Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so to the first BBC debate

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so to the first BBC debate

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    first
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    edited November 2019

They also sent them to other constituencies saying it was between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives, urging Labour voters to vote LD.

Are those other constituencies actually Con/LD marginals or are they Con/Lab marginals like this one?
    https://twitter.com/deanvelani/status/1200480030461218816
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Richard Tice is awful and the cheek to talk about planting trees when the BP couldn’t be bothered to turn up to the climate debate .
  • Options

They also sent them to other constituencies saying it was between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives, urging Labour voters to vote LD.

Are those other constituencies actually Con/LD marginals or are they Con/Lab marginals like this one?
    Did Mike agree to do this?
  • Options
    Opinion polls... must have opinion polls...
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    FPT..

isam said:

isam said:

kjohnw1 said:

IanB2 said:

earlier Battersea and now also Warrington South are clearly going to surprise us on the 12th.... Is OGH offering us odds on his yellows winning either?

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/1200464067204452352?s=20

The most worrying thing about OGH’s letters is the timing. Unless they are cleverly being sent to postal voters only, they are going out way too early. Letters like that are supposed to land in the week of polling day, as anyone with any sense at LDHQ should already know.
    I live in Warrington South and liberals have zero chance here . The town voted leave , and Faisal rashid will be voted out and Andy Carter conservative will win .
    Don't tell me a Lib Dem leaflet starts off with a false premise? deary me...

Lib dems: Lies are fine, as long as they're not on the side of a bus.
    "You know from previous elections that a vote for anyone other than the Liberal Democrats can end up with a Labour MP"

(apart from 2010 and 2015)

I posted this here last night, I no longer live in Warrington South but did in 2015 and was very disappointed David lost in 2017 he was a very good guy. Bizarre telling Tories they have no chance in a seat they are odds on favourites for. The Lib Dems are closer to the Greens in odds, ie no chance:

I can't think what convinced OGH to send this out to this constituency. The only thing that I can think is that OGH and the Lib Dems are trying to act as a spoiler so that Corbyn's Labour can hold the seat. Nothing else makes sense.
    Warrington South 2017

Labour 29,994
    Conservative 27,445
    Liberal Democrats 3,339

Simply does square with...

"The election in Warrington South is between the Labour and the Liberal Democrats."

"You know from previous elections that a vote for anyone other than the Liberal Democrats can end up with a Labour MP."
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2019

In the most recent election in Chipping Barnet, on May 23rd. the LDs were 11% ahead of the tories and 13% ahead of LAB.

• Options
    Floater said:

I'm guessing they are using his piccy without his knowledge or consent...
  • Options

In the most recent election in Chipping Barnet, on May 23rd. the LDs were 11% ahead of the tories and 13% ahead of LAB.

So you're following up your lies by insulting our intelligences? If you're embracing deceit as an electoral tactic you might as well go ahead and own it.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Try and watch the debate from the perspective of who is the better debater without being colored by either their views or use. I’m trying to watch it dispassionately to see if anybody can swing votes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Only realised tonight how popular the Lib Dems are here in the suburbs of East London. Only a vote for the yellow peril can stop the Tories, that's for sure

• Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited November 2019

So you're following up your lies by insulting our intelligences? If you're embracing deceit as an electoral tactic you might as well go ahead and own it.

It’s simply an outright lie. Sad, but par for the course these days. Desperate stuff from the Lib Dems, and hugely damaging to Mike’s reputation.
    Surely he can’t have been so foolish / brazen?

• Options

The most recent comparable election is the General Election, we all know that unless Nigel Farage is going to be PM due to the Brexit Party winning across the country. Do you seriously believe the Liberal Democrats have much better odds than the Tories at winning Warrington South? 😂 What about Warrington South screams this is between the Labour and Lib Dem Parties and the odds-on-favourite Tories are a wasted vote?

• Options

Using the Euros result that way is a bit disappointing. Would you use that as justification for placing your own bets?
  • Options

Floater said:

I would hope so!
  • Options
    edited November 2019

It’s simply an outright lie. Sad, but par for the course these days. Desperate stuff from the Lib Dems, and hugely damaging to Mike’s reputation.

If you feel like that stop using his site to attack him and go somewhere else
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    nichomar said:

Try and watch the debate from the perspective of who is the better debater without being colored by either their views or use. I’m trying to watch it dispassionately to see if anybody can swing votes.

You’re right, a debate is best approached with a view to be persuaded by the unexpected BUT

In reality how many neutral observers will be watching? I’ve gone for Mars on Netflix (On the basis of Ep.1, recommended) and I’m interested in politics.

