Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » History of the Political Punter: Always Expect the Unexpected

123457»

Comments

• Options

Labour has learned something. Diane Abbott is nowhere to be seen...

Same place as Rees-Mogg, Raab and McVey.
  • Options

Same place as Rees-Mogg, Raab and McVey.
    last time around, people I knew were arguing Abbott's uselessness was a positive thing. That sort of, if I can use a little panache, utter shitposting appears to be absent this time around.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

The 'Next Labour Leader' market is under the radar atm but there has been a big move there. Starmer is now a very clear and short priced favourite. Perhaps it does not have to be a woman after all.

I really can't see how the membership will go for him. He is surely far too centrist for their liking.
    I guess that depends on how badly Labour lose. A big loss certainly isn’t off the cards, given the potential problem some of the pollsters have with recall weighting.

If Labour lose bad, Starmer has attraction as a leading moderate. Although in their position I might be tempted to give Cooper another look and tick off the female leader box at the same time.

Starmer’s weaknesses for that gig is that he’s a technocrat with no sign of the ideology nor the gumption to play from the Kinnock playbook.
    Corbyn and his army only need to get more than the 243 seats they currently have to convince themselves they have won and the ideology will continue. If Corbyn pulls back to his 2017 seat count he will be a hero, it will be considered a Blair style landslide of unprecedented epic proportions.
    Even if they get hammered, it'll be the fault of the Blairites telling people to vote Tory, the biased media, Johnson lying, the likes of Jess Phillips dissociating votes for candidates from votes for Corbyn as PM, and (if they stay true to form) the false flag attack by Mossad on Friday night.
    Plus it'll be a great opportunity to get some true believers in change into some seats that were being blocked by wishy-washy moderates.
    I really can't see any outcome that results in a change in direction from the membership, overall. I think people have said on here the membership currently splits 60:40 between hard and soft left (approximately). As long as there's clear consensus on who the hard left candidate should be, they'll get in. Assuming Corbyn stands down.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

kinabalu said:

The 'Next Labour Leader' market is under the radar atm but there has been a big move there. Starmer is now a very clear and short priced favourite. Perhaps it does not have to be a woman after all.

I really can't see how the membership will go for him. He is surely far too centrist for their liking.
    He's the most effective Remainer though.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Many thanks to Anthony Broxton for a great read in the header.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I am not really a fan of Starmer, but I am far more comfortable with somebody like him or Cooper than a mini-me Jezza.

I'll be looking for a woman and she will need to have the following qualities -
    Highly intelligent.
    Vivacious, GSOH.
    Tough mind, Kind heart.
    Under 55.
    Passionate about reducing inequality.
    So Phillips? Any of the female Labour MPs at 1000 on betfair meet those criteria?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    BluerBlue said:

Also giving no indication that he approves of their action, the dodgy fucker.
    Corbyn has a track record with bin Laden, al-Baghdadi, and other terrorists of lamenting that they could not be arrested, ignoring all practicalities, and voicing doubt about the official narrative of those events. Anyone who believes he's saying what he really thinks here is a total mug.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

kinabalu said:

I am not really a fan of Starmer, but I am far more comfortable with somebody like him or Cooper than a mini-me Jezza.

Highly intelligent.
    Vivacious, GSOH.
    Tough mind, Kind heart.
    Under 55.
    So Phillips? Any of the female Labour MPs at 1000 on betfair meet those criteria?
    That was my first thought but I can’t gauge her intelligence.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    ukelect said:

The latest UK-Elect forecast is for a Conservative majority of 42 - Con 345 Lab 215 SNP 46 LD 20

Forecast here:
    UK-Elect Forecast December 1st 2019

Details as CSV file here:

UK-Elect Forecast Details December 1st 2019

This reflects the small but noticeable swing from the Tories to Labour in most recent opinion polls.

Your Csv file has Plaid winning 4 seats, and losing Ynys Mon to labour by 2.39%.
    But the accompanying text says Plaid win 5?

