Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the betting markets punters now make it a 40% chance that t

Comments

• Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

I hope all the Labour MP's in leave constituencies...whether they lose the whip or not... they should get deselected by their local members

Who are likely to be Leavers as well. Why would they deselect someone who was representing their views?
    No, in those constituencies the Labour membership (and most of the Lab 2017 voters) are Remainers.

Tory supporting Lab MPs are at high risk of deselection.
    Any Lab BoJoer is gone...FUBARed....and deservedly so....

my personal contempt for any Labour MP that votes for this deal would be unrivalled-

It shows how far off the deep end Labour members have gone that they think making an anti-Semite PM is fine, but voting for a compromise deal supported by Varadkar is unacceptable.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Good news for labour they have a rock solid Liverpool council seat to defend tonight
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    On topic, a fairly big move towards leaving on 31 Oct in the betting. 48% chance now, from 25% earlier

• Options
    It does make you wonder how many are set to vote for the deal. The more do, the more strength they have. We know 19 wrote to the EU wanting a deal and some say upto 40 could be tempted

Personally I think 20 is very possible otherwise if it was only a few they would be threatened with losing the whip
  • Options

It does make you wonder how many are set to vote for the deal. The more do, the more strength they have. We know 19 wrote to the EU wanting a deal and some say upto 40 could be tempted

Personally I think 20 is very possible otherwise if it was only a few they would be threatened with losing the whip
    How many constitutes a crisis for Labour?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Good news for labour they have a rock solid Liverpool council seat to defend tonight

Interestingly the ward is in the Liverpool Riverside constituency of Louise Ellman who resigned from the Labour Party yesterday.
  • Options

20 plus
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    isam said:

On topic, a fairly big move towards leaving on 31 Oct in the betting. 48% chance now, from 25% earlier

I think even if the Deal passes there will need to be a technical extension before we officially leave so check the small print.

Obviously not an issue if we No Deal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Possibly more of a crisis for Labour if this vote DOESN'T get voted through.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Newsnight: Labour MP Ronnie Campbell to vote for a deal for the first time.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Letwin is supposedly putting down an amendment to keep the Benn Act in place until the WAIB is passed .

This is to stop some last minute dramas which might happen once MPs see that bill .

• Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

I think even if the Deal passes there will need to be a technical extension before we officially leave so check the small print.

Obviously not an issue if we No Deal.
    Juncker did say we would leave on the 31st and start talks on a FTA immediately on the 1st November. This has been backed up by other sources.

So if the deal passes we are out on the 31st and I assume for betting purposes as well
  • Options
    Game changer. As the old adage goes, where goes Sneckyeat South Ward, so goes Sneckyeat North Ward.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    tyson said:

Who is the geriatric fuckwit Brexiter Lab MP on NewsNight..?

Hashtag kickoutLabBoJoarselickers

Ronnie Kray
  • Options
    Tonight more than ever it is a real shame that there is no This Week on BBC1 after QT.

Portillo was a great judge of politics; he predicted Leave, Trump, and most impressively, having been a vehement critic of Boris, said that him winning a big majority in the Tory leadership was the best thing that could happen in order to get Brexit done.
  • Options
  • Options
    isam said:

Tonight more than ever it is a real shame that there is no This Week on BBC1 after QT.

Portillo was a great judge of politics; he predicted Leave, Trump, and most impressively, having been a vehement critic of Boris, said that him winning a big majority in the Tory leadership was the best thing that could happen in order to get Brexit done.

Interesting to see how little support there was for BoZo's Deal in the #BBCQT audience, just 3 hands raised, and quite a bit of support for the BXP..
  • Options
    Keith Vaz has been reselected by Leicester East CLP.

Because everything can change in British politics. But Vaz will always survive.
  • Options

Keith Vaz has been reselected by Leicester East CLP.

Because everything can change in British politics. But Vaz will always survive.

