Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New GE2015 projection from Oxford’s Dr Stephen Fisher point

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New GE2015 projection from Oxford’s Dr Stephen Fisher points to a 48pc chance of a CON majority

A month ago the Oxford University political scientist, Dr Stephen Fish, produced his first projection for GE2015 in which he suggested that the Tories had a 57% chance of an overall majority.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    String them up, its the only language they understand, guv. I had the leaders of the main parties in the back of my cab. Couldn't claim for the mess they created on my expenses. guv. Hangings too good for Parliamentarians. Sold this story to Private Eye.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Fake fop. Can't be trusted.
    Greenbelt_Network ‏@GreenbeltNetwor 1h

Cameron swore he'd treasure the Green Belt. What a hollow promise http://dailym.ai/1hVNIEg via @MailOnline
  • Options
    Calamity Clegg's certainly doing well out of the coalition. If by well we mean flatlining at around 10% since 2010 with the most toxic personal ratings of any political leader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

But he's "back in the saddle" and will turn it all around now, right?
    Schools Improvement ‏@SchoolsImprove 48m

Leading Lib Dem says Nick Clegg got it wrong with free school meals policy http://bit.ly/1aNOs8f

Heather Smart ‏@gemini2359 1h

Nah-then Nick Clegg what you got 2 say about this->Poorest students face £350m cut in grants http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/nov/22/poorest-students-face-350m-cuts … Libdem Fail
    Wrong.
  • Options
    How does this prediction square up if the Tories come third in the Euro elections next year?
    Of course, the main point the Fisher analysis misses is that previous PMs could pick and choose the timing of their next general election to suit them.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

I know it's been posted before, but the more I read this story the crazier it seems. What kind of mentality would it take, to write that letter?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511841/Children-8-racist-miss-Islam-trip-Schools-threatening-letter-parents-met-outrage.html

That Headmistress should be sacked.

• Options
    SeanT said:

I know it's been posted before, but the more I read this story the crazier it seems. What kind of mentality would it take, to write that letter?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511841/Children-8-racist-miss-Islam-trip-Schools-threatening-letter-parents-met-outrage.html

The same enormo-bollocks that says this is ok:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10468115/Universities-can-segregate-men-and-women-for-debates.html
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    If you read that story fully, you can see the threat to label 8-year olds as racists has been hastily pulled. The head isn't standing by her opinion.

But as you say, quite what led her to make a threat like that is unfathomable.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    So opponents have started to acknowledge that Labour are on course for a majority.All that remains is for Paddypower to pay out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/former-lib-dem-minister-nick-2840416
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    87% two weeks ago, 48% now. He must have changed his tobacco !
  • Options
    On the good Doctor's model, this seems reasonable:

Inputted current average poll shares
    Con : 31
    Lab : 39
    LD : 10

This, eye opening:

Forecast Election Day Shares with 95% Prediction Intervals
    Con : 38.9 plus or minus 11.7 i.e. between 27 and 51
    Lab : 32.6 plus or minus 6.5 i.e. between 26 and 39
    LD : 11 plus or minus 14.1 i.e. between 0 and 25
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The same enormo-bollocks that says this is ok:

And the same presumably the same enormo boll8cks that has tolerated slavery and widespread corruption because they are being perpetrated by people of foreign extraction, as with the gang rape of teenage white girls.
  • Options
    The great thing about the Fisher method is that if something lucky happens and the Tories win a majority he'll look like a sage, but if things turn out as most non-bonkers people expect and the lead narrows but not enough for Con Maj, his model will gradually converge with reality as the election gets closer, until it "predicts" the actual result correctly.
  • Options

How does this prediction square up if the Tories come third in the Euro elections next year?
    Of course, the main point the Fisher analysis misses is that previous PMs could pick and choose the timing of their next general election to suit them.

Why are confusing prediction with a joke ? Fisher exists to provide amusement.
  • Options

The great thing about the Fisher method is that if something lucky happens and the Tories win a majority he'll look like a sage, but if things turn out as most non-bonkers people expect and the lead narrows but not enough for Con Maj, his model will gradually converge with reality as the election gets closer, until it "predicts" the actual result correctly.

In other words, he always "wins" !!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Would be interesting to know which seats Dr Fish predicts the Tories are going to gain.

Does this breakdown exist? All ex Lib Dem seats I expect.

Until then it's hard to know whether he is more Michael Fish.
  • Options
    taffys said:

tolerated slavery.......by people of foreign extraction,

One of the stories I read suggested the slavery couple, while not British, are from the British Isles.....

• Options

This, eye opening:

So, the Lib Dem poll share at GE2015 could be: -3.1 to 24.1

And, you are taking this joker seriously ?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Bigots and racists not welcome it would seem, at least in Wakefield.
    Ollie Jacob Hall ‏@olliejacobhall 15m

Big anti EDL and BNP protest going down in Wakefield. The police are everywhere.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

So opponents have started to acknowledge that Labour are on course for a majority.

I'm not sure a sacked Lib Dem minister is that great a prize.....do you think he reads PB.com?

• Options

IIUC it's based on opinion polls not actual elections, so the Euro result won't move it.

The election timing point is correct, but a much bigger problem is that he's unskewing to correct for polling bias to Labour and the opposition that happened in previous polls, some of them decades ago, but the pollsters have already changed their methodologies to correct for these things.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

This, eye opening:

So, the Lib Dem poll share at GE2015 could be: -3.1 to 24.1

And, you are taking this joker seriously ?
    I have a very high confidence that the outcomes will be within the ranges he suggests......

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mick_Pork said:

Calamity Clegg's certainly doing well out of the coalition. If by well we mean flatlining at around 10% since 2010 with the most toxic personal ratings of any political leader.

Leading Lib Dem says Nick Clegg got it wrong with free school meals policy http://bit.ly/1aNOs8f

Nah-then Nick Clegg what you got 2 say about this->Poorest students face £350m cut in grants http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/nov/22/poorest-students-face-350m-cuts … Libdem Fail
    Wrong.

To be fair, Calamity Clegg's doing ok. He gets to be DPM and the man who took the LibDems into government for the first time / first time in 80(?) years.

Not sure you can say the same thing about his party though...
  • Options

This, eye opening:

Hmmh.

I willing to go further. I can say, with 99.9% certainty, that the Tories will get between 27 and 51%...

;-)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The authoritarian facist mentality exists in some people in all communities.

But in a pretty liberal democratic country like this the standard outlets for it are not available.

So where do people with that mentality go ? Teaching seems like a good opportunity - a constant and guaranteed stream of little kids to be indoctrinated and/or bullied, the power of the state behind you, little risk of being disciplined.