This gives them 130 more than the Labour Party's 215 seats with the Scottish National Party on 46 seats, the Liberal Democrats 25, the Democratic Unionist Party 10, Sinn Fein 7, Plaid Cymru 5, Green 1 and Others 2.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Why did Corbyn say “terrorists should not necessarily serve full sentences” this morning? It is now everywhere I look on the internet and being used against Labour. Why are they putting Burgon on the debate tonight?

I’m underwhelmed by this Tory campaign but it seems Labour are making some really bad mistakes.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

Highly intelligent.
    Vivacious, GSOH.
    Tough mind, Kind heart.
    Under 55.
    Relative to her predecessor or opponent, she would be fine on intelligence.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    kinabalu said:

Highly intelligent.
    Vivacious, GSOH.
    Tough mind, Kind heart.
    Under 55.
    Dark hair. Glasses. Defined regional accent.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Jez has made a huge error in trying to see shades of grey in the motives and behaviour of convicted terrorists. Firstly, there aren't any, secondly saying that terrorists should still be let out early when one who was has just murdered two innocent people in cold blood seems a bit mental.

Bozza should do a Jez and turn up to the ITV debate and leave Jez looking like May.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Brom said:

Why did Corbyn say “terrorists should not necessarily serve full sentences” this morning? It is now everywhere I look on the internet and being used against Labour. Why are they putting Burgon on the debate tonight?

I’m underwhelmed by this Tory campaign but it seems Labour are making some really bad mistakes.

On the first point, because he's right (for terrorism as for every other offence, it's daft to have a completely bog-standard rule for everyone - you need to look at each case), and he is just unable to say stuff that he doesn't mean. It's both lovely and infuriating.
  • Options

Brom said:

On the first point, because he's right (for terrorism as for every other offence, it's daft to have a completely bog-standard rule for everyone - you need to look at each case), and he is just unable to say stuff that he doesn't mean. It's both lovely and infuriating.
    Do you understand why Burgon is on the debate?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

Highly intelligent.
    Vivacious, GSOH.
    Tough mind, Kind heart.
    Under 55.
    hips
  • Options
    Corbyn was right, it's obviously impracticable and ludicrous that all terrorists/murderers should just serve a full term. The point of prison is supposed to be reform
  • Options
    Now Johnson is blaming Labour for the attack. This is pathetic
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    edited December 2019

Corbyn was right, it's obviously impracticable and ludicrous that all terrorists/murderers should just serve a full term. The point of prison is supposed to be reform

Why is it ludicrous that prisoners should serve their full term?
  • Options

It's also meant to deter others from committing the same crimes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If that prisoner yesterday had served his full term, it's quite possible more people would have died. He's clearly reformed, why should he be punished?
  • Options

nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

Highly intelligent.
    Vivacious, GSOH.
    Tough mind, Kind heart.
    Under 55.
    hips
    She was also useless at the last election for leader/deputy leader
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019

You're not wrong - but I don't see how having the chance of going before a parole board to prove you've been reformed, is going to change that.

I'm not arguing for automatic release (absolutely not) but I am very much arguing against having life sentences with no chance of parole.
  • Options

RobD said:

If that prisoner yesterday had served his full term, it's quite possible more people would have died. He's clearly reformed, why should he be punished?
    Was he a terrorist? I think you’re confusing 2 things. It’s incredibly stupid politics in an election period, I can only assume he was so pre occupied with ensuring people knew he supported shoot to kill that he let his guard down elsewhere.
  • Options

RobD said:

I think you should clarify which prisoner you mean to save yourself a bit of grief?
  • Options

RobD said:

That's hardly a convincing argument, how do you know he is representative of the wider prison population? And I also question the assumption that it shows he is reformed.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

I think you should clarify which prisoner you mean to save yourself a bit of grief?
    One of the heroes of the attack yesterday was a murderer on day release, who had been at the same event as the terrorist.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

Yes. If prisoners served their full terms no one would have died. It's a stupid argument.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

RobD said:

That's hardly a convincing argument, how do you know he is representative of the wider prison population? And I also question the assumption that it shows he is reformed.
    And by the same coin, you don't know that at least some of the entire prison population can't be reformed. It's not black and white - and it's a nonsense to suggest it is.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

And by the same coin, you don't know that at least some of the entire prison population can't be reformed. It's not black and white - and it's a nonsense to suggest it is.
    You are the one suggesting it is black and white, that the actions of one person can justify the existing policy of early release.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2019
    kinabalu said:

From what I've seen on Twitter, Starmer has spent much of the campaign on the road working with local CLPs, which is probably a good move if you're anticipating a leadership bid once Jezza loses.

