Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP within 5 points of taking Thanet South according to ne

Comments

• Options
    malcolmg said:

...only difference it will make to Scotland is decisions will be made in Scotland and not Westminster, it cannot be worse than it is today.
    People on here can witter away with their delusions about the great UK, after the deed is done they will fall in line and take the best option , which the SNP know well and published yesterday.

But they won't all be made in Scotland, if you decide to carry on using the pound! Decisions on interest rates, quantitative easing and the like will be made with the situation in the rest of the UK being given much greater weight (simply because of the population ratios). Look what that situation has done to countries like Greece and Portugal...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    This just landed in my inbox:

"Hello,

My name is Snr. Antonio Alexis Pandara.; I am a consultant with Banco Santander one of the leading banks here in Spain. We are conducting a standard process investigation involving a client who shares the same name with you and also the circumstance surrounding investments made by this client at my bank( Banco Santander).

The Bank Private Banking client died intestate and nominated no next of kin to
    inherit the title over the investments made with Santander Bank Plc. The essence of
    this communication with you is to request that you provide us information on
    three issues:

1-Are you aware of any relative/relation having the same surname, whose last
    known contact address was Madrid,Spain ? or can you stand as the next of kin if all the paper works are taken care of by me with your co-operation?

2-Are you aware of any investment of considerable value made by such a person
    at Banco de Santander Plc.?

3-Can you keep it confidential if I make you the next of kin to the deceased so you can claim the deposited funds to be shared by both of us?
    It is pertinent that you inform me immediately whether or not you you can handle huge transaction like this confidentially.
    You must appreciate that I am constrained from providing you with more
    detailed information at this point. PLEASE RESPOND BACK TO MY PRIVATE AND DIRECT EMAIL ADDRESS; (alexispandara@aol.com) as soon as possible to afford us the opportunity to conclude this transaction to our mutual benefit.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Yours sincerely,
    Snr.Antonio Alexis Pandara."
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    MrJones said:

antifrank said:

Immigration is not a major problem for Britain. Poor education and perversely incentivising not working are major problems for Britain.

Not a problem for you.
    Agree mr jones,some posters on here are just ignorant.
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: There are vintage PMQs and then there are Blue Nun PMQs.

Bit unfair to Blue Nun, I'd say......
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    tim said:

AndyJS said:

Most people would IMO be happy with something like 10 to 20,000 immigrants a year, provided they were highly skilled and were applying for jobs with shortages. So I don't think it's right to describe most people as being completely anti-immigration.

Personally I have no great problem how large immigration is as long as it is matched by emigration or death. The problem for me is purely one of numbers. I can see no single country in the world where I would have an issue with migration from (so long as the individual migrants met basic security requirements) as long as we have a net migration/population growth of effectively zero.

That results in an ageing population if you aren't careful.
    Thankfully for us the people coming here from within aeurope are young and the people retiring to Spain and France aren't.
    And of course the 100,000s of extra school places are included in all the cost/benefit calcs.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Sean_F said:

On topic, this seat is tailor-made for Farage. He should go for it.

I couldn't agree more <<checks betting slip>> :-)

• Options

MrJones said:

antifrank said:

Immigration is not a major problem for Britain. Poor education and perversely incentivising not working are major problems for Britain.

Not a problem for you.
    Agree mr jones,some posters on here are just ignorant.
    The pair of you completely misunderstood the point I was making. You're treating a symptom as the disease.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,375
    edited November 2013

malcolmg said:

...only difference it will make to Scotland is decisions will be made in Scotland and not Westminster, it cannot be worse than it is today.
    People on here can witter away with their delusions about the great UK, after the deed is done they will fall in line and take the best option , which the SNP know well and published yesterday.

But they won't all be made in Scotland, if you decide to carry on using the pound! Decisions on interest rates, quantitative easing and the like will be made with the situation in the rest of the UK being given much greater weight (simply because of the population ratios). Look what that situation has done to countries like Greece and Portugal...
    I do not know how anyone can look at those countries (and other casualties such as Eire) and not reflect on the chronic disadvantages that arise for a country that cannot set its own monetary policy, print its own currency or even have any say on their rate of exchange.

The SNP have called this wrong in a spectacular way. They could have made a much more coherent case for a separate Scottish pound and really should have done. Given the asburdity of their current position I frankly wonder if it is still too late. They obviously did polling which indicated that people would be frightened if their pensions and benefits were not being paid in UK pounds but the damage to their economic case and their credibility given the assumptions that rUK are willing to play along at all are even more damaging.

