Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets firm up even more on a CON majority

1235»

Comments

• Options

Could this be Johnson's Sheffield Rally moment?

It has the potential to be. And remember the furthest extent of the Tories' ambitions at this point. Labour have had to deploy McCluskey to defend BARNSLEY. We're debating BOLSOVER. With EASINGTON under threat. Doncaster North.

A retreat now at the last would be entertaining, The Tories - and I know that some of their closest chums are on here - should be pushing the stuff about how bad a badly hung parliament would be...
    Barnsley ? Easington ? Doncaster North ?

In reality no.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,638
    nico67 said:

The worse thing about the clip . The smirk when Bozo finally looks at the phone . Horrible .

Empathy by numbers , absolutely no genuine emotion at all.

The clip has now been viewed 5.7 million times . The increase is quite amazing , roughly 100,000 new views every 10 minutes .

Plus everyone who sees it on the News. Yes, some of us do still watch TV.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,241

Prize for the first PBer who gets their phone into Bozo's pocket.

They seem to spontaneously end up in there, so it should be an easy ask.

If I had put your phone in my pocket today, tomorrow I would be in front of a magistrate.

Why is Boris not helping West Yorkshire Constabulary with their enquiries?
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1204133009986850816

Corbyn at the fire side disarming trolls.

As I said earlier today a politician who actually likes campaigning. Of course it will never catch on.
    But he doesn't like governing and compromising.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dear friends, remember that polls are a lagging index. Which means that as in 2017 we won't see any evidence of a late move until 10pm on Thursday.

Until today I couldn't see what if anything could stop the Tory juggernaut. Labour despised in Labour heartlands. Get Brexit Done the only political slogan that people repeat.

And then the boy on the hospital floor. All those Lab to Con switchers that Johnson needs for a majority. A boy lying sick on a hospital floor and the PM's incredible response to it might just be the thing that makes them think "hang on". And whats more the Tory machine thinks so too, hence the absurd dead cat story about the "assault" in Leeds. All Johnson had to say was "it isn't good enough, and thats why I've pledged to pour x gazillions into our NHS by building the boy a new hospital staffed by new doctors and nurses." The OBVIOUS response except that he knows its a big lie and forgot.

Events, dear boy...

No that is Corbyn in Bristol.

This is Boris' Jennifer's Ear before that historic 4th successive Tory term and an overall Tory majority on election night
    I still have money on a comfortable Tory majority, but this looks bad.

Johnson being Johnson it will probably increase his personal ratings by 20%. For any other politician it would be curtains, hence the Sheffield comment.
    His promise to look at the tv licence and George Osborne endorsing him today are more salient for me, notwithstanding the mishandling of the photograph and phone
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Some of the absurd overreaction to this phone story is utterly bizarre. Its clumsy and insensitive but he then apologises and talks about investment. Anyone would think some people were trolling, there is zero chance of this incident moving the polling.
  • Options

Carrie: "Is that a phone I see in your pocket, Boris, or are you just pleased to see me?"
  • Options
    welshowl said:

This puts into perspective how much steel China is currently producing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ozt_wdy4qc

Don't expect Greta and the XRs to be bothered though.

Think ( I haven’t got a link) there was some stat about six months ago that in the previous two years China had produced as much steel as the UK had since 1870. (Eighteen Seventy!)
    The first is that in the past two years (to be precise, the past 22 months) China has manufactured more steel than Britain has since the height of the Industrial Revolution in 1870.

Try, if you can, to get your head round that.

In the months since the last general election China has produced more steel than Britain - the country where modern steel manufacturing was invented - has produced. Ever.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-surprising-facts-behind-the-declining-steel-industry-11725482
  • Options

If I had put your phone in my pocket today, tomorrow I would be in front of a magistrate.

Really? I dont like the PM but that is absurd. If someone hands me their phone, I inadvertently (and weirdly) put it in my pocket and hand it back when that is pointed out, the police will have absolutely zero interest.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,299
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Am I the only person who, having now watched the Boris interview, is completely dumbfounded?

What is he meant to have done? He gave an interview, the reporter showed him a mobile phone, he looked at the phone about 30 seconds after requested as he was in the middle of saying something.

