Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » History of the Political Punter: Always Expect the Unexpected

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » History of the Political Punter: Always Expect the Unexpected

The modern era of big, open, political betting began in 1963 when Ron Pollard of Ladbrokes offered odds on the Conservative leadership contest for the ordinary punter. It was a dismal start as the 5/4 favourite Rab Butler was beaten by the 16/1 shot Alec Douglas-Home.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Great article, thanks. Love the history.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    edited December 2019
    What a great piece.
    The only thing missing is the (1997 excepted) constant over-optimism on LD seat numbers.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited December 2019
    I'm not going to comment on last night's national polling except to say that partisans will read into them what they want to see. This is one of Mike Smithson's Golden Rule issues. Certainly there's a poll for just about everyone.

It's too soon to write off a Conservative majority. However, I'm certain the country is not in landslide mood. I base that on things I'm picking up, including a fairly astonishing moment (to me) yesterday afternoon when a group of young professional men, with property investment, began laying into the Conservatives. I lived through the 1997 election and this is NOT 1997. For all the dislike of Corbyn there is also considerable antipathy towards Boris Johnson & chums.

All I will state is that the two most extraordinary polls last night were the constituency ones of Portsmouth South and Esher & Walton. Tactical Voting, including Remain anger, will be a significant feature in this General Election.

For this reason I continue to believe we will have a hung parliament and I am betting accordingly.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Very interesting article, Mr. Broxton.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Excellent piece, thank you Anthony.
  • Options

I'm not going to comment on last night's national polling except to say that partisans will read into them what they want to see. This is one of Mike Smithson's Golden Rule issues. Certainly there's a poll for just about everyone.

It's too soon to write off a Conservative majority. However, I'm certain the country is not in landslide mood. I base that on things I'm picking up, including a fairly astonishing moment (to me) yesterday afternoon when a group of young professional men, with property investment, began laying into the Conservatives. I lived through the 1997 election and this is NOT 1997. For all the dislike of Corbyn there is also considerable antipathy towards Boris Johnson & chums.

All I will state is that the two most extraordinary polls last night were the constituency ones of Portsmouth South and Esher & Walton. Tactical Voting, including Remain anger, will be a significant feature in this General Election.

For this reason I continue to believe we will have a hung parliament and I am betting accordingly.

Interesting.
    But I disagree. Two reasons:
    1. I think polling and betting tends to oscillate. 2017 too optimistic on Conservative position. 2015 too pessimistic. 2010 too optimistic.
    2. I believe most people do actually want to get Brexit behind us. Only Johnson offers that. (Although I'm going to break with tradition and say the LDs will be the major benificiaries.)
  • Options
    I meant to thank Anthony for his fascinating history of spread & fixed odds political betting: excellent.

BETTING POST

Keep an eye on East Devon constituency where the Independent candidate Claire Wright is fighting the new Conservative replacement for Hugo Swire. I've seen no polling (MRP is useless in this regard) but Claire Wright definitely has traction. The young professional men I mentioned below who were laying into the tories came from her constituency.

I'm not suggesting she will do it but you can get 7/4 and I think it might be worth a small flutter.
  • Options

ClippP said:

PaulM said:

Barnesian said:

My predicted LD seats in England with shares

Thanks Barnesian
    One point to consider. In the last election, the LibDems only got over 50% of the vote in one constituency - Twickenham. You have them clearing 50% in 19 seats, some by quite a lot.
    There is also the fact that the Lib Dems are doing a much better job of targeting this time, and they have a far stronger campaign in those seats.
    On the general topic of local campaigning - I'm sure it has an impact, but only up to a point. The Lib Dems are renowned for working their local patches hard, and I'm sure they did so in 2015. Didn't stop about 80% of their Parliamentary party getting the chop though, did it?
    If you lose two thirds of your vote nationwide then, no matter how good you are locally, you will get slaughtered.

The amazing result was not 2015 but 2017, where the LDs lost one-in-ten of their voters but increased their seat count 50%. (And could easily have ended up 75% up.)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

Dontcha just love it. You say you are not going to comment on the polls, and then you do precisely that. LOL
  • Options
    OT Boris's obituary for his old classics tutor.
    When I was 16 a wonderful teacher lent me a book called Homer on Life and Death. It was by Jasper Griffin, who died last Friday aged 82.

