Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sykes donation puts up the stakes for Farage at EURO201

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sykes donation puts up the stakes for Farage at EURO2014 – any less than 1st place will be a failure

For a party that doesn’t have a single MP it’s quite remarkable that UKIP goes into next May’s EU elections as the evens betting favourite to come out top on votes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    It also makes them less of a protest party and might force votes back to Tories / Labour.
  • Options
    Falkip.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2013
    “In the coming months UKIP MEPs and Farage in particular are going to come under fierce attack from” - er the Lib Dems.

“Calls to quit EU are unpatriotic, says Clegg: He blasts sceptics as UKIP lures multi-millionaire backer”

The article comments are a hoot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509405/Calls-quit-EU-unpatriotic-says-Clegg-He-blasts-sceptics-UKIP-lures-multi-millionaire-backer.html
  • Options
    *** Betting Post ***

Ladbrokes

Battersea - Conservatives 5/6

Unless you're expecting a Labour majority approaching 100 then that's free money.
  • Options
    Wishful thinking I'm afraid Mike, if the Roma/Bulgaria immigration thing takes a lot of headlines early in the year then they may finish first, though I wouldn't back them at those odds.

Whether Ukip win or not they will still take lots of votes from both major parties at the GE.

Hopefully your lot will voters back from Labour, the ones showing up in the polls right now, and with Ukip taking a lot of the WWC vote it is not as cut and dried as the smug lefties on here lead us to believe.

I think Ukip will take two seats at the GE, which is a big start in readiness for 2020.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. StClare: Clegg is a pathetic little shit. I can see why some might claim membership of the EU is good for Britain. They're wrong, of course, but part of a free society is the right to be wrong and hold silly views.

But to call those who don't want to funnel billions a year to a cabal of meddlesome bureaucratic foreigners unpatriotic is not merely deranged, it's the antithesis of reason.

Clegg's a true patriot, but he thinks his country is the EU.
  • Options
    Well said Mr Wifflestick
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Good morning, everyone. [snip]

Clegg's a true patriot, but he thinks his country is the EU.

Colourful language for so early in the day Mr Dancer,? ; 0

A definition of Patriotism: - ‘a proud supporter or defender of his or her country and its way of life.’

Who is being un-patriotic here - one could argue there is nothing patriotic in selling out your country to the EU which cares little or nothing of our values, or our way of life.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, Clegg's cretinous pronouncements about the EU irk me to a very significant degree. Democracy and politics is not helped by characterising a legitimate perspective (I'd argue the most sensible perspective) as unpatriotic.
  • Options
    tim said:

*** Betting Post ***

Ladbrokes

Unless you're expecting a Labour majority approaching 100 then that's free money.

The Lib Dems will totally collapse in that seat, and I wouldn't regard a 6.1% swing as completely unachievable, a decent price on the Tory (I'd make it 4/7) but not free money.

A LibDem 'total collapse' is less than the Conservative majority and Battersea is the sort of seat where the Conservatives will pick up a large amount of former LibDems.

The Conservatives will also benefit from demographic change and incumbancy (a double incumbancy effect in this case).

Battersea is also likely to benefit from an improving economy more than most other places.

If Labour had a national landslide then could gain Battersea but the chances of that are very low.

When London Labour posters at UKPR have effectively given up hope regarding Battersea its wise to take note.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2013
    I wish election results could be judged on their own merits instead of against expectations generated by opponents of a particular party.

In 2010 hardly any Labour politicians apart from David Blunkett and John Reid admitted the result was bad for the party because all they wanted to talk about was the fact that Cameron had been 20 points ahead a couple of years earlier and so in comparison to that the election result was very disappointing for the Tories and okay for Labour.

Some people even claimed the 1983 result was disappointing for Mrs Thatcher because the polls just before the election had put the Tories on 47% and they only got 42% in the end.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Mr Sykes bankrolled UKIP before and the Tories still won even though Blair was riding high at the time. UKIP 2014 has all the making of LibDems 2010 part 2.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,065
    I'm on the fence about the EU: how I would vote on a referendum would very much depend on the question put. I'm fairly against the EU getting more traction into this country's legislation, but am also against withdrawing totally, unless forced into such a course of action. Ideally we would take a few powers back from the EU (although if you were to ask me which ones, I would be mimbling for an answer).

Yet I cannot see myself voting for UKIP, unless they had a very good local candidate. The reason? Most - if not all - of their vocal supporters seem to want complete disengagement with the EU, as if they could cast the UK adrift somewhere into the mid-Atlantic. I really don't want that, and the moderate UKIP voices are silent.

