Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So, how will the LibDems do?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Ishmael_Z said:

Just a thought. Once upon a time tonight would have been Guy Fawkes night with fireworks going off all over the place. Now the ‘event’ has a) been hi-jacked by American style Halloween and b) spread out over at least two weekends.
    Sad, really.

I don't want to sound grumpy but which bit of lethally dangerous state-mandated celebration of sectarian act of torture is it that holds the quintessential appeal for you?
    Point taken. I suspect the 'state-mandated celebration' was in fact an effort by a Protestant orientated Church and State to divert peoples attention from the 'superstition-related' Halloween, itself a Christian translation of the pre-winter 'festivals' of our pagan ancestors, whether Saxon or Celtic.
    I suppose therefore we're coming full circle!
    Any comment from social historians or similar here I would find interesting.

Incidentally, a relation attended the school the late Mr Fawkes had attended almost 400 years previously and while they were allowed to have a bonfire etc, they were not allowed a guy!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

nunu2 said:

The tory lead keeps rising.
    ICM yesterday and Yougov today.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1191611249987129344

Yougov just out has the Brexit Party up 4% with the Tories and Labour down and the LDs unchanged and the Tory lead up 1%

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1191611249987129344?s=20
    deleted
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    egg said:

Just heard Swinson’s voice on LBC.
    I regret to say it came across as childishly high-pitched.

Why didn’t the LDs do some voice coaching?

To be honest that mirrors my wife's comments
    Yet they are all running away from debating her. The way you describe it Jo under pressure in a debate is the last thing libdems need in order to keep their votes.
    They’re not. It’s in Jo’s interest so she’s demanding it. It’s not in her opponents interest so they are not acceding.

That’s not “running away” it’s picking your battles
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

I doubt issues with the service on SWR will make much difference in seats like Surrey SW and Surrey Heath. It might be an issue in that Pompey seat as it’s close and the pledge to get rid of the 450s and the 3+2 seating has not been met.

You’ll know better than most but what’s to stop us having just one privatised TOC in the UK?

As a major user of trains one of my major issues is when changing TOCs on a multi leg journey when one leg has been delayed/cancelled.
    Franchising isn’t my specialty, but I guess the model is designed to keep companies interested by leasing two or three contracts each year. I’m not sure how much better connections are between trains of the same operator. I know GWR are quite good on holding long distance services for delayed local trains. But that’s probably easier at places like Plymouth compared to Manchester Piccadilly.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Big mistake by Labour and the Lib Dems allowing Johnson to get his Brexit deal immediately before calling an election. It's heavily watered down both their respective USPs. They need some new ones and they need some knocking into shape quickly.

Apart from the Labour 19, both parties voted against.
    That's true but even if it hadn't got through it still would have been agreed by the EU.. In hindsight they should have either forced an election before it was put on the table or a year or so later. As it is voters think a vote for the Tories and the deal is done and the nightmare's over.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Just a thought. Once upon a time tonight would have been Guy Fawkes night with fireworks going off all over the place. Now the ‘event’ has a) been hi-jacked by American style Halloween and b) spread out over at least two weekends.
    Sad, really.

I don't want to sound grumpy but which bit of lethally dangerous state-mandated celebration of sectarian act of torture is it that holds the quintessential appeal for you?
    Is it the prevention of a terrorist act that would have wiped out the entire ruling class and flattened 200 acres of Central London?
    It's a bit too torture-specific for that to be a runner. And do you celebrate, say, the eradication of smallpox or the end of the slave trade with the same enthusiasm, or at all?
    What does torture have to do with it? The gunpowder plot was discovered because one of the plotters tipped off Lord Monteagle that he should not attend the state opening of parliament, who passed on the warning to the government, who searched parliament and found the explosives and Fawkes.

That is the bit that is celebrated.

While it is true Fawkes was later tortured, that was to discover his co-conspirators. It came after the plot was frustrated.
    What does burning the guy represent?
    An early celebration of trolling on social media?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Off topic

Why does this matter?

This service runs through Esher & Walton (Raab), Surrey Heath (Gove) and Surrey South West (Hunt) so i wouldn’t rule out it having a political effect.

