Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling that’s persuaded me that turnout will be greater t

1235»

Comments

• Options
    camel said:

Stocky said:

Gabs3 said:

"I still can't see the phrase "British Prime Minister Laura Pidcock" ever happening."

Philip_Thompson said:

"Would be hilarious to see her lose her seat at the election, if only for @Gallowgate 's reaction at seeing County Durham constituencies turning blue!"

Be careful what you wish for. Pidcock leading the Labour Party would be great news for you Tories.

Piddy is in my top five media performers of this election. She's sparky.

The others are lovely Layla, Chukka, Rishi Sunak and Sal Brinton. So something for everyone there.
    I can't think who Sal Brinton is off the top of my head, but Rishi Sunak should surely make the Cabinet next term.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

How is Boris anything but One Nation?

As much a small group of Europhiles in the last Parliament tried to co-opt the term One Nation to mean Europhile. One Nation ≠ Europhile.

Boris is nothing but Brand Boris. Have we really not grasped this yet?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,203
    As nobody has yet posted the most reliable guide to the 2020 Democratic Party candidates, here it is. You're welcome, Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8EQFhj8ca4

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,742
    camel said: "Piddy is in my top five media performers of this election. She's sparky.

The others are lovely Layla, Chukka, Rishi Sunak and Sal Brinton. So something for everyone there."

I have a nice little 250/1 bet tucked away for Rishi Sunak. Rising star.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Looks like cross over is imminent there. :D
    I believe crossover had already happened on RobD's chart.
  • Options
    Brom said:

There is definitely something going on with the Majority betting market.
    1.41 Tory majority is the shortest I've seen it for years (correct me if I'm wrong!), Perhaps it is natural movement but more likely there are some polls out there we don't know about yet.

On Sunday Betfred went from 4/9 when I set out to 2/5 when I reached the shop. I had to ask them to check.
  • Options

Its not how it is. A quarter of Americans are not deplorable.

Trump is. But not a quarter of Americans.

Agreed. And if you check the full HRC quote in context you will see that she did too.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    I would however imagine Boris needs at least a 5 or 6 point lead for a majority so if there is a polling decline from here on in he'll need it to be a a little bit gentler than 2 years ago.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,578
    kinabalu said:

The tiresome repetition of bigoted cliches like "Pale, male, stale" won't do you much good in a world where such people actually exist and vote. See 'deplorables' for further information.

OK. But we need a female leader for Labour, we really do, thus not 'male', and I personally do not want to lurch all the way back to timid centrism, that would be the 'stale'. Then I added in the 'pale' for no particular reason except to use the phrase. Which was wrong of me. Happy to amend to 'male and stale' only without the 'pale'.

Deplorables? That was not a bigoted cliche. That was a politician daring to "tell it like it is" and getting punished for it.
    What Labour needs is the best leader for the job. Appointing someone by gender gives a 50% risk of a sub-optimal outcome.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    How many American's think the Confederates were the good guys?

That's the level of deplorables.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said: "Bit rude about BigG"

To be fair, if I recall correctly BigG went on a cruise to Alaska, which may be within the bounds of acceptability?

I have been on cruises to Alaska, Japan and China, Antarctica, The Arctic, Scandinavia and Svalbard, Iceland and Greenland, east and west Mediterranean, Transatlantic to Nova Scotia, New England and New York just to name a few.

However, they have all been because my wife and I love being on ships and at sea and exploring new places....
    Or you could be an international spy. Suddenly it all makes sense... :)
    Why not. My wife and I would make a great pair of Bonds
  • Options
    Brom said:

There is definitely something going on with the Majority betting market.
    1.41 Tory majority is the shortest I've seen it for years (correct me if I'm wrong!), Perhaps it is natural movement but more likely there are some polls out there we don't know about yet.

IMO its fair price is 1.25.

I would lump on if it were not for the fact that my portfolio is already heavily that way inclined.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Con Maj was 1.47 at 4am this morning.

It's now 1.41.

