Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden now back as favourite for the Democratic nomination

Comments

• Options

One labour policy I find puzzling is banning free schools and academies. Some of their key voter groups in cities put a high store on academic achievement for their children.

Telling them their school is closing down and becoming a comp - have they thought this through?

It's similar to their obsession with banning the use of outsourcing in the NHS. So all those people who are delighted that they can now get good care in places like the Horder Centre in Sussex are in for a shock if the policy is ever implemented.

However, Labour are throwing so many half-baked, eye-wateringly expensive, ideologically-motivated and often plain bonkers policies at voters that things like these won't get noticed, unless the Tories are really, really good at targetted messaging.
    Nothing to do with 42% of their members being Public Sector vs 17% of the general pop.....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

Colour me 100% unsurprised.

Con Leavers have returned home to Con.

BXP will absorb Labour voters who will never vote Tory.
    I'm sure Mr Meeks will be along shortly to remind us all of the ecological fallacy.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Things have come to a pretty pass when the BBC manages to find an audience member so stupid that even Richard Burgon is capable of correcting him.
  • Options

nico67 said:

The Labour abortion policy is really on the law because currently abortion is illegal but has exceptions . Any policy change would then have to be debated and voted on in the Commons where limits would be put.

The Labour proposal is just making abortion legal. I think Labour need to clarify what exactly the term limits they would think acceptable .

I would assume they are proposing no changes to term limits. It is just a question of decriminalising the procedure. In Northern Ireland the term limit is 28 weeks but the process has been decriminalised and that is what Labour is proposing for the rest of the UK, not to change the term limits.
    I wonder what kind of hysterical and inaccurate stories about Labour we can expect tomorrow, spread with gay abandon by PM Tory shills?
    You are projecting what you want to hear. The process in Northern Ireland has not been decriminalised. Any abortion beyond 28 weeks is a criminal offence, just as any abortion beyond 24 weeks is a criminal offence in the rest of the UK.

Labour's manifesto clearly says they will decriminalise abortions. Since abortion is only a criminal offence beyond 24 weeks, I struggle to see any way of interpreting it other than Labour removing enforcement of the current limit.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    edited November 2019
    philiph said:

RobD said:

The news on Labour’s abortion policy must be wrong or misinterpreted, surely?

I would give them the benefit of the doubt on the content, but would expect some clarification.

It may be ambiguous, badly worded, mischievously misrepresented or misunderstood. I do not believe they are so unconnected to life, morality and reality to propose a full term - 1 day abortion limit.
    You can read the precise wording they have chosen in their manifesto. It says on page 48: “We will uphold women’s reproductive rights and decriminalise abortions..

It would have been easy to add the words “within the existing time limits”. But this has not been done. So either it is an oversight. Or deliberate - which seems to fit with the explanation given by the Labour spokesman today. Or maybe they do not understand the existing law. Who can say?

But it is not a wildly unreasonable reading of the manifesto’s own words to think that Labour intend making it lawful to have abortions right up to birth.
  • Options
    Put a little on Scottish Conservative seats 11-15 on Ladbrokes, 6 (6.5 with boost).
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,004
    Alistair said:
    The press continuing their principled policy of belittling members of the public who don't follow the preferred line
  • Options

Another not happy about the Labour manifesto:

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/1197778910836117504?s=20

and she was so sensible back in the day.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited November 2019

Put a little on Scottish Conservative seats 11-15 on Ladbrokes, 6 (6.5 with boost).

Another poor soul snared by the siren call of the Scottish Tory surge Klaxon.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Farage, you absolute boy! :D
    I love it when a plan (hopefully) comes together. Agents Farage and Corbyn have given loyal service for many years and should be allowed to retire gracefully in the New Year.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    Almost identical position last time to Sunderland Central. In play if the Tories win by over 12% nationally (fag packet calc based on my expectation)
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited November 2019

One labour policy I find puzzling is banning free schools and academies. Some of their key voter groups in cities put a high store on academic achievement for their children.

Telling them their school is closing down and becoming a comp - have they thought this through?

Most (secondary) academies *are* comps. The difference is in the management - cutting out the local authority.

Meanwhile, in terms of performance:

"Evidence on the performance of academies compared to local authority schools is mixed, but on the whole suggests there is no substantial difference in performance."