Add in the fact that some UKIP voices tend to be anti-foreigner and not just anti-immigration, and it becomes even harder for me to vote for them, for the obvious reasons.

But on the positive side, at least they've got rid of Bloom ...
  • Options
    Paul Sykes's company Planet Online was the UK's largest internet service provider in the late 1990s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Sykes_(businessman)
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, the problem with that view (as held by Mr. Stopper, and one I'd like to hold but can't) is that the EU has no reverse gear. It's all about greater removal of power from countries and the congregation of them in Brussels. The choice, sadly, is not (I believe) between the EU as it is and a reformed, light-touch EU, but the EU as it will become (even more integration) and the painful but necessary process of taking back our own powers, which should never have been surrendered in the first place.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I think Ukip may struggle with the headlines in the run-up to the Euro elections. Newspapers tend to like the in-fighting, and the BBC, although strictly impartial of course, will take a very patronising attitude.

I remember the mid-seventies referendum campaign. I was then very pro-Europe, but I was astonished by the partiality shown by all the media. Those against hardly got a look-in, and if they did, it would be the Tony Benn fringe element.

The main three parties next year, for different reasons, will be very anti-Ukip, so they'll find it difficult. I'm not sure that possible Daily Mail support will help a lot.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I'm on the fence about the EU: how I would vote on a referendum would very much depend on the question put. I'm fairly against the EU getting more traction into this country's legislation, but am also against withdrawing totally, unless forced into such a course of action. Ideally we would take a few powers back from the EU (although if you were to ask me which ones, I would be mimbling for an answer).

Yet I cannot see myself voting for UKIP, unless they had a very good local candidate. The reason? Most - if not all - of their vocal supporters seem to want complete disengagement with the EU, as if they could cast the UK adrift somewhere into the mid-Atlantic. I really don't want that, and the moderate UKIP voices are silent.

Add in the fact that some UKIP voices tend to be anti-foreigner and not just anti-immigration, and it becomes even harder for me to vote for them, for the obvious reasons.

The problem with that argument is that some of the world's most desirable countries/economies are not part of any political entity like the EU, such as Canada, Australia, Norway, Switzerland, Singapore, etc.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    Skimming last night's thread I see Carlotta posting a long quote showing that Labour is being criticised by Gentlemen's Quarterly. In other news, the Morning Star is beginning to sound critical about Cameron. Worrying times all round.

Morris, what Clegg is doing is trying to corner the pro-EU vote. There's enough of it to give the LibDems a good result if they're seen as the only place for Europhiles to go. In a PR system you don't need to bother with trying to get majorities - the trick is to get your slice of the electorate to vote. It's not easy, which is why UKIP should do well next year. They've weathered a long spell with little publicity, most of it bad, with no effect on their polls. I'm not sure that it will matter greatly to them whether they're first or second, but if they beat either Labour or Tories it'll look like a win.
  • Options
    F1: the early discussion thread for Brazil is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/brazil-early-discussion.html

Whether it rains or not is a crucial question. Sadly, at this stage, it looks like being dry, but there's time for the forecast to change.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I think the Greens have a decent chance of outpolling the LDs in the Euro elections. They could both get around 8%. Last time the figures were LD 13.8% and Greens 8.1%.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, assuming you're right about Clegg's motives, that still doesn't excuse the comments. It's precisely that sort of politically correct approach to views and vocabulary (*gasp!* you can't say that!) which makes people feel shy of expressing their views for fear of being accused of being a bigot. The abandonment of so much ground by the political mainstream is directly what's led to the rise of UKIP.

It's very unhealthy for the deputy prime minister to accuse those of having the temerity to disagree with his flagrant EU-philia of being unpatriotic. It may work in the short term, in the same way a smear campaign can work in the short term, but in the longer term it does political discourse in this country no good whatsoever.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,065

Mr. Jessop, the problem with that view (as held by Mr. Stopper, and one I'd like to hold but can't) is that the EU has no reverse gear. It's all about greater removal of power from countries and the congregation of them in Brussels. The choice, sadly, is not (I believe) between the EU as it is and a reformed, light-touch EU, but the EU as it will become (even more integration) and the painful but necessary process of taking back our own powers, which should never have been surrendered in the first place.

I pretty much agree with that, which is why I said 'unless forced'.

Just because the EU does not have a reverse gear at the moment (and that is an ominous sign in itself), does not mean that it cannot design and implement one. If they cannot do that, then we should consider saying bye-bye, at least to the bits it makes sense to quit.