That's not passage of time - one morning is trivial vs total length of time to go.

Surely there must be some inside info somewhere?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Just think, in 2 weeks 4 days social media will be awash with those tedious posts about taking a pen to the polling station to see off the great establishment pencil vote changing scam

2 weeks 4 days we'll know the result.....
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Cookie said: "What Labour needs is the best leader for the job. Appointing someone by gender gives a 50% risk of a sub-optimal outcome."

Yes - if by "optimal" you mean the "likelihood of winning next time". For many LP members other considerations come into play - i.e. electing a female leader for virtue signalling purposes.

I think Cooper happens to be the best candidate anyway.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Its not how it is. A quarter of Americans are not deplorable.

Trump is. But not a quarter of Americans.

Agreed. And if you check the full HRC quote in context you will see that she did too.
    “The full quote in context” should be a good defence. Unfortunately, it is not: see “there is no such thing as society”, Ed Milliband’s “ No I don’t”, and so on.
  • Options
    "2 weeks 4 days we'll know the result....."

I love election night. My mouth waters at the very thought of it. I`ll be in front of TV (BBC of course) until I fall asleep on sofa at about 3am. Then my alarm will wake me up again at 6am. Bliss.

Then I figure out how much of the family allowance I`ve lost.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

It's now 1.41.

That's not passage of time - one morning is trivial vs total length of time to go.

Or an assessment that with the Manifestos now out, Labour has blown it....
  • Options
    olmolm Posts: 125
    edited November 2019

olm said:

Poor manoeuvring by Blair - not objective-lead; if Blair truly wished for a hung-parliament, and was being objective, he would have kept out of the fray - his intervention is likely to only harm Lab and not Cons, and only decreases the change of what he says he seeks (a hung parliament).

Given that a strong Tory majority would probably see the end of Corbyn I’m not sure he would be that heartbroken.
    Possibly you're right; unsurprisingly disingenuous if that's his real unstated objective. Or else he just can't control his urge to be involved...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

How many American's think the Confederates were the good guys?

That's the level of deplorables.

Those that prioritise states’ rights over the abolition of slavery.

So yes, you are right.
  • Options
    MarqueeMark said: "Or an assessment that with the Manifestos now out, Labour has blown it...."

To be fair, it would have been difficult for Labour to repeat the trick twice. And of course they didn`t have the Tories self-destructing (yet).
  • Options

Fishing said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Prepare for the most ugly result of an election ever beating 1983 by a whisker. Fortunately I have the means to take myself to France and providing Johnson's quasi fascist government doesn't impliment stuff that brings a reciprocal response from the French I can become a happy ex pat.

For those who are forced to live under this clown they have at least one thing to look forward to. No more Corbyn. One of the five people most responsible for this very British farce

Sarkozy was a quasi fascist.

Johnson is not.
    It would be amusing if, following Roger's emigration, Le Pen won next time.
    Roger is such an extremist himself he'd probably consider France under Le Pen in the EU to be less concerning than Britain under a One Nation Conservative like Boris out of it.
    "a One Nation Conservative like Boris"
    I think you're a little out of date.

As much a small group of Europhiles in the last Parliament tried to co-opt the term One Nation to mean Europhile. One Nation ≠ Europhile.
    You clearly have a misunderstanding as to what One Nation Conservatism is. It is a philosophy that is genuinely conservative (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-nation_conservatism ) . Johnson and his pals are anything but this form of conservatism; indeed I would argue that they are not conservatives at all.Boris Johnson is not a One Nation Conservative, because he has adopted a right wing revolutionary agenda to suit his career ambition with the dregs that are left of the Conservative membership. He would be in favour of anything that advances the cause of Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    olmolm Posts: 125

olm said:

Poor manoeuvring by Blair - not objective-lead; if Blair truly wished for a hung-parliament, and was being objective, he would have kept out of the fray - his intervention is likely to only harm Lab and not Cons, and only decreases the change of what he says he seeks (a hung parliament).

