Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now the YouGov MRP projection – a CON majority of 68

Comments

• Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

JohnO said:

So if Skinner does lose, with Ken Clarke's retirement, who will be the new Father/Mother of the House?

I think it's Harriet, isn't it?
    No. She was elected in 1982, Bottomley in 1975 by-election (or 76,...haven’t checked).
    Yep, Bottomley 75, Sheerman 79 election (And field if he survives) them Harriet 82 and on to the 83 mob.
    YouGov has Field getting around 10% in Birkenhead, to the Labour candidate's 50%. Not a plausible outcome at all.
    Agreed. That'a a huge problem with MRP polling
    It was hugely exciting an hour and half ago, is it now going in a bin 😕.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,158
    olm said:

Is there anything on how YG have assessed tactical voting in this MRP?

For example I suspect East Devon will be possibly (the only) Independent win (Claire Wright): if tactical voting works.

(Seems incomprehensible why Greens and LDs stood against her, and Lab for that matter).

And it could come significantly into play with those close SNP/Con seats and with PC/Con/Lab in Ynys Môn.

Tactical voting seats will be the most difficult to estimate using this method because demographics obviously cannot take tactical voting into account.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,476
    Floater said:

Floater said:
    Corbyn really was terrible, so you can't blame the useless old duffer! If Corbyn is ducking out Boris really shouldn't do them either.
    I wonder if our labour voters will still be shouting about cowardice
    Corbyn's already dead fox has well and truly been shot. This is excellent news for Johnson as he has the capacity to turn an interview into a crisis. Also with today's fantastic Tory Yougov results why should Johnson take the risk?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    edited November 2019
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Bolsover Cons 42% Labour 38%, Skinner out

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/

oh, that would be priceless

Explains the ever more hysterical lies from Labour
    Were you still up for the Beast?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Remember Nuneaton being the kind of seat Labour used to need to win? Apparently that's basically a safe seat now.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

What sort of horrendous alphabetical order is this ?

W07000041 Ynys Môn
    W07000042 Delyn
    W07000043 Alyn and Deeside
    W07000044 Wrexham
    W07000045 Llanelli

Where do you get those codes from?
    They are ons gss codes..
  • Options
    Floater said:
    "a seven-way debate between party leaders on the BBC on Friday night will feature Rebecca Long-Bailey, the shadow business secretary, in Mr Corbyn’s place."

The annointed one, if more proof were really needed. Still available at 9/2 as next Labour leader.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Remember Nuneaton being the kind of seat Labour used to need to win? Apparently that's basically a safe seat now.

The archetypal white working-class constituency in the Midlands. Corbyn would be very unpopular there.
  • Options

Floater said:
    "a seven-way debate between party leaders on the BBC on Friday night will feature Rebecca Long-Bailey, the shadow business secretary, in Mr Corbyn’s place."

The annointed one, if more proof were really needed. Still available at 9/2 as next Labour leader.
    Yep. But Pidcock...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Much better for Labour than I expected. Just shows that with a decent leader the Tories would be toast.

Since when is a bigger Tory majority than Blair got in 2005 good for Labour?

Getting over 200 seats with Jeremy Corbyn as leader would be an extraordinary result for Labour. It gives the party a thoroughly undeserved chance to bounce back, especially given what’s coming down the line. My expectation was (is) comfortably sub-200.

• Options
    If I remember correctly from the photo posted on twitter earlier today, Tories have lost ~30 seats over the past week or so (according to their model).
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited November 2019
    It's annoying that YouGov don't put the confidence intervals into their spreadsheet, but only publish it for each constituency graphically.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

JohnO said:

So if Skinner does lose, with Ken Clarke's retirement, who will be the new Father/Mother of the House?