Having a reverse gear would hurt them culturally, but you know what? The EU bureaucrats deserve a little cultural pain after what's happened over the last few years. It's clear the EU as it stands is not fully fit for purpose, politically and especially economically. People who put their fingers in their ears and ignore that fact are actually damaging the institution they love.

Having said all that, OGH is right when he has mentioned in the past in the fact that the EU does not rate too highly in polling of people's concerns on a wider basis. UKIP will undoubtedly have a good Euro elections, but transferring that to GE votes would be a much more difficult task. They may manage it, but I doubt it.
  • Options

Skimming last night's thread I see Carlotta posting a long quote showing that Labour is being criticised by Gentlemen's Quarterly. In other news, the Morning Star is beginning to sound critical about Cameron. Worrying times all round.

The more perceptive reader might have pondered the content - rather than just the source - and reflected on its accuracy, rather than just smear. But there you go.....Massie was making an interesting point, which evidently has passed you by.....

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    My guess is that rather than being "dismayed" the tory fundraisers would have been rubbing their hands at all the publicity Mr Sykes got yesterday. I suspect it will be used to harvest an exceptional crop of donations.

UKIP should be worried about the ever falling approval ratings for Mr Farage. He is still ahead of the conventional politicians but he is increasingly being seen as one of them rather than something different. A governor of the BoE type optimist would see this as evidence of UKIP arriving as a genuine party but they are still dangerously dependent on Mr Farage's perceived charm and the bloom (pun definitely intended) is fading somewhat.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    AndyJS said:

The problem with that argument is that some of the world's most desirable countries/economies are not part of any political entity like the EU, such as Canada, Australia, Norway, Switzerland, Singapore, etc.
    Isn't it the case that as members of EEA both Norway and Switzerland have to comply with EU law but have no say in its creation? Certainly applies to Norway as the Norwegian Foreign Minister recently said when commenting on why the UK would be mad to leave the EU.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MD Well put.
  • Options
    From the previous thread - a great example of how a little bit of knowledge can cut right through BS political arguments. If someone needs home haemodialysis, can cope with this machine, and doesn't need any extra bits and pieces, then IMO there's no way an extra bedroom can be justified as genuinely needed.

Home haemodialysis machines are compact, unobtrusive and quiet. The original ones in the sixties would require a room. Modern ones fit comfortably on a sidetable. See the picture in this link:
    http://www.healthworldnet.com/articles/heads-or-tails/dialysis,-there’s-no-place-like-home/

Home haemodialysis typically takes 4-7 hours depending on the regime. patients often hook up while watching TV in an evening (or perhaps surfing PB?). in many ways the living room is the ideal spot.

It no longer requires a seperate room; technology has moved on.

• Options
    Meanwhile 'Selfie' beats 'Bedroom Tax' as 'word of the year:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/19/selfie-word-of-the-year-oed-olinguito-twerk
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, my understanding (admittedly I spend more time considering F1 tyre compounds than the Norwegian foreign minister) is that a small amount of EU laws apply to Norwya et al., but only in the sense that regulatory rules must be adhered to in order to sell given products in the EU market.

It's also worth recalling that leaving the EU would save us billions every year.
  • Options

tim said:

*** Betting Post ***

Ladbrokes

The Lib Dems will totally collapse in that seat, and I wouldn't regard a 6.1% swing as completely unachievable, a decent price on the Tory (I'd make it 4/7) but not free money.

A LibDem 'total collapse' is less than the Conservative majority and Battersea is the sort of seat where the Conservatives will pick up a large amount of former LibDems.

The Conservatives will also benefit from demographic change and incumbancy (a double incumbancy effect in this case).

Battersea is also likely to benefit from an improving economy more than most other places.

If Labour had a national landslide then could gain Battersea but the chances of that are very low.

When London Labour posters at UKPR have effectively given up hope regarding Battersea its wise to take note.
    And finally Battersea is not a place where UKIP are going to pick up much support from former Conservatives.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    City am enjoying the demise of the Co op Bank.

http://www.cityam.com/article/1384827995/there-nothing-worse-self-righteousness-business

Arrogance, poor controls, incompetence, politicisation, hubris and especially self-righteousness and moral superiority – guess what? They never work."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    You only have to look at how excited everyone on here gets when there is a hint of bad news for UKIP (Soubry-gasm, "Has Farage Lost It?" after a QT they didn't like backed up by no decrease in UKIP polling) to predict how the parties will act. The smearing began a long time ago, the old big three have had a monopoly on votes, they all want to stay in the EU, none want grammar schools, they all want unrestricted immigration, why wouldn't they... scaremonger about the stranger?!

