Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Buttigieg now nine points clear in Iowa

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

Andy_JS said:
    Interesting Bristol NW is the one Barnesian and I were crunching the numbers on back and forth yesterday and came to the same conclusion.
    If Labour are under pressure there, they’re in big trouble. Not only is it a bellwether, but it suggests that the higher turnout that rescued them last time isn’t going to be there this time.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Alistair said:

SNP starting to talk up their chances in East Dunbartonshire. Surely that is unwise?

Or perhaps they have listened to Swinson
  • Options

nunu2 said:

SunnyJim said:
    Just a hunch but i'm guessing Survation just fell out of favour with the keyboard Corbynistas.
    Wow.

I was waiting for Survation......

As I said the leave north is going Tory.
    This website overreacts to any move or trend either way.

So chill.

A reasonable Tory majority is currently looking likely. But a lot can change in 3 weeks.
    3 weeks ? It’s only 23 days now until polls open.

It’s three weeks until the final 72 hours of the campaign. You can add those extra 3 days in if you really like.

My point is a lot can change in a short time very quickly, and not a single vote has been cast yet.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    News for @Cyclefree ...

“Countries that consume the most chocolate per head have the highest numbers of Nobel laureates per capita, according to a study by medical researchers at Columbia University....”
    http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201911180023.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

eristdoof said:

The recent trend has been for ex-PMs to leave the HoC at the next GE, if not before. Assuming Mrs May keeps her seat she will be bucking this trend. Before Mrs T, this seemed to be the norm with Callaghan, Wilson and Heath all reelected after having been PM.

For everything that can be said of Mrs May, she does genuinely care about public service, and representing the people of Maidenhead.

For all his many faults, Gordon Brown stood in 2015 too, although he was overcome by the SNP wave at that election.
    No he didn’t. The Labour candidate was Kenny Selbie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkcaldy_and_Cowdenbeath_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    Damn, you're right, and too late to edit now. Why did I think he did stand?
    I think we would have remembered "Were you up for Brown?"
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

the various different plans came together at the end.

Not sure Vettel and Leclerc would described it quite like that!
    I think that's the first time I ever remember two Ferraris taking each other out, although they both got involved in a big one on the first lap in Singapore a couple of years ago. Rule number one of motorsport - don't crash into your team mate!
    But not Vettel’s first waltz with a teammate....
    Indeed, as Mark Webber will testify.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    SunnyJim said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tories almost automatically getting a 5% swing from BRX in this Survation poll due to Farage's party only standing in 274 seats, but interesting that they also seem to have taken some support from the LDs as well.

This must be a horrible election for southern remainers.

Brexit or Corbyn.
    The forthcoming YouGov had questions aimed directly at that.

Meanwhile the shock when voters discover that far from being sorted, the Tories will start bickering over it again, will be something to behold.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

SNP starting to talk up their chances in East Dunbartonshire. Surely that is unwise?

That would be the crowning glory of a wretched campaign......
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'd like to point out that this is another big lead for the Tories after the idiot Corbynet announcement. And interestingly winning points back from the Lib Dems as well, which makes sense as this is exactly the type of policy which will put the fear of Jez into Tories thinking of voting for them and accidentally letting Jez become PM.

Labour has lost all credibility and they won't have it back until the current leadership are summarily dumped and replaced with anyone that has more than three brain cells.

A harsh narrowing of the field, there.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

I think even that has built into it an assumption that Labour will be able to repeat their 2017 trick of getting many young traditional non voters to the polls on the day. For all its bizarre irrationality and fantasy elements there was an undoubted buzz about Corbyn in 2017 that I am just not seeing this time. He looks older and tired. Without the unexpected turnout trick I think the Tory majority heads nearer 100.

Corbyn really needs to smash it out the park tomorrow night and get his campaign rolling again. There will be a temptation on the part of the media to talk up his performance and the horse race aspect but it is energy on the ground that he needs.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, I was really surprised a full safety car was deemed necessary.

I think that was more about trying to make things exciting at the end rather than safety.

"Is that technical support? I can't get my F1 race interesting any more...."

"Have you tried turning the race off and on again?"
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

SunnyJim said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tories almost automatically getting a 5% swing from BRX in this Survation poll due to Farage's party only standing in 274 seats, but interesting that they also seem to have taken some support from the LDs as well.

Brexit or Corbyn.

Meanwhile the shock when voters discover that far from being sorted, the Tories will start bickering over it again, will be something to behold.
    Unlikely IMO unless there's only a narrow victory.