Completely bizarre that his reaction is a media story at all.

Sure, the child on the floor is a story and what Boris said is a story, but not delaying 30 seconds before looking at a mobile phone.

HE PUT THE PHONE IN HIS FUCKING POCKET.

HE WANTED TO TALK ABOUT BREXIT AND COULDN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT A 4 YEAR OLD LYING ON A HOSPITAL FLOOR.

Have you got it now?
    He answered the question, he looked at the phone and made clear the Government was putting more money into the NHS.

In any case it was the chief executive of the Trust responsible not Boris
    I think you need to watch it again. He did everything he could to avoid looking at the picture, including taking the phone from the guy. Whilst continuing to spout his pre-prepared lines. Only slowly does he realise the impression he has created.

It’s not about who was responsible. It’s about doing what anyone with basic political skills would have done, look at the picture, agree it looks bad, and promise to get someone to look into it.

The fact that after the interview was screened, Hancock was told to drop everything and go straight to the hospital tells you that the Tories knew that Bozo had let one in.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

Think ( I haven’t got a link) there was some stat about six months ago that in the previous two years China had produced as much steel as the UK had since 1870. (Eighteen Seventy!)
    The first is that in the past two years (to be precise, the past 22 months) China has manufactured more steel than Britain has since the height of the Industrial Revolution in 1870.

Try, if you can, to get your head round that.

In the months since the last general election China has produced more steel than Britain - the country where modern steel manufacturing was invented - has produced. Ever.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-surprising-facts-behind-the-declining-steel-industry-11725482
    That’s the one. Thanks.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Any polls tonight?
  • Options

Some of the absurd overreaction to this phone story is utterly bizarre. Its clumsy and insensitive but he then apologises and talks about investment. Anyone would think some people were trolling, there is zero chance of this incident moving the polling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Jennifer's_Ear
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Artist said:

Surprised Farage is on Young voters Question Time.

Fed up being the forgotten man I suppose. TBP only fought this election to make the Lib Dem effort look good.
  • Options

Is the prize a new phone by any chance?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Am I the only person who, having now watched the Boris interview, is completely dumbfounded?

What is he meant to have done? He gave an interview, the reporter showed him a mobile phone, he looked at the phone about 30 seconds after requested as he was in the middle of saying something.

Sure, the child on the floor is a story and what Boris said is a story, but not delaying 30 seconds before looking at a mobile phone.

HE WANTED TO TALK ABOUT BREXIT AND COULDN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT A 4 YEAR OLD LYING ON A HOSPITAL FLOOR.

Have you got it now?
    He answered the question, he looked at the phone and made clear the Government was putting more money into the NHS.

I think you need to watch it again. He did everything he could to avoid looking at the picture, including taking the phone from the guy. Whilst continuing to spout his pre-prepared lines. Only slowly does he realise the impression he has created.

It’s not about who was responsible. It’s about doing what anyone with basic political skills would have done, look at the picture, agree it looks bad, and promise to get someone to look into it.

The fact that after the interview was screened, Hancock was told to drop everything and go straight to the hospital tells you that the Tories knew that Bozo had let one in.
    I agree
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The worse thing about the clip . The smirk when Bozo finally looks at the phone . Horrible .

Empathy by numbers , absolutely no genuine emotion at all.

The clip has now been viewed 5.7 million times . The increase is quite amazing , roughly 100,000 new views every 10 minutes .

The problem you have is that, whether the clip SHOULD change minds or not, all the evidence is it will not. The Left have leapt onto likes and views as if they have any meaning at all in the real world. I would have thought that after all the previous examples over the past couple of years you would have realised they don't. The Andrew Neil episode got millions of views and Conservative support went up! It shouldn't have. Nor should it after this. But it just goes to show that at the moment - and of course this might change in the future - there is an online bubble just as self deluding and out of touch as the Westminster bubble.

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    DavidL said:

Artist said:

Fed up being the forgotten man I suppose. TBP only fought this election to make the Lib Dem effort look good.
    TBP are likely to have a bigger impact on this election than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Have you got it now?