We have had Cameron
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/david-cameron-ukip-fruitcakes-and-loonies-63456

The foolish Lord Heseltine
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10351499/Ukip-is-a-racist-party-says-Heseltine.html

Labour & their QT Stooges
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2292995/Question-Time-How-Labour-Party-planted-diehard-supporter-audience-attack-UKIP-panellist.html

• Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    tim said:

Mike.

Can we have a thread on this

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 3m
    Great question posed by @benedictbrogan. Today's big question not why Labour high in polls, but "why the Conservatives are doing so badly?"

The PB Tories have been ignoring it for years now.

And "The BBC" doesn't count as an answer.

Would be a short thread.

The tories are focused on attaining the maximum vote share in May 2015, as opposed to November 2013.

End thread

• Options
    Mr. Isam, the greater problem UKIP faces is not the mainstream having a go, it's the lack of big figures aside from Farage and the strategic ineptitude which means the vote is spread wide and shallow. UKIP should be in the position now where it can realistically aim at 1-3 seats in the next election. It's got the profile, the funding, had decades to get on with preparing the ground and the public have never been more disaffected with mainstream politics, yet it would not be a surprise if, again, the party gets 0 seats at the next election.

Indeed, it may end up helping a pro-EU party return to government.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    Not hard to guess what happens to this as we approach next May.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

The real question is the kind posturing/concessions Cammie makes after next May's EU elections to appease his gullible eurosceptic backbenchers for the umpteenth time. They will of course get overexcited about what seems to be on the table before belatedly realising they've been sold a pup yet again. They want some red lines on repatriating powers so he'll give them yet more Cast Iron Guarantees that won't stand up to much scrutiny for very long.

As for the kippers it's all about how hard and how fast they fall after next May's EU elections. Even after this May and their laughable conference (as well as the political narrative being very obviously focused elsewhere) they have dropped to nowhere near the 3% they received in 2010. Or even the 5% Cammie says they need to drop to for him to have any chance.
  • Options
    Schards said:

tim said:

Mike.

Great question posed by @benedictbrogan. Today's big question not why Labour high in polls, but "why the Conservatives are doing so badly?"

Would be a short thread.

The tories are focused on attaining the maximum vote share in May 2015, as opposed to November 2013.

End thread

Steady - there will be smoke coming out of a few low wattage power packs as they try and get their heads round that thinking. "You mean the Tuesday yougov isn't the ultimate goal ?!?!?..."

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

Mr. Palmer, assuming you're right about Clegg's motives, that still doesn't excuse the comments. It's precisely that sort of politically correct approach to views and vocabulary (*gasp!* you can't say that!) which makes people feel shy of expressing their views for fear of being accused of being a bigot. The abandonment of so much ground by the political mainstream is directly what's led to the rise of UKIP.

It's very unhealthy for the deputy prime minister to accuse those of having the temerity to disagree with his flagrant EU-philia of being unpatriotic. It may work in the short term, in the same way a smear campaign can work in the short term, but in the longer term it does political discourse in this country no good whatsoever.

Morris, You just have to accept that Clegg would push his granny in front of a bus if he thought it would benefit him, the man is an unprincipled halfwit.
  • Options
    tim said:

Meanwhile 'Selfie' beats 'Bedroom Tax' as 'word of the year:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/19/selfie-word-of-the-year-oed-olinguito-twerk

Where did "Spare Room Subsidy" come?

Last year it was 'Omnishambles'......

• Options
    One for the PB legal eagles.

FPT - 14. Denis MacShane facing jail after admitting false expenses claims of £13,000.

I’d have thought having pleaded guilty, a non-custodial sentence the more likely? – or does waiting 4 years to come clean, negate the 11th hour confession?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/denis-macshane-facing-jail-after-admitting-false-expenses-claims-of-13000-8947125.html
  • Options
    New thread already?
  • Options
    How's them donations coming along for next year ?

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1m

The chairman of the Co-operative Group Len Wardle has resigned with immediate effect
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    edited November 2013

From the previous thread - a great example of how a little bit of knowledge can cut right through BS political arguments. If someone needs home haemodialysis, can cope with this machine, and doesn't need any extra bits and pieces, then IMO there's no way an extra bedroom can be justified as genuinely needed.

