Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first sign that Boris Johnson is going to repeat Theresa M

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    nunu2 said:

If the SNP aren't gaining many seats from the Tories and the libdems aren't gaining many seats from the Tories....and the tories gain 30 seats from Labour....then?

Happy days are here again.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Except as those figures show net approval rating is not a key indicator of election success given May ended the 2017 general election campaign with a deficit of 3% relative to Corbyn on a net approval basis and still won most seats.

Boris still has a clear 24% lead over Corbyn on net approval anyway but those figures suggest it is preferred PM not net approval rating that is key given May still led Corbyn on that basis at the end if the 2017 campaign as foes Boris now
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Fair play to Stuart for acknowledging the SCons are as I have been saying for weeks, likely to be in the 11-16 range. The SLIbs are shitting bricks because their leader is going down like a bag of sick in Scotland, especially with women old enough to be her mother! SLAB vote is evaporating. Potential for SLAB lost deposits in seats they were in contention for in 2010!

We had a friend over for dinner last night, a lovely warm-hearted generous lady, taught French in a state school. Ne'er a bad word to say about anybody.

But unprompted and unprovoked, she just went off on one about Jo Swinson. "Who does she think she is? "Prime Minister"...? Revoking Brexit? Pah!"

I had picked up on it on the doorsteps very early on - and posted that on here. I still can't quite process quite why she riles people quite so much. It's a bit odd. There's no obvious basis for the strength of feeling against her. But it is there.
    Sadly she evokes Violet Elizabeth Bott - surely the most monstrous creation in comfortable middle class English children's literature. At his best Boris evokes William himself the defective but good hearted and well meaning hero. I suppose to take the analogy further Corbyn is the generalised enemy, varying from chapter to chapter never seriously emerging from the background. Meanwhile Violet Elizabeth is there, all the time, shouting and screaming pointlessly so everyone, William, the Outlaws and the Reader just wants to make her shut up.
    CCHQ's crack shitposting cadre have obviously been told to push the Swinson = VEB line hard. We've had it multiple times on here since the start of the campaign from the usual suspects. It's the perfect cultural reference for the tories target demo as very few under the age of 60 will have any fucking clue about it.
    I thought Swinson was overdoing the accusations of misogyny, but when we see this sort of crap from Tory posters then she is clearly right.

All Lib Dem leaders get attacked from both sides during a campaign, perhaps with the exception of Nick Clegg. I remember Tories clutching their Pearl's over Farron in a similar way.

Looking at the polls, I don't see much squeeze. 15% is a respectable score, and at a similar level to most of my political life.
    Clegg got absolutely blasted in the media after the first debate, after the Cleggasm. It just goes to show the panic there is when the duopoly is challenged.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    nunu2 said:

If the SNP aren't gaining many seats from the Tories and the libdems aren't gaining many seats from the Tories....and the tories gain 30 seats from Labour....then?

The biggest Tory majority since 1987 as confirmed by the new Yougov MRP poll giving a Tory majority of 48

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1198360629930790916?s=20
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,376
    edited November 2019

It is blatantly not true that every party has an equal chance in every seat.

That may be the historical outcome, but at the point of closure of candidate registration, they all have an even chance.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

IanB2 said:

In a randomly selected audience of a hundred, you’d expect one Labour member.

As I have said before, the real problem is that ordinary non-political people don’t want the hassle of going.

The answer is to get rid of the audience.
    Quite. I made the same point myself about QT the other day. A panel discussion program, without the audience and involving in-depth discussion of just two or three questions submitted by viewers at home, might be far more revealing that a shouting match in front of a partisan crowd.

There's already a radio phone-in show after QT anyway. If it's really essential that we also be subjected to random members of the public emoting then that strikes me as entirely sufficient.
    They also need to stop politicians interrupting each other. If they did that, the programme would become watchable again.
    Compare with the level of intelligent debate in this clip from the 1975 referendum. No audience, no interuptions, intelligent discussion of real issues and no soundbites.

https://twitter.com/redhistorian/status/1197092768268652545?s=19

18 million people watched it. Back then people had fewer channels, no social media, but as a result much better attention spans.
    Indeed. Forty years ago we'd all be waiting for Weekend World, with a twenty minute summary of a key issue of the day (usually excellently done) followed by a forty minute interview with Brian Walden probing a leading politician one-on-one. Only Andrew Neil comes anywhere close, nowadays, and Neil is too often looking for the cheap point rather than viewer enlightenment.
    Plus the cracking theme tune of Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride. (Even if it is about whaling....)
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Anecdotally (my mum) I think the older women having an irrational dislike of Swinson is real. Instinctively at the time I thought they had made a big mistake choosing her over Davey, but I wasn’t quite sure why, wasn’t necessarily expecting this demographic in particular to be a problem. The Cons may now be capitalising on it in their campaigning, but they aren’t making it up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Except as those figures show net approval rating is not a key indicator of election success given May ended the 2017 general election campaign with a deficit of 3% relative to Corbyn on a net approval basis and still won most seats.