On the other hand, he'll take a Boris Govt. and a crushed Corbyn, retiring from the fray.
    Indeed he surely might be happy with that (alas, imho)!
    Though I sense his pronouncement was more driven by desire to make his views public rather than that, or by objective-lead thinking...
  • Options
    Cookie said:

What Labour needs is the best leader for the job. Appointing someone by gender gives a 50% risk of a sub-optimal outcome.

But the attribute of being a woman is a valid part of the mix that will make for the best leader. It is a genuine political problem for Labour that they have never had a female leader. And only a woman can address that particular problem. Of course they must not choose somebody purely based on that. It is far from the only problem they have. And if there were a standout candidate, head and shoulders above the rest, who happened to be male, then of course they should go for that person. But such is not my perception of the choice atm.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

MarqueeMark said: "Or an assessment that with the Manifestos now out, Labour has blown it...."

To be fair, it would have been difficult for Labour to repeat the trick twice. And of course they didn`t have the Tories self-destructing (yet).

Labour's Manifesto comes across like a six year old kid, writing out a 587 page entire stock inventory of Hamley's as his letter to Santa.....
  • Options

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said: "Bit rude about BigG"

To be fair, if I recall correctly BigG went on a cruise to Alaska, which may be within the bounds of acceptability?

I have been on cruises to Alaska, Japan and China, Antarctica, The Arctic, Scandinavia and Svalbard, Iceland and Greenland, east and west Mediterranean, Transatlantic to Nova Scotia, New England and New York just to name a few.

However, they have all been because my wife and I love being on ships and at sea and exploring new places....
    Or you could be an international spy. Suddenly it all makes sense... :)
    Why not. My wife and I would make a great pair of Bonds
    Premium and Basildon.

:)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    I remain in need of more on the ground info/feelings, etc. Polls are very useful but it's always the quiet on the ground which is the hardest to cope with!
  • Options
    olm said:

olm said:

On the other hand, he'll take a Boris Govt. and a crushed Corbyn, retiring from the fray.
    Indeed he surely might be happy with that (alas, imho)!
    Though I sense his pronouncement was more driven by desire to make his views public rather than that, or by objective-lead thinking...
    Like him or loathe him, there are still probably a lot of people who listen to what he says and take note.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Paristonda said:
    "At best maybe Thornberry could get in, Corbyn aligned but not really hard left."

Can get 16/1 now on Thornberry (with Betfair). At one stage she was 4/1 favourite I think.

I would love thornberry to get in. She would be such a disaster that the present Labour Party would disappear without trace and we could start again.

• Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Stocky said:

The comparison chart for the Tory lead now vs 2017 has just about crossed over.

The trajectories are very different though so I wonder if those betting with the last war in mind (me included) are starting to think it might actually be different this time.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Labour's Manifesto comes across like a six year old kid, writing out a 587 page entire stock inventory of Hamley's as his letter to Santa.....
    A good analogy, which however has slightly less potency when delivered by someone who believes in Brexit. Brexit is the ultimate in infantile political philosophy.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459

Fishing said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Prepare for the most ugly result of an election ever beating 1983 by a whisker. Fortunately I have the means to take myself to France and providing Johnson's quasi fascist government doesn't impliment stuff that brings a reciprocal response from the French I can become a happy ex pat.

For those who are forced to live under this clown they have at least one thing to look forward to. No more Corbyn. One of the five people most responsible for this very British farce

Johnson is not.
    Roger is such an extremist himself he'd probably consider France under Le Pen in the EU to be less concerning than Britain under a One Nation Conservative like Boris out of it.

Being friends with Steve Bannon, describing gay people as “bum boys”, black people as “picaninnies”, Muslim women as “letterboxes” (I could go on) makes one many things - but not “one nation”. Adding in quasi fascist extremists like Raab and Patel in the cabinet to his narcissistic extemism, it is nailed on that this will be the last election in British history. The “mandate” of 2016 is enough to legitimise government by fiat in the eyes of your party.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,152
    Brom said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    I would however imagine Boris needs at least a 5 or 6 point lead for a majority so if there is a polling decline from here on in he'll need it to be a a little bit gentler than 2 years ago.
    From this point on, in 2017 it was more a question of systematic polling error, rather than a decline over time.

