Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the betting markets punters now make it a 3.7% chance that

1235»

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,209
    Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

Macron apparently just wants 15 day extension . However it’s not clear if he would agree to a longer one for an election .

It would seem strange for him to rule out the latter as that would be seen as even more political interference which the EU didn’t want .

Well clearly if it’s only 15 days then the only sane response is to revoke, the WA has significant problems, the WAIB is even worse so time to revoke to avoid making a stupid set of decisions which will impact the UK for years to come.
    Brexit IS a stupid decision which will impact the UK for years to come.
    Fixed your message for you.
    One might think the same about electing Corbyn but to block him from entering No 10 after an election if he had the confidence of the commons would be abhorrent.
    Exactly. Brexit does not have the confidence of the commons.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

Macron apparently just wants 15 day extension . However it’s not clear if he would agree to a longer one for an election .

It would seem strange for him to rule out the latter as that would be seen as even more political interference which the EU didn’t want .

Well clearly if it’s only 15 days then the only sane response is to revoke, the WA has significant problems, the WAIB is even worse so time to revoke to avoid making a stupid set of decisions which will impact the UK for years to come.
    Revoke IS a stupid decision which will impact the UK for years to come in a positive way.
    Fixed your message for you redux.
  • Options
    OT it looks like from the latest reports that the lorry driver in the container deaths case might be in the clear. The Telegraph says he only picked up the container half an hour before and might have been the one to alert the authorities.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

Revoke IS a stupid decision which will impact the UK for years to come in a positive way.
    Nope. The original was just fine. Revoke is a deeply stupid decision and anyone suggesting it needs their heads examining.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784

This Thread Has Passed On

• Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Revoke isn't going to happen.

No deal isn't going to happen either - unless MPs are incredibly stupid.

It comes down to extension length:

Short = Deal passed

Longer = GE
  • Options

Streeter said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

Nope. The original was just fine. Revoke is a deeply stupid decision and anyone suggesting it needs their heads examining.
    Its clearly not stupid as we will be a more prosperous country.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nico67 said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

If you want sane best leave the country! I’m afraid sanity ended in 2016.

The transition period gives you a chance to plan your escape route , just as I’m doing with getting my dual nationality.
    As I’m sure Mr Tyndall will be along shortly to tell you I have already escaped but in reality my escape depends entirely on how the UK treats EU citizens and it’s governments ability to agree a whole host of reciprocal deals to ensure health care and other ‘minor’ details. Apparently my escaping no longer gives me the right to have a view on what happens in the UK regardless to how it affects me.
    You are of course at liberty to have a view. It is just that since you have decided to leave the country that view is - in my opinion - largely worthless.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942
    rcs1000 said:

Re Hillary:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In 2016, Hillary owned the DNC. She locked up the superdelegates. Her people were in positions of control throughout the party.

Now, they're all gone.

She is the woman who lost to Donald Trump. She is aged and increasingly infirm, and wouldn't want to put herself through a bruising election campaign again. She's hated by a substantial minority in the Democratic Party. She has no organisation in Iowa or New Hampshire. She has no money.

She would get null delegates in Iowa. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Anyone who is backing her - even at 80-1 - is throwing their money down the toilet.

Unless you've laid back at half that ☺
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,286
    edited October 2019

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

One might think the same about electing Corbyn but to block him from entering No 10 after an election if he had the confidence of the commons would be abhorrent.
    The equivalent situation for Brexit was winning the ref though.

If one accepts your argument then upon another referendum (remain win) we could be simply taken out by a simple majority in the HoC in time anyway.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

The equivalent situation for Brexit was winning the ref though.

If one accepts your argument then upon another referendum (remain win) we could be simply taken out by a simple majority in the HoC in time anyway.
    That was always the case.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    nico67 said:

Macron can see there is an agreed deal that will get passed if the EU holds its nerve. The pyschodrama has an end point.

And he is right.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314
    I find the "Fixed It For You" habit of some posters on this forum deplorable.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

Revoke IS a stupid decision which will impact the UK for years to come.
    Far less than revoking which gives those who wish to leave to get together and come back with a coherent plan that has been intelligently put together, stress tested and can be put to the country with as much detail as the Leave campaign in Scotland did. This final cobbled together deal was done in less than three weeks and those new bits have the biggest holes in. The WAIB is dogs breakfast of future issues coupled with duplicitous subterfuge to sneak anti democratic measures through. I’ll leave you with one, the government wants to remove the minimum time that ANY international treaty has to be considered by parliament. Along with other back door attempts to take control away from parliament.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942

Labour just need to back an election ffs. Stop fannying about.

That would not be my advice to them.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Streeter said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

Anybody who forces this pile of shit needs their head examining
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,978

I absolutely agree that the way the referendum was set up lies at the root of the problem

52% voted for the leave option But whichever leave option we choose (from EFTA to No Deal) a clear majority of voters will be opposed to it.

We have been stuck going round and round in the same circle since 2016. We have to leave to honour the result but a majority oppose every way of leaving that has been suggested.

In order to avoid the mess we are in "leave" should have been clearly defined before we voted, if it could not be defined at that point there should have been a ratification referendum built into the process to take place once "leave" had finally been defined. Cameron has a lot to answer for
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

The transition period gives you a chance to plan your escape route , just as I’m doing with getting my dual nationality.
    As I’m sure Mr Tyndall will be along shortly to tell you I have already escaped but in reality my escape depends entirely on how the UK treats EU citizens and it’s governments ability to agree a whole host of reciprocal deals to ensure health care and other ‘minor’ details. Apparently my escaping no longer gives me the right to have a view on what happens in the UK regardless to how it affects me.
    You are of course at liberty to have a view. It is just that since you have decided to leave the country that view is - in my opinion - largely worthless.
    I think that’s unfair . In terms of using your freedom of movement . Brits did that in good faith not expecting their lives to be upended years later . It would be different if your point was in terms of domestic matters but Brexit is not purely in that vein as it impacts many Brits who live in the EU .

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    nico67 said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

nichomar said:

nico67 said:

I think that’s unfair . In terms of using your freedom of movement . Brits did that in good faith not expecting their lives to be upended years later . It would be different if your point was in terms of domestic matters but Brexit is not purely in that vein as it impacts many Brits who live in the EU .

It does the reverse for French or German nationals married to a Brit who might have lived here 50-55 years, worked, paid taxes, now draw a state pension, etc. Germans especially aren't allowed dual nationality and they typically didn't get around to bothering to change nationality. In the EU it just didn't matter.

I know someone who fears deportation. Guy Verhofstadt said on behalf of all of them that the EU Parliament wouldn't stand for it.

It's got to an absurd point when a Belgian politician has to stand up for the rights of people who've lived in the UK for 30 or even 60 years. The ones I know moved here somewhat before the UK joined the EEC. But they had no fears then like they do now. Possibly EFTA also offered protection.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    geoffw said:

I find the "Fixed It For You" habit of some posters on this forum adorable.

Fixed it for you.
This discussion has been closed.