Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The spread markets the Tories down a touch but still heading f

Comments

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    philiph said:

This is sensible from Mark pack over the impact of other parties standing down so there is only one pro remain contender in individual seats. You cannot just take things as they are when making calculations as everybody else seems to be doing

https://twitter.com/markpack/status/1192561080624697345?s=19

Surely it reduces the spend on remain messages as there is only one allowance for the party standing in the constituency not two or three allowance as a couple of remain candidates have withdrawn.
    I think it will be easy to look at whether this Goddam Stupid Remain Alliance has had any effect after the GE, by taking (say) the LibDem vote change in Brecon & Radnorshire and Montgomeryshire and comparing to demographically similar seats the other side of Clawdd Offa, say Herefordshire & Ludlow.

I think that it will show what everyone else on pbcom is trying to tell the LibDems.

There will be no significant effect. There may be a slight effect, but I am not sure it will even be positive.
  • Options

MASSIVELY important thread from MaajidNawaz detailing why Labour's anti-semitism is a disaster not only for them but for politics. We cannot allow this stain on our society to prosper. We cannot allow Corbyn.

"Oh I like their policies on home insulation. Yeah Jews are being harassed and persecuted but look at my energy bill drop". No.

https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1192479519929774082

He is another who would make a great MP.
    He seems like a very sensible person.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    I'm in Iowa.

Michael Bloomberg has just decided to enter the Democratic Primary race.

It may be a bit on the late side for him, but he's got more money than God.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

MASSIVELY important thread from MaajidNawaz detailing why Labour's anti-semitism is a disaster not only for them but for politics. We cannot allow this stain on our society to prosper. We cannot allow Corbyn.

"Oh I like their policies on home insulation. Yeah Jews are being harassed and persecuted but look at my energy bill drop". No.

twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1192479519929774082

Ooh, have you gone over to the LDs Rochdale? I missed that.
    It was a few weeks ago. The current upheaval in politics is doing none of us any favours
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    AndyJS said:

Apparently Nick Timothy has come second in Stourbridge tonight for the Tory selection, after coming second yesterday in Meriden.

Now he knows how those Tory candidates felt in 2017. :p
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

The Conrad/Cairns contrast is bad for the Tories. Conrad was crass, and it was right he went to avoid further embarrassment (amazing they didn't Google him prior to approval - it was a well publicised case).

But Cairns was FAR worse - utterly cavalier attitude to blatant sabotage of a rape trial, and quite brazenly lying. Inescapable that he got a pass as a Cabinet Minister to ride it out, while Conrad was ditched for much less.

I don't think you can conclude that at the moment.

We don't actually have evidence of what Cairns knew when.

It is certainly possible that Ross England was economical with the truth & Cairns was too trusting of his colleague. Remember the full details of the trial have only just been made publicly available, with the dismissal of the rapist's appeal.

And on the matter of cover-ups, I see Carl Sergeant's family are back in the news, requesting that Welsh Labour tell us something of the murky events that surrounded his suicide.
    The judge at the trial emailed Cairns about Englands sabotage last year, didn't he?

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2019-11-05/calls-for-welsh-secretary-alun-cairns-to-resign-after-leaked-email-emerges/

Cairns knew. Why do you defend him?

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

No national polls tonight?

Looks like we'll have to wait until Mega Polling Saturday now!:D
    Let's ave it!!!

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Worst place? You can't beat some of those ex pit villages in South Yorkshire where I come from. Pebbledash, stray dogs, everybody either really thin or really fat. Nothing replaced the mines.

I left Uni in 1986 and ended up working as a shot firer at Maltby Quarry. Maltby Main Coal Mine was still open then having survived the initial closures (and actually stayed open until 2013) but the town was in serious decline. Some areas like White City looked like every house was a derelict in spite of people still living in them.