I am very strongly against independence but if we do go down that road our own currency will be essential.
  • Options
    There are many things that are great in theory, but in practice cause a shedload of problems - mass immigration is one of these. People on my side of the political divide may hate to admit it, but we messed up on this big time. Because we did not think it was a problem, we just assumed that anyone reasonable would think the same. But we were the unreasonable ones. This is just one we have to suck up and not get wrong again.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Eds big PMQ problem is that he cant go on the economy.

Wiser heads will realise this is a problem for a GE campaign too.
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    I quite liked Dave's Engels gag!
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    TGOHF said:

Depends whether you see energy prices / supply and high cost consumer lending as economic issues or not I suppose.
  • Options
    So it looks like the other 2 main parties (labour/lib dem) back camerons plans/changes on immigration from the EU.

If Cameron as any political sense,he would take this up to a big political fight with the EU.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996

There are many things that are great in theory, but in practice cause a shedload of problems - mass immigration is one of these. People on my side of the political divide may hate to admit it, but we messed up on this big time. Because we did not think it was a problem, we just assumed that anyone reasonable would think the same. But we were the unreasonable ones. This is just one we have to suck up and not get wrong again.

Well played to you for saying so, I will have to buy back my Southam shares at a loss
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    One thing occurred to me as I was listening to PMQs - I think Ed really believes he is Canute, and can effect worldwide energy wholesale prices as if they were the tide.

He actually believes he can do it with no ill effects.

The problems are:
    1) He is not Canute;
    2) Canute said it to prove his fallibility.

BTW, a tip: PMQs is great to listen to as you knead dough. Just imagine the dough is your least favourite MP ...
  • Options
    In case you missed Today on R4 this morning - here's the EU Commissioner doing UKIP's work for them:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/11/is-laszlo-andor-spinning-for-the-tory-party/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Welcome back ALP. I have rather missed your yellow boxes ;-)
    AveryLP said:

BenM said:

No rebalancing evident at all in this morning's 2nd Q3 GDP release.

Dire net trade and investment figures. British consumer doing the heavy lifting as usual. That is not sustainable.

30 years of idiot Thatcherite economics has bombed the UK economy out.

Why don't you read the bulletins, Ben?

Note this quote from the headlines to this morning's GDP and the Labour Market release:

The services industries continued to act as the main driver of growth in Q3 2013, increasing by 0.7% and contributing 0.6 percentage points to GDP growth. However, growth was widespread, with the production and construction industries also experiencing positive growth in the latest quarter.

To claim the current economic growth is being solely driven by household consumption is disingenuous. With strong growth in employment and earnings a rise in consumption is hardly surprising:

...in the third quarter of 2013[, t]he rate of employment increased for the sixth consecutive quarter, reaching 71.8% and up from 71.2% in Q3 2012. Over the same quarter, total weekly hours increased for the ninth successive quarter to reach 962.7 million hours while the unemployment rate fell by 0.2 percentage points to 7.6%.

Other key categories of income also show positive contributions to GDP. Gross operating surplus grew by 5.2%; other incomes increased by 0.7%; and taxes less subsidies saw an increase of 2.7% over the quarter.

Gross capital formation (investment) also contributed to growth. Yes, the trade figures were disappointing, but this is not sufficient reason to conclude that there has been no beneficial economic rebalancing.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @dhothersall: That @Independent Salmond cartoon now being described as "anti-Scottish" and "hate" by utterly humourless Nats. SNP: a party or a religion?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    Schards said:

Was this polling done before or after the local, popular MP announced she was standing down?

Before. There is speculation (but no evidence whatever AFAIK) that it might have influenced her decision.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The SNP have called this wrong in a spectacular way. They could have made a much more coherent case for a separate Scottish pound and really should have done. Given the asburdity of their current position I frankly wonder if it is still too late. They obviously did polling which indicated that people would be frightened if their pensions and benefits were not being paid in UK pounds but the damage to their economic case and their credibility given the assumptions that rUK are willing to play along at all are even more damaging.

Agreed. And so far Alec Salmond and co. only seem to be addressing the first half of the problem; they say (reasonably, I think) that rUK will see the merit in a Sterling Zone which includes Scotland, but I've not seen any answer at all (I don't think) to the point that what'll happen afterwards regarding the currency will quite probably not be in Scotland's best interest. Has Salmond, or even anyone here on PB, tried to answer the latter question?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Ruined Salmond's day - they'll rue the day.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited November 2013

DavidL said:

Agreed. And so far Alec Salmond and co. only seem to be addressing the first half of the problem; they say (reasonably, I think) that rUK will see the merit in a Sterling Zone which includes Scotland, but I've not seen any answer at all (I don't think) to the point that what'll happen afterwards regarding the currency will quite probably not be in Scotland's best interest. Has Salmond, or even anyone here on PB, tried to answer the latter question?
    No Nat has because you either have sterling with a fiscal pact or no input at all or your own currency or the euro.

