Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New constituency poll for LAB-held Great Grimsby looks dire fo

Comments

• ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256
    kinabalu said:

The problem is even if Jezza crashes and burns in 3 weeks, the Labour party has been overrun by people like him. The Southam Observer / Rachael Riley types have left the building.

Was Rachel Riley a Labour Party member pre Corbyn era?

Genuine question - I didn't think she was but I could be wrong.
    Don’t know, but I refuse to believe someone so lovely could ever have been a Tory.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    There you go, a cool and calm dismantling of Labour's bonkers spending pledges -

https://twitter.com/i/status/1197520347551145985
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    edited November 2019

An observation on Labour's tax-raising policies which may not be picked up elsewhere:

They make a very simplistic attempt to estimate the revenues from each of the tax grabs, with to be fair to them some allowance for behavioural changes. Some of the latter are even based on some research or Treasury estimates.

However, you can't just add up the effects of behavioural changes as though they were independent, they are not.

If the cumulative effect of all the tax grabs is draconian, even if the individual measures aren't too bad, then the behaviour change is going to be massive. For example, a rise in the income tax rate might lead a successful business owner to change their behaviour slightly (increased use of Venture Capital Trusts or something like that), with minor tax loss. However, a rise in the income tax rate plus a huge hike to CGT plus an increase in Dividend Tax plus an increase in Corporation Tax plus clobbering of company tax reliefs plus a levy on second homes etc etc is completely different. You leave the country, taking your business with you.

I agree with the general point that combined effects can be significant, but think that the "I'll leave the country if X wins" meme (which I've heard about everyone from Trump to Johnson to Blair) is vastly exaggerated.

Companies certainly move their HQs whenever they think it would help them pay less tax (which is a strong argument for an effective EU-wide tax regime in my unreconstructed opinion - moving outside Europe is a bigger step), but individuals have all kinds of non-financial reasons not to head off to live in Andorra or Kanton Zug.

Otherwise they'd have left already - the tax regimes in those places are far lower than here. And, as they're human as well as businesspeople, they will see advantages having a health service that isn't falling apart and schools that don't ask them to chip in to cover essentials. Most will simply give it a try and see how it goes.
  • Anyway Sky and BBC have switched on their interminable live broadcast from Trumps impeachment.. They are so out of touch with ordinary folk in their excessive devotion to US politics. We even have the BBC with the idiotic news programme 'beyond 100 days' with joint London and Washingtin anchors

And they wonder why the populace despair at the London media

You might not like it, but what happens in the US is very relevant to us and the rest of the world.
    I accept that and no one despises Trump more than I do

It is not the coverage, it is the excessive coverage especially when we are in a GE campaign
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590
    kinabalu said:

The problem is even if Jezza crashes and burns in 3 weeks, the Labour party has been overrun by people like him. The Southam Observer / Rachael Riley types have left the building.

Was Rachel Riley a Labour Party member pre Corbyn era?

Genuine question - I didn't think she was but I could be wrong.
    She wasnt. Her latest stunt to photoshop Jezza on an Anti Apartheid protest and swap his banner from "Defend the right to demonstrate against apartheid" to "Jeremy Corbyn is a Racist" is shameful.

She is a Troll
    Rachel Riley: Corbyn is racist, here’s a photo of him (protesting racism) which I doctored in awful taste to fit my right wing agenda

People: that’s shit Rachel

Rachel: omg I’m being cyber bullied this is digusting can’t believe it I’m a poor white blonde girl leave me alone
  • Just wow!!! Labour are going to take on the legendary Lynne Barber?

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1197520012296241152

Surely that interview will have been recorded.
    https://twitter.com/JeremyDuns/status/1197526987679641600?s=20
  • I note some Labour supporters are pinning their hopes in seats like Great Grimsby on the fact it has been Labour held since before WWII. They forget that Mansfield had been held by Labour since 1885 until Ben Bradley pushed it into the blue column in 2017.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    Jason said:

There you go, a cool and calm dismantling of Labour's bonkers spending pledges -

Someone get that man a comb :o
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    Sandpit said:

O/T is it just me or is Mr Schiff who is heading up the impeachment proceedings the spitting image of Charles Logan, the corrupt President of the United States that Jack Bauer brings down in the 5th season of 24?