Home haemodialysis machines are compact, unobtrusive and quiet. The original ones in the sixties would require a room. Modern ones fit comfortably on a sidetable. See the picture in this link:
    http://www.healthworldnet.com/articles/heads-or-tails/dialysis,-there’s-no-place-like-home/

Home haemodialysis typically takes 4-7 hours depending on the regime. patients often hook up while watching TV in an evening (or perhaps surfing PB?). in many ways the living room is the ideal spot.

It no longer requires a seperate room; technology has moved on.

Bollocks, so just because the Tories want to soak the poor and the ill , it is OK to force someone who is ill to pay to be able to have their dialysis in peace and quiet. They may not want their children to have to jump over the wires , pipes etc.
    Only venal Tories who would never have to worry about it could be as heartless as this. What evil creatures, all to fund their tax cuts and heat their stables of course.

Next you will be advising that they should eat cake whilst attached to the machines
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Mr. Isam, the greater problem UKIP faces is not the mainstream having a go, it's the lack of big figures aside from Farage and the strategic ineptitude which means the vote is spread wide and shallow. UKIP should be in the position now where it can realistically aim at 1-3 seats in the next election. It's got the profile, the funding, had decades to get on with preparing the ground and the public have never been more disaffected with mainstream politics, yet it would not be a surprise if, again, the party gets 0 seats at the next election.

Indeed, it may end up helping a pro-EU party return to government.

On here we focus on every detail of politics and one might say it is like waiting for a kettle to boil in terms of things happening quickly.

To the marginally less anoraky public, UKIP has kicked out Bloom, while Diane James and Paul Nuttall are increasingly on air.

Anyone calling it a failure if UKIP get around 10% of the votes but no MPs in 2015 needs their head examined.

** and as I write, another thread has appeared that seems to be written by a worried Conservative
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Job title of the week: Chief Futurist and/or Chief Envisioning Officer for Microsoft UK. The man in that job is Dave Coplin and he told the Today programme that in the future offices will have more open space and no meeting rooms. He also quoted a recent survey that showed 77% of workers think that if they have cleared their emails, then they have had a productive day.

BBC Business News Ticker

Must say that responding to emails takes up about 10-15% of my time.
  • Options

FPT - 14. Denis MacShane facing jail after admitting false expenses claims of £13,000.

I’d have thought having pleaded guilty, a non-custodial sentence the more likely? – or does waiting 4 years to come clean, negate the 11th hour confession?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/denis-macshane-facing-jail-after-admitting-false-expenses-claims-of-13000-8947125.html

Eric Illsley received 12 months for a similar amount.

I can see MacShane, getting a similar sentence.

That said, given his age and a low chance of reoffending, judges don't like sending pensioners to prison for non sexual, non violent crimes.

• Options
    Greig Forbes ‏@greigforbes 32m

MPs' expenses: How Alistair Darling nominated four properties as second home in four years via @Telegraph http://fw.to/GX0dj0T #trust

Amy. ‏@thisisamy_ 11h

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/welfare-scandal-subject-to-the-bedroom-tax--even-if-the-room-is-used-for-a-kidney-dialysis-machine-8947883.html … meanwhile MPs who voted Yes to #bedroomtax claim up to £25,000 each in accommodation expenses. #WOWpetition

Hari RippedOffBriton ‏@RippedOffBriton 11h

MPs' Expenses Watchdogs were thrown out and replaced by MPs denied extra spending money. Read how they were ejected: http://bit.ly/HYPu7A
  • Options
    Success = performance minus anticipation.

The anticipation is that they shall and should outpoll the Tories.

Anything less would be bad.

I mean they outpolled Labour in 2009
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    "Let’s not forget that all the polling there’s been on next year’s election has had UKIP some way behind LAB. A month ago, for the Mail on Sunday, Survation had LAB on 35% with UKIP on 22% only one point ahead of the Tories. The LDs were in 4th on 11%."

People arent thinking about the Euros yet. UKIP will start ramping up next year when it gets covered more.

"In the coming months UKIP MEPs and Farage in particular are going to come under fierce attack from the Tories who don’t want them to get any traction whatsoever from the May 2014 outcome. Their attendance records, their expenses and the fact that so many of those elected at EURO2009 are no longer with the party are going to be highlighted."

People dont care about the European Parliament so I doubt they worry much if MEPs dont attend much. Perhaps it's a bonus for them.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    tim said:

Mike.

I think poor Brogan was stuck for something to write this week
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I've been watching ten seasons of Smallville again - have I missed anything of import?
  • Options
    Millsy said:

tim said:

Mike.

I think poor Brogan was stuck for something to write this week
    Oh I dunno.....

