Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The November WH2020 Democratic debate and another reminder tha

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The November WH2020 Democratic debate and another reminder that they do these things better in the country where Boris was born

Overnight we have had the latest Democratic party debate as part of the prolonged process to determine who should fight against Donald Trump in the presidential election next November.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    Second, like UK TV networks covering political debates.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    How is my Buttigieg bet looking?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Cyclefree said:

How is my Buttigieg bet looking?

A lot better than when you placed it!
  • Options
    FPT
    Cyclefree said:

Speaking personally I would legalise both the strong and weak stuff and sell it through legal mechanisms and not gangs. And let HMRC join the fight against any illegal, unregulated and untaxed sales.

Lets compare with alcohol. I don't know any alcoholics who abuse low strength beer, though that may be what they started drinking. It is high strength drinks, sometimes beer or wine but most especially spirits which are the biggest problem. But we don't criminalise spirits - and we offer education and health services to those who struggle.

I don't see anyone arguing to legalise because it did them no harm, I see arguments to legalise because prohibition has failed miserably and is leading to drug gangs.

Accurately describing the failure of a current policy is not in itself - without more - a good argument for doing the opposite.

At the risk of repeating myself, let’s get some evidence about the harm involved and then work out how best to minimise it in the most effective way. That may result in the policies you advocate but I marvel at the ability of people - and this is not aimed at you personally - to come up with such policies on the basis of relatively little or no scientific, medical, legal, criminal or other relevant knowledge in this area.
    We have evidence from hundreds of countries across the globe and a hundred years of history of what is and what is not working.

What "harm involved" are you talking about? And are you just restricting to the side effects of the cannabis itself? Or are you including in "harm involved" the stabbings and other fatal and non-fatal gang violence that prohibition is causing both now and has caused historically?

We have been debating this issue now for decades, we don't have relatively little or no knowledge in this area.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    'I raised $17,000 from ex boyfriends and I'd like to point out it's not an expanding base'

A good line by Amy Klobuchar. Maybe Mike's onto another winner. A sense of humour goes a long way.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The Tories were never in power in the 1970, they also did not (given they were not in power obvioisly) pursue policies that bankrupted the country leading to the losing an election.

You all clearly have false memories.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Second, like UK TV networks covering political debates.

UK TV networks are a lot lower than second!

Australian TV debates are mammothly better than UK ones too. Maybe when we're on the second page of this thread we'll be upto where UK TV networks place.
  • Options
    When £85 is not "exactly" £500 but "slightly lower". A leader and cabinet in touch with real life budgets of workers and an attention for detail!

From the BBC

"Sajid Javid is quizzed on Boris Johnson's comments yesterday that the initial benefit of raising the threshold at which people start paying National Insurance contributions would "put £500 into the pockets of everybody".

In fact, that's not the correct figure. The Conservatives' own press release says the benefit from raising the threshold to £9,500 in 2020-21 would be £100 per year. The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) says it would be £85 per year.

So did Mr Johnson get his sums wrong or spin the figures?

"I don't think there's any spinning going on, he's just given a straight answer," replies Mr Javid.

But he gave the wrong answer, the presenter points out

Mr Javid says: "We're setting out the detail today. The £500 figure is not exactly £500, it's something slightly lower than £500."
  • Options
    Has there been any adverse comment yet on the fact that Cecil Rhodes paid for Buttiegieg's education?
  • Options

When £85 is not "exactly" £500 but "slightly lower". A leader and cabinet in touch with real life budgets of workers and an attention for detail!

From the BBC

"Sajid Javid is quizzed on Boris Johnson's comments yesterday that the initial benefit of raising the threshold at which people start paying National Insurance contributions would "put £500 into the pockets of everybody".

In fact, that's not the correct figure. The Conservatives' own press release says the benefit from raising the threshold to £9,500 in 2020-21 would be £100 per year. The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) says it would be £85 per year.

"I don't think there's any spinning going on, he's just given a straight answer," replies Mr Javid.

Mr Javid says: "We're setting out the detail today. The £500 figure is not exactly £500, it's something slightly lower than £500."