I went back a decade later and the place was utterly transformed. But I always found it surprising that a town that still had its mine working looked to be in a worse state than many of those that had lost their pits.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2019
    The Tories believe however much money they say they'll throw around they will continue to be more trusted on the economy than Labour (as long as it's a lower figure than Labour's), so with Labour pledging to spend trillions it gives Javid plenty of scope...

• Options

The Tories believe however much money they say they'll throw around they will continue to be more trusted on the economy than Labour (as long as it's a lower figure than Labour's), so with Labour pledging to spend trillions it gives Javid plenty of scope...

Promising big spending is obviously in order to make breakthroughs in the Midlands and the north.

Though combining it with a hard Brexit pretty much equals Labour's financial incontinence.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Roger said:

Richard Tice standing for Hartlepool!

A sobbing Isabel Oakeshott believed to be house hunting

Why are you so nasty. You cannot help yourself

And I am no supporter of Tice
    Oakeshott is a disgrace who shops her sources. She deserves no sympathy from you or anyone else.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Drutt said:

Here's Roger Godsiff "delicious"'s letter about leaving Labour and standing as Independent.

https://twitter.com/stanchers/status/1192552777563693056?s=20

Godsiff blaming the gays is "frankly a bit of a let-off for the Jews", claims Williamson.
    Godsiff had a 34,000 majority.

He's about to find out how little of that was a personal vote....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Apparently Nick Timothy has come second in Stourbridge tonight for the Tory selection, after coming second yesterday in Meriden.

Is he getting the message yet that he's a number 2?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The Conrad/Cairns contrast is bad for the Tories. Conrad was crass, and it was right he went to avoid further embarrassment (amazing they didn't Google him prior to approval - it was a well publicised case).

But Cairns was FAR worse - utterly cavalier attitude to blatant sabotage of a rape trial, and quite brazenly lying. Inescapable that he got a pass as a Cabinet Minister to ride it out, while Conrad was ditched for much less.

It is certainly possible that Ross England was economical with the truth & Cairns was too trusting of his colleague. Remember the full details of the trial have only just been made publicly available, with the dismissal of the rapist's appeal.

And on the matter of cover-ups, I see Carl Sergeant's family are back in the news, requesting that Welsh Labour tell us something of the murky events that surrounded his suicide.
    The judge at the trial emailed Cairns about Englands sabotage last year, didn't he?

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2019-11-05/calls-for-welsh-secretary-alun-cairns-to-resign-after-leaked-email-emerges/

I think the crucial question is what is in the letter. And did Cairns get it? Ross England presumably manages his mail !

The "leaked email" does not seem to me to be a definitive piece of evidence. It says that Ross England reported to everyone that it was nothing serious.

I was actually the first to point out on pb.com that this was a very serious matter, several days ago, while you and the rest of the LibDems were guffawing about the Moggster.

I am not trying to defend Cairns. I am interested to know what happened exactly (much like for the Sergeant affair).
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Now he knows how those Tory candidates felt in 2017. :p
    Perhaps a third time will be a charm? :)
  • Options

philiph said:

This is sensible from Mark pack over the impact of other parties standing down so there is only one pro remain contender in individual seats. You cannot just take things as they are when making calculations as everybody else seems to be doing

https://twitter.com/markpack/status/1192561080624697345?s=19

Surely it reduces the spend on remain messages as there is only one allowance for the party standing in the constituency not two or three allowance as a couple of remain candidates have withdrawn.
    I think it will be easy to look at whether this Goddam Stupid Remain Alliance has had any effect after the GE, by taking (say) the LibDem vote change in Brecon & Radnorshire and Montgomeryshire and comparing to demographically similar seats the other side of Clawdd Offa, say Herefordshire & Ludlow.

I think that it will show what everyone else on pbcom is trying to tell the LibDems.

There will be no significant effect. There may be a slight effect, but I am not sure it will even be positive.
    There was a voxpop on Radio 5 earlier, of people who were not going to vote for the Green candidate, but were outraged they didn't now have the option to not vote for them.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.....
  • Options

eek said:

I guess Roger has never been to Hartlepool. There are a few places that are lovely (The Headland for 1) but it does take ages to escape Hartlepool from there.