That's a very good spot! Which is which?

LOL. Little shifty Schitt is clearly the top one! ;)
    edited November 2019

Rachel Riley: Corbyn is racist, here’s a photo of him (protesting racism) which I doctored in awful taste to fit my right wing agenda

Rachel: omg I’m being cyber bullied this is digusting can’t believe it I’m a poor white blonde girl leave me alone

Why not rebut the story rather than attack the journalist?
    Jason said:

What a party pooper!! "We can't expect someone else to pay for it, we collectively need to pay for it"
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

This is very unpleasant from you. Riley has been the target of far worse than this, and what really annoys you is she has had the courage to tell the truth about it.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited November 2019

I agree with the general point that combined effects can be significant, but think that the "I'll leave the country if X wins" meme (which I've heard about everyone from Trump to Johnson to Blair) is vastly exaggerated.

Companies certainly move their HQs whenever they think it would help them pay less tax (which is a strong argument for an effective EU-wide tax regime in my unreconstructed opinion - moving outside Europe is a bigger step), but individuals have all kinds of non-financial reasons not to head off to live in Andorra or Kanton Zug.

Otherwise they'd have left already - the tax regimes in those places are far lower than here. And, as they're human as well as businesspeople, they will see advantages having a health service that isn't falling apart and schools that don't ask them to chip in to cover essentials. Most will simply give it a try and see how it goes.

Leaving the country was just an example. You can also just not invest in a new project, or continue to live here but sell your company to a foreign competitor which moves production out of the UK, or a myriad of other behavioural changes.

The sheer ludicrous scale of the money-spraying Corbyn is proposing is quite unlike anything else we have ever seen in the UK, even more than Foot 1983, which was more about taking industrial relations back to the dire days of the Seventies (although this new manifesto seems to include most of that one as well).

Another humdinger for ordinary people's lives which hasn''t been noted is the utterly insane idea of extending all employment rights to all employees from day one. I'm struggling to think of a single previous policy more calculated to increase unemployment. It massively increases the risk of taking on new employees if you haven't got the safety net of being able to get rid of them without fuss if they turn out to be unsuitable or useless.
  • Definitely decided which party to vote for?

All: 59%
    Con: 71%
    Lab: 54%
    LD: 40%

https://t.co/FUDaL7yJxW #ge2019 https://t.co/UGXWLYeA8u
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,599
    edited November 2019
    ZAP
  • Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Any idiot Remainer who votes tactically against the Tories and risks this repulsive communist lunacy is a fucking moron who DESERVES to have their nice Home Counties house seized by the Corbynite Wealth Gestapo. Wise up you twats.

Someone or other was predicting an epochal Swinsonian miracle that would see the LDs replace Labour to become the sensible, centre left choice. Is that not happening now?
    Clearly not! I noticed a few weeks ago that women, in particular, really dislike her.

I still don’t quite know why. She seems OK to me. I like her accent.
    My mum thinks Jo Swinson has the air of a junior office girl :lol:
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,739

rkrkrk said:

An observation on Labour's tax-raising policies which may not be picked up elsewhere:

They make a very simplistic attempt to estimate the revenues from each of the tax grabs, with to be fair to them some allowance for behavioural changes. Some of the latter are even based on some research or Treasury estimates.

However, you can't just add up the effects of behavioural changes as though they were independent, they are not.

If the cumulative effect of all the tax grabs is draconian, even if the individual measures aren't too bad, then the behaviour change is going to be massive. For example, a rise in the income tax rate might lead a successful business owner to change their behaviour slightly (increased use of Venture Capital Trusts or something like that), with minor tax loss. However, a rise in the income tax rate plus a huge hike to CGT plus an increase in Dividend Tax plus an increase in Corporation Tax plus clobbering of company tax reliefs plus a levy on second homes etc etc is completely different. You leave the country, taking your business with you.

I actually think the effect will be the opposite. Labour are closing down and rationalizing tax loopholes. So the effectiveness of their tax raises will be greater as there is less room for the kind of tricks you mention.
    You think Labour plan to stop people leaving the country?
    That will comfort the Jews....
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 4,155

Definitely decided which party to vote for?