A healthy majority would be the Tories first really healthy majority in decades (2015 was an unexpected majority but just a slim one). Combined with the PM having been the face of Brexit and the most irreconcilable bastards of 2019 being out of the party now ... I think Johnson if he has the numbers will have more than enough political capital to get his deal through, negotiate an FTA and get that through.

I think the FTA if Britain has a stable government will be less complicated than people think. The Europeans are fed up with Brexit too.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

I think even that has built into it an assumption that Labour will be able to repeat their 2017 trick of getting many young traditional non voters to the polls on the day. For all its bizarre irrationality and fantasy elements there was an undoubted buzz about Corbyn in 2017 that I am just not seeing this time. He looks older and tired. Without the unexpected turnout trick I think the Tory majority heads nearer 100.

Corbyn really needs to smash it out the park tomorrow night and get his campaign rolling again. There will be a temptation on the part of the media to talk up his performance and the horse race aspect but it is energy on the ground that he needs.
    Alternatively, if Corbyn is below par, then Boris is going to, er, romp home and - the only story will be piling on to Crap Corbyn.

If the story of 2017 was the apathetic young getting enthused by Corbyn, I wonder if the story of 2019 will be the never-before-Tories getting enthused by Boris?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

Revoke East Dunbartonshire would be hilarious.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

Alternatively, if Corbyn is below par, then Boris is going to, er, romp home and - the only story will be piling on to Crap Corbyn.

If the story of 2017 was the apathetic young getting enthused by Corbyn, I wonder if the story of 2019 will be the never-before-Tories getting enthused by Boris?
    I keep saying that I am not particularly a Boris fan (morals and lack of discipline mainly) but he has always been able to reach parts of the electorate that other Tories couldn't (Ruth apart).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    murali_s said:

Polls say it all at the moment.

It's now a question of how large the majority is going to be.

Progressive politics in the country needs a reset. The right / hard-right are cruising!

The UK is going to pay a huge price and it will unravel very fast. You have been warned.

Buck up, its been a good week for the Tories but theres a long way to go.
  • Options
    Given the huge lead and the inevitability of victory Johnson’s decision to dig an ever deeper hole for himself on the FTA is bizarre. The dog whistling xenophobia on EU immigration is also highly regrettable, but par for the Tory course, I guess.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

I keep saying that I am not particularly a Boris fan (morals and lack of discipline mainly) but he has always been able to reach parts of the electorate that other Tories couldn't (Ruth apart).
    Boris is clearly Marmite. He provokes reactions. They are not always positive -especially amongst ladies of a cetain age. But you do also hear great enthusiasm - "Boris is the best thing that has happened to politics since Maggie!" More intriguing is the often heard comment "Boris makes me laugh...." And it is generally "with", but I'm sure there must be some "ats" too...

Either way, nobody laughs at Corbyn..... "That joke isn't funny any more. It's too close to home, too near the bone...."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Given the huge lead and the inevitability of victory Johnson’s decision to dig an ever deeper hole for himself on the FTA is bizarre. The dog whistling xenophobia on EU immigration is also highly regrettable, but par for the Tory course, I guess.

It's treating all migrants equally.
  • Options

What dog whistling?

This has been the most honest and liberal campaign on migration in at least a decade. No more talk of slashing numbers to the tens of thousands.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

nunu2 said:

SunnyJim said:
    Just a hunch but i'm guessing Survation just fell out of favour with the keyboard Corbynistas.
    Wow.

So chill.

A reasonable Tory majority is currently looking likely. But a lot can change in 3 weeks.
    3 weeks ? It’s only 23 days now until polls open.

And 8 days to postal voting commencing
    Also eight days to register.
    https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
    Postal votes going out on Friday in my area
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited November 2019
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

Boris is the only Tory I think who could win a majority at the moment.

See too the data below

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1196145937028128769?s=20

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1196147262411431937?s=20
  • Options
    Pretty poor interview with Leadsom on R4.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

eristdoof said:

The recent trend has been for ex-PMs to leave the HoC at the next GE, if not before. Assuming Mrs May keeps her seat she will be bucking this trend. Before Mrs T, this seemed to be the norm with Callaghan, Wilson and Heath all reelected after having been PM.

For everything that can be said of Mrs May, she does genuinely care about public service, and representing the people of Maidenhead.