• Options
    nichomar said:

I respect Our Genial Host a lot, that is why I am hoping the Liberal Democrats have taken advantage of his generosity and sent letters to seats he didn't pick. I don't for one second believe he personally picked Warrington South as a likely Lib Dem gain.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Floater said:

Of course they are not. But I rather fear that the permission was a general one and it is some numpty at LDHQ that is deciding where and how it is used. It is an effective technique where there is some logic behind it, but using it everywhere including seats like Hornchurch is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Whoaa there! Mr Smithson puts it out there, so he has to expect criticism. He's using the premise of this site as his credentials in the letter.
  • Options
    Jo Swinson performing quite well so far . She has a point about the spending pledges of Labour and the Tories .
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nichomar said:

If you feel like that stop using his site to attack him
    Why? Are only echo-chamber views welcome?
    Had Mike not built a deserved reputation for calling out polling methodology errors, his attempt to justify his letter based upon a low turnout non-general election ballot could have been put down to lack of knowledge.
    But we all know it was a deliberate attempt to deceive and he knows better.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    nichomar said:

Lucas. That straight to camera PPB she did the other night was different class. No other party leader could have done it.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Jo Swinson performing quite well so far . She has a point about the spending pledges of Labour and the Tories .

This format is better for her - she can stand to the side and say 'I'm not like these two'.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I think its fair to ask what has happened here.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RLB and the unknown Tory now getting shouty and shrill
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Floater said:

Of course they are not. But I rather fear that the permission was a general one and it is some numpty at LDHQ that is deciding where and how it is used. It is an effective technique where there is some logic behind it, but using it everywhere including seats like Hornchurch is just ridiculous.
    That's what I hope although the letter certainly doesn't give the impression it was LDHQ numpty who decided it rather than him. OGH has a great and well deserved and well cultivated reputation that has been built up over years, letters like this in seats the LDs aren't even competitive in don't fit that.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited November 2019
    Mum: "Who's this in the glasses?"
    Sunil: "Rebecca Long-Bailey, mum. They're saying she's a likely successor to Corbyn."
    Mum: "What? Where did they get this bimbo?"
    :lol:

Just to let you know she hasn't slagged off Jo so far this evening :)
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    I don’t want to come across as Dr Terrible, but this dogs dinner of a debate is truly diabolical. No ones answering questions, just amateurishly delivering rehearsed attack lines. All the presenter and broadcaster really wants debating there is a Tory and labour representative.
  • Options

oh god, really?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    edited November 2019
    kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

Lucas. That straight to camera PPB she did the other night was different class. No other party leader could have done it.
    Yes, she is good. A class act.
    The Tory guy has no presence. Surely not a serious tip this morning.
    RLB not doing badly, Swinson and Sturgeon a bit anonymous.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I'm a Manc, and RLB sounds dreadful. She needs way more media training if she fancies a shot at the leadership.
  • Options

Sunil: "Rebecca Long-Bailey, mum. They're saying she's a likely successor to Corbyn."

Just to let who know she hasn't slagged off Jo so far this evening :)

Bimbo?

RLB thinking on her feet and responding quite smartly, but looking at her feet the whole time. What’s that all about.
  • Options
    egg said:

I don’t want to come across as Dr Terrible, but this dogs dinner of a debate is truly diabolical. No ones answering questions, just amateurishly delivering rehearsed attack lines. All the presenter and broadcaster really wants debating there is a Tory and labour representative.

A true democratic view just let the two old parties slag it off and exclude alternative views. That’s what they want that’s what the depend on.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    The Smithson letter has been received here in St Albans.
  • Options
    He's trying to anoint his chosen successor, isn't he? I agree that he's probably given up, though.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Did the Tories send someone to this one? 😯. I thought it was a cut out sent to repeat their attack lines and avoid all questions and scrutiny.

Caroline Lucas clear winner so far.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

RLB is fighting her corner well. No one has heard of the Tory bloke or the UKIP and Welsh fellas. Sturgeon, Lucas and Swinson can't get a word in. Labour winning here!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    egg said:

Bimbo?

RLB thinking on her feet and responding quite smartly, but looking at her feet the whole time. What’s that all about.
    It's where her answers are written.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Welcome back @williamglenn.

Now that you've retired from the Commission I'm sure you'll have plenty more time to post . here. :D:p
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    edited November 2019
    egg said:

So much for plural democracy then. We get just two choices because that's all the broadcasters can cope with.
    It seems the electorate struggle with more than two choices as well.
  • Options
    Winners so far certainly not the Tories or Labour .

Get Brexit Done is getting a right kicking .
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited November 2019
    I find it amazing how Caroline Lucas has managed to remodel herself as a voice for remain when she was one of the very few non Tories arguing for a EU referendum to take place.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

egg said:

A true democratic view just let the two old parties slag it off and exclude alternative views. That’s what they want that’s what the depend on.
    Are you attacking me, or what I sense from this set up.
  • Options
    egg said:

Bimbo?