(From: https://fullfact.org/education/academies-and-maintained-schools-what-do-we-know/)

From a personal point of view: I jacked in being a chair of primary school governors when the government started dismantling local authority education departments and trying to force schools down this route. I'd previously felt well-supported by an effective (Tory-run) LA, and was left with the distinct impression I'd be "it" afterwards. The excellent head delivered two Good Ofsteds in my time, and also quit (early retirement) a year or so later.

Sure. That support can be replicated and possibly even improved by Academy chains, but I'd like to see some realistic assessment of how efficiently that's delivered across regional/national chains with extremely well-paid execs. And the link with local communities/parents is much-weakened.

Basically.. I think academisation was a baby/bathwater solution. By all means bin off old duffers on governing bodies who can't balance a budget or hire people. By all means intervene in failing LAs. But diminishing the role of good ones looks from where I am like an act of vandalism.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You can read the precise wording they have chosen in their manifesto. It says on page 48: “We will uphold women’s reproductive rights and decriminalise abortions..

It would have been easy to add the words “within the existing time limits”. But this has not been done. So either it is an oversight. Or deliberate - which seems to fit with the explanation given by the Labour spokesman today. Or maybe they do not understand the existing law. Who can say?

But it is not a wildly unreasonable reading of the manifesto’s own words to think that Labour intend making it lawful to have abortions right up to birth.

It's very odd that they are proposing anything on abortion. It almost looks as though Jeremy Corbyn is rehashing 1960s controversies.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    HYUFD said:
    Why are Midlands and Wales taken together?
  • Options

Edinburgh SW and Perthshire are the seats to watch for tartan blues
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Age continues to be the main electoral dividing line. Labour still dominate among young voters, but their 51% share of 18-29 year olds is down from the more than 60% they took in 2017

https://t.co/gVDhSzjZLG https://t.co/KMVuenIn6r

People without capital are quite happy to vote to break up capitalism. Government needs to restore balance between the different age groups in society, not just cater for those who vote for them.
    The problem is that if one side unilaterally tries to redress that balance starting with their own supporters, those supporters stop voting for them. Hence the dementia tax going down in infamy.
    Agree that is the problem. For me the solution is leadership and honest communication. Which is why Rory Stewart could have been a fantastic PM.
    A small part of me thinks its certainly not ruled out. He'll do better in London than where he is now. He's still young by politician standards. He's not had a high profile failure yet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Racism and buggery
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

It's very odd that they are proposing anything on abortion. It almost looks as though Jeremy Corbyn is rehashing 1960s controversies.
    The whole manifesto is a nostalgic paean of praise for the policies of the 1960’s and 1970’s.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Most (secondary) academies *are* comps. The difference is in the management - cutting out the local authority.

Meanwhile, in terms of performance:

"Evidence on the performance of academies compared to local authority schools is mixed, but on the whole suggests there is no substantial difference in performance."

(From: https://fullfact.org/education/academies-and-maintained-schools-what-do-we-know/)

From a personal point of view: I jacked in being a chair of primary school governors when the government started dismantling local authority education departments and trying to force schools down this route. I'd previously felt well-supported by an effective (Tory-run) LA, and was left with the distinct impression I'd be "it" afterwards. The excellent head delivered two Good Ofsteds in my time, and also quit (early retirement) a year or so later.

Sure. That support can be replicated and possibly even improved by Academy chains, but I'd like to see some realistic assessment of how efficiently that's delivered across regional/national chains with extremely well-paid execs. And the link with local communities/parents is much-weakened.

Basically.. I think academisation was a baby/bathwater solution. By all means bin off old duffers on governing bodies who can't balance a budget or hire people. By all means intervene in failing LAs. But diminishing the role of good ones looks from where I am like an act of vandalism.
    Some excellent points, but the same applies to grammars (although there are many fewer of course).