For all his many faults, Gordon Brown stood in 2015 too, although he was overcome by the SNP wave at that election.
    No he didn’t. The Labour candidate was Kenny Selbie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkcaldy_and_Cowdenbeath_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    Damn, you're right, and too late to edit now. Why did I think he did stand?
    He remained an active and hardworking backbench constituency MP. So in a sense you were right. But he made the decision not to stand in 2015 quite well in advance - I think even before the 2014 referendum.
    Brown announced he was standing down in December six months before the election. Those of a cynical disposition say it was because he knew he would lose.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

I'd like to point out that this is another big lead for the Tories after the idiot Corbynet announcement. And interestingly winning points back from the Lib Dems as well, which makes sense as this is exactly the type of policy which will put the fear of Jez into Tories thinking of voting for them and accidentally letting Jez become PM.

Labour has lost all credibility and they won't have it back until the current leadership are summarily dumped and replaced with anyone that has more than three brain cells.

The reaction of Labour members to the defeat will be to blame everyone but themselves, to double down and either stick with Corbyn or tack further to the left. As we have seen from Nick Palmer and other Corbyn cultists on here for the last few years, the comfort zone is immensely beguiling.

• Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

No, it's based on our vote becoming less efficient because of the BP withdrawing from however many marginal seats and all currently held Con ones. Additionally, we may build up big vote share in some northern towns and not see any kind of real breakthrough in terms of seats.
  • Options
    VW makes a car called the e-up! Who knew? Is it selling well in Yorks?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

What low level of Labour MP's would force Jezza to resign?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Indeed - like shit. The implication that EU citizens living in the UK do not currently pay taxes and contribute to the funding of the NHS is despicable. But par for the course.

• Options
    Mr. Mark, the race was shaping up pretty nicely anyway.

Mr. B, true, but Vettel's far from alone in that. Hamilton and Rosberg collided at Belgium and Spain in 2016, I think (certainly that year for the latter), and I believe Damon Hill, whilst leading for Jordan but being caught by team mate Ralf Schumacher, essentially told the team that if his team mate tried to pass him there would be a massive crash.
  • Options

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

Any number that means Boris is PM. I think the real question is what level would force the party membership to not pick a corbynite as his replacement.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:
    So even Gold Standard Survation now has the Tories lead at 1983 landslide levels
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Arthur said:

I'm watching the ITV film about Jennifer Arcuri and Boris Johnson. She's quite a character. There's been no mention yet that at the time he was in a relationship with this "highly persuasive" foreigner, he was not only Mayor of London but also attending Cabinet meetings... So the relationship would have been vetted, right?

It's a shame that Boris wasn't attended to by the vet.
  • Options
    Also, what level of mps sees boris resign?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Indeed - like shit. The implication that EU citizens living in the UK do not currently pay taxes and contribute to the funding of the NHS is despicable. But par for the course.

So what controls would you apply?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

The reaction of Labour members to the defeat will be to blame everyone but themselves, to double down and either stick with Corbyn or tack further to the left. As we have seen from Nick Palmer and other Corbyn cultists on here for the last few years, the comfort zone is immensely beguiling.

Then the LDs overtaking Labour in 5 to 10 years is inevitable if Labour are trounced in the election and do not move back to the centre, with ex Labour Chuka Umunna or Luciana Berger perhaps leading the way for the LDs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anything that is lower than 326.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    nunu2 said:

camel said:

Survation: on normal weightings, undecideds split 49:124 male:female.

Make of that what you will.

Labour's polling for males is half that of the Cons. 18.3% : 39.7%
    Labour's polling for females is on par. 24.5% : 25.0 %

I think the undecideds, should they make up their mind, will add a little to the Labour polling here.

If you want to know which side is losing, check out who is trying to "un-skew" the polls.
    I'm afraid I have no skin in that particular game.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

Boris is clearly Marmite. He provokes reactions. They are not always positive -especially amongst ladies of a cetain age. But you do also hear great enthusiasm - "Boris is the best thing that has happened to politics since Maggie!" More intriguing is the often heard comment "Boris makes me laugh...." And it is generally "with", but I'm sure there must be some "ats" too...

Either way, nobody laughs at Corbyn..... "That joke isn't funny any more. It's too close to home, too near the bone...."
    Boris is a bit Marmite but he is the only politician around who can genuinely make people laugh at something funny he says or does and cheer people up.

