Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pressure mounts from Britain’s biggest car manufacturer

Comments

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    The guardian is certainly painting this as a breakthrough.

The two leaders have dangerously raised everyone’s hopes, if they don’t follow through.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    OK - here's my stab at a withdrawal agreement. We leave the EU but we remain in the single market and the customs union. We can leave those with two years' notice, or earlier by agreement.

Who wouldn't be happy with that, and why?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Chris said:

OK - here's my stab at a withdrawal agreement. We leave the EU but we remain in the single market and the customs union. We can leave those with two years' notice, or earlier by agreement.

Wasn't that the gist of May's deal with the transition period?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    Didn't I say.

Saturday sitting of Parliament AND a deal would be voted on at that point. :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

You aren't serious?
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Chris said:

Anyone who buys TMay's red lines about rule-taking, FOM etc etc (or the EU if it was being asked to divide the four freedoms - ie no single market in goods without FOM of labour etc)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Byronic said:

The two leaders have dangerously raised everyone’s hopes, if they don’t follow through.

What could possibly go wrong...
  • Options
    Chris said:

I’d be happy with that. I don’t care any more. We just need to prevent the country breaking up, or descending into sectarian strife. Just get it done. Honour democracy.

Those who want to remain can argue for rejoin and they’ll probably get another vote within 5 years. But let’s move on from this terrible place. Enough.
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

You aren't serious?
    I guess the difference is it gives remainers yet another shot if it isn't strictly time-limited.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,743
    For those following Trump impeachment odds..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/two-business-associates-of-trumps-personal-lawyer-giuliani-have-been-arrested-and-are-in-custody/2019/10/10/9f9c101a-eb63-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html
    Two business associates of President Trump’s personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani were arrested and are in custody Thursday, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Manhattan said.
    The two men, who helped Giuliani investigate former vice president Joe Biden, were arrested Wednesday night in Virginia and charged with campaign finance violations, according to a person familiar with the charges. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.
    Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman have been under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s office in Manhattan and are expected to appear in federal court in Virginia later on Thursday.
    According to the indictment, Parnas, Fruman and other defendants “conspired to circumvent the federal laws against foreign influence by engaging in a scheme to funnel foreign money to candidates for federal and state office so that the defendants could by potential influence with the candidates, campaigns, and the candidates’ governments.”...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Chris said:

I'd be happy. We get all the advantages of being in the EU, plus our economic policy is dictated to us by grownups in Brussels without being screwed up by halfwits in Westminster. Win-win.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Angela could say Nien.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    For the many....well as long as you come from the right family.

Other than being characteristically posh, the appointment didn’t seem particularly interesting; however, it has now come to light that Bond’s own son, Jack, has worked in Corbyn’s office – running his Twitter account for a number of years. Bond’s husband is also one of Corbyn’s drivers.

https://order-order.com/2019/10/10/corbyns-new-chief-staff-joins-family-business/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029
    Noo said:

Chris said:

WE DIDN'T WIN TWO WORLD WARS TO BE PUSHED AROUND BY A NIP

Christ. No. Just no.
    They were on our side in the First, anyway.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

You aren't serious?
    I guess the difference is it gives remainers yet another shot if it isn't strictly time-limited.
    No, it wouldn't give remainers anything, because we'd have left the EU.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    Chris said:

Anyone who wants to end freedom of movement wouldn't be happy with it. So it immediately gets labelled as "BINO" by Farage and the Tories lose votes to the Brexit party so the Tory party isn't happy with it either.
    Also it means the UK can unilaterally impose a hard border in Ireland with 2 years' notice so in the absence of a backstop arrangement the EU don't like it either.
    So this proposal has zero chance, sorry.
  • Options

Noo said:

Chris said:

Christ. No. Just no.
    I was wondering who would be the first to spot that.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited October 2019
    Setting Leave/Remain views aside, one can only hope that faced with events in Syria leading to a new refugee crisis and making it clear that Trump is a c#%t; along with an impending global recession, an emboldened Putin, and whatever fate awaits Hong Kong, common sense has broken out and we and the EU will find a way to accommodate each other and keep the western alliance intact.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Can't Philip Thompson get the Sunderland car workers a job like his? Pontificating for twelve hours a day on how essential the Irish backstop is to their sovereignty?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Angela could say Nien.
    The German position is almost entirely dictated by Ireland. Dublin has never been, and will never be, so powerful.

If Varadkar OK’s an agreement, Berlin and Brussels will sigh with relief, and it will be done. The French want us out anyway, they won’t be a problem.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

You aren't serious?