Looking down at her notes, I think.
  • Options
    Richard Tice exactly the sort of divot you expect him to be, I see.
  • Options
    Floater said:

nichomar said:

Mike actually supporting and promoting such misleading rubbish means his credibility is utterly shot. Very, very silly.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    RobD said:

Now that you've retired from the Commission I'm sure you'll have plenty more time to post . here. :D:p

I thought I’d never be able to leave. ;)
  • Options

Floater said:

nichomar said:

Mike actually supporting and promoting such misleading rubbish means his credibility is utterly shot. Very, very silly.
    What worries me most is that we- his user base- are partly responsible for giving him the platform he's abusing here.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

Coming to the conclusion that every party standing enough candidates to theoretically win a majority should have

An Andrew Neil interview, a question time appearance for an hour and after that individual interviews with whoever they please. The debate tonight isn’t taking us anywhere and wasn’t when Johnson and corbyn copped out. Maybe they could learn from the US how to run these events.
  • Options

He's trying to anoint his chosen successor, isn't he? I agree that he's probably given up, though.
    Also, events. Today of all days no one would doubt why the PM isn’t there. He may have pulled out beforehand but there couldn’t be any traction on it.
  • Options
    Nicola Sturgeon is bloody good.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

That’s the big take out so far, the claim brexit can quickly get done is under attack and being called a lie. The central plank of the Tory campaign, get brexit done, the opponents are trying to convince the voters is a big lie.
  • Options
    He may have planned to repeat the trick at the last minute again.

But with the Prime Minister dealing with the aftermath of a terrorist attack and both Corbyn and Johnson suspending campaigning tonight, he couldn’t have rocked up. There were only downsides for him if he had, and he couldn’t have accused Boris of not turning up tonight with any sense of decency.

• Options

If anyone else on this board used that as an excuse you would have shot them down in an instant. You insult every single person on here by making such an argument when you know it is utterly misleading and wrong.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Richard Tice doing lifting for the Tories lol
  • Options

RobD said:

Were you in the hotel California?
  • Options

RobD said:

Welcome back William. Good to see you posting again.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    To be absolutely fair to both Johnson and Corbyn I don't think that applies in this case because:

(a) May ran away from all of these set-pieces, Johnson has done the first head-to-head with Corbyn already and has the second to come; and, more importantly...

(b) In the immediate aftermath of a terrorist atrocity one might consider that the Prime Minister would have more vital things to do than attend a slanging match. If Corbyn were to have changed his mind and rocked up at the last minute then Johnson would not only have been equipped with the perfect excuse for not following suit, but the Tories could plausibly have argued that Corbyn was exploiting the circumstances (in which innocent people have died) to try to score cheap political points off the Prime Minister

Thus Corbyn, having elected to nominate his own substitute too in advance of this debate, was arguably correct not to have committed the volte face that this particular commentator bemoans.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No secret pact, eh? :lol:
  • Options

egg said:

Bimbo?

It's where her answers are written.....
    On the bottom of the shoe is price for a trick?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Labour getting criticised from both sides for their ridiculous Brexit policy.
  • Options
    Adam Price seems good.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Is it a two horse race ?
  • Options
    Tuned in late, but this looks like easily the best run debate of the campaign.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

But with the Prime Minister dealing with the aftermath of a terrorist attack and both Corbyn and Johnson suspending campaigning tonight, he couldn’t have rocked up. There were only downsides for him if he had, and he couldn’t have accused Boris of not turning up tonight with any sense of decency.

I doubt very much that the PM is dealing in detail with this terrorist attack in fact I would hope he is not. As long as he is happy it is being handled correctly he should keep out of the way.
  • Options

RobD said:

That Hotel California feeling. If only there was a political event that was similar.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:

Heh. In all seriousness though, welcome back!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No secret pact, eh? :lol:
    It doesn’t work like that. If he is good at attacking labour, that’s votes for BREX at expense of `tories
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Pulpstar said:

What do u mean, please? I'm not watching it.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I doubt very much that the PM is dealing in detail with this terrorist attack in fact I would hope he is not.
    He ducked the event well before the incident. Probably making a bus from an old wine box tonight.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Is it a two horse race ?
    Yes - he’s backing Plaid to beat the Conservative in St Albans, based upon last year’s election of Dai Davies to the tea committee of the cricket club 2nd XIs.

