Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » News Scotland only poll has the Tories losing most of the gain

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Here comes the probably false hope.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Teddy Taylor Time Machine Tactics for the fourth try
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133

On the plus side, I'm glad that the sickly 'I always support the home nations' guff seems to have been completely dispensed with.

Best about it is , despite always getting easy starts , England are always on the next plane home after us.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005

Pulpstar said:

Do Scotland need 36 or 35 pts at this moment ?

Need to win by 8 or more (and another try)
    Oof that make it tough. At some point they should take a penalty if they get one between the posts though.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

I see HYUFD is framing the SCons 'only' losing 2/3 of their seats as a good result; marvellous stuff.

Wings Over Scotland will be disappointed at these numbers, his constant theme nowadays is that the SNP are doing it all wrong.

He seems to have lost the plot recently. Not happy that his suggested Wings party did not go down well.
    Afternoon Malky and TUD, I'm late to the scrum (out for an autumnal walk amidst the fungi). Given that whether we have Brexit or not will make a perhapos crucial difference to the actual results, have I missed much?
    Afternoon. The polling certainly suggests that hard or no deal Brexit will have a Union ending effect. Whichever outcome, the idea that the SNP and/or Indy are on the brink of being killed stone dead (regularly predicted on here) seems for the birds.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

Cracking game of rugby.

Not for Scotland
    True - splintering would be closer to the mark.
    They must be fielding Scottish Tories today
    Ruth and Annabel Goldie are second row
    Are you saying they were not ruthless?
    David Macletchie just scored!
    Did he use a taxi
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

Cracking game of rugby.

Not for Scotland
    They are big enough for sure, put Fiji and Tonga to shame
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

Cracking game of rugby.

Not for Scotland
    Did he use a taxi
    I've just realised he is actually dead isn't he?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

Not over yet. But I can’t see Japan not scoring more.

Moreover the score for qualification now is basically 35-14.
    ?? Does 36 - 28 mean Scotland qualify?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    malcolmg said:

On the plus side, I'm glad that the sickly 'I always support the home nations' guff seems to have been completely dispensed with.

Best about it is , despite always getting easy starts , England are always on the next plane home after us.
    Possibly not this time.
    They are good enough to have a chance, though it will be interesting to see how Ford performs if the scrum comes under real pressure.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Stirring stuff from Scotland. What a match

no doubt they will end up a point short of qualifying
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

It's not the despair, it's the hope I can't stand...

Is that Brexit or rugby?
    You have hope - about Brexit????
    It is about I have left, and a thin, vain hope at that. The Brexiting Nationalists have damaged the UK beyond repair. No matter what the outcome we are diminished by this incompetent, dishonest shambles of a process.

Any half-competent project manager could have had the outline of a successful Brexit done in an afternoon.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Priti Patel on Marr. That smirk is not a good look

There's not many people whom I look at and think they are pure evil, but Patel is one of them. If someone told me there was an MP who went around in the dead of night quietly sliding knives into the necks of sleeping homeless people, she would be my first, second and third guesses.
    To be fair, she's my MP, and I had a problem over Dartford Crossing payments. She was very helpful.
    To be fair, I don't know much about her. I'm realise my gut instinct is probably wrong, but I do have that gut instinct. I honestly would move heaven and earth to avoid being alone with her.
    Face to face she can be quite pleasant, if only to look at. I've met her several times and I suspect that because I'm polite she thinks I'm a supporter. However, the last time we met she said something about 'Would you like Corbyn as Prime Minister?" and I said, slowly, something like 'Well.....'
    She looked horrified.
    Her face is nice enough. She is broad-beamed further down. Or, to be blunt, she has a big fat arse and her choice of clothes do her no favour by emphasising her size.

She may be doing it on purpose, of course.

Anyway, I have my first serious cold and sore throat of the season so you can put my uncharacteristic acidity down to that.
    Wish you well. Large whisky and honey perhaps?
    I cannot abide honey. Even the smell makes me heave. My mother used to put it in warm milk for me and I loathed it. And whisky too. Sorry.

So it's Buttercup lotion from the chemist + lots of Ibruprofen and keeping warm. Am due for my flu injection this week and, joking aside, my lungs are so damaged that I need to avoid infection so the key is not to let it get to my chest, which is easier said than done what with them being rubbish.