On a related note a teacher friend of mine went on a couple of school trips - one to a Sikh Gurdwara which impressed him hugely, the other to a Mosque which had the opposite effect.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

SMukesh said:

So opponents have started to acknowledge that Labour are on course for a majority.

I'm not sure a sacked Lib Dem minister is that great a prize.....do you think he reads PB.com?

Mike probably knows whether he reads PB.Certainly speaks more sense than Oxford professors who keep changing their prediction every month.
  • Options
    The pseudo-scientific status of sociology and "political science" is highlighted once again. This is the modern equivalent of Joachim of Fiore (in his day a respected academic) trying to forecast the moment at which the age of the son would be superseded by the age of the spirit.
  • Options
    Charles said:

This, eye opening:

Hmmh.

I willing to go further. I can say, with 99.9% certainty, that the Tories will get between 27 and 51%...

;-)
    You can't beat me. I will predict with 100% certainty that any party or candidate standing in the elections will receive between 0% and 100% of the votes and none will receive less than 0% of the votes.

You may refer to this as the Surbiton Theory.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Mike probably knows whether he reads PB.Certainly speaks more sense than Oxford professors who keep changing their prediction every month.
    Nothing wrong with changing the prediction every month. There's new data every month, so it should change every month. The problem with the prediction isn't that it gets updated, it's that the assumptions it's based on are bollocks.
  • Options
    F1: wet again. Qualifying expected to be wet, and showers for the race.
  • Options
    Charles said:

This, eye opening:

Hmmh.

;-)
    You shouldn't be that confident. Con < 27% may be under 1% probability, but it's more than 0.1%. Basically if Con look obviously doomed they'll also look divided and feckless, and nearly all the UKIP-curious voters will vote UKIP instead of Con.
  • Options

Charles said:

This, eye opening:

Hmmh.

;-)
    You shouldn't be that confident. Con < 27% may be under 1% probability, but it's more than 0.1%. Basically if Con look obviously doomed they'll also look divided and feckless, and nearly all the UKIP-curious voters will vote UKIP instead of Con.
    You do realise that I didn't actually work out the probabilities and it was intended as a joke?

I mean event Surby got it!

Does this mean that Surby's sense of humour > EiT's sense of humour?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mick_Pork said:

Wrong.
    To be fair, Calamity Clegg's doing ok. He gets to be DPM and the man who took the LibDems into government for the first time / first time in 80(?) years.

So what?

If all he wanted was to be close to the trappings of power then he and his lib dems MPs should have all became civil servants. If he just wanted to enjoy a nice ministerial car and feeling important there's always a job in the EU. But if he wanted to advance what his party stood for he's been a complete and utter catastrophe.

Power is meaningless if you don't know what to do with it or what you stand for.

What did most people think the lib dems cared about pre 2010 election?

Fairer voting system - AV Shambles.
    Environment - Pure Greenwash and now Cammie's piled on the pain with "green crap".
    House of Lords Reform - Another shambles.
    Civil Liberties - Shockingly bad with his own party scarcely believing what Clegg was doing.
    No more Iraqs - But almost a Syria and it certainly wasn't stopped because of Clegg.
    Tuition Fees - Oh dear
    No more broken promises i.e. we're not like the other parties - Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

To be fair though it's not as real lib dems who cared about those kind of issues sat back and took it as the polling shows. Most of them had enough of Clegg within the first year and left with the lib dem activist base eroding away year on year to dangerously low levels.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

So what?

If all he wanted was to be close to the trappings of power then he and his lib dems MPs should have all became civil servants. If he just wanted to enjoy a nice ministerial car and feeling important there's always a job in the EU. But if he wanted to advance what his party stood for he's been a complete and utter catastrophe.

Power is meaningless if you don't know what to do with it or what you stand for.

What did most people think the lib dems cared about pre 2010 election?

Fairer voting system - AV Shambles.
    Environment - Pure Greenwash and now Cammie's piled on the pain with "green crap".
    House of Lords Reform - Another shambles.
    Civil Liberties - Shockingly bad with his own party scarcely believing what Clegg was doing.
    No more Iraqs - But almost a Syria and it certainly wasn't stopped because of Clegg.
    Tuition Fees - Oh dear
    No more broken promises i.e. we're not like the other parties - Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

To be fair though it's not as real lib dems who cared about those kind of issues sat back and took it as the polling shows. Most of them had enough of Clegg within the first year and left with the lib dem activist base eroding away year on year to dangerously low levels.

Ok then. So what did the LibDems believe in?

Was it the anti-EU stuff they told fishermen in Cornwall or the pro-EU stuff they told residents of Kingston? Was it the moderate stuff they told the good folk of Newbury or the leftie stuff they came up with in the North?

There is a hard core of LibDems - perhaps 10% - who have a clear view. The rest were protest and/or tactical votes. As we can see from the polling...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Except that Fisher, using exit polls, called the last election exactly right - to within three seats... Apart from that, good point.

That was an exit poll, based on statements about how people had voted that very day. This is a very different kettle of fish.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    This model has a serious credibility problem at this stage and will continue to do so until it is tested against actual results. It's credibility is not assisted by massive changes of this type in a single month where there has been a swing to Labour of perhaps 2% which is now starting to fall again.

If you "predict" every outcome over a period of months you will no doubt be able to point to one of those months and claim to have got it right on the stopped clock principle. The volitility of this result, if it continues, will completely undermine both its credibility and utility.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Charles said:

Ok then. So what did the LibDems believe in?

Was it the anti-EU stuff they told fishermen in Cornwall or the pro-EU stuff they told residents of Kingston? Was it the moderate stuff they told the good folk of Newbury or the leftie stuff they came up with in the North?

There is a hard core of LibDems - perhaps 10% - who have a clear view. The rest were protest and/or tactical votes. As we can see from the polling...

The 10% or so left may be hard core but the idea that none of those who left were hard core lib dems either is fanciful. There's little point pretending that Clegg's actions haven't driven away some who would have happily described themselves as lib dems before 2010. Go to a lib dem blog and you'll see posts every week from those who are out of the party until Clegg goes. The fact of the matter is that sometimes a party has an existential crisis and loses a great many of those who used to support them and that's where the lib dems are right now.

No party can only appeal only to narrow 'core' vote or that vote shrinks and they can soon find themselves all but an irrelevance. Exactly what has happened to the lib dems in scotland.
    They have enough MSPs to fit in a taxi now.