And it will dawn on people, pace perhaps Salmond's comment recently re. the euro (which I haven't seen), that Sterling is the least best option if you actually want, you know, independence.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Salmond full of wind.

This is how it should be done.

http://www.finebooksmagazine.com/issue/201106/comic-2.phtml
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    The only thing more hilarious than out of touch scottish tory surgers quoting rabid scottish labour activists as if they were the word of god after Falkirk, are unionists pretending that not liking an answer is the same as not getting one.

Happily it will be the scottish public who will decide on who they believe on what answers.
    Who knows? One day the No campaign might actually get round to actually having a ground campaign to speak of for the referendum. One that is going to be led by most of the exact same people who were behind Iain Gray's electoral 'triumph' in 2011.

*chortle*
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    TGOHF said:

Cameron's "He can't ask about the economy/deficit/unemployment" routine is getting tiresome though.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

The only thing more hilarious than out of touch scottish tory surgers quoting rabid scottish labour activists as if they were the word of god after Falkirk, are unionists pretending that not liking an answer is the same as not getting one.

If you're referring to my question - how will Scotland avoid serious disadvantage from being the minor partner in a currency union - then what is the answer that you think unionists don't like?
  • Options
    More good news for the incompetent fake fop.
    Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics 1 h

David Cameron told by MPs that attacking green agenda risks Tory seats http://tgr.ph/IhfjQ8
    LOL

:)
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    edited November 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

David Cameron told by MPs that attacking green agenda risks Tory seats http://tgr.ph/IhfjQ8

Fortunately the Lib Dems are not the threat they used to be.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Ishmael_X said:

TGOHF said:

Cameron's "He can't ask about the economy/deficit/unemployment" routine is getting tiresome though.

But it's true, and those are massively important areas of interest for the public. Indeed, Labour spent the first couple of years of this parliament concentrating on them.

Cameron should continue pointing out how Labour got those arguments wrong.
  • Options
    Stop lecturing the Scots. They want freedom, not wealth
    - Westminster's arrogance has played straight into the SNP's hands: next year's Scottish referendum could deliver the shock of the century
    An empire that reached across oceans now struggles to reach across the Irish Sea, Hadrian's Wall and Offa's Dyke. Most of Ireland broke away in 1922, due to Westminster's mishandling. Today the English would be well-advised to stop lecturing the Scots and silence the claque of Scots expatriate scaremongers clearly appalled at becoming foreigners in their adopted land. Humility all round is urgently needed.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/26/stop-lecturing-scots-freedom-not-wealth
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited November 2013
    @foxinsoxuk

Welcome back ALP. I have rather missed your yellow boxes ;-)

Thanks, Dr Sox.

It is surprising how quickly time passes when you avert your eyes from pb. I had hoped to slip back in unnoticed but I guess it must be a few weeks since I last posted.

Have got myself suck[er]ed into returning to the land of Mammon but at least it is only on a project rather than permanent basis. It will nevertheless occupy most of my time up until Christmas so today's visit will be brief and my returns scarce for the next few weeks.

Still, it is pleasing to see a day pass without tim claiming that George is blowing a housing bubble.

Will try to be around for the Autumn Statement and to note Robert Chote's revised OBR forecast. Both should merit a surfeit of yellow boxes!

• Options
    Eery silence from the Nats on Nukes.

Has Eck torpedoed his own support?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

- Westminster's arrogance has played straight into the SNP's hands: next year's Scottish referendum could deliver the shock of the century

An empire that reached across oceans now struggles to reach across the Irish Sea, Hadrian's Wall and Offa's Dyke. Most of Ireland broke away in 1922, due to Westminster's mishandling. Today the English would be well-advised to stop lecturing the Scots and silence the claque of Scots expatriate scaremongers clearly appalled at becoming foreigners in their adopted land. Humility all round is urgently needed.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/26/stop-lecturing-scots-freedom-not-wealth

From this I presume you are in favour of the "Scot" (or whatever you want to call your own new currency) with a Scottish central bank printing its own currency and acting as lender of last resort?
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Mick_Pork said:

If you're referring to my question - how will Scotland avoid serious disadvantage from being the minor partner in a currency union - then what is the answer that you think unionists don't like?
    That your serious disadvantages are overstated and simply more unionist spin. I wouldn't worry about it since unionists will classify anything that contradicts their view as Yes spin.
    Which is why it was always going to boil down to trust in the politicians on both sides of the argument from those actually making the decision next year. The scottish public.

