Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tory MPs are really focussed on gaining northern LAB se

12346»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Welsh poll
    Labour: 29 (+4)

Conservatives: 28 (-1)

Brexit Party: 15 (+1)

Liberal Democrats: 12 (-4)

Plaid Cymru: 12 (no change)

Greens: 3 (-1)

Others: 1 (no change)

Wales returning to its familiar home? Nit a surprise.
    Labour had a 16% lead over the Tories in Wales in 2017, now just 1%
  • Options
    Be curious to see if Harman pulls out and endorses Laing, or if her "vote for a woman" spiel was just self-serving bullshit and not principle.

I know which I suspect.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    My own view is that the floor for the Lib Dems is much higher than in 2017, say 14%, and that 45-49% is baked in for the right wing parties (albeit, we don't know what the split will be between Conservative and TBP). Adding in 7% or so for the rest, that leaves Labour getting, at best, 30-34%.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I stand by my previous forecasts. The Lib Dems will do well to poll 10% to 12% in the GE.

They need to put their resources into making sure they convince Labour voters to vote tactically in those Tory v Lib Dem marginals .

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075

RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

I don't know how the Lib Dems can fairly be excluded. They have been in the 20s in multiple polls.
    Who are the 6% of LD voters who do not want her to appear? :)
    Probably those voters who think the debates are a monstrosity and should be cancelled.
    Or who think Swinson would flop
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

marke09 said:

Welsh poll

Wales returning to its familiar home? Nit a surprise.
    Labour had a 16% lead over the Tories in Wales in 2017, now just 1%
    Wasn't this actually around where Labour started in Wales in 2017?

We know how things developed during the campaign...
  • Options
    Twitter rumour that Harman is out.
  • Options
    sealo0sealo0 Posts: 48
    The First Welsh Poll of the General Election

Professor Roger Awan-Scully
    4 November 2019

Posted with no comment
  • Options
    Evening all. A couple of things I personally think may change seat numbers and are leaning me more towards a larger Tory majority than may seem possible,

1. In Scotland, I am in the camp that believes that the Unionist voters know this is a "last stand" election i.e. if the SNP make gains, the case for a second referendum becomes almost unstoppable. So I think Unionist tactical voting, despite Brexit, is as strong as in 2017 as it is a case of holding your nose and vote for the best Unionist candidate.

What has been less commented on - and I think could be a big factor - is how many 2017 SNP voters get cold feet at the possibility of a second referendum and what that entails, and so don't bother to come out and vote? In 2017, if you voted SNP, it was a safe bet. The 2016 referendum was lost and it seemed unlikely there would be another poll soon. It is clear now it may be and I suspect some SNP voters may be tempted to abstain.

2. What the last 2 years have shown is that a weak Government gets nothing done. There may therefore be a temptation amongst some voters (and I am thinking Labour Leave voters here) to cast their votes for their Tories for the first (and only) time to sort out the situation. In that case, BJ probably wins more Northern and Midlands leave seats than expected.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    Another fascinating afternoon door-knocking.

- Tory vote from 2017 holding up well. A few who are maybe's, but I suspect most will get over the line on 12th December.

- Wollaston a far from universally popular LibDem candidate. Wannabe anti-Tory tactical voter (Labour in 2017) not sure if he can bring himself to vote for her. Others who voted LibDem last time but might join the Can't Be Arsed Party for the day.

- Met a delightful and fascinating older lady who was a Communist in her youth and, because she really likes the candidate, might complete her political journey by voting Conservative for the first time in her life.

A really enjoyable afternoon.

• Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312

Good. I couldn't think of a more devisive speaker.
  • Options
    Right, it is now Bryant, Hoyle and Laing remaining.

Hoyle needs to put on 44 votes to win.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,098

What has been less commented on - and I think could be a big factor - is how many 2017 SNP voters get cold feet at the possibility of a second referendum and what that entails, and so don't bother to come out and vote? In 2017, if you voted SNP, it was a safe bet. The 2016 referendum was lost and it seemed unlikely there would be another poll soon. It is clear now it may be and I suspect some SNP voters may be tempted to abstain.