That's ridiculous. The policy is to get it to £9,500 next year then to take it up to £12,500 as it becomes affordable - as was done with the Income Tax threshold rises. If it goes to £12,500 by the end of the next Parliament it will be close to £500 by the end of the next Parliament.
  • Options

From the BBC

He''s a compulsive liar doing what compulsive liars do.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    edited November 2019

From the BBC

That's ridiculous. The policy is to get it to £9,500 next year then to take it up to £12,500 as it becomes affordable - as was done with the Income Tax threshold rises. If it goes to £12,500 by the end of the next Parliament it will be close to £500 by the end of the next Parliament.
    That is not what the PM said, he thinks (thought) the initial cut is £500 per year.

"In a separate interview with ITV News, Mr Johnson talked about the benefit from raising the threshold to £9,500 saying: "It's about £500 a year." The reporter challenged him saying: "That's not what you are guaranteeing. You are guaranteeing about £100 next year and there's an ambition for £500."

But Mr Johnson was adamant: "You are not right there. We are going to £9,500 threshold initially and then the ambition is to get to the £12,500 threshold. But the initial cut that we are making does offer a £500 cut for every working person."

Also someone pointed out it would be many many years before CPI took 9500-12500 unless we are going for hyperinflation post brexit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

From the BBC

That is not what the PM said, he thinks (thought) the initial cut is £500 per year.

"In a separate interview with ITV News, Mr Johnson talked about the benefit from raising the threshold to £9,500 saying: "It's about £500 a year." The reporter challenged him saying: "That's not what you are guaranteeing. You are guaranteeing about £100 next year and there's an ambition for £500."

But Mr Johnson was adamant: "You are not right there. We are going to £9,500 threshold initially and then the ambition is to get to the £12,500 threshold. But the initial cut that we are making does offer a £500 cut for every working person."

Also someone pointed out it would be many many years before CPI took 9500-12500 unless we are going for hyperinflation post brexit.
    He's not a details man, the finer points of arithmetic are for minions like Javid to deal with.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Alistair said:

The Tories were never in power in the 1970, they also did not (given they were not in power obvioisly) pursue policies that bankrupted the country leading to the losing an election.

I take your point.

I promise to sign up to the government memory realignment programme as soon as the new Home Secretary announces it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

From the BBC

He's not a details man, the finer points of arithmetic are for minions like Javid to deal with.
    Or perhaps it is deliberate lies like the bus campaign. Get everyone arguing about whether the Tories are giving workers 500 or 85 embedding the thought of the Tories giving workers something. Idiot or liar for a PM? Or a combo?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Telegraph reporting today that the UK is attracting more venture capital for tech companies than Germany and France put together and more than twice as much as we did 2016.
    This is one of the major reasons that the UK will outperform the EZ over the next decade.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Roger said:

'I raised $17,000 from ex boyfriends and I'd like to point out it's not an expanding base'

A good line by Amy Klobuchar. Maybe Mike's onto another winner. A sense of humour goes a long way.

Normally she is as dull as water. I tried hard to listen to her radio interview when I was in the US but it was impossible to concentrate, so uninteresting was what she had to say.
  • Options

From the BBC

2039 at current rates of inflation.

2022 if the Tories raise inflation to 15% (they've done it before, just saying :wink:)
  • Options

From the BBC

2039 at current rates of inflation.

2022 if the Tories raise inflation to 15% (they've done it before, just saying :wink:)
    Why stop at 12,500, why not go for 100,000 by 2085?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Normally she is as dull as water. I tried hard to listen to her radio interview when I was in the US but it was impossible to concentrate, so uninteresting was what she had to say.
    America might be about ready for an uninteresting President after the past 3 years.
  • Options

From the BBC

They aren't proposing CPI takes it from 9500 - 12500. Javid was quite clear the ambition was to get it to 12500 then have CPI lift it from there.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328
    edited November 2019
    Its getting a bit boring to hear teferences to compulsive lying. You should take it as read that any politician who moves their lips is being economical with the truth.
  • Options

From the BBC

They aren't proposing CPI takes it from 9500 - 12500. Javid was quite clear the ambition was to get it to 12500 then have CPI lift it from there.
    Well if they eventually bother to publish a manifesto rather than talk about favourite curries and playing with mops we might have some detail.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Telegraph reporting today that the UK is attracting more venture capital for tech companies than Germany and France put together and more than twice as much as we did 2016.
    This is one of the major reasons that the UK will outperform the EZ over the next decade.