But while still a member of two of the central aspects of the EU. And as noted previously, that comes with freedom of movement and the jurisdiction of the european courts.
  • Options

Chris said:

Anyone who wants to end freedom of movement wouldn't be happy with it. So it immediately gets labelled as "BINO" by Farage and the Tories lose votes to the Brexit party so the Tory party isn't happy with it either.
    Also it means the UK can unilaterally impose a hard border in Ireland with 2 years' notice so in the absence of a backstop arrangement the EU don't like it either.
    Exactly as the UK could have done before the Brexit referendum.

Or exactly as the UK could do three weeks from today!
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Chris said:

So that would be the compromise position put forward by the Scottish Government in December 2016? What a vindication for Nicola Sturgeon if that ends up being the position. And what a criminal waste of time and energy from the Tories since then if that's where we end up, when we could have gone straight there.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Setting Leave/Remain views aside, one can only hope that faced with events in Syria leading to a new refugee crisis and making it clear that Trump is a c#%t; along with an impending global recession, an emboldened Putin, and whatever fate awaits Hong Kong, common sense has broken out and we and the EU will find a way to accommodate each other and keep the western alliance intact.

Perhaps Leavers might have thought about that before taking a sledgehammer to Britain's deepest international relationship.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Angela could say Nien.
    The German position is almost entirely dictated by Ireland. Dublin has never been, and will never be, so powerful.

You would hope so... but she does seem somewhat "erratic" these days.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Do you know, I’m old enough to remember when it was three million jobs that relied on not leaving the EU....... Or was that joining the Euro? I forget.

We now mostly seem to be debating 7000 in Sunderland, to which something might happen. Or it might not, depending on potential tax breaks and the need for import substitution.

And, hello.

So much ignorance in this message.

Nissan is not *just* 7,000 jobs. It supports so many more in the North East. There’s then 20,000 jobs in the supply chain and then many more services on top of that.

If it goes it will just be like closing the pits all over again. More lost generations in the North East.
    You’re quite young aren’t you? You (and the thread header) are conjuring up the straw man of a world in which it’s not economical to export cars from the U.K. to Europe, and/or impractical to import components. However in your straw man, our own tariffs apparently have no impact on domestic demand, and no U.K. industry can step in and replace components for exports that don’t go to the EU.

Basically, the world isn’t as a simple as you’d like it to be; and I’m afraid you’re unlikely to be able to see the end of manufacturing in the U.K. as seems to be your wish, all so you can blame the wicked Leavers.

A No Deal scenario will be unpleasant, but manageable, and regurgitating bits and pieces of half remembered press releases and scare stories won’t help anyone.
    I think all the above does is show how little you understand about complex multinational supply chains and the economics of manufacturing in the modern world.

Are you retired?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

You aren't serious?

But while still a member of two of the central aspects of the EU. And as noted previously, that comes with freedom of movement and the jurisdiction of the european courts.
    Yes - of course, I realise people who don't want us to be part of the single market or the customs union wouldn't be happy.

But then again, what evidence is there that Leave would have won, if that had been part of the question?
  • Options
    They looked into one anothers eyes and both stepped back from the brink! :D
  • Options

Anorak said:

A No Deal scenario will be unpleasant, but manageable...

And you wonder why some people have no desire to have anything to do with it?
    "Unpleasant but Manageable" should be the new Leave slogan, along with "Not as bad as the Second World War". Hearts and minds.
    People didn’t vote leave because they thought they’d be better off. Until you understand that, you won’t understand how the other side of the argument thinks. You might not care - but you should, if you want to persuade anyone.
    For some people it is not about persuading anybody. They just believe the other side are bad or stupid because they are not in agreement with them.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

It will be interesting to find out whether Cummings was present at any stage. Anything Johnson agrees will have to get past him.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029
    Chris said:

Noo said:

Chris said:

Christ. No. Just no.
    While I doubt it would have made a great difference eventually, our WWII position was made much worse, I understand, by the Americans insisting that the N Pacific was an American lake (or some such) and demanding that we agree with them on all matters relating to East Asia.
    And they thought Chiang Kai-shek was the bees knees.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Angela could say Nien.

She could; but she'd be more likely to say "Nein".
  • Options
    3 issues?

Customs, Consent and ... what's the third?
  • Options
    Tabman said:

GIN1138 said:

Angela could say Nien.

She could; but she'd be more likely to say "Nein".
    :D
  • Options
    I do hope in the interests of everyone a deal can be struck. The spartans and those wanting to revoke may be dismayed but the rest of us can move on
  • Options

3 issues?

Cash?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

Byronic said:

It will be interesting to find out whether Cummings was present at any stage. Anything Johnson agrees will have to get past him.