Events are closing in on Ed Balls
    The Co-op has launched an internal audit into the behaviour of the Rev Paul Flowers following revelations that he bought drugs and – according to the Sun this morning – used rent boys while on bank business. Will Labour follow suit? Ed Miliband has played down his and the party's links with the Methodist minister. The Labour leader met Rev Flowers in his Commons office last year, and appointed him to his Business and Industry Advisory Group in 2010. More awkward is the revelation that the Reverend arranged a £50,000 donation to Ed Balls' office last year. Mr Flowers was suspended from his membership of the Labour party yesterday while the police investigate his activities.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedictbrogan/100246554/events-are-closing-in-on-ed-balls/
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    It's the trend that counts Mike. I think that UKIP will get a majority of votes in England, do well in Wales and miss the boat in Scotland due to their worries about the referendum.

UKIP has now more than 32,000 members and still growing; the only party that is not shedding members.
  • Options
    Morris Dancer, UKIPpers and Tory BOOers have often accused those who support membership of the EU of being unpatriotic. I don't recall you vehemently defending their victims in the past.

It is of course possible to be patriotic in more than one way. But all too few seem to remember that.
  • Options
    tim said:

Who the hell wrote that garbage that appeared then?

Hope they are prepared to back themselves with cash, doubt it somehow

Curious that it was unsigned....in any case, I don't think you can measure UKIP 'success' in votes cast or seats won - it will be 'how much damage do they do to the Tories and do the turnip taliban then press the self destruct button?' - in which case I'd say their chances of 'success' were pretty good.....
  • Options
    Miss Plato, e-mails suggest Balls wants to send Miliband to the Phantom Zone, but other than that, not really.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    To save me looking it up - anyone know what the Deposit amount is for the Euros and what the rules are for retaining it?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

City am enjoying the demise of the Co op Bank.

http://www.cityam.com/article/1384827995/there-nothing-worse-self-righteousness-business

Arrogance, poor controls, incompetence, politicisation, hubris and especially self-righteousness and moral superiority – guess what? They never work."

Random thoughts having watched Flowers testimony (first 30 mins or so) and read other articles:

1. The FSA appeared concerned at Flowers negligible banking experience and so required 2 deputies with banking experience to also be appointed.

2. Flowers felt he was up to the job because the FSA and the Co-Op committees thought he was. That seems to be his justification.

3. In the plans to buy a chunk of Lloyds branches which collapsed, the 2 deputies with banking expertise voted against the plan, all the other directors reportedly voted to pursue it. Begs the question who else on the board is equally unqualified for the job?

4. When challenged about the size of the loan book, asset value of the bank Flowers either was totally wrong or had no idea at all. We've heard the £3bn vs £47bn asset, but he had NO idea or number at all for the loan book size.

5. The main achievement he seemed to claim whilst being Chairman was altering the board to have some females on it, previously all men...... this tells you so much doesn't it about an organisation that he left when it made losses in the summer of £700m +

6. My clients are getting in touch as they are nervous about their money with Britannia and the Co-op 'brand' is being massively damaged - now being bundled up along with RBS, Northern Rock et al and crucially its USP is in peril as it comes accross as a band of amateurs.

7. If the Co-op had been nationalised, what would have happened to the Labour connections and all the funding???
  • Options
    tim said:

Who the hell wrote that garbage that appeared then?

Hope they are prepared to back themselves with cash, doubt it somehow

The Phantom thread?

TSE has to be huge odds on
  • Options
    Figures from the ONS show almost half of graduates are now working in "non-graduate" jobs, where a degree is not required. That is higher than a decade ago, with most of the rise coming since the 2008-9 recession.

BBC Business Live

Wrong skill sets or just not good enough against global competition?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

To save me looking it up - anyone know what the Deposit amount is for the Euros and what the rules are for retaining it?

A £5000 deposit is required to stand in European elections. This will be returned if a candidate obtains 2.5% of the votes cast in the entire region.

http://www.independentnetwork.org.uk/research/independents-european-elections
  • Options
    Financier said:

Job title of the week: Chief Futurist and/or Chief Envisioning Officer for Microsoft UK. The man in that job is Dave Coplin and he told the Today programme that in the future offices will have more open space and no meeting rooms. He also quoted a recent survey that showed 77% of workers think that if they have cleared their emails, then they have had a productive day.

BBC Business News Ticker

Must say that responding to emails takes up about 10-15% of my time.