Rent boys everywhere are rejoicing at the news
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,446
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Interesting to see how little support there was for BoZo's Deal in the #BBCQT audience, just 3 hands raised, and quite a bit of support for the BXP..
    Is it interesting?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited October 2019
    That is a strong Labour leave ward in my neck of the woods and Labour have paid the price for faffing about on Brexit.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,709

.... if this extension would be for a general election, a second referendum or a referendum on this deal....

So hang on.... an extension for
    (1) A GE
    (2) A second ref
    (3) A ref on this specific deal

Aren't (2) and (3) the same? Or do they (whoever they are) really think we're just going to rerun 2016?! What if we voted a 'generic' LEAVE again? Do we do another three years of negotiation?

• Options

Foxy said:

isam said:

Is it interesting?
    Shows how representative QT is with 40:31 in favour on Comres poll
  • Options
    So the labour yes so far are Ronnie Campbell, Jim Fitzpatrick and Ruth Smeeth?
  • Options
    If you do the comparison with the council elections in 2019, then the changes are:
    Labour +1.0
    Green -4.6
    LibDem +3.2
    Conservative +1.6
    No Liberal (-1.1%) as previously.
    Which is a similar sort of picture, but with a smaller rise in the Labour share.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    isam said:

I believe Portillo predicted that Remain would win. That’s why he was against holding a referendum.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Foxy said:

isam said:

Is it interesting?
    Yes, the show has a Leave biased audience, unlike #bbcaq which has an audience biased Remain. I think the Deal rather underwhelming.

While the three Leicester seats are Labour, the other seven Leics seats are Tory. Leicester was narrowly for Remain, Leicestershire 55%Leave.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,446
    Worth Boris giving the DUP even more money. And peerages all round. Arise Baron Dodds?
  • Options
    isam said:

Wowzers

I just, utterly nerdily, downloaded a random This Week from 13/06/19

Michael Portillo’s prediction?

Boris, who has no political principles whatsoever, will go back and get a backstop that applies only to Northern Ireland
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Newsnight: Labour MP Ronnie Campbell to vote for a deal for the first time.

Why vote for an ok one when you can wait and vote for a worse one?

To try and keep your job and expenses!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Wowzers

I just, utterly nerdily, downloaded a random This Week from 13/06/19

Michael Portillo’s prediction?

Boris, who has no political principles whatsoever, will go back and get a backstop that applies only to Northern Ireland
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/brexit/2019/06/15/news/michael-portillo-makes-prediction-over-boris-johnson-s-brexit-backstop-plan-1642500/
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    Looking at the electionmaps list, Johnson needs 6 votes from these 13:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Although I'm a bit dubious about all the ominously quiet spartans.
  • Options

isam said:

I believe Portillo predicted that Remain would win. That’s why he was against holding a referendum.
    He warned Cameron of the danger of holding a referendum because he thought Leave would win, in 2013

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9813975/Michael-Portillo-attacks-David-Camerons-dangerous-EU-referendum.html
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Benyon is ex Tory, and on pretty good terms with BJ iirc, the only one of the 21 boris spoke to personally at the time
  • Options

Worth Boris giving the DUP even more money. And peerages all round. Arise Baron Dodds?

It doesn’t matter how much money is offered. The DUP won’t be voting for this deal .

• Options

twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1184900824608264193?s=20

Certainly starting from a lot closer point than May attempts.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    I think this was before Corbyn announced it'd be basically a free vote for Labour MPs?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited October 2019
    Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

The question is whether there can exist any real world Brexit deal that the diehard leavers will actually vote for?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    It is interesting that Boris has gone for this - if he cannot get it through he faces a GE with BXP saying it is a shambles, DUP angry and not willing to cooperate should he come up short at a GE (at least not on Brexit), and potentially still some furious ERGers who sold out to back his deal and it didn't even pass.

Credit to him, he really did mean it when he said he wanted a deal, but so far its likely same as the May deal in outcome, but a bit closer because a few more ERGers are on board.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    I’ve been working like a dog all week.

