Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tory MPs are really focussed on gaining northern LAB se

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053

Sinn Fein standing down to help Sylvia Hermon is quite startling, and a very good move in terms of getting Northern Irish politics a little more like our normal, sober political system (well...). Seriously, it's great.

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1191342263219171330?s=21
    Extraordinary stuff. I didn't see that coming.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/jrmaidment/status/1191324272385544192

Of course, the Prime Minister never goes back on his word on such deadlines.

What is the bloody point of making these assurances? Does anyone listen anymore?
    The ERG are listening. They're quite keen on No Deal at the end of 2020.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

nunu2 said:

twitter.com/jrmaidment/status/1191324272385544192

A few BXP should go back to tories.
    This is the pre cursor to WTO exit and Farage pact
    I am looking forward to our WTO exit. Listening to Leavers complaining that it is not Brexit will be compensation for the whole mess.
    This is a bad move by the tories. It gives the suggestion that the deal is rubbish. Some of us realise that already but the public don't (yet). It plays majorly into Farage's hands. If you want a true Brexit stop messing with Johnson. Go Farage.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    Apologies if this has already been posted - but in these febrile times where we seem keen to furiously disagree with each other about absolutely everything, I think Remainers and Leavers can join in celebrating that John Bercow has been immortalised in a Belgian dance record: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/04/speaker-house-music-john-bercow-immortalised-belgian-dance-single/

- and while this is outside my usual oeuvre, my verdict is that it's rather good.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Alistair said:

Interesting, St Nic down in Dumfries.

I would have had Dumfreis and Galloway well down the list of SNP targets.

https://twitter.com/TomEden11/status/1191355266698272768?s=19

Linking to Queen of the South?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

FPT

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Competition is a good thing, competition makes us healthier and better.
    That is all very firal statement.

But how politically acceptable do you think the measures needed to make this competition effective will be to the sorts of voters the Tories are targeting?
    I hope they would be very acceptable and they would only occur post-Brexit if the population is carried to agree with the changes overall.

That is the whole point of taking back control, if the voters dislike what is proposed done they can prevent or reverse it.

I never put the choice as that and I don't agree with such a negative attitude. I don't agree that the damage will be significant and I think the point of takin back control is not to "mitigate that damage" it is to cease currently neglected opportunities outside.
    It comes back to the basic point that decreasing alignment with our EU neighbours will be damaging - it makes trade with those countries less free. The benefit of that dealignment could be to allow us to trade more freely with other countries but that means, in detail, thinking about what kind of divergence we need to take to get trade deals that EU membership precludes, and then whether the electorate would knowingly choose that divergence. For example, which food or environmental standards might we lower, how might we increase labour market flexibility (to use the positive spin phrase), what additionally non-EU immigration might we permit?
    Why would decreasng alignment with our EU neighbours be damaging? If you assume it will be damaging, then yes it will, but you haven't justified such an assumption.

We don't necessarily need to lower food or environmental standards, but we can lower tariffs and other non-tariff barriers.
    I guess we must be at cross purposes but I thought it was common ground that regulatory divergence etc gives rise to non-tariff barriers, and lowering NTBs is generally equated with increasing alignment with the trade partner. Maybe to put the question another way with is more neutral on the subject of ‘damage’ - how do you anticipate decreasing alignment with the EU in a way that doesn’t increase NTBs, and which NTBs would you see us being able to lower in order to take advantage of neglected opportunities elsewhere, if food and environmental standards are off the table?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

What is the bloody point of making these assurances? Does anyone listen anymore?
    A political pledge means "I will do this as long as others don't stop me". If the Conservatives get a majority, he presumably won't be legally bound to extend.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I think you and I have enough mutual respect for you to know that the question is a genuine one. We will almost certainly get Brexit in some shape or form, and I accept that is almost inevitable. However, I genuinely still have not heard an argument in favour for the principle of Brexit that cannot be shot down very easily. I can see an argument that it is now too late to go back, but not an argument that justifies the whole process from first principles; I.e. why it might have been a good idea to do it in the first place. I think it might be better if Brexit supporters just simply said it was a gut instinct or an article of faith, like those who believe in a religion.

It is a good idea because the laws of our land should be set by the people we elect - and if our laws are wrong the people should be able to elect a new government that can amend or reverse that law.