The Conservatives are going to have to do something serious about train franchising if they win this election.

It would be a very good start if they did something about driver contracts, which currently stipulate that staff are entitled to claim leave whenever it suits them and there is no effective way of refusing.

That is how London Northwestern ended up playing musical trains at New Street last Saturday - all their drivers had taken the week off.
    The trouble is the Unions have a chokehold on that.

Nationalisation offers no solutions. It would make all that even worse.
    Which is presumably why Corbyn, presented with an open goal of the approximate dimensions of the Pacific on this issue, has been unable to take advantage of it.
    Re-Nationalisation is very popular (in the properly populist sense) and Corbyn is already banging that drum.

The trouble is that he’s widely disliked and distrusted.
    He can't be trusted to rid his party of antisemitism. Why would I trust him to run the railways?
    I thought antisemites had a good record when it came to getting the trains to run on time?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

But, I did mention staff rostering - you said in your first post it’s highly likely that’s not SWR’s fault.

I’m afraid it is.

Also, you don’t seem to understand how stock leasing work. Such contracts are negotiated between the Operator and the RS company, typically for the period of the franchise, and cover the availability of a fleet with daily KPIs and availability metrics.

The immediate reason the services are often short-formed is because of a small defect in the unit (or poor maintenance) leads to them needing to take a 4-coach set out of service at the depot. It’s an issue because the franchisee (SWR) haven’t bothered to negotiate any reserve spare stock in their lease to cover the eventuality of a perturbed or degraded service.

I work in the railway industry so I do know a little bit about what I’m talking about.

A recent contrary case was with an incident (near Stirling I think) where a man turned up to a station with a knife threatening to hurt himself, and consequently delaying the Inverness to King's Cross service by about three hours.

Somehow LNER were able to find a spare train to put on a new Edinburgh to King's Cross service that left Edinburgh not much later than the scheduled Inverness to King's Cross service. This might be because they have a few extra HST sets spare as they make the transition to the new Azuma trains, but I think they ran the original Inverness train down to King's Cross, so they would have needed to find some extra train crew too.
    The train crew probably swapped at Edinburgh so the staff were already available.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Is it the prevention of a terrorist act that would have wiped out the entire ruling class and flattened 200 acres of Central London?
    It's a bit too torture-specific for that to be a runner. And do you celebrate, say, the eradication of smallpox or the end of the slave trade with the same enthusiasm, or at all?
    What does torture have to do with it? The gunpowder plot was discovered because one of the plotters tipped off Lord Monteagle that he should not attend the state opening of parliament, who passed on the warning to the government, who searched parliament and found the explosives and Fawkes.

That is the bit that is celebrated.

While it is true Fawkes was later tortured, that was to discover his co-conspirators. It came after the plot was frustrated.
    What does burning the guy represent?
    The latest incarnation of a pagan celebration thousands of years old
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Taking a step back after almost the first week of campaigning and I think Labour are clear winners so far. Corbyn's got his mojo and they have some momentum in the polls. They seem to be back into the 30's% and if the BXP keep this up, the tories will be consistently joining them there too.

The Conservatives appear to be running another shitshow election. We've heard almost nothing from them, bereft of ideas and on the one central plank of their policy Johnson has just invited Jeremy Corbyn to have the floor for the whole day.

I'm guessing the tory approach is that they're ahead so 'do nothing and say nothing'. Maybe they realise that any scrutiny will see things unravel. But this approach will lose them the election. All the running, all the eye-catching fresh ideas, are coming from Labour. It's baffling just how crap the tory election machine has become.

You may turn out to be right, but I think it's a little early to be writing off the party that leads in the polls by something like 10pts.

Corbyn wanted to spend today talking about the NHS. He will now be defending his incoherent Brexit policy,
    The Labour Brexit policy is in fact looking really rather good right now.

'The Labour leader will outline his plans for renegotiating a new deal based on a customs union with the European Union - and a referendum offering the option to vote for that agreement or Remain - in a major speech on Tuesday.'

A customs union deal vs Remain to a second referendum.

Pretty darned cool approach. Took them an aeon to reach it, but it's good.
    In my view it's nonsense.