No. She was elected in 1982, Bottomley in 1975 by-election (or 76,...haven’t checked).
    Yep, Bottomley 75, Sheerman 79 election (And field if he survives) them Harriet 82 and on to the 83 mob.
    YouGov has Field getting around 10% in Birkenhead, to the Labour candidate's 50%. Not a plausible outcome at all.
    Entirely plausible. MPs flatter themselves thinking they have large personal votes. They do not. This applies to independents like Grieve as much as Field.
    YouGov picked up a large amount of support for the independent in East Devon.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Round my way Cons forecast to hold Chingford 49% to 40%, to gain Dagenham 39% to 37%, to hold Harlow 59% to 32%, to hold Thurtod 55% to 31%, to hold Epping Forest 60% to 19%

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/mrp-election-poll-boris-johnson-heads-for-big-majority-qrqsq9f7r

Those all sound right to me. And I can see Chipping Barnet being a problem for the Tories: maybe you Essex Tories ought to move over there to do some campaigning for Theresa Villiers.
    Perhaps but also need to ensure Dagenham goes blue as forecast too
    Surprised the Tory majority isn't a bit more than 2% in 70% Leave-voting Dagenham.
    Dagenham has a lower population of Boomers than national average (26% vs 31%). Age is the strongest indicator of voting intention, even more than Brexit IMO.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Lol at Hodges attacking others for overreacting!
  • Options
    Artist said:

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Entirely plausible. MPs flatter themselves thinking they have large personal votes. They do not. This applies to independents like Grieve as much as Field.
    I hope they manage it - a rare occurrence that.
    Ooh, handy
    https://twitter.com/forwardnotback/status/1199823502364282880
  • Options
    Artist said:

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Yes, but that is different. She is not a former MP who left their party and stood against it like the others.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    The purpose of MRP is not to accurately predict every seat, but to accurately predict the total number of seats like the Exit Poll.
    With 632 seats it's reliable but with 50 states it's not, the sample would be too small for states that are as large as a european country by them selves, that's why yougov's american MRP failed in the 2016 US presidential election.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1199830741422673920

If some of this type of stuff comes to pass, then 2019 will be a watershed election
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Brom said:

kle4 said:

I notice YouGov MRP still have most of the North going Labour....but the midlands like Stoke going Tory.

I seem to recall the regional voting polling from a month or so ago suggested that actually the Midlands, part of it at any rate, is even stronger for the Tories than the south now, which is interesting.
    This won’t surprise anyone who knows the Midlands. Incredibly patriotic and makes up a tonne of the lads who follow England away. It also has a history of voting Tory, more so than many of the Northern pit towns where I expect drift home to Labour.
    Having lived in the Midlands most of my life, I do agree. The Midlands industrial culture was mostly one of smaller enterprising firms, particularly in engineering. The motor industry being the only major nationalised one, and that was nationalised late on. This is quite a contrast with the old coal, steel and ship building towns of the NE and Wales.
    As a result, the Midlands is a culture more open to free enterprise and markets, and Conservatism.

The Midlands will be a bloodbath for Labour. Corbyn is designed to repel Midlands voters.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

olm said:

For example I suspect East Devon will be possibly (the only) Independent win (Claire Wright): if tactical voting works.

(Seems incomprehensible why Greens and LDs stood against her, and Lab for that matter).

And it could come significantly into play with those close SNP/Con seats and with PC/Con/Lab in Ynys Môn.

Tactical voting seats will be the most difficult to estimate using this method because demographics obviously cannot take tactical voting into account.
    😶. Aren’t all seats tactical voting seats in this election.
    Take Mogg seat as an example. Is it % swing since last election, as Jeremy vine would display, or in fact adding up all leave votes in the seat giving to Mogster, all remain votes in the seat giving them to libdem, and calculating what swing remain need to oust leader of the house, factoring in libdem done well in seat this year giving Jacob a libdem counsellor, and that the voters put in Labour MP few elections ago?
  • Options

Lol at Hodges attacking others for overreacting!
    Well he knows what it looks like!
  • Options
    I think you can see some of the reasoning behind this study in the fact that Wirral West is "likely Lab" and Wirral South is "lean Lab". I assume that's because Wirral West is a more prosperous constituency and therefore the Labour performance is assumed to be stronger on this occasion. But I'm not sure it's right in terms of those two Wirral seats.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Foxy said:

Brom said:

kle4 said:

I notice YouGov MRP still have most of the North going Labour....but the midlands like Stoke going Tory.