100% agreed.

I remember saying a year ago that I expected after Brexit once the uncertainty goes away that the UK will outperform the EZ and I was laughed at here for that.
  • Options
    On the US race, this is still Biden's to lose. His biggest strength isn't momentum - it's that there is no one else in the "big 4" that is anywhere near on the black vote.

I'd have this as :.

Biden

Gap

Warren

Fresh air

Sanders
    Buttigieg

30 furlongs

Klobuchar/Harris

No chance

Yang/Bloomberg

right now.

• Options

From the BBC

The Tories haven't been at all clear about this from what I can see - different stories given by the same people in different interviews.

Let's see what the manifesto says on Sunday.
  • Options

Its getting a bit boring to hear teferences to compulsive lying. You should take it as read that any politician who moves their lips is being economical with the truth.

That's not true. Skillful politicians put the best possible spin on reality and marshall the facts in order to support their arguments. Only rubbish politicians and compulsive liars tell complete untruths. It represents a coarsening of our politics and will lead to worse policies.
    My guess is that Johnson is completely innumerate. He did classics at Uni and then worked as a hack where he made up numbers. He is always very careless with anything quantitative which is a clear sign of innumeracy. Do we know what he got in his maths A level?
  • Options

From the BBC

Well if they eventually bother to publish a manifesto rather than talk about favourite curries and playing with mops we might have some detail.
    The thing is curries and mops have them steaming ahead in the polls. Why change a winning formula?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

As I was born at the end of the 70s am I right in thinking the SNP helped oust a Labour government and ushered in Thatcher and eighteen years of Tory rule?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

From the BBC

Or perhaps it is deliberate lies like the bus campaign. Get everyone arguing about whether the Tories are giving workers 500 or 85 embedding the thought of the Tories giving workers something. Idiot or liar for a PM? Or a combo?
    Good spot.

Come up with an idea, overegg it a bit; get a row going about your idea and dominate the morning news with said idea.
    Looks like the bus again to me.
  • Options

From the BBC

The Tories haven't been at all clear about this from what I can see - different stories given by the same people in different interviews.

Let's see what the manifesto says on Sunday.
    Javid was very clear in the interview he gave earlier. I'd think the Chancellor of the Exchequer would be a good person to listen to on this.
  • Options

From the BBC

Charlie Kennedy was crucified for getting his sums wrong but we later learnt he had a drink problem. Johnson had no such excuse. he's just a bare-faced liar and everyone knows it. Is he worse han Trump? I wouldn't like to have to judge but the similarities don't end there.
  • Options

DavidL said:

100% agreed.

I remember saying a year ago that I expected after Brexit once the uncertainty goes away that the UK will outperform the EZ and I was laughed at here for that.
    The UK is extremely well placed for growth compared with most of the EU ( clearly some of the eastern members are still in catch up mode). The gloom and doom is massively overdone and Brexit is a relatively trivial matter in economic terms.
  • Options
    The ONS as at the end of 2018/19 has dumped over £55bn of student loans on the government debt:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/bulletins/publicsectorfinances/october2019#developments-in-public-sector-finance-statistics-september-2019

That was an increase of over £16bn on the previous financial year.

Long term economic plan was the phrase.
  • Options

From the BBC

Sensible to let labour and lib dems put their manifesto in the public domain first.

Some talk it will be on sunday
  • Options
    DavidL said:

From the BBC

The thing is curries and mops have them steaming ahead in the polls. Why change a winning formula?
    I dont know, perhaps the self respect that can come from being honest, accountable and decent might be more important to some than others.
  • Options
    Tories arguing about how just much they are giving way to the voters, on the day of the Labour manifesto launch.

Accident? Hmmmm.......
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

100% agreed.