Go on shoot it down in a way that addresses my point and not yours please.
    Think bigger. Our land could be the whole of Europe.
    Why Europe, why not the whole world? A whole Empire?

Nah, I'm happy with my own country thanks.
    You'll be agin that whole Anglosphere gubbins then... :)
    There are some on here who will not be happy until their country is Little Cottage on the Wold (all others being outsiders, dang-it!!!!!)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

I think you and I have enough mutual respect for you to know that the question is a genuine one. We will almost certainly get Brexit in some shape or form, and I accept that is almost inevitable. However, I genuinely still have not heard an argument in favour for the principle of Brexit that cannot be shot down very easily. I can see an argument that it is now too late to go back, but not an argument that justifies the whole process from first principles; I.e. why it might have been a good idea to do it in the first place. I think it might be better if Brexit supporters just simply said it was a gut instinct or an article of faith, like those who believe in a religion.

It is a good idea because the laws of our land should be set by the people we elect - and if our laws are wrong the people should be able to elect a new government that can amend or reverse that law.

I hesitate to get involved in a private fight, since experience suggests that both original combatants will turn on an interloper, but one of the reasons for banding together in 'something like' the EU is because business organisations are becoming bigger than can be reasonably dealt with by nation states.
    I don't share that concern but if that was the argument then presumably we should be seeking to share sovereignty with America? As the organisations that affect our lives are more American than European?
    We are long way from the US, both geographically and, in many respects, socially. Health policies are a case in point.
    That's not what you said though, you said about business. Facebook, Google, Amazon, Apple, Walmart (ASDA) and many other companies affecting our daily lives are not German, French etc
    Sharing sovereignty with the USA isn't on offer.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I hesitate to get involved in a private fight, since experience suggests that both original combatants will turn on an interloper, but one of the reasons for banding together in 'something like' the EU is because business organisations are becoming bigger than can be reasonably dealt with by nation states.
    I don't share that concern but if that was the argument then presumably we should be seeking to share sovereignty with America? As the organisations that affect our lives are more American than European?
    We are long way from the US, both geographically and, in many respects, socially. Health policies are a case in point.
    That's not what you said though, you said about business. Facebook, Google, Amazon, Apple, Walmart (ASDA) and many other companies affecting our daily lives are not German, French etc
    Aldi Liddell ikea etc
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Those Brexit dividends in full:

1. We can lower VAT on home energy costs to zero.
    2. Droit de Suite (you can google it).
    3. Er...
    4. That's it.

ps. We were always sovereign

Always sovereign de jure, perhaps. In reality laws and regulations were made in Brussels.
    We proved we were sovereign by voting to Leave. Oh you mean the laws and regulations that we, as part of the organisation, had a hand in devising, and thought on balance were better for the country than otherwise? Those laws and regulations?

I mean even though it doesn't seem right I do think that sometimes people should be denied the vote if they are too dim to understand how the modern world works.
    Immediately with the condescending reply, thanks.

What the UK thinks is immaterial in a lot of areas now, and that list Is only growing with the desire to have everything decided under QMV. Of courses shadbush influence in those decisions, but not a right to ignore the decisions if we had wished to remain a member.
    What in your mind is the primary example of where we have had a decision go against us which cemented your views that we were better off out?
    I don’t think any were particularly critical in cementing my view. The obvious example of a decision is that of the VAT rules. Yes, we may have agreed with a lot of things before, but that was in the era of the veto, so we had to agree.
    So you voted to leave the EU because the UK couldn't reduce VAT on home energy supplies from 5% to zero? In which party's manifesto was that commitment? Cons presumably? The Cons, of course, who put it up from zero all those years ago.

Tell me also, if you would, why our standard rate of VAT is 20% when we are able to reduce it to 15% if we wanted?
    Like I said, I don’t think any were particularly critical in cementing my view. It was just an example of how sovereignty has been limited de facto (I accept, de jure, it was there, but you could argue that any region has de jure sovereignty, they just have to leave whatever polity they are a part of).
  • Options

RobD said:

Harriet Harman: An extra deputy speaker from the minority parties.

If that happened it would increase the government's majority wouldn't it? Speaker and deputy speakers don't vote but they are balanced between government and opposition - if the minority parties got a deputy then unless that was offset by another government deputy speaker then if the deputies continue to not vote that would affect the votes. Has she thought that one through?