Dear me, they're still at this? I used to work for the CTO of BT - and with their Chief Futureologist. And met the main Imagineer from Disney. All very fun and great PR but hmm...
  • Options
    Paul Flowers' downfall shows the problems that arise when someone is promoted on the ground of ideological purity and amenability rather than competence.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2013
    Labour have a lot to answer for, while in government. Now it seems they even subsidised the Guardian to the tune of £5 million:

http://order-order.com/2013/11/01/ed-balls-5-million-state-subsidy-for-the-guardian/
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Paul Flowers' downfall shows the problems that arise when someone is promoted on the ground of ideological purity and amenability rather than competence.

Hear hear.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Miss Plato, e-mails suggest Balls wants to send Miliband to the Phantom Zone, but other than that, not really.

Ah, is Ed Balls General Zod? I thought that may be Tom Watson.

I feel a whole Nighthawks as Superman thread awaits us.
  • Options
    I did not write that piece on the Euros.

It was written by our by-elections expert.

As I understand it was a piece written a few months ago and was in the process of being updated when it was accidentally published instead of pressing save to draft on Wordpress.
  • Options
    Tim is right that this is worth a thread. Labour are a complete disaster and their record in government stinks. They are are pushing a return to socialism and price controls. They want us to spend, spend, spend all over again. By any sane reasoning they should be tanking and out of the game. But they're well ahead. Why?

The answer must be something to do with the Tories. Dave has lost his mojo. I used to think Dave was rock solid - but now I'm disappointed. Badly disappointed. I detest the EU. I detest the waste and nannying of the green agenda. I frankly don't give a shit about gay marriage one way or the other. I think spending billions on overseas development is unjustifiable) and our deficit is way more important than some African prince's next Mercedes). etc. etc.

The bottom line is this - 8 years into his leadership it's still not at all clear what Dave really believes. He wants to be PM but I don't know why anymore. His positions on the EU, deficit (talk but no action), internet naughtiness, defence, gays, and so much more have become unfathomable to me. Simply put - I don't trust him anymore. Whereas I used to assume his default opinion on things would be essentially my own (libertarian, sound money), I now assume his default position will be waffly authoritarian statist crony capitalist surrender monkeyism.

BoJo would be a much better PM. The failure of Labour to collapse is not for their own want of trying. It's because Dave is failing even worse.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited November 2013
    Plato said:

I've been watching ten seasons of Smallville again - have I missed anything of import?

That would be to:

binge-watch, verb:

to watch multiple episodes of a television programme in rapid succession, typically by means of DVDs or digital streaming. [ORIGIN 1990s: from BINGE + WATCH, after BINGE-EAT, BINGE-DRINK.]

The word binge-watch has been used in the circles of television fandom since the late 1990s, but it has exploded into mainstream use in 2013. The word has come into its own with the advent of on-demand viewing and online streaming. In 2013, binge-watching got a further boost when the video-streaming company Netflix began releasing episodes of its serial programming all at once. In the past year, binge-watching chalked up almost as much evidence on our corpus as binge-eating. (Binge-drinking remains unchallenged in the top position.)

One of the runners up to 'selfie' in word of the year:

• Options
    edited November 2013

That said, given his age and a low chance of reoffending, judges don't like sending pensioners to prison for non sexual, non violent crimes.

Cheers for the reply TSE.

It would be Ironic if the upshot of dragging out an investigation for several years, is that the guilty walk free due to becoming a pensioner or doolally in the interim.
  • Options
    Golly!
    Infoscienceaddict ‏@elafrula 3h

Why David Cameron's Internet Censorship Is a Terrifying and Terrible Idea | @scoopit http://sco.lt/8m0DtR
    Fake libertarians will of course be outraged at NannyCam.

Or not. ;^ )
  • Options
    Miss Plato, maybe Miliband is Zod and Balls is a deluded Kryptonian who believes the planet will never explode, so long as they keep borrowing and spending :p
  • Options

Cheers for the reply TSE.

It would be Ironic if the upshot of dragging out an investigation for several years, is that the guilty walk free due to becoming a pensioner or doolally in the interim.
    It is unlikely but possible.

I suspect Denis MacShane will be spending Christmas in prison due to the aggravating factors in the case and there being very little mitigation.

• Options

Lennon said:

A £5000 deposit is required to stand in European elections. This will be returned if a candidate obtains 2.5% of the votes cast in the entire region.

http://www.independentnetwork.org.uk/research/independents-european-elections
    Thanks - although it less clear what that means for parties rather than independents. (In a list system, is that a £5k deposit per party, and you can have as many names on the list as you like, or is it £5k per person on the list? If the latter, is it the whole deposit back when you pass 2.5%, or is it in 2.5% increments)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    Neil said:

"

People dont care about the European Parliament so I doubt they worry much if MEPs dont attend much. Perhaps it's a bonus for them.