The UK is extremely well placed for growth compared with most of the EU ( clearly some of the eastern members are still in catch up mode). The gloom and doom is massively overdone and Brexit is a relatively trivial matter in economic terms.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380
    Looking at the debate clips and comparing it to the recent leaders' debate here and the hustings for the Conservative leadership... Well, sure maybe the US networks do it better, but it seems to me they just have better candidates in the debates. I'm jealous of US politics right now and I can't remember the last time I felt like that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

None of the government's in the 1970s were great, it took Thatcher and Major to reduce inflation, Thatcher to take union power and Thatcher to save the country from bankruptcy and raise GDP per capita
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

That's not true. Skillful politicians put the best possible spin on reality and marshall the facts in order to support their arguments. Only rubbish politicians and compulsive liars tell complete untruths. It represents a coarsening of our politics and will lead to worse policies.
    My guess is that Johnson is completely innumerate. He did classics at Uni and then worked as a hack where he made up numbers. He is always very careless with anything quantitative which is a clear sign of innumeracy. Do we know what he got in his maths A level?
    That may be a new (and plausible) explanation for why he always fails to give the right answer when asked how many children he has.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Are there any seats non Tory seats the Brexit Party is NOT standing in that if they did would hurt the tories more?

Bristol North West looks to be one. Any others?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited November 2019

Alistair said:

As I was born at the end of the 70s am I right in thinking the SNP helped oust a Labour government and ushered in Thatcher and eighteen years of Tory rule?
    They showed tremendous prescience in installing the midwife of Scottish independence.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    According to CBS over the last week Warren leads New Hampshire and Biden and Warren lead Iowa

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_pubOi7tGP9BOHHNbNj3XLtMXxOUheSd/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13afQpotpd1MwwjjjoegtFv-tRtQ6tQbO/view
  • Options
    Alex Salmond charged with offences against 10 different women.

14 sexual charges altogether
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

100% agreed.

I was at a meeting yesterday where there was an appetite expressed to bring billions into this country for projects.

"It's easier to raise a few billion than a few million for projects in this country."
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Not great news for the SNP in the middle of an election campaign
  • Options

DavidL said:

I dont know, perhaps the self respect that can come from being honest, accountable and decent might be more important to some than others.
    Wow, just wow. You’ll be telling us next that Spurs should keep playing fast, exciting football even if they lose too many games as a result. No doubt “park the bus” Mourinho will give that careful consideration.
  • Options

Alistair said:

It showed tremendous prescience in installing the midwife of Scottish independence.
    Scotland voted to stay in the UK and reject independence in 2014 after Thatcher
  • Options
    Roger said:

From the BBC

Charlie Kennedy was crucified for getting his sums wrong but we later learnt he had a drink problem. Johnson had no such excuse. he's just a bare-faced liar and everyone knows it. Is he worse han Trump? I wouldn't like to have to judge but the similarities don't end there.
    Same view of Corbyn's lies on the NHS?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

DavidL said:

100% agreed.

I remember listening to an interview recently talking about Brexit saying that whilst money will almost always flow in in that sector, the workforce is highly dependent on foreign workers, and many businesses are seeing their staff going home / going to the EU.

Also, this article from only a few weeks ago explains the likely impact

https://www.itpro.co.uk/technology/34531/how-bad-will-brexit-be-for-tech
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    edited November 2019
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Wow, just wow. You’ll be telling us next that Spurs should keep playing fast, exciting football even if they lose too many games as a result. No doubt “park the bus” Mourinho will give that careful consideration.
    Yes if I was a Spurs fan I would prefer fast attacking football to Mourinho! Their football in 2019 has not been particularly fast and attacking though, part of the reason for the sacking. If the football was good and the results had been unlucky Pochettino probably would have got longer.
  • Options

Wow.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

None of the government's in the 1970s were great, it took Thatcher and Major to reduce inflation, Thatcher to take union power and Thatcher to save the country from bankruptcy and raise GDP per capita
    Q. Under which British pm was the £ most devalued by inflation?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Court case to be heard over a month from March including attempted rape in Bute House
  • Options
    News order:

Salmond
    Prince Andrew

Labour Manifesto launch
  • Options

In sex cases prosecutors talk of the power of 3. If you have 3 complainers alleging similar conduct then even if one of them proves to be a bit suspect juries convict. 10 ? Jeez.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Under which PM was the highest ever UK inflation recorded?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    HYUFD said:

Did Nicola know?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On the US race, this is still Biden's to lose. His biggest strength isn't momentum - it's that there is no one else in the "big 4" that is anywhere near on the black vote.