Fortunately I have lots of box sets of nice TV shows to catch up on.
    Honeybush tea from South Africa is very good for coughs. It doesn't actually taste of honey but is naturally slightly sweet. You can drink it with or without milk but it is more effective without. It's distantly related to the more well-known rooibos but much nicer IMO.
  • Options
    That prop japan have brought on is a massive unit!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600

Sandpit said:

GIN1138 said:

timmo said:

Have any of the ERG brigade popped up in the MSM this morning?
    Silence is very deafening

JRM has a piece here

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/12/plea-brexiteers-must-trust-boris/
    Dominic Cummings must have wargamed that it is better to have Jacob Rees-Mogg inside the Cabinet tent pissing out, rather than leaving him to fester and plot with the ERG. JRM stepped down on being appointed Leader of the House. Steve Baker replaced JRM as ERG big cheese (his second stint).

JRM has taken the King's Shilling. He now has to dance to the tune.
    Doesn’t he ‘attend cabinet’, without being a member of it?
    That is because there are only upright chairs around the table. JRM needs somewhere to lounge.....
    :lol:
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,721

Corbyn just now on Sky

'I will not countenance a Scots Independence referendum in the early years of a labour government'

Independence may well have happened by the time Corbyn has a Labour Govt...
    Get this wrong, and the next time there is a Labour government we could’ve invented FTL drive.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

Cracking game of rugby.

Not for Scotland
    They are big enough for sure, put Fiji and Tonga to shame
    I think we need the Scots fans on the crossbar after this one
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

Stirring stuff from Scotland. What a match

no doubt they will end up a point short of qualifying
    Archie Gemmil to score a brilliant but utterly futile try ;)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Byronic said:

Cracking game of rugby.

Not for Scotland
    Did he use a taxi
    I've just realised he is actually dead isn't he?
    He is indeed some years ago
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not by me, and what is sickly about it? This isn't politics, if nationalism has a reasonable place to be displayed its something harmless like a sporting competition. Does it trigger you or something?
    I don't think I'm the one being triggered.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014

Cyclefree said:

Wearing clothes that show off her massive arse and hips...... I suspect she's spent money on those clothes and, oh dear, she forgot to buy a full-length mirror as well.

After a few minutes on Google Image... Ye Gods!!!!! I see what you mean.

Some wardrobe advice is desperately needed as is a visit to M&S's fitting service...
    Yourself and Cyclefree really ought to post full length pictures of yourselves so we can see what the catwalks are missing
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Possibly not this time.
    They are good enough to have a chance, though it will be interesting to see how Ford performs if the scrum comes under real pressure.
    yes , need to see when they play a big team how it is likely to go. Been just training matches so far.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Danny565 said:

blueblue said:

Danny565 said:

blueblue said:

Danny565 said:

So much for PBTories' insistence that "Labour won't have ANY excuse to stop an election once the extension is agreed!!!".
    Well, no excuse other than the fact that Labour are craven cowards who know that their leader and party are an electoral Chernobyl...
    If you think the "Corbyn's a chicken" line is effective, why did the Tories drop it after about two days?
    Why did Corbyn say he'd love an election once No Deal was off the table, unless he is both a liar and a coward?
    I'm convinced we will have an election soon. We don't have a properly functioning government. The Opposition are unable or unwilling to replace the present government with the current composition of the Commons.

Therefore we must have an election. And soon.
    We haven't had a properly functioning government since atleast last autumn (arguably since the 2017 election), yet an early election hasn't been triggered before now. It doesn't happen unless/until a majority of the current Commons think it's in their interest.

It might be different if the public was crying out demanding an election, but, despite PBTories' wishful thinking, I don't see much evidence of it. Just as, despite the wishes of some people on the other side, there doesn't seem much public fervour for a second Brexit referendum (sure, poll questions might produce majorities in favour of an election or referendum when people are pushed, but that doesn't necessarily mean a genuine desperation for one).

As much as people castigate politicians for being unable to make a final decision on Brexit, it seems to me that the public are not very keen to take on the responsibility of making a decision themselves, either.
    That's not true. The government under May passed a budget and although it lost key Brexit votes it retained a formal majority with support from the DUP. The situation now has markedly deteriorated.