The issue is whether Johnson sticks to whatever he told Leo or has just told him what he wants to hear.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,864
    Noo said:

Chris said:

So that would be the compromise position put forward by the Scottish Government in December 2016? What a vindication for Nicola Sturgeon if that ends up being the position. And what a criminal waste of time and energy from the Tories since then if that's where we end up, when we could have gone straight there.
    Well spotted. Not least because the Scots - even Ms Davidson - got zero attention, let alone consideration.

But how long ago it seems now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

They looked into one anothers eyes and both stepped back from the brink! :D
    Boris is an ambitious man. If he delivers Brexit without breaking the country his reputation will be assured for all time. He will be considered a successful, maybe great prime minister. He will also stomp to victory in any election.

That’s quite a prize.

It would also give him eternal bragging rights over his posher Eton rival, David Cameron.
  • Options

People didn’t vote leave because they thought they’d be better off. Until you understand that, you won’t understand how the other side of the argument thinks. You might not care - but you should, if you want to persuade anyone.

So what was more important that it was worth knowingly making themselves worse off? Please enlighten us.
  • Options
    Off topic: one for the engineers on here.

Does a nuclear power plant require the use of petrol?
  • Options

3 issues?

Cash?
    The 3 C's.

Better giving cash to Ireland than Hungary.
  • Options

3 issues?

Cash?
    Irish nationality of those in NI, which is presently being disregarded by the UK Gmt if they are of dual nationality?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    148grss said:

malcolmg said:

148grss said:

nichomar said:

Anorak said:

A No Deal scenario will be unpleasant, but manageable...

And you wonder why some people have no desire to have anything to do with it?
    "Unpleasant but Manageable" should be the new Leave slogan, along with "Not as bad as the Second World War". Hearts and minds.
    So the sunlit uplands were only for the mega rich whilst the rest of them get to revel in kicking the establishment in the bollocks. I hope it will be worth it.
    You really don’t get the other point of view do you?

For many of us, not being tied to an organisation like the EU politically is a point of principle. I’d have been happy with EFTA, EEA at a push, but never a Customs Union.

For others it was immigration.

For others still it was “my like can’t be worse I want to pull the system down”.

None of them voted on economic grounds. The negotiations are making it clear it will have to be no deal.
    "None of them voted on economic grounds." - I KNOW this isn't true, because I have spoken to Leave voters who say they voted to make the country richer, to give that money to the NHS and to get better trade deals and better lives.

It only takes 2% of the electorate to have voted Leave for that reason alone to take away the majority of Leave.
    They must have been pretty thick to think it would make things better.
    I mean, the people on the TV said so, and made them feel better. It isn't about being thick, lots of smart people voted Leave. It's about feeling helpless and seeing something that could mean change and going for that change.
    Still, no-one with even a modicum of intelligence voted leave thinking they were going to be better off financially, if they did they were very thick indeed. No issue voting for leave for whatever reason but insane if it was to be better off financially.
  • Options

Chris said:

Noo said:

Chris said:

Christ. No. Just no.
    While I doubt it would have made a great difference eventually, our WWII position was made much worse, I understand, by the Americans insisting that the N Pacific was an American lake (or some such) and demanding that we agree with them on all matters relating to East Asia.
    And they thought Chiang Kai-shek was the bees knees.
    I blame the Kurds for all that.
  • Options

Byronic said:

It’s oft ignored that Cummings is a soft Brexiteer. He also despises Farage.
  • Options

3 issues?

A more serious answer: From the joint statement:

Their discussion concentrated on the challenges of customs and consent.

They also discussed the potential to strengthen bilateral relations, including on Northern Ireland.

I'm not quite sure what they mean by strengthening bilateral relations, but has it perhaps got something to do with the Stormont deadlock?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

You aren't serious?
    If he is he needs to see a doctor
  • Options

To get the staff into the place. And (more likely diesel?) for the emergency generators, flooding pumps, one would think.
  • Options

It requires lubricants.
  • Options

I think the worry about the reliability of the petrol generators at Chernobyl the cause of the accident there.
  • Options

3 issues?

A more serious answer: From the joint statement:

Their discussion concentrated on the challenges of customs and consent.

They also discussed the potential to strengthen bilateral relations, including on Northern Ireland.

I'm not quite sure what they mean by strengthening bilateral relations, but has it perhaps got something to do with the Stormont deadlock?
    Yes that’s my reading. Perhaps they foresee the British Irish council, or something similar, having a double veto on any future changes. I.e. finesse the problem away with constructive ambiguity. As per the first GFA
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited October 2019
    The media clearly want the negotiations to crash and burn .

