Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The spread markets the Tories down a touch but still heading f

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    eek said:

I guess Roger has never been to Hartlepool. There are a few places that are lovely (The Headland for 1) but it does take ages to escape Hartlepool from there.

I went there for a wedding a few years ago, on a ship permanently moored in the harbour. The harbour area was pretty nice, like a lot of refurbished ports. Going inland suited me as there were loads of takeaways, but I didn't around enough for a serious impression. Certainly not the worst place I've been to.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Pulpstar said:

CCHQ aren't messing around this election.

Is that two or three now for the Tories? How many before misfortune becomes carelessness?

Are we going to need a running total for each party?
    Yes, I suspect we will! Nominations close in a week.
  • Options

eek said:

I guess Roger has never been to Hartlepool. There are a few places that are lovely (The Headland for 1) but it does take ages to escape Hartlepool from there.

I went there for a wedding a few years ago, on a ship permanently moored in the harbour. The harbour area was pretty nice, like a lot of refurbished ports. Going inland suited me as there were loads of takeaways, but I didn't around enough for a serious impression. Certainly not the worst place I've been to.
    So where was the worst?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andrew said:

Alistair said:

I dabbled a little in Sharbing as there was a bookies on the ground floor of my tenament.

Nowadays they have automated image recognition on shop punters, or handwriting recognition on the slips, so as to ban any potential winners asap.
    I only won in the shop once. One of the joys of Sharbing is you often look like a mug.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Ever been to Gainsborough?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Edward Timpson, former MP for Crewe and Nantwich, wins Eddisbury selection, majority 23.2%

I remember Edward Timpson being pilloried for being a "toff" by labour activists when:

a) he was a standing in a town where the most important employer is a firm that makes products for toffs; and
    b) He's part of a family firm that is the epitome of responsible capitalism, promoting social justice and succeeding in delivering social justice whilst simultaneously making a profit

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Paging Big_G_NorthWales,

Any information on Cllr Robin Millar of Suffolk, who it seems will fight Aberconwy for the Tories.

Is there any particular reason why Aberconwy is being represented by someone who apparently calls himself robin4suffolk ?

He is from Bangor and has a home in Bethesda as well as in the south

He was born in the constituency and stood for Arfon in 2010

I assume he will return to his constituency if elected
    Is Robin Millar by any chance related to Darren Millar, the Tory AM for Clwyd West ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    egg said:

camel said:

egg said:

camel said:

Cookie said:

Another Labour PPC gone for anti-Semitism. The party is riddled with it.

So what's that so far? Three for views on the Jews (Cov S, Pudsey and Gordon?) and one for death threats to people deemed insufficiently in favour of transsexuals (Edin SW)? Plus the candidate in Bassetlaw forced out for not being extreme enough? Is that right?
    Are Cov South and Pudsey confirmed binnings, or are they still on the ropes?
    The candidate in Pudsey's comments were hardly egregious. In the clip I heard she absolutely didn't make the comparison between celebrating the death of Blair and Hitler.

Overblown.
    It’s an election. Everything will be like an Arm after a flu jab.

8 years ago on social media they liked a fantastic goal, but that was scored by the evil rivals of the constituency they delighted last week to be selected for, in this febrile bubble once that like is discovered they’re toast. 😏
    There was a 12 second gap before she came up with Hitler.

I like to imagine she was going to say "yeah we had a proper piss up when thatcher died", had second thoughts and conjured up hitler, an individual whose reputation it is literally impossible to traduce.
    Even Hitler had a cult following.

But yeah, lots of young people who weren’t even born till the nineties had a piss up and dance with the munchkins when Thatch died. They weren’t even around to see how she was the outstanding politician of her era, ran a tight ship and bestrode the commons.

So where did they get all that?
    I find Thatcher veneration and hatred really bizarre from people my age and younger. I'd expect a certain level of admiration or vitriol from politically inclined people even if they were not around at the time, but the level of the passion on both sides of it is just plain creepy in its intensity.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1192562371274969088

Looks as if Nick Conrad has been given the heave ho.