Unless the opponents to Johnson's Brexit plan can put a government together to steer us through a referendum (or whatever else), then I think we must have an election.

I have doubts that Johnson could pass a finance bill. The situation is grave.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

I see HYUFD is framing the SCons 'only' losing 2/3 of their seats as a good result; marvellous stuff.

Wings Over Scotland will be disappointed at these numbers, his constant theme nowadays is that the SNP are doing it all wrong.

He seems to have lost the plot recently. Not happy that his suggested Wings party did not go down well.
    Afternoon Malky and TUD, I'm late to the scrum (out for an autumnal walk amidst the fungi). Given that whether we have Brexit or not will make a perhapos crucial difference to the actual results, have I missed much?
    Afternoon. The polling certainly suggests that hard or no deal Brexit will have a Union ending effect. Whichever outcome, the idea that the SNP and/or Indy are on the brink of being killed stone dead (regularly predicted on here) seems for the birds.
    I think it is now just how hard a Brexit they manage and then a fight to get the referendum. They will be crapping it to have one given current landscape.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Wearing clothes that show off her massive arse and hips...... I suspect she's spent money on those clothes and, oh dear, she forgot to buy a full-length mirror as well.

Some wardrobe advice is desperately needed as is a visit to M&S's fitting service...
    Yourself and Cyclefree really ought to post full length pictures of yourselves so we can see what the catwalks are missing
    Now now Isam keep it classy
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    I didn't realise that Japan has a team in Super Rugby. That must be a big help for their development.
  • Options
    Mardy Jocks losing it...
  • Options
    Calm doon, lads.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I would never manage a catwalk - I am not 6 feet tall and grossly malnourished ;)

FYI I am about 1.72m and a size 14 with an hour glass figure and take a size 14 tailored fit. Paint your own mental picture.

Describe yourself Mr Isam. Fair's fair....
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Danny565 said:

blueblue said:

Danny565 said:

blueblue said:

Danny565 said:

So much for PBTories' insistence that "Labour won't have ANY excuse to stop an election once the extension is agreed!!!".
    Well, no excuse other than the fact that Labour are craven cowards who know that their leader and party are an electoral Chernobyl...
    If you think the "Corbyn's a chicken" line is effective, why did the Tories drop it after about two days?
    Why did Corbyn say he'd love an election once No Deal was off the table, unless he is both a liar and a coward?
    I'm convinced we will have an election soon. We don't have a properly functioning government. The Opposition are unable or unwilling to replace the present government with the current composition of the Commons.

We haven't had a properly functioning government since atleast last autumn (arguably since the 2017 election), yet an early election hasn't been triggered before now. It doesn't happen unless/until a majority of the current Commons think it's in their interest.

It might be different if the public was crying out demanding an election, but, despite PBTories' wishful thinking, I don't see much evidence of it. Just as, despite the wishes of some people on the other side, there doesn't seem much public fervour for a second Brexit referendum (sure, poll questions might produce majorities in favour of an election or referendum when people are pushed, but that doesn't necessarily mean a genuine desperation for one).

As much as people castigate politicians for being unable to make a final decision on Brexit, it seems to me that the public are not very keen to take on the responsibility of making a decision themselves, either.
    That's not true. The government under May passed a budget and although it lost key Brexit votes it retained a formal majority with support from the DUP. The situation now has markedly deteriorated.

Unless the opponents to Johnson's Brexit plan can put a government together to steer us through a referendum (or whatever else), then I think we must have an election.

Yep - we are now reaching a point where Jeremy Corbyn - yes, that Jeremy Corbyn - is deliberately choosing to keep a Tory Government and Boris Johnson in power.

So either he knows he'd lose an election badly, or he's actually a secret Tory...
  • Options

Danny565 said:

blueblue said:

Danny565 said:

blueblue said:

Danny565 said:

He has to throw NI under the bus to have any hope of a deal, given how perfidious the Tories are that will be easy and then it si just years of turmoil as they try to get an FTA and manage Scotland going independent. Plenty of work for lawyers and negotiators for years to come.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

50% for No still after the Brexit vote suggests otherwise, especially as that excludes Don't Knows too, even if support for No falls a little bit further in a No Deal scenario
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Just waiting for their follow up on a female Remainer just to show the unjustifiable comments are not solely about politics.

• Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

All this talk of chunky arses reminds me of the best way to get rid of a girlfriend without having to dump her. You just wait for her next birthday and give her a gift voucher for one of those companies that specialise in clothes for utter monsters. Curvissa etc.
    #thuglife
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    CNN on Dem race.

"Only three times has a candidate not in the top three at this point won a nomination. Those were George McGovern in 1972, Jimmy Carter in 1976 and John Kerry in 2004."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/12/politics/joe-biden-elizabeth-warren-polls/index.html

Biden, Warren and Sanders are top three.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Growing older hasn’t been kind to her, to be fair. Physically
    It is not kind to any of us ...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    My cold cure is a home made ear drop made of distilled water (ordinary water would probably be fine though) and hydrogen peroxide. It bubbles up in your ears for a minute or so and then you drain it out. H2O2 kills pathogens very aggressively, but it surprised me that putting it in your ears worked so well. At the very least you get your ears cleansed out.
  • Options

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I would never manage a catwalk - I am not 6 feet tall and grossly malnourished ;)

FYI I am about 1.72m and a size 14 with an hour glass figure and take a size 14 tailored fit. Paint your own mental picture.

Describe yourself Mr Isam. Fair's fair....
    6ft, 12 stone, 32 waist, 15 1/2 shirt

A throwaway comment about someone is fair, but I think the pair of you overstepped the mark.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

50% for No still after the Brexit vote suggests otherwise, especially as that excludes Don't Knows too, even if support for No falls a little bit further in a No Deal scenario
    Wearily reels out the standard response:

WELL ISSUE A FECKING SECTION 3O ORDER IF YOU THINK YOU'RE HARD ENOUGH
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    This thread has been turned over.
  • Options
    Scotland running out of time

Brave effort though
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nothing works, everything aches and time will only go forwards. It's a casserole of shit.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2019
    Canada is heading for electoral stalemate, with the Quebec separatists potentially holding the balance of power. The election is on 21st October. Latest forecast:

Con 140
    Lib 135
    BQ 33
    NDP 25
    Grn 4
    PPC 1

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/
  • Options
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Just waiting for their follow up on a female Remainer just to show the unjustifiable comments are not solely about politics.
    Is that how sad you have become? You think that a badly chosen wardrobe discussion is because she is a Leaver?

TMay came in for a lot of stick about her wardrobe choices too - epsecially some of those awful jackets she liked and Leavers repeatedly call Mrs May a Remainer, so the event has already happened and you missed it.

• Options
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I know but what they said was true, no way to sugar coat it.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

It does seem remarkable that Tories think that it's an outrage for anyone to block an electoral contest that they think they'd win (like an election soon), yet they're perfectly within their rights to block an electoral contest that they don't think they'd win (an election at a time when they were behind in the polls, a Scottish independence referendum, a second Brexit referendum).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Why would Unionist parties do that?
  • Options
    Had an interesting few hours wandering around Florence Court, home of the Earls of Enniskillen, including a former Grand Master of the Orange Order
  • Options

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Is that how sad you have become? You think that a badly chosen wardrobe discussion is because she is a Leaver?

TMay came in for a lot of stick about her wardrobe choices too - epsecially some of those awful jackets she liked and Leavers repeatedly call Mrs May a Remainer, so the event has already happened and you missed it.

If you were just slagging off her wardrobe choice that wouldn’t have been as bad
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Had an interesting few hours wandering around Florence Court, home of the Earls of Enniskillen, including a former Grand Master of the Orange Order

What are you doing away over there?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

If you were just slagging off her wardrobe choice that wouldn’t have been as bad
    We were slagging off her wardrobe choice. As a woman, you have to pick your wardrobe carefully to work with your complexion and figure. Ms Patel needs a different wardrobe.
  • Options
    Japan definitely qualified now
  • Options

HYUFD said:

On holiday
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Why would Unionist parties do that?
    you feckin halfwit , we live in a democracy supposedly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On holiday
    Enjoy! It is chucking it down in Antrim. I hope you are having nicer weather.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nothing works, everything aches and time will only go forwards. It's a casserole of shit.
    That is just a tad pessimistic
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On holiday
    Enjoy! It is chucking it down in Antrim. I hope you are having nicer weather.
    Thanks, was raining heavily earlier, now stopped
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083

My cold cure is a home made ear drop made of distilled water (ordinary water would probably be fine though) and hydrogen peroxide. It bubbles up in your ears for a minute or so and then you drain it out. H2O2 kills pathogens very aggressively, but it surprised me that putting it in your ears worked so well. At the very least you get your ears cleansed out.