Try beating those brilliant chinese and Indian kids to a place at Tiffin for example
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The whole manifesto is a nostalgic paean of praise for the policies of the 1960’s and 1970’s.
    So have any mainstream journalists bothered to ask Labour about this or is a man on newsnight more important?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

BluerBlue said:

Age continues to be the main electoral dividing line. Labour still dominate among young voters, but their 51% share of 18-29 year olds is down from the more than 60% they took in 2017

People without capital are quite happy to vote to break up capitalism. Government needs to restore balance between the different age groups in society, not just cater for those who vote for them.
    The problem is that if one side unilaterally tries to redress that balance starting with their own supporters, those supporters stop voting for them. Hence the dementia tax going down in infamy.
    Agree that is the problem. For me the solution is leadership and honest communication. Which is why Rory Stewart could have been a fantastic PM.
    A small part of me thinks its certainly not ruled out. He'll do better in London than where he is now. He's still young by politician standards. He's not had a high profile failure yet.
    We could plausibly end up with three PMs in a row who were previously Mayor of London.

Suck it, rest of country.
  • Options
    Labour is possessed of a strong analysis: the British state is too weak. But its remedies take no account of its own argument. If it is too weak, it is hardly likely to get up off its sick bed and put things right immediately. That will take time – perhaps a long time. Strangely for a party led by 1970s radicals, it is not Marxist enough. It has no analysis of the state, only conspiracies about the wealthy and blame for the powerful.

The Leninists in the Opposition Leader’s office have not absorbed the lessons of state capitalism deeply enough: structural transformation requires the state to be rewired first. Nor have they really learned from the hard constraints that can force Left governments to change tack: Greece’s Syriza government was forced to turn back in 2015, just as Mitterrand was as President of France in 1983. Labour is overpromising with every breath in its body. A good deal of what it is advocating will likely never happen. The populists and demagogues that then appear may be even more unpleasant than those we face now.

https://capx.co/is-the-british-state-capable-of-labours-real-change/
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Racism and buggery
    More prosaic answer surely is that these are cross-tabs from a poll of 1.6k people and so it's hard to say anything definitive for a more granular regional breakdown?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nostalgia is the driving force of our time, it powers Brexit and Corbyn.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

BluerBlue said:

We could plausibly end up with three PMs in a row who were previously Mayor of London.

Suck it, rest of country.
    Let's be honest, if he does shift Khan, he's got to be odds on to get back into Government and in a high profile role within the following decade.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Alistair said:

As the follow up tweets make clear this is a spoof.
    Or "Fake News".....10 hours and 4,000 re-tweets later....the "clarification" has had 30 re-tweets
    "A lie can travel around the world and back again while the truth is lacing up its boots.”
  • Options
    PB is now literally arguing about whether Labour wants to kill babies. I think you all need to take a deep breath.
  • Options

Alistair said:
    The press continuing their principled policy of belittling members of the public who don't follow the preferred line
    He's being called out for being absolutely, demonstrably, factually wrong (which, while I understand QT may not be able to do live on air, they should certainly have done so to give context to their tweeted video). He is indeed in the top earning five per cent of taxpayers.

I don't favour anyone being "belittled" (and I can't see in that article where he is). But when absolute nonsense is touted as fact, and you're up against the intellectual might of Richard Burgon on TV, it's a really good thing that the facts are put right.

Too many people confuse "talking patent bollocks" with "being allowed an opinion" or "freedom of speech". The latter two are sacrosanct. The first needs to be challenged and fact checked.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

And Disney Remakes
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Because if you think *Scottish* subsamples are bad... :)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Cyclefree said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

I would give them the benefit of the doubt on the content, but would expect some clarification.

It may be ambiguous, badly worded, mischievously misrepresented or misunderstood. I do not believe they are so unconnected to life, morality and reality to propose a full term - 1 day abortion limit.

Quite incredible to me that the abortion of healthy unborn babies that were the result of consensual sex is allowed at all
  • Options
    Have there been any post-debate polls? Or any polls post-debate for that matter?
  • Options

PB is now literally arguing about whether Labour wants to kill babies. I think you all need to take a deep breath.

Just disappointed that Labour are stealing our flagship policy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Racism and buggery
    Voting totals last GE

Midlands and Wales 6,693,557 (EM, WM, Wales)
    North 7,461,024 (NW, NE, Y&H)
    Rest of south 10,705,817 (SW, SE, Anglia)
    London 3,821,038 (London)
    Scotland 2,649,371 (Scotland)
  • Options

No, we are trying to understand what they are proposing, and why.

FWIW I think this article gives some helpful background to their thinking, but the confusion seems to be that the manifesto wording is a fudge:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-manifesto-abortion-law-decriminalisation_uk_5dd428ebe4b08a4325e3a6f1

Note this bit:

Full decriminalisation was raised during the manifesto meeting last Saturday, and shadow justice secretary Richard Burgon said he was willing to back the idea.