Good luck with that ground campaign. Maybe if you ask extra nicely SLAB could start it in Falkirk with Cammie, Clegg or little Ed leading the charge?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

DavidL said:

It is extremely simple , they have their chosen negotiating position as do Westminster. When the dust settles they will will do what is required ie it will be

One from however many, not exactly rocket science

1. Keep sterling , deal with rump UK
    2. Keep Sterling , Feck UK and we are debt free
    3. Own currency
    4. Euro
    5. Use US Dollar
    6. Whatever

Their preference as sensible adults is option 1 , bluster from Unionists is expected as they know if they lose they will also choose 1 but have to keep up teh scare tactics.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Next said:

Mick_Pork said:

Fortunately the Lib Dems are not the threat they used to be.
    They certainly aren't but since there are so many tory lib dem marginals up for grabs even a small threat is enough to upset some tory MPs what with the kippers set to take another big chunk of votes out of those skittish tory MPs in some marginals.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

No Nat has because you either have sterling with a fiscal pact or no input at all or your own currency or the euro.

And it will dawn on people, pace perhaps Salmond's comment recently re. the euro (which I haven't seen), that Sterling is the least best option if you actually want, you know, independence.
    They have said many times , the best starting point is sterling , for the future it is own currency or Euro depending on when circumstances make it better.
  • Options
    What to do with RBS?

England gives Scotland the purely Scottish bits of RBS, the Royal Bank of Scotland Scottish branch network, Fred Goodwin's massive HQ building in Gogarburn and so on. The Royal Bank of Scotland drops the tarnished RBS moniker which was anyway a Goodwin innovation in 2003-2004 when he wanted to create a global brand and build the world's biggest bank (which RBS briefly became at precisely the wrong moment.)

The Bank of England then sends the Scottish government a letter saying that it won't be lender of last resort for what remains of the Scottish banking system.

Far-fetched? Don't think so. What other outcomes are possible? I welcome any (polite) suggestions.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100248030/will-england-dump-rbs-on-an-independent-scotland-2/
  • Options

The PB tories always know best.

LOL

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Eery silence from the Nats on Nukes.

Has Eck torpedoed his own support?

You are not well in the head Scott, do you expect them to spend all their time replying to fatuous comments from unionists. It is very clear they are going only a case of when , perhaps if rump UK stump up enough cash it could be dragged out a bit , but they are going.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

It is extremely simple , they have their chosen negotiating position as do Westminster. When the dust settles they will will do what is required ie it will be

One from however many, not exactly rocket science

1. Keep sterling , deal with rump UK
    2. Keep Sterling , Feck UK and we are debt free
    3. Own currency
    4. Euro
    5. Use US Dollar
    6. Whatever

Their preference as sensible adults is option 1 , bluster from Unionists is expected as they know if they lose they will also choose 1 but have to keep up teh scare tactics.
    1. Then BoE will continue to set interest rates, no longer taking Scotland into account.
    2. Then BoE will continue to set interest rates, no longer taking Scotland into account, and no one will lend to Scotland.
    3. Actually your best option, but since Scotland will be an oil/gas state, no real difference to 5.
    4. Germany will control your economy and set your interest rates.
    5. Might work, but risky.
    6. I think you need some real ideas by now...
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

That your serious disadvantages are overstated and simply more unionist spin. I wouldn't worry about it since unionists will classify anything that contradicts their view as Yes spin.
    That's assertion, not argument. What's your argument? We've seen in the Eurozone over the last few years several countries getting into a horrendous mess because they can't (a) set their own interest rates, or (b) devalue their currency.

If you're confident Scotland and rUK are sufficiently similar, economically speaking, for this not to be an issue in the foreseeable future then that's fine. But what if the two economies diverge? What if some sector of the economy that is particularly important to one country or the other does especially well (or badly), disproportionately affecting that country's economy? ISTM there's significant risk for Scotland here.

Oh, and I'm not a 'Better Together' man, by the way. I'm pretty much neutral on whether Scotland votes Yes or No, with a slight lean towards preferring Yes because of all the Labour Westminster seats that will disappear...

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited November 2013
    Not another Labour war?

Tony Blair asked me to 'help invade Zimbabwe', says Thabo Mbeki
    South Africa's former president claims that his country was asked to help Britain topple Robert Mugabe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/10477809/Tony-Blair-asked-me-to-help-invade-Zimbabwe-says-Thabo-Mbeki.html
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Won't Scotland have to join the Euro at some point anyway, so all this discussion of Sterling is moot.
  • Options
    Welcome back @AveryLP .
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,953

BenM said:

. The policy of both the Libertarian Alliance and the Libertarian Party is for controlled borders and limits on immigration.