Biden

Gap

Warren

Fresh air

Sanders
    Buttigieg

30 furlongs

Klobuchar/Harris

No chance

Yang/Bloomberg

right now.

What about Hillary?
  • Options
    148grss said:

DavidL said:

100% agreed.

I remember listening to an interview recently talking about Brexit saying that whilst money will almost always flow in in that sector, the workforce is highly dependent on foreign workers, and many businesses are seeing their staff going home / going to the EU.

Also, this article from only a few weeks ago explains the likely impact

https://www.itpro.co.uk/technology/34531/how-bad-will-brexit-be-for-tech
    Considering the majority of immigrants come from outside the EU . . . considering that 93% of the world's population is outside the EU . . . and considering the EU27 have a grand total of ZERO of the Top 50 Universities in the entire world . . . why would foreign workers be dependent upon free movement with Europe?
  • Options

Wow.
    For some ugly men power (be it in business or politics) is about using it as a chance to “influence” women they’d previously never have had a chance with to shag them.

Yuk.
  • Options
    Salmond:

"He denies all the allegations, which include one attempted rape, one intent to rape, 10 sexual assaults and two indecent assaults.

The offences are alleged to have happened between June 2008 and November 2014.

His QC, Gordon Jackson, indicated that Mr Salmond will plead not guilty, and judge Lady Dorrian set the trial date for 9 March next year. The trial is expected to last about four weeks."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50486713

That is some serious jail time if found guilty.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Sensible to let labour and lib dems put their manifesto in the public domain first.

There's just no upside for the Tories in putting their manifesto in the public domain early, thus allowing the opposition parties more time to deliberately mischaracterise selected policies.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Wilson in 1975

https://www.icalculator.info/inflation/historical-inflation-rates.html
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

100% agreed.

I was at a meeting yesterday where there was an appetite expressed to bring billions into this country for projects.

"It's easier to raise a few billion than a few million for projects in this country."
    It’s the advantage of London and our immensely strong financial markets. Nowhere else in the EU has anything like the available capital looking for projects.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Are there any seats non Tory seats the Brexit Party is NOT standing in that if they did would hurt the tories more?

Bristol North West looks to be one. Any others?

Dudley North.
  • Options
    The descriptions of Salmonds offences are unbelievable including attempted rape in Bute house and offences in Stirling Castle, all when he was First Minister
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    So the Labour manifesto is drowned out by Salmond and a row over exactly how much the Tories will cut your taxes by, while the Tory manifesto will leverage the Sunday papers and political shows?

Yeah someone knows what they are doing, and Labour is just unlucky.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes if I was a Spurs fan I would prefer fast attacking football to Mourinho! Their football in 2019 has not been particularly fast and attacking though, part of the reason for the sacking. If the football was good and the results had been unlucky Pochettino probably would have got longer.
    Spurs deserve what they get. I would have suggested Pulis. Until Daniel Levy goes they are tainted by a man who starves his managers of funds and takes all transfer decisions - whilst blaming the manager for the consequences. And that ignores his renowned tapping up of other clubs players, and making public statements about offers which bear as much relation to reality as a Boris (or Jezza) economic plan.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

There's just no upside for the Tories in putting their manifesto in the public domain early, thus allowing the opposition parties more time to deliberately mischaracterise selected policies.
    Why is it in the interests of Labour to go before the Tories? In the future will we end up with a stand off and neither gets round to even giving us a manifesto?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Wilson in 1975

Fixing the Barber boom.
  • Options
    Salmonds case will take up the whole of March 2020
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited November 2019
    IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

Accurately describing the failure of a current policy is not in itself - without more - a good argument for doing the opposite.

At the risk of repeating myself, let’s get some evidence about the harm involved and then work out how best to minimise it in the most effective way. That may result in the policies you advocate but I marvel at the ability of people - and this is not aimed at you personally - to come up with such policies on the basis of relatively little or no scientific, medical, legal, criminal or other relevant knowledge in this area.