Shadow attorney general Shami Chakrabarti pointed out the legal implications and there were warnings that move could spark a backlash from some anti-abortion campaigners. Following consultation between Chakrabarti and Burgon, a compromise form of words was agreed, sources said.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

Quite incredible to me that the abortion of healthy unborn babies that were the result of consensual sex is allowed at all
    The USA can be found to the west of us. I think your views are slightly more mainstream there.
  • Options

If you can offer greater clarity than the Labour manifesto I'm sure it will be welcome
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    nunu2 said:

Just had a campaign event request for the SE.

Looks like strong defences being mounted in Guildford, Hastings and Rye, Crawley and Milton Keynes North and South. They have many more events than anywhere else.

Strong offence in Reading East.

Make of that what you will.

Crawley is the key one.

It is very white working class, and if tories are going there, they haven't put a majority away yet.
    Actually scratch what I just said.

It's simply CCHQ being cautious.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited November 2019

It could be a very big problem for labour

Labour have made the mistake of trying to change vast swathes of uk politics in one piece of stupid self gratification that lays them open to attack from all kinds of vested groups. Indeed I believe they want to interfere in the management of premier league football clubs.

Maybe Corbyn just wanted his moment in producing the hard left manifesto that he has dreamed of for decades but must expect large parts of it will never come about
  • Options
    Split of Con Lab
    Midlands and Wales 46 43.3
    North 37.5 53.1
    Rest of south 53.8 30
    London 33.2 54.6
    Scotland 28.6 27.1
  • Options

Alistair said:
    He's being called out for being absolutely, demonstrably, factually wrong (which, while I understand QT may not be able to do live on air, they should certainly have done so to give context to their tweeted video). He is indeed in the top earning five per cent of taxpayers.

I don't favour anyone being "belittled" (and I can't see in that article where he is). But when absolute nonsense is touted as fact, and you're up against the intellectual might of Richard Burgon on TV, it's a really good thing that the facts are put right.

Too many people confuse "talking patent bollocks" with "being allowed an opinion" or "freedom of speech". The latter two are sacrosanct. The first needs to be challenged and fact checked.
    It does not require an article in a national newspaper. He could have been corrected by the panelist(s). No more is required, he is not a public figure nor seeking office.
    If Burgon and co are too thick to correct him live that's their lookout
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

There will be an Ipsos Mori Scotland only poll out soon.

Should I have my Klaxon ready?

:D
    Don't know, just know that field work has been completed and is being worked on.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

kle4 said:
    Almost identical position last time to Sunderland Central. In play if the Tories win by over 12% nationally (fag packet calc based on my expectation)
    Sunderland Central is like a more optimistic version of Gedling. Seats we think the Tories will do better in than ever happens.
    I remember the hype before the 2010 election and they weren't close.
    I reckon the Tory ceiling is 18000 which won't be enough.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Split of Con Lab
    Midlands and Wales 46 43.3
    North 37.5 53.1
    Rest of south 53.8 30
    London 33.2 54.6
    Scotland 28.6 27.1

Lab on 27 in Scotland?

:smiley:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

No, we are trying to understand what they are proposing, and why.

FWIW I think this article gives some helpful background to their thinking, but the confusion seems to be that the manifesto wording is a fudge:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-manifesto-abortion-law-decriminalisation_uk_5dd428ebe4b08a4325e3a6f1

Note this bit:

Full decriminalisation was raised during the manifesto meeting last Saturday, and shadow justice secretary Richard Burgon said he was willing to back the idea.

Shadow attorney general Shami Chakrabarti pointed out the legal implications and there were warnings that move could spark a backlash from some anti-abortion campaigners. Following consultation between Chakrabarti and Burgon, a compromise form of words was agreed, sources said.
    "a compromise form of words was agreed"

Some quality lawyers they've got in that Shadow Cabinet then!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    There's an 11,000 sample YouGov on Wiki 12-20 Nov - is this an amalgamation of other polls - though previous YouGov was 18-19 Nov.

43/29/15
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

And Disney Remakes
    We are stuck culturally. One day we will break out of it and move forward. But for now the battle is between conservatives that want to hold the status quo and the nostsligists on the left and right that want to turn the clock back. The conservatives are losing. The old future looking left are nowhere.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Just had the conservatives around.