That's not "Libertarian" then is it? It is reactionary conservative.
    Nope, again like Tim you fail utterly to understand the basic principles of Libertarianism (which is not, needless to say, anarchism).

Once you have actually learnt something about Libertarianism come on back and have an informed debate.Until then all you have to offer are meaningless comments.
    I imagine Libertarianism is a broad church (after all, you get people who describe themselves as libertarian socialists). The argument that tim and Ben M are advancing against you is anarcho-capitalism, but that's only one form of libertarianism.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It is very clear they are going

So you haven't read Eck's document then. Oh dear.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

That's assertion, not argument.
    Which is what I correctly concluded would be your response though you don't seem to have noticed.

The No campaign make assertions and the Yes campaign will make assertions but it's the scottish public who will decide who they trust the most, or the least in the end.

As I said good luck with that ground campaign since I know how fatal complacency would be to a party like SLAB from experience of the 2011 campaign.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

He hasn't even read the papers:

Alex Salmond softens hardline stance over Nato's nuclear weapons
    Independent Scotland would operate 'don't ask, don't tell' policy, says UK government as SNP tries to allay Washington's fears

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/26/alex-salmond-snp-stance-nato-nuclear-weapons
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,375

What to do with RBS?

England gives Scotland the purely Scottish bits of RBS, the Royal Bank of Scotland Scottish branch network, Fred Goodwin's massive HQ building in Gogarburn and so on. The Royal Bank of Scotland drops the tarnished RBS moniker which was anyway a Goodwin innovation in 2003-2004 when he wanted to create a global brand and build the world's biggest bank (which RBS briefly became at precisely the wrong moment.)

The Bank of England then sends the Scottish government a letter saying that it won't be lender of last resort for what remains of the Scottish banking system.

Far-fetched? Don't think so. What other outcomes are possible? I welcome any (polite) suggestions.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100248030/will-england-dump-rbs-on-an-independent-scotland-2/

Perhaps the most obvious solution is that RBS is rebranded as Nat West and the group is reconstituted in England so they have the protection of the BoE. The consequences for the housing and private school market in Edinburgh would be very severe with thousands of well paid head office jobs going south. Whether they then chose to spin off RBS would no doubt depend on a lot of concerns, one of which would be what you can get for a Bank without a lender of last resort.

HBOS will effectively do the same through Lloyds although to be fair some of that has happened already.

The bigger problem is what happens to Standard Life and other fund managers. At the moment they sell to clients across the UK backed by the FSCS and the FS Ombudsman as well as the BoE. I suspect that they would have been highly alarmed about the half hearted nonsense about creating our own regulators in Scotland in the "white paper" yesterday. If they start to move south as well the consequences for the tax base will be frightening.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Won't Scotland have to join the Euro at some point anyway, so all this discussion of Sterling is moot.

Won't the tories leave Europe at some point anyway, so all this discussion of Europe is moot?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Mick_Pork said:

RobD said:

Won't the tories leave Europe at some point anyway, so all this discussion of Europe is moot?

Come on Pork, you know Cast Iron Cam can't get the referendum in before Scotland leaves, so THAT point is moot ;-)
  • Options
    More on the SNP Nuke U-turn:

It is quite an extraordinary move and it opens the possibility of an independent Scotland ejecting the UK’s Trident submarines but then letting them back in to refuelling, reloading or repairs — and using Faslane to do it.

The reason, of course, is the United States. American military sources have made it clear that they would resist Scotland’s entry to NATO without an assurance that they could continue to use Faslane for their own Trident submarines.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/11/whats-hidden-inside-the-white-paper/
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

That's assertion, not argument.

Which is what I correctly concluded would be your response though you don't seem to have noticed.
    Well done, you must be very pleased with yourself. So what I've got from this exchange and other people's comments is that the SNP intends to use Sterling for a period of time short enough that there won't be any issues with Scotland not being in control of its currency, and then (maybe? Only malcolmg has said this so far) will seek to join the Euro. Which they will also have hardly any control over...
    Mick_Pork said:

As I said good luck with that ground campaign since I know how fatal complacency would be to a party like SLAB from experience of the 2011 campaign.

Huh? I don't care about either side's ground campaign; I'm broadly neutral on the actual referendum question. It's just that I'm baffled by what seems to be a gaping hole in the logic of the SNP's position.
  • Options

What to do with RBS?