Undermined by a couple of simple questions:

Will you campaign for your own deal in a second referendum?
    Will your cabinet?
    Why would Europe negotiate any kind of deal with you if you won't support it in a referendum?

It's ridiculous. It's one thing to threaten to walk away if you don't get a deal, quite another to threaten it if you do get a deal.

He hasn't the courage to come out for Leave or Remain. The voters know it. It's part of his toxicity.

The referendum and renegotiation is just cover for Remain. I don’t see any reason why the EU won’t support that as its ultimately what they want.
    Ah Mr Corbyn, so you are in cahoots with the EU to get a bad deal in order to get the Remain result the EU and your party want? Is that the offer to Labour Leave voters?

The policy is bonkers and doesnt stand up to the slightest scrutiny.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Lucky Johnson doesn't work for McDonalds. I saw him on TV walking with his latest squeeze yesterday. She really does look like his daughter and not just because of her age. I suppose if you're as vain as he is you'd be attracted to someone who looks like you
  • Options
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Point taken. I suspect the 'state-mandated celebration' was in fact an effort by a Protestant orientated Church and State to divert peoples attention from the 'superstition-related' Halloween, itself a Christian translation of the pre-winter 'festivals' of our pagan ancestors, whether Saxon or Celtic.
    I suppose therefore we're coming full circle!
    Any comment from social historians or similar here I would find interesting.

Incidentally, a relation attended the school the late Mr Fawkes had attended almost 400 years previously and while they were allowed to have a bonfire etc, they were not allowed a guy!
    Never considered it that way. Interesting.
    Personally, I bloody love Bonfire Night. I like to think of it as a celebration of the rejection of monarchical absolutism. But that's because I like it as a celebration per se and don't think it hurts too much to find a positive philosophical interpretation. Halloween is dressing up and Haribo and facepaints and alcopops and vandalism; Bonfire Night is walking boots and woolly hats and parkin and treacle toffee and real ale and a mildly cavalier approach to personal safety and the smell of cordite.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Next you'll be asking why Christians celebrate some bloke being tortured and nailed to a cross.

These customs and traditions don't have to make sense. Indeed the whole sense of Bonfire night has moved from celebrating the execution of anti-government religious terrorists to celebrating their opposition to authority. Perhaps that is why the authorities are now so keen for it to be edged out in place of Halloween.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911

Off topic, South Western Railway (a F*r*t Gr*up franchise) is close to breaking point.

My trains were delayed by 15-20 minutes every day last week, shortformed of 8 coaches rather than 12 at rush hour & again this morning (which is a huge deal - it’s busy enough as it is and this makes everything 50% busier. Many passengers can’t even get on the train, let alone stand on it) and their staff and stock rostering in the event of a perturbed service is appalling.

It’s pretty clear to me that Failing Grayling appointed SWR because they undercut SWT (stagecoach) in their bid. They did that by cutting out any fat in reserve stock or spare staff at major depots and junctions to save money. So, now, NR only needs to cough and the whole service gets f*cked to high-heaven.

Why does this matter?

This service runs through Esher & Walton (Raab), Surrey Heath (Gove) and Surrey South West (Hunt) so i wouldn’t rule out it having a political effect.

The Conservatives are going to have to do something serious about train franchising if they win this election.

Decades later, nobody, but nobody, can give an satisfactory answer to Christian Wolmar’s classic question: “What is franchising for?”. The most popular railways in the UK are outside the franchising system - time to consider a roll out of community, concessional and nationalised models to other lines. SWT is a national embarrassment.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

I really hope the LDs have polling to support Swinson’s constant appeals to the #metoo vote.

It does nothing for me, but maybe that’s not the point.

I saw a clip of her on the news last night, surrounded by acolytes. It appeared that the LibDems have become a women only party.
  • Options
    Whatever Boris has to hide, he is successfully hiding it, so the question is moot.
  • Options
    Idiotic comments from both of you this morning.
  • Options
    Mr. 67, agree entirely.

She's not being excluded because she's a woman. She's not included because she has practically no chance of being PM.