Nor are the lib dems alone. If the tories or labour go down to just a 'core' vote they won't be winning power any time soon. Swing voters matter. Marginals matter under FPTP. Denouncing those who might shift to another party is utter folly as the tories know all too well from the kippers. Will some lib dems drift back and some kippers drift back to the tories? Most people think so and I do too. But they won't all drift back and even previously tribal loyalty can be eroded by an arrogant, out of touch or just plain incompetent leader.

As for the lib dems ground campaigns with their 'flexible' messages, it didn't stop them winning even more seats under Kennedy. Clegg is in power because of a fairly rare quirk in electoral math, not because he powered the lib dems to dizzy new heights.

What will be left of the lib dems after Clegg, that's the question.
    If it's anything like scotland then the answer is not very much at all.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Was it the moderate stuff they told the good folk of Newbury or the leftie stuff they came up with in the North?

Tut, tut Charles the LibDems used the 'leftie stuff' not 'in the North' but primarily in urban areas. Now while there are urban areas in the North where they used the leftie stuff they also used plenty of 'moderate stuff' in the likes of Harrogate, Hallam and Hazel Grove.

And endless general anti-Labour stuff wherever they thought they had a better chance of beating Labour than the Conservatives did.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (Two threads ago)
    OMG Thank you for the link! What amazingly delightful stubble & hairy chest :) OMG
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited November 2013
    SeanT said:

Sure, but you accused him of being John Dee the Necromancer, using the "pseudo-science of sociology", blah blah.

This is a nonsensical charge.

Fisher may be wrong, but he is a serious academic with a good track record in political predictions - he is no Tarot-reading astrologer.

Serious academics with good track records often went in for what in hindsight was misinformed prophetic speculation. Joachim of Fiore was a respected theologian such that Lucius III asked for his help at the Council of Verona in 1184. Sir Isaac Newton is another example, accepting Daniel 7 as a legitimate source of prophecy (see R.W. Southern, 'Aspects of the European Tradition of Historical Writing: 3: History as Prophecy', Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, 5th series, 22, (1972), pp. 178-180) Dr Fisher is doing the same. The premises of this model are bonkers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This model has a serious credibility problem at this stage and will continue to do so until it is tested against actual results. It's credibility is not assisted by massive changes of this type in a single month where there has been a swing to Labour of perhaps 2% which is now starting to fall again.

If you "predict" every outcome over a period of months you will no doubt be able to point to one of those months and claim to have got it right on the stopped clock principle. The volitility of this result, if it continues, will completely undermine both its credibility and utility.

A model doing what his is supposed to should be swinging over the past month. The polling has been quite kind to Lab, and it's right to assume some swing back to the government and move the prediction away from the government for each month that it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    My concern for the Lib Dems is what does this hard core of 10% believe in? I am really not sure I know.

I think, per Clegg and Alexander, that they do believe in sane fiscal policies for the state. This clearly differentiates them from Labour but it also limits their opportunities amongst those who think George is some sort of grinch rather than Santa (sorry been dragged Christmas shopping this morning. In November!)

They are in favour of a more equal society with low taxation on the poor and limits on the cuts that are imposed on those in need, even if this means more taxes for the rich. For me this is by far their most attractive feature.

They are supposed to be libertarian but where are they in the criticism made of TPIMs? Why have Lib Dems not been brave enough to argue that there has to be limits on the powers of the state against people who are not convicted or even facing charges and that the authoritarian control orders of new Labour went too far?

They are pro EU. But they seem to accept, per DC, that changes are needed and the current EU is not working that well. Their position is quite difficult to differentiate from his which is frankly causing them both problems.

They want constitutional changes to the HoL and to the voting system. In fact their obsession with these sort of issues seems overriding and the implication is that is because it enhances their role as the king makers of our system.

I apologise to any Lib Dems if I have missed an important point. In fact I would like to hear from them explaining what is missing. At the moment it is a little hard to see their reason for existing. It has to be more than taking the edge off the views of the big boys.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited November 2013
    SeanT said:

Pray tell what makes for a "respected theologian", as against someone practising pseudoscience? Was he, in your mind, the very best and most rigorous medieval theologian, or did he have rivals?

Peter Lombard was his principal rival. He wrote the Sentences which would form the basis of Romanist theology until the seventeenth century. I fear, however, that you are making the mistake of asserting that a discipline is pseudo-scientific by reference to the standards of today rather than of the time. Time to read T.S. Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, (Chicago IL, 1962) if you haven't already.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A model doing what his is supposed to should be swinging over the past month. The polling has been quite kind to Lab, and it's right to assume some swing back to the government and move the prediction away from the government for each month that it doesn't happen.
    I agree with that and if Sean thought I was abusing Fisher he is wrong. His model is genuinely interesting and I welcome threads on it. It will undoubtedly improve over time.

My concern is that a swing of approximately 2% to Labour in a month seems to have produced a swing of 8% in the probabilities of one or other of the main parties getting a majority. If the model is this volatile it is of little use.

The probability of a tory majority was almost certainly too high to start with. It should have fallen given the recovery that Labour has had in a month when the trend should be against them (assuming we are heading to a tory majority). I just think the model needs to be more stable than this to be credible.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    So when is Clegg going to be dumped? I've thought for ages that the coalition will end around Christmas 2014, and that Clegg will be found a Brussels or Blair-type job at the same time.

Alternatively where can those of us who voted LD over the years go, given the mishandling referred to by Mr Pork?

Clearly not the Tories. Some of us I suppose will hold our noses and vote Labour, although one can hardly regard them as having much of a social conscience nowadays.

Green?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

My concern is that a swing of approximately 2% to Labour in a month seems to have produced a swing of 8% in the probabilities of one or other of the main parties getting a majority. If the model is this volatile it is of little use.

The probability of a tory majority was almost certainly too high to start with. It should have fallen given the recovery that Labour has had in a month when the trend should be against them (assuming we are heading to a tory majority). I just think the model needs to be more stable than this to be credible.

I'm not sure exactly how his thing is working but if you assume a change in the underlying position of 2% that's in the polls, and another 1% to 2% in the shift against Labour that was supposed to happen for the reasons you give but didn't, that's quite a big shift in expectations. Given a 3% to 4% change in the lead a 9% change in the probability of a majority doesn't seem particularly drastic.
  • Options
    I would have a lot more respect for Dr. Fisher's predictions if it followed local by-elections and elections [ i.e. their swings ]. The aggregate of such results indeed would make sense as:

1. they would track real votes

2. "swingback" will be automatically built-in.
  • Options
    F1: Going to have to wait for the markets to get going a bit. On Rosberg: his Betfair pole price has dropped from 9.8 to 6. Bit daft, really, given neither he nor Vettel set competitive times in P3.