Sounds reasonable. most of the crap is in the other bits in any case. It is the US and casino part that is the main issue , along with Ulster Bank.
  • Options
    Maybe Scotland could use Bitcoins ? or do they sound too much like Britcoins?
  • Options

So what I've got from this exchange

Is of no concern to me. You seem to be having trouble realising that I'm not interested in unionists spin, conclusions and assertions any more than you are interested in the assertions of those backing Yes.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    So Scotland will not be Nuclear free...who'd a thunk it...
  • Options
    Petition hits 170,000 signatures.
    Jayne L ‏@JayneLinney 6h

David Cameron: Stop the 11% pay rise for MPs' salaries http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/david-cameron-stop-the-11-pay-rise-for-mps-salaries?share_id=YvyEhEFUdj&utm_campaign=twitter_link_action_box&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition … via @change

We're all in this together.

• Options

The Winston Churchill £5 should come in at just the right time..

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015

I do agree that the No campaign has been pretty awful in terms of focus and approach, and that supporters of independence will definitely care about freedom, real or imagine depending on which side you are on, more than wealth, and also that the betting levels are currently ridiculously overstating Yes's chances...but I will note that in seems that anything any pro-unionists do or say is characterised by the SNP as playing into their hands by their online supporters (yes, I've made a generalization, stone me).

Simple statistical chance would suggest the unionists have made at least one positive move in all this time, but if someone stays silent it plays into the SNP's hand, if they speak they said the wrong thing, if they said the right thing it was the wrong person saying it, if it was the right person saying the right thing no-one heard it or cared.

'No' need to do a lot better, and I think they will lose as it happens, but 'Yes' also need to tone it down a little bit. I get optimism is key to the campaign, but when everything i supposedly helping their side and argument? It just lacks credibility and makes it harder for idiots like me determine how useful such developments are to either side. Obviously I don't get a say in what happens, but I am interested in the outcome.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What to do with RBS?

Perhaps the most obvious solution is that RBS is rebranded as Nat West and the group is reconstituted in England so they have the protection of the BoE. The consequences for the housing and private school market in Edinburgh would be very severe with thousands of well paid head office jobs going south. Whether they then chose to spin off RBS would no doubt depend on a lot of concerns, one of which would be what you can get for a Bank without a lender of last resort.

HBOS will effectively do the same through Lloyds although to be fair some of that has happened already.

The bigger problem is what happens to Standard Life and other fund managers. At the moment they sell to clients across the UK backed by the FSCS and the FS Ombudsman as well as the BoE. I suspect that they would have been highly alarmed about the half hearted nonsense about creating our own regulators in Scotland in the "white paper" yesterday. If they start to move south as well the consequences for the tax base will be frightening.
    Most of the big jobs are in Bishopgate in any case, what a fearty brainwashed into thinking you are incapable of doing anything.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Not another Labour war?

Tony Blair asked me to 'help invade Zimbabwe', says Thabo Mbeki
    South Africa's former president claims that his country was asked to help Britain topple Robert Mugabe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/10477809/Tony-Blair-asked-me-to-help-invade-Zimbabwe-says-Thabo-Mbeki.html

Probably one that would rehabilitate Blair's reputation among Labour supporters, tbh... "why are we invading Iraq not Zimbabwe?" was a pretty common question many were asking back then.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Is of no concern to me. You seem to be having trouble realising that I'm not interested in unionists spin, conclusions and assertions any more than you are interested in the assertions of those backing Yes.
    Hilarious today to see Fraser Wishart begging the PM to add a bit of A-list to the referendum campaign by getting involved.

His sillies idea since the one that referees should declare which team they support.

• Options
    Wonder if the Glasgow Commonwealth games will effect the referendum . Only a couple of months separate them and , if they go well. could convince some voters that Scotland can make a success of being a separate country
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

What to do with RBS?

Most of the big jobs are in Bishopgate in any case, what a fearty brainwashed into thinking you are incapable of doing anything.
    Just the 3,200 white collar workers at Gogarburn getting relocated then...

• Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Clever as I am , I also have a life and a job , so no I have not read the 670 pages yet.
  • Options

Wonder if the Glasgow Commonwealth games will effect the referendum . Only a couple of months separate them and , if they go well. could convince some voters that Scotland can make a success of being a separate country

Name any Scottish gold medal prospects...?

For bonus points - name any Scottish golfers that will qualify for the Ryder Cup team for the match at Gleneagles in September.

Eck will be there with his bespoke taxpayer funded tartan breeks on cheering on Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter , Justin Rose.....