Its a pretty compelling proposition against the labour "everything is terrible " message.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

Any number that means Boris is PM. I think the real question is what level would force the party membership to not pick a corbynite as his replacement.
    Indeed. If the lesson Labour learn from crushing defeat is to pick a remainer version of Jez then they will be out of power for another cycle taking us to potentially 2029 before they are in with a shot of power.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    IanB2 said:

VW makes a car called the e-up! Who knew? Is it selling well in Yorks?

I believe Toyota MR2 sales in France were always a little tricky.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Insinuating EU citizens living in the UK do not contribute to the funding of the NHS is not about controls, it is about dog whistling. But if it were down to me I would continue with reciprocity. It serves us very well. Without it, there will be far more elderly people requiring NHS treatment than is currently the case.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Then the LDs overtaking Labour in 5 to 10 years is inevitable if Labour are trounced in the election and do not move back to the centre, with ex Labour Chuka Umunna or Luciana Berger perhaps leading the way for the LDs.
    Chuka and Luciana probably won't be MPs.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Anything that is lower than 326.
    Nah, he'd hang on with 320-odd.

Although I think your Nowcast is pretty much spot-on. A Conservative majority of 80-odd, with Labour sub-200 and the LDs in the mid-20s.

The longer-term danger is (simply) that I don't think Boris Johnson is cut out for the job of PM. I think he'll always choose the easy way out, over dealing with deeper problems. It will always be easier to cut taxes and increase spending, rather than to make hard decisions.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

News for @Cyclefree ...

“Countries that consume the most chocolate per head have the highest numbers of Nobel laureates per capita, according to a study by medical researchers at Columbia University....”

Another classic example of correlation, not causality. On this basis sexual promiscuity causes people to be elected as MPs (and may suggest that Boris will end up as Emperor of the Universe).
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Insinuating EU citizens living in the UK do not contribute to the funding of the NHS is not about controls, it is about dog whistling. But if it were down to me I would continue with reciprocity. It serves us very well. Without it, there will be far more elderly people requiring NHS treatment than is currently the case.

So no controls for some and treating migrants differently depending on which country they come from? Tell, me who is the xenophobe?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

If theres one thing proven recently its that LDs overtaking labour is very far from inevitable even with good conditions.
  • Options
    It’s very sweet that some people are getting excited about the Arcuri affair or Russian funding as possible threats to Johnson’s premiership. What they fail to understand is that such is his privilege he can lie, lie and lie again, and get away with it. Like Prince Andrew and other members of the gilded elite he will never be held to account for his actions.
  • Options
    High Court to rule today on whether Swinson and Corbyn must be included in first TV debate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50450902
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Nigelb said:

News for @Cyclefree ...

Another classic example of correlation, not causality. On this basis sexual promiscuity causes people to be elected as MPs (and may suggest that Boris will end up as Emperor of the Universe).
    Boris, Trump, Berlusconi -- you may have hit upon something there!
  • Options

It’s very sweet that some people are getting excited about the Arcuri affair or Russian funding as possible threats to Johnson’s premiership. What they fail to understand is that such is his privilege he can lie, lie and lie again, and get away with it. Like Prince Andrew and other members of the gilded elite he will never be held to account for his actions.

You omitted to mention any Labour leaders in your list of dissemblers....
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Nigelb said:

News for @Cyclefree ...

I suspect that sexual promiscuity is a definite advantage in seeking high political office.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

If theres one thing proven recently its that LDs overtaking labour is very far from inevitable even with good conditions.
    If not then thanks to FPTP the Tories can hope to be in office at least another decade if Labour stick with its hard left leadership
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    edited November 2019
    Right now, I wouldn’t want to predict Tory seats any more accurately than between 290 to 410.

Helpful, I know.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Nigelb said:

News for @Cyclefree ...

See, Jim Hacker at least was able to get the shagger candidate to stand down.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Both are now the Tories main challengers based on constituency polls, certainly Luciana
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Both are now the Tories main challengers based on constituency polls, certainly Luciana
    Yes, but I don't think they will win. We did the Ashcroft constituency polls to death in 2015 and the national swing proved to be a much bigger wave than anything happening locally.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Two friends of mine in Golders Green (Conservative, apolitical, Leavers, but definitely soft-Leavers) have just told me they're voting for Luciana. (This is a single anecdote, as they're husband and wife.)

No particular reason, but they hate Corbyn, and she seems "like a nice lass".

Which just goes to show, voters are a strange bunch.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

So no controls for some and treating migrants differently depending on which country they come from? Tell, me who is the xenophobe?

Treating people differently based on reciprocity is not xenophobic, Max.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

alb1on said:

Nigelb said:

News for @Cyclefree ...