Boris still has a clear 24% lead over Corbyn on net approval anyway but those figures suggest it is preferred PM not net approval rating that is key given May still led Corbyn on that basis at the end if the 2017 campaign as foes Boris now

Why do you post lies?

In 2017 in the final approval ratings before Election Day Mrs May led Mr Corbyn.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/political-monitor-satisfaction-ratings-1997-present
  • Options
    Boris will also have a more populist manifesto than May did and Trump already endorsed Boris weeks ago in headline news, it made zero difference as Trump is far more popular with Leavers voting Tory anyway.

Plus of course Boris can still say Trump said a Boris Deal could make a US trade deal harder when urging Farage to make a pact with Boris as Trump's real preferred PM candidate is Farage who will go for No Deal even if he prefers Boris to Corbyn
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

The biggest Tory majority since 1987 as confirmed by the new Yougov MRP poll giving a Tory majority of 48

That looks about right to me right now. Personally I think this will slip a little bit in the closing stages taking us to a majority of 20 or so.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Fair play to Stuart for acknowledging the SCons are as I have been saying for weeks, likely to be in the 11-16 range. The SLIbs are shitting bricks because their leader is going down like a bag of sick in Scotland, especially with women old enough to be her mother! SLAB vote is evaporating. Potential for SLAB lost deposits in seats they were in contention for in 2010!

We had a friend over for dinner last night, a lovely warm-hearted generous lady, taught French in a state school. Ne'er a bad word to say about anybody.

But unprompted and unprovoked, she just went off on one about Jo Swinson. "Who does she think she is? "Prime Minister"...? Revoking Brexit? Pah!"

I had picked up on it on the doorsteps very early on - and posted that on here. I still can't quite process quite why she riles people quite so much. It's a bit odd. There's no obvious basis for the strength of feeling against her. But it is there.
    Sadly she evokes Violet Elizabeth Bott - surely the most monstrous creation in comfortable middle class English children's literature. At his best Boris evokes William himself the defective but good hearted and well meaning hero. I suppose to take the analogy further Corbyn is the generalised enemy, varying from chapter to chapter never seriously emerging from the background. Meanwhile Violet Elizabeth is there, all the time, shouting and screaming pointlessly so everyone, William, the Outlaws and the Reader just wants to make her shut up.
    CCHQ's crack shitposting cadre have obviously been told to push the Swinson = VEB line hard. We've had it multiple times on here since the start of the campaign from the usual suspects. It's the perfect cultural reference for the tories target demo as very few under the age of 60 will have any fucking clue about it.
    I thought Swinson was overdoing the accusations of misogyny, but when we see this sort of crap from Tory posters then she is clearly right.

All Lib Dem leaders get attacked from both sides during a campaign, perhaps with the exception of Nick Clegg. I remember Tories clutching their Pearl's over Farron in a similar way.

Looking at the polls, I don't see much squeeze. 15% is a respectable score, and at a similar level to most of my political life.
    The difference is that they have the chance this time to get the votes of the supposedly enraged 48%+ appalled youngsters who didn’t get a vote in 2016 to stop their lives being ruined, the devoted marchers and petition signers, so you’d expect better than similar to every other election
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

It is not the YouGov MRP.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    nunu2 said:

*IF* the Tories obtain a net swing of 30 from Labour then they should at least make it over the finishing line.

IF...
    IanB2 said:

Or we could just introduce a fair voting system, like most other democracies.

You'll get no argument from me on that one, but it'll first require the cards to fall in just the right way, and that may not happen for a very long time.

Realistically, I think the only likely path to PR is a whole series of Tory victories, at the end of which a compact of left-of-centre parties finally scrapes a majority and says amongst itself "We can't risk going back to that again." The replacement of Labour looks like a distant dream, and Labour won't back reform until it is either convinced that it can't win a majority under FPTP ever again, or is forced into it by the Lib Dems from a position of strength in some future Coalition negotiation.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,034

Dura_Ace said:

I have no idea who they are talking about so I am clearly not the target demographic. Thank fuck.
    The tory Dank Meme Sonderkommando is working on a Swinson = Jessie from Team Rocket bit for the younger generation but it's not coming together.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Imagine YouGov's MRP shows the Libdems going backwards in seats!

I can, just imagine it as Swinson's Revoke policy is truly mad.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SunnyJim said:

Agreed.

They add a level of farce to proceedings which is at best pantomime and at worst renders the format unwatchable.