Do I understand this correctly, we can keep any exports in the SM and CU by shipping them via Northern Ireland? I.e. if I want to export to continental Europe, I ship via Belfast and get into the SM and CU by the back door? I’m sure that is wrong, but can someone summarise?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

It is interesting that Boris has gone for this - if he cannot get it through he faces a GE with BXP saying it is a shambles, DUP angry and not willing to cooperate should he come up short at a GE (at least not on Brexit), and potentially still some furious ERGers who sold out to back his deal and it didn't even pass.

Credit to him, he really did mean it when he said he wanted a deal, but so far its likely same as the May deal in outcome, but a bit closer because a few more ERGers are on board.
    If we have a GE and the Tories still need DUP support to form a government, Brexit ain't getting done.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

My guess is that Lamb will abstain and Greening will vote against.

Hoey, Woodcock and Rudd will - I suspect - vote in favour.

No strong views on the rest.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

He warned Cameron of the danger of holding a referendum because he thought Leave would win, in 2013

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9813975/Michael-Portillo-attacks-David-Camerons-dangerous-EU-referendum.html
    He also said that voting Leave would be the best way to get a renegotiation so we end up remaining and that if you believe Leave means Leave, you’ll believe anything...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=94iVd2x7EO0
  • Options

Benyon is ex Tory, and on pretty good terms with BJ iirc, the only one of the 21 boris spoke to personally at the time

Yeah sorry, made a mess of the formatting. Long day.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Hoey is a confirmed no someone earlier reported. I know Lamb has moved a bit, but if he didn't back the May deal? Kinnock? Don't make me laugh. Woodcock is a committed referendumite?

Enough of the rest?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

He also said that voting Leave would be the best way to get a renegotiation so we end up remaining and that if you believe Leave means Leave, you’ll believe anything...

Wasn’t that Bozo’s position, back in the day?
  • Options
    isam said:

Portillo predicted remain would win.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Hasn’t Hoey as good as said she’ll follow the DUP?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think this was before Corbyn announced it'd be basically a free vote for Labour MPs?
    Might shift a few, but if their logic was they didn't like May's deal they won't like this one either (as it is Boris), and can claim to back a new negotiation to change the deal further - after all, the EU just proved they will do that.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Yes, I just saw that. Well he wasn’t far off there either
  • Options

Do I understand this correctly, we can keep any exports in the SM and CU by shipping them via Northern Ireland? I.e. if I want to export to continental Europe, I ship via Belfast and get into the SM and CU by the back door? I’m sure that is wrong, but can someone summarise?

No, except for small personal items, EU duty is to be paid on entry to NI and reclaimed from NI HMRC. Presumably they would want to be certain the goods were not crossing the border. At least that is my understanding.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Isn't Lamb in the get it done camp? And he is stepping down at GE, so he doesn't have to worry about party standing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

The question is whether there can exist any real world Brexit deal that the diehard leavers will actually vote for?
    Well Francois the biggest moron on the planet is voting for the deal, so maybe there's hope for the rest
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

I don’t think he meant it - and it didn't look like he meant it, or was even trying - until Benn boxed him in with the only alternative being an even more damaging extension.

For a while it looked as if he was considering breaking the law as a preferable alternative - until that evidence given to the court in scotland.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's reminding me that people said there was little point in potential Labour rebels supporting Theresa May, because she was always losing by a large enough margin to make breaking ranks symbolic.

Now it is likely to change the outcome of the vote.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Hoey is a confirmed no someone earlier reported. I know Lamb has moved a bit, but if he didn't back the May deal? Kinnock? Don't make me laugh. Woodcock is a committed referendumite?