That shows how panicked no 10 were . If they didn’t think it was damaging they wouldn’t have bothered sending Hancock . I don’t see this causing a big change in the polling but it’s a gift for Labour when they badly needed it and in Labour Leave areas this will help them .
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    Where is all that steel production going? Skyscrapers in 3rd tier Chinese cities?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

As I said earlier today a politician who actually likes campaigning. Of course it will never catch on.
    Sadly he is very far from unique in that respect.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dear friends, remember that polls are a lagging index. Which means that as in 2017 we won't see any evidence of a late move until 10pm on Thursday.

Until today I couldn't see what if anything could stop the Tory juggernaut. Labour despised in Labour heartlands. Get Brexit Done the only political slogan that people repeat.

And then the boy on the hospital floor. All those Lab to Con switchers that Johnson needs for a majority. A boy lying sick on a hospital floor and the PM's incredible response to it might just be the thing that makes them think "hang on". And whats more the Tory machine thinks so too, hence the absurd dead cat story about the "assault" in Leeds. All Johnson had to say was "it isn't good enough, and thats why I've pledged to pour x gazillions into our NHS by building the boy a new hospital staffed by new doctors and nurses." The OBVIOUS response except that he knows its a big lie and forgot.

Events, dear boy...

This is Boris' Jennifer's Ear before that historic 4th successive Tory term and an overall Tory majority on election night

Johnson being Johnson it will probably increase his personal ratings by 20%. For any other politician it would be curtains, hence the Sheffield comment.
    His promise to look at the tv licence and George Osborne endorsing him today are more salient for me, notwithstanding the mishandling of the photograph and phone
    But Mr NorthWales you have become Johnson's number two cheerleader on here.

I accept that Corbyn's personal style and politics are ludicrous.

Why can you no longer see that Johnson, a man with the moral compass of a hyena, and a backstory that includes an alleged conspiract to ABH, not to mention an allegation of misusing public funds is a substantially dangerous prospect for Prime Minister, irrespective of whether his main oponent is the reincarnation of Ghenghis Khan or Mother Theresa?
  • Options

Really? I dont like the PM but that is absurd. If someone hands me their phone, I inadvertently (and weirdly) put it in my pocket and hand it back when that is pointed out, the police will have absolutely zero interest.
    Your suggesting that he did not have the necessary to have mens rea? Maybe.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Where is all that steel production going? Skyscrapers in 3rd tier Chinese cities?

They are looking to move 300m into cities over 15 years so thats going to be a big part of it.
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287
    edited December 2019
    My my

Talking about misleading people https://t.co/5Wgdxg0E8e
  • Options

My comment was merely satirical, much like 'water melon smiles' and 'letterboxes'. That said if you handed me your phone I would not put it in my pocket.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    Banterman said:
    Keep the story going, ta very much :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Your suggesting that he did not have the necessary to have mens rea? Maybe.
    I hardly think he was likely to hope to get away with it, and sell it in the pub later to a mate (whose name he has conveniently forgotten) for a line......
  • Options

DavidL said:

Artist said:

It’s a bit like that film Wargames isn’t it? The only way to win is not to play.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

camel said:

BluerBlue said:

Jason said:

BluerBlue said:

Jason said:

Stories like this always dominate the headlines - exactly what Labour wants. This is not a 'bubble' story either.

Very damaging headlines 3 days before an election is bad news no matter who you support and no matter how unfair they are.

The headlines will be damaging from pro-Labour outlets, and very much non-damaging from pro-Tory ones, same as ever. Two more days of campaigning to make it a wash.
    This is different though. I hate to say it. There's no glossing over the fact that Boris made a serious error of judgement pocketing that phone. Most fair minded people would know that Labour always use the NHS as a weapon to bash over the head of the Tories, but...that phone....panicked Boris and that will resonate.

Out of all of the moments I've seen this campaign, the AN interview bs, the floods, etc, this is the most damaging for Johnson. It could derail the Tories, I'm sorry to be a doom merchant here, but I have to say it as I see it.

The timing could not have been worse, it's the NHS, it's winter, it's a 4 year old boy, the SNP, the LDs and Corbyn all piling in, but worst if all, a stupid unforced error from Boris.
    It's Andrew Neil all over again. Remember how that was going to derail everything?