In my youth, when pharmacists actually made some at least of what they dispensed, I used, every so often to make Hydrogen Peroxide Ear Drops. And a lot of other things.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I do sometimes identify with Maurice Chevalier in Gigi. ‘I’m glad I’m not young any more’.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 123

In my youth, when pharmacists actually made some at least of what they dispensed, I used, every so often to make Hydrogen Peroxide Ear Drops. And a lot of other things.
    Shouldn't have any effect on a cold though - unless you have perforated ear drums, in which case it doesn't sound like great plan. In any case, peroxide is also used in bleach, so if you're going to use it, make sure of the concentration!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On holiday
    You booked it so you’d be over there for the referendum you told us all would be happening this month? Oops.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372

We were slagging off her wardrobe choice. As a woman, you have to pick your wardrobe carefully to work with your complexion and figure. Ms Patel needs a different wardrobe.

Why should we care what she wears?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

Cyclefree said:

Kinder than the alternative.
  • Options
    ajb said:

Shouldn't have any effect on a cold though - unless you have perforated ear drums, in which case it doesn't sound like great plan. In any case, peroxide is also used in bleach, so if you're going to use it, make sure of the concentration!
    Agree
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Priti Patel on Marr. That smirk is not a good look

There's not many people whom I look at and think they are pure evil, but Patel is one of them. If someone told me there was an MP who went around in the dead of night quietly sliding knives into the necks of sleeping homeless people, she would be my first, second and third guesses.
    To be fair, she's my MP, and I had a problem over Dartford Crossing payments. She was very helpful.
    To be fair, I don't know much about her. I'm realise my gut instinct is probably wrong, but I do have that gut instinct. I honestly would move heaven and earth to avoid being alone with her.
    Face to face she can be quite pleasant, if only to look at. I've met her several times and I suspect that because I'm polite she thinks I'm a supporter. However, the last time we met she said something about 'Would you like Corbyn as Prime Minister?" and I said, slowly, something like 'Well.....'
    She looked horrified.
    Her face is nice enough. She is broad-beamed further down. Or, to be blunt, she has a big fat arse and her choice of clothes do her no favour by emphasising her size.
    :D:D"A woman's worst enemy is another woman"?

Men will forgave a pretty face nearly anything.
    Cyclefree said:

She may be doing it on purpose, of course.

What? Being a total cow? Or having a big arse?
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway, I have my first serious cold and sore throat of the season so you can put my uncharacteristic acidity down to that.

Get well soon :+1:

Bitchy, jealous or both?
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Posting about people's looks and/or weight is very poor form. Commenting about how people dress is tedious unless that person is dressing for effect.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    What was that people said about _Boris_ having a woman problem? :wink:
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

It's not the despair, it's the hope I can't stand...

Is that Brexit or rugby?
    You have hope - about Brexit????
    It is about I have left, and a thin, vain hope at that. The Brexiting Nationalists have damaged the UK beyond repair. No matter what the outcome we are diminished by this incompetent, dishonest shambles of a process.

Any half-competent project manager could have had the outline of a successful Brexit done in an afternoon.
    Exactly. And they'd also point out that with any project you always increase the risk you take and the money you spend if you reduce the time you allow.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Hello Carnyx, not a lot. just usual for here , a few intelligent people agreeing that tide has turned in Scotland whilst the usual ones that know nothing beyond the M25 think a Tory surge is coming. Brexit will indeed make a difference and once UK is out it will quicken up the split. Once the plebs see the real impact they will be queueing up for referendum.
    Thanks to you and TUD - it does all seem a bit premature indeed at present.
This discussion has been closed.