Not sure what your complaint is. If you are saying posters here are making it up as they go along - well, I certainly am, but we all have to get through life making decisions "on the basis of relatively little or no scientific, medical, legal, criminal or other relevant knowledge" because we can't all be experts at everything. This includes people like governments and MPs and judges. If you are saying there is insufficient research into cannabis out there, I am not sure what would satisfy you. There's tons. Governments are there to formulate and enact policies, not to set up Royal Commissions.
    Exactly. It's quite clear many asking for more info will never have enough, it's a very common delaying tactic. Theres been research and some places have legalised, if that research is wrong or the legalisation bad people need to say why, not hypocritically accuse others of leaping forward with little to no reasoning. Oh we need more info, no not that info.

It goes both ways and theres a lot of gut feeling thinking on it, which is fine for us all as you note, but the hypocritical presentation is one side is about science of it and others are not. Thats bollocks.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Spurs deserve what they get. I would have suggested Pulis. Until Daniel Levy goes they are tainted by a man who starves his managers of funds and takes all transfer decisions - whilst blaming the manager for the consequences. And that ignores his renowned tapping up of other clubs players, and making public statements about offers which bear as much relation to reality as a Boris (or Jezza) economic plan.
    Eddie Howe would have been a good fit. Left field would be Chris Wilder, a bigger jump up but tactically he has been exceptionally successful over a few seasons now.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,443
    "‘Data scientists’ are gradually replacing those grand ‘pollsters’ who used to offer confident insights with a neat turn of phrase. These new number nerds are likely to be under 30 and might well know nothing about politics. Instead of simple surveys and uniform national swings, they are using complex statistical models. For people whose bread and butter relies on being seen as a savvy political ‘expert’, all this amounts to an existential threat.

The most powerful data modelling technique in politics at the moment, is something called MRP. It stands for “multilevel regression with post-stratification” — not exactly catchy — and the number of people who fully understand it in the UK can be counted on two hands."

https://unherd.com/2019/11/unherd-britain-mapping-the-issues-that-matter/
  • Options

Errr Tony Blair.. brilliant politician who lied whilst smiling
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The point I was making (despite the bruises of M’s time at OT which was deeply depressing) is that the object is to win. To date the Tory campaign looks ruthlessly focused on that in a way it never did in 2017.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Roger said:

From the BBC

So, in 2017 the Labour manifesto promised to end future tuition fees, and made a vague commitment to look at what could be done with existing debt. Labour PPCs and campaigners went straight off to start telling students and recent graduates that a Labour government would cancel all debt ab initio. Subsequent to the election, they admitted this wasn't achievable.

Is that better, worse, or about the same? What about if they try the same sort of trick this time round?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

But apparantly less so than 2017 where London outpaced all our competitors by quite a margin. We'll just have to see what damage Brexit does.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Wilson in 1975

Fair cop - I'd forgotten about that one! ...I was thinking of 22% it reached in 1980.

(Looks for egg-on-face emoji)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

Pulpstar said:

Biden

Gap

Warren

Fresh air

Sanders
    Buttigieg

30 furlongs

Klobuchar/Harris

No chance

Yang/Bloomberg

right now.

What about Hillary?
    Alternate universe.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838

The descriptions of Salmonds offences are unbelievable including attempted rape in Bute house and offences in Stirling Castle, all when he was First Minister

Wow, wasn't expecting that. 10 different women.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The point I was making (despite the bruises of M’s time at OT which was deeply depressing) is that the object is to win. To date the Tory campaign looks ruthlessly focused on that in a way it never did in 2017.
    I know. And the point I am making is that winning should be about more than a personal ambition to be PM or to win. It should be about a coherent and deliverable plan to make the country a better place.
  • Options
    Jo Boden
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Wilson in 1975

Under the great inflation reducer, £10 in 1979 would cost £22.26 in 1990. No competition.

https://tinyurl.com/y85wtgs5
  • Options

I don't think Blair lied that much about anything. Maybe the Ecclestone thing? I believe that he genuinely thought there were WMD in Iraq (even though personally I was sceptical at the time and opposed the Iraq war). I would actually say that in terms of confronting the electorate with uncomfortable facts Blair was more straightforward than a lot of politicians.
  • Options