I seem to recall the regional voting polling from a month or so ago suggested that actually the Midlands, part of it at any rate, is even stronger for the Tories than the south now, which is interesting.
    This won’t surprise anyone who knows the Midlands. Incredibly patriotic and makes up a tonne of the lads who follow England away. It also has a history of voting Tory, more so than many of the Northern pit towns where I expect drift home to Labour.
    Having lived in the Midlands most of my life, I do agree. The Midlands industrial culture was mostly one of smaller enterprising firms, particularly in engineering. The motor industry being the only major nationalised one, and that was nationalised late on. This is quite a contrast with the old coal, steel and ship building towns of the NE and Wales.
    As a result, the Midlands is a culture more open to free enterprise and markets, and Conservatism.

The Midlands will be a bloodbath for Labour. Corbyn is designed to repel Midlands voters.

Easily solved. Put a Peaky Blinders cap on his head.

Seriously, if they are holding up in cities, youth quake mark 2 around Uni’s, dying hard in NE and late recovery in Wales, they need to be slaughtered somewhere for the predictions to be accurate.
    Didn’t feel like that though even in early 18 point lead days whenever Boris went there. I recall Big G getting excited by Boris making innuendo in a Coventry factory amongst middle aged men, but doesn’t their wives cancel out those votes?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Much better for Labour than I expected. Just shows that with a decent leader the Tories would be toast.

Getting over 200 seats with Jeremy Corbyn as leader would be an extraordinary result for Labour. It gives the party a thoroughly undeserved chance to bounce back, especially given what’s coming down the line. My expectation was (is) comfortably sub-200.

Absolutely. I have the Tories around 400 too, based on very indifferent support for the LDs.
    To be honest Labour deserve to be sub 200, but then again so do the Tories under Boris, but sadly they are currently operating in the high 300s with more to come.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    kle4 said:

Artist said:

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Ooh, handy
    That is very useful. So Labour probably need to win Grimsby and Dudley North to make it a hung parliament. That’s a tough ask with their Brexit policy.
  • Options
    Cons to hold Herts SW comfortably but Gauke 2nd, Cons 46%, Gauke 19%, LDs 15%
  • Options
    egg said:

Foxy said:

Brom said:

kle4 said:

Easily solved. Put a Peaky Blinders cap on his head.
    Corbyn is daft enough to have the blade facing inwards.
  • Options
    egg said:

Andy_JS said:

olm said:

Take Mogg seat as an example. Is it % swing since last election, as Jeremy vine would display, or in fact adding up all leave votes in the seat giving to Mogster, all remain votes in the seat giving them to libdem, and calculating what swing remain need to oust leader of the house, factoring in libdem done well in seat this year giving Jacob a libdem counsellor, and that the voters put in Labour MP few elections ago?
    Most seats are safe seats and therefore tactical voting won't feature much.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    If you’re a Tory supporter I expect you’d wish the next two weeks flies by and just want it over and done with.

I think the danger for the Tories is really to not drop the Ming vase . Johnson really just has to avoid any gaffes and hope the Trump visit goes okay .

That visit must be causing some concern in no 10 , although I expect Trump to stay on message re the NHS he can still do some damage.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Grieve is doing quite well in the poll with 28% (though not well enough). I still haven't fully understood how they trade off their small constituency samples and demographic projections.

Looking at the minor parties: Lucas romps home in Brighton, but the Greens don't make much progress in Bristol or anywhere else. BXP stand to come second in Barnsley Central, and get 20% in a dozen or so seats, but they're not close to winning anywhere on these figures. Not many SNP marginals and Plaid has little to win or lose. No Northern Ireland figures here.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

The archetypal white working-class constituency in the Midlands. Corbyn would be very unpopular there.
    At 32.2% Nuneaton is above national average in proportion of Boomers.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Some of the best holds for Labour according to the model: Plymouth Sutton & Devonport, Portsmouth South, Canterbury, Croydon Central, Reading East, Bridgend, Gower, Newport West, Lincoln, Gedling, Lancaster.