US debate audiences manage to be present, but respectful. Unlike that twat here on Friday who needed to be told eight times to STFU.
    To be fair, he seemed to care about his point and was annoyed that the PM was allowed to dodge it.
    No excuse.

None.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

SunnyJim said:

Agreed.

They add a level of farce to proceedings which is at best pantomime and at worst renders the format unwatchable.

US debate audiences manage to be present, but respectful. Unlike that twat here on Friday who needed to be told eight times to STFU.
    To be fair, he seemed to care about his point and was annoyed that the PM was allowed to dodge it.
    No excuse.

None.
    You’re right, Boris should have published it.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Collapse of the Brexit Party vote in Scotland to the Tories as Farage pulls back candidates from Tory seats key in getting the Tories back to 28%, just 1% below their 2017 rating.

On the basis of this fantastic poll for Scottish Tories they would only lose a single seat, Stirling, to the SNP on a small 2% Scottish swing from SNP to the Tories. The LDs would gain Fife North East from the SNP. Scottish Labour though would lose 6 of their 7 Scottish seats, holding only Edinburgh South.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1198399096853278721?s=20
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

I wonder if the fall is partly a reaction to stunts by CCHQ like factcheckUK and the fake Labour website. @FrancisUrquhart has previously suggested these are ill-conceived, especially given our demographics. They might be seen as not playing the game; an impression which can resonate with Boris's own reputation for unreliability.

The problem is that everyone is playing games with silly stunts. Labour allegedly got a staffer into the QT audience asking a loaded question for Corbyn to retweet.

//twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1198295608781627395
    It wasn't just Labour though, the question to Jezza on misogyny and Smeeth came from a Tory plant, who has appeared on QT 4 times.

https://twitter.com/RickBlagger/status/1198200080580382720?s=19
    How sad do you have to be to take video grabs of everybody on QT who asks questions? Then put them into files, to cross-reference those people who ask multiple times?

Well done them. Jeez.
  • Options
    Morning all.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2019
    I was concerned by the usual left-slanted Press Review on Sky News last night, featuring the delightful (NOT! ) Rachel Shabi and the rather ineffectual would-be right's representative Benedict Spence.
    Rachel set about explaining the story on the front page of today's Observer newspaper, explaining how, as if by magic, John McDonnell intends to compensate approximately 3.7 million women affected as a result of the then coalition Government extending their State Retirement retirement age from 60 to 65 of 66 years of age.
    Ms Shabi pointed out that the colossal expense involved in compensating such women, amounting to £58 billion (that's £58,000,000,000) would be paid over 5 years at the rate of £11.5 billion p.a.
    She went on to explain that that provision for funding this huge amount had NOT been included in Labour's Grey Book, since "it didn't rank as normal expenditure" and was a "one-off compensation cost paid in effect out of Court" What sort of mumbo-jumbo speak is all that?
    To make a totally unfunded commitment such as this after publication of their manifesto is clearly Labour's last throw of the dice. My concern however is that might not this at least temporarily increase Labour's level of support in the polls, bearing in mind the huge number of women affected by such proposals, where the average payment involved is said to amount to approximately £15,000?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

SunnyJim said:

Agreed.

No excuse.

None.
    You’re right, Boris should have published it.
    He will. But probably not until it has been updated for this election.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,834
    edited November 2019
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

IanB2 said:

As I have said before, the real problem is that ordinary non-political people don’t want the hassle of going.

Quite. I made the same point myself about QT the other day. A panel discussion program, without the audience and involving in-depth discussion of just two or three questions submitted by viewers at home, might be far more revealing that a shouting match in front of a partisan crowd.

There's already a radio phone-in show after QT anyway. If it's really essential that we also be subjected to random members of the public emoting then that strikes me as entirely sufficient.
    They also need to stop politicians interrupting each other. If they did that, the programme would become watchable again.
    Compare with the level of intelligent debate in this clip from the 1975 referendum. No audience, no interuptions, intelligent discussion of real issues and no soundbites.

18 million people watched it. Back then people had fewer channels, no social media, but as a result much better attention spans.
    Indeed. Forty years ago we'd all be waiting for Weekend World, with a twenty minute summary of a key issue of the day (usually excellently done) followed by a forty minute interview with Brian Walden probing a leading politician one-on-one. Only Andrew Neil comes anywhere close, nowadays, and Neil is too often looking for the cheap point rather than viewer enlightenment.
    I find Andrew Neil unwatchable in his new format, constantly on a hyper aggressive attack. It puts the interviewee on the defensive.

More subtle interviewers that get their interviewee to let down their guard tend to be rather more effective and watchable.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,011
    edited November 2019
    Backed Scottish Conservative seats 11-15 at 6.5 a few days ago, more than that at 17. Put a saver bet on at 2.75 for the 6-10 band.