Obviously, that's not great territory for the Lib Dems, but the Remain line you advocate is the best one she's got. All this bizarre banging on about being women (Harman, Swinson) as if the gender's an oppressed minority is odd.

The Lib Dems genuinely have a USP this time (Remain) and shouldn't be wasting their airtime on nonsense.
  • Options

I really hope the LDs have polling to support Swinson’s constant appeals to the #metoo vote.

I saw a clip of her on the news last night, surrounded by acolytes. It appeared that the LibDems have become a women only party.
    I like it. It's a good look at the moment.
  • Options

Her entire pitch seems to be “vote for me, I’m a woman and I don’t like Brexit.”

Whilst those are undoubtedly two very good things, I fear that she has nothing much to say beyond this, and it’s possible she could get drowned out.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Nigelb said:

Sad, really.

Halloween predates the existence of the US by rather a long time.

The American style celebration has a certain charm at times. Read this article from Japan, and marvel at their understanding of ‘mayhem’ and ‘chaos’...
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/11/01/national/tokyo-shibuya-japan-halloween/
    The schmaltz does not predate Yankland.

It is a dastardly plot by Schulz and Peppermint Patty.
  • Options

Mr. Gate, I've probably been paying less attention than others here but it seems slightly odd that the Conservatives haven't seemed to get going yet.

This might be a cunning plan, of course. And we know how those can go.

Are you sticking with Andrea Jenkyns nevertheless? I believe you are a supporter of hers?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    egg said:

Does the 4 day week only cost £17B?

It’s detractors will have to attack it harder than that surely.

4 x new Trident boats plus 3 years running costs. People would rather have that than 3 day weekends apparently,
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

nunu2 said:

Charles said:

I'm in Finchley & Golders Green the Lib Dems are pushing Luciana with two leaflets a week... a survey and post card just today... however all being done through Royal Mail as there isn't much of a historical base to work from and few local activists. A couple of leaflets from the Conservatives as well and they have canvassed. However one of those was calling for a parking zone on the basis of the people parking and going to a station that isn't nearby or the nearest station. Parking is an issue but it's because of three to four cars per household rather than commuters. Promising to tax them extra probably isn't a vote winner. Brexit party have held a series of street stalls but no activity from Labour or Greens so far.

Had a survey from the Tories (hand delivered) in Westminster North plus a flurry of emails from the local council updating me on their good work.

Nothing from the other parties so far, but then I do live in a historically Jewish part of Westminster so maybe Labour are lying low?
    Westminster North is safe Labour right?
    Less than 15k majority 😂

Interestingly on wiki they don’t have Karen listed as the Labour candidate?
    Westminster North is 151st on the Tory target list, the Tories would need to win more seats than Blair 1997 or Thatcher 1983 to take it. Not even Cameron won it in 2010 or 2015.

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/conservative
    Sure. I’m just the right side of the border with the PRC
  • Options
    The old “guilty until proven innocent” line i see
  • Options
    The most popular railway in the UK, is also by far its most complex. It is the only network to run (on many lines) all night at weekends. It has by far the most stations of any UK network. It is crucial to running the economy of the world’s greatest city. It has free WiFi within nearly all its stations.

It’s also in the public sector. Which rather undermines the arguments of the privateers.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Next you'll be asking why Christians celebrate some bloke being tortured and nailed to a cross.

These customs and traditions don't have to make sense. Indeed the whole sense of Bonfire night has moved from celebrating the execution of anti-government religious terrorists to celebrating their opposition to authority. Perhaps that is why the authorities are now so keen for it to be edged out in place of Halloween.
    Good Friday isn’t a celebration

Easter Sunday is
  • Options
    Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Easter Sunday is
    Disagree. I celebrate long and hard on Good Friday. First day of four days off and spring has sprung. Best day of the year. What’s not to like?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I doubt issues with the service on SWR will make much difference in seats like Surrey SW and Surrey Heath. It might be an issue in that Pompey seat as it’s close and the pledge to get rid of the 450s and the 3+2 seating has not been met.

You’ll know better than most but what’s to stop us having just one privatised TOC in the UK?