I'll give it 10 minutes or so, see how things stack up.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Nothing wrong with changing the prediction every month. There's new data every month, so it should change every month. The problem with the prediction isn't that it gets updated, it's that the assumptions it's based on are bollocks.
    Yes I agree with our Edmund. Stephen Fish is talking bollocks, his assumptions are bollocks and he is....................... a load of................
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Why not vote LD, no party has a perfect fit for every voter, we have to decide on which is the closest.

Whether Clegg goes before or after the election matters little, and it is the survivors of the cull that the next leader will emerge from.

So when is Clegg going to be dumped? I've thought for ages that the coalition will end around Christmas 2014, and that Clegg will be found a Brussels or Blair-type job at the same time.

Alternatively where can those of us who voted LD over the years go, given the mishandling referred to by Mr Pork?

Clearly not the Tories. Some of us I suppose will hold our noses and vote Labour, although one can hardly regard them as having much of a social conscience nowadays.

Green?

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT/MalcolmG.

For the sake of the sanity of the moderators, stop the insults to each other.

Gladly.

Has ANYONE not got any brilliant thriller plots lying around? Tsk!

I am in urgent need. This is a cri de coeur.

Yes, I've got one but as I'm currently writing it, I'm loathed to loan it out to someone who'd probably make a better effort of it than I will.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I would have a lot more respect for Dr. Fisher's predictions if it followed local by-elections and elections [ i.e. their swings ]. The aggregate of such results indeed would make sense as:

1. they would track real votes

2. "swingback" will be automatically built-in.

Not sure I agree with that. Although I always enjoy the Thursday threads and although these results always tell us something they are, even in aggregate, very different from GE results.

Firstly, the level of turnout is much lower, roughly half, so it only tells us what the most committed think. This is interesting but not a basis for prediction for the uninvolved.

Secondly, there is often a protest type element in such by elections as there is in Parliamentary by elections. Even Peter Snow stopped telling us what the HoC would look like on the back of the swings at by elections.

Opinion polls probably are the better basis although I would concede the continued strength of UKIP in particular in the local results is not without interest.

• Options
    @OldKingCole

It wouldn't surprise me if turnout at 2015 was shockingly bad in some places.
    Sometimes you just lose voters till a new leader or political force comes along that they are prepared to put their mark against.

Greens might do well but what often motivates voters is usually either 'get rid of that leader and/or his party ' or 'don't let that leader in and/or his party'. You get a mixture of it at every election to be fair.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    What a waste of time ! UKIP will be more of an issue in 2015 for the Tories, than was the case in 2010. There will also still be much tactical voting against the Tories. The Tories main hope is that they have a lot of fairly new MP's who may benefit from an incumbency factor. If they can hold most of these seats and pick up 20 or so others which were very close in 2010, they might just scrape a majority. But I would not put any money on a Tory majority.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Green?

As I have been saying for 3 years now , Clegg will NOT be dumped , the coalition will last until the next election and Clegg will fight the next election as leader of the Lib Dems . i would hope that all those saying different over the last 3 years will acknowledge their lack of knowledge of politics and Lib Dems in particular . As fox says , no party is a perfect fit and at the next GE many voters will choose the one nearest their hopes and beliefs .
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Whether Clegg goes before or after the election matters little, and it is the survivors of the cull that the next leader will emerge from.

Actually that perfectly describes just why it matters hugely, to lib dem MPs at least.
    If Clegg goes before 2015 then with a honeymoon leader in place some of those ripe for culling might just survive. You can be certain they know it too.

You also don't get to shape the 'new' party or choose a new leader if you've just been given a good smack from the voter and told where to go. So those lib dem MPs who want to have their voices heard on that direction, but know they are doomed regardless, will do so well before election day, even if Clegg stays.
  • Options
    On topic, I have to say, it's brave for anyone to try and model the next election. Leaving aside 'events', as Sean points out below this parliament contains so many structural oddities that precedent is at best meaningless and at worst positively misleading. We're all working off gut instinct to a greater or lesser extent. Sure, we can pick out aspects of polls and local / by- / Euro-election results and work something around them. Likewise, we can model something based on current and historic polls leads during an election cycle, maybe combined with other significant factors such as the state of the economy. Even so, there are always at least as many reasons to oppose a particular conclusion than there are to propose it - the trick is in the discernment of which reasons to give weight to.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I think the swingback in the next general election will be about as much as it normally would be, and the Lib Dem vote will creep back up to a more normal level (perhaps 18% or so). This is because the people who voted Lib Dem last time, and who now say that they will vote Labour next time (because they don't like the Coalition) will get so scared that their elbows will fall off if Ed Miliband becomes Prime Minister, that they will have cold feet and go back to their default option of voting Lib Dem.

To put it another way, people will vote LD in the next GE because, as usual, (a) they don't like the Conservatives, (b) they don't like Labour. The new precedent of a hung parliament and an unusual coalition situation will be very much secondary in their considerations.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    First question - Is this a nowcast, or a forecast. The electoralcalculus.co.uk page should be read as a nowcast - I will be surprised heading to the General Election if it maintains Labour's 81% probability of an overall majority.

Dr Stephen Fisher's probabilities - This is either a forecast or a nowcast

It is hard to see how the Conservatives would get an evens chance of a majority if the election was held tommorow hence to my mind it must be a forecast (If it is a nowcast then it certainly LOOKS wrong).

Now his CON majority price has decreased by 9 pts from October 25th - What has happened in the last month to justify such a dramatic swing, I honestly can't recall anything much to be honest except the normal fluctuations around the Conservative vote share. The Conservatives so far as I remember haven't LOST any VI share, nor have Cameron's various ratings gone sharply downwards.

The other factor that confuses me is why the bulk of the probability of the Conservative Majority has headed straight past NOM's door into Labour Majority. Have Labour's majority chances REALLY gone up by 46% in the last month - this seems daft, yes the ratings are up slightly but they are still basically on ~38.5%.

Precedents simply have to be broken next GE, and big ones too - we are in the first Coalition Lib Dem-Conservative era ever. A 4th party has never been as strong as UKIP are right now in terms of voting intention.

The thing is with any models is that you can never tell from a single result if they are correct - if we end up with a Labour Majority then we can't say Fisher's 22% chance was incorrect. He has predicted it to come in 1 in 5 times, and this time might be that 1 in 5 chance. Alternatively the Conservatives could get a majority and the 80% probability of a Labour Majority as predicted by Martin Baxter (If polls stay the same from now till GE 2015) may have also been a correct probability, and the 25-1 chance that he makes a CON majority has simply come in. The sample size of 1 is too small !