As long as they get 6 or more I'm evens, and if they get 11 or more, I'm ahead.

Edited extra bit: that's all Ladbrokes, by the way.
  • Options
    Ofcourse Boris net rating vs Corbyn is way down in that poll. It also shows the libdems up 5%. There are simply many more libdems in that poll then their last one.

Duh!
  • Options
    edited November 2019

HYUFD said:

Why do you post lies?

In 2017 in the final approval ratings before Election Day Mrs May led Mr Corbyn.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/political-monitor-satisfaction-ratings-1997-present
    Your thread header has Corbyn leading May on net approval in the final weekend of 2017 election polling, if you want to post threads that do not give all the facts to support your argument you are hardly one to criticise
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

One should never rule out the standard Tory lack of imagination. A good chance it's because they can't pluck a zinger from the air themselves.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

I wonder if the fall is partly a reaction to stunts by CCHQ like factcheckUK and the fake Labour website. @FrancisUrquhart has previously suggested these are ill-conceived, especially given our demographics. They might be seen as not playing the game; an impression which can resonate with Boris's own reputation for unreliability.

The problem is that everyone is playing games with silly stunts. Labour allegedly got a staffer into the QT audience asking a loaded question for Corbyn to retweet.

It wasn't just Labour though, the question to Jezza on misogyny and Smeeth came from a Tory plant, who has appeared on QT 4 times.

How sad do you have to be to take video grabs of everybody on QT who asks questions? Then put them into files, to cross-reference those people who ask multiple times?

Well done them. Jeez.
    Classic shooting the messenger.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Ofcourse Boris net rating vs Corbyn is way down in that poll. It also shows the libdems up 5%. There are simply many more libdems in that poll then their last one.

Duh!

But the same number of Lib Dems as a fortnight ago when Boris Johnson had a 43 point lead.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Did statistically improbably poorly with football yesterday. I blame the results.

Anyway, backed Newcastle to beat Aston Villa, and Sheffield to beat Manchester United. (That's one today and one tomorrow).

Lots of away wins yesterday.

Leicester fans are hoping that Everton still have Silva for next Sunday. Looking good in second place, with Brighton at home not getting a shot on target, but need more clinical finishing as we missed a few sitters. 4 clean sheets in a row for the Foxes, and a good run of Christmas games.

Everton H
    Villa A
    Norwich H
    Watford H

Very likely to have 40 points and still be second before the Christmas 6 pointers of Man City A and Liverpool H on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,703

But then, you are an extreme Tory, so you would see her like that, in terms of your favourite stories.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I listened to her (TV clips) from the manifesto launch. She’s really not a good speaker - grating, a bit shouty, slightly patronising. I’ve not met her personally (although I know and like her husband) and it may be that she comes across better in person but I found very unpopular even though some of the content was pretty sensible
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Well done them. Jeez.
    When I worked in a restaurant I got quite good at predicting which customers would act like c*nts just looking at their face. This is one of those guys.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,474
    "We keep hearing that this election is the most important in living memory. Yet on Brexit, the most important issue of this most important election, both Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn are asking voters to go to the polls wearing blindfolds."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/24/there-is-no-more-deceptive-slogan-of-this-campaign-than-get-brexit-done
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

I thought our Welsh correspondent had promised us that Plaid were falling apart? Forecast to get five seats - the Betfair "above 3.5 seats" is available at 1.25
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

I thought our Welsh correspondent had promised us that Plaid were falling apart? Forecast to get five seats - the Betfair "above 3.5 seats" is available at 1.25
    Its Labour being screwed in Wales innit?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

One should never rule out the standard Tory lack of imagination. A good chance it's because they can't pluck a zinger from the air themselves.
    I thought that Veruca Salt was much more apposite than VEB.

Check out this video of Jo Swinson introducing her pitch to voters to see if there is any similarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqsy7V0wphI
  • Options
    nunu2 said:
    They will make the cancelling student debt announcement in the closing days, mark my words.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Wow, that's a properly good poll for SCon. If they can coalesce some Leave voting Indy into their column then it could be a real shock.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Banterman said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1198295608781627395
    He was so far up Corbyn's rectum, he was obviously a Labour insider! The BBC might want to think on how he so easily exploited the system to get himself on the show, asking a question. And how many more did he plant?

What did the BBC know - and when did they know it? The Governors should look into their processes behind that programme. Boris got out alive, but you can look at that format and wonder - to what extent was it crafted with an intent to hurt one or more of the leaders? I look forward to the House Select Committee inviting the programme's producers in for a discussion on their methods for selecting the audience.

The debates have become an integral part of the election campaign. Try to avoid them - and ask Theresa May what happens. All aspects need to be as transparent as voting for my MP.
    I think that it's always been standard practise for the television companies to encourage members of the political parties to come on these programmes. Even limiting the numbers to match the level of support of each party, particularly number of MPs - hence Jo Swinson's hostile questioning.
    And that situation is leading to a lack of trust among the general public of these programmes.