Isn't it just a story of tactical voting between LD and Lab (and poss Green) for many of those voters, though? Looking at the below, suggests huge tactical swings possible in remainia:

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1197507032468918272?fbclid=IwAR2_qLojRtvLCm0p3XcauiWYX3EpSxR_yuc_jKnDK0wpcIBqub2YDrMTZxo
  • rkrkrk said:

I actually think the effect will be the opposite. Labour are closing down and rationalizing tax loopholes. So the effectiveness of their tax raises will be greater as there is less room for the kind of tricks you mention.
    The Berlin Wall wasn't built to stop people from entering the country.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Any idiot Remainer who votes tactically against the Tories and risks this repulsive communist lunacy is a fucking moron who DESERVES to have their nice Home Counties house seized by the Corbynite Wealth Gestapo. Wise up you twats.

Someone or other was predicting an epochal Swinsonian miracle that would see the LDs replace Labour to become the sensible, centre left choice. Is that not happening now?
    Clearly not! I noticed a few weeks ago that women, in particular, really dislike her.

She needs a fashion adviser, her smocks are really ugly
  • O/T this is an important poll, only the second we have had from a strong Leave voting Labour seat which is on the Tories' target list. It tells the same story as the first (Workington) and thus points to a string of Con gains in other Leave voting Labour seats.

For the record, my model (based on late October YouGov polling and following preferences of Leave/Remain voters according to each 2017 party category) has the following for Great Grimsby:
    Con 39
    Lab 25
    LD 12
    BXP 19
    Green 5

Once you make some further tweaks to allow for a small amount of tactical vote switching to Lab and Con, and factor in the national opinion poll shifts since late October, that seems in the right ball park i.e. generating a result not far from this poll.

By contrast, Barnesian's model for Great Grimsby has
    Con 45
    Lab 48
    LD 3
    BXP 5
    Green 0

That's way out compared to what the poll is saying. Lab vote overstated by 17%.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Anyway Sky and BBC have switched on their interminable live broadcast from Trumps impeachment.. They are so out of touch with ordinary folk in their excessive devotion to US politics. We even have the BBC with the idiotic news programme 'beyond 100 days' with joint London and Washingtin anchors

And they wonder why the populace despair at the London media

You might not like it, but what happens in the US is very relevant to us and the rest of the world.
    I accept that and no one despises Trump more than I do

It is not the coverage, it is the excessive coverage especially when we are in a GE campaign
    Every day for the last 3 days has been blockbuster testimony.

O/T this is an important poll, only the second we have had from a strong Leave voting Labour seat which is on the Tories' target list. It tells the same story as the first (Workington) and thus points to a string of Con gains in other Leave voting Labour seats.

For the record, my model (based on late October YouGov polling and following preferences of Leave/Remain voters according to each 2017 party category) has the following for Great Grimsby:
    Con 39
    Lab 25
    LD 12
    BXP 19
    Green 5

Once you make some further tweaks to allow for a small amount of tactical vote switching to Lab and Con, and factor in the national opinion poll shifts since late October, that seems in the right ball park i.e. generating a result not far from this poll.

Con 45
    Lab 48
    LD 3
    BXP 5
    Green 0

I am really looking forward to the post-election analysis of which models - more particularly which model assumptions - proved most accurate/inaccurate.

O/T this is an important poll, only the second we have had from a strong Leave voting Labour seat which is on the Tories' target list. It tells the same story as the first (Workington) and thus points to a string of Con gains in other Leave voting Labour seats.

Con 39
    Lab 25
    LD 12
    BXP 19
    Green 5

Con 45
    Lab 48
    LD 3
    BXP 5
    Green 0

No wonder it was only predicting a majority of a few with 15 point leads for the Blues.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    RobD said:

Because he supports Corbyn?
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2019
    148grss said:

Isn't it just a story of tactical voting between LD and Lab (and poss Green) for many of those voters, though? Looking at the below, suggests huge tactical swings possible in remainia:

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1197507032468918272?fbclid=IwAR2_qLojRtvLCm0p3XcauiWYX3EpSxR_yuc_jKnDK0wpcIBqub2YDrMTZxo
    Well this is more to the point.

https://twitter.com/IpsosMORI/status/1197528530688626695/photo/1

The low LD score compared to this time last election, when they were polling much lower, suggests that their ~15% VI is very fragile. They could collapse further with LD -> L tactical voting.