If the allegations prove to be true, it seems hard to believe that Nicola would not have been aware of his behaviour.
  • Options

From the BBC

But Johnson DID say it was £500 per year each year
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Wow, wasn't expecting that. 10 different women.
    The charges are horrific, absolutely shocking.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

I don't think Blair lied that much about anything. Maybe the Ecclestone thing? I believe that he genuinely thought there were WMD in Iraq (even though personally I was sceptical at the time and opposed the Iraq war). I would actually say that in terms of confronting the electorate with uncomfortable facts Blair was more straightforward than a lot of politicians.
    Well you would say that wouldn't you....
  • Options

Endillion said:

Why is it in the interests of Labour to go before the Tories? In the future will we end up with a stand off and neither gets round to even giving us a manifesto?
    There's probably a game theory solution to that. At some point, first mover advantage kicks in. It's about being able to get your messages across without having them wantonly distorted by the media, and your opponents social media dark arts experts.

Parties getting more disciplined at driving the message home would also be helpful. hence the pre-leaking of the key commitments, and possibly the Tories are releasing on Sunday to help candidates who still have other jobs (or family commitments) be more able to get their arguments together.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

If the allegations prove to be true, it seems hard to believe that Nicola would not have been aware of his behaviour.
    I know it's an obvious statement but with 10 different accusers it's got to be highly unlikely that none of them are true.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited November 2019
    Now we know Salmond is going to be the main news story today - is it likely that the General Election is going to be on the front page of any paper before I receive my postal vote? Supposedly I will receive it on Monday.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    I like the way you managed to get Biden's name wrong, Mike. :smile:

Pretty well deserved after his debate performance.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/471440-as-buttigieg-rises-biden-is-still-the-target
    ..."We should build on ObamaCare, provide the plan I put forward before anybody in here, adding a Medicare option in that plan and not make people choose. Allow people to choose, I should say," Biden said, hitting plans from Sanders and Warren to expand Medicaid to all Americans.

Later, he claimed to have been endorsed by the "only" African American woman ever elected to the United States Senate — while standing several podiums away from the second African American woman elected to the United States Senate...
  • Options
    eek said:

I know it's an obvious statement but with 10 different accusers it's got to be highly unlikely that none of them are true.
    I agree. But due process and all that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

FPT

Cyclefree said:

Speaking personally I would legalise both the strong and weak stuff and sell it through legal mechanisms and not gangs. And let HMRC join the fight against any illegal, unregulated and untaxed sales.

Lets compare with alcohol. I don't know any alcoholics who abuse low strength beer, though that may be what they started drinking. It is high strength drinks, sometimes beer or wine but most especially spirits which are the biggest problem. But we don't criminalise spirits - and we offer education and health services to those who struggle.

I don't see anyone arguing to legalise because it did them no harm, I see arguments to legalise because prohibition has failed miserably and is leading to drug gangs.

We have evidence from hundreds of countries across the globe and a hundred years of history of what is and what is not working.

What "harm involved" are you talking about? And are you just restricting to the side effects of the cannabis itself? Or are you including in "harm involved" the stabbings and other fatal and non-fatal gang violence that prohibition is causing both now and has caused historically?

We have been debating this issue now for decades, we don't have relatively little or no knowledge in this area.
    Its the presenting a fixed opinion as potentially changeable when it clearly is not. It is very telling that someone I personally find exceedingly reasonable and extremely persuasive even on matters which I disagree with them about is so unconvincing on this issue, and it's because the argument about wanting more information is equivalent to that of a NIMBY. Its clearly not the main objection, but it's the 'reasonable' fallback.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

In sex cases prosecutors talk of the power of 3. If you have 3 complainers alleging similar conduct then even if one of them proves to be a bit suspect juries convict. 10 ? Jeez.
    10 is also a lot of women to put through the ordeal of giving evidence against a powerful man with expensive lawyers. If Salmond knows he is guilty of at least some of these charges, pleading not guilty to them is a despicable thing to inflict.
This discussion has been closed.