I suspect that sexual promiscuity is a definite advantage in seeking high political office.
    Blair was accused of it with some sort of tarot card lady iirc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

High Court to rule today on whether Swinson and Corbyn must be included in first TV debate

As not a lawyer it seems like if they are required to be given time theres no reason the broadcasters have to make it the same programme.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

See too the data below

This isn’t really remarkable at all. Most Conservative voters by definition live in Conservative seats, and there is now no Brexit candidate for them to vote for.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

Yep, if Jezza doesn't get to be PM on the 13, or very soon after, he's off.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, but I don't think they will win. We did the Ashcroft constituency polls to death in 2015 and the national swing proved to be a much bigger wave than anything happening locally.
    UNS will almost certainly get seat numbers approximately right. Where the seats fall will be another matter. I would be surprised if either Chuka or Luciana were MPs after the election. (Not staggered, which is a 10% chance or less, but surprised, which is about 25-35% chance.)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cough, cough. :blush:

May I just mention that I blew the trumpet on here for Buttigieg many months ago following a rave review of his embryonic chances from Axelrod?

110/1 at the time.

Ahem ........ Not just you, you know. Cyclefree Junior put me onto him at around the same time. :)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

As not a lawyer it seems like if they are required to be given time theres no reason the broadcasters have to make it the same programme.
    Also as not a lawyer, I'd predict that if they were included, Boris would use it as an excuse to drop out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SunnyJim said:
    So even Gold Standard Survation now has the Tories lead at 1983 landslide levels
    My model using the latest Survation poll gives the Tories a majority of over 60.
  • Options

My assumption is that Johnson will be PM. See the first sentence.

• Options

A list of one politician and one prince but in the interests of balance, there was Tony Bliar.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The test is balance. Balance is measured on at least two factors - crudely, quantity and quality. The former can be satisfied by exposure on different programmes. The latter is less likely to be met in this way. But before you get to that point there is the issue of who is entitled to balance? It cannot apply to all as that would bring in the fringe parties. So a real question for the courts is where you draw the line.

Clearly the SNP and LDs can make different cases. The LDs have to show that balance requires their inclusion in the test nationally. The SNP can make a case specific to Scotland and could argue that any 2 man debate must not be shown in Scotland as a solution.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

News for @Cyclefree ...

Jacob Rees-Mogg is parliament's leading chocoholic, reportedly addicted to Creme Eggs, and chocolate soufflés at Claridges.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

I don't think those posts reflect well on either of you as human beings.

Equally I would like to see Corbyn and Boris lose their seats, it is a competition after all, but I would have sympathy for either of them if they did. I don't gloat when my side wins in a competition, but rejoice my side won and commiserate with the loser. When Stephen Twigg beat Michael Portillo (neither of whose political views I support) I was really chuffed for Twigg and felt sorry for Portillo.

It is not a pleasant characteristic to enjoy someone's misfortune.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, surely Corbyn *is* in the first debate?

Also, chocolate is delicious.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

Yep, if Jezza doesn't get to be PM on the 13, or very soon after, he's off.
    Even if he does, I think. Corbyn has reportedly wanted to step down for some time. He is also getting on a bit. I doubt he'd serve a full term.
  • Options
    One thing I've noticed over the last couple of weeks is a huge amount of political advertising on facebook from fake "grassroots" organisations attacking Corbyn/Labour on specific policies - pretty much all of them. A few thoughts about that..

(1) I've not seen anything from Labour and the modest number of Lib Dem adverts I was seeing in October have evaporated. Is this one reason why the Tories are doing better in the polls than a superficial reading of the media campaign would suggest? If the Tories are out-spending by a large margin on facebook then you would think it would have an effect.

(2) None of these ads say that they are funded by the Conservative Party, but I assume that they must be in some way. This is really useful for the Tories, particularly on an issue like private schooling where they can have a proxy criticise the policy without having to be seen to be defending privilege directly. It's also useful because a page calling itself "Parents4Education" or "Working4UK" will automatically be trusted more than "politicians". This also seems like a massive hole in electoral law given the requirements there are to declare allegiance on paper leaflets.

(3) Some of the ads have been targeted at me as a resident of a specific area - not perhaps quite at the constituency level, but close. How should that work in terms of the different spending limits for national/constituency campaigns? The Tories were in trouble for this sort of thing in a different way in 2015, are we seeing a repeat in 2019?