I viewed it as an appeal to the SNP. They have an absolute majority of minority seats, I think.
    Who aren't in the Commons today to vote. They're off campaigning.

Oops! :D
  • Options

Sinn Fein standing down to help Sylvia Hermon is quite startling, and a very good move in terms of getting Northern Irish politics a little more like our normal, sober political system (well...). Seriously, it's great.

Have Sinn Fein ever stood aside for other candidates in the past?
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

A political pledge means "I will do this as long as others don't stop me". If the Conservatives get a majority, he presumably won't be legally bound to extend.
    So you are the one who is listening then. Glad we cleared that up, I did wonder whether anyone could feasibly be so credulous.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Peter Walker in the Guardian says potential BXP candidates are getting a briefing from Ann Widdecombe.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

For Bozo they seem to be his way of flagging things that he might do?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Pengelly almost certainly a goner in South Belfast with that announcement.

SDLP GAIN

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

3. Er...
    4. That's it.

Always sovereign de jure, perhaps. In reality laws and regulations were made in Brussels.
    We proved we were sovereign by voting to Leave. Oh you mean the laws and regulations that we, as part of the organisation, had a hand in devising, and thought on balance were better for the country than otherwise? Those laws and regulations?

I mean even though it doesn't seem right I do think that sometimes people should be denied the vote if they are too dim to understand how the modern world works.

What the UK thinks is immaterial in a lot of areas now, and that list Is only growing with the desire to have everything decided under QMV. Of courses shadbush influence in those decisions, but not a right to ignore the decisions if we had wished to remain a member.
    What in your mind is the primary example of where we have had a decision go against us which cemented your views that we were better off out?
    I don’t think any were particularly critical in cementing my view. The obvious example of a decision is that of the VAT rules. Yes, we may have agreed with a lot of things before, but that was in the era of the veto, so we had to agree.
    So you voted to leave the EU because the UK couldn't reduce VAT on home energy supplies from 5% to zero? In which party's manifesto was that commitment? Cons presumably? The Cons, of course, who put it up from zero all those years ago.

Tell me also, if you would, why our standard rate of VAT is 20% when we are able to reduce it to 15% if we wanted?
    Like I said, I don’t think any were particularly critical in cementing my view. It was just an example of how sovereignty has been limited de facto (I accept, de jure, it was there, but you could argue that any region has de jure sovereignty, they just have to leave whatever polity they are a part of).
    Right. So no good reason.
  • Options

Peter Walker in the Guardian says potential BXP candidates are getting a briefing from Ann Widdecombe.

CCHQ breathing a sigh of relief?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    What a contrast between the pleasant accent of Eleanor Laing and the tinnitus-inducing shrieks you hear from Jo Swinson.
  • Options

Would you support it if it was? I think I would.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2019

rcs1000 said:

BPC rules are getting somewhat abused here.

Lib Dems commission a bunch of private polls, release those whose results say what they want them to say - because they've been released Survation under BPC rules have to release the poll themselves too thus confirming the figures for the LDs to use them on their materials.

BPC rules should be tightened up. If parties are going to poll a bunch of constituencies and release some of the figures then the pollster should release all comparable polls they've done at the same time and not just the cherrypicked ones that have the results the party wants to get out there.

I don't see why. People commission private polls all the time and only release the ones that benefit them. That doesn't seem evil (or even wrong) to me.
    It's because you introduce a selection bias if you only publish the polls that look good to you. It's like the xkcd cartoon on jelly beans causing acne.

Suppose the Lib Dems have conducted opinion polls in 100 constituencies. Five of these, entirely randomly, will give the Lib Dems really good results. Because of the small sample size of these opinion polls, really, *really* good results.

If they then only publish those five opinion polls, and shred the other 95, they present a completely false picture of their electoral prospects. It's the sort of statistical dishonesty that BPC rules are meant to prevent.

On the other hand, if the Lib Dems conduct constituency polls in 100 constituencies and publish all of them, then you get to see the full range of random sample bias, in all its absurd glory. Also, if it turns out that the Lib Dems genuinely only conduct five constituency opinion polls, publish them all, and they *all* look good for the Lib Dems, that gives you greater confidence in their collective result.
    Vast swathes, if not all, of science is skewed by publication bias*. And the Lib Dems are not scientists, but politicians seeking to manipulate data to their electoral advantage**.