I don't see that. The 2017 campaign from the Ruth Davidson Party was wholly about telling Nicola "we said No", and a second independence referendum was very much a live issue in the immediate aftermath of triggering Article 50.
  • Options
    This ballot is now closed.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    If Bryant becomes speaker will we be hearing about exchanges between Bryant and May?

I'll get my coat
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,317
    spudgfsh said:

John Macdonnell
    Michael Gove
    Ian Blackford
    Jacob Rees-Mogg
    Diane Abbott
    Caroline Lucas
    Nigel Dodds

And that’s without the smallest effort.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

If Bryant becomes speaker will we be hearing about exchanges between Bryant and May?

I'll get my coat

Strike a light
  • Options

I'll get my coat

Do not forget your hat
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    YouGov in early May 2017 had a Welsh poll out putting the Tories on 41% v Labour on 35% .

Two weeks later that switched to Labour 44% v Tory 34% .

We’ve seen these obituaries for Labour before in Wales . I’ll believe it’s happened once the results are in otherwise I’m dubious to say the least .
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    sealo0 said:

The First Welsh Poll of the General Election

Professor Roger Awan-Scully
    4 November 2019

Posted with no comment

Labour badly squeezing the Libdems is the obvious comment. 1 in 4 have gone from Swinson.

A question for the Welsh posters here: is there any element to which a Scottish leader play badly in Wales?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    RobD said:

Gabs2 said:

I don't know how the Lib Dems can fairly be excluded. They have been in the 20s in multiple polls.
    Who are the 6% of LD voters who do not want her to appear? :)
    The ones with self-awareness.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Seem to be quite a few Lib Dem, Green and Brexit "voters" who turn tail at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder back to Tory & Labour.

Quite funny really.

It’s hilairous.
  • Options

Be curious to see if Harman pulls out and endorses Laing, or if her "vote for a woman" spiel was just self-serving bullshit and not principle.

I know which I suspect.

Maybe we’ll hear less of that sort of shite in future, given how dismally she failed.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

I know which I suspect.

My choice would be Bryant or Laing.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    ydoethur said:

spudgfsh said:

John Macdonnell
    Michael Gove
    Ian Blackford
    Jacob Rees-Mogg
    Diane Abbott
    Caroline Lucas
    Nigel Dodds

And that’s without the smallest effort.
    Mark Francois (although I assume parliament would have to be suspended for the Snow White casting calls).
  • Options

I know which I suspect.

Maybe we’ll hear less of that sort of shite in future, given how dismally she failed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    HYUFD said:

Bryant 120
    Harman 59
    Hoyle 244
    Laing 122
    Winterton 30

Close between Laing and Bryant for second but Laing will hope to pick up Harman and Winterton's votes now (Winterton signed her nomination papers) as the only female left in the race
    Obvious now that it’s going to be Hoyle. Parliament isn’t going to put diehard Brexiter Laing in the chair.
  • Options
    It’s pretty obvious if you look at the Welsh results in 2015 that UKIP really hurt Labour , then in 2017 UKIP imploding helped Labour .

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,867

Well the campaign has notionally begun, so it's worth taking a casual glance at the early polls – and we begin with a 7pt Tory lead. Labour with plenty of work to do.
    To win, yes. To prevent the Tories winning? Much easier job. Agreement on a referendum will come easy if the Tories are not largest party.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

It’s pretty obvious if you look at the Welsh results in 2015 that UKIP really hurt Labour , then in 2017 UKIP imploding helped Labour .

I wonder what they will do this time..
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    It looks like Labour voters are keener on fair play than Tory ones.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Another fascinating afternoon door-knocking.

- Tory vote from 2017 holding up well. A few who are maybe's, but I suspect most will get over the line on 12th December.

- Wollaston a far from universally popular LibDem candidate. Wannabe anti-Tory tactical voter (Labour in 2017) not sure if he can bring himself to vote for her. Others who voted LibDem last time but might join the Can't Be Arsed Party for the day.

- Met a delightful and fascinating older lady who was a Communist in her youth and, because she really likes the candidate, might complete her political journey by voting Conservative for the first time in her life.

A really enjoyable afternoon.

Good on you for putting your shoe leather where your mouth is.
This discussion has been closed.