If there’s going to be an audience, then being a member of a political party should be a bar to attendance.
    Indeed. How did someone from Lewisham even get past the 1st stage of audience selection when the event was in Sheffield?
    You seem to be making the mistake that everyone on here is making. The audiences questions don't pose a threat to partiality. If your issue is that the BBC are allowing people into the audience who will ask difficult questions then the public will give you short shrift. It's of no consequence how clever or politically affiliated the audience is as long as there are an equal number for each persuasion.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

I was concerned by the usual left-slanted Press Review on Sky News last night, featuring the delightful (NOT! ) Rachel Shabi and the rather ineffectual would-be right's representative Benedict Spence.
    Rachel set about explaining the story on the front page of today's Observer newspaper, explaining how, as if by magic, John McDonnell intends to compensate approximately 3.7 million women affected as a result of the then coalition Government extending their State Retirement retirement age from 60 to 65 of 66 years of age.
    Ms Shabi pointed out that the colossal expense involved in compensating such women, amounting to £58 billion (that's £58,000,000,000) would be paid over 5 years at the rate of £11.5 billion p.a.
    She went on to explain that that provision for funding this huge amount had NOT been included in Labour's Grey Book, since "it didn't rank as normal expenditure" and was a "one-off compensation cost paid in effect out of Court" What sort of mumbo-jumbo speak is all that?
    To make a totally unfunded commitment such as this after publication of their manifesto is clearly Labour's last throw of the dice. My concern however is that might not this at least temporarily increase Labour's level of support in the polls, bearing in mind the huge number of women affected by such proposals, where the average payment involved is said to amount to approximately £15,000?

Hey let’s compensate all the millions more men that had to work five years longer in a blatant injustice inflicted on them by a greedy establishment over decades of ruthless exploitation hidden from us by the billionaire MSM.

What the hell, 83bn here, 58bn there, who’s counting? Another gazillion bn won’t make any difference.
  • Options
    Also surely the historic injustice is that men had to work five extra years to get to the pension age?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Bbc2 at 3am viewing figures though
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Well done them. Jeez.
    When I worked in a restaurant I got quite good at predicting which customers would act like c*nts just looking at their face. This is one of those guys.
    He is not just a BBCQT regular, but is a Conservative activist.

https://twitter.com/wilde/status/1198203779176435712?s=19
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

I expect that's the language belt. If that's borne out then they can (rightly) celebrate making an advance, but it still doesn't get them very far in the rest of the country.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Also surely the historic injustice is that men had to work five extra years to get to the pension age?

And then die sooner.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, I was surprised to see that Leicester have scored more goals and conceded fewer than Liverpool.

Mr. Max, aye, but injustice against men isn't fashionable.

If a problem affects mostly women it's more likely to get referred to in gender terms. If it mostly affects men (perhaps excepting suicide) then it's less likely (rough sleeping).

My mother surprised me by how much contempt she had for the women complaining about the pension situation.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I chatted to a bunch of liberal friends recently, all of whom plan to vote lib dem/anti Tory. Was very surprised to hear how much they disliked Swinson, but when pressed they couldn't identify why. Wasn't stopping them voting lib dem though.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Guido missed that one. Floater FLOATER!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Dura_Ace said:

Yes, I had to google Bott to find out what they were talking about and I'm still only vaguely the wiser. The belief that everyone has the same cultural references is a classic mistake in marketing.

On QT, all sides have played the "oi, he's a (rival party) activist" game - it was only yesterday that Guido Fawkes was grumbling that someone was a Labour activist. But I do think that QT should be able to avoid having the same bloke 4 times, and also that the preponderance of SNP supporters in the leaders' QT was just odd.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,942
    Roger said:

Banterman said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:
    He was so far up Corbyn's rectum, he was obviously a Labour insider! The BBC might want to think on how he so easily exploited the system to get himself on the show, asking a question. And how many more did he plant?

What did the BBC know - and when did they know it? The Governors should look into their processes behind that programme. Boris got out alive, but you can look at that format and wonder - to what extent was it crafted with an intent to hurt one or more of the leaders? I look forward to the House Select Committee inviting the programme's producers in for a discussion on their methods for selecting the audience.

The debates have become an integral part of the election campaign. Try to avoid them - and ask Theresa May what happens. All aspects need to be as transparent as voting for my MP.
    I think that it's always been standard practise for the television companies to encourage members of the political parties to come on these programmes. Even limiting the numbers to match the level of support of each party, particularly number of MPs - hence Jo Swinson's hostile questioning.
    And that situation is leading to a lack of trust among the general public of these programmes.