• Options

If they issued an electronic currency with the key features of bitcoin, namely pseudonymity, irrepudiability, censorship-resistance and low transaction fees, but controlled the money supply to maintain a peg to the Euro or the Dollar, the whole world would use it and they could pay for public services by printing money and they wouldn't need any taxes. The technical problems involved in this are solved, they just need to make the decision that they want free money.
  • Options
    Re the Scotland vote I think there are lots of people who are on the wrong side as such in that they say they do not want independence because they sort of have to but secretly hope for it (and vice verse)-For instance the tories would be better of electorally without Scotland and the SNP would ,if Scotland goes, have nobody to blame -no straw man of London or Westminster for any faults in the future
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,055
    edited November 2013
    Mick_Pork said:

I'm addicted (almost) to signing petitions but the way this one was worded struck me as utter rubbish.
    I wasn't, and am not, for example, aware that MP's were demanding a pay increase; I got the impression that many were quite embarrassed at the recommendations of the IPSA.
  • Options

the SNP would ,if Scotland goes, have nobody to blame -no straw man of London or Westminster for any faults in the future

Why do you think they want to stay in the EU......

• Options
    TGOHF said:

For bonus points - name any Scottish golfers that will qualify for the Ryder Cup team for the match at Gleneagles in September.

Eck will be there with his bespoke taxpayer funded tartan breeks on cheering on Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter , Justin Rose.....

I meant more in terms of good organisation, friendly staff etc . Although Britian did very well in terms of medals at the Olympics I think Brits had more pride in their nation for putting on a good show . Could be the same in Scotland
  • Options

The key metric will be where in the medals table a notional combined UK would come, compared to a separate Scotland. I am not sure it will be favourable for the Nats, although of course the response will be that Scotland would have done better if they hadn't had to share training facilities and coaching with the English...
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I meant more in terms of good organisation, friendly staff etc . Although Britian did very well in terms of medals at the Olympics I think Brits had more pride in their nation for putting on a good show . Could be the same in Scotland
    Well lets hope they take down the IRA terrorist banners that were hanging up last night inside the venue for the opening ceremony before the Queen arrives.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Hilarious today to see Fraser Wishart begging the PM to add a bit of A-list to the referendum campaign by getting involved.

His sillies idea since the one that referees should declare which team they support.

Hilarious to see cowardly Cammie still self-evidently terrified of a debate. Just the same as with Farage in fact. Yet more proof of the totally gutless fake fop the PB tories have to put up with and pretend they believe in. Immigration, climate change, Europe, international aid, etc. so many issues so very many of them would prefer to side with Farage on but can't because the truth is they are Cameroons and will put up with any old crap from a second rate Blair impersonator like Cammie.
  • Options

If they issued an electronic currency with the key features of bitcoin, namely pseudonymity, irrepudiability, censorship-resistance and low transaction fees, but controlled the money supply to maintain a peg to the Euro or the Dollar, the whole world would use it and they could pay for public services by printing money and they wouldn't need any taxes. The technical problems involved in this are solved, they just need to make the decision that they want free money.
    Now you are talking. I am never quite sure why countries raise taxation in the first place and not just print/issue an agreed amount of money for public spending instead. Would cut down admin and also cut tax avoidance in that effectively everyone pays their share by money dilution through the government printing. I know it can go horribly wrong if mismanaged but nobody has convinced me that it couldn't work if managed
  • Options
    @Mr_Eugenides: Why don’t the SNP want Scotland to have our own independent currency? Surely we’re not too small or too poor? No? So, what is it?
  • Options
    The 'debate' spat is hilarious.

Surely Ed will be PM come the glorious day of FREEEEDDOOOMMMM!

Why does Eck not want to debate him? Feart?
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Mick_Pork said:

I'm addicted (almost) to signing petitions but the way this one was worded struck me as utter rubbish.
    I wasn't, and am not, for example, aware that MP's were demanding a pay increase; I got the impression that many were quite embarrassed at the recommendations of the IPSA.

LOL

That's truly pitiful spin even for PB.

I must have missed the part where they all demanded the party leaders stop this terrible largesse and refuse the pay increase at once.

Which is why this seems so odd and indeed "embarrassing".
    MPs call for '32% salary increase'

MPs have suggested a 32% increase in their pay to the Commons expenses watchdog, it has been revealed.

Members said they deserved an £86,250 salary in an anonymous survey conducted by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).

The research also found more than a third thought they should keep final-salary pensions.

The findings emerged as Ipsa published a report on its initial consultation into pay and pensions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20978487
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Hilarious to see cowardly Cammie still self-evidently terrified of a debate. Just the same as with Farage in fact. Yet more proof of the totally gutless fake fop the PB tories have to put up with and pretend they believe in. Immigration, climate change, Europe, international aid, etc. so many issues so very many of them would prefer to side with Farage on but can't because the truth is they are Cameroons and will put up with any old crap from a second rate Blair impersonator like Cammie.
    Cameron doesn't need to - that is the weakness of the SNP's pleading.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The big SNP principle... getting rid of Nuclear weapons at Faslane..until the Yanks give them the dog whistle..ya gorra larf
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Cameron doesn't need to - that is the weakness of the SNP's pleading.
    You would be the first to complain of interfering in Scottish affairs if Cameron and the UK government stated to campaign for a no vote using the resources of the state (including the office of Prime Minister)
    Cameron as UK PM should remain officially neutral as he is and it would be not appropriate to debate for a desired outcome of a no vote on this . The reason Salmond wants Cameron to because he is desparate to paint the no vote as being tory led (which is clearly isn't)
  • Options
    sorry TGOHF I meant the reply to be about Mick the porks post
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

What to do with RBS?