But Labour voters aren't much less certain than this point last time, when their VI was similar to now.

The trouble is for the most impact in Remainia uncertain voters would need to move L -> LD
    i can see that - spoken to some horrified people today.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261

Trumps not being investigated for institutional racism, corbyn is

Ah OK. So the key for you was the announcement of the EHRC investigation. That's what triggered your outrage. Fair enough. And of course you're right about the Trump Administration. It is not as we speak being investigated for institutional racism. Doubt it will be tbh. There isn't the bandwidth, what with all the other stuff.
  • 72% don't want a Hung Parliament.
    RobD said:

Con 39
    Lab 25
    LD 12
    BXP 19
    Green 5

Con 45
    Lab 48
    LD 3
    BXP 5
    Green 0

No wonder it was only predicting a majority of a few with 15 point leads for the Blues.
    I was talking to someone today who says the wide feeling within the different parties is it feels like hung parliament territory when door knocking and campaigning, but I was questioning them because of all the polling 🤷‍♂️
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    148grss said:
    Liz Truss is one of the stupidest and most incompetent Government Ministers around. Why anyone rates her I have no idea.
    148grss said:

RobD said:

Con 39
    Lab 25
    LD 12
    BXP 19
    Green 5

Con 45
    Lab 48
    LD 3
    BXP 5
    Green 0

I was talking to someone today who says the wide feeling within the different parties is it feels like hung parliament territory when door knocking and campaigning, but I was questioning them because of all the polling 🤷‍♂️
    Isn’t that a message both parties want to convey?
  • Cyclefree said:

148grss said:
    Liz Truss is one of the stupidest and most incompetent Government Ministers around. Why anyone rates her I have no idea.
    She's great. She opened up new pork markets don't you know?
  • camelcamel Posts: 815

Con 39
    Lab 25
    LD 12
    BXP 19
    Green 5

Con 45
    Lab 48
    LD 3
    BXP 5
    Green 0

Good post Phil, but its not explained why your model thinks the 2019 LDs will so significantly improve upon their 2017 performance of 2.7%. Barnesian's 3% looks low, but yours look quite high to me. Unless you are factoring in Onn's brexityness, in which case fine, sorry for bothering you.
  • O/T this is an important poll, only the second we have had from a strong Leave voting Labour seat which is on the Tories' target list. It tells the same story as the first (Workington) and thus points to a string of Con gains in other Leave voting Labour seats.

Con 39
    Lab 25
    LD 12
    BXP 19
    Green 5

Con 45
    Lab 48
    LD 3
    BXP 5
    Green 0

I have:

Con 40
    Lab 31
    LD 5
    BXP 15
    Green 6.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited November 2019
    You have to admire Corbyn's sheer brazenness:

Corbyn, 2015:

No to fracking, no to new nuclear power

I am opposed to fracking and to new nuclear on the basis of the dangers posed to our ecosystems. ...

New nuclear power will mean the continued production of dangerous nuclear waste and an increased risk from radioactive accident and nuclear proliferation. In May, Sellafield nuclear waste site in Cumbria was granted permission to exceed legal limits for the amount of hot radioactive waste it can keep in tanks, following an accident that has led to a backlog of waste.

Corbyn's manifesto, 2019:

The Tories have let down the people of Ynys Môn (Anglesey) by failing to deliver the Wylfa project. Labour will work with people on the island to maximise its potential for new nuclear energy.

https://theecologist.org/2015/aug/07/jeremy-corbyn-green-britain-i-want-build
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

So what about the question of anti-Semitism? He suddenly turns from Mr Affable to Mr Angry, as if someone has pressed a switch. ‘There is NO anti-Semitism in the Labour Party,’ he bellows. Huh? How can he believe that when The Jewish Chronicle recently published a poll saying that half the British Jewish community would consider emigrating if Corbyn came to power? That is a pretty serious indictment, surely, if Jews are actually scared of living in Britain under Labour? ‘There is nothing, nothing, nothing in my life that has ever been racist or anti-Semitic in any way.’

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/esmagazine/jeremy-corbyn-labour-interview-election-antisemitism-brexit-a4290601.html

And note how quickly he elides from the party to him (he does this pretty frequently whenever the subject is raised). It is perfectly possible for him not to be anti-semitic but for there to be a problem in the party he leads. By making it about him he personalises it and stops people looking at or doing anything about the issues in the party. It's all "le party c'est moi" stuff.