If there’s going to be an audience, then being a member of a political party should be a bar to attendance.
    Indeed. How did someone from Lewisham even get past the 1st stage of audience selection when the event was in Sheffield?
    You seem to be making the mistake that everyone on here is making. The audiences questions don't pose a threat to partiality. If your issue is that the BBC are allowing people into the audience who will ask difficult questions then the public will give you short shrift. It's of no consequence how clever or politically affiliated the audience is as long as there are an equal number for each persuasion.
    No-one has a problem with an audience member asking difficult questions, what they have a problem with is a party plant using exactly the same form of words as their man on the stage would have done - while posing as a member of the public.
  • Options
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Bbc2 at 3am viewing figures though
    So? A programme for the truly committed. Or those who should be committed, anyway.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Well done them. Jeez.
    He is not just a BBCQT regular, but is a Conservative activist.

https://twitter.com/wilde/status/1198203779176435712?s=19
    Two facts that I imagine are not unrelated.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I chatted to a bunch of liberal friends recently, all of whom plan to vote lib dem/anti Tory. Was very surprised to hear how much they disliked Swinson, but when pressed they couldn't identify why. Wasn't stopping them voting lib dem though.
    Not them maybe. But plenty others....
  • Options
    Marr seemed genuinely pissed off with Angela Rayner not answering the question on the marriage tax allowance.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

It puts me off TBH.

WASPI are in effect wanting to continue inequality for men and should be WASPE. Women Against State Pension Equality

To throw £58Bn at them is a disgrace imo.

I have already voted Lab. but dont agree with the policy.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Dura_Ace said:

Yes, I had to google Bott to find out what they were talking about and I'm still only vaguely the wiser. The belief that everyone has the same cultural references is a classic mistake in marketing.

On QT, all sides have played the "oi, he's a (rival party) activist" game - it was only yesterday that Guido Fawkes was grumbling that someone was a Labour activist. But I do think that QT should be able to avoid having the same bloke 4 times, and also that the preponderance of SNP supporters in the leaders' QT was just odd.
    Like I said, people have to be persuaded to go. I've been twice - both many years ago - but have been offered the chance countless times. The political parties (mine, anyway) seem to be left scrabbling around trying to fill untaken seats at the last minute, having been given an allocation by the BBC. I assume the BBC starts with open allocation - as advertised at the end of each programme - gets a few takers, and then doles out the rest to the political parties.

I expect the party activists weren't entirely honest about their position when they applied online to be in the election programme audience - there isn't really any way the BBC can check them out (I'd hope they do some basic checking by name on twitter), so short of some kind of sanction when they are discovered afterwards, what can be done?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Well done them. Jeez.
    Right wing racist gets on BBCQT

That blonde haired bumbling bloke as well
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

This isn’t THE YouGov MRP
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

Anyone fancy a superlong article on cryptocurrency fraud? It's very depressing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50435014

The radio series on which it is based, available on BBC Sounds, is gripping listening.

I did some digging after I listened on which banks those who “invested” in this product paid their money too. And they were the usual crop of dodgy banks - Singaporean, Chinese, African, Dubai etc - ones few people will have heard of and to whom no-one with any sense would send money to. It amazes me that people don’t check where they are sending money to when they pay electronically. It’s the most obvious - and easiest - of checks and far too often overlooked.

Also the point was that it was not a cryptocurrency at all but a simple pyramid selling scam with fancy new modern words attached. Pretty much all the victims had - and have - no idea what a cryptocurrency is nor how blockchain works. And if you don’t understand it don’t invest in it.

One of the lawyers accused of laundering £300 million of the proceeds goes on trial shortly in the US with some of those proceeds having ended up with Bank of Ireland and the NY branch of Deutschland Bank.

I’d love to know which of the many Eastern European and Russian mafiosos is behind this scam. It won’t just be this woman for sure.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, this reminds me of the great step forward sexual equality led to in insurance.

Women couldn't get cheaper car insurance than men despite being less likely to make claims (because discriminating by sex is sexist). Men lost higher annuity rates (because they live for fewer years, on average) for the same reason.

'Equality' meant both got dealt additional costs.

Worth noting that drivers can have black box type policies whereby their behaviour is monitored and good/safe driving can lead to lower premiums. Of course, such a handy thing doesn't work for life expectancy and annuity, so men still got screwed on that.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Marr seemed genuinely pissed off with Angela Rayner not answering the question on the marriage tax allowance.

Someone's actually raised this tax hit for the 95% then?

Thank gawd for that.... I don't suppose Ridge did with McDonnell?
  • Options
    Could I take issue with the thread comment.. . It says Corbyn reducing the PM's net approval rate. ….