As a major user of trains one of my major issues is when changing TOCs on a multi leg journey when one leg has been delayed/cancelled.
    Franchising isn’t my specialty
    It isn’t anyone’s speciality - that’s the problem, and the point.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited November 2019

The most popular railway in the UK, is also by far its most complex. It is the only network to run (on many lines) all night at weekends. It has by far the most stations of any UK network. It is crucial to running the economy of the world’s greatest city. It has free WiFi within nearly all its stations.

It’s also in the public sector. Which rather undermines the arguments of the privateers.

Most of the track is protected from falling leaves by a good few feet of earth, though.

Edit: Similarly trespassers. And people wanting to pinch the copper signalling cables.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Charles said:

What has he got to hide?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Franchising isn’t my specialty, but I guess the model is designed to keep companies interested by leasing two or three contracts each year. I’m not sure how much better connections are between trains of the same operator. I know GWR are quite good on holding long distance services for delayed local trains. But that’s probably easier at places like Plymouth compared to Manchester Piccadilly.
    Thanks.

When Northern Fail does its magic it causes congestion on already congested platforms and other trains that aren’t Northern.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Perhaps more it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court.

It is Boris who is blocking the report. Why?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Charles said:

The ‘why are you deliberately delaying a report until after the election’ question.
    The rationale given is dubious.

Unless you take the view that any questioning the executive is out of bounds ?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    Charles said:

Come on. You know better than that.

The report has been cleared for publication, crucially by the intelligence services. So the report is now in a state fit for publication. It does not require any further drafting. The intelligence services want its publication. There is one final formality which involves it being sent to the PM before it is put before Parliament. The standard time for that is 10 days and No 10 has had it for that length of time already.

Now they are claiming that they need 6 weeks to review it, which is simply untrue, and there are stories, which may or may not be true, that Cummings has it (why?) and the result is that it won’t be put before Parliament before the election and likely not until next year.

So it is legitimate to ask why the normal processes to ensure transparency of a report by an important select committee on a matter of public interest, which is highly relevant to what is about to happen - an election - are not being followed.
  • Options
    On the election: I don’t think the Tories have won the opening days of this campaign. They’ve been a bit quiet, whether this is storing their powder up for big announcements next week I’m not sure, but they’ve got to be careful Labour don’t steal a march.

Prediction still Tory majority in the teens or single figures.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Strange listening to Gove saying how wonderful Johnson is on radio 4. What a difference two years makes.

Is he back on the marching powder? Mishal couldn't get the bumptious wee toad to shut up.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

But that's an absolutely cracking question. So is, why do they then torture and kill each other by the hundreds of millions for ever after because they can't agree exactly what the bloke did with some bread.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

egg said:

Does the 4 day week only cost £17B?

It’s detractors will have to attack it harder than that surely.

4 x new Trident boats plus 3 years running costs. People would rather have that than 3 day weekends apparently,
    That's a great message. Labour need a fleet of red busses. Think of the illustrators you could approach.
  • Options

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Easter Sunday is
    Disagree. I celebrate long and hard on Good Friday. First day of four days off and spring has sprung. Best day of the year. What’s not to like?
    You’re not celebrating Good Friday, but the first day of a long weekend.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Charles said:

What has he got to hide?
    Moving on to smears.

So uplifting
  • Options

Charles said:

Perhaps more it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court.

I’d assume purdah
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Ah, the fresh smell of anti-Russian hysteria on pb.com in the morning.

Russophobia is xenophobia for genteel people.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Oh the irony .

Gove moaning about Corbyns NHS claim.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Anyone know why Dagenham constituency is suspended for betting on BF Sportsbook?
  • Options
    F1: recent negativity from drivers about the proposed 2020 tyres could lead to them being abandoned.

Hmm.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pretty sure deliberately withholding evidence in you own defence isn't much of a goer when it comes to appealing a guilty verdict.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

The report has been cleared for publication, crucially by the intelligence services. So the report is now in a state fit for publication. It does not require any further drafting. The intelligence services want its publication. There is one final formality which involves it being sent to the PM before it is put before Parliament. The standard time for that is 10 days and No 10 has had it for that length of time already.

