Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sell BREX, Buy PC, GRN & LDs – My current Commons seats spread

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

John Mann has now left the House of Commons. Does that mean that the number of votes needed tonight is reduced from 434 to 433?

Is Vaz suspended ?
    Only a recommendation, so far.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,020
    I am given to understand by @Gabs2 and @MarqueeMark that Boris had no intention of NoDeal, so presumably @HYUFD will confirm that by stating that Boris accepted this extension entirely voluntarily and wasn't coerced, oh dear me no, heaven forfend... :)

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    That tweet was going okay until it said "Labour" and not "LDs".
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

If it's leaver bias, then Boris is okay.
    His worry is if Brexit party supporters don't believe he gave it his all.

Yes, and I reckon he's cracked it. They think he's Proper Leave. If he gets his Dec election - as it looks like he will - I struggle to see any result apart from big Tory win. All I can do to mitigate the downer is at least make some money on the betting. Need to drop the Mr Gloomy persona, though, because I am supposed to be doing some canvassing for Labour. No-one wants to see a misery guts on their doorstep.
    Maybe. Nigel Farage will not be letting him off the hook though.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    GIN1138 said:

What I do think though is that at the end we'll have a decisive result.

The country is sick of this impasse and will swing decisively one way or another IMO...

It'd be nice.

My suspicion though is that the public will prove to be as decisive as the HoC has been lately, and vote for Tories 310ish, and we go back to the cycle of endless repeated extensions.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

It's like this -

All politicians make promises in election campaigns. None of them couch them in language of caveats. It is widely accepted those promises are contingent on the degree of political control they win.

When politicians fail to achieve them, the voters hold it against them when it is their fault and don't hold it against them if it is thwarted by others.

You say Boris should uniquely be held to a standard where he has to make caveats other politicians never had.

That, I submit, is anti-Brexit bias. That's a prime case of anti-Brexit bias right there.

Oh no (!) not the templating thing. And you're wrong. I am being objective. I've pressed my special button.

It's like THIS -

Should Boris be politically crucified for breaking his totemic promise? No - he is not entirely without excuses.

Should Boris avoid any serious political damage for breaking his totemic promise? No way - having excuses does not and should not buy you that in big ticket politics. Not for a pledge as high profile and personal and influential as this one.

If in doubt ask Nick Clegg.
    Nick Clegg pledged to abolish tuition fees and voted to treble them instead.

Johnson voted against the extension.

Do you not see the difference?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Crikey - Redwood`s on form.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2019

Can't believe I'm saying this but well said John Redwood.

What did he say?
    Along the lines of "Parliament needs to either let the government govern or let the public decide".
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

It's like this -

All politicians make promises in election campaigns. None of them couch them in language of caveats. It is widely accepted those promises are contingent on the degree of political control they win.

When politicians fail to achieve them, the voters hold it against them when it is their fault and don't hold it against them if it is thwarted by others.

You say Boris should uniquely be held to a standard where he has to make caveats other politicians never had.

That, I submit, is anti-Brexit bias. That's a prime case of anti-Brexit bias right there.

Oh no (!) not the templating thing. And you're wrong. I am being objective. I've pressed my special button.

It's like THIS -

Should Boris be politically crucified for breaking his totemic promise? No - he is not entirely without excuses.

Should Boris avoid any serious political damage for breaking his totemic promise? No way - having excuses does not and should not buy you that in big ticket politics. Not for a pledge as high profile and personal and influential as this one.

Nick Clegg wasn't legally forced to accept tuition fee increases.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Best speech I have heard for a while
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

kinabalu said:

Gabs2 said:

It's like this -

It's like THIS -

Nick Clegg wasn't legally forced to accept tuition fee increases.
    Having pledged to abolish tuition fees Nick Clegg voted for tuition fee increases.

The comparison would be valid if Boris had voted for revocation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    GIN1138 said:

The country is sick of this impasse and will swing decisively one way or another IMO...

It would be the inverse of 2017 when the public was sick of the triumphalism and swung decisively behind stalemate.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes, and I reckon he's cracked it. They think he's Proper Leave. If he gets his Dec election - as it looks like he will - I struggle to see any result apart from big Tory win. All I can do to mitigate the downer is at least make some money on the betting. Need to drop the Mr Gloomy persona, though, because I am supposed to be doing some canvassing for Labour. No-one wants to see a misery guts on their doorstep.
    Farage has let him off the hook today. I am suspicious of an election pact. Remember a dozen safe Tory seats have had their MPs deprieved of the whip...
  • Options

Stocky said:

Agreed, never expected it from him.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,170
    edited October 2019
    Nowhere in the letter does Boris support the extension and he makes clear in the first paragraph the Government opposes it but Parliament has imposed the extension.