Just for fun, yesterday I took the Britain Elects polling average, adjusted it with reference to the average error of the final polls in 2017, and stuck it into electoralcalculus. The projection was a Tory majority of 20.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

"2 weeks 4 days we'll know the result....."

I love election night. My mouth waters at the very thought of it. I`ll be in front of TV (BBC of course) until I fall asleep on sofa at about 3am. Then my alarm will wake me up again at 6am. Bliss.

Then I figure out how much of the family allowance I`ve lost.

I used to love election night. *BONG* No drama like it. *BONG* Then 2017 happened. *BONG* And gave us theimminent prospect of a hard left government. *BONG* I've never wanted a Labour government, but before 2017 I wasn't genuinely scared of one. *BONG* I think now there's maybe a bit too much drama now. *BONG* I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to watch it this time. *BONG* The prospect of Corbyn and his thugs in power is too terrifying to contemplate.
    *BONG*
    *BONG*
    *BONG*
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

MikeL said:

It's now 1.41.

Or an assessment that with the Manifestos now out, Labour has blown it....
    Or a lack of liquidity
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    All the cool kids have gone to the new thread!
  • Options

“The full quote in context” should be a good defence. Unfortunately, it is not: see “there is no such thing as society”, Ed Milliband’s “ No I don’t”, and so on.

Sadly true. It's a good defence only if the jury are fit for purpose. And much of the time they are not.
  • Options

Stocky said:

A good analogy, which however has slightly less potency when delivered by someone who believes in Brexit. Brexit is the ultimate in infantile political philosophy.
    You not a fan of Brexit Nigel? You should have mentioned it. ;-)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2019
    DougSeal said:

Fishing said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Johnson is not.

Being friends with Steve Bannon, describing gay people as “bum boys”, black people as “picaninnies”, Muslim women as “letterboxes” (I could go on) makes one many things - but not “one nation”. Adding in quasi fascist extremists like Raab and Patel in the cabinet to his narcissistic extemism, it is nailed on that this will be the last election in British history. The “mandate” of 2016 is enough to legitimise government by fiat in the eyes of your party.
    What has Patel done in office to justify you calling her a 'quasi fascist'?

She is attacked and pilloried by many on here but the more I see of her, the more of a sensible moderate she seems to be.

I am not a fan of Raab. Him, JRM etc I'd be happy to see junked from the Cabinet after the election.

EDIT: I don't believe Johnson is friends with Bannon who is vile scum.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Stocky said:

Be careful what you wish for. Pidcock leading the Labour Party would be great news for you Tories.

I was a 3 quid Tory voting for JC and TW.

I laughed like a drain but on reflection I think i'd rather have safe centrist Blair types running Labour than risk the extremist fringes giving us a 70s redux.

I don't pretend to understand the thinking of the Lab membership but as an outsider it seems their appetite for ideological purity hasn't yet waned so I expect Corbyn v2.0.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,683
    felix said:

I remain in need of more on the ground info/feelings, etc. Polls are very useful but it's always the quiet on the ground which is the hardest to cope with!

From the people I know (friends, colleagues, family) the free broadband was seen as a joke and the WASPI bribe has people very upset. Even a few very lefty Labour types I know are ready to desert the party over it and stay home, "£58bn would be better spent helping those without privilege, not old rich white women".

On the other side I've got a sense that Jez's Marxist manifesto has got Tory remainers racing back to us from the Lib Dems. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see us retain and pick up a few more seats than expected in the leafier remainy parts of London that the Lib Dems are pouring resources into.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Reposted from two weeks ago, odds at bottom tweaked accordingly. I really think there is value here:

If Labour loses big at the election, and working on the assumption that Corbyn steps down, I`ve been looking at the timing of his departure for betting purposes.