I really don't think we should be allowing advertising by fake advocacy groups - pages created on October 29th is a dead giveaway. Any political advertising should be clear about who is funding it, and parties should not be allowed to funnel spending through front organisations in a way that misleads the voters.

I think we have a real problem here.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Whoever is putting them out, my wish in this election is that those using these wilfully distorted bar charts on their election material would receive just one vote.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Pulpstar said:

I wonder if some Lib Dem voters having mentally ceeded that a Tory majority IS happening are heading to the Tories on the basis that a big majority for Johnson likely leads to a softer Brexit than a small one.

If Boris gets a big enough majority he will, without pause, betray the ERG the way he did the DUP and do BINO, if that. He was never really that into Brexit anyway beyond using it as a vehicle for his own advancement.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    A very angry ex Labour member (resigned a month ago after being a member for 30 years) asked me what the fuck Len McClusky was doing making Labour policy? I had to admit that I didn't know he was.

The game is up. For those who want to keep their burgundy passports time to look for pastures new. For those happy to remain in Great Hartlepool good luck.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Roger said:

A very angry ex Labour member (resigned a month ago after being a member for 30 years) asked me what the fuck Len McClusky was doing making Labour policy? I had to admit that I didn't know he was.

The game is up. For those who want to keep their burgundy passports time to look for pastures new. For those happy to remain in Great Hartlepool good luck.

Stop slagging off Hartlepool. It's the Lucerne of the North.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1455635/Two-women-bloodied-fight-Brexit-UKIP-campaign.html
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

I wonder if some Lib Dem voters having mentally ceeded that a Tory majority IS happening are heading to the Tories on the basis that a big majority for Johnson likely leads to a softer Brexit than a small one.

If Boris gets a big enough majority he will, without pause, betray the ERG the way he did the DUP and do BINO, if that. He was never really that into Brexit anyway beyond using it as a vehicle for his own advancement.
    I disagree with this view. If the Tories get a big majority, as seems likely, it will be on the back of Leave voters whose only real allegiance to the Tories is over Brexit. Johnson's electoral coalition will demand a 'proper' Brexit. The big parliamentary majority will be used to push through deregulation, tax cuts and a US trade deal, not to crush the ERG.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Is Corbyn trying to get out?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    edited November 2019
    Roger said:

Some recent Labour announcements seem almost calculated to lose votes. You have to wonder if some of these public school millionaires are secret Tories.
  • Options

nunu2 said:

SunnyJim said:
    Wow.

So chill.

Labour promising to abolish all student debt might change matters.

eristdoof said:

camel said:

Andy_JS said:

Like most other pollsters methodology has changed to reading out only candidates standing in the constituency.

The Tories almost automatically getting a 5% swing from the Brexit Party in this Survation poll due to Farage's party only standing in 274 seats, but interesting that they also seem to have taken some support from the LDs as well.
    The Lib Dems are having a terrible war so far. Seems even worse than 2017. At least then Farron was getting some tv exposure, perhaps not quite for the reason he hoped.
    I think for Jo Swinson to declare homosexuality to be a sin might be best described as 'the nuclear option'.

She needs something. Being outperformed 2:1 by the tories on the 18-34 vote isn't great. They also are performing abysmally on this poll in the north* (4.7% - eek!)

*The dangers of drilling down on polls acknowledged.
    Thumbs up to that last comment.
    What the LibDems need is a reason to vote LibDem. They had about a week to get their message across while Labour and Conservatives were saying nothing, and wasted it with incessant whining about the debates being unfair.
    The Lib Dems are campaigning as if this was a Euro election not a GE. Ed Davey would have been a better leader, I am starting to think. All this “Jo Swinson’s liberals” has a touch of May’s hubris. She has not yet earned the right to behave like that.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

SunnyJim said:

Andy_JS said:

Brexit or Corbyn.

Unlikely IMO unless there's only a narrow victory.

A healthy majority would be the Tories first really healthy majority in decades (2015 was an unexpected majority but just a slim one). Combined with the PM having been the face of Brexit and the most irreconcilable bastards of 2019 being out of the party now ... I think Johnson if he has the numbers will have more than enough political capital to get his deal through, negotiate an FTA and get that through.

I think the FTA if Britain has a stable government will be less complicated than people think. The Europeans are fed up with Brexit too.
    There is no way that a FTA will be negotiated in 12 months. No chance. Not happening.
  • Options

Roger said:

Some recent Labour announcements seem almost calculated to lose votes. You have to wonder if some of these public school millionaires are secret Tories.
    A lifetime of deep cover?