Now they are claiming that they need 6 weeks to review it, which is simply untrue, and there are stories, which may or may not be true, that Cummings has it (why?) and the result is that it won’t be put before Parliament before the election and likely not until next year.

So it is legitimate to ask why the normal processes to ensure transparency of a report by an important select committee on a matter of public interest, which is highly relevant to what is about to happen - an election - are not being followed.
    Has it been through that process of allowing people to respond to criticisms of them?

I’ve no idea. But generally I find it facile to argue that these things should be published in the heat of an election campaign when they generate more heat than light

Better that they be considered fresh in the cold light of day. If they are as serious as you think then the individuals concerned will be fired anyway.

If the intelligence services wanted it out there it would be out there. (I noticed the “security chiefs” in yesterday’s article were all ex officials from Downing Street)
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Charles said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

What has he got to hide?
    Moving on to smears.

So uplifting
    I didn’t smear him. I simply asked what he has to hide. If the answer is ‘nothing’ he has the power to release the report.

If he chooses not to it doesn’t take Coleen Rooney’s powers to deduce his motive.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Streeter said:

Charles said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

What has he got to hide?
    Moving on to smears.

So uplifting
    I didn’t smear him. I simply asked what he has to hide. If the answer is ‘nothing’ he has the power to release the report.

If he chooses not to it doesn’t take Coleen Rooney’s powers to deduce his motive.
    Nor yours.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Lucky Johnson doesn't work for McDonalds. I saw him on TV walking with his latest squeeze yesterday. She really does look like his daughter and not just because of her age. I suppose if you're as vain as he is you'd be attracted to someone who looks like you

Hmm..

'In the almost 20 years since, Mr Trump has called his eldest daughter “voluptuous”. He’s said it’s OK to describe her as “a piece of ass”, though she is a senior executive in his business empire. And he’s said that, if she wasn’t his daughter, “perhaps [he’d] be dating her”.'
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365

The London Underground is pretty simple. Most of the network is simply a tube: little requirement for complex juggling of paths, no mixing of fast, slow and freight services: all trains stop at all stations. Not easy to run, but substantially simpler that, say, the Castlefield Corridor.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Easter Sunday is
    For the religious perhaps. But for the other 90% of the population who don't really give a damn about such things it is just another holiday and an excuse for eating chocolate and watching crap telly.

I am not defending it just pointing out the modern reality. So it is just as valid to point out its dubious logic as it is to criticise Bonfire night.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Roger said:

Hmm..

'In the almost 20 years since, Mr Trump has called his eldest daughter “voluptuous”. He’s said it’s OK to describe her as “a piece of ass”, though she is a senior executive in his business empire. And he’s said that, if she wasn’t his daughter, “perhaps [he’d] be dating her”.'
    I'm pretty sure that if incest was legal, Trump would have married his daughter.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Easter Sunday is
    You’re not celebrating Good Friday, but the first day of a long weekend.
    I’m celebrating a Very Good Friday. Nothing to do with Christianity, just like Easter itself.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

And quite frequently, pagan festivals were just Christianised, over the centuries.
  • Options

Most of the track is protected from falling leaves by a good few feet of earth, though.

Edit: Similarly trespassers. And people wanting to pinch the copper signalling cables.
    Not so. It is mostly above ground.
  • Options

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Easter Sunday is
    For the religious perhaps. But for the other 90% of the population who don't really give a damn about such things it is just another holiday and an excuse for eating chocolate and watching crap telly.

I am not defending it just pointing out the modern reality. So it is just as valid to point out its dubious logic as it is to criticise Bonfire night.
    Quite right. More to the point, Easter is sod all to do with the church anyway. It’s a glorious pagan festival celebrating sex and fertility coopted by Christians for their own nefarious ends.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Hmm..

I'm pretty sure that if incest was legal, Trump would have married his daughter.
    What's the point of being president if you can't get the law changed? It can't just be about funnelling money to your own companies, surely.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

The London Underground is pretty simple. Most of the network is simply a tube: little requirement for complex juggling of paths, no mixing of fast, slow and freight services: all trains stop at all stations. Not easy to run, but substantially simpler that, say, the Castlefield Corridor.
    The London Underground - simpler to run than the Castlefield Corridor.