Having said that the fairly massive fluctuation internally (With not alot happening in the polls) in this model does not give me alot of confidence in it.
  • Options

On topic, I have to say, it's brave for anyone to try and model the next election. Leaving aside 'events', as Sean points out below this parliament contains so many structural oddities that precedent is at best meaningless and at worst positively misleading. We're all working off gut instinct to a greater or lesser extent. Sure, we can pick out aspects of polls and local / by- / Euro-election results and work something around them. Likewise, we can model something based on current and historic polls leads during an election cycle, maybe combined with other significant factors such as the state of the economy. Even so, there are always at least as many reasons to oppose a particular conclusion than there are to propose it - the trick is in the discernment of which reasons to give weight to.

It is tricky. But if a model predicts the Tories will gain 20 seats, it's should be possible to point to which ones and judge on that basis.

For example, if Eastleigh and Corby were somehow in the mix, I would doubt it. Seen nothing to make me believe the Tories are making progress in such seats.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sat Nov 23, 2013 20:59 Share
    Two suspects held in an alleged slavery case in London came to the UK from India and Tanzania in the 1960s, police say.

Didn't tim make an instant comment about immigration policies in the 1980s ?

Would someone be so kind as to find it ...

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Pulpstar said:

Now his CON majority price has decreased by 9 pts from October 25th - What has happened in the last month to justify such a dramatic swing, I honestly can't recall anything much to be honest except the normal fluctuations around the Conservative vote share. The Conservatives so far as I remember haven't LOST any VI share, nor have Cameron's various ratings gone sharply downwards.

Even if the VI hasn't changed, we are still one month closer to the election, which represents a reduced chance for the CON majority.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    JohnLoony said:

I think the swingback in the next general election will be about as much as it normally would be, and the Lib Dem vote will creep back up to a more normal level (perhaps 18% or so). This is because the people who voted Lib Dem last time, and who now say that they will vote Labour next time (because they don't like the Coalition) will get so scared that their elbows will fall off if Ed Miliband becomes Prime Minister, that they will have cold feet and go back to their default option of voting Lib Dem.

To put it another way, people will vote LD in the next GE because, as usual, (a) they don't like the Conservatives, (b) they don't like Labour. The new precedent of a hung parliament and an unusual coalition situation will be very much secondary in their considerations.

I think this will be the case where there is an incumbent Lib Dem MP but not elsewhere. Elsewhere the 2010 LD 'leavers' will vote Labour generally in the CON-LAB marginals.
  • Options
    Betting Post

Backed Rosberg for pole at 8, hedged at 3:
    enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/brazil-pre-qualifying.html

This will, of course, look bloody stupid if Vettel storms to victory. I'm hoping it's wet.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Next said:

Pulpstar said:

Even if the VI hasn't changed, we are still one month closer to the election, which represents a reduced chance for the CON majority.
    Not by 9% though - flipping heck, lets see GE is expected to be May 2015. CON majority probability is made out to be 23% by Betfair (Which is as neutral as you can get - I think probability is lower but I've formed my own view on matters) and 4% by Baxter (I think it is higher). Anyway assuming there is no change in VI from here to the election - in the expected scenario of this 57% there must be CON-LAB swing expected to the Conservatives of hmm I think probably 8% gives a CON majority. Polls are pretty much as was from last month, the time to the next GE is now 17 not 18 months, that is 5.5% less time. So I'd expect his model to maybe drop 3% in Conservative majority probability - Perhaps Labour are doing slightly better on Ed Mili's internals - perhaps a case for 5-6% at the very most. 9% is far too big a drop for a single month particularly when not alot has happened.
  • Options
    Are you or have you ever been an LD voter? If not, then what gives you such insight into the minds of the 10% who poll for the LDs at present.

The recent LD conference had little in the way of leadership challenge, though like all parties a certain amount of positioning for potential post 2015 contests.

Your advice to the LDs is much like tims advice to the Tories, a mixture of negativism and wish to stir up internal conflicts. The value of such advice is less than zero. Indeed tims hostility to Cameron and Osborne just points up how afraid he is of them.
    Mick_Pork said:

Actually that perfectly describes just why it matters hugely, to lib dem MPs at least.
    If Clegg goes before 2015 then with a honeymoon leader in place some of those ripe for culling might just survive. You can be certain they know it too.

You also don't get to shape the 'new' party or choose a new leader if you've just been given a good smack from the voter and told where to go. So those lib dem MPs who want to have their voices heard on that direction, but know they are doomed regardless, will do so well before election day, even if Clegg stays.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Two suspects held in an alleged slavery case in London came to the UK from India and Tanzania in the 1960s, police say.

Not only did he make an instant comment, he made an instant comment which was an attempt to "smear" Tory attitudes to immigration, about an hour after this disturbing story broke.
    A new low, even for him.
    @SeanT

Could you let me have an email address as have some plot ideas
  • Options
    WelshJonesWelshJones Posts: 66
    edited November 2013

They'll not vote LD in 2015, 2020 or 2025.
    The LDs have been exposed as talentless and a brake on a return to fiscal sanity and a handicap to sane and efficient government, with their obsession with things that matter only to the LD elite: such as HoL reform.

They're the watermelon party - green on the outside, red on the inside (any party which uses the word 'fair' to mean 'rob the rich' is socialist in mind-set. And oblivious of history, biology and sound economics, as well as of political practicalities - don't YOU want to earn rather more? If so why would you vote to have more of that money taken from you by force, when you might otherwise donate it to an efficient and effective charity, voluntarily?)

No - the LDs appealed to those who would not support either a Cameron-led Conservative party, nor a Brown/Blair led Labour party: both are unconcerned (they feel) with anything but power - and themselves, supporting, as they both do, The Big Battalions (EU, Corporates, Unite).

So the erst-while LD voters will vote UKIP, as the rational choice.

Only Cameron or Milliband can be PM in June 2015, so, if you dislike both men, and.or what they represent and/or their policies, you join the NOTA voters.
    Some voted Green (hahahaha- Aussie Marxists); some voted Loony (etc) and some were even deluded enough to vote LD - but NONE voted for a 'Party-That-Might-Form-The-Government'.
    I.e They KNEW they were voting for a loser - which is, in itself, an odd thing to do.

So, now they'll vote UKIP, since they are the 'little guy' party, with a charismatic leader and policies which resonate with the electorate.

NB In the Celtic fringes, these demographic elected PC and the SNP to office - they're the 'anti-Establishment' parties.