Sneaky and dishonest.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Still struggling to square the stream of truly dire constituency polls for Labour, when their national numbers are stable and (maybe) dribbling upwards.

Any ideas? [BJO: Yougov is not being controlled by the Tories]
  • 72% don't want a Hung Parliament.
    Its a weird thing to want as a first preference. It is a rational thing to want as an alternative to the most likely outcomes.

Some will be answering do they want a hung parliament as a first preference, others answering do they want a hung parliament or tory majority, others answering do they want a hung parliament instead of either labour or tories (but not considering a LD or Green govt).

Aggregating those answers fills media space but tells us very little.

This is very unpleasant from you. Riley has been the target of far worse than this, and what really annoys you is she has had the courage to tell the truth about it.
    No she changed an image of Corbyn actually opposing Racist Apartheid to one changing the words on the banner to Corbyn is a Racist

She is a troll
  • Byronic said:

RobD said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

"Bollocks to the Biggest Democratic Decision this Country has Made" as a slogan might have something to do with it.
    But it isn’t that. I asked these women why they disliked Swinson. They admitted it was a reflexive, intuitive reaction. Swinson seems to annoy. One of those faces, maybe
    It is because she is shouty and shrill and like Violet Elizabeth Bott being cute just doesn't make up for it - at least not for me.

148grss said:

Well this is more to the point.

https://twitter.com/IpsosMORI/status/1197528530688626695/photo/1

The low LD score compared to this time last election, when they were polling much lower, suggests that their ~15% VI is very fragile. They could collapse further with LD -> L tactical voting.

But Labour voters aren't much less certain than this point last time, when their VI was similar to now.

The trouble is for the most impact in Remainia uncertain voters would need to move L -> LD
    I mean, the current vote share could be really good for remainia if it is efficiently spread. So if in SW and South in general (not London) L votes go LD, and in the North and Midlands LD votes go L, that could create a scenario where both L and LD vote share is where it is now, but they get more seats out of it than they otherwise would. That's why having a 3rd of the uncertain LDs and L votes having each other as their most likely eventual choice makes this messy...
    Anorak said:

Still struggling to square the stream of truly dire constituency polls for Labour, when their national numbers are stable and (maybe) dribbling upwards.

Piling up votes in the metropolis?
  • Rachel Riley: Corbyn is racist, here’s a photo of him (protesting racism) which I doctored in awful taste to fit my right wing agenda

No she changed an image of Corbyn actually opposing Racist Apartheid to one changing the words on the banner to Corbyn is a Racist

She is a troll
    Struggling to see what's wrong with that?

Corbyn is a racist.
    RobD said:

But assuming for the sake of argument that the "story" IS false and malicious, why should its author be exempt from attack? Not abuse, I don't mean that, but strong and personal criticism.
    Anorak said:

Labour gaining in seats they can't really win / wracking up numbers in safe London / Manc / Birmingham seats, but losing their base support in some Brexity seats?
    RobD said:

Anorak said:

Sounds plausible, but the London subsamples are not good for them (happy to be corrected).

Could be that Liverpool/Manchester/B'ham/Newcastle will break strongly Labour, I suppose. It's not resonating with my waters, though.
    Floater said:

RobD said:

Riley is a troll

She isnt a journalist btw
    Must have been ten minutes since the last poll. Surely we are due another?
  • Inside the BBC, Bercow’s attempt to impose conditions on the interview have been contrasted with , Prince Andrew’s decision to appear on the British public broadcaster this week with no strings attached.

“There’s Andrew, a royal, with serious sexual allegations against him agreeing for a full-on, no red-lines interview,” a BBC source said.

“Then Bercow, trying to puff up his post-speaker career on the talk circuit, throwing a tantrum and cancelling an interview with the Beeb.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/bercow-bbc-demands?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bfsharetwitter
    Not only a bad show from Priti, but a "why did beeb delete this" from people making it a viral wonder for the paranoid.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/21/priti-patel-says-tory-government-not-to-blame-for-poverty-in-uk

She is a troll
    And Corbyn is an anti Semite.
  • It seems to me that one of the following sentences is true, I'm curious @bigjohnowls which you think?