* Even Cochrane reviews, which rely on papers in a skewed pool.
    ** As are all the other parties.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

3. Er...
    4. That's it.

No specific example was reason enough, but cumulatively, and the prospect of more, they were.
  • Options
    When do we get the Speaker result?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,898

viewcode said:

Think bigger. Our land could be the whole of Europe.
    Why Europe, why not the whole world? A whole Empire?

Nah, I'm happy with my own country thanks.
    You'll be agin that whole Anglosphere gubbins then... :)
    There are some on here who will not be happy until their country is Little Cottage on the Wold (all others being outsiders, dang-it!!!!!)
    Or as I put it, for some (not all, not even most) Leavers, the problem was not that the UK was being ruled by a foreign country, the problem was that it was being ruled by the wrong one.
  • Options

If only the mainland parties saw that things are so critical.

The irony for Sinn Fein is that Bozo’s Brexit deal signifies a first small step toward a United Ireland.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

The mask slips
  • Options

First ballot around 4.20
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Not if it was a choice against sharing sovereignty with our European neighbours. If it's a larger 'Western Union' between North America and the EU, then that would be a good idea.
  • Options

About an hour, apparently, to the result of the first ballot.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

3. Er...
    4. That's it.

No specific example was reason enough, but cumulatively, and the prospect of more, they were.
    No good reason.

Edit: and you're going to absolutely love the terms of the trade deals we are about to try to negotiate.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Looks like Farage is still after for a deal with the conservatives

And is this relevant

ERG Brokering Brexit Party Stand Down Terms with Downing Street https://t.co/8fbqh2KPjT https://t.co/XQ3Ob3BNL3

Farages issue isn’t just with no deal at the end of the transition period but the WA. And if Bozo made an explicit mention of no deal in their manifesto this will be a gift to the opposition .
  • Options
    Mr. B2, cheers.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The irony for Sinn Fein is that Bozo’s Brexit deal signifies a first small step toward a United Ireland.
    This move feels like the opening salvo in trying to win a border poll by reaching out across the divide.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Johnson is thoroughly untrustworthy, of course. The other way round that is for him to be replaced as prime minister. Thar seems like a good plan to me.
  • Options

Who cares? None of them could hold a candle to the incumbent. Bercow’s departure will be a huge loss to British public life, I’m sure you and all PBers will agree.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Have Sinn Fein ever stood aside for other candidates in the past?
    Yes on numerous occasions I think.
    They did in 2010 in South Belfast and the SDLP won.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Gabs2 said:

Not if it was a choice against sharing sovereignty with our European neighbours. If it's a larger 'Western Union' between North America and the EU, then that would be a good idea.
    Quite. As it is loosely based around the North Atlantic, we could call it NATO.
  • Options

Who cares? None of them could hold a candle to the incumbent. Bercow’s departure will be a huge loss to British public life, I’m sure you and all PBers will agree.
    You don’t like polls, you don’t like obscure elections no one else has ever heard of. What exactly are you doing on PB? :D
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

No good reason.

Edit: and you're going to absolutely love the terms of the trade deals we are about to try to negotiate.

No specific example is what I said, or are you simply expressing your view that the dilution of sovereignty, and risk of further dilution, was not a good reason?
  • Options

...Vast swathes, if not all, of science is skewed by publication bias*...

Sometimes not even that. I reviewed a paper before publication once that had been thru three other reviewers, when I spotted they'd defined the null hypothesis exactly wrong... :)

I keep banging on about "numbers, percentages/variances, thresholds" so much because people just don't get it. They think if they find that A exhibits X more than B, then A exhibits X and B does not exhibit X, and they look at me blank when I point out the fallacy. Humans, arrgh, illogical species... :)

• Options

IanB2 said:

This move feels like the opening salvo in trying to win a border poll by reaching out across the divide.
    True. Strategically clever, then (esp as Brexit will be decided in mainland seats). A blow to the DUP if it loses its majority or even largest party seat status.
  • Options
    @AndyJS - had you noticed that they have revived the old election night music? :o
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No good reason.

No specific example is what I said, or are you simply expressing your view that the dilution of sovereignty, and risk of further dilution, was not a good reason?
    The modern world involves interaction with other nations for mutual gain.