Burgon is doing a debate? That's very 'You let Dougal do a funeral?'.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Most people would agree prisoners can be reformed but we are talking terrorists 2 days after an attack. CCHQ have seized on this and it will hurt Jezza
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

You are the one suggesting it is black and white, that the actions of one person can justify the existing policy of early release.
    No, those saying we should just have no chance of parole are those saying it's black and white. Each case needs to be looked at.
    In this case it clearly failed - but my point is that every case is different and a rule that covers every one is impracticable and ludicrous, in my view.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

RobD said:

He needed to be punished - the question is what is the appropriate punishment.

Also,can we not forget the executives obligation to protect the public.

That really should be the primary concern.
  • Options

It is arguably impossible to "reform "terrorists. I wouldn't be the one to take a chance. People have died as a result of a) being let out early, and b)not being closely supervised when let out.
    Whatever individual Parties policies are on this matter, serious questions need to be asked about why this one and others have been let out early, and Corbyn is on the wrong side of all of it.
  • Options
    Brom said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Most people would agree prisoners can be reformed but we are talking terrorists 2 days after an attack. CCHQ have seized on this and it will hurt Jezza
    I highly doubt it will - but we will see.
  • Options
    JamesPJamesP Posts: 85

I'm sure that Corbyn will find lots of support amongst swing voters for wanting murderers not to serve full terms / life.
  • Options

It is arguably impossible to "reform "terrorists. I wouldn't be the one to take a chance. People have died as a result of a) being let out early, and b)not being closely supervised when let out.
    Whatever individual Parties policies are on this matter, serious questions need to be asked about why this one and others have been let out early, and Corbyn is on the wrong side of all of it.
    But terrorists can and have been reformed. In this case it was clearly not possible and I accept that - but having a rule for everyone isn't practical. Each individual case should be looked at - and I most definitely support having to go before a parole board. Automatic release is obviously ridiculous too.
  • Options

You're not wrong - but I don't see how having the chance of going before a parole board to prove you've been reformed, is going to change that.

I'm not arguing for automatic release (absolutely not) but I am very much arguing against having life sentences with no chance of parole.
    In fact prison officers and management believe you need an incentive to encourage good behavior otherwise their jobs would be even more difficulty. The fault here, in my opinion is the automatic release without review but that needs resource as does everything.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

And you can't run the places if you lose the leverage of time off for good behaviour. How I hate gotcha politics.
  • Options
    JamesP said:

I'm sure that Corbyn will find lots of support amongst swing voters for wanting murderers not to serve full terms / life.
    Like I said before, one of the heroes of the attack was a murderer on day release. Do you think it was appropriate that he was released?
  • Options

JamesP said:

Like I said before, one of the heroes of the attack was a murderer on day release. Do you think it was appropriate that he was released?
    Again, stupid argument. If neither of them were released this wouldn't have happened.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

But terrorists can and have been reformed. In this case it was clearly not possible and I accept that - but having a rule for everyone isn't practical. Each individual case should be looked at - and I most definitely support having to go before a parole board. Automatic release is obviously ridiculous too.
    Noone cares about that though, the Tories are going to weaponise Jezza looking weak on terrorism same as he has done for the blues and the NHS
  • Options

If it wasn't possible, he should have been back inside, no ifs and no buts, and release after sentence needs looking at.. it might and in most cases probably not be possible, and if it isn't, it goes to whole life sentence.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: and so ends the 2019 season. I'll put up the post-race ramble soon. Not sure if I'll bother with a season review.