You could almost see the huge disappointment as they begrudgingly reported the progress .

I think the issue going forward is going to be the DUP . The Consent mechanism which basically game them a veto isn’t going to happen .

More likely the default will be continued alignment not Stormont having to vote to continue it.

• Options
    Go Boris! Go Leo! They may go down as the first great Anglo-Irish statesmen of the 21st century if they pull this off.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Tabman said:

It requires lubricants.
    Back-ups to the back-up jennies are run on diesel. But they're only used if you're deep, DEEP in the mire already.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Angela could say Nien.

If Varadkar OK’s an agreement, Berlin and Brussels will sigh with relief, and it will be done. The French want us out anyway, they won’t be a problem.
    Fair play, that makes a refreshing change from the usual 'in the end the EU is going to shat all over Ireland & Leo' Brexiteer fare. Good to know that occasionally small countries can be made more powerful by being part of a union.
  • Options

Go Boris! Go Leo! They may go down as the first great Anglo-Irish statesmen of the 21st century if they pull this off.

A rare moment of Pb concord!

Go Boris. Go Leo.
  • Options
    Breaking news

Chris Williamson loses high court bid to be re-instated to the labour party following anti semitism allegations
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Angela could say Nien.

Fair play, that makes a refreshing change from the usual 'in the end the EU is going to shat all over Ireland & Leo' Brexiteer fare. Good to know that occasionally small countries can be made more powerful by being part of a union.
    "Good to know that occasionally small countries can be made more powerful by being part of a union."

Did you really mean to post that sentence? :wink:
  • Options
    Frankly I don’t care if Johnson gloats if he gets a deal .

I said before I can’t stand him however if he gets a deal then fine, I’ll give him credit for that .

• Options

Breaking news

Chris Williamson loses high court bid to be re-instated to the labour party following anti semitism allegations

The good news keeps coming!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

You could almost see the huge disappointment as they begrudgingly reported the progress .

I think the issue going forward is going to be the DUP . The Consent mechanism which basically game them a veto isn’t going to happen .

More likely the default will be continued alignment not Stormont having to vote to continue it.

Given the govt is already 45 short of a majority, the DUP can do one on this issue. I suspect a great many erstwhile (and future) DUP voters would say the same thing.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Angela could say Nien.

"Good to know that occasionally small countries can be made more powerful by being part of a union."

Did you really not get my fairly explicit point?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I said before I can’t stand him however if he gets a deal then fine, I’ll give him credit for that .

Also, if boris passes a deal, Corbyn will lose the next election badly, and will retire under a cloud, and Labour can then get a sane, decent leader, and you can expect to triumph in 2024.

A deal is win win win win win, for all of us.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

blueblue said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Angela could say Nien.

Did you really not get my fairly explicit point?
    I think it's because s/he can't see 'country' in a British context as meaning other than the UK.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

My concern is that Johnson has not read briefs and has agreed stuff with Varadkar that he has not properly understood and not yet run past Cummings.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

Also, if boris passes a deal, Corbyn will lose the next election badly, and will retire under a cloud, and Labour can then get a sane, decent leader, and you can expect to triumph in 2024.

If you think the far left would loosen their claws on the party just because Steptoe stood down, I have a bridge to sell you.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

My concern is that Johnson has not read briefs and has agreed stuff with Varadkar that he has not properly understood and not yet run past Cummings.

The chap on the Graun feed said perhaps the same thing a moment ago -

"Given that Leo Varadkar spent a lot of time talking to Boris Johnson one-to-one, some of us are wondering if his experience of a Johnson negotiation will end up similar to Damian Green’s."
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

To get the staff into the place. And (more likely diesel?) for the emergency generators, flooding pumps, one would think.
    Yep, Chernobyl had diesel back up generators, much good that it did them.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

I think you are forgetting the Lib Dems ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,953

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It's not really a concern if Varadkar has managed to somehow hoodwink Johnson into presenting May's deal back to the Commons again, more party time at Vardy's house.
  • Options
    Yep, sounds lke Johnson did not read his briefs ...

https://twitter.com/PatLeahyIT/status/1182317110707593218
  • Options
    Byronic said:
    Nobody tell Cummings what's going on.

Turn off WiFi in Downing Street now.
  • Options
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

If Johnson gets a deal , even you will have to give him some credit.
    As would I , as I thought no deal , was the plan.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Pulpstar, will that happen, or will the fool in Number Ten go for an NI-only customs union arrangement, introducing a customs barrier within UK territory?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    Small countries having a statutory place, opinion and power in the larger union
    blueblue said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Angela could say Nien.