Lincoln is the one that seems the most anomalous.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

If you’re a Tory supporter I expect you’d wish the next two weeks flies by and just want it over and done with.

I think the danger for the Tories is really to not drop the Ming vase . Johnson really just has to avoid any gaffes and hope the Trump visit goes okay .

That visit must be causing some concern in no 10 , although I expect Trump to stay on message re the NHS he can still do some damage.

Yep I think that is a good summary of where we are. Unless we see a real uptick in the polls this is going to be very nervy next couple of weeks.
  • Options

First reactions:
    I'm pretty content with how the MRP compares with my somewhat simpler model using similar vote shares. The MRP has the Conservatives on 359 seats across GB, based on an 11% lead. My own model has them on 332 in England alone, when the same 43/32/14/3 split is applied. Allowing for Scotland and Wales, that seems in the same sort of ball park with the MRP predicting maybe a handful more Conservative gains net (a difference which can be narrowed down to its the virtual absence of LD net gains.)
    On an 11% lead I've also got the Conservatives picking up quite a few heavily Leave seats such as Wolves NE (Lab) and Norfolk N (LD), whilst failing to pick up some heavily Labour Remain seats such as Kensington.
    That said, a question over the MRP model has to be over the assumptions that lead the LDs to pick up only 1 net seat despite nearly doubling their 2017 vote share. How reasonable are the assumptions on tactical voting built in to the MRP model, and can likely behaviours in individual seats really be captured by multi-level regression modelling alone?
    The other question is the data time frame in the model. Although it is based on data up to 26th November, how far back does that time frame extend? As there is clear evidence of narrowing in the polls, an 11% gap seems a bit high based on current polling.

It is high. The whole shebang could be based on a Tory poll lead that isn't there.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Brom said:

kle4 said:

Artist said:

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Ooh, handy
    That is very useful. So Labour probably need to win Grimsby and Dudley North to make it a hung parliament. That’s a tough ask with their Brexit policy.
    I'm amazed they have Dudley North as close.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Extraordinarily bad yes, even when squeezing the Liberal vote to death unlike 1983 Corbyn still does worse than Ed Miliband and Kinnock and Gordon Brown
  • Options
    What does the merp say about the Swindon and Blackpool seats?
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

It ain't going to happen. This is based on Tories winning by 11 and the campaign is going all Labour's way over the past week.

For the Tories, all they can hope for is no more slip-ups and hope that enough tight seats go their way. They have to also hope that the Lib Dems can get a bit of traction and take back a few % from Labour.

It's true that yougov found that Labour where closing the gap by around 0.5% per day since Nov.20 till today. If that trend continues until polling day then the swing would fall to just 2%, which would make a Consevative majority of around 0-20.
    Another thing, if Labour continue to rise it should impact the SNP in Scotland just like the Conservative surge did.
  • Options

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Grieve is doing quite well in the poll with 28% (though not well enough). I still haven't fully understood how they trade off their small constituency samples and demographic projections.

Looking at the minor parties: Lucas romps home in Brighton, but the Greens don't make much progress in Bristol or anywhere else. BXP stand to come second in Barnsley Central, and get 20% in a dozen or so seats, but they're not close to winning anywhere on these figures. Not many SNP marginals and Plaid has little to win or lose. No Northern Ireland figures here.
    I think the Greens will be ahead of Labour on IOW, not third place in this MRP. I agree that it doesn't seem to anticipate tactical voting very well.
    If I can find enough time at the weekend, I shall produce my own spreadsheet model.
  • Options
    olmolm Posts: 125
    edited November 2019

Andy_JS said:

HaroldO said:

Here is one question; Why are Labour not looking like winning a majority of their own, in fact they are nowhere near doing so?
    I mean they are literally telling the public they can make their lives hugely better, and all for almost free yet they are nowhere near holding power outright.