On one level I'm impressed they have people out canvassing on a Friday afternoon - on the other level it's a waste of time as I think only 4 people in my street are in during a work day.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    isam said:

"Quite incredible to me that the abortion of healthy unborn babies that were the result of consensual sex is allowed at all"

I`m surprised to hear you say that. Our species is causing such devastation to the planet - the last this we need is unwanted humans adding to the tally. Are you opposed to the morning-after pill then?
  • Options
    eek said:

On one level I'm impressed they have people out canvassing on a Friday afternoon - on the other level it's a waste of time as I think only 4 people in my street are in during a work day.

Did you see them try other doors? They might have come just for you. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Either way, there's going to be no shortage of supplies for the Con Club BBQ.....
  • Options
    Broad methodology...

Just knock 14% off everywhere from Labour and give 7% to the Brexit party and 7% to the Lib Dems.

If it's a Tory seat, don't worry as Labour aren't winning any of those anyway.
  • Options

Have there been any post-debate polls? Or any polls post-debate for that matter?

Not to my knowledge but there were local elections yesterday
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

We know where you live.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

There's an 11,000 sample YouGov on Wiki 12-20 Nov - is this an amalgamation of other polls - though previous YouGov was 18-19 Nov.

43/29/15

Do you get the same sample size if you add up all the polls in that range?
  • Options
    Interesting metric on the most "conservative/liberal" (both lower case) constituencies:

https://election.unherd.com
  • Options
    RobD said:

But will Labour serve them with Peri Peri or BBQ sauce?

I'd go Peri Peri.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    RobD said:

It shouldn't given the subject matter but made me laugh! ;)
  • Options

Alistair said:

It does not require an article in a national newspaper. He could have been corrected by the panelist(s). No more is required, he is not a public figure nor seeking office.
    He called someone a liar on national TV.

If he didn't want to be fact checked and proven to be an idiot he should have kept his trap shut.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Endillion said:

Another not happy about the Labour manifesto:

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/1197778910836117504?s=20

I'm really starting to wonder how Labour are going to manage the competing demands from all the special interest groups they're cultivating. We've already seen a split open up on the Muslim/LGBT front with regards to education, and the feminist/trans rights situation seems to get more complicated by the day. It's surely only a matter of time before we get animal welfare right vs Muslims (and Jews, not that that's likely to matter) on ritual slaughter, and potentially a parallel issue on circumcision. I guess they'll all stay together at least as long as they can agree they hate the Tories more than anyone else.
    Very succinctly put.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    eek said: "Just had the conservatives around."

I live in Daventry constituency and I can honestly say that in the twenty five years I`ve lived here I`ve never once had a polical candidate knock at my door or, for that matter, been asked to participate in a political survey.

Starting to feel offended.
  • Options
    Mr. D, Scottish Conservative seats (albeit constituency betting) saved me from woe last GE.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm disappointed that they haven't yet adopted the far more enjoyable eating babies part of the original policy.
  • Options

RobD said:

eek said:

We know where you live.
    Yep there is an entire team of them doing the usual leap on to the next house approach. And I'm not that important although if you compare this vote to 2017 (when they didn't win) I'm a vote they would be counting on and have lost.

And the fact it's an entire team is better than 2010 when the candidate was by himself and so bored he stopped for a cup of tea.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited November 2019
    Stocky said:

isam said:

"Quite incredible to me that the abortion of healthy unborn babies that were the result of consensual sex is allowed at all"

I`m surprised to hear you say that. Our species is causing such devastation to the planet - the last this we need is unwanted humans adding to the tally. Are you opposed to the morning-after pill then?

As with almost every other problem in the world today, all that is needed is a degree of self control, responsibilty and thoughtfulness rather than behave recklessly and hope science can clean up the mess. The morning after pill is quite gruesome too, but not at the same level as abortion, as more often than not there wouldnt have been a baby born anyway.
  • Options

. Following consultation between Chakrabarti and Burgon, a compromise form of words was agreed, sources said.
    The Baroness Chakrabati-Burgon compromise!