If it is somebody that I would never consider campaigning for, then they should no longer be a candidate.

Just ask me CCHQ. He'd have been gone in 30 seconds.

I wouldn't campaign for Alun Cairns either.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    camel said:

Edward Timpson, former MP for Crewe and Nantwich, wins Eddisbury selection, majority 23.2%

I remember Edward Timpson being pilloried for being a "toff" by labour activists when:

a) he was a standing in a town where the most important employer is a firm that makes products for toffs; and
    b) He's part of a family firm that is the epitome of responsible capitalism, promoting social justice and succeeding in delivering social justice whilst simultaneously making a profit

He is the tory equivalent of norman lamb.
  • Options
    Looks like Labour are having their own problems. https://theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/07/labour-candidate-kate-ramsden-steps-down-israel-comparison
    I had heard of the last two, but not the first.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?
  • Options

Paging Big_G_NorthWales,

Any information on Cllr Robin Millar of Suffolk, who it seems will fight Aberconwy for the Tories.

Is there any particular reason why Aberconwy is being represented by someone who apparently calls himself robin4suffolk ?

He is from Bangor and has a home in Bethesda as well as in the south

He was born in the constituency and stood for Arfon in 2010

I assume he will return to his constituency if elected
    Is Robin Millar by any chance related to Darren Millar, the Tory AM for Clwyd West ?
    I have known Darren for years but I do not know of any connection
  • Options
    The fear with getting rid of these terrible candidates has to be that with such short notice someone even worse gets put in instead.
  • Options

He was asking for it.
    Is there some sort of competition going on for which Party can make the most cock-ups in the first week of the campaign?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

I’m buying the Conservatives and selling the Lib Dems at current prices. I have,however, moved to Spreadex given that Sporting Index has severely restricted my stakes and are not prepared to move on that.

You can draw your own conclusions about the ethics of a market-making company with substantial spreads that seeks to deter punters with good track records but who will take large stakes from others.

Ditto Victor Chandler, who banned me for winning too much; and Paddy Power, who restricted my max stake to peanuts.
    They all do it, Stuart. Any Party which promises to outlaw this iniquitous practice gets my vote immediately.
    The majority of bookies have banned or limited me, but I'd have to say it's up to them really - you can't force someone to take your bet.
  • Options
    camel said:

I've only read a little on Timpsons, they seem like a very interesting company.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The Lib Dems don’t have to do much to look like the sane alternatives to Labour and the Tories .

Does anyone know what happens if say a candidate is officially chosen and we get past the final date for nominations and they then turn out to be as terrible as some of the recent examples . What can the parties do then .
  • Options
    Here's Roger Godsiff "delicious"'s letter about leaving Labour and standing as Independent.

https://twitter.com/stanchers/status/1192552777563693056?s=20
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    What’s wrong with it? It looks nice enough on street view (assuming I got the right one).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    camel said:

BBC coverage from 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7417291.stm
  • Options

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?
    Not had that pleasure. Coalville, I know well.
  • Options

Here's Roger Godsiff "delicious"'s letter about leaving Labour and standing as Independent.

If it isn't the Jews it's the gays conspiring against you, eh?
  • Options
    olmolm Posts: 125
    ydoethur said:

I note that the Liberal Democrats are standing down for the Greens in Cannock Chase.

I think this is probably for a number of reasons. First off, in 2017 the Greens were ahead of the Liberal Democrats. Admittedly, it was by 815 to 794 but as Churchill said, a majority of one is a majority. Second, the Liberal Democrat organisation round here is only just emerging from years of being effectively moribund. They also hadn’t picked their candidate afaik. Meanwhile the Greens are small, but well-organised, vocal and prominent. They also have in Paul Woodhead a local candidate who will be standing in his third election. Third, the obvious Liberal Democrat targets are all in Birmingham and that is where they will doubtless want to focus local energy (unless they take leave of their senses and target Lichfield and Sutton Coldfield).