I went there for a wedding a few years ago, on a ship permanently moored in the harbour. The harbour area was pretty nice, like a lot of refurbished ports. Going inland suited me as there were loads of takeaways, but I didn't around enough for a serious impression. Certainly not the worst place I've been to.
    So where was the worst?
    The worst place I have ever visited is Fitzwilliam in West Yorkshire. Just a place left for dead after the mine closures with no hope and no chance of recovery. Children playing truant, mums on smack. It was a very harrowing place – it's many years ago when I visited. I hope it has improved, but I don't expect it has.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm in Iowa.

Please... refer to him as Trump and not God and I do not care how many laying-on-of-hands sessions they have in the Whitehouse... :D
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

I guess Roger has never been to Hartlepool. There are a few places that are lovely (The Headland for 1) but it does take ages to escape Hartlepool from there.

I went there for a wedding a few years ago, on a ship permanently moored in the harbour. The harbour area was pretty nice, like a lot of refurbished ports. Going inland suited me as there were loads of takeaways, but I didn't around enough for a serious impression. Certainly not the worst place I've been to.
    So where was the worst?
    There was one patch in North London which really looked like a bombsite - crumbling brickwork everywhere, rubbish on the streets, dodgy blokes on street corners. I was going round with Steve Pound, who cheerfully reported that one voter had said "Mum's not in, she's just popped down to the crack house".

I thought that Glasgow tenements would be rough, but actually they were comparatively fine. The voters there were courteous to this obvious southerner trying to get them to vote Labour, though a lot politely said they weren't bothering. One was clearly a prostitute (scantily clad and greeted me "Come in darling") - I explained and she was intrigued and said that if I hung on a minute she'd get her coat and give it a try, did it cost anything? We walked over to the nearby polling centre and she went in to try democracy out - an enjoyable perversion she'd never done before.
    One of my early canvasses in North London back in my 20s was a house where no sooner had I rung the doorbell, I was invited in and shown through into a room in which a woman was lying in her underwear on a bed with bright red sheets. When she asked what I wanted, I began to explain whereupon I was ushered out of the house with remarkable rapidity. On that occasion at least I didn’t detect any virginal interest in the democratic process.
    One of the first times I went canvassing in Potter Bar, a really stunning woman came to the door in her underwear. She said she was just waiting for her boyfriend to arrive, and was completely unabashed.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Ever been to Gainsborough?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?
    Not had that pleasure. Coalville, I know well.

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    What’s wrong with it? It looks nice enough on street view (assuming I got the right one).
    The Old Hall is alright.

Great value housing. 4 beds for £25 000...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/75323617
    The kitchen is really something.

I can imagine an obese person getting stuck.
    Not a patch on Mansfield, eh?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Lady from Greens on Newsnight challenging Sir John Curtice view that the Remain Alliance will win no more than six extra seats.

Brave. :)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Observing the tone of this campaign, as things stand Labour are going to get hammered.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rcs1000 said:

I'm in Iowa.

Do you think Trump will win Iowa next year?
  • Options

Drutt said:

Here's Roger Godsiff "delicious"'s letter about leaving Labour and standing as Independent.

https://twitter.com/stanchers/status/1192552777563693056?s=20

Godsiff blaming the gays is "frankly a bit of a let-off for the Jews", claims Williamson.
    Godsiff had a 34,000 majority.

He's about to find out how little of that was a personal vote....
    He may do better than expected because, for example, he supported the parents protesting at the schools in his constituency.
  • Options

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    The worst place I have ever visited is Fitzwilliam in West Yorkshire. Just a place left for dead after the mine closures with no hope and no chance of recovery. Children playing truant, mums on smack. It was a very harrowing place – it's many years ago when I visited. I hope it has improved, but I don't expect it has.
    Parkhead, Glasgow in the late 1980s.