Enough of the rest?
    Woodcock is a reluctant referendumite. He may vote for to get it done, he abstained on Benn
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Isn't Lamb in the get it done camp? And he is stepping down at GE, so he doesn't have to worry about party standing.
    Lamb is a semi detached LD these days
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

I am a big fan of Lamb (putting aside Brexit stuff). It is a huge shame he is going.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

I am a big fan of Lamb (putting aside Brexit stuff). It is a huge shame he is going.
    He'd have made a good leader
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    Great deal. NI will now be in the EU economic area, for 80% of intents and purposes. Next there will probably have to be some kind of formal representation in Dublin / Strasbourg.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Lamb voted against May's Deal.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11032/norman_lamb/north_norfolk/divisions?policy=6761

I haven't seen him comment on BoZo's Deal.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11032/norman_lamb/north_norfolk/divisions?policy=6761

Hes part of MPs for a deal. There was talk a few months ago around the TIG period of him being an 'indy liberal' like boles is an indy Tory
  • Options
    Foxy said:

No, except for small personal items, EU duty is to be paid on entry to NI and reclaimed from NI HMRC. Presumably they would want to be certain the goods were not crossing the border. At least that is my understanding.
    So NI is effectively remaining in the EU and there’s a duty watershed in the Irish Sea? Wow. That’s a much more EU-friendly deal than I expected.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Great deal. NI will now be in the EU economic area, for 80% of intents and purposes. Next there will probably have to be some kind of formal representation in Dublin / Strasbourg.

Perhaps a seat in the Dáil would convince Arlene Foster to back it? ;)
  • Options
    I think it’s pretty certain any Labour MP voting for the deal will be deselected by their local party . The membership is overwhelmingly Remain and it effectively cements a Tory election win if Labour MPs help this over the line .

Labour know the only chance to win and it’s slim anyway is to have a GE before Brexit . The message to Labour MPs should be voting for this deal is voting to keep Johnson as PM for the next 5 years .

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Not detached enough back at MV3 to back it. Imminent retirement might free him up but I would think the party will apply huge pressure to get unanimous support from their mps. Its presumably why lloyd resigned the whip despite still being a party member.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    Is Biden '20 = Giuliani '08?
  • Options

No because Rules of Origin.
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Hes part of MPs for a deal. There was talk a few months ago around the TIG period of him being an 'indy liberal' like boles is an indy Tory
    Mps for a deal have not had a chance to prove if they are in fact all mouth and no trousers. Others in that group are not close to saying yes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No because Rules of Origin.
    Rebadged in Belfast?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Portillo predicted remain would win.
    Did he? I can’t find that via google

He definitely voted Leave
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

To get a Tory majority under FPTP no, provided they don't all vote Labour

The voice of British democracy. For ever and ever.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

Mps for a deal have not had a chance to prove if they are in fact all mouth and no trousers. Others in that group are not close to saying yes.

I had a look through the 19 Lab MPs who wrote that letter to Tusk, and seems like 4: Barron, Fitzpatrick, Smeeth and Snell. Apparently 5 voted for May's last try.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,787
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes, I just saw that. Well he wasn’t far off there either
    Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...

Anyhoo @isam , I need to ask you a question. The odds on a No Deal departure by 31st are really long: 6/1. But we only have 13 days to departure and Boris might not have the numbers. Given that, 6/1 has got to be value, surely?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:

exCon:
    Anne Milton (exCon)
    Amber Rudd (exCon)
    Justine Greening (exCon)
    Margot James (exCon)

exLab:
    Ivan Lewis
    Mike Hill
    Richard Benyon
    John Woodcock

Lab:
    Stephen Kinnock LAB
    Melanie Onn LAB
    Kate Hoey LAB
    Rosie Cooper LAB

Lib:
    Norman Lamb LDM

Enough of the rest?
    Hoey is a definite no if her recent tweets are anything to go by. She would only move if the DUP did.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nico67 said:

I think it’s pretty certain any Labour MP voting for the deal will be deselected by their local party . The membership is overwhelmingly Remain and it effectively cements a Tory election win if Labour MPs help this over the line .

Labour know the only chance to win and it’s slim anyway is to have a GE before Brexit . The message to Labour MPs should be voting for this deal is voting to keep Johnson as PM for the next 5 years .

Hate to break it to you - under the Trot leadership you don't win. Period.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I notice the BBC are saying Mark Field is standing down at the next election over Brexit. He thinks the UK should Remain. So will he vote for the deal? This also makes it easier for Chukka Umunna to take the seat.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

I notice the BBC are saying Mark Field is standing down at the next election over Brexit. He thinks the UK should Remain. So will he vote for the deal? This also makes it easier for Chukka Umunna to take the seat.