At the same time, I think it’s an error. I would have voted Liberal Democrat without a qualm, but I am almost certainly not going to vote Green, less because of their views than because they have nothing useful to say on a national level. So it is not going to have he effect they hoped.

It also leaves me with an extremely difficult decision to make.

Having Green MPs or even a greater Green vote at an election (in a seat or nationally) has a huge impact - win or lose - the greater the Green vote the greater the elevation of issues of transport, air pollution, climate change, and biodiversity.

We should not take for granted the benefits of sustainability research, technology, regulations, and understanding (in the EU, UK and globally) which is a result of significant low level Green pressure.

if we look back it was significant that even Thatcher responded to Green votes (albeit losses) by paying lip service to acid rain, but in a way which substantially contribution to dealing with that issues indeed.

Green movement(s) undoubtledly change(s) the narrative, including Green Party, Greenpheace and XR, or Wildlife Trusts.
  • Options

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    There was one patch in North London which really looked like a bombsite - crumbling brickwork everywhere, rubbish on the streets, dodgy blokes on street corners. I was going round with Steve Pound, who cheerfully reported that one voter had said "Mum's not in, she's just popped down to the crack house".

I thought that Glasgow tenements would be rough, but actually they were comparatively fine. The voters there were courteous to this obvious southerner trying to get them to vote Labour, though a lot politely said they weren't bothering. One was clearly a prostitute (scantily clad and greeted me "Come in darling") - I explained and she was intrigued and said that if I hung on a minute she'd get her coat and give it a try, did it cost anything? We walked over to the nearby polling centre and she went in to try democracy out - an enjoyable perversion she'd never done before.
  • Options
    Good evening from Sheffield Hilton on the Quays. I am watching with fascination the River Don gauge at Meadowhall as it creeps towards its highest ever (2007) level https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/8090

Meanwhile, here is the video of the river overtopping the defence walls of the road across the river from Meadowhall https://twitter.com/TomPressPhotog/status/1192552287044087810

Not good. This is a disaster of a flood. In the run up to Christmas. At the start of the election campaign. Will it have an impact? Another example of the cost of everything / value of nothing Tories failing to invest in defences...?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    So much for a daily YouGov/Sky poll then! :D
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

nichomar said:

AndyJS said:

Let's remind ourselves of Labour's 1983 manifesto:

http://www.labour-party.org.uk/manifestos/1983/1983-labour-manifesto.shtml

Hmmm...

On taking office we will open preliminary negotiations with the other EEC member states to establish a timetable for withdrawal; and we will publish the results of these negotiations in a White Paper. In addition, as soon as possible after the House assembles, we will introduce a Repeal Bill: first, in order to amend the 1972 European Communities Act, ending the powers of the Community in the UK; and second, to provide the necessary powers to repeal the 1972 Act, when the negotiations on withdrawal are completed.

Following the publication of the White Paper, we will begin the main negotiations on withdrawal. Later, when appropriate and in the same parliament, we will use our powers to repeal the 1972 Act and abrogate the Treaty of Accession - thus breaking all of our formal links with the Community. Britain will at this point withdraw from the Council of Ministers and from the European Parliament.

There will need to be a period of transition, to ensure a minimum of disruption - and to phase in any new agreements we might make with the Community. This will enable us to make all the necessary changes in our domestic legislation. Until these changes in UK law have taken place, the status quo as regards particular items of EEC legislation will remain. And this period will, of course, extend beyond the date when we cease, formally, to be members.
    Thank goodness there are no parties offering anything that batshit crazy this time eh!
    It’s all bat shit crazy, no informed analytical debate, parties going to the extremes. For what? a referendum designed to reduce the ukip threat and nothing else?
    The country is going completely to shit. I am voting Labour because I hope they will soften or stop Brexit, and because I support a lot of their other policies, but I don't trust the judgement of the leadership at all. If the Tories weren't even worse I might think twice about voting Labour, but in the current circumstances they're the lesser of two evils for me.
    And they aren't going to get a majority anyway so even though Corbyn might, possibly, be PM he will be a prisoner of the LDs and smaller parties. I guess they would insist on ref 2 and VONC Labour immediately after it had been held.
    Rumours of VONCs have been highly exaggerated.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I’m buying the Conservatives and selling the Lib Dems at current prices. I have,however, moved to Spreadex given that Sporting Index has severely restricted my stakes and are not prepared to move on that.