Or "the dilution of sovereignty" in your quaint terms.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Lets see. I don't think the house has time for a feckless seat-warmer in the Martin mould, and I'd hope the new Speaker has been emboldened by Bercow's tenure, having seen how effective and important a Speaker unwilling to kowtow to the government can be.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No good reason.

But there is a spectrum from isolationist states to federations. The EU is slowly moving along that spectrum, too far for a lot of people apparently.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SDLP GAIN

I wonder how pleased Sylvia Hermon is at having Sinn Fein explicitly endorse her. Sinn Fein only got 500 votes in North Down last time, whereas I'd expect the DUP to absolutely hammer her for it.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

The mask slips
    viewcode: 3:28PM, ...Or as I put it, for some (not all, not even most) Leavers, the problem was not that the UK was being ruled by a foreign country, the problem was that it was being ruled by the wrong one...

Gabs2: 3:29PM, ...Would you support it if it [sharing sovereignty with the USA] was [on offer]? I think I would...

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The return of class hatred
    Remainers are more and more open about how much they loathe ‘the mob’."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/11/04/the-return-of-class-hatred/
  • Options
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

Lib Dems commission a bunch of private polls, release those whose results say what they want them to say - because they've been released Survation under BPC rules have to release the poll themselves too thus confirming the figures for the LDs to use them on their materials.

BPC rules should be tightened up. If parties are going to poll a bunch of constituencies and release some of the figures then the pollster should release all comparable polls they've done at the same time and not just the cherrypicked ones that have the results the party wants to get out there.

I don't see why. People commission private polls all the time and only release the ones that benefit them. That doesn't seem evil (or even wrong) to me.
    It's because you introduce a selection bias if you only publish the polls that look good to you. It's like the xkcd cartoon on jelly beans causing acne.

Vast swathes, if not all, of science is skewed by publication bias*. And the Lib Dems are not scientists, but politicians seeking to manipulate data to their electoral advantage**.

Yes, it's a big problem. I've spent months working on something, only to find that it doesn't work, and then not published it. There are always more important things to work on, and no-one doles out grant money for negative results.

Something has to be done to modify the economy of scientific research, and to make publishing negative/null results less painful and time-consuming than publishing positive results, so that they can be put into the public domain.

I should emphasise that I wasn't trying to hide anything. Had the topic come up in conversation at a conference or seminar I would have volunteered my experience, it's just that no journal was going to publish an article that said "I tried this, it didn't work" and if they did, no-one was going to be impressed by my diligence. The best that you can do is to include it as part of an article about what did work, but that's not always easy to do.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The 2% SF got in E Belfast and 1% in North Down is unlikely to make a huge difference. In South Belfast it is a bigger deal but the anti-DUP vote could be split between Alliance and SDLP
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

True. Strategically clever, then (esp as Brexit will be decided in mainland seats). A blow to the DUP if it loses its majority or even largest party seat status.
    Will the Alliance / SDLP respond in Belfast North, East Londonderry and Upper Bann?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    It's of no consequence, but this little chat with Gorbachev made me feel quite sentimental. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-50265870/mikhail-gorbachev-tells-the-bbc-world-in-colossal-danger#
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sometimes not even that. I reviewed a paper before publication once that had been thru three other reviewers, when I spotted they'd defined the null hypothesis exactly wrong... :)

I keep banging on about "numbers, percentages/variances, thresholds" so much because people just don't get it. They think if they find that A exhibits X more than B, then A exhibits X and B does not exhibit X, and they look at me blank when I point out the fallacy. Humans, arrgh, illogical species... :)

There's a 9% chance you're talking gibberish.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No good reason.

But there is a spectrum from isolationist states to federations. The EU is slowly moving along that spectrum, too far for a lot of people apparently.
    Yeah what a shame we didn't get an opt out on that process of federalisation.
  • Options
    RobD said:

@AndyJS - had you noticed that they have revived the old election night music? :o

Pleased to hear it. There were rumours of King Arthur returning at the last election but he didn't.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Anorak said:

viewcode said:

Just 9%??!! :)

• Options

Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, it's a big problem. I've spent months working on something, only to find that it doesn't work, and then not published it. There are always more important things to work on, and no-one doles out grant money for negative results.

Something has to be done to modify the economy of scientific research, and to make publishing negative/null results less painful and time-consuming than publishing positive results, so that they can be put into the public domain.