Small countries that have respect, a statutory position, opinion and meaningful power in the larger union....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It's not really a concern if Varadkar has managed to somehow hoodwink Johnson into presenting May's deal back to the Commons again, more party time at Vardy's house.

Unfortnately, Johnson would have to row back, this is the problem,. There is no deal he can agree with the EU that will not slit te Tories and turbocharge the BXP. Cummings knows this. He will not allow it.

• Options
    Anorak said:

nico67 said:

Given the govt is already 45 short of a majority, the DUP can do one on this issue. I suspect a great many erstwhile (and future) DUP voters would say the same thing.
    Both sides need to turn in their ultras, and muzzle them. Once and for all. Leavers need to put Farage and Francois and the ERG in a metaphorical sack, to be thrown in the Severn.

But the Remainers need to do the same, to Blair and Swinson and fucking Jolyon fucking Maugham. They need to be put in a box, and the box should be left by the M40
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Glad nobody is extrapolating from a tweet.

Labour and LD fury if Boris does get near a deal will be of the charts Btw.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, will that happen, or will the fool in Number Ten go for an NI-only customs union arrangement, introducing a customs barrier within UK territory?

There's existing checks in the Irish sea on agri stuff anyway so it'd just mean a few more of those.
    If the deal is despised by both Farage and AC Grayling, our work is done.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Oh great, so the pendulum has swung back from "an outcome which the ERG/DUP can agree to but Ireland can't" to "an outcome which Ireland can agree to but the ERG/DUP can't".

Maybe this is why they call Johnson "Britain Trump" - because he has the mental capacity of a goldfish and just ends up agreeing with whoever he's talking to at the time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106
    TGOHF2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

To say nothing of the fury of the Brexiteers.

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1182318598926327810?s=21
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

If Johnson gets a deal , even you will have to give him some credit.
    As would I , as I thought no deal , was the plan.

I would be deighted if he gets a deal, genuinely. But I just do nt see how it happens. It would split the Tories and be a gift to the BXP. I just cannot see Johnson doing that. If he does, he will show himself to be putting country first and people like me will have been proved utterly wrong about him.

• Options
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

A deal is of course terrible news for Labour . However I’m looking at the longer term picture .

A no deal rupture will fracture EU relations for years , the country will never get close to any kind of more unified position.

I’m as pro EU as they come however there’s simply no way back now , too much has happened and the EU don’t want to be a political football in every UK general election .

Opposition parties need to start thinking about what they’ll do if Brexit happens with a deal .

I want a strong close EU relationship with preferential treatment for EU nationals and UK nationals . Also I want to see continued close links with research , Erasmus etc.

A party that promises that will get my vote , I’m not interested in rejoin . Way into the future that might happen but I think it’s a vote loser now , even many Remainers are going to think really !
  • Options
  • Options
    I think if Johnson comes away with a deal, any deal he's basically won :

Either the Commons accepts the deal in which case we're sorted. Or it rejects it and gives Johnson every excuse needed to head to leaving without a deal on the 31st.
  • Options
    Yes. This will be the end of Trump. Not Ukraine or Giuliani or pee-gate or Epstein. It will be his grotesque betrayal of the Kurds which makes Americans look cowardly, unmanly and villainous. It will enrage his core vote, eg Fox News
  • Options

TGOHF2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Yes everyone losing their minds over a meeting with a tweet - god help us all.
  • Options

So long as it has a consent mechanism I see no problem with that. Consent must be there though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's hard to see any deal acceptable to Ireland and to the EU as a whole being acceptable to the ERG, and also any deal negotiated by Boris as being acceptable to Labour. Therefore, it is very hard to see any deal passing in this parliament. That being the case, Boris is going have to break his do-or-die pledge, or at least acquiesce to allowing the Benn Act to break it for him, and then call an election where he stands on a manifesto of ratifying the new, shiny Boris deal. If he can achieve that, and get a majority to implement it, he'll have gently untied the Gordian Knot.

But can he get that past the Conservative Party in its current state? And would he get his majority if he's broken his do-or-die pledge and agreed to a deal which Farage and the heavies will merrily be throwing rocks at?
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Or maybe Dyson just aren't a big boy in this field?
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Bloody Leavers, always letting people down with their promises.
  • Options
    The Irish journalists I've learned to take seriously all say there has been real movement and seem surprised how well it's gone. *But* that's because they say the UK side has moved substantially on customs, consent and future relationship.
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

TGOHF2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Yes everyone losing their minds over a meeting with a tweet - god help us all.
    Who cares what Lilico thinks. It's whether enough MPs buy any deal.
This discussion has been closed.