I turned the pages, and pow, it was like that moment when Keats first understands the majesty and beauty of the Homeric epics. I was the astronomer who sees a new planet. I was the explorer staring at a new ocean.

Suddenly Griffin made sense of it all for my teenage mind. Agamemnon and Achilles were really like teenage gang rivals – one the titular leader, the other more charismatic and better at fighting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2019/11/29/boris-johnsonon-professor-jasper-griffin-taught-heroes-life/
  • Options

Dontcha just love it. You say you are not going to comment on the polls, and then you do precisely that. LOL
    Pay attention. I said I'm not going to comment on the national polls. I was commenting on the constituency ones.

Go and have a coffee and wake yourself up.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    edited December 2019
    FPT:
    Impressive work from those (@Barnesian et al) trying to model the election, an election where the traditional UNS models are clearly not going to work, where there’s lots of local issues, MPs changing party, and Brexit still being unresolved has moved loyalties in different directions.
    Personally I can’t get too involved in betting on this one - too busy with work and family problems to do it properly, and I lost money in 2017 so a little wary of doing it half-heartedly!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

2. I believe most people do actually want to get Brexit behind us. Only Johnson offers that. (Although I'm going to break with tradition and say the LDs will be the major benificiaries.)
    Sorry Robert but on this I totally disagree. I'm not sure if you are currently in the UK, or have been recently, but I've heard no one talking about Brexit any more. All I ever do here on it oscillates between complete boredom with the subject and massive irritation that the whole thing ever started. And the other thing is that NO ONE outside the Far Right believes that Johnson would 'get Brexit done' anytime soon. The reason I think we're seeing the Labour Leave voters returning to the fold is not only because they have other far more important things to vex them, but also because the agenda has shifted. Everyone now knows that the subsequent trade deals will take YEARS of negotiation and that Brexit wouldn't get done anytime soon.

The country is also pro-Remain by 52-48%.

Both the LibDems (Revoke) and Labour (Good deal vs Remain) offer perfectly coherent and sensible ways of 'getting Brexit behind us.'
  • Options

Pay attention. I said I'm not going to comment on the national polls. I was commenting on the constituency ones.

Splitting hairs, you are doing what OGH says, commenting on polls that suit your point of view LOL. Go and have a bacon buttie and a cuppa with Correct Horse Battery, or are you on different shifts?
  • Options

I meant to thank Anthony for his fascinating history of spread & fixed odds political betting: excellent.

BETTING POST

Keep an eye on East Devon constituency where the Independent candidate Claire Wright is fighting the new Conservative replacement for Hugo Swire. I've seen no polling (MRP is useless in this regard) but Claire Wright definitely has traction. The young professional men I mentioned below who were laying into the tories came from her constituency.

I'm not suggesting she will do it but you can get 7/4 and I think it might be worth a small flutter.

I agree.
    She reminds me of Lynne Featherstone in Hornsey & Wood Green, where she's campaigned and campaigned and campaigned.
    I have no idea what her policies are, but I generally think independents are a good thing, so support her regardless :smile:
  • Options

Splitting hairs, you are doing what OGH says, commenting on polls that suit your point of view LOL. Go and have a bacon buttie and a cuppa with Correct Horse Battery, or are you on different shifts?
    Just occasionally it's not a bad idea to except you got something wrong!

I actually quite specifically said people will read into last night's polls what they will and there's something there for everyone.

If you're in attack dog mode at least find good grounds. Don't be desperate.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290

BETTING POST

https://www.newstatesman.com/2019/11/who-win-election-east-devon-tory-brexit-rural-revolt-independent-rebellion
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

BETTING POST

She reminds me of Lynne Featherstone in Hornsey & Wood Green, where she's campaigned and campaigned and campaigned.
    Yes absolutely.