More like Deltapoll says that.. its a new polling organisation that has no track record whatsoever.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Yes. If the audience really were selected on a proportionate basis then - even if everyone was a partisan and no undecideds were included - the SNP supporters should've been between about 3% and 5% of the total, depending on exact basis of calculation.

I didn't watch the thing, but I'm assuming from your remarks that either the SNP were greatly over-represented or very, very noisy?
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, interesting to hear your view on this. Surprising amount of PB unity on it (especially given we're in an election campaign).
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,034
    edited November 2019
    MaxPB said:

Why don't you get the blue shell when you're in first position in Mario Kart?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2019

It puts me off TBH.

WASPI are in effect wanting to continue inequality for men and should be WASPE. Women Against State Pension Equality

Well said you. Fair play.

I’m not au fait with all the details on timing etc, but I understand it was at least phased. However, how anyone could not seriously see this coming amazes me. We’ve spent decades creating more equality between the sexes ( great!) and I’ve no doubt it’s not complete yet, but this was a glaring area where clearly the balance was the other way. It was cakeism. It had to stop. So chucking 58bn ( fifty eight !!!) whilst telling all those blokes in theirs 60’s upwards “nothing for you chaps, suck it up”, is well just wrong.
  • Options
    I still believe that if Labour didn't have the crazy plan to give everyone free broadband they would be doing a lot better in the polls and Bozza would be sweating on the majority a lot more.
  • Options

Mr. B2, this reminds me of the great step forward sexual equality led to in insurance.

Women couldn't get cheaper car insurance than men despite being less likely to make claims (because discriminating by sex is sexist). Men lost higher annuity rates (because they live for fewer years, on average) for the same reason.

'Equality' meant both got dealt additional costs.

Worth noting that drivers can have black box type policies whereby their behaviour is monitored and good/safe driving can lead to lower premiums. Of course, such a handy thing doesn't work for life expectancy and annuity, so men still got screwed on that.

According to Aviva's online calculator, I am going to die aged 88. They didn't ask much about medical history and nothing about drinking habits, however.
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

It uses Yougov data using the same MRP model
  • Options
    welshowl said:

It puts me off TBH.

I’m not au fait with all the details on timing etc, but I understand it was at least phased. However, how anyone could not seriously see this coming amazes me. We’ve spent decades creating more equality between the sexes ( great!) and I’ve no doubt it’s not complete yet, but this was a glaring area where clearly the balance was the other way. It was cakeism. It had to stop. So chucking 58bn ( fifty eight !!!) whilst telling all those blokes in theirs 60’s upwards “nothing for you chaps, suck it up”, is well just wrong.
    I seem to recall an excellent PB thread on the subject by Senor Meeks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

No, it uses YouGov polling data through a different MRP model
  • Options
    welshowl said:

It puts me off TBH.

I was lucky, I was one of the last people to get my male state pension at 65.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

Why don't you get the blue shell when you're in first position in Mario Kart?
    Yeah I'm sure that poor Sainsbury's bloke was in first place vs the city banker woman...
  • Options
    welshowl said:

It puts me off TBH.

It was phased, and well publicised. The only grievance with any weight, in my view, was the subsequent acceleration when the male retirement age was deferred. As the women were already on a phased transition they should have extended the phasing by adding another stage on the end, accepting that this would delay the eventual harmonisation date, rather than compressing the changes for women into fewer years.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    edited November 2019
    Good morning all.

With regards to Labour's new WASPI commitment I wonder if anyone on here knows:

1. Why was this not in the manifesto? Is this just a knee jerk reaction to a QT question?
    2. Have they said how it will be paid for? £58 billion is a big number.
    3. As state pension is taxable will the payments be taxable? If so, how will they know what rate each person should have been paying?
    4. What happens to payments that should have been made to those now deceased?

I'm sure there are loads of other questions on this but these sprung to mind instantly.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

The radio series on which it is based, available on BBC Sounds, is gripping listening.

I did some digging after I listened on which banks those who “invested” in this product paid their money too. And they were the usual crop of dodgy banks - Singaporean, Chinese, African, Dubai etc - ones few people will have heard of and to whom no-one with any sense would send money to. It amazes me that people don’t check where they are sending money to when they pay electronically. It’s the most obvious - and easiest - of checks and far too often overlooked.

Also the point was that it was not a cryptocurrency at all but a simple pyramid selling scam with fancy new modern words attached. Pretty much all the victims had - and have - no idea what a cryptocurrency is nor how blockchain works. And if you don’t understand it don’t invest in it.

One of the lawyers accused of laundering £300 million of the proceeds goes on trial shortly in the US with some of those proceeds having ended up with Bank of Ireland and the NY branch of Deutschland Bank.