You can draw your own conclusions about the ethics of a market-making company with substantial spreads that seeks to deter punters with good track records but who will take large stakes from others.

Ditto Victor Chandler, who banned me for winning too much; and Paddy Power, who restricted my max stake to peanuts.
    They all do it, Stuart. Any Party which promises to outlaw this iniquitous practice gets my vote immediately.
    The majority of bookies have banned or limited me, but I'd have to say it's up to them really - you can't force someone to take your bet.
    It's the operation of a cartel that is offensive, and quite possibly illegal too, if you could prove it.

If they were sure of their legal grounds, they wouldn't refuse to discuss the reason for closure with the punter. It is something they all do, and reveals just how flaky the practice is.

There is also the question of misleading advertising. If you can't win, their claims are false, and if they close down successful punters, they cannot lose and you cannot win.

I think they are really pushing their luck, but they are exceedingly well represented in Parliament, so not much hope of a change in the law.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    What’s wrong with it? It looks nice enough on street view (assuming I got the right one).
    The Old Hall is alright.

Great value housing. 4 beds for £25 000...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/75323617
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    GIN1138 said:

I think the confusion is because they called it a tracker . Which made one think it was perhaps a daily poll.
  • Options
    A New York judge has ordered President Donald Trump to pay $2m (£1.6m) for misusing funds from his charity to finance his 2016 political campaign.
  • Options

So that' s two resignations now doen to issues with Transsexuals - one insufficiently keen on them, one too keen on them. Are transsexual-relatef resignations ahead of views on Jews now?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    oddest vox pop from Leeds on BBC News tonight. No insight.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

camel said:

BBC coverage from 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7417291.stm
    Of course there's the old joke about never getting your keys cut at Timpsons, but they are good people.
  • Options

Says he supported parents having a say, not a veto. Could have fooled me that's what the parents wanted.
  • Options

A New York judge has ordered President Donald Trump to pay $2m (£1.6m) for misusing funds from his charity to finance his 2016 political campaign.

Isn't that two small loans?
  • Options

eek said:

They could live in a mansion on Wynyard Hall. Close enough to Pools for Brexit chompers not to care
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Conrad steps down

He finally learnt to take no for an answer, then.
    lol :)
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Andrew said:
    Just in case a centrist Dem doesn't make it?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?
    I once played rugby against Coalville 3rd XV. An odder collection of shapes and sizes I have never come across. Nice fellas, mind.
  • Options

Well done, Araminta, who alerted us quickly to this feckwit.

Would it not be easy for pb to offer this as a paid service to all the parties?

It seems the combined efforts of pb.com can easily sniff out the anti-semitic ravings of candidates, their past criminal behaviour, their previous membership of semi-fascist organisations, their lunatic postings on Facebook, the people they beat up in a nightclub five years ago, their connections to foreign intelligence organisations and so.

Before the name of a candidate is finally released to the public, we receive the name 24 hours earlier. We carry out the vetting service & advise the parties.

For a generous fee, of course.
    The parties would be MAD not to take us up on that.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

That does make a Sandbach upset less likely. Timpson was one of the few decent Conservative MPs before he lost his seat.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Cookie said:

So that' s two resignations now doen to issues with Transsexuals - one insufficiently keen on them, one too keen on them. Are transsexual-relatef resignations ahead of views on Jews now?
    These ex Labour MPs running as independents really want that leaving bonus dont they. Such socialists.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

If they were sure of their legal grounds, they wouldn't refuse to discuss the reason for closure with the punter. It is something they all do, and reveals just how flaky the practice is.