Slightly more likely is they don't undestand that their retail offer is shite.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Is Corbyn trying to get out?
    Sorry whether Swinson and Sturgeon must be included
  • Options

One thing I've noticed over the last couple of weeks is a huge amount of political advertising on facebook from fake "grassroots" organisations attacking Corbyn/Labour on specific policies - pretty much all of them. A few thoughts about that..

(1) I've not seen anything from Labour and the modest number of Lib Dem adverts I was seeing in October have evaporated. Is this one reason why the Tories are doing better in the polls than a superficial reading of the media campaign would suggest? If the Tories are out-spending by a large margin on facebook then you would think it would have an effect.

(2) None of these ads say that they are funded by the Conservative Party, but I assume that they must be in some way. This is really useful for the Tories, particularly on an issue like private schooling where they can have a proxy criticise the policy without having to be seen to be defending privilege directly. It's also useful because a page calling itself "Parents4Education" or "Working4UK" will automatically be trusted more than "politicians". This also seems like a massive hole in electoral law given the requirements there are to declare allegiance on paper leaflets.

(3) Some of the ads have been targeted at me as a resident of a specific area - not perhaps quite at the constituency level, but close. How should that work in terms of the different spending limits for national/constituency campaigns? The Tories were in trouble for this sort of thing in a different way in 2015, are we seeing a repeat in 2019?

I really don't think we should be allowing advertising by fake advocacy groups - pages created on October 29th is a dead giveaway. Any political advertising should be clear about who is funding it, and parties should not be allowed to funnel spending through front organisations in a way that misleads the voters.

Yes, it probably should be a scandal, and the Conservatives do have form. Already they have been caught not declaring Facebook adverts. Given CCHQ hired NZ consultants specifically for the social media campaign, an upsurge in activity is not surprising. Using fake advocacy groups does seem a step too far; is it CCHQ or the Russians?

Though last time, iirc, Labour was more Twitter than Facebook.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

Stop slagging off Hartlepool. It's the Lucerne of the North.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1455635/Two-women-bloodied-fight-Brexit-UKIP-campaign.html
    The Daily Mail has caught up with the Independent and now won't show me things unless I disengage my ad blocker.

Well sod that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

As for my nowcast:
    CON 364
    LAB 196 (inc speaker)
    SNP 43
    LD 25
    GRN 1
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con majority 78

See too the data below

This isn’t really remarkable at all. Most Conservative voters by definition live in Conservative seats, and there is now no Brexit candidate for them to vote for.
    The Tories were polling in 3rd after May extended, even before Farage pulled out in Tory seats the Tories were polling a clear first
  • Options
    edited November 2019

HYUFD said:

SunnyJim said:
    My model using the latest Survation poll gives the Tories a majority of over 60.
    Swing of 6% from Labour to the Tories with Survation today, swing of 3% from the Tories to the LDs.

On UNS that would see the Tories gain 58 Labour seats and the LDs gain just 3 Tory seats

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/liberal-democrat
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Nigelb said:

News for @Cyclefree ...

Yes - chocolate. Proper chocolate, that is. Dark - in bars, which you break off into pieces and eat slowly alongside an espresso coffee at the end of a good meal.

Not some disgusting sugary brown powder, laughably called “chocolate” and poured into a milky coffee. Not Cadbury’s crime (I meant to say “Creme” but “crime” is a wonderfully appropriate typo) eggs - which is just glutinous muck fit only for very young children and, apparently, Jacob Rees-Mogg.

The “Foresta” chocolate from this shop in Naples (https://gay-odin.it/categorie-html.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAn8nuBRCzARIsAJcdIfNd3v08qWfNUuYUOxPAYTGfIgEZj4erySemzk9KH3brwtZxq0N5sV0aAmwXEALw_wcB) is food fit for the Gods.

As are these - https://www.neuhauschocolates.com/en/assortment/orangette/. One way to my heart. Just saying..... :wink:
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree with this view. If the Tories get a big majority, as seems likely, it will be on the back of Leave voters whose only real allegiance to the Tories is over Brexit. Johnson's electoral coalition will demand a 'proper' Brexit. The big parliamentary majority will be used to push through deregulation, tax cuts and a US trade deal, not to crush the ERG.
    I disagree with that. I don't think the majority of Brexiteers are too bothered about the details, with the exception of FOM.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

News for @Cyclefree ...

Yes - chocolate. Proper chocolate, that is. Dark - in bars, which you break off into pieces and eat slowly alongside an espresso coffee at the end of a good meal.