I thought it was reported he would vote for it.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    RobD said:

Indeed, on the website it has he will whereas the text on TV it does not. Still an interesting development for the next election.
  • Options

RobD said:

Indeed, on the website it has he will whereas the text on TV it does not. Still an interesting development for the next election.
    On his website he says “naturally I shall support it”.
  • Options
    Re. Mark Field - There was a Womens Equality Party protest outside what they claim was his reselection meeting. WEP is fielding candidates against incumbents they allege face claims of abuse of women. All of their candidates have experienced abuse themselves. The protestors were dressed in red dresses identical to the female protester Field was filmed restraining.

The broad insuation they are making is his statement re Brexit is to disguise the ' real ' reason for his departure. Something I'm sure he would contest. However the WEP are claiming this is a sucess for their campaign.
  • Options
    Does Mark Field quiting help or hinder Chuka Umunna ? I don't know. A loss of incumbency coupled with a fairly unhelpful statement on Brexit from the departing MP says Yes. But Mark Field was a very damaged candidate because of that video footage. So is a chance to reset the Tory campaign actually helpful ?
  • Options
    In other news I've just noticed it's the DUP's annual conference next week. What timing !
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019

Does Mark Field quiting help or hinder Chuka Umunna ? I don't know. A loss of incumbency coupled with a fairly unhelpful statement on Brexit from the departing MP says Yes. But Mark Field was a very damaged candidate because of that video footage. So is a chance to reset the Tory campaign actually helpful ?

Might help him a bit in my opinion. Mark Field was a pretty good fit for the constituency.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,678
    edited October 2019
    https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1184950990073716736?s=20

The Trump Organization on Thursday said it was “honored” to have been chosen by its owner, the president, for this event.

“We are excited to have been asked to host the 2020 G-7 Summit at Trump National Doral,” the company said in a statement.

But the company did not respond to questions about how much money it will make off this event.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

EPG said:

Perhaps a seat in the Dáil would convince Arlene Foster to back it? ;)
    Dublin's chequebook aint big enough......Berlin and Paris's deep pockets however may sweeten the Party that likes to say No
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    More to the point, nobody wants to read an article saying, "A deal is now 3% more likely than it was last week", they want to hear an ooh and an aah. OK, some people do, but it's a niche interest, and they're all here.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,787
    Balrog said:

Transferwise. Can change currency in seconds 24 hours per day. Costs 0.3%. I tried to hedge by getting some euro when it got to 1.15 expecting it to fall again. But it didnt... Also Revolut but 0.5% cost after initial free amount.

@Balrog . That is useful, thank you
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT Russian (probably) hackers who attacked the US DNC are now active against at least three EU countries.
    https://www.welivesecurity.com/2019/10/17/operation-ghost-dukes-never-left/

Luckily, no-one has ever been influenced by campaigning and we are leaving the EU anyway, so that's all right then.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    viewcode said:

Balrog said:

Transferwise. Can change currency in seconds 24 hours per day. Costs 0.3%. I tried to hedge by getting some euro when it got to 1.15 expecting it to fall again. But it didnt... Also Revolut but 0.5% cost after initial free amount.

@Balrog . That is useful, thank you
    Why don’t you guys just buy a short GBP/USD or short GBP/EUR ETF rather than messing around with currency conversions and Ladbrokes bets?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    edited October 2019
    Norm said:

That is a strong Labour leave ward in my neck of the woods and Labour have paid the price for faffing about on Brexit.
    Is that a Tory GAIN?

I think if we give the UKIP vote to the Brexit party it gives us an idea of what might happen in a GE.

Now we need to see some marginal labour LEAVE areas in the north
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    If the DUP oppose the deal, hopefully Boris will claw back the billion or so that they extorted from TM for preventing Corbyn becoming Prime Minister in 2017. With interest. And surcharges.
This discussion has been closed.