And it went viral.
    Child with pneumonia more likely to go bacterial than viral.

The weakness of my joke aside, it's a disgrace and reflects terribly on the government, yes, but also the hospital in that it was deemed OK to treat a child with pneumonia on the floor. I know there are medics on this site who might correct me, but it must be unheard of to treat a serious infection on the floor.
    Was the child being treated? Or was he waiting to be seen to be diagnosed?

I have had pneumonia half a dozen times and the usual process is to be sent to have an X-Ray and then be given antibiotics, which can be taken at home. If admitted, of course you’d expect a bed. I wonder at what stage this photo was taken.

Either way I would not be happy with having my child on the floor instead of in a bed. If the child wanted to sleep while waiting I might well lay him out on coats on chairs and cover him up. Maybe the chairs did not permit this? Also, maybe there were other more serious priorities the doctors were dealing with.
    The child has an oxygen mask, fallen off, in front of his face, so has been seen by a clinician.

There is a lot of bronchiolitis around at the moment.
    My ten-month old daughter had this three weeks ago and had to be hospitalised as she had difficultly breathing.

Very scary.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    DavidL said:

HaroldO said:

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

Sadly he is very far from unique in that respect.
    IMO he started the trend for that, May was made to look dull because she still tried to govern so the Tories went for someone ridiculous who didn't but who could campaign and get a message across. So now we have two of them.
  • Options
    Reporting of the phone incident will be more damaging than viewing of the video. I read several partisan reports then saw the video and I felt it was a lot less damaging for BJ than I thought it would be.
  • Options
    Phil said:

For some years they’ve been opening about one new airport every month, and the projection for the next fifteen years isn’t far below that rate. As just one example.
  • Options

My comment was merely satirical, much like 'water melon smiles' and 'letterboxes'. That said if you handed me your phone I would not put it in my pocket.
    Apologies, there are some weird views around today, hard to tell the satirical from the hysterical.
  • Options

So you say.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Banterman said:
    Foxy said:

Banterman said:
    More lies.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Banterman said:
    Foxy said:

Banterman said:
    Wrong link. This is the one to read.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

camel said:

BluerBlue said:

Jason said:

BluerBlue said:

Jason said:

Stories like this always dominate the headlines - exactly what Labour wants. This is not a 'bubble' story either.

Very damaging headlines 3 days before an election is bad news no matter who you support and no matter how unfair they are.

The headlines will be damaging from pro-Labour outlets, and very much non-damaging from pro-Tory ones, same as ever. Two more days of campaigning to make it a wash.
    Out of all of the moments I've seen this campaign, the AN interview bs, the floods, etc, this is the most damaging for Johnson. It could derail the Tories, I'm sorry to be a doom merchant here, but I have to say it as I see it.

The timing could not have been worse, it's the NHS, it's winter, it's a 4 year old boy, the SNP, the LDs and Corbyn all piling in, but worst if all, a stupid unforced error from Boris.
    It's Andrew Neil all over again. Remember how that was going to derail everything?

And it went viral.
    Child with pneumonia more likely to go bacterial than viral.

The weakness of my joke aside, it's a disgrace and reflects terribly on the government, yes, but also the hospital in that it was deemed OK to treat a child with pneumonia on the floor. I know there are medics on this site who might correct me, but it must be unheard of to treat a serious infection on the floor.
    Was the child being treated? Or was he waiting to be seen to be diagnosed?

I have had pneumonia half a dozen times and the usual process is to be sent to have an X-Ray and then be given antibiotics, which can be taken at home. If admitted, of course you’d expect a bed. I wonder at what stage this photo was taken.

Either way I would not be happy with having my child on the floor instead of in a bed. If the child wanted to sleep while waiting I might well lay him out on coats on chairs and cover him up. Maybe the chairs did not permit this? Also, maybe there were other more serious priorities the doctors were dealing with.
    The child has an oxygen mask, fallen off, in front of his face, so has been seen by a clinician.

There is a lot of bronchiolitis around at the moment.
    My ten-month old daughter had this three weeks ago and had to be hospitalised as she had difficultly breathing.