1: British Jews need to learn to understand English irony.
    2: Jeremy Corbyn is a racist.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    RobD said:

Jason said:

Someone get that man a comb :o
    He was perfectly groomed this morning, what you see is the result of trying to tear all his hair out while reading the Lab manifesto ;-)

She wasnt. Her latest stunt to photoshop Jezza on an Anti Apartheid protest and swap his banner from "Defend the right to demonstrate against apartheid" to "Jeremy Corbyn is a Racist" is shameful.

She is a Troll

That, I must admit, is rather my impression. And I'm not one to just assume that of anybody saying something damaging about Corbyn and antisemitism. My sense is that there is a problem in this area.
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

Sounds plausible, but the London subsamples are not good for them (happy to be corrected).

Could be that Liverpool/Manchester/B'ham/Newcastle will break strongly Labour, I suppose. It's not resonating with my waters, though.
    Some classes of voters are simply 'more available to comment' than others?

It must be much tougher to reach the blokes on the building sites and in the factories with the 'We love Boris signs' than, say, students? or mumsnet mums?
    Can't wait to see the Tory press tomorrow. They must be salivating over the Labour manifesto.

Floater said:

RobD said:

Riley is a troll

Corbyn was a net negative for both the anti-apartheid movement and the Irish peace process.

He was castigated by none other than Seamus Milne for the former, and voted against the phenomenal achievement that was the Good Friday Agreement.

Man's a complete twat.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521
    If the Labour vote is not holding up in Great Grimsby, where is it?

Existing no hope Conservative held seats?
  • Floater said:

RobD said:

Riley is a troll

She is a British television presenter and mathematician

You are acting as the troll BJO
  • If the Labour vote is not holding up in Great Grimsby, where is it?

Lab hold Liverpool - Walton?

It seems to me that one of the following sentences is true, I'm curious @bigjohnowls which you think?

The following is a classic too

https://order-order.com/2019/11/19/corbyn-claimed-jewish-newspapers-victorian-era-made-jews-powerful/

Jason said:

Can't wait to see the Tory press tomorrow. They must be salivating over the Labour manifesto.

CCHQ fact check to be revived? :D
  • Floater said:

It seems to me that one of the following sentences is true, I'm curious @bigjohnowls which you think?

https://order-order.com/2019/11/19/corbyn-claimed-jewish-newspapers-victorian-era-made-jews-powerful/

Wow! I hadn't seen that one. What a racist.
    Corbyn isn't a racist, he is simply expedient about racism. Right now, anti-semitism suits his political purposes, and so he tolerates it.
  • drmacfdrmacf Posts: 12
    Hi Guys,
    Anyone knows which online sites or betting shops would accept a cumulative or bankers bet on several constituencies together? I have tried several, but all they allow are single bets, on one Constituency at a time.
    Thanks

Mel
    edited November 2019

Floater said:

Wow! I hadn't seen that one. What a racist.
    Apparently you can now get that on a T-shirt :D
    The difference in these donation numbers is nuts....

https://www.twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1197528262790004737
  • PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    The cross tabs tell the story in the Great Grimsby poll. Undecideds are disproportionately people who voted Labour in 2017. We've seen this pattern in a number of polls recently.

When they report the headline polls by excluding undecideds, the sample base then becomes one which was more Tory than Labour in 2017.

From a betting perspective, I think that most of those undecideds who voted Labour last time will revert to Labour again, encourged by the Labour/Momentum driven GOTV effort.
    drmacf said:

Hi Guys,
    Anyone knows which online sites or betting shops would accept a cumulative or bankers bet on several constituencies together? I have tried several, but all they allow are single bets, on one Constituency at a time.
    Thanks

Mel

Contingent probabilities, innit. No chance.

She is a troll
    Struggling to see what's wrong with that?

Corbyn is a life long anti racist.
    Corrected
    drmacf said:

Hi Guys,
    Thanks

Mel

Welcome to PB. I don’t think those are typically offered.
    RobD said:

Russian Billionaires
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    PaulM said:

The cross tabs tell the story in the Great Grimsby poll. Undecideds are disproportionately people who voted Labour in 2017. We've seen this pattern in a number of polls recently.

When they report the headline polls by excluding undecideds, the sample base then becomes one which was more Tory than Labour in 2017.