He also makes clear he is seeking an election to get a majority for his Deal and Brexit
  • Options
    SNP calling for votes for children and foreignors *rolleyes*
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,396
    edited October 2019
    Blackford put cat among pigeons wanting votes for 16s
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Stocky said:

what DID HE SAY...
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    16 and 17 year olds.

Not feasible.
  • Options

What did he say?
    Along the lines of "Parliament needs to either let the government govern or let the public decide".
    Right. That's fair enough (and is why I think the Labour shilly-shallying is going to damage them).
  • Options

Isn't logistically possible for a December election. He must know that.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Stocky said:

what DID HE SAY...

What did he say?
    But better put than that. Succinct and clear.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Isn't logistically possible for a December election. He must know that.
    Think he got carried away. It is not possible
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Blackford speaking - seems to be trying to get Labour behind bill to force GE which includes bringing voting age down to 16.

Have I misunderstood? Are Tories being ambushed?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    GIN1138 said:

I think this election is wide open and could easily go wrong for Con but what other choice do they have?

A majority for someone? But who?
    Imagine this:

Many people would have voted Labour in 2005, then gave the Tories a chance in 2010, 2015, 2017 and now they are asking again in 2019/2020.

Will these voters vote Tory again for the fourth time in ten years?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    STOCK UP ON THE TINNED GOODS
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Seems like Blackford has backtracked already on that.
  • Options
    OMG - did I just see Nadine Dorries sitting on the Tory front bench...

It is the end of days.
  • Options
    Respect to Blackford - Priority is election now, give votes to children/foreigners for future elections.
  • Options
    IDS just selected reverse gear for Blackford.

That SNP demand lasted, oooh, about 50 seconds.
  • Options
    Blackford agrees the priority is for the election and the 16s is for the future

He has got carried away and scored an own goal
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Blackford speaking - seems to be trying to get Labour behind bill to force GE which includes bringing voting age down to 16.

Have I misunderstood? Are Tories being ambushed?

No
  • Options
    "Seems like Blackford has backtracked already on that."

I`m not sure that he has - I have a bad feeling about this. They are trying to gerrymander the next election.
  • Options

OMG - did I just see Nadine Dorries sitting on the Tory front bench...

It is the end of days.

Yes
  • Options
    If we don't get an election called tomorrow I think we're heading for "No deal".
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Artist said:

Then he backtracked again . Many of those amendments will likely be ruled not within the scope of the bill .

It looks like he was talking about future elections after this one .
  • Options
    IDS apparently unaware that EU nationals ARE on the electoral register.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    AndyJS said:
    Would a VONC have any practical effect if an election bill had passed?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

"Seems like Blackford has backtracked already on that."

I`m not sure that he has - I have a bad feeling about this. They are trying to gerrymander the next election.

Yes he has
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148

Foreigners already have the vote. It's just a question of which foreigners.
  • Options
    Ian Blackford is one of the best speakers in the House, (although I disagree with practically everything he says).
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

Nigel Who?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,838
    Corbyn clear as ever...

Journalists are split over the precise implications of Corbyn’s words.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Artist said:

Then he backtracked again . Many of those amendments will likely be ruled not within the scope of the bill .

It looks like he was talking about future elections after this one .
    He simply got carried away and reversed ferret
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    If that is the case then Boris would be as well waiting for that as risk amendments being attempted on a 1 liner.
  • Options
    I suspect Nicola will be on the blower to Blackford tonight

"Do not go near any Labour amendments tomorrow"
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Ian Blackford is one of the best speakers in the House, (although I disagree with practically everything he says).

He got carried away and had to change tack quickly
  • Options
    Pretty funny that Corbyn gave as one of his excuses that there's not enough daylight on Dec 12, whilst indicating that he'd be happy with the second week in January.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    SunnyJim said:

AndyJS said:
    If that is the case then Boris would be as well waiting for that as risk amendments being attempted on a 1 liner.
    17/12 come off it
  • Options
    She's sneaky.

I like her.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

He got carried away and had to change tack quickly
    Blackford is just one of so many MPs who engage mouth before brain.
  • Options

Pretty funny that Corbyn gave as one of his excuses that there's not enough daylight on Dec 12, whilst indicating that he'd be happy with the second week in January.

He opposed second week of October because that was too close to the end of October deadline, but with an end of January deadline the second week of January is something he'd be happy with?

Go figure.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    SunnyJim said:

She's sneaky.

I like her.

LOL! Who?
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

Foreignors who can’t rite English.
  • Options

He opposed second week of October because that was too close to the end of October deadline, but with an end of January deadline the second week of January is something he'd be happy with?