Because voters realise that promises of free money isn't wise.
    Some voters. Not a sufficient number for the Tories.

Though that said, things would be very different without Scotland.

Here's what probably happens in the event of a Hung Parliament:

1. SNP, Lib Dems and Labour Europhiles all insist on a 2nd EU referendum. It is held. Narrow win for Remain.
    2. In helping to shove the UK back into the EU, the SNP then wreck their 2nd shot at independence, because they can't convince enough Scottish voters why leaving the EU under one set of terms was a disaster but leaving under another set of terms would be a panacea

If it weren't for Scottish votes the Tories could win outright with 296 seats and would be better than 90% likely to bring it home against any plausible Labour surge. But that's a counterfactual. In the real world the Scottish votes are there, and the SNP may soon end up in a most invidious position.

If they successfully lobby for Britain's place in Europe then they'll probably end up locking Scotland into the UK too.
    Indeed, BUT simultaneously, if UK remains in EU the case for Scotland to leave becomes much less hard to argue (WRT borders, trade, standards, free movement, currency. Same for Irish Unification).

The previous argument suggesting Scotland should stay in the UK to remain in the EU has been revealed as the joke it was, and the (meaningless) 'Vow' can't be repeated this time. They'll also get their currency act together, and won't be arguing on oil anymore which was always tenuous and volatile; the Greens there will put a more cogent argument with them.

If SNP win big and there's a hung parliament, that is really the only chance in near future; the spectre of Boris Johnson and Tories and Brexit having been kept out by a nick might still be enough. The main impediment would be the LDs (and Con) trying to block a ref if there was a Lab min Gov.

Sturgeon better make a better attack on Johnson then Lab and Corbyn (who doesn't do such personal attacks), and she's started.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Brom said:

kle4 said:

Artist said:

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Ooh, handy
    I'm amazed they have Dudley North as close.
    It's 20% EM and they'll stick with Labour in the main.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    egg said:

You can play with it here:

• Options
    nico67 said:

If Trump does drop a clanger, it [Love] actually gives Boris a priceless PR opportunity - "I'm sorry Mr. President, but our NHS is not for sale to anyone, for any price. Not even to you".

Now that would be a dramatic end to the campaign :smile:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Artist said:

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Ooh, handy
    Seems very, very strange that Bolsover has a bigger Tory majority proposed than Warrington South.
    Warrington South was Tory 2010-2017
  • Options
    egg said:

Both Swindon seats are likely Con. Blackpool North is likely Con. Blackpool South is leans Con.
  • Options
    I think this is very bad for Johnson.

If the cut through tomorrow around the water cooler is that he is nailed on for a decent majority of 60+ then some voters will think twice, given the unconscious wished result is a plague on both crap houses.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

Cons to hold Herts SW comfortably but Gauke 2nd, Cons 46%, Gauke 19%, LDs 15%

Gauke splitting the remain vote. Superb.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Extraordinarily bad yes, even when squeezing the Liberal vote to death unlike 1983 Corbyn still does worse than Ed Miliband and Kinnock and Gordon Brown

Labour should be doing much, much worse in my opinion.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

What's the average?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

egg said:

Andy_JS said:

olm said:

If this was two weeks before 92 who predicted Patten to fall?
  • Options
    Henrietta said:

It's annoying that YouGov don't put the confidence intervals into their spreadsheet, but only publish it for each constituency graphically.

Can you give a link to the spreadsheet?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,507
    Norwich South is almost an exact transposition of my placard report yesterday. I am awesome ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited November 2019

If the cut through tomorrow around the water cooler is that he is nailed on for a decent majority of 60+ then some voters will think twice, given the unconscious wished result is a plague on both crap houses.

If the Tories had any sense they would be taking this and going all Lib Dems and for all the close seats putting the bar charts on there with a clear message.
  • Options

After 2017, no one will believe it, and no doubt worse polls will come out between now and election day that will create the impression of a tight race and avoid complacency.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Torbay 58% Cons 25% LD.