I can't imagine why its gone wrong....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm sure Mr Meeks will be along shortly to remind us all of the ecological fallacy.
    Psephologically it looked like a tough job but it seems Labour are managing to lose more votes to BXP than the Tories.
  • Options
    isam said:

Stocky said:

isam said:

As with almost every other problem in the world today, all that is needed is a degree of self control, responsibilty and thoughtfulness rather than behave recklessly and hope science can clean up the mess. The morning after pill is quite gruesome too, but not at the same level as abortion, as more often than not there wouldnt have been a baby born anyway.
    Boris is a great example for your argument.
  • Options
    eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

We know where you live.
    Yep there is an entire team of them doing the usual leap on to the next house approach. And I'm not that important although if you compare this vote to 2017 (when they didn't win) I'm a vote they would be counting on and have lost.

And the fact it's an entire team is better than 2010 when the candidate was by himself and so bored he stopped for a cup of tea.
    Are you in a marginal or a safe seat?

I'm assuming that even if people are at work the people volunteering won't be wasting their efforts entirely as they'll be leafleting as they go along too?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

This debate has passed me by somewhat, I assumed it was more just that the labour policy is sloppily drafted and it appears if carried out literally would have unforeseen effects, but that thats clearly not their intent. Is that right?

Abortion is currently "illegal unless" various exceptions. The proposal is to switch it to "legal unless" various exceptions. This is the fundamental change. Obviously one of the exceptions if the change were implemented would be late term termination without sufficiently mitigating circumstances. So, no, it will not allow women to kill off their almost born children willy nilly. It is more symbolic than anything. It enshrines a default principle - but subject to certain exceptions - that a woman's body belongs to her and her alone. It's yet another excellent proposal from Labour.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

43/29/15

Do you get the same sample size if you add up all the polls in that range?
    No - three smaller polls only around 1,600 each.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    This £80k story is great.

Finally challenging the Mail/Express bullcrap that people on such salaries are "middle earners".

Anyone paying 40% tax is well paid.
  • Options
    Labour haven't been round mine yet... Con target 45.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Stocky said:

I live in Daventry constituency and I can honestly say that in the twenty five years I`ve lived here I`ve never once had a polical candidate knock at my door or, for that matter, been asked to participate in a political survey.

I'm in Littlehampton and Bognor and the only canvasser I've ever seen was Lab in 2015.
    On a side note I actually think this is a safer Tory seat now than "posh" Chichester
    which is an illustration of how voting patterns have changed.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

If he didn't want to be fact checked and proven to be an idiot he should have kept his trap shut.
    Yeah, fucking electorate and their inconvenient views. Stick em in the tabloids and shut them up.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Stocky said:

Welcome to FPTnP
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    edited November 2019
    Cyclefree said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

No, it is an absurd reading. On page 59, for instance, Labour says: We will rapidly introduce a Real Living Wage of at least £10 per hour. Few would argue the absence of a cap on that figure and the words "at least" means Labour is promising we shall all be millionaires.

The trouble is some idiot with a political tin ear has revived (or allowed opponents to revive) a controversy most will have hoped was behind us, whatever their views on abortion itself.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

No, it is an absurd reading. On page 59, for instance, Labour says: We will rapidly introduce a Real Living Wage of at least £10 per hour. Few would argue the absence of a cap on that figure and the words "at least" means Labour is promising we shall all be millionaires.

The trouble is some idiot with a political tin ear has revived (or allowed opponents to revive) a controversy most will have hoped was behind us, whatever their views on abortion itself.
    On the contrary, the wording at least £10 implies it will be at most £10, otherwise they’d have used the higher figure.
  • Options

RobD said:

Farage, you absolute boy! :D
    I love it when a plan (hopefully) comes together. Agents Farage and Corbyn have given loyal service for many years and should be allowed to retire gracefully in the New Year.
    I thought I was joking a few days back when I suggested Labour's public school millionaires were all Tory moles.
  • Options
    Annoyingly I've just remembered the question I wanted to ask which was:-

How can you claim 20,000 new police officers when 20,700 posts have been made redundant since 2010 and natural erosion means you need to recruit 3,000 a year anyway.

Grr and I don't think they are coming back.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

"some idiot with a political tin ear" = Burgon
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Racism and buggery
    Add Satanism and wife swapping, and that's a pretty good definition of the Home Counties
  • Options
    eek said:

How can you claim 20,000 new police officers when 20,700 posts have been made redundant since 2010 and natural erosion means you need to recruit 3,000 a year anyway.