• Options

Not on her best form tonight though.
  • Options
    Robinson is running a masterclass on how to do this for all the others presenters.
  • Options
    egg said:

Well, I'm tuning in late, but she is doing very well.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

When you're in a hole etc... ;)
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    nichomar said:

It could be worse. They could have sent Richard Burgon and Mark Francois.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    TOTP 1988 much more entertaining. Oh the memories.
  • Options
    egg said:

She is always impressive to to those of us South of the border, so much more capable than our numpty parties.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639

Thanks for reminding me to watch the show.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

nichomar said:

“ It could be better. They could have sent Richard Burgon and Mark Francois.‘
    Corrected it for you. I would like to see that.
  • Options
    egg said:

nico67 said:

That’s the big take out so far, the claim brexit can quickly get done is under attack and being called a lie. The central plank of the Tory campaign, get brexit done, the opponents are trying to convince the voters is a big lie.
    With 5 of the 7 attendees being devoted to overturning Brexit, are you surprised? It is the entire purpose of this ridiculous spectacle.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I doubt very much that the PM is dealing in detail with this terrorist attack in fact I would hope he is not. As long as he is happy it is being handled correctly he should keep out of the way.
    He will be being briefed. We do not yet know that there aren’t wider security or intelligence implications and an ongoing incident that could escalate.

Even if he hadn’t declined earlier, I know where I would rather the PM was tonight than joining this bun-fight of the pygmies.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

nichomar said:

That show is on the Comedy Channel.
  • Options

To be absolutely fair to both Johnson and Corbyn I don't think that applies in this case because:

(a) May ran away from all of these set-pieces, Johnson has done the first head-to-head with Corbyn already and has the second to come; and, more importantly...

(b) In the immediate aftermath of a terrorist atrocity one might consider that the Prime Minister would have more vital things to do than attend a slanging match. If Corbyn were to have changed his mind and rocked up at the last minute then Johnson would not only have been equipped with the perfect excuse for not following suit, but the Tories could plausibly have argued that Corbyn was exploiting the circumstances (in which innocent people have died) to try to score cheap political points off the Prime Minister

Thus Corbyn, having elected to nominate his own substitute too in advance of this debate, was arguably correct not to have committed the volte face that this particular commentator bemoans.
    Generally a fair comment, but I really hope Johnson is not doing anything other than mouth platitudes in the aftermath of the attack. It is when Boris tries to do things that they go awfully wrong. Let others (those who are competent) take action. Boris needs to stick to what he does best - waffle to the media.
  • Options
    egg said:

She is in a different class to most other politicians in the UK. Even when she is off her game she is still better than most others.
  • Options
    Xmas present suggestion for any bloggers out there:

“ How to Protect (or Destroy) Your Reputation Online: The Essential Guide to Avoid Digital Damage, Lock Down Your Brand, and Defend Your Business”
  • Options

Bloody hell how did he know there was going to be a terrorist attack today that would take his undivided attention? He should have been scheduled to attend, he wasn’t terror attack in this scenario is irrelevant.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

nichomar said:

He will be being briefed. We do not yet know that there aren’t wider security or intelligence implications and an ongoing incident that could escalate.

Even if he hadn’t declined earlier, I know where I would rather the PM was tonight than joining this bun-fight of the pygmies.
    Seems a shame to miss the one bunfight where he might just be able to hold his own, though?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

egg said:

nico67 said:

With 5 of the 7 attendees being devoted to overturning Brexit, are you surprised? It is the entire purpose of this ridiculous spectacle.
    That is good for the Tories. It means they get to keep the bulk of the Leave vote and Labour get grouped with the SNP.

Oh and the libdems get grouped with Corbyn.
  • Options

egg said:

She is in a different class to most other politicians in the UK. Even when she is off her game she is still better than most others.
    So why is it used by Labour’s opponents that to allow her to support you in government is so dangerous and disgusting? Tories won in 2015 by putting wee EdM in her pocket.
  • Options

Xmas present suggestion for any bloggers out there:

“ How to Protect (or Destroy) Your Reputation Online: The Essential Guide to Avoid Digital Damage, Lock Down Your Brand, and Defend Your Business”

I see what you did there....
  • Options

Then you deserve the ordure that will be heaped upon you.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2019
    I don't quite see why Mike Smithson has to put up with Labour & Tory party supporters questioning his integrity.

I mean, the Labour & Tory parties are running extremely duplicitous campaigns themselves.

When you are clean, you have earned the right to comment on other people's dirt. But if you are covered in ordure yourself ... then you should shut up.
  • Options

Just to let you know she hasn't slagged off Jo so far this evening :)

I have heard RLB called many things (harridan, Stalin's daughter, boredom in human form etc), but I have never heard her called a bimbo. Very disrespectful to the stars of all those reality programmes.
  • Options

Robin Beck's "First Time" was number one this week 31 years ago.
  • Options
    Good evening all. If Corbyn has given up as suggested by Tom Peck I reckon he needs a talking to from PB's own Man called Horse and Mysticrose. It's on, as Horse keeps reminding us.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

When you're in a hole etc... ;)
    It does look to have been a bit of a silly thing to do.
This discussion has been closed.