In Spain a group of punters took them to the courts and won (on consumer law iirc, it was seen as unjustified discrimination).

What really gets me about the UK bookmaking approach is that while anyone suspected of winning will soon have near-zero limits, if they think you're an addict ….. the limits get raised, free trips to sports events, etc etc.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The Lib Dems don’t have to do much to look like the sane alternatives to Labour and the Tories .

Does anyone know what happens if say a candidate is officially chosen and we get past the final date for nominations and they then turn out to be as terrible as some of the recent examples . What can the parties do then .

Well on recent evidence I should say the most likely outcome is that they elect them as Leader.
  • Options
    Apparently until the last bailout, WeWork had so little operating capital they couldn't afford to fire their own employees....it makes the two last owners of Bury FC look like business gurus.
  • Options
    Andrew said:
    I think I had a quid on him at ridiculous odds last time, just in case.
  • Options

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    There was one patch in North London which really looked like a bombsite - crumbling brickwork everywhere, rubbish on the streets, dodgy blokes on street corners. I was going round with Steve Pound, who cheerfully reported that one voter had said "Mum's not in, she's just popped down to the crack house".

I thought that Glasgow tenements would be rough, but actually they were comparatively fine. The voters there were courteous to this obvious southerner trying to get them to vote Labour, though a lot politely said they weren't bothering. One was clearly a prostitute (scantily clad and greeted me "Come in darling") - I explained and she was intrigued and said that if I hung on a minute she'd get her coat and give it a try, did it cost anything? We walked over to the nearby polling centre and she went in to try democracy out - an enjoyable perversion she'd never done before.
    The worst place I’ve been was Ulaanbaatar. Walking down the street was made more exciting than usual as all the manhole covers had been stolen for scrap.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Seems like it

Sky are getting carried away with themselves in many ways
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

oddest vox pop from Leeds on BBC News tonight. No insight.

Can't stand vox pops.

Now let's ask some normal people people what they make of these incredible complex issues.

Cue (inexplicably) the tripe stall in Bury Market. Because that's representative of the North.
  • Options
    The Conrad/Cairns contrast is bad for the Tories. Conrad was crass, and it was right he went to avoid further embarrassment (amazing they didn't Google him prior to approval - it was a well publicised case).

But Cairns was FAR worse - utterly cavalier attitude to blatant sabotage of a rape trial, and quite brazenly lying. Inescapable that he got a pass as a Cabinet Minister to ride it out, while Conrad was ditched for much less.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2019
    Cookie said:

twitter.com/stanchers/status/1192552777563693056?s=20

I have never understood why some folk get so worked up over trans people.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

That does make a Sandbach upset less likely. Timpson was one of the few decent Conservative MPs before he lost his seat.
    I used to live in Newcastle under Lyme, lots of my colleagues lived in C & N and the Timpsons were hugely respected people. They fostered hundreds of children over the years.

That Labour campaign in the by-election was utterly shameful, and the trouncing they got was richly deserved. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    I know referring to female presenters’ dress is dangerous territory, but Emma Barnett on Newsnight certainly made an unusual choice tonight.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

If it isn't the Jews it's the gays conspiring against you, eh?
    I would advise gay Jews to avoid Godsiff.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Andrew said:
    JFC.

Why couldn't @AlastairMeeks have given us a heads up on this to top up our Betfair accounts.

Getting the pre warns from antifrank in 2016 was repeatedly profitable.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I know referring to female presenters’ dress is dangerous territory, but Emma Barnett on Newsnight certainly made an unusual choice tonight.

So you are the one viewer they get these days...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Worst place? You can't beat some of those ex pit villages in South Yorkshire where I come from. Pebbledash, stray dogs, everybody either really thin or really fat. Nothing replaced the mines.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    Luxurious.

Ever been to WIthernsea?