Go figure.
    It's all highly entertaining, as I had hoped.
  • Options
    I would love to see Swinson as LOTO and if she did get that she could make a decent future Prime Minister.

There is far more sense from her than Corbyn.
  • Options
    Soubry v Lib Dems - Amazing days
  • Options
    Christ, Anna could start a fight in an empty room.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

GIN1138 said:

I think this election is wide open and could easily go wrong for Con but what other choice do they have?

A majority for someone? But who?
    Imagine this:

Many people would have voted Labour in 2005, then gave the Tories a chance in 2010, 2015, 2017 and now they are asking again in 2019/2020.

Will these voters vote Tory again for the fourth time in ten years?
    More pertinently, many people will have voted Labour in 2017 believing Bexit was assured. Because that is what Labour told them. Will these voters vote Labour again?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

SunnyJim said:

She's sneaky.

I like her.

LOL! Who?
    JS.
  • Options

Where's the evidence that there's a majority in the House for a PV from Soubry?
  • Options
    Streeter said:

I thought it was spelled "furriners".
  • Options

I wonder what about her forthcoming P45 makes Soubry oppose an election?
  • Options

I would love to see Swinson as LOTO and if she did get that she could make a decent future Prime Minister.

I agree,. Could you imagine her leading labour, they would be out of sight
  • Options
    Yeah it’s going to pass tomorrow unammended.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Why would Nicola not want 16- and 17-year-olds to vote? That probably alone would swing their top few target seats to them, even without any "proper" swing from the 2017 results.

I'd say it's highly likely they will vote yes to a 16/17 amendment, the only question is whether they then pull their support for the main Bill if that amendment is rejected (I think probably not, they'll probably vote for it with or without the amendment, whereas Labour might use it as an excuse to vote against the Bill itself).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Even by the standards of recent times, which make Alice in Wonderland look like a gritty documentary, this seems surreal. Boris is moving an early dissolution and Labour, at least, is opposing. Tomorrow we will have a bill for an election as well 3 days different. Why the **** does Boris not introduce that bill tonight? What is the point of his motion? Presumably he wants to show how absurdly obstructive Parliament is but anyone who doesn’t know that is simply not paying attention.
  • Options

Hope so. Bring it on.

If we lose and Brexit is cancelled democraticaly I can live with that. If that is the will of the voters so be it.

I would be more upset if we lose and see Corbyn and McDonnell in Downing Street.
  • Options

If the election goes ahead tomorrow, I wonder how many Labour MPs will decide not to contest their seats?
  • Options
    What's this from Corbyn about the unborn being disenfranchised if an election were held now?
  • Options

Not watching. Let me guess Ms Soubry not keen on a general? ;)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Why would Nicola not want 16- and 17-year-olds to vote? That probably alone would swing their top few target seats to them, even without any "proper" swing from the 2017 results.

I'd say it's highly likely they will vote yes to a 16/17 amendment, the only question is whether they then pull their support for the main Bill if that amendment is rejected (I think probably not, they'll probably vote for it with or without the amendment, whereas Labour might use it as an excuse to vote against the Bill itself).
    Nicola can win 50+ Seats in a December election without gerrymandering the franchise. She has no need to play games, she can win a fair fight and with it a mandate for a 2020 referendum which I hope she'd win.

Why jeopardise that playing silly buggers?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Where's the evidence that there's a majority in the House for a PV from Soubry?
    None
  • Options

I have little doubt
  • Options

Go figure.
    A significant difference is no party in parliament is likely to be campaigning for no deal in January, no one knew if that would be the case when the October election was being discussed. Many tory posters were cheering the possibility of a tory party campaigning for no deal.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Chris said:

Streeter said:

It’s newspeak.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Not watching. Let me guess Ms Soubry not keen on a general? ;)
    Terrified
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Even by the standards of recent times, which make Alice in Wonderland look like a gritty documentary, this seems surreal. Boris is moving an early dissolution and Labour, at least, is opposing. Tomorrow we will have a bill for an election as well 3 days different. Why the **** does Boris not introduce that bill tonight? What is the point of his motion? Presumably he wants to show how absurdly obstructive Parliament is but anyone who doesn’t know that is simply not paying attention.

Is it not simply because this vote was introduced first and there was no reason to cancel this debate and vote?
  • Options

I've said before that once the Brexit is sorted out I could see myself voting Lib-Dem/Swinson in a future general election.
  • Options
    That's both Blackford and Swinson saying votes for 16s and EU nationals not a priority for this bill.