I’d love to know which of the many Eastern European and Russian mafiosos is behind this scam. It won’t just be this woman for sure.
    Deutsche Bank presumably.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    42.9% for the Tories would be their highest voteshare since 1979, 29.8% for Labour would be their lowest voteshare since 2010
  • Options
    You are using the BXP colour for the Tory lead.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    It is interesting that this morning sees the Tory trolls out in force, attacking Swinson as though she is their main concern and selecting the polls for their purpose whilst ignoring those which are uncomfortable. I do not know which polls are most accurate and which are outliers (and neither does anyone else), but it is interesting that the BMG poll putting the LDs back up to 18% and the Tory lead down to 13%...........has been completely ignored.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

It is interesting that this morning sees the Tory trolls out in force, attacking Swinson as though she is their main concern and selecting the polls for their purpose whilst ignoring those which are uncomfortable. I do not know which polls are most accurate and which are outliers (and neither does anyone else), but it is interesting that the BMG poll putting the LDs back up to 18% and the Tory lead down to 13%...........has been completely ignored.

Because the Tory lead is up from 8% with BMG.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    humbugger said:

Good morning all.

With regards to Labour's new WASPI commitment I wonder if anyone on here knows:

1. Why was this not in the manifesto? Is this just a knee jerk reaction to a QT question?
    2. Have they said how it will be paid for? £58 billion is a big number.
    3. As state pension is taxable will the payments be taxable? If so, how will they know what rate each person should have been paying?
    4. What happens to payments that should have been made to those now deceased?

I'm sure there are loads of other questions on this but these sprung to mind instantly.

Doing something to compensate waspi was in the manifesto, I just dont think it committed a number.

They arent the only ones pandering to them, but it is the worst, most nakedly cynical policy of the campaign so far.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    MaxPB said:

alb1on said:

Because the Tory lead is up from 8% with BMG.
    In which case why ignore it? Perhaps because it does not fit the narrative about the LDs? Perhaps the Tory trolls are even more focused on Swinson than I realised.
  • Options
    So after 3 weeks of campaigning, Tories move into the forties, Labour stuck in the twenties.....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Thanks for the ELBOW Sunil. :D
  • Options
    Hong Kong district elections today - any hope pro-Beijing parties get a drubbing, or are they a quiet majority for the city?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

IanB2 said:

Plus the cracking theme tune of Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride. (Even if it is about whaling....)
    Loved that track, haven't listened to it for years, first and probably last time we agree on anything!

As a committed Tory I want to ask a genuine question. Once Johnson has his majority do you think his government is going to be

A. Liberal Cameron along the lines of the London mayor era
    B. Right wing along the lines of Patel, Raab and the ERG
    C. No clear idealogical direction, making it up as they go along

It would be genuinely nice to have some idea from the committed like yourself and HYUFD as to what sort of government we are in for because I seriously don't have any idea and from an non-Tory pov it could be any of the three.
  • Options

Charles said:

Someone's actually raised this tax hit for the 95% then?

Thank gawd for that.... I don't suppose Ridge did with McDonnell?
    Pushed her pretty hard - first big name interview (if you get to PC you can rewind)

He audible sighed off camera at one point 😆

Said something like “You are just not telling the truth, are you?”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000bqht/the-andrew-marr-show-24112019
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Deutsche Bank presumably.
    Yes. Bloody predictive text!
  • Options
    I'm getting a bit worried now, despite the good polls for the Tories last night.

I mean is this it? Is this the Tory manifesto?

They're going to have to do better than that.

Especially after 9 years in government. Where is the big eye catching announcement? Hmmm. I really hope CCHQ haven't become complacent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

No. It’s not the same model.

MRP is a modelling approach but this firm (datapraxis) uses its own assumptions

YouGov sells its polling data but not the correlations between various classifications and voting behaviours

If all MRP models were the same why would we get multiple versions?

This is a model, like @barnesian or others on here. It may be good, or not. I don’t know. But don’t misrepresent what it.

I know your original post was an error. It doesn’t matter. But why do you always argue points where you made a simple mistake?
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

I'm getting a bit worried now, despite the good polls for the Tories last night.

Especially after 9 years in government. Where is the big eye catching announcement? Hmmm. I really hope CCHQ haven't become complacent.

In 1983 Thatcher made very few big announcements in the Tory manifesto, Labour produced the 'longest suicide note in history', Thatcher won the biggest Tory landslide since WW2.

The Tories are now polling at Thatcher 1983 levels, Labour are polling barely above Foot 1983 levels.

If anyone should be panicking now it is Labour given they have already published their manifesto
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

I dont think they are after last time, the lack of eye catching stuff is a sign of lack of confidence not complacency, of worry that the more there is, the grander the inclusions, the more could upset someone.

The no vat/ni/income tax rise looks like their broadband policy to me - superficially sounds good but probably a bad idea.
This discussion has been closed.