Foxy said:

eek said:

So where was the worst?
    The Old Hall is alright.

Great value housing. 4 beds for £25 000...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/75323617
    The kitchen is really something.

I can imagine an obese person getting stuck.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2019
    The Stourbridge Conservative Association.
    The newly selected candidate is the blonde woman towards the centre. I am not sure some of the others are old enough to vote.

• Options
    Andrew said:

In Spain a group of punters took them to the courts and won (on consumer law iirc, it was seen as unjustified discrimination).

What really gets me about the UK bookmaking approach is that while anyone suspected of winning will soon have near-zero limits, if they think you're an addict ….. the limits get raised, free trips to sports events, etc etc.
    It's why I view the 'responsible gambling' propaganda with complete cynicism. The major bookies engineer a situation where only mugs are permitted to bet, and then pretend to be helping those mugs to lose their money 'responsibly'.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:
    I think I had a quid on him at ridiculous odds last time, just in case.
    He repeatedly got as low as 40/1 last time. I laid and backed him several times.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Does that mean the tories dont think they can win back Crewe? Because he would be their best bet of winning it back. And if they cant win crewe back, can tories get a majority.
    No. They only need to convince 25 voters to change their minds to win it back.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019

alb1on said:

I used to live in Newcastle under Lyme, lots of my colleagues lived in C & N and the Timpsons were hugely respected people. They fostered hundreds of children over the years.

That Labour campaign in the by-election was utterly shameful, and the trouncing they got was richly deserved. Good luck to him.
    That is my experience. By total chance, i was actually in crewe the day after the 2017 GE and everybody i spoke to (and lots of whom i would never put down as natural Tory voters and had little good to say about May) were seriously pissed he had lost his seat.
  • Options
    This is sensible from Mark pack over the impact of other parties standing down so there is only one pro remain contender in individual seats. You cannot just take things as they are when making calculations as everybody else seems to be doing

https://twitter.com/markpack/status/1192561080624697345?s=19
  • Options
    Good news in Sheffield. #floodwatch shows the Don at Meadowhall now seemingly topped out at 4.5m. Still massively damaging but not heading past 2007's record 4.68m
  • Options
    MASSIVELY important thread from MaajidNawaz detailing why Labour's anti-semitism is a disaster not only for them but for politics. We cannot allow this stain on our society to prosper. We cannot allow Corbyn.

"Oh I like their policies on home insulation. Yeah Jews are being harassed and persecuted but look at my energy bill drop". No.

https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1192479519929774082
  • Options
    No national polls tonight?
  • Options

alb1on said:

That is my experience. By total chance, i was actually in crewe the day after the 2017 GE and everybody i spoke to (and lots of whom i would never put down as natural Tory voters) were seriously pissed he had lost his seat.
    I met him through work a few times when he was at the DfE, and he was always excellent to deal with. Same with Halfon, to be honest.

I know teachers like to moan, but they were both committed to working with schools and making positive changes.
  • Options

MASSIVELY important thread from MaajidNawaz detailing why Labour's anti-semitism is a disaster not only for them but for politics. We cannot allow this stain on our society to prosper. We cannot allow Corbyn.

"Oh I like their policies on home insulation. Yeah Jews are being harassed and persecuted but look at my energy bill drop". No.

Ooh, have you gone over to the LDs Rochdale? I missed that.
  • Options

eek said:

So where was the worst?

One of my early canvasses in North London back in my 20s was a house where no sooner had I rung the doorbell, I was invited in and shown through into a room in which a woman was lying in her underwear on a bed with bright red sheets. When she asked what I wanted, I began to explain whereupon I was ushered out of the house with remarkable rapidity. On that occasion at least I didn’t detect any virginal interest in the democratic process.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Godsiff blaming the gays is "frankly a bit of a let-off for the Jews", claims Williamson.
  • Options

He is another who would make a great MP.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

She looks OK to me.