Very wise.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    DavidL said:

He has lost control. In office but not in power. The only thing BJ likes is power or more precisely the trappings of power. He has crashed his party after only a few weeks by withdrawing the whip to 20 odd MPs...
  • Options

Hope so. Bring it on.

If we lose and Brexit is cancelled democraticaly I can live with that. If that is the will of the voters so be it.

I would be more upset if we lose and see Corbyn and McDonnell in Downing Street.

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Nicola can win 50+ Seats in a December election without gerrymandering the franchise. She has no need to play games, she can win a fair fight and with it a mandate for a 2020 referendum which I hope she'd win.

Why jeopardise that playing silly buggers?
    Because...

(a) while the SNP's chances are good anyway, they are probably even better with more younger voters enrolled, so why would she not take the chance of getting both an election and younger voters enfranchised?

(b) maybe, just maybe, the SNP believe in votes at 16 as a principle, and don't see it as "gerrymandering the franchise".
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

That's both Blackford and Swinson saying votes for 16s and EU nationals not a priority for this bill.

Very wise.

Thank fuck
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Streeter said:

Chris said:

Streeter said:

It’s newspeak.
    It's a typo.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Not going to happen. The one line is going through unamended on the evidence in the HOC just now
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Without the Lib Dem and SNP Bill it’s unlikely the three month extension would have been granted .

Whilst Corbyn was doing bugger all at least they had the sense to step in.
  • Options
    I also don't see why people view votes for 16 and 17 year olds as a "wrecking" amendment, or one that would cause the Tories to pull support for the Bill. I would've thought, even if that amendment passes, they would still support an election; they're too far committed to it now to back down.
  • Options

Go figure.
    There is no figuring. Labour is just an incoherent rambling mess.
  • Options
    Out of interest does anyone know how many 16/17 year olds there are, where they are, and whether they have been polled?

One million more voters split across 650 constituencies is 1500 votes. Doubt it would change the price of fish.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

+10000
  • Options
    Chris said:

What's this from Corbyn about the unborn being disenfranchised if an election were held now?

No idea but I am beyond listening to him to be honest
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Not going to happen. The one line is going through unamended on the evidence in the HOC just now
    I don't know how you've got that impression. Blackford implied that, while he would still support an election even without a 16/17 year olds amendment, he would still support that amendment. They aren't mutually exclusive, you know; something not being a "priority" or a "red line" doesn't preclude trying to get it if possible.

Of course, there's no guarantee of a majority for 16/17 year olds, even with SNP support.
  • Options

Streeter said:

Chris said:

Streeter said:

It’s newspeak.
    It's a typo.

I don't think there's no apostrophe in "it's" if you wish to be a grammar Nazi.
    I hope you realise that's a double negative ;-)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

DavidL said:

He has lost control. In office but not in power. The only thing BJ likes is power or more precisely the trappings of power. He has crashed his party after only a few weeks by withdrawing the whip to 20 odd MPs...
    Nope. They weren’t going to vote for his policies anyway. He wants an election. Fair enough. FWIW I think that he will win. He should be looking for the shortest line between 2 points, not messing about.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Out of interest does anyone know how many 16/17 year olds there are, where they are, and whether they have been polled?

One million more voters split across 650 constituencies is 1500 votes. Doubt it would change the price of fish.

Such votes would not be evenly distributed
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,901

Of course you would

You are a Tory she is a Tory.

Both voted for Austerity Neither voted against stopping US taking over the NHS Both are happy with the current system.

Only one Party represents real change and you will never vote for it.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Such votes would not be evenly distributed
    That’s why I asked if there’s been any work anyone knows of on where they are. Your point was pretty implicit in my post.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I also don't see why people view votes for 16 and 17 year olds as a "wrecking" amendment, or one that would cause the Tories to pull support for the Bill. I would've thought, even if that amendment passes, they would still support an election; they're too far committed to it now to back down.

It would be gerrymandering on an industrial scale.

I actually don't mind it because a majority government in the future would have a green light to gerrymander to their own benefit.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Streeter said:

Chris said:

Streeter said:

It’s newspeak.
    It's a typo.

I don't think there's no apostrophe in "it's" if you wish to be a grammar Nazi.
    I hope you realise that's a double negative ;-)
    Yeah, I already edited out that line immediately but too slow I guess, I don't particularly want to get into a pissing context about grammar 😂
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't know how you've got that impression. Blackford implied that, while he would still support an election even without a 16/17 year olds amendment, he would still support that amendment. They aren't mutually exclusive, you know; something not being a "priority" or a "red line" doesn't preclude trying to get it if possible.

Of course, there's no guarantee of a majority for 16/17 year olds, even with SNP support.
    No point as no time to do it

DUP very annoyed will not support the motion
This discussion has been closed.