I should emphasise that I wasn't trying to hide anything. Had the topic come up in conversation at a conference or seminar I would have volunteered my experience, it's just that no journal was going to publish an article that said "I tried this, it didn't work" and if they did, no-one was going to be impressed by my diligence. The best that you can do is to include it as part of an article about what did work, but that's not always easy to do.
    Human nature to want to 'move on' when it doesn't pan out. Maybe not a big deal in materials research (for example) but potentially a huge deal for medicine.

Shame Goldacre didn't get his "all trials to be registered beforehand" thing as mandatory to allow future publication.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    PaulM said:

Pulpstar said:

SDLP GAIN

I wonder how pleased Sylvia Hermon is at having Sinn Fein explicitly endorse her. Sinn Fein only got 500 votes in North Down last time, whereas I'd expect the DUP to absolutely hammer her for it.
    Yeah, I doubt she'll be best pleased. I wonder if SF's actions will persuade the other parties to also stand aside in North Down? Certainly if the Alliance didn't stand, that'd make a difference.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    edited November 2019

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Will the Alliance / SDLP respond in Belfast North, East Londonderry and Upper Bann?
    SDLP have already said they are not contesting North Belfast, East Belfast and North Down - I'm sure the Alliance will later tonight.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Anorak said:

viewcode said:

Just 9%??!! :)

There's a 94% chance I couldn't be arsed to read your post in detail ;)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I guessed who the author was before I clicked on the link. Perhaps an analysis of shitting in the woods from somebody other than the Bear Toilet Paper manufacturers would be more convincing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No good reason.

Yeah what a shame we didn't get an opt out on that process of federalisation.
    Apparently they had moved too far already :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

You don’t like polls, you don’t like obscure elections no one else has ever heard of. What exactly are you doing on PB? :D
    Trolling Morris Dancer.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The Unionists are doing a deal in Fermanagh I think.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    Labour explores plans to ban private jets from UK airports from 2025

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/nov/04/call-for-ban-on-uk-private-jets-by-2025-as-flight-traffic-soars

Labour just get more bonkers by the day.

Forget bollocks to billionaires, it f##k off all wealth producers.

I was going to say what about premier league clubs, espeically with european games..but they will be nationalized so they wont be able to afford them anyway.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Gabs2 said:

The mask slips
    viewcode: 3:28PM, ...Or as I put it, for some (not all, not even most) Leavers, the problem was not that the UK was being ruled by a foreign country, the problem was that it was being ruled by the wrong one...

Gabs2: 3:29PM, ...Would you support it if it [sharing sovereignty with the USA] was [on offer]? I think I would...

Ha! QED
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/nov/04/call-for-ban-on-uk-private-jets-by-2025-as-flight-traffic-soars

Sigh.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

SDLP have already said they are not contesting North Belfast, East Belfast and North Down - I'm sure the Alliance will later tonight.
    I'm not sure one could rely on all SDLP and Alliance voters to support a Sinn Fein candidate.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Rather selective choice of polling by the one-dimensional Goodwin. I hope you weren't taken in?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/national_general_election/
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The Unionists are doing a deal in Fermanagh I think.
    As they did last time. The DUP have only stood in Fermanagh once, in 2005 when Arlene Foster lost to SF :lol:
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited November 2019
    Jo Swinson playing the woman card for all she can about the tv debates

Jo - this is not about women.
  • Options
    Alliance should be prepared to trade South Belfast for a free run at East Belfast I think.
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I'm not sure one could rely on all SDLP and Alliance voters to support a Sinn Fein candidate.
    You can rely on Sinn Fein to switch to SDLP if the leadership has given the nod in that direction I reckon though.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They don't need to as it's Nigel Dodds seat and that should encourage a fair few to hold their nose as they vote.

But remember I believe most people vote not for their favourite candidate but for what they see as the least worst candidate.
  • Options

I was going to say what about premier league clubs, espeically with european games..but they will be nationalized so they wont be able to afford them anyway.

This sort of policy thinking (from all parties) frustrates me. How do we define a “private jet”? You can’t easily do that. You can ban a class of jet, you can’t ban an ethereal concept of a type of jet.
  • Options

This sort of policy thinking (from all parties) frustrates me. How do we define a “private jet”? You can’t easily do that. You can ban a class of jet, you can’t ban an ethereal concept of a type of jet.
    Dont complicate the issue...this is the party that also wants to ban all driverless trains....erhhh like the DLR...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

What is it about?
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No good reason.