Interesting stat on wage growth. Worst decade for wage growth since the Napoleonic wars.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

The Conrad/Cairns contrast is bad for the Tories. Conrad was crass, and it was right he went to avoid further embarrassment (amazing they didn't Google him prior to approval - it was a well publicised case).

But Cairns was FAR worse - utterly cavalier attitude to blatant sabotage of a rape trial, and quite brazenly lying. Inescapable that he got a pass as a Cabinet Minister to ride it out, while Conrad was ditched for much less.

I don't think you can conclude that at the moment.

We don't actually have evidence of what Cairns knew when.

It is certainly possible that Ross England was economical with the truth & Cairns was too trusting of his colleague. Remember the full details of the trial have only just been made publicly available, with the dismissal of the rapist's appeal.

And on the matter of cover-ups, I see Carl Sergeant's family are back in the news, requesting that Welsh Labour tell us something of the murky events that surrounded his suicide.
  • Options

Apparently until the last bailout, WeWork had so little operating capital they couldn't afford to fire their own employees....it makes the two last owners of Bury FC look like business gurus.

Wasn't that the company where the CEOs wife demanded he fire employees because she didn't like their aura?

Surprising that they didn't make it...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Worst place? You can't beat some of those ex pit villages in South Yorkshire where I come from. Pebbledash, stray dogs, everybody either really thin or really fat. Nothing replaced the mines.

Go back and see how many housing and industrial estates have been / are getting built and the slagheaps are now country parks.

Not many thin people these days but plenty of fat though isn't that the same everywhere :wink:
  • Options
    Looking at tonight's campaigns. Who do I vote for for financial sanity? There always used to be one party not spending like a drunken sailor. No longer.
  • Options

This is sensible from Mark pack over the impact of other parties standing down so there is only one pro remain contender in individual seats. You cannot just take things as they are when making calculations as everybody else seems to be doing

The more interesting effect will be any enhanced credibility for the Alliance from electors seeing parties visibly working together.

Pack’s extra activists won’t, i suspect, make much difference.
  • Options

Not about bad apples, but about who is tending the orchard and how they deal with bad apples.

Nawaz was a candidate at the wrong time, standing in 2015 in what in other times might have been a winnable seat for the LDs.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Looking at tonight's campaigns. Who do I vote for for financial sanity? There always used to be one party not spending like a drunken sailor. No longer.

All the sailors have partaken and your job is to watch them stagger about and reach a judgement about relative insobriety.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Indeed but she is a brilliant interviewer
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    AndyJS said:

Looks like we'll have to wait until Mega Polling Saturday now!:D
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It's genuinely worrying, especially as its what people want.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Surely it reduces the spend on remain messages as there is only one allowance for the party standing in the constituency not two or three allowance as a couple of remain candidates have withdrawn.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

She looks OK to me.

Interesting stat on wage growth. Worst decade for wage growth since the Napoleonic wars.
    Watch the opening moments of the show and reach a judgement. Behind a desk it’s not so striking.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Looks like we'll have to wait until Mega Polling Saturday now!:D
    :(
  • Options
    Emma Barnett is very good at telling politicians to stop waffling, both on Radio Five Live and on Newsnight.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,605
    edited November 2019

IanB2 said:

Indeed but she is a brilliant interviewer
    She's just filleting some hapless Labour frontbencher in style.
  • Options

That thread really nails it, dissecting the 'whataboutery' with surgical precision.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Financial sanity produced an attempt to deal with funding for long term care that became known as the Dementia Tax. Are we surprised that no one wants to do that again?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Its worse than that.

The drunken sailor had earned the money he was spending.
  • Options
    Apparently Nick Timothy has come second in Stourbridge tonight for the Tory selection, after coming second yesterday in Meriden.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

For the first few days, candidates can actually withdraw. Thereafter, Nothing. They can ‘withdraw the whip’ and cut the candidate loose in advance, but the candidate remains entitled to use the party name on their literature by dint of the certification papers submitted alongside their nomination.
This discussion has been closed.