Not some disgusting sugary brown powder, laughably called “chocolate” and poured into a milky coffee. Not Cadbury’s crime eggs - which is just glutinous muck fit only for very young children and, apparently, Jacob Rees-Mogg.

The “Foresta” chocolate from this shop in Naples (https://gay-odin.it/categorie-html.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAn8nuBRCzARIsAJcdIfNd3v08qWfNUuYUOxPAYTGfIgEZj4erySemzk9KH3brwtZxq0N5sV0aAmwXEALw_wcB) is food fit for the Gods.

As are these - https://www.neuhauschocolates.com/en/assortment/orangette/. One way to my heart. Just saying..... :wink:
    Charbonnel and Walker no longer sells chocolate orange peel by the box, just loose, so I've been forced to use Godiva.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    kjh said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

I don't think those posts reflect well on either of you as human beings.

Equally I would like to see Corbyn and Boris lose their seats, it is a competition after all, but I would have sympathy for either of them if they did. I don't gloat when my side wins in a competition, but rejoice my side won and commiserate with the loser. When Stephen Twigg beat Michael Portillo (neither of whose political views I support) I was really chuffed for Twigg and felt sorry for Portillo.

It is not a pleasant characteristic to enjoy someone's misfortune.
    I guess I am not being completely honest there in that I wouldn't criticise a similar comment about Trump, but I do think of him as a very unpleasant person and much as I might disagree with Corbyn and Boris I don't have that view about either of them as individuals.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

I think you are both wrong. He is a showman. He will want big picture government. This will mean passing his withdrawal agreement as is, holding no deal over the EU during FTA discussions (as before - it worked, or at least he can say it did) and getting on with domestic announcements.

His critics said he'd be a bumbling disaster. Not so much yet. His critics say he wants to deliver right-wing deregulation. Looking forward to the manifesto - bet it doesn't offer that. Weaknesses - absolutely - but his record on issues is pretty progressive. I think people will stick with him.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

(3) Some of the ads have been targeted at me as a resident of a specific area
    [Snip]

On the technical side this is definitely possible. On the political side it would be naive to think that this is not going on; the major political parties will take advantage of this provided that it is legal or they are sure the money trail won't lead back to them. Also they need the money to buy this targeted advertising.

That is where the problem starts. There is a general principle in the UK that election spending is controlled or capped, but this type of advertising is flying under the radar, and if a clear breach of the rules is found, nabbing the correct culprit has been lets say "complicated".

Over the last 5 years we have seen that this is a growing problem, but defining acceptable practice and overseeing that the law is not broken is going to be a massive headache. There is a real danger that the election regulators will remain 5 years behind the Cambridge Analyticas.

I suspect that it will take over 10 years of trying to address this before we get a reasonable solution. WH2020 will be such a huge event that I forsee this issue will become the focus of either the election itself or for the winner of that election.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

nunu2 said:

SunnyJim said:
    Wow.

So chill.

Labour promising to abolish all student debt might change matters.

eristdoof said:

camel said:

Andy_JS said:

Like most other pollsters methodology has changed to reading out only candidates standing in the constituency.

The Tories almost automatically getting a 5% swing from the Brexit Party in this Survation poll due to Farage's party only standing in 274 seats, but interesting that they also seem to have taken some support from the LDs as well.
    The Lib Dems are having a terrible war so far. Seems even worse than 2017. At least then Farron was getting some tv exposure, perhaps not quite for the reason he hoped.
    I think for Jo Swinson to declare homosexuality to be a sin might be best described as 'the nuclear option'.

She needs something. Being outperformed 2:1 by the tories on the 18-34 vote isn't great. They also are performing abysmally on this poll in the north* (4.7% - eek!)

*The dangers of drilling down on polls acknowledged.
    Thumbs up to that last comment.
    What the LibDems need is a reason to vote LibDem. They had about a week to get their message across while Labour and Conservatives were saying nothing, and wasted it with incessant whining about the debates being unfair.
    The Lib Dems are campaigning as if this was a Euro election not a GE. Ed Davey would have been a better leader, I am starting to think. All this “Jo Swinson’s liberals” has a touch of May’s hubris. She has not yet earned the right to behave like that.
    Tbh, the Tory party should wipe the slate clean and recalculate all £9k fees back down to £3k and take the debt write-off. It's good politics and good economics.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

Winninghere-itis is horribly infectious.
This discussion has been closed.