Totally agree about Independents and it would be really good to have some elected rather than those crossing the floor of the House.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    Curse of the new thread!
    I think the key takeaway from the polls right now is Tories are generally low 40s, Labour generally low 30s.
    That was also true last time at this stage, and it changed.
    But if it doesn't change, it is totally impossible to see any result other than a Tory majority.
    Labour need to be getting up towards 39 at least (in the end they clocked just over 40 on the mainland in 2017). So far, they seem to be struggling to cut through.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Interesting.
    1. I think polling and betting tends to oscillate. 2017 too optimistic on Conservative position. 2015 too pessimistic. 2010 too optimistic.
    Certainly there are a LOT of people awaiting and expecting a rerun of 2017, and interpreting every fractional uptick in Labour’s rating as the beginning of the surge. What people are forgetting is that last time Labour actually ran a good campaign, tapping into the mood of the moment and with lots of activity, energy and excitement. There’s been little of that this time - they’re trying to go through the same motions but it doesn’t feel the same at all.
    The common factor is that the Tory campaign is once again poor, if not plumbing the depths of self-destructiveness that Mrs M managed to achieve. The reason there’s a feeling that the Tories won’t win by much is that a lot of people don’t really want to vote for them, don’t like Bozo, are nervous about Brexit, but haven’t been inspired by any of the opposition parties to vote for anyone else.
    Much as I would love to be cracking a drink and watching the Tories lose their (expected) majority on the 12th, my money is still on a workable majority. The real fun with the Tories starts thereafter. If I were still a councillor I would be smiling about my reelection prospects.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

rcs1000 said:

Sorry Robert but on this I totally disagree. I'm not sure if you are currently in the UK, or have been recently, but I've heard no one talking about Brexit any more. All I ever do here on it oscillates between complete boredom with the subject and massive irritation that the whole thing ever started. And the other thing is that NO ONE outside the Far Right believes that Johnson would 'get Brexit done' anytime soon. The reason I think we're seeing the Labour Leave voters returning to the fold is not only because they have other far more important things to vex them, but also because the agenda has shifted. Everyone now knows that the subsequent trade deals will take YEARS of negotiation and that Brexit wouldn't get done anytime soon.

Both the LibDems (Revoke) and Labour (Good deal vs Remain) offer perfectly coherent and sensible ways of 'getting Brexit behind us.'
    You must be living in a parallel universe.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

rcs1000 said:

Certainly I think that the country is Bored of Brexit, but it is now a subject to be avoided except with known company, so hard to be sure how relevant. Probably the "Get Brexit Done" slogan speaks to the resignation of the prisoner walking to the gallows, but it is wrong to see this as enthusiasm.
    There is plenty of disdain for the Tories even of those contemptuous of other options. The idea that this election will lance the boil of people vs parliament is nonsense. It will exacerbate our disconnect.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting.
    Certainly there are a LOT of people awaiting and expecting a rerun of 2017, and interpreting every fractional uptick in Labour’s rating as the beginning of the surge. What people are forgetting is that last time Labour actually ran a good campaign, tapping into the mood of the moment and with lots of activity, energy and excitement. There’s been little of that this time - they’re trying to go through the same motions but it doesn’t feel the same at all.
    The common factor is that the Tory campaign is once again poor, if not plumbing the depths of self-destructiveness that Mrs M managed to achieve. The reason there’s a feeling that the Tories won’t win by much is that a lot of people don’t really want to vote for them, don’t like Bozo, are nervous about Brexit, but haven’t been inspired by any of the opposition parties to vote for anyone else.
    Much as I would love to be cracking a drink and watching the Tories lose their (expected) majority on the 12th, my money is still on a workable majority. The real fun with the Tories starts thereafter. If I were still a councillor I would be smiling about my reelection prospects.
    On you last point, I tend to agree.

I think Boris Johnson will get himself a majority at pretty much exactly the wrong time.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

BETTING POST

Yes absolutely.

Totally agree about Independents and it would be really good to have some elected rather than those crossing the floor of the House.
    Her most striking achievement will be that next to no one will be voting Labour or LibDem in that seat
  • Options
    I had my first piece of 'proper' campaign literature yesterday, from Paul Woodhead (Green).
    Labour sent out a leaflet just before campaign limits kicked in.
    Nothing from the Tories.
    Everyone seems to think Cannock Chase is only going one way, which given the margin it voted Leave by isn't perhaps surprising but is frustrating.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    rcs1000 said:

I think Boris Johnson will get himself a majority at pretty much exactly the wrong time.

You remind me of the woman in the Woody Allen film, who finally has an orgasm, but her analyst told her it was the wrong type.
    Any type majority is right on the money for me.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited December 2019
    Olaf Scholz, Merkel's Deputy Chancellor and Finance Minister, loses his bid to become SPD leader to the leftists Norbert Walter-Borjans and Saskia Esken 45% to 53%, weakening the governing CDU and SPD coalition.