Half derelict tenements with people living in them, no windows. Groups of very young kids roaming the streets in tatty clothes. It looked like a bombsite.

It has all been demolished now, and new housing built on that site, but I can still remember how bloody bleak it was.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Observing the tone of this campaign, as things stand Labour are going to get hammered.

Yep.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

He was the Lib Dems candidate in Hampstead a couple of elections back. I was one of the few voting for him. The wrong year to be a Lib Dems candidate, sadly. A big loss to Parliament.

And, yes, that thread is outstanding.
  • Options

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Fitzwilliam would be my contender as worst place too.

Its always been a notorious shithole - David Peace wrote about it in his novels.

I believe that David Herdson lives in the same ward these days so perhaps he could give a contemporary view.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    There was one patch in North London which really looked like a bombsite - crumbling brickwork everywhere, rubbish on the streets, dodgy blokes on street corners. I was going round with Steve Pound, who cheerfully reported that one voter had said "Mum's not in, she's just popped down to the crack house".

I thought that Glasgow tenements would be rough, but actually they were comparatively fine. The voters there were courteous to this obvious southerner trying to get them to vote Labour, though a lot politely said they weren't bothering. One was clearly a prostitute (scantily clad and greeted me "Come in darling") - I explained and she was intrigued and said that if I hung on a minute she'd get her coat and give it a try, did it cost anything? We walked over to the nearby polling centre and she went in to try democracy out - an enjoyable perversion she'd never done before.
    One of my early canvasses in North London back in my 20s was a house where no sooner had I rung the doorbell, I was invited in and shown through into a room in which a woman was lying in her underwear on a bed with bright red sheets. When she asked what I wanted, I began to explain whereupon I was ushered out of the house with remarkable rapidity. On that occasion at least I didn’t detect any virginal interest in the democratic process.
    One of the first times I went canvassing in Potter Bar, a really stunning woman came to the door in her underwear. She said she was just waiting for her boyfriend to arrive, and was completely unabashed.
    "Well, here I am", I hope you said!
  • Options

Foxy said:

I think the crucial question is what is in the letter. And did Cairns get it? Ross England presumably manages his mail !

The "leaked email" does not seem to me to be a definitive piece of evidence. It says that Ross England reported to everyone that it was nothing serious.

I was actually the first to point out on pb.com that this was a very serious matter, several days ago, while you and the rest of the LibDems were guffawing about the Moggster.

I am not trying to defend Cairns. I am interested to know what happened exactly (much like for the Sergeant affair).
    "Months later, on 2 August 2018, an email was sent to Mr Cairns by Geraint Evans, his special adviser. It was also copied to Richard Minshull - the director of the Welsh Conservatives - and another member of staff"

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50302173
  • Options

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?

I got her vote.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

"Months later, on 2 August 2018, an email was sent to Mr Cairns by Geraint Evans, his special adviser. It was also copied to Richard Minshull - the director of the Welsh Conservatives - and another member of staff"

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50302173
    I am aware of that email. I mentioned it explicitly in my first response to you.

What I want to see is what the Judge wrote or emailed to Cairns.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I'm sure we haven't yet reached the full depths of incompetence that our politicians of all parties are capable of.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,774
    Jonathan said:

I think I have some kind of condition which means I tend to see optimistic scenarios for the Labour party at all times - what particularly about the tone gives you that impression?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I get the sense there isn't an appetite for a massive Tory majority of 150 seats or whatever. If people aren't going to vote Labour, the only real alternative is to vote LD, but at the same time Jo Swinson's campaign so far hasn't exactly made a huge impact on the electorate.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    What’s wrong with it? It looks nice enough on street view (assuming I got the right one).
    The Old Hall is alright.

Thing is, looking at that Rightmove house and then seeing the comments people are making, makes me kind of wonder about what planet they are living on. You can find houses of that size, style and condition in every single town across the Midlands and the North and I daresay many places in the South as well.