Too far for a narrow majority of voters on one day in June 2016, I think you meant.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

I guessed who the author was before I clicked on the link. Perhaps an analysis of shitting in the woods from somebody other than the Bear Toilet Paper manufacturers would be more convincing.
    Why is the author important? It's their argument that matters.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

For men, it never is.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    edited November 2019
    AndyJS said:
    I see Elizabeth McGovern is doing well.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No good reason.

Too far for a narrow majority of voters on one day in June 2016, I think you meant.
    Correct, I shouldn't have used the vague term "a lot".
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It is easier done when the candidate isn't an ex IRA prisoner. Someone like John Finucane can probably get votes Gerry Kelly never could.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Good point. Which of these approaches did the author take:

1) Did the author define some kind of metric by which class hatred can be measured, did he lay down a threshold at which class hatred can be said to occur/not occur, then did he compare that group to other groups in their level of class hatred?

Or

2) Did he produce some examples and drew a wide-ranging conclusion from that?

Or

3) Did he just bang on for a bit?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Pity Thomas Cook is no longer there to be renationalised.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    edited November 2019
    viewcode said:

Not really. If the seats Con lose in nice middle-class neighbourhoods in the South-East are outweighed by those they gain in rufty-tufty working-class neighbourhoods in the North/Midlands, then it's to Cons benefit

Yes. The Conservative Party led by a colossal lump of born-to-rule privilege by the name of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, with a supporting cast of more right wing reactionaries than you can shake a stick at, are hoping to - likely will - surf to power on the back of working class votes.

You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    And the winner is...…….

HILLARY !
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

Not really. If the seats Con lose in nice middle-class neighbourhoods in the South-East are outweighed by those they gain in rufty-tufty working-class neighbourhoods in the North/Midlands, then it's to Cons benefit

Yes. The Conservative Party led by a colossal lump of born-to-rule privilege by the name of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, with a supporting cast of more right wing reactionaries than you can shake a stick at, are hoping to - likely will - surf to power on the back off working class votes.

You couldn't make it up.
    Reality frequently ignores my attempts to make fun of it. Ludicrous as it sounds, if that Wokingham poll is correct, this actually seems to be happening.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Gabs2 said:

I think you and I have enough mutual respect for you to know that the supporters just simply said it was a gut instinct or an article of faith, like those who believe in a religion.

The mask slips

Ha! QED
    Except I also support sharing sovereignty with our European neighbors and Canada. That isn't being ruled by foreign countries, it is having a union with them.
  • Options

Jo's Boys
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

Because he consistently makes fucking awful arguments?
  • Options
    Polruan said:

I guess we must be at cross purposes but I thought it was common ground that regulatory divergence etc gives rise to non-tariff barriers, and lowering NTBs is generally equated with increasing alignment with the trade partner. Maybe to put the question another way with is more neutral on the subject of ‘damage’ - how do you anticipate decreasing alignment with the EU in a way that doesn’t increase NTBs, and which NTBs would you see us being able to lower in order to take advantage of neglected opportunities elsewhere, if food and environmental standards are off the table?

No it is not common ground. Regulatory alignment is not required in order to avoid Non Tariff Barriers.

Alignment is just one option available to avoid NTBs actually and the principle of mutual recognition instead is a valuable one to work with.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Polruan said:

No it is not common ground. Regulatory alignment is not required in order to avoid Non Tariff Barriers.

Alignment is just one option available to avoid NTBs actually and the principle of mutual recognition instead is a valuable one to work with.
    I think you guys are both right.

Mutual recognition of standards requires core agreement. If one country allows a certain degree of electrical radiation, and another has a different one, then mutual recognition of standards doesn't work.

Realistically, there will likely be little to no deviation in product standards, not least because many of these are now set globally. (And we would do well to recognize this, because otherwise we'll pay a price for a freedom we'll never use.)

Where there may be deviation is in environmental and labour regulation.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

The mask slips
    I am an internationalist and would like the US to be brought into a more progressive direction. Unlike others, I maintain consistent principles across situations. I am not a pick and choose internationalist.
This discussion has been closed.