LDs now polling higher in Kensington, Chelsea and Fulham, Cities of London and Westminster and Wimbledon than a seat they held from 1997 to 2015
  • Options
    Lab activist minds are being focussed:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1199827794949296128
  • Options
    What an absolute bell-end he is. Middle class overgrown schoolboy cosplaying as a member of the proletariat.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1199830741422673920

If some of this type of stuff comes to pass, then 2019 will be a watershed election

Unless it’s based on certain demographic wanting brexit done, and then going off it when having it.
  • Options

What an absolute bell-end he is. Middle class overgrown schoolboy cosplaying as a member of the proletariat.
    Well he has moved on from cosplaying as a violent anarchic....
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Is this poll gonna have cut-through with anyone other than us nerds? It may in turn build a narrative in the media of comfortable Tory win that is dangerous for Boris, but on the other hand all other recent polls have showed a narrowing. The Tories can whip out the Survations and ICMs of this world, with their 7% leads, and say 'look chaps, this is just way too tight'.

In addition, the Tories can point wavering Brexiteers in northern and Midlands seats to 2017 for what happens when people give their vote to magic Grandpa: hung parliament, no Brexit.
  • Options
    Ynys Mon: leans Conservative.

Con 35%
    Lab 28%
    PC 28%
    BRX 9%

LDs and Greens are negligible.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

But all the seats they are winning are ones that wish to get Brexit done. He knows that and the message is resonating. He is harnessing Brexit to win the election and he knows it is more powerful than the plague on both their houses message.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    PaulM said:

MRP has Leigh as Con Gain.

No. Just no. Leigh is not blue.

Leigh isn't going Tory. No chance. And I wonder whether that points to the shortcomings of the MRP approach - places like Leigh demographically should not be as staunch Labour as they are - negligible BAME, above average home ownership etc But 100 years of Labour MPs and Labour councillors has to count for something
    It could be this years Canterbury.
  • Options
    Surely it must be time of the campaign where we get the stupid open chain letters filling up newspapers.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Some of the best holds for Labour according to the model: Plymouth Sutton & Devonport, Portsmouth South, Canterbury, Croydon Central, Reading East, Bridgend, Gower, Newport West, Lincoln, Gedling, Lancaster.

Lincoln is low on the Boomer percentage at 27.6%
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090

HYUFD said:

What’s so extraordinary about it? They did it two years ago. Small sample size(!) but labour have never not got over 200 seats with Corbyn as leader
  • Options
    If things are on schedule we should get a MORI poll in tomorrow's evening standard.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Is Boomer the new gammon?
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    egg said:

Andy_JS said:

egg said:

Andy_JS said:

olm said:

If this was two weeks before 92 who predicted Patten to fall?
    As I recall it was widely predicted he was in trouble, to the point where it was suggested he could take leave from party chairman duties and campaign in his seat full time, but he chose not to.
  • Options
    Hyndburn: leans Con.

Con 43%, Lab 39%, BRX 10%, LD 5%, Grn 2%.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If things are on schedule we should get a MORI poll in tomorrow's evening standard.

• Options

RobD said:

In 12 hours, if things are exactly the same as last week. :o
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Labour should be doing much, much worse in my opinion.

I really beg to differ here.

The Tories have been in charge for nearly a decade (the majority of which with out a majority) presided over some pretty tough economic measures (as needed as they may have been, still vastly unpopular) leading the absolute shambles of brexit, having gone through 3 Prime Ministers, multiple MP's leaving the party to cross the floor. That's just the start.

Bear in mind Major's victory in 1992 is the only occasion of a party winning 4 consecutive general elections since 1900. So to suggest that Labour should be doing worse than losing 50+ seats and recording their worst general election result in terms of seats since 1935, in what would be their 4th consecutive general election loss is frankly astonishing.