Yes it may be old fashioned and it may be a bit dilapidated but there are hundreds of thousands of people living in such houses and very happy with it. I have a fair few friends who would be pretty pissed at someone taking the piss out of a house like that.

I honestly do wonder if people have any idea sometimes.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jonathan said:

I appreciate you are a Labour supporter but I honestly think the only way things can get better for your party is after a big defeat.

I'm no fan of Labour (which might not come as a surprise :-) ) but was perfectly happy when Blair won, but this bunch?

Honestly, they make me very nervous about the future.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

I get the sense there isn't an appetite for a massive Tory majority of 150 seats or whatever. If people aren't going to vote Labour, the only real alternative is to vote LD, but at the same time Jo Swinson's campaign so far hasn't exactly made a huge impact on the electorate.
    Boris would probably bite your arm off for a majority of any kind right now, let alone 150! It's going to be close.
  • Options

Perha

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

I went there for a wedding .
    So where was the worst?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    The Old Hall is alright.

Thing is, looking at that Rightmove house and then seeing the comments people are making, makes me kind of wonder about what planet they are living on. You can find houses of that size, style and condition in every single town across the Midlands and the North and I daresay many places in the South as well.

Yes it may be old fashioned and it may be a bit dilapidated but there are hundreds of thousands of people living in such houses and very happy with it. I have a fair few friends who would be pretty pissed at someone taking the piss out of a house like that.

I worked in Lincs for a while. The reason a 4 bed house is so cheap in Gainsborough is very simple. No one wants to live there. It is supply and demand.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I think I have some kind of condition which means I tend to see optimistic scenarios for the Labour party at all times - what particularly about the tone gives you that impression?
    Yeah my feeling is that Labour are still setting the agenda and getting much greater cut-through on the mainstream news than the Tories, who are still mainly absent. That said, whether people like what they see is another matter...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

He was the Lib Dems candidate in Hampstead a couple of elections back. I was one of the few voting for him. The wrong year to be a Lib Dems candidate, sadly. A big loss to Parliament.

And, yes, that thread is outstanding.
    It's a pity he wasn't the LD candidate in 2010 when the party came within 850 votes of winning the seat.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I appreciate you are a Labour supporter but I honestly think the only way things can get better for your party is after a big defeat.

I'm no fan of Labour (which might not come as a surprise :-) ) but was perfectly happy when Blair won, but this bunch?

The thing is I am not sure even that will change the current direction of the Labour Party. The membership is much harder left and you see how the Maomentum outriders attack the moderate types like Watson.
  • Options
    The Telegraph this evening are reporting that four former Labour MPs are now urging voters to vote Tory. Three of them former Ministers/frontbenchers. I know Woodcock and Austin are two of them. Any idea who the other two are?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    A village famous for domestic straight talking, dogged determination and domestic violence.

It's also the birthplace of Sir Geoffrey Boycott,

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Gainsborough's not great. Goole is worse. But tbh the Gurnos Estate and similar places at the top of the Valleys are much more difficult than either. I have no idea how you even start improving life for people there.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?

I got her vote.
    You only wanted her for her vote? You cad, Sir!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Perha

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

I went there for a wedding .
    So where was the worst?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    The Old Hall is alright.

snip

I worked in Lincs for a while. The reason a 4 bed house is so cheap in Gainsborough is very simple. No one wants to live there. It is supply and demand.
    That's often my point on here when people start boring on about London house prices, saying you get similar in X, Y, Z for a fraction of the price. Of course you can: location, location, location. The reason London is expensive is that millions of people want to live here.
  • Options

That thread really nails it, dissecting the 'whataboutery' with surgical precision.
    It really is a powerful thread
  • Options

That's seriously committed knocking-up, Nick.
  • Options

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

The thing is I am not sure even that will change the current direction of the Labour Party. The membership is much harder left and you see how the Maomentum outriders attack the moderate types like Watson.
    I certainly have a new found respect for Kinnock who took the fight to these poisonous arseholes.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

So where was the worst?

Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    The Old Hall is alright.