Just the 3,200 white collar workers at Gogarburn getting relocated then...

Clue for you , The Royal Bank of Scotland will not run itself so maybe some people will be needed in Scotland.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Usual lickspittle unionist viewpoint
  • Options

The big SNP principle... getting rid of Nuclear weapons at Faslane..until the Yanks give them the dog whistle..ya gorra larf

I actually think the 'Don't ask, don't tell' approach to nuclear subs is a reasonable compromise. It acknowledges that an outright no-nuclear policy would have severe international diplomatic ramifications but still retains a distinctive anti-nuclear flavour.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Scott_P said:

@Mr_Eugenides: Why don’t the SNP want Scotland to have our own independent currency? Surely we’re not too small or too poor? No? So, what is it?

Time for us to speak up for the return of the Groat. After all when Jack W was a lad, he could get 12 £1Scots for 1 £1English. Does Eck really want us to return to that?
  • Options

I actually think the 'Don't ask, don't tell' approach to nuclear subs is a reasonable compromise. It acknowledges that an outright no-nuclear policy would have severe international diplomatic ramifications but still retains a distinctive anti-nuclear flavour.

And opens the door for Trident on the Clyde.

Let's hope no NATO vessels have ever docked in Dundee on joint manoeuvres with the Royal Marines ...
  • Options

Maybe then Scotland would allow its citizens and companies to 'use 'don't ask don't tell' in their own dealings . Great for dealing with the awkward questions of bribes for foreign contracts etc, tax evasion on small or big scales etc

Its a stupid policy for a government to endorse
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited November 2013

You would be the first to complain of interfering in Scottish affairs if Cameron and the UK government stated to campaign for a no vote using the resources of the state (including the office of Prime Minister)

You must be horrified at the number of anti-independence papers issued by Westminster, and anti-independence Scottish day trips made by coalition cabinet members.

Or perhaps you know very little about the subject.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2013
    Scott_P said:

Wee timid Scotland hiding behind the Bank of England's skirt.

It's obvious that Salmond doesn't really want Independence.

His preferred choice is Devomax, but he can't have that now.

Ha Ha.
  • Options

You must be horrified at the number of anti-independence papers issued by Westminster, and anti-independence Scottish day trips made by coalition cabinet members.

Or perhaps you know very little about the subject.
    Which presumably Salmond (and you?) wants as he is goading Cameron to debate against him? You cannot have it both ways . If you say (quite correctly) that it is for Scotland alone to decide this then you cannot call Cameron a coward for being a English MP , an English born citizen and a British PM and therefore thinking the same as you and therefore not getting involved in the argument.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    It would be interesting to know what seats UKIP have done polling in. If some of the seats are Con / Lab marginals then presumably only some of the 8 seats are being considered for Farage's tilt in 2015 so we could have a de facto shortlist once we see all the results.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's obvious that Salmond doesn't really want Independence.

His preferred choice is Devomax, but he can't have that now.

Ha Ha.
    Yes , surely the true indicator of a sovereign country is to have its own currency. Its ludicrous for such an avowed nationalist to want and indeed seem to beg for the currency of its big (and bad in their eyes for many years) neighbour
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Yes , surely the true indicator of a sovereign country is to have its own currency.

Like France, you mean?
  • Options
    Neil said:

It would be interesting to know what seats UKIP have done polling in. If some of the seats are Con / Lab marginals then presumably only some of the 8 seats are being considered for Farage's tilt in 2015 so we could have a de facto shortlist once we see all the results.

Alan Bown (who paid for the polls):

I commissioned Survation to undertake a series of polls, mainly in marginal and frequently Labour-held constituencies, to explore this issue from more angles than previous polling has done. In particular I was interested in the relationship between UKIP and Labour and whether in some Northern areas, where the Conservative brand is badly damaged, UKIP might have actually established itself as the official opposition to Labour.

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Alan-Bown-Statement.pdf
  • Options
    Neil said:

Yes , surely the true indicator of a sovereign country is to have its own currency.

Like France, you mean?
    Yes the euro is going well isn't it?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Like France, you mean?
    How well is the Euro polling in France right now?
This discussion has been closed.