe side yet I assure you that scottish labour will no more countenance them than some scottish lib dems.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    AndyJS said:

I assume Survation are going to poll most of the 10 seats where UKIP received the most votes in this year's local elections:

Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Sittingbourne & Sheppey
    Forest of Dean
    Aylesbury
    Great Yarmouth
    Boston & Skegness
    Worthing East & Shoreham

http://survation.com/2013/05/ukip-won-in-8-westminster-constituencies-last-thursday/

UKIP also probably won most votes in Camborne & Redruth although there the picture was a bit muddied due to a high Independent showing.

Mr Brown (the man who commissioned the polls) said:

"In October I commissioned Survation to undertake a series of polls, mainly in marginal and frequently Labour-held constituencies ... In particular I was interested in the relationship between UKIP and Labour and whether in some Northern areas, where the Conservative brand is badly damaged, UKIP might have actually established itself as the official opposition to Labour."

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Alan-Bown-Statement.pdf
  • Options

Mr. G, not my area (far too modern) but weren't there originally various kingdoms of Spain (Navarra[sp], Aragon etc?) I do think it's fair to say there's a substantial difference historically between Catalan and Scotland, but I can still see why someone might consider themselves Catalonian rather than Spanish.

Never mind history, Catalonia considers itself a country now:

http://catalanassembly.org/2013/09/19/barcelona-the-capital-of-our-country-catalonia-comercial-video/

• Options
    @FraserNelson: The @independent cartoonist Dave Brown has captured the essence of yesterdays's SNP White Paper launch http://t.co/x3tWLLoLsM
  • Options
    I do not share your optimism. While an amicable seperation would be in the interest of both countries and hostility would be stupid, we do know from past experience that politicians are very capable of stupidity!

The past history of similar seperations, whether Ireland and UK, Sudan and South Sudan, the Baltics or Caucuses from the Soviet Union, former Yugoslavia, or even Ukraine and USSR or Czech and Slovakia, is that relations deteriate after seperation, and so does mutual trade. It is not obvious that a Scottish rUK seperation would be different, though I am not forecasting a re-run of Culloden!

If it does come to a separation I imagine that both sides will be very keen to find a mutually acceptable settlement as rapidly as possible. We are all too integrated for anything long and messy to make any sense at all. What we end up with, though, will probably not look much like what was presented yesterday. Not that this will bother the SNP too much. What they want is independence. Everything else is just detail. Once Scotland votes Yes there is no going back, whatever final divorce terms are eventually agreed. The White Paper is not a blueprint, it is a document designed to help win a referendum.

• Options
    Capturing the essence of the incompetent fake fop.

The Times of London ‏@thetimes

Will Hug A Husky be Cameron's next green campaign? Great cartoon today from Peter Brookes http://thetim.es/fUpjuZ pic.twitter.com/uZYBBSGBgQ
  • Options
    tim said:

This'll be PMQ's I'd imagine, Cameron's targeting of disabled people

'Bedroom Tax' Leaves Disabled Fearing Eviction
    Charities say the disabled and their carers are being "forced deeper into debt" in a letter seen exclusively by Sky News.

http://news.sky.com/story/1174155/bedroom-tax-leaves-disabled-fearing-eviction

He usually proves he can't even be bothered understanding the impact.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-cameron-wrong-again-on-bedroom-tax-detail

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-cameron-slips-up-on-bedroom-tax

You forget that's yet another triumph for calamity Clegg and his inept lib dem MPs as well.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    CD13 said:

Labour are starting to make anti-immigration noises too, and out-kippering Cameron. tim to vote LD at the next election?

An excellent week for UKIP. The Mail, Cameron and even Labour all pushing voters in their direction. The other parties pretending to be tough about immigration only serves to remind the xenophobes that the only really tough party is UKIP.
  • Options
    tim said:

Not EU migration/benefits?

You surprise me!

Anyone would think Farage was the LotO.......
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

It's not a divorce because it's not a marriage. How different is life going to feel to the average Englishman if Scotland becomes a foreign country? It isn't. In England this is a Westminster bubble question, a fact which shouldn't be obscured by the big pompous concepts involved. When and how high has it ever featured in Mike's beloved salience poll?