Without going all Monty Python Yorkshireman I can imagine what the older generations of my family (pretty much all miners, wives of miners or children of miners) would have said about this place:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65420835.html
  • Options

The Telegraph this evening are reporting that four former Labour MPs are now urging voters to vote Tory. Three of them former Ministers/frontbenchers. I know Woodcock and Austin are two of them. Any idea who the other two are?

Quite a few former Tory MPs are urging voters to vote Lib Dem.
  • Options

That's often my point on here when people start boring on about London house prices, saying you get similar in X, Y, Z for a fraction of the price. Of course you can: location, location, location. The reason London is expensive is that millions of people want to live here.

But whisper it very quietly.

The train journey for me into the centre of London is 75 minutes. That is a lot less than many commutes from the Home Counties. And yet I was able to buy a 5 bedroom 17th century grade 2 listed farmhouse with 3 acres of land for £450K. It would cost me twice that amount to buy similar down in the commuter belt. I regularly go into London in the evening to go to a show or a gig. But when I get back I am in the middle of the countryside.

The obsession with living close to London is just plain dumb.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It's quite a merry-go-round. All we need now are some LDs telling people to vote Tory or Lbour.
  • Options

Andrew said:

If they were sure of their legal grounds, they wouldn't refuse to discuss the reason for closure with the punter. It is something they all do, and reveals just how flaky the practice is.

In Spain a group of punters took them to the courts and won (on consumer law iirc, it was seen as unjustified discrimination).

What really gets me about the UK bookmaking approach is that while anyone suspected of winning will soon have near-zero limits, if they think you're an addict ….. the limits get raised, free trips to sports events, etc etc.
    It's why I view the 'responsible gambling' propaganda with complete cynicism. The major bookies engineer a situation where only mugs are permitted to bet, and then pretend to be helping those mugs to lose their money 'responsibly'.
    I've been amused by the emails from various bookies telling me that it is 'Responsible Gambling Week'. Presumably the other 51 weeks of the year are supposed to be dedicated to irresponsible gambling.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Missing my point entirely. I was asking who they were. Nothing more. If you don't know the answer why bother making the comment?
  • Options

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Gainsborough's not great. Goole is worse. But tbh the Gurnos Estate and similar places at the top of the Valleys are much more difficult than either. I have no idea how you even start improving life for people there.
    Goole's okay IMO, not affluent like Howden but still respectable.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It is going to be a fun election. I know many people forecast that Brexit would rip the parties in half, but I do not think anyone expected the process to get underway when an election was called.

Clearly, we live in interesting times......... :D
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

There's a reason for that.

Jo Swinson.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Tom Harris and I think Lord Mann
  • Options

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Yeah my feeling is that Labour are still setting the agenda and getting much greater cut-through on the mainstream news than the Tories, who are still mainly absent. That said, whether people like what they see is another matter...
    My impression is that Labour's campaign is going nowhere, but it's early days.
  • Options

If we're talking about former Labour MPs, there must be a lot more than four. But I'm interested to know who these particular ones are.
  • Options

For the duration of this election campaign, Richard, would you mind referring to it by its proper name? It's the Borisograph. The Telegraph is what people called it when it was a newspaper.
  • Options

But whisper it very quietly.

The train journey for me into the centre of London is 75 minutes. That is a lot less than many commutes from the Home Counties. And yet I was able to buy a 5 bedroom 17th century grade 2 listed farmhouse with 3 acres of land for £450K. It would cost me twice that amount to buy similar down in the commuter belt. I regularly go into London in the evening to go to a show or a gig. But when I get back I am in the middle of the countryside.