The far right opposition AFD meanwhile elects East German former painter and decorator Tino Chrupalla to be its joint leader with Joerg Meuthen.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50616566
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

You must be living in a parallel universe.

Which per se means you are living in a parallel universe.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I had my first piece of 'proper' campaign literature yesterday, from Paul Woodhead (Green).
    Nothing from the Tories.
    Everyone seems to think Cannock Chase is only going one way, which given the margin it voted Leave by isn't perhaps surprising but is frustrating.

Election addresses are being posted this week
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting.
    Certainly there are a LOT of people awaiting and expecting a rerun of 2017, and interpreting every fractional uptick in Labour’s rating as the beginning of the surge. What people are forgetting is that last time Labour actually ran a good ve. The reason there’s a feeling that the Tories won’t win by much is that a lot of people don’t really want to vote for them, don’t like Bozo, are nervous about Brexit, but haven’t been inspired by any of the opposition parties to vote for anyone else.

Boris will get a majority to deliver Brexit and beat Corbyn.

What happens after is irrelevant, no Tory government since Lord Liverpool 200 years ago has won a fifth term or an election after 14 years in power as the Tories would have to do in 2024.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    rcs1000 said:

ClippP said:

PaulM said:

Barnesian said:

My predicted LD seats in England with shares

Thanks Barnesian
    One point to consider. In the last election, the LibDems only got over 50% of the vote in one constituency - Twickenham. You have them clearing 50% in 19 seats, some by quite a lot.
    There is also the fact that the Lib Dems are doing a much better job of targeting this time, and they have a far stronger campaign in those seats.
    On the general topic of local campaigning - I'm sure it has an impact, but only up to a point. The Lib Dems are renowned for working their local patches hard, and I'm sure they did so in 2015. Didn't stop about 80% of their Parliamentary party getting the chop though, did it?
    If you lose two thirds of your vote nationwide then, no matter how good you are locally, you will get slaughtered.

The amazing result was not 2015 but 2017, where the LDs lost one-in-ten of their voters but increased their seat count 50%. (And could easily have ended up 75% up.)
    You know better than to give percentages on a very low base. The difference between 50% and 75% was a whopping, ..... wait for it,.... drum roll,.... two seats.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Olaf Scholz, Merkel's Deputy Chancellor and Finance Minister, loses his bid to become SPD leader to the leftists Norbert Walter-Borjans and Saskia Esken 45% to 53%, weakening the governing CDU and SPD coalition.

The far right opposition AFD meanwhile elects East German former painter and decorator Tino Chrupalla to be its joint leader with Joerg Meuthen.

Merkel’s about done, isn’t she?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting.
    Certainly there are a LOT of people awaiting and expecting a rerun of 2017, and interpreting every fractional uptick in Labour’s rating as the beginning of the surge. What people are forgetting is that last time Labour actually ran a good ve. The reason there’s a feeling that the Tories won’t win by much is that a lot of people don’t really want to vote for them, don’t like Bozo, are nervous about Brexit, but haven’t been inspired by any of the opposition parties to vote for anyone else.

What happens after is irrelevant, no Tory government since Lord Liverpool 200 years ago has won a fifth term or an election after 14 years in power as the Tories would have to do in 2024.
    Have the Tories been in power these last few years? It’s been hard to tell.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The sarcasm just drips from that post...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Merkel’s about done, isn’t she?
    Squeezed by left and populist right certainly
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Better to say who hasn't been in power, makes one feel better as the list of parties trips off the tongue
  • Options

BETTING POST

Yougov MRP has Tories 47% Wright 41% in East Devon, she is doing better than Grieve and Gauke and Field and Soubry and Gapes as an independent certainly

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/
  • Options
    Corbyn prefers Patrick Vieira for Arsenal manager because

He has done so much for education in Africa !!!!!!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Better to say who hasn't been in power, makes one feel better as the list of parties trips off the tongue
    It is quite a pleasant thought as well that neither Johnson nor Corbyn has been in power...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nothing from the Tories.

Election addresses are being posted this week
    ? They have been going out for sometime. Ld and Con are doing individual ones, Greens household here. So far we have had the Greens, 2 Ld, 1 Con, 0 Lab. In addition we have had 1 Con hand delivered leaflet and an uncoutable number of Ld hand delivered leaflets and posted national leaflets.