For those wondering, the season as a whole was green.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

In fact prison officers and management believe you need an incentive to encourage good behavior otherwise their jobs would be even more difficulty. The fault here, in my opinion is the automatic release without review but that needs resource as does everything.
    Exactly this. I am supportive of changing the law such that a parole hearing is compulsory - if that is what the legal review suggests is a good idea, not being a law expert I have no idea of whether it is or not so I will leave that to the experts - but the idea we should just have every case, every person in prison for ever is effectively supporting the death penalty in everything but name.
    Prison should be about reform, of course punishment should be a part of that but if we believe in reform then that should be the end goal, I think.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Noone cares about that though, the Tories are going to weaponise Jezza looking weak on terrorism same as he has done for the blues and the NHS
    We'll see how well that works.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Also giving no indication that he approves of their action, the dodgy fucker.
    No one believes him anyway.

• Options
    RobD said:

JamesP said:

Again, stupid argument. If neither of them were released this wouldn't have happened.

That isn't my point - my point was that there are clearly cases where people should have the right to early release. I'd argue on the surface that the hero was one of those people. Not knowing more about them, I don't have much other ability to comment but from what we do know, it seems that having an automatic life sentence isn't appropriate for everyone. Which is exactly what I said originally.
    Clearly in this case of the terrorist, he should not have been let out - and presumably a life sentence was appropriate in this case. But it's not appropriate in every one.
  • Options

I would dispute that. Part of the point is reform. Equally important in some cases is public protection through removal of the threat from the public. Additionally there are there are reasons of deterrence and finally there is the importance of State controlled revenge and punishment. By dealing with criminals through a system of state sanction and punishment which society agrees to abide by we grestly reduce the risk of acts of revenge by victims. To be effective in this way the public at large must be able to accept that punishments are commensurate to the crime.

Incarceration needs to provide all these results to be effective.
  • Options

JamesP said:

Has he been released - I though it said day release?
  • Options
    Floater said:

JamesP said:

Released on day release? The implication I took was that these kinds of prisoners should never be let out, ever. If that wasn't the implication then I apologise.
  • Options
    new thread
  • Options

Floater said:

JamesP said:

Released on day release? The implication I took was that these kinds of prisoners should never be let out, ever. If that wasn't the implication then I apologise.
    It does strike me, time and time again, that you're rather happy being not in full possession of the facts.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    kinabalu said:

Highly intelligent.
    Vivacious, GSOH.
    Tough mind, Kind heart.
    Under 55.
    That's nice - does the person mind whether they're reducing inequality by making the poor rich, or by making the rich poor, or not really fussed?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

about Hawaiian pizzas.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    Good and Bad news for the Conservatives.
    The bad news is that consumer confidence for November came in at -14, the worst in any election since 1983 apart from 2010 which was at -16. In 2017 it was -10, and Major in 1992 had it at -8.
    Consumer confidence being above -10 has correctly predicted government majorities in the past 8 out of 9 elections, 1997 was the only time it got it wrong.
    The good news is that their predicted majority with this week's opinion polls is stable, no change with my swingometer at a majority of 24-88 same as past week, and at 347 (up 2) with Electoral Calculus using the average regional subsamples of all pollsters.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293

Surely she is away sharing a remote cottage with no broadband or mobile connection with Rees Mogg?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Surely she is away sharing a remote cottage with no broadband or mobile connection with Rees Mogg?
    Mind bleach....mind bleach!!!! :(
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    RobD said:

JamesP said:

But why shouldn’t the hero have been entitled to a second chance in life?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    edited December 2019
    For those worried about / hopeful for a repeat of GE 2017:
    Average Tory lead (last 6 polls) 11 days ahead of GE19 = 9.2%
    Average Tory lead 11 days ahead of GE17 = 8.8%
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 27

For those worried about / hopeful for a repeat of GE 2017:
    Average Tory lead (last 6 polls) 11 days ahead of GE19 = 9.2%
    Average Tory lead 11 days ahead of GE17 = 8.8%

In statistical terms I think these are the same.
  • Options
    2/7 aren’t even standing in the election - why are they there ?

• Options
    Anyone else think that Brexit party under 0.5 seats at 1.27 is free money ?
This discussion has been closed.