The obsession with living close to London is just plain dumb.
    Your location sounds great, and you are not too far from where I was brought up. But I need to be in town four mornings a week – which would be very expensive were I to super-commute.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I've never found anywhere in this country to be as rough as it's supposed to be, although I haven't visited the Thamesmead area yet, where some of the famous scenes in A Clockwork Orange were filmed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If we're talking about former Labour MPs, there must be a lot more than four. But I'm interested to know who these particular ones are.
    That was my point. The way it is phrased (calling them senior ex MPs) makes it sound like they are all in the same boat as Austin. Trouble is with the Telegraph they could be referring to someone like Gisela Stuart who hasn't been a Labour MP for 2 years. That would have a very different complexion to Austin and Woodcock.
  • Options
    I didn't realize that the guy behind the Titania McGrath parody twitter account is the former co-writer of the stuff for Jonathan Pie.
  • Options

Foxy said:

It is going to be a fun election. I know many people forecast that Brexit would rip the parties in half, but I do not think anyone expected the process to get underway when an election was called.

To be fair I am not sure that much of the Labour 'ripping' is to do with Brexit. Looking at the comments being made by those resigning the same would have applied whatever the election as long as current Labour (non Brexit related) infighting was ongoing.

Johnson may turn out to be one of Bonaparte's favourite sorts of generals.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    edited November 2019

Foxy said:

Missing my point entirely. I was asking who they were. Nothing more. If you don't know the answer why bother making the comment?
    Foxy has a whole cupboard full of kites, shapes and sizes to suit most circumstances
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Well said. It's very hard to see what Labour could offer that would have the necessary effect. They require a dementia tax style manifesto error of epic proportions from the Tories, and I just can't see the Conservatives making the same blunder twice.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

AndyJS said:

That was my point. The way it is phrased (calling them senior ex MPs) makes it sound like they are all in the same boat as Austin. Trouble is with the Telegraph they could be referring to someone like Gisela Stuart who hasn't been a Labour MP for 2 years. That would have a very different complexion to Austin and Woodcock.
    Harris and Michael McCann are the other two.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Well said. It's very hard to see what Labour could offer that would have the necessary effect. They require a dementia tax style manifesto error of epic proportions from the Tories, and I just can't see the Conservatives making the same blunder twice.
    So far they are giving it a good go!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I can! But I hope not.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I've never found anywhere in this country to be as rough as it's supposed to be, although I haven't visited the Thamesmead area yet, where some of the famous scenes in A Clockwork Orange were filmed.

In every other case, I'd agree. But I found Fitzwilliam was worse than it was supposed to be.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

The other two are Tom Harris & Michael McCann, both ceased to be MPs in 2015.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Harris and Michael McCann are the other two.
    Cheers sir.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Cheers. So as I suspected some Telegraph slight of hand involved.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Foxy said:

Oh for some boring competence! Do you think we’ll ever have a party making such an offering again?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

So far they are giving it a good go!
    Nah, that's just noise and standard dodgy MP stuff. I'm talking about manifesto commitments that people think will actually hit them in the pocket. Unless there's some of that, it's a Tory win by 50-80 seats.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Harris is hardly surprising. I've never heard of McCann.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govey, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raab-oodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold Milk-Plus, milk plus GM Soya or Corn Syrup or Chlorinated Chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old No-Deal Brexit."
  • Options

AndyJS said:

"There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govey, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raab-oodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold Milk-Plus, milk plus GM Soya or Corn Syrup or Chlorinated Chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old No-Deal Brexit."
    Superb.
  • Options
    Fairfield, Croydon

Lab 849
    Con 536
    LD 397
    Green 237
    WEP 40
    Ind 23

Lab hold

CORNWALL Wadebridge West

Ind 552
    Con 494
    LD 250
    Green 123
    Ind 13

Ind gain from LD

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Oh for some boring competence! Do you think we’ll ever have a party making such an offering again?
    Yes I do.

Unfortunately, the existing stupidity has to run its course first and it may be an expensive lesson. If Labour does not split in half, I expect it to be the first to recover. I expect Boris to win enough of a victory that the halfwits in the Conservative Party feel they can carry on. Once a serious / sensible Labour leader is elected then the game will be up for the dolts / talentless / halfwits *

( * Delete as appropriate )
  • Options
    Mysterious hacker dumps database of infamous IronMarch neo-nazi forum

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mysterious-hacker-dumps-database-of-infamous-ironmarch-neo-nazi-forum/
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,600
    edited November 2019

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

So where was the worst?

Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    The Old Hall is alright.

Without going all Monty Python Yorkshireman I can imagine what the older generations of my family (pretty much all miners, wives of miners or children of miners) would have said about this place:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65420835.html
    The owner has impressively managed to knock 17k off the value since 2009 (when house prices were at a low). Renting to a benefit claimant with a load of kids will do that. A skip and a few thousand quid would sort that house out no problem.

I used to live in Stoke, where terraced houses could be picked up for £25k, and they were sound houses in decent neighbourhoods. Of course, NuLab tried to demolish loads of them during the disastrous Pathfinder initiative.
  • Options

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Gave the world Sir Geoffrey though.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

I have been pondering this. I wonder if Chuka might be the face of popular boring competence, years down the line, after we have long left the EU? PM Boris has been forced to resign having been revealed to be an overspending, vanity bridge-obsessed clown with a viagra addiction; Opposition leader Laura Pidcock's policy of creating a political union with Venezuela has proved strangely unpopular with the electorate. By 2024 I reckon we will all be ready for something middle of the road.

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    AndyJS said:

Indeed. I live in Kingstanding. (In bottom 5% of areas by deprivation.) It's actually quite nice. (Though that fact hides not a little misery.) I find some of the inner-city terraced streets more depressing - I can understand why there was such a push to demolish them from 1930-1970.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited November 2019

AndyJS said:

Harris is hardly surprising. I've never heard of McCann.
    Harris writes for the Telegraph, seems to fit in rather well. The shocking thing is that he was a Labour MP at all although maybe he has been on a journey....

Although Austin and Woodcock are hardly surprising either, Woodcock was standing as the Labour candidate supporting the Conservative for prime minister at the last election. Now that he isn't the Labour candidate and the new Labour candidate probably won't offer to vote for the Conservatives to run the country it makes sense to just directly vote Conservative.

Edit: No clue on McCann either, I always like the McSomething type surnames though!
  • Options

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Gave the world Sir Geoffrey though.
    I very much doubt he goes back much.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Report from Iowa.

Our taxi driver said he hopes Trump wins because he doesn't like Obamacare or any of the Democrats, they're either old or women or gay. He voted for Clinton once.

I saw three lawn signs: one Buttigieg, one Yang, one Gabbard.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    rcs1000 said:

Report from Iowa.

Our taxi driver said he hopes Trump wins because he doesn't like Obamacare or any of the Democrats, they're either old or women or gay. He voted for Clinton once.

I saw three lawn signs: one Buttigieg, one Yang, one Gabbard.

I dont think dems are or should be going after the sexist or homophobic or even ageist vote.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    AndyJS said:

I visited Shankill Road and Falls road in Belfast one weekend....they were pretty feisty
  • Options
    Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

Indeed. I live in Kingstanding. (In bottom 5% of areas by deprivation.) It's actually quite nice. (Though that fact hides not a little misery.) I find some of the inner-city terraced streets more depressing - I can understand why there was such a push to demolish them from 1930-1970.
    The area around Winson Green prison is supposed to be rough but I don't think it is really.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Tonight's Croydon result very much in line with the london poll
    Cornwall a shocker for the LDs
  • Options
    Dadge said:

AndyJS said:

I quite liked living in a terraced inner city neighbourhood. I would happily do so again if downsizing. I did rent one grim place in London for a year. Freezing in winter, dreadful plumbing and above a takeaway, but cheap. One of the other rooms was rented to a prostitute, but she was no trouble, apart from having to answer the door late at night.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Tonight's Croydon result very much in line with the london poll
    Cornwall a shocker for the LDs

Could be local factors at play in the Cornwall one? Is the Ind an ex-LD, for example?
This discussion has been closed.