• Options
    Based on the above it was only 1945, 1970, February 1974, 1992 and 2015 and 2017 which produced unexpected results
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

BETTING POST

Yougov MRP has Tories 47% Wright 41% in East Devon, she is doing better than Grieve and Gauke and Field and Soubry and Gapes as an independent certainly

Not pissing off a large wedge of your previous voters will do that for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Now this is interesting.
    Jeremy Corbyn, who is being interviewed by Sophy Ridge on Sky, is being asked whether he supports a shoot-to-kill policy and questioned on whether he supports the police decision to shoot dead London Bridge attacker Usman Khan.
    "I think they had no choice, they were stuck with a situation where there was a credible threat," he says.
    "Its an awful situation for any police officer... to be put in."
    Referring to his previous remarks about shoot-to-kill, he says: "The points I made in the past particularly in relation to Northern Ireland - this is going back quite a long way - was that there was a concern in Northern Ireland that the police were adopting a shoot-to-kill policy when it was possible to arrest people rather than shoot people."

That , despite his claims, represents a definite change of view.
    He’s right on both, incidentally, which is something I don’t say often. But at the same time, that’s not what he’s said before.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

HYUFD said:

BETTING POST

Hmmmm
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

It is quite a pleasant thought as well that neither Johnson nor Corbyn has been in power...
    Well the Country has been in a fucking mess because no one has been able to sort Brexit out.. if you think that's pleasant....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    HYUFD said:

BETTING POST

Yougov was way too favourable to Claire Wright last time round in their MRP model
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Based on the above it was only 1945, 1970, February 1974, 1992 and 2015 and 2017 which produced unexpected results

The 1945 result was only unexpected because people ignored all the evidence pointing to an easy Labour win. Admittedly the size of the majority was larger than Labour expected.
    Labour got caught the other way in 1950 - they expected a substantial majority and it was cut to six seats.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Excellent thread header. Not actually read the Tony Blair/taxi driver story before.

Many thanks.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Well the Country has been in a fucking mess because no one has been able to sort Brexit out.. if you think that's pleasant....
    Given what they plan to do to ‘sort it out’ - yes!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

I am not sure as a selection criteria that would any less successful than the traditional ones like previous success, that didn't work for Emery or 'Poch' at Spurs.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited December 2019
    Johnson’s latest lie - that the murdering scumbag who committed the London Bridge attack was sentenced 11 years ago under a Labour government - is his most despicable yet. I think he finds it so easy to lie because, as much of his writing demonstrates, he holds a large proportion of the electorate in contempt.
  • Options

I am not sure as a selection criteria that would any less successful than the traditional ones like previous success, that didn't work for Emery or 'Poch' at Spurs.
    Indeed but a strange qualification to be put forward
  • Options
    Striking that Marr has three long-haired blondes on the review of the papers. Like they are being done by the Beverley Sisters.....
  • Options

Johnson’s latest lie - that the murdering scumbag who committed the London Bridge attack was sentenced 11 years ago under a Labour government - is his most despicable yet. I think he finds it so easy to lie because, as much of his writing demonstrates, he holds a large proportion of the electorate in contempt.

Really? I would have said it was because he’s a pathological liar who doesn’t care what the truth is or isn’t, only what suits him at the time.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Some polling data...

I've collated polling data on the mean Conservative lead, in fortnightly blocks, in all national VI polls since Boris Johnson became Prime Minister. Polls are grouped by the dates on which fieldwork was completed. I've also given the dates of notable events, as follows:

Fieldwork dates ending:

Jul 14 - Jul 27: Con +3.0% (7 polls)
    Jo Swinson becomes Liberal Democrat leader (22 July)
    Boris Johnson becomes Conservative leader and Prime Minister (23/24 July)

Jul 28 - Aug 10: Con +6.2% (5 polls)
    Last nationwide VI poll to show a Labour lead (28 July)
    Brecon & Radnorshire by-election (1 August)

Aug 11 - Aug 24: Con +8.1% (8 polls)

Aug 25 - Sep 7: Con +7.7% (14 polls)
    Withdrawal of the Tory whip from 21 Brexit rebels (3 September)
    First failed attempt to call a General Election (6 September)