• Options
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1m
    Office for National Statistics: economy grew by 0.8% in the third quarter of 2013

Good positive growth...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

they are completely different from Scotland.
    Indeed. They speak a different language, for one thing.....

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

tim said:

You surprise me!

If PMQs majors on immigration Farage's Christmas will come early.
  • Options

CD13 said:

An excellent week for UKIP. The Mail, Cameron and even Labour all pushing voters in their direction. The other parties pretending to be tough about immigration only serves to remind the xenophobes that the only really tough party is UKIP.
    Funnily enough one of the main drivers of people to UKIP appears to be the moronic politicians and commentators claiming that anyone who has legitimate concerns about immigration is a xenophobe. Even for those who are not particularly concerned about immigration the labelling and its consequences makes us question the sanity of most of the culprits since it is so clearly counter-productive.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Mick_Pork said:

Capturing the essence of the incompetent fake fop.

The Times of London ‏@thetimes

Will Hug A Husky be Cameron's next green campaign? Great cartoon today from Peter Brookes http://thetim.es/fUpjuZ pic.twitter.com/uZYBBSGBgQ

Will Consistent Ed think high energy bills are a very very good thing today or a very very bad thing?

Cameron is stepping away from a piece of PR crap, ed is expressly flip flopping from what he said as a minister three years ago for the sole reason he thinks it might get him into power. Truly this man is a son of Brown.

• Options

tim said:

You surprise me!

If PMQs majors on immigration Farage's Christmas will come early.
    It will almost certainly be raised as a softball by a compliant tory backbencher for Cammie to posture on. Question is whether any of the more troublesome tory backbenchers might now want Cammie to go much further and say so very publicly. Doubtful but you never know.
  • Options
    tim said:

@RichardTyndall

"Funnily enough one of the main drivers of people to UKIP appears to be the moronic politicians and commentators claiming that anyone who has legitimate concerns about immigration is a xenophobe. "

The opposite actually, UKIPs boost came when the Tories recruited Crosby and got their own supporters excited about immigration.

Salience of immigration rose from 28% to over 50% among Con voters between Dec and April, UKIP polling went from 7% to 15%

No Tim, and since you are one of those guilty of the moronic comments I am not surprised you don't like the analysis.

Given that a considerable amount of support for UKIP has come from non Tory sources your concentration on one particular bete noir for you appears to be a perfect example of Einstein's definition of insanity.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

No two countries' situation will ever be historically analogous, and Scotland is the rarity among 'nations' in having had a fairly continuous status as a nation and then as part of a peaceful union. The fact that Catalans have constantly fallen foul of the Castillian desire to stamp out any claim to nationhood in the past three centuries may even make the impulse towards independence even stronger. After all, it's only two or three generations ago that an excess of Catalan nationalism might make you disappear.

The point is that they're pretty much in the same position now - a semi-autonomous region with a strong national identity who might want to go it alone. The point is, if Scotland votes yes, joins the EU and is even remotely successful in the short term, it will be a huge boon to those who want Catalan independence.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ishmael_X said:

Will Consistent Ed think high energy bills are a very very good thing today or a very very bad thing?

It is of no consequence since the polling showed that though the public welcomed action on energy prices (surprise) not enough of them believed little Ed would do anything concrete on them for it to be a massive vote winner.
    Ishmael_X said:

Cameron is stepping away from a piece of PR crap

On the contrary. He put a huge amount of time and effort into his green 'crap' featuring it prominently not just at the GE but local elections as well as going so far as to change the symbol of the conservative party to a tree.

That's a veritable deluge of Fakery to measure up against one mere supposed quote about "green Crap" which was subsequently denied by Cammie's spinners. If one deniable quote is all it takes to convince you that Cammie really means it this time then I fear it is clear who is being gullible here.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    regarding Germany and coalitions, I have heard this morning from someone very close to the negotiations that there is likely to be an announcement today. (as in, they will agree to form a government in coalition.)

this is despite the fact that no agreement on (a) minimum wages, (b) the budget, or (c) gay marriage
This discussion has been closed.