Very scary.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Swinson getting owned by Jenrick. dear, oh dear.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Bristol University student newspaper report on problems during Corbyn's visit.

https://epigram.org.uk/2019/12/09/jewish-students-attacked-dirty-zionists-labour-supporters-corbyn-rally/
  • Options
    This has just been shared on my Facebook timeline - it’s had a lot of shares already and was only posted a short while ago - seems to be a genuine account but who knows these days.

Very interesting. A good friend of mine is a senior nursing sister at Leeds Hospital - the boy shown on the floor by the media was in fact put there by his mother who then took photos on her mobile phone and uploaded it to media outlets before he climbed back onto his trolley. He was on a hospital trolley in the paediatric A&E having been seen within 20 minutes. I am a nurse myself and am so pissed off with fake news, yes the NHS is a mess mainly caused by people misusing it and lack of elderly care. Think of the nurses and Doctors who are doing their jobs instead of constantly slagging them off. another Momentum
    Propaganda story. Disgraceful
  • Options
    Wonder if I can get good odds on Jo Swinson chinning Farage before the end of this #bbcqt?
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Utter crap, he looked at it after the journalist gave it to him.

More anti Boris fake news!!
    That would be after:

1. He pocketed the phone
    2. He claimed that he hadn't had a chance to see the photo
    3. The interviewer called him out over it

Your hero is a contemptible shit.
    He was trying to give an interview and the guy kept waving it around and distracting him
    Distracting him from dodging the question which was about the picture that was on it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

This has just been shared on my Facebook timeline - it’s had a lot of shares already and was only posted a short while ago - seems to be a genuine account but who knows these days.

Very interesting. A good friend of mine is a senior nursing sister at Leeds Hospital - the boy shown on the floor by the media was in fact put there by his mother who then took photos on her mobile phone and uploaded it to media outlets before he climbed back onto his trolley. He was on a hospital trolley in the paediatric A&E having been seen within 20 minutes. I am a nurse myself and am so pissed off with fake news, yes the NHS is a mess mainly caused by people misusing it and lack of elderly care. Think of the nurses and Doctors who are doing their jobs instead of constantly slagging them off. another Momentum

Horrific for Labour if this is the REAL story here.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Phil said:

For some years they’ve been opening about one new airport every month, and the projection for the next fifteen years isn’t far below that rate. As just one example.
    Whereas we manage a planning enquiry for one airport runway that takes fifteen years.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Banterman said:

My my

A friend of a friend ! Zzzzzz

• Options

What is a Jenrick?
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Foxy said:

Banterman said:
    Foxy said:

Banterman said:
    Wrong link. This is the one to read.

Oh dear, thought it would take a bit longer than this to unravel.
  • Options

Another one missing the point. The issue isn’t the matter itself but how Bozo responded to it.
  • Options

I’m surprised we produce absolutely fuck all steel.

Nada. Nothing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Artist said:

Too early to say. Who knows how many Labour seats they have shored up by campaigning so badly? ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    IanB2 said:

Another one missing the point. The issue isn’t the matter itself but how Bozo responded to it.
    If this was a set up for politcal gain, using a kid in an oxygen mask, you don't see how this looks like Labour being callous arseholes?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    DavidL said:

What is a Jenrick?
    I think it is a rogue one furry creature that speaks with dulcet tones.
  • Options

Nada. Nothing.
    Ah but we are so proud of our march to carbon neutrality.
  • Options

It has the potential to be. And remember the furthest extent of the Tories' ambitions at this point. Labour have had to deploy McCluskey to defend BARNSLEY. We're debating BOLSOVER. With EASINGTON under threat. Doncaster North.

A retreat now at the last would be entertaining, The Tories - and I know that some of their closest chums are on here - should be pushing the stuff about how bad a badly hung parliament would be...
    Barnsley ? Easington ? Doncaster North ?

In reality no.
    Probably not. But Labour are having to defend them. Which is entertaining all by itself
    HYUFD said:

The desperation of the hard left in exploiting this incident and invading a hospital in a last desperate attempt to stop Boris and Brexit is beneath contempt.