Sep 8 - Sep 21: Con +7.9% (10 polls)
    Second failed attempt to call a General Election (9 September)
    First prorogation (10 September)

Sep 22 - Oct 5: Con +9.7% (7 polls)
    First prorogation annulled by Supreme Court (24 September)
    Parliament reconvenes (25 September)

Oct 6 - Oct 19: Con +8.8% (11 polls)
    Second prorogation (8 October)
    State Opening of Parliament (14 October)

Oct 20 - Nov 2: Con +12.7% (14 polls)
    House of Commons votes on the Withdrawal Agreement Bill (22 October)
    Tory whip restored to 10 of the Brexit rebels (29 October)
    House of Commons votes for an early General Election (30 October)

Nov 3 - Nov 16: Con + 10.9% (22 polls)
    Dissolution of Parliament (6 November)

Nov 17 - Nov 30: Con +11.7% (24 polls)
    First Johnson vs Corbyn TV debate (19 November)
    Publication of YouGov MRP (27 November)
    London Bridge terror attack (29 November)

Weekly averages covering the campaign period:
    Nov 3 - Nov 9: Con +9.9% (10 polls)
    Nov 10 - Nov 16: +11.8% (12 polls)
    Nov 17 - Nov 23: +13.1% (14 polls)
    Nov 24 - Nov 30: +9.7% (10 polls)

Observations:
    1. The race has definitely tightened, but the Tory lead has only shrunk to about where it was at the time of the dissolution of Parliament. So far anyway.
    2. The Liberal Democrat numbers for 24-30 November are remarkably consistent: out of ten surveys, one gives them 15%, one gives them 14%, and all the other eight show 13%. This may prove critical: if the Lib Dems have begun to flatline then Labour could struggle to make further progress - unless the ex-Labour voters who have deserted to the Tories over Corbyn and Brexit have an attack of the wobbles between now and polling day, which is by no means impossible.
  • Options

Striking that Marr has three long-haired blondes on the review of the papers. Like they are being done by the Beverley Sisters.....

Given his reputation, I am sure Marr would be very happy to be done by the Beverley Sisters...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

rcs1000 said:

The worst thing is constantly hearing the Tory lie " we will get Brexit done", only a fool could be taken in by these liars.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Far right German former painter and decorator. That rings a vague bell somewhere. I am sure it will come to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    nunu2 said:

HYUFD said:

BETTING POST

Hmmmm
    Indeed. As the Tories have done. But they have the benefit of getting a wedge of Labour voters to replace them. Labour isn't getting a wedge of Tories to replace those Labour Brexiteers they have pissed off.
    THIS is why Boris will get a working majority.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Far right German former painter and decorator. That rings a vague bell somewhere. I am sure it will come to me.
    Hitler was an Austrian.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

https://xkcd.com/1122/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The 1945 result was only unexpected because people ignored all the evidence pointing to an easy Labour win. Admittedly the size of the majority was larger than Labour expected.
    Labour got caught the other way in 1950 - they expected a substantial majority and it was cut to six seats.

What many people forget is that to all intents and purposes Attlee was largely running the country on the home front. It was not a seismic leap to elect a Labour government in 1945.

• Options
    F1: pre-race:
    https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2019/12/abu-dhabi-pre-race-2019.html

There's a special at Ladbrokes. 2.2 for Mercs/Red Bulls to be top 6 plus Williams double classified. Backed that.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Aren’t a lot of Arsenal fans Spurs hating anti semites?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Great thread header. I'm going to listen to those tides of history podcasts - looks interesting.
  • Options
  • Options
    Very interesting observation from the Northern correspondent of the Guardian on Marr confirming the very real worry that labour is in real trouble in the north
  • Options
    Marr buying into the idea there will be "lots" of Portillo moments this election.
    How many letters from OGH has he received???
  • Options
    edited December 2019

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What many people forget is that to all intents and purposes Attlee was largely running the country on the home front. It was not a seismic leap to elect a Labour government in 1945.
    The Lord President’s committee was a triumph, as was Bevin’s work as Minister for Labour. But it was also a very emphatic rejection of the Tory record of the 1930s - ironically, given the then leadership of the Tories had been out in the cold for most of the 30s, excepting Eden’s brief spell as Foreign Secretary.
    Have a good morning.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903

F1: pre-race:
    https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2019/12/abu-dhabi-pre-race-2019.html

There's a special at Ladbrokes. 2.2 for Mercs/Red Bulls to be top 6 plus Williams double classified. Backed that.