And others did not vote at all. The CBA voters. IF (big, big, IF) any party leader can inspire and energise THAT demographic, they'll sweep to power.

I'd expect the LDs to poll 6-10% in GE 2015, and UKIP to poll anything from 15-28% (if UKIP win 'EU 14- they'll poll very well indeed in GE2015).
    Too few on here seem to appreciate just how deep the loathing is for the 'political class' as a whole the SNP proved that in 2011
  • Options
    Some interesting details here:
    http://news.sky.com/story/1172696/fresh-details-in-london-slavery-probe

It sounds as if the women were part of a collective. So it would sound like either a political or religious cult.

The fact that the address and culprits are under wraps may suggest that some more extraordinary details will emerge in time.
    SeanT said:

Not only did he make an instant comment, he made an instant comment which was an attempt to "smear" Tory attitudes to immigration, about an hour after this disturbing story broke.

A new low, even for him.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited November 2013
    Completely OT. Any lesbians at a loose end might enjoy the French film "Blue is the Warmest Colour" which won the Palme d'or at Cannes and is now on general release.

It's perhaps the most explicit film mainstream cinema has shown. It's also probably the most compelling performance by an actress for quite some time.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    SeanT said:

Their ideology tells them one thing while their eyes and ears tell them the exact opposite. Over time that extreme level of cognitive dissonance has an impact.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    edited November 2013
    SeanT said:

Fisher may be wrong, but he is a serious academic with a good track record in political predictions - he is no Tarot-reading astrologer.

Astrology - that's definitely a pseudo-science!

Except in India it would seem:
    A petition sent to the Supreme Court of India stated that the introduction of astrology to university curricula is "a giant leap backwards, undermining whatever scientific credibility the country has achieved so far", but it refused to intervene in the matter.[14]

In 2004, the Supreme Court dismissed a further petition, judging that the teaching of aStrology does not qualify as promotion of religion.[16] In February 2011, the Bombay High Court reaffirmed astrology's standing in India when it dismissed a case which had challenged its status as a science.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_astrology

Personally, I like Brian Cox's views on astrology:
    During Wonders of the Solar System, a TV programme by the BBC, the physicist Brian Cox said "Despite the fact that astrology is a load of rubbish, Jupiter can in fact have a profound influence on our planet. And it’s through a force . . . gravity." This upset believers in astrology who complained that there was no astrologer to provide an alternative viewpoint. To clarify, Cox gave the following statement to the BBC: "I apologise to the astrology community for not making myself clear. I should have said that this new age drivel is undermining the very fabric of our civilisation." [9] In the programme Stargazing Live, Cox further commented by saying: "in the interests of balance on the BBC, yes astrology is nonsense." [10]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology_and_science

• Options
    edited November 2013

Are you or have you ever been an LD voter? If not, then what gives you such insight into the minds of the 10% who poll for the LDs at present.

Oh you know, polling, election results, past and present pronouncements by lib dems and their leader, that kind of thing. In short the same type of things you use to speculate on any party other than your own. So let's drop the 'only a lib dem voter can understand us' crap because you've lost a rather sizeable chunk of those voters who, it would seem, understood Clegg all too well.

The recent LD conference had little in the way of leadership challenge, though like all parties a certain amount of positioning for potential post 2015 contests.

Yes because what aspiring lid dem leader wouldn't want to be the coalition shit magnet this far out from the election and junk any possible honeymoon period while they are at it?

Your advice to the LDs is much like tims advice to the Tories, a mixture of negativism and wish to stir up internal conflicts. The value of such advice is less than zero. Indeed tims hostility to Cameron and Osborne just points up how afraid he is of them.

I'm charmed you think I have the power to rouse Farron, Lamb or Vince to rise up against Clegg but the reality is that they and others will continue to position themselves without any input from me. For that matter you are all but an irelevance in scotland. That's not polling or speculation, that's 5 MSPs and a scottish election calamity for the lib dems that only Clegg and his ostrich faction could possibly ignore. The lib dems here are usually the subject of derision, not fear.

The lib dems simply don't have many options apart from dumping Clegg, a massive lurch to differentiation just before the election, or hoping that things will somehow just magically get better for them. Clegg isn't certain to go by any means but I know which options have more chance of shifting the polls.

You want more options then place your blame where it belongs. Clegg made every single meaningful choice to get the lib dems to exactly where they are now. Not me.

So I'm sorry that I don't worship at the altar of Clegg or try hopelessly to spin that the lib dems position is rosy but I have zero interest in doing so and it would be a lie.
  • Options
    As most seats are safe seats a very large number of people vote for a candidate that cannot win. That is true of all parties.

As the LDs are well known to be pro Europe and anti a lot of UKIP policies, I cannot see that many LD to UKIP switchers, at least when a real election comes.

I cannot see UKIP pushing the LDs into 4th in the GE; though expect it in the Euro elections.

I think OGH's tip for the Conservatives as biggest vote share in the Euros remains the value bet.

They'll not vote LD in 2015, 2020 or 2025

No - the LDs appealed to those who would not support either a Cameron-led Conservative party, nor a Brown/Blair led Labour party: both are unconcerned (they feel) with anything but power - and themselves, supporting, as they both do, The Big Battalions (EU, Corporates, Unite).

Only Cameron or Milliband can be PM in June 2015, so, if you dislike both men, and.or what they represent and/or their policies, you join the NOTA voters.
    Some voted Green (hahahaha- Aussie Marxists); some voted Loony (etc) and some were even deluded enough to vote LD - but NONE voted for a 'Party-That-Might-Form-The-Government'.
    I.e They KNEW they were voting for a loser - which is, in itself, an odd thing to do.

So, now they'll vote UKIP, since they are the 'little guy' party, with a charismatic leader and policies which resonate with the electorate.

NB In the Celtic fringes, these demographic elected PC and the SNP to office - they're the 'anti-Establishment' parties.

And others did not vote at all. The CBA voters. IF (big, big, IF) any party leader can inspire and energise THAT demographic, they'll sweep to power.

I'd expect the LDs to poll 6-10% in GE 2015, and UKIP to poll anything from 15-28% (if UKIP win 'EU 14- they'll poll very well indeed in GE2015).
    Too few on here seem to appreciate just how deep the loathing is for the 'political class' as a whole the SNP proved that in 2011

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited November 2013
    Baxter does not say the probability of a Con majority is 4%.

Baxter says if there was a GE tomorrow then probability of Con majority is 4%.