If any Corbynistas are reading this, Just know that the any other Labour leader should be thrashing the Tories at the moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Unlikely as most of the seats where LD swing to Labour would count are Labour holds anyway, the Tories gains are mainly in Leave seats the LDs vote is negligible and there is a big Brexit Party vote to squeeze. Those seats are pro Boris and pro Brexit
  • Options

Floater said:

They are pointing out it’s another one Boris playing safety first from, maybe in greenhouse with kinnock? It’s that poor chief sec to the tres again, or cannon fodder as probably known in CCHQ.
    And Jo and Nic will say why’s Boris running scared from debating us, and will go easy on wrongbaileys all being sisters together.
    No I did not mention the Scottish play.
    Farage is there to uptick his own vote. What’s lost on some People is when Farage so effectively lays into labour its Tory votes he’s winning.
  • Options

Surely it must be time of the campaign where we get the stupid open chain letters filling up newspapers.

Where do I sign...
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

RobD said:

And, given their latest leader approval stats it's almost certainly going to show a narrowing of the lead.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

What's the average?
    Nationally it is 31.7% Boomers. The Standard deviation is fairly small by eyeballing the data, but not easy to calculate from the HOC data.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    llef said:

Yougov have cons winning ynys Mon.
    I pointed out earlier that the 5/1 with Ladbrokes seemed good value.
    Camel should be happy!

Yes, 5/1 in Ynys Mon would be up there with my 2017 Hallam surprise. I have 3s on North Norfolk too,
    If this was the election result it would be bittersweet. Betting-wise, literally as good as it gets. Politically speaking, upsetting.
    I expect some movement over the next 13 days though.
  • Options
    We'll know when they update their model closer in to the vote.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited November 2019
    Just watching the Corbyn interview, what is really telling is he has no idea about the financial side of things. McDonnell has clearly told him x,y and z and Jezza is so dense he has thought that it doesn't sound quite right.
    He didn't even understand the question about what proportion of the tax take the rich pay, nor did he have any idea of what it is.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Is Boomer the new gammon?
    No, but age is a very strong indicator of voting intention, perhaps stronger than Brexit vote.
    I am a tail end Boomer myself, just a month off being Gen X, a demographic that I feel is a better fit.
  • Options

Well he has moved on from cosplaying as a violent anarchic....
    He sounds drunk.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Surprised to see Lincoln still red. I think it will go Blue on the day.

Only the students could keep it red. I think it maybe breaks up later than most Unis
    It does. 23rd December which is pretty damn mean.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Last time round, Tories outperformed the MRP by 2.2% on average, Labour 2.1%, Plaid 0.9%.

Everyone else underperformed; SNP 1.4%, Lib Dems 1.9%, UKIP 1.6%, Greens 0.5%.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    BluerBlue said:

nico67 said:

If Trump does drop a clanger, it [Love] actually gives Boris a priceless PR opportunity - "I'm sorry Mr. President, but our NHS is not for sale to anyone, for any price. Not even to you".

Now that would be a dramatic end to the campaign :smile:
    It would be but any mention of the NHS being part of trade talks from Trump would be a disaster for Johnson regardless of his come back.

I don’t see Trump causing problems over the NHS but there are other areas in which he could cause some problems.
  • Options
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited November 2019
    Andy_JS said:

Henrietta said:

Can you give a link to the spreadsheet?
    Link. From this page.
  • Options

Brom said:

Surprised to see Lincoln still red. I think it will go Blue on the day.

Only the students could keep it red. I think it maybe breaks up later than most Unis
    It does. 23rd December which is pretty damn mean.
    Are there no workhouses?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Pulpstar said:

Con Gain Wakefield, not particularly close either.

I'll stake my trousers that this will not happen in two weeks time.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,507
    Controversial take time
    Jezzas hamfisted document disaster today of 451 pages of nothing has given Boz the chance to say categorically the NHS is safe with him and has left labour looking like comspiracy nutcases. And yesterday rumbles on.... no apology no apology no apology with voters split down the middle on if the old trot is anti semitic
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It won't be, the Tories gains are almost all in Leave seats that want to get Brexit done, Labour's gains in Remain seats in 2017 are largely Labour holds
  • Options
    RobD said:

We should also get an ELBOW on Sunday :)
This discussion has been closed.