The last Labour Party leader process in 2015 worked as follows:

- 13 May 2015 NEC sets out timetable
    - time for nominations
    - time for hustings
    - ballot papers produced and distributed
    - 1 month window to vote (to 10th September 2015)
    - results announced 12th September

In summary, the process took 4 Months to elect a new leader. If, following the GE, Corbyn announced a wish to step down, and assuming a week for NEC to set up their meeting to decide the timetable, this would take us to 20th April for a new leader to be installed.

Corbyn, I argue, would remain leader until a replacement is elected. And Betfair rules state that an acting leader is still counted as the leader.

I draw the following conclusions, but would appreciate your comments on my logic. All bets are with Betfair:

- Corbyn departure date 10/19 - 12/19 - clear LAY at 3.9
    - April - June 2020 - BET at 8
    - July 2020 or later - BET at 4.4
    - 2020 or later - BET 1.35
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    SunnyJim said:

"I don't pretend to understand the thinking of the Lab membership but as an outsider it seems their appetite for ideological purity hasn't yet waned so I expect Corbyn v2.0."

Yep, that`s why I have money (at long odds) on Long-Bailey and Piddock.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Reposted from two weeks ago, odds at bottom tweaked accordingly. I really think there is value here:

If Labour loses big at the election, and working on the assumption that Corbyn steps down, I`ve been looking at the timing of his departure for betting purposes.

- time for nominations
    - time for hustings

In summary, the process took 4 Months to elect a new leader. If, following the GE, Corbyn announced a wish to step down, and assuming a week for NEC to set up their meeting to decide the timetable, this would take us to 20th April for a new leader to be installed.

Corbyn, I argue, would remain leader until a replacement is elected. And Betfair rules state that an acting leader is still counted as the leader.

I draw the following conclusions, but would appreciate your comments on my logic. All bets are with Betfair:

All entirely sensible, but I thought the EHRC reported in January? Every chance he'll have to go then, surely?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

- time for nominations
    - time for hustings

I haven’t looked at these since last time but I recall some difference in the definition of “exit date”. For some it seemed to be safe of resignation. For all, it seemed a bit vague. Scared me off.

Otherwise your logic feels right to me.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

SunnyJim said:

"I don't pretend to understand the thinking of the Lab membership but as an outsider it seems their appetite for ideological purity hasn't yet waned so I expect Corbyn v2.0."

Yep, that`s why I have money (at long odds) on Long-Bailey and Piddock.

cock
  • Options
    Time_to_Leave said: "I haven’t looked at these since last time but I recall some difference in the definition of “exit date”. For some it seemed to be safe of resignation. For all, it seemed a bit vague. Scared me off."

The main Betfair market that I`m looking at says:

"For clarity for settlement purposes, leading the party in an "acting leader" role (eg while a successor is being sought) will be included as the individual`s tenure as party leader. "

So, my logic goes, Corbyn will not be replaced until 20th April at the earliest.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    Stocky said:

Time_to_Leave said: "I haven’t looked at these since last time but I recall some difference in the definition of “exit date”. For some it seemed to be safe of resignation. For all, it seemed a bit vague. Scared me off."

The main Betfair market that I`m looking at says:

"For clarity for settlement purposes, leading the party in an "acting leader" role (eg while a successor is being sought) will be included as the individual`s tenure as party leader. "

So, my logic goes, Corbyn will not be replaced until 20th April at the earliest.

I agree with that, especially with the current vacancy for deputy leader. A departure of H1 2020 is almost effectively a proxy bet on Labour going below, say, 240 seats. I guess that would be my only other thought - is it possible to expose yourself to almost the same risk at better odds?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Charles said:

Roger said:

Johnson is not.
    Macron was elected by accident. The Republicain voters have learnt from their Fillon escapade and if he puts up Juppe will be easily selected candidate and then elected as President. And he'll be pretty good in my view. Lets be honest Macron isn't much of an act to follow.
This discussion has been closed.