Leave voters have made up their minds, they are voting for Boris and the final dirty tricks from the hard left will not stop them

Fascinating if I am "hard left". Thing is about this incident is that care of children is kind of base instinct. It transcends politics, class, material things. It speaks to the heart of your soul as a human being. I accept that a minority don't have a soul and would do and say literally anything for their personal betterment. But come on...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So you say.
    No I really wouldn't. I would be self aware enough to question why you were handing me your phone. Is it a gift? I don't think so, I have only just met you. Is it to show me something I don't want to see, at that point I would hand it back.
  • Options

DavidL said:

What is a Jenrick?
    I think it is a rogue one furry creature that speaks with dulcet tones.
    Rogue one was a Star Wars film? Are the Jedi standing in this election? Might have to reconsider my vote.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

If this was a set up for politcal gain, using a kid in an oxygen mask, you don't see how this looks like Labour being callous arseholes?
    That would be another story. Or another dead cat. Depending.

My point to the OP is that to argue the medical circumstances isn’t the issue. The exchange with the journalist drew attention to Bozo’s lack of empathy, desire to evade anything potentially difficult or uncomfortable, and desire to continue robotically spouting his lines regardless of what is in front of him.

All weaknesses exposed already by the campaign - which is why they resonate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    If you look at the photo, it does look like there might be a bed to the side.

I would have thought the hospital should be able to clear up what was the exact situation. Thus, I am going to presume that if it was untrue, they would have already made a statement to say so by now.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    Crazy stat time.

As it stands after 15.5 games, Leicester City have twice as many points and more than twice as many goals scored than Arsenal.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

IanB2 said:

Just seen that tweet. If this was concocted for political gain, Boris's reaction will be completely forgotten. I wonder if the media will pick up on this.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And then the boy on the hospital floor.

Events, dear boy...

Why can you no longer see that Johnson, a man with the moral compass of a hyena, and a backstory that includes an alleged conspiract to ABH, not to mention an allegation of misusing public funds is a substantially dangerous prospect for Prime Minister, irrespective of whether his main oponent is the reincarnation of Ghenghis Khan or Mother Theresa?
    I would caution you about the inference in your post

If you have read my comments tonight I have agreed with posters from other parties that Boris mishandled it today and as far as I am concerned Boris, notwithstanding his many faults, is fighting to save this Country from someone who would destroy our economy, hand power to the big unions, see our Jewish friends leave the country in fear, consort with our enemies and compromise our security and safety.

In those circumstances I will do anything to see Corbyn defeated and I am so pleased that George Osborne has publically backed him today in the Evening Standard thereby helping conservative remain voters in the south to come on board
  • Options

DavidL said:

So you say.
    No I really wouldn't. I would be self aware enough to question why you were handing me your phone. Is it a gift? I don't think so, I have only just met you. Is it to show me something I don't want to see, at that point I would hand it back.
    Heard it all before. Tell it to the magistrate.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Phil said:

Carbon neutral - not!
  • Options
    Banterman said:

My my

Who knows?

The trouble is it’s almost impossible to get verified accurate news these days unless you were actually there.
  • Options

DavidL said:

So you say.
    You've never done anything 'odd' when you've been disconcerted ?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306

This thread has
    Put its phone in someone else’s pocket

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    edited December 2019
    DavidL said:

What is a Jenrick?
    Is a Jenrick one of the many cabinet attendees who have a problem with telling the truth? Claimed to be an entrepreneur without ever founding or running a company.
  • Options

If it’s true what’s really dark is how some people are willing to leverage their own family (sick or ill, or even deceased) to further the political outcome they desire.
  • Options

If it’s true what’s really dark is how some people are willing to leverage their own family (sick or ill, or even deceased) to further the political outcome they desire.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    New thread.
  • Options

DavidL said:

So you say.
    You've never done anything 'odd' when you've been disconcerted ?
    Certainly not larceny.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708

Nada. Nothing.
    7.7m tonnes apparently in 2019, just off the bottom of that list.

It feels wrong but does it matter to the country as a whole? I don't know.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

If you look at the photo, it does look like there might be a bed to the side.

I would have thought the hospital should be able to clear up what was the exact situation. Thus, I am going to presume that if it was untrue, they would have already made a statement to say so by now.