Only on PB.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Roger said:

Hmm..

Maybe Jo Swinson's got her pitch right? The Johnson's the Trumps and the Weinsteins are the dying embers of a dissapearing zeitgeist.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I’d assume purdah
    Purdah starts tomorrow, not three weeks ago since when Boris has been sitting on the report.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,425
    Ave_it said:

Ave it says that:
    - CON may make net gains or
    - CON may make net losses or
    - CON might end up net no change (318)

Ave it also projects that LD hold Dumbartonshire E.

"Dumbartonshire". Spelt wrong. It is, of course, Dunbartonshire. Anyone know why this is, given that the town is Dumbarton.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

Off topic, South Western Railway (a F*r*t Gr*up franchise) is close to breaking point.

My trains were delayed by 15-20 minutes every day last week, shortformed of 8 coaches rather than 12 at rush hour & again this morning (which is a huge deal - it’s busy enough as it is and this makes everything 50% busier. Many passengers can’t even get on the train, let alone stand on it) and their staff and stock rostering in the event of a perturbed service is appalling.

It’s pretty clear to me that Failing Grayling appointed SWR because they undercut SWT (stagecoach) in their bid. They did that by cutting out any fat in reserve stock or spare staff at major depots and junctions to save money. So, now, NR only needs to cough and the whole service gets f*cked to high-heaven.

Why does this matter?

I live in Guildford and my daughter commutes to London. In the overwhelming majority of late running trains the issue is not the franchise operator, but incompetence by Network Rail or the government. Network Rail constantly have signal and points failures (and overrunning engineering work), and the issues caused by the guards dispute (which have been much better managed than on Southern Rail) are due to government instructions to franchisees to fight this fight.

SW Trains are not perfect, but blaming them for faults largely caused by others is the last resort of political bias. I do not know the answer to the best rail system, and have no ideological problem with a wholly state run system, but the sheer incompetence of the part of the system currently state run (Network Rail) gives me pause for thought.
  • Options

Not so. It is mostly above ground.
    You must forgive me, I'm a South Londoner. The deep ground lines of the Victoria and Northern lines are what I know.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    New thread.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    What is the point of the government promising no extension beyond 2020. They are bringing no deal back onto the table after having successfully removed it. The PMs great outmanouvering of the opposition was precisely in getting a deal and neutralising no deal. Their path to winning a majority lies in convincing the remainer southern moderate tories that an orderly brexit under Boris is far better than Corbyn. They have already successfully squeezed the BXP vote. Making all these ridiculous claims now that there will be no extension to the transition period is giving Labour and Lib Dems exactly the ammo they need to say that Boris' brexit doesn't "get it done" at all, and the risk of a "Trump Sellout Singapore No Deal 2020 Brexit" is as alive as ever. Farage is already attacking the Brexit deal as Not Brexit whatever happens, is saying No Extension supposed to make Farage's lot roll over?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

If you avatar reflect you, I suspect the appeal is more to the #notyou vote.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Has it been through that process of allowing people to respond to criticisms of them?

I’ve no idea. But generally I find it facile to argue that these things should be published in the heat of an election campaign when they generate more heat than light

Better that they be considered fresh in the cold light of day. If they are as serious as you think then the individuals concerned will be fired anyway.

If the intelligence services wanted it out there it would be out there. (I noticed the “security chiefs” in yesterday’s article were all ex officials from Downing Street)
    “Maxwellisation” is not relevant here. The report is in final form ready to be published. The only reason it is coming up as an issue during an election period is because of the delay imposed by No 10. Had normal process been followed, it would have been published already while Parliament was sitting.

No 10 is delaying for no good reason and then using the delay they have imposed to justify not publishing because there’s an election. It is a pretty transparent abuse of process.

The integrity of our electoral process is critical. A report on possible interference by foreign hostile states into that process is important and should be made transparent, especially before an election.
  • Options

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sad, really.

Easter Sunday is

I was just correcting your specific statement that “Christians celebrate Good Friday”

What non-believers do with their 4 day weekend is up to them.
This discussion has been closed.