Don't know how many times people are going to continue to get this wrong on this site - it must have been posted wrongly 100 times and corrected 100 times but people don't seem to be able to understand it and take it in.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

They'll not vote LD in 2015, 2020 or 2025.
    The LDs have been exposed as talentless and a brake on a return to fiscal sanity and a handicap to sane and efficient government, with their obsession with things that matter only to the LD elite: such as HoL reform.

They're the watermelon party - green on the outside, red on the inside (any party which uses the word 'fair' to mean 'rob the rich' is socialist in mind-set. And oblivious of history, biology and sound economics, as well as of political practicalities - don't YOU want to earn rather more? If so why would you vote to have more of that money taken from you by force, when you might otherwise donate it to an efficient and effective charity, voluntarily?)

A post that ranks as one of the most ludicrous ever posted on this board . I have saved it for posterity so that I can throw it back at you when it has been shown to be utter drivel .
  • Options

SeanT said:

Astrology - that's definitely a pseudo-science!

Except in India it would seem:
    A petition sent to the Supreme Court of India stated that the introduction of astrology to university curricula is "a giant leap backwards, undermining whatever scientific credibility the country has achieved so far", but it refused to intervene in the matter.[14]

In 2004, the Supreme Court dismissed a further petition, judging that the teaching of aStrology does not qualify as promotion of religion.[16] In February 2011, the Bombay High Court reaffirmed astrology's standing in India when it dismissed a case which had challenged its status as a science.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_astrology

Personally, I like Brian Cox's views on astrology:
    During Wonders of the Solar System, a TV programme by the BBC, the physicist Brian Cox said "Despite the fact that astrology is a load of rubbish, Jupiter can in fact have a profound influence on our planet. And it’s through a force . . . gravity." This upset believers in astrology who complained that there was no astrologer to provide an alternative viewpoint. To clarify, Cox gave the following statement to the BBC: "I apologise to the astrology community for not making myself clear. I should have said that this new age drivel is undermining the very fabric of our civilisation." [9] In the programme Stargazing Live, Cox further commented by saying: "in the interests of balance on the BBC, yes astrology is nonsense." [10]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology_and_science

Tim Minchin's views on modern pseudo science are every bit as rude but extremely funny. If you haven't already seen this you are in for a treat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtYkyB35zkk

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    Is reason for change that Fisher has refined his model?

When he first issued model a few weeks ago there was an obvious inconsistency between his "Majority" percentages and his "Lead" percentages.

So has he refined the model to sort out that problem and the refinement has led to a much bigger change in the "Majority" percentages than would be justified by events of the last few weeks.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Don't know how many times people are going to continue to get this wrong on this site - it must have been posted wrongly 100 times and corrected 100 times but people don't seem to be able to understand it and take it in.

If you are referring to my last post, his (And any) nowcast becomes a forecast if the polls do not change between now and the GE. I was using the 4% as the most favourable hypothecated scenario (For such a large Con majority % probability decrease to occur) to gauge the plausibility of the 9% downswing in Mr Fisher's model being as a result of the difference between his expected swings between now and the GE and there being no swing, or a marginal uptick to Labour. It was a response to Next's view that the 9% could come about as a result of us being a month closer to the GE - It can't.
  • Options
    Sure, the LDs will attempt to differentiate from the coalition at the next election, but they will also differentiate from the Labour party. Hardly a difficult prediction to make!

I do not think that throwing out Clegg and repudiating the coalition would enhance their credibility, it may well wreck what is left of credibility.

The fact that David Laws is in charge of the next manifesto would suggest that it will not be a radical leftist agenda.
    Mick_Pork said:

Oh you know, polling, election results, past and present pronouncements by lib dems and their leader, that kind of thing. In short the same type of things you use to speculate on any party other than your own. So let's drop the 'only a lib dem voter can understand us' crap because you've lost a rather sizeable chunk of those voters who, it would seem, understood Clegg all too well.

Yes because what aspiring lid dem leader wouldn't want to be the coalition shit magnet this far out from the election and junk any possible honeymoon period while they are at it?

I'm charmed

You want more options then place your blame where it ongs. Clegg made every single meaningful choice to get the lib dems exactly to where they are now. Not me.

So I'm sorry that I don't worship at the altar of Clegg or try hopelessly to spin that the lib dems position is rosy but I have zero interest in doing so and it would be a lie.
  • Options
    48% chance of a CON majority

"So you're telling me there's a chance? YEAH!!!!!"
    - Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Is reason for change that Fisher has refined his model?

When he first issued model a few weeks ago there was an obvious inconsistency between his "Majority" percentages and his "Lead" percentages.

So has he refined the model to sort out that problem and the refinement has led to a much bigger change in the "Majority" percentages than would be justified by events of the last few weeks.

His methodology has not changed at all.

His largest party/majority probabilities are now internally consistent although with no methodology change they don't have to be.
  • Options

15% chance I reckon ;)
  • Options
    The most striking prediction from his model currently is that Lib Dems have an implied 40-1 chance of getting more than 29 seats.
  • Options

As the LDs are well known to be pro Europe and anti a lot of UKIP policies, I cannot see that many LD to UKIP switchers, at least when a real election comes.

There certainly won't be many but unless I am very much mistaken dog-whistling on gypsies to the right of Nigel Farage is hardly the kind of stuff we are used to hearing from previous lib dem leaders.
    LBC 97.3 ‏@lbc973 14 Nov

LISTEN: 'If I'd said that about Roma gypsies there would've been total uproar!' Farage on Nick Clegg https://audioboo.fm/boos/1730022-farage-if-i-d-said-that-about-roma-gypsies-there-would-ve-been-total-uproar?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twittershare … Is he right?
    Which just might be why Clegg gets polling like this.
    Conference 2013: Voters wonder still what Lib Dems stand for

Even fewer people know what the Liberal Democrats stand for now than before the last conference

As Liberal Democrats from around the country gather for the party’s 2013 Conference in Glasgow, YouGov polling for The Sun shows how feelings about the Conservatives’ coalition partner and the party’s leader, Nick Clegg, have changed since the previous conference – and how they have not.

As the campaign speeches and debates of the 2010 general election recede further into the past, it appears that the Liberal Democrats are left with a growing challenge to define themselves for voters: whereas only 26% of voters felt like they knew what the Lib Dems stood for before last year’s conference, even fewer, just 19%, know it this time around.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/09/15/liberal-democrats-party-conference-2013/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The most striking prediction from his model currently is that Lib Dems have an implied 40-1 chance of getting more than 29 seats.