Unless they are recruiting the ones they fired, they will be new. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

This debate has passed me by somewhat, I assumed it was more just that the labour policy is sloppily drafted and it appears if carried out literally would have unforeseen effects, but that thats clearly not their intent. Is that right?

Abortion is currently "illegal unless" various exceptions. The proposal is to switch it to "legal unless" various exceptions. This is the fundamental change. Obviously one of the exceptions if the change were implemented would be late term termination without sufficiently mitigating circumstances. So, no, it will not allow women to kill off their almost born children willy nilly. It is more symbolic than anything. It enshrines a default principle - but subject to certain exceptions - that a woman's body belongs to her and her alone. It's yet another excellent proposal from Labour.
    How do you get all that from this sentence - “We will uphold women’s reproductive rights and decriminalise abortions.” - which is what the manifesto says?

Anyway, I’ve sent them an email asking them what this wording means and, specifically, whether term limits will be removed. I’ll pass on any reply I get.

I suppose now I’ll be inundated with rubbish from them ...... :(

Edited: btw currently late term abortions are permitted in certain circumstances (very severe disability, for instance).
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    Where have all the 2017/2019 poll trackers gone? Still waiting for that surge?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Racism and buggery
    Add Satanism and wife swapping, and that's a pretty good definition of the Home Counties
    The thing people a few of my friends noticed when they headed south recently (Guildford I think) was the absolutely horrendous traffic !
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    Stocky said:

isam said:

If you genuinely think human beings are ex officio a problem, then the next flight to Dignitas leaves Heathrow tomorrow, and don't forget to leave me something in your will.
  • Options
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Racism and buggery
    The thing people a few of my friends noticed when they headed south recently (Guildford I think) was the absolutely horrendous traffic !
    I learnt to drive in Guildford. It's an utterly appalling place to try to get round in rush hour.
  • Options

Where have all the 2017/2019 poll trackers gone? Still waiting for that surge?

I also need my fix.

I think yougov’s fancy model is for the past two weeks of the campaign.
  • Options
    eek said:

The French, most irritatingly, have the perfect expression; L'esprit de l'escalier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'esprit_de_l'escalier
  • Options
    How long is it going to take someone in the media to pick up that it can't and isn't just the top 5% as is being claimed - abolishing the Marriage Tax allowance solely affects people who aren't higher rate taxpayers as a household with a higher earner can't claim it today.

It's only people with a low earning spouse (less than the personal allowance) and the other spouse being a basic rate taxpayer who can benefit.

So only households with no higher rate taxpayer are the ones who will lose out.

• Options

And yet at least once a week a poster will complain that PB is only full of LD lefty, marxist sympathisers.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Yeah, fucking electorate and their inconvenient views. Stick em in the tabloids and shut them up.
    Being factually incorrect is not 'a view'

'A view' would be "despite being in the top 5% of earners I feel Labour's tax policies would hit me to the extent it would make it a struggle to get by"

That's a view.

"You're lying about your tax proposals, I'm not even in the top 50% of earners" is the rantings of a self confident imbecile.
  • Options

How long is it going to take someone in the media to pick up that it can't and isn't just the top 5% as is being claimed - abolishing the Marriage Tax allowance solely affects people who aren't higher rate taxpayers as a household with a higher earner can't claim it today.

It's only people with a low earning spouse (less than the personal allowance) and the other spouse being a basic rate taxpayer who can benefit.

So only households with no higher rate taxpayer are the ones who will lose out.

Corbyn’s love (tax) bomb?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

Let’s see what Labour says. Hasn’t a spokesman already said that this means permitting abortions at any stage of pregnancy for any reason? That is a change to the current position - and quite a significant one. It should be easy enough to clarify if there has been a misunderstanding.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    edited November 2019
    Cyclefree said:

How do you get all that from this sentence - “We will uphold women’s reproductive rights and decriminalise abortions.” - which is what the manifesto says?

Anyway, I’ve sent them an email asking them what this wording means and, specifically, whether term limits will be removed. I’ll pass on any reply I get.

I suppose now I’ll be inundated with rubbish from them ...... :(

It's my intuitive interpretation of the reason for the change and its practical impact once drafted as proposed law. But if you get a reply which contradicts me, obviously I would defer to that.
This discussion has been closed.