I’m on Bottas at 3.6 for a podium, and 23 for the win - he starts at the back with a new engine, everyone else has very old engines.
    Will take a look at some other bets in the next couple of hours.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.
    Pedant
  • Options
    He is right they have been meddling and invading all these countries for many years with their pals from the US and created most of the chaos and terrorism.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,298

1. The race has definitely tightened, but the Tory lead has only shrunk to about where it was at the time of the dissolution of Parliament. So far anyway.
    2. The Liberal Democrat numbers for 24-30 November are remarkably consistent: out of ten surveys, one gives them 15%, one gives them 14%, and all the other eight show 13%. This may prove critical: if the Lib Dems have begun to flatline then Labour could struggle to make further progress - unless the ex-Labour voters who have deserted to the Tories over Corbyn and Brexit have an attack of the wobbles between now and polling day, which is by no means impossible.

1. Due to the Farage surrender there is a systematic reason why a Tory lead of x% now is worth less than x% at the start of November, as there will be a lot of extra Tory votes in safe seats that were previously Brexit Party votes.
    2. My reading of last night's polls was that this had happened a bit, and Labour Leavers were coming home. No idea whether they will continue, but if it's happened a little bit that makes it seem more likely than if it hadn't.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.
    He was still German.

• Options
    If nothing else this election has nailed the lie that Bozo was somehow going to turn into an ace campaigner. All he’s done is avoid May’s biggest mistake while repeating most of the others, meanwhile generating no excitement and offering no positive vision, and hiding himself away from full scrutiny and challenge.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.
    That's right - the Austrian part of Germany. But I think you'll find he was a Kunstmaler* rather than a Streichmaler.

*Not a particularly good one though by all accounts.
  • Options

To be fair, Corbyn is a bone fide fan, and Viera is an Arsenal legend. It is not a daft shout. Fans often want someone engrained in the passion of the club.

The Arsenal job is like Man U, a hospital pass. Following SAF or Wenger is always going to be cursed. Pochettino, I think.

• Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.
    That's right - the Austrian part of Germany. But I think you'll find he was a Kunstmaler rather than a Streichmaler.
    I didn't at first see the s in your first word and thought that's amusing, the first syllable works.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited December 2019
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

"Churchill! With his cigars. With his brandy. And his rotten painting, rotten! Hitler - there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in one afternoon! Two Coats!"

Outside of The Producers I don't think anyone is claiming Hitler was a painter except in the fine art sense.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.
    That's right - the Austrian part of Germany. But I think you'll find he was a Kunstmaler rather than a Streichmaler.
    You lot are taking my joke far too seriously.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,319
    edited December 2019
    The narrative for the GE has shifted following the London Bridge terrorist incident and now the NATO conference due this week

This shift has come at the worst time for Corbyn whose history is not one that gives the public confidence he can keep us safe

I expect Boris will take advantage of this development but the one caveat is how he deals with the toxic Trump
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Sort of on-topic with the excellent header (ok not really that on-topic) I've seen very little analysis of the behaviour of moderate, rule-of-law, soft-brexity Tories with similar views to those Johnson threw out of the party. Judging by the polling numbers, my sense is that they are still sticking with party loyalty despite Johnson having rejected most of their values - though perhaps I'm wrong and their loss has been compensated by Brexit party voters.

If I remember correctly at least a couple of PB regulars who were party activists have stated here that they can't support the Conservative party in its current form but I'm not sure if they are going to DNV or Lib Dems - I assume Labour to be a step too far.

Does anyone have data/anecdote on how widespread this view is and where the votes are going? If a) significant in number and b) still not fully decided it could be another thing to factor into trying to spot late movements.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

To be fair, Corbyn is a bone fide fan, and Viera is an Arsenal legend. It is not a daft shout. Fans often want someone engrained in the passion of the club.

The Arsenal job is like Man U, a hospital pass. Following SAF or Wenger is always going to be cursed. Pochettino, I think.
    People claim its cursed because those who followed SAF have done so badly, but I do think its possible to follow a legendary manager and still succeed.
    For the prime historic example of this look at the Liverpool Boot Room days. Shankly was a legendary manager but Paisley wasn't cursed because he followed him.
  • Options
    Chuka now on Marr
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.
    Was he? He was certainly born in Austria-Hungary, but chose to join the German rather than Austrian army in 1914. After then he lived permanently in Germany, albeit a rather expanded one.