The current Ladbrokes line price is for the LDs on 37.5 seats - a level that I don't find tempting

• Options

LOL

Nicely done Sunil though you could have gone for the clip. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

If you are referring to my last post, his (And any) nowcast becomes a forecast if the polls do not change between now and the GE. I was using the 4% as the most favourable hypothecated scenario (For such a large Con majority % probability decrease to occur) to gauge the plausibility of the 9% downswing in Mr Fisher's model being as a result of the difference between his expected swings between now and the GE and there being no swing, or a marginal uptick to Labour. It was a response to Next's view that the 9% could come about as a result of us being a month closer to the GE - It can't.
    "It was a response to Next's view that the 9% could come about as a result of us being a month closer to the GE - It can't. "

I did not say that a whole 9% could just come from being a month closer to the GE.

Just that it was one factor you were ignoring.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The current Ladbrokes line price is for the LDs on 37.5 seats - a level that I don't find tempting

I have £20 on over 32.5 with Paddy Power.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

LOL

Nicely done Sunil though you could have gone for the clip. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM
    Beat me to it LOL!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You think it will be higher, or lower than 37.5 seats - Or you expect it to be around that in which case it is obviously no bet ;) ?
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Presumably the model starts with a baseline which assumes 'swingback'. Therefore, even if polls had stayed constant the chance of a labour majority would be greater. A slight shift to Labour in the polls further increases the probability.

If its a decent model it should be reasonably self correcting and become more accurate as more data is inputted, accounting for all the various unknowns described below. It shouldn't be Dr Fisher predicts by pulling numbers out of his arse (a la Hodges), but Dr Fisher's model predicts, and changes on the basis of evidence. The numbers will take some time to settle down.

Nate Silver isn't a genius, he just had a good model and alot of data over a long time period. Having said that, having looked at the methodology paper i'm not sure how sophisticated a statistician Dr Fisher actually is!
  • Options
    On topic: As a matter of mathematical philosophy, one has to ask exactly what is meant by 'probability' when it comes a one-off event. If Professor A says the probability of Con Maj is (say) 60%, and Dr B says it's 20%, and it turns out that the result is Con Maj (or, for that matter, that it isn't), you still wouldn't know whether Professor A or Dr B was correct; a probability is only a well-defined concept for something you can repeat often enough, under identical conditions, to be able to check the number of times the eventuality occurs against the probability.

On the other hand, it clearly means something, in that if Mr C said the chance of a LibDem majority was 60%, we'd unanimously agree that Mr C was off with the fairies, and, if we couldn't assess probabilities at all in political betting, we couldn't make money from it.

I'll leave you with that conundrum, as it's my 60th birthday (!), and I'm planning to cope with this difficult concept by drinking some fine claret.
  • Options

Charles said:

Was it the moderate stuff they told the good folk of Newbury or the leftie stuff they came up with in the North?

Tut, tut Charles the LibDems used the 'leftie stuff' not 'in the North' but primarily in urban areas. Now while there are urban areas in the North where they used the leftie stuff they also used plenty of 'moderate stuff' in the likes of Harrogate, Hallam and Hazel Grove.

And endless general anti-Labour stuff wherever they thought they had a better chance of beating Labour than the Conservatives did.

Indeed, tut tut. I didn't know any LibDem seats in the North and couldn't be bothered to look it up. How unforgiveably indolent of me.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    @Tom enjoyed posting.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @Charles

FPT

[Goldman Sachs] put their Farringdon HQ on hold and blamed it on the EU.

The real story is to do with the Diocese of London and taxi ranks. Goldman's thought they could screw the Church. They couldn't.

Any more on this story? Just curious.
  • Options

On topic: As a matter of mathematical philosophy, one has to ask exactly what is meant by 'probability' when it comes a one-off event. If Professor A says the probability of Con Maj is (say) 60%, and Dr B says it's 20%, and it turns out that the result is Con Maj (or, for that matter, that it isn't), you still wouldn't know whether Professor A or Dr B was correct; a probability is only a well-defined concept for something you can repeat often enough, under identical conditions, to be able to check the number of times the eventuality occurs against the probability.

On the other hand, it clearly means something, in that if Mr C said the chance of a LibDem majority was 60%, we'd unanimously agree that Mr C was off with the fairies, and, if we couldn't assess probabilities at all in political betting, we couldn't make money from it.

I'll leave you with that conundrum, as it's my 60th birthday (!), and I'm planning to cope with this difficult concept by drinking some fine claret.

Many happy returns Richard.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT
    SeanT said:

Has ANYONE not got any brilliant thriller plots lying around? Tsk! I am in urgent need. This is a cri de coeur.

Just read this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10468267/Father-Alec-Reid-Obituary.html

Gerry Adams and his family are obviously inbred crims. The count [sp?] needs some 'subtle persuation'....

SeanT said:

Believe it or not I heard about Gerry Adams' brother's now-accepted incestuous child rape FIFTEEN YEARS ago, from a drunk SAS man in a London nightclub. They had bugged his house and could hear it happening - distressing screams etc. The SAS guy told me they wanted to go in and kill Adams' brother, but in the interest of "wider security issues" they were commanded to do nothing.

True story.

One wonders how this info was used by British Intel in the intervening years. A spot of blackmail?

What a murky, nasty business. I guess we will never know the truth behind the Troubles, and how they ended.

Cold War / Anti-IRA, use of surveillance and subsequent blackmail, blind eye turned or even active participation in creating opportunities for usefully blackmailable vices, blind eye turned to or active participation in how the necessary child-victims were created and procured, some of the personnel involved selling on acquired info that was commercially useful or moon-lighting to assist lobbying firms in using the same tactics for commercial or political purposes.

You could take Elroy Jame's JFK book and just change the setting: CIA to MI5, Mafia to sovs, Cubans to IRA etc.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2013
    Cowdenbeath by-election (Scottish Parliament) will take place on January 23th.
    It is caused by the death of a Labour MSP who had a 4.9% majority in 2011.
    The constituency includes 4 wards in full plus part of a 5th.

In the 4 wards totally included within the constituency boundaries, the 2012 locals result was:

Lab 51.3%
    SNP 33.6
    Con 7.9
    LD 5.2
    UKIP 1.7
    Others 0.2%

The split ward voted Lab 46.4 Ind 27.51 SNP 19 Ind 4.43 Con 2.66%

Applying the next door Dunfermline by-election swing to 2011 result would result in a 18.78% majority....which is more or less like the 2012 locals lead in the area.
  • Options

Best wishes and I'll raise a glass to you later.

I suppose my taxes will now be going to support all the freebies you'll now get ;-)
  • Options

Happy Birthday Richard!
This discussion has been closed.