From a betting perspective, I think that most of those undecideds who voted Labour last time will revert to Labour again, encourged by the Labour/Momentum driven GOTV effort.

Is it enough to flip the seat ?
  • ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    RobD said:

Labour need to keep some of that money back for the fall out of the ECHR report.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    drmacf said:

Hi Guys,
    Thanks

Mel

Welcome to PB. Sadly, a bookmaker will call these “related contingencies”, meaning that the results are not independent events, which is why they won’t offer you an accumulator on several.
  • drmacf said:

Hi Guys,
    Thanks

Mel

They are related contingencies so bookies will never offer accumulators on them.

The only exception to this is that occasionally you'll get a special bet on some specific combination, but that will be priced up by the bookie specially.
  • Byronic said:

Byronic said:

In an over-manned totally inefficient office - the sort who will ask you if you want tea / coffee disappear for 10 mins - and come back with neither.
    RobD said:

Jason said:

CCHQ fact check to be revived? :D
    On a final warning from Twitter so hope so

RobD said:

Russian Billionaires
    Billionaires? Why are they being so stingy.
  • RobD said:

Imagine what it will be after the CEOs finish reading Labour's manifesto...
  • RobD said:

That's a completely meaningless tweet, since the period covered is just a week.
    Looking forward to Thornberry on election night on the Beeb
    We've had great results in Liverpool. Birkenhead was disappointing but Frank is a long established MP there. Manchester was a real tour de force for us.
    You're now off to your count, are you confident of holding your seat?
    Well, lets see shall we?

Corbyn isn't a racist, he is simply expedient about racism. Right now, anti-semitism suits his political purposes, and so he tolerates it.

Apologies in advance for this because it's such an obvious comment, but I do think it ought to be made, so why not by me.

Here goes -

And many of Corbyn's biggest critics on this are not truly horrified by racism in all its forms, they are simply being opportunistic. Right now, the charge of antisemitism suits their political purposes and hence they push it for all they are worth.
    kinabalu said:

Apologies in advance for this because it's such an obvious comment, but I do think it ought to be made, so why not by me.

Here goes -

And many of Corbyn's biggest critics on this are not truly horrified by racism in all its forms, they are simply being opportunistic. Right now, the charge of antisemitism suits their political purposes and hence they push it for all they are worth.
    Using it for less-than-holy purposes does not, however, make it untrue.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2019
    Pulpstar said:

PaulM said:

If all the undecideds who are certain to vote all went to Labour it would be very close.
  • If the Labour vote is not holding up in Great Grimsby, where is it?

Basically yes. According to my model anyway. Plus of course their vote share is currently down about 10pp or more nationally on current polls so it doesn't really need to hold up anywhere to be consistent with this Grimsby polling. Equally Grimsby is exactly the sort of seat Labour would lose - even if we ended up in hung parliament - so I would be wary of over extrapolating it.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

drmacf said:

Hi Guys,
    Thanks

Mel

They are related contingencies so bookies will never offer accumulators on them.

The only exception to this is that occasionally you'll get a special bet on some specific combination, but that will be priced up by the bookie specially.
    Betting staff will have a blanket ban on any sort of constituency acca - even a daft one.

They won't accept a £2 multiple on Con Gain Liverpool Walton and Lab Gain South Holland and the Deepings.

I mean they probably should, but they won't.
  • drmacf said:

Hi Guys,
    Thanks

Mel

They're not independent so accumulators aren't permitted generally. I doubt you'll find any that allow it.
    kinabalu said:

Here goes -

It's more horrified by Labour in all its forms. Their racism is just one of many things to attack them on. There are plenty of others, economic incompetence, cosying up to enemies of the country, unpatriotic treachery, inviting terrorists to the HoC, betraying the working class etc etc
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508

rkrkrk said:

That will comfort the Jews....
    If you convince yourself and everyone else that you are not anti-semitic then obviously everything and anything you do cannot possibly be anti-semitic.

Pulpstar said:

PaulM said:

If they all went Labour it would be very close.
    likelihood of that < 1% ?
  • RobD said:

That's a completely meaningless tweet, since the period covered is just a week.
    It is but who on Earth thought over that week 'you know who I think should get my money? The Brexit Party'
This discussion has been closed.