I don't think that's a bed. That aside, people are way too quick to jump on the bandwagon with these sorts of stories, as we have already seen several times in the last week alone.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And then the boy on the hospital floor.

Events, dear boy...

I would caution you about the inference in your post

If you have read my comments tonight I have agreed with posters from other parties that Boris mishandled it today and as far as I am concerned Boris, notwithstanding his many faults, is fighting to save this Country from someone who would destroy our economy, hand power to the big unions, see our Jewish friends leave the country in fear, consort with our enemies and compromise our security and safety.

In those circumstances I will do anything to see Corbyn defeated and I am so pleased that George Osborne has publically backed him today in the Evening Standard thereby helping conservative remain voters in the south to come on board
    I agree fully with your analysis of Corbyn. I see them as both unacceptable, but I am concluding, on his day, Johnson might be even more dangerous, particularly with an unfettered majority.
  • Options

McCluskey isn’t defending Barnsley against the Tories.
  • Options

Fascinating if I am "hard left". Thing is about this incident is that care of children is kind of base instinct. It transcends politics, class, material things. It speaks to the heart of your soul as a human being. I accept that a minority don't have a soul and would do and say literally anything for their personal betterment. But come on...

And how much that applies to Boris or any other politician we don't know.

They tend to be non-standard people inhabiting a non-standard world so perhaps we shouldn't expect standard behaviour from them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Well, I'm not going to believe it unless some evidence is forthcoming.

The boy's mother has said she does not want her son's treatment being used as a "political football".
    In a formal complaint to press regulator IPSO, she said she had initially given permission to two newspapers to use her son Jack's image but - after the story was widely reported across other news outlets - she now wanted to prevent any further publication of the picture or his details.
    In her letter, she said the actions of the media were "causing significant distress" to Jack and his family.

General election 2019: Boris Johnson criticised over reaction to sick boy image
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50717606
    I'm afraid I think she's been very very naive here.
  • Options

Reporting of the phone incident will be more damaging than viewing of the video. I read several partisan reports then saw the video and I felt it was a lot less damaging for BJ than I thought it would be.

Yes, so did I. After reading about it, I was expecting something far worse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Well, I'm not going to believe it unless some evidence is forthcoming.

The boy's mother has said she does not want her son's treatment being used as a "political football".
    In a formal complaint to press regulator IPSO, she said she had initially given permission to two newspapers to use her son Jack's image but - after the story was widely reported across other news outlets - she now wanted to prevent any further publication of the picture or his details.
    In her letter, she said the actions of the media were "causing significant distress" to Jack and his family.

General election 2019: Boris Johnson criticised over reaction to sick boy image
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50717606
    I'm afraid I think she's been very very naive here.
    She is, but as I said earlier, no more than the vast majority of people in the country who get on with their daily lives without much thought of how either the press or politics works.

Because it is our specialist interest, we on here are fairly well informed about how these things work. But I don't think we can really criticise those who do not have such an interest and therefore get taken advantage of.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,179
    edited December 2019
    Artist said:

He's a hip young thing in TBP world. Pumpkin hued moleskins are happenin' man.
  • Options
    It wasn’t exactly Woodstock. It wasn’t even Birmingham 2017. Back then nearly 10,000 people had turned up to hear Clean Bandit and Steve Coogan appear as warm-up acts for Jeremy Corbyn in the final days of the election campaign. On College Green in Bristol, sandwiched between the cathedral and the town hall, barely a couple of thousand – mostly students – showed up for the start of the Labour leader’s series of whirlwind national rallies.

Corbyn had hoped Bristol might mark the first gig of The Comeback Tour. It felt more like The Long Goodbye. It wasn’t just the audience and the warmth of a summer’s evening that were missing. It was the energy and the enthusiasm. Two years ago, there had been a sense of hope. A feeling that change was possible. Now there was just weariness, a weight of resignation. A commitment to a cause that already felt lost. The crowd had turned up as much to keep the faith with themselves as with their leader.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/09/corbyn-plays-all-the-old-favourites-in-bristol-but-no-ones-dancing
This discussion has been closed.