I don't think he did house painting either...
  • Options

1. Due to the Farage surrender there is a systematic reason why a Tory lead of x% now is worth less than x% at the start of November, as there will be a lot of extra Tory votes in safe seats that were previously Brexit Party votes.
    2. My reading of last night's polls was that this had happened a bit, and Labour Leavers were coming home. No idea whether they will continue, but if it's happened a little bit that makes it seem more likely than if it hadn't.
    I disagree. What we seem to be seeing, according to Yougov, is a significant reduction of the Tory vote in the south and London but generally in seats where it is going to make very little difference and a much bigger swing to the Tories in areas like the midlands and the NW where it can make a lot of difference as there are a lot of marginal seats. At the moment I am expecting the Tory vote to be a lot more efficient than it was in 2017. These models showing very small majorities on leads of 9% are, IMO, simply wrong.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Looks like your manager is Arsenal number one target
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.

PBers in relentless focus on irrelevant minutiae shock.
  • Options

Very interesting observation from the Northern correspondent of the Guardian on Marr confirming the very real worry that labour is in real trouble in the north

Long term Labour voters who are now saying "I can't vote for Jeremy Corbyn" on the doorstep. I've pointed that out for a long time on here. Entertainingly my local Labour friends appear to be on an interesting strategy - having largely accepted that their Not Corbyn vote has gone they're trying to claim that we have endorsed them so that the Remain soft Tories should go all the way and come from the Tories through the LibDems to vote (screamingly openly pro-PV) Labour.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.
    Born Austrian; naturalised German.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.org/thisday/feb25/hitler-becomes-german/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.
    Was he? He was certainly born in Austria-Hungary, but chose to join the German rather than Austrian army in 1914. After then he lived permanently in Germany, albeit a rather expanded one.

I don't think he did house painting either...
    Judging by last week’s discussion, PB’ers wouldn’t have given him a vote there, though.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

:smiley:

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Chuka now on Marr

Fair well tour?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    malcolmg said:

He is right they have been meddling and invading all these countries for many years with their pals from the US and created most of the chaos and terrorism.
    So the ideology which animates them has nothing to do with the terrorism, does it?

• Options
    Chuka on script with the LibDem’s new pitch to be the Bozo majority stoppers.
  • Options

Long term Labour voters who are now saying "I can't vote for Jeremy Corbyn" on the doorstep. I've pointed that out for a long time on here. Entertainingly my local Labour friends appear to be on an interesting strategy - having largely accepted that their Not Corbyn vote has gone they're trying to claim that we have endorsed them so that the Remain soft Tories should go all the way and come from the Tories through the LibDems to vote (screamingly openly pro-PV) Labour.
    I have yet to meet a 2017 Remain Tory who would vote for Corbyn, a few going LD but never Corbyn
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The Lord President’s committee was a triumph, as was Bevin’s work as Minister for Labour. But it was also a very emphatic rejection of the Tory record of the 1930s - ironically, given the then leadership of the Tories had been out in the cold for most of the 30s, excepting Eden’s brief spell as Foreign Secretary.
    Have a good morning.
    One of Churchill's more wistful comments in his Second World War was that looking round at his Cabinet he thought it was the most talented ever to have been assembled in the service of the Nation. He thought it unlikely such a capable Government could ever be pulled together in peacetime. In this respect, he was to be proved right.

He hated Socialism, but he was remarkably non-partisan in his respect for ability.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Hitler was an Austrian.

PBers in relentless focus on irrelevant minutiae shock.
    Well on the positive side we are not having lots of puns about it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Looks like your manager is Arsenal number one target
    Not going to happen. Rogers was on the shortlist when Emery got the job. He is happy in Leicester and enjoying himself with a great team, albeit one based on Claude Puels signings and tactics.
    Leicester doesn't sell anyone we want to keep. See the Maguire and Mahrez sagas for details.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chuka on script with the LibDem’s new pitch to be the Bozo majority stoppers.

Chuka says only the LDs can beat the Tories in their Remain seats and Labour voters should vote tactically LD
This discussion has been closed.