I think that's definitely true for many UKIP voters. They see voting UKIP in the EP elections as a more dramatic form of abstention friom the whole thing.

In general I agree with you, but Europhiles are routinely accused of treachery, being more loyal to Brussels than their country, and the like, so Clegg hasn't exactly started it. It is possible to be completely loyal to Britain and either favour or oppose membership of the EU (and greater or less integration). I agree that PMs and deputy PMs and LOTOs need to be more careful than, say, SeanT, but in general Europhiles put up with more abuse than Eurosceptics. If you're against both, we agree.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I see the Co-op is in more trouble....running out of execs...
  • Options
    LOL

Love it!

I'm a self-confessed Binge-Watcher in that case. I did all of Supernatural S1-8 in two weeks - plus many others. I think that's about 160 episodes. Smallville was about 220. A very poor finale show but I love it overall. That the writers strung out Clark Kent for 10yrs before he donned his cape is remarkable.

Plato said:

That would be a:

binge-watch, verb:

to watch multiple episodes of a television programme in rapid succession, typically by means of DVDs or digital streaming. [ORIGIN 1990s: from BINGE + WATCH, after BINGE-EAT, BINGE-DRINK.]

The word binge-watch has been used in the circles of television fandom since the late 1990s, but it has exploded into mainstream use in 2013. The word has come into its own with the advent of on-demand viewing and online streaming. In 2013, binge-watching got a further boost when the video-streaming company Netflix began releasing episodes of its serial programming all at once. In the past year, binge-watching chalked up almost as much evidence on our corpus as binge-eating. (Binge-drinking remains unchallenged in the top position.)

One of the runners up to 'selfie' in word of the year:

• Options
    The COOP.....in The Guardian

Wardle is typical of the individuals who sit on the Co-op board. Andrew Tyrie, the Tory MP who chairs the Treasury select committee, describes it as an organisation "run by a plastering contractor, a farmer, a telecoms engineer, a computer technician, a nurse, a Methodist minister – who, incidentally, also chaired the bank – and two horticulturalists".

The former Methodist minister – Paul Flowers – will appear before Tyrie's committee next week alongside Barry Tootell, who quit in May when Moody's downgraded Co-op Bank to junk and began to lift the lid on its troubles.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/27/co-operative-group-retail
  • Options
    I'm finding this ideological bent to the membership of the board really weird. I'm frankly amazed - who was monitoring the overall composition of the appointees?

The COOP.....in The Guardian

Wardle is typical of the individuals who sit on the Co-op board. Andrew Tyrie, the Tory MP who chairs the Treasury select committee, describes it as an organisation "run by a plastering contractor, a farmer, a telecoms engineer, a computer technician, a nurse, a Methodist minister – who, incidentally, also chaired the bank – and two horticulturalists".

The former Methodist minister – Paul Flowers – will appear before Tyrie's committee next week alongside Barry Tootell, who quit in May when Moody's downgraded Co-op Bank to junk and began to lift the lid on its troubles.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/27/co-operative-group-retail

• Options
    tim said:

Mike.

Morning Tim, let's have a quick go at this question.

The Tories are unpopular for a number of reasons at the moment.

They are the Government in a very thin economic climate

They are in coalition and cannot govern as they would do on their own

There is a perception that the leadership is out of touch; but don't rely too much on the Bullingdon Club - It didn't work too well in Crewe & Nantwich - If DC and the team rediscover the drive that got them elected, this could be reversed.

The Coalition will always get the blame for cuts (or smaller increases!) in public spending

Lastly, the Tories aren't trying to make all their future spending committments on taxing Banker's bonuses. The dishonesty of Ed's posturing will hurt him doen the road IMHO

• Options
    edited November 2013
    The OECD has just released its latest economic forecasts. It's predicting 1.4% growth from the UK economy this year, followed by 2.4% in 2014. The Bank of England predicts 1.6% and 2.8% respectively. It's expecting interest rates to rise in the last three months of 2015, although it reckons unemployment will still be 7.2%.

BBC Business Live

So 2015 a good election to lose??
  • Options
    Not any more.

IT'S TEFLON LEN! How Co-op chairman Wardle has survived the storm
    Wardle’s political connections have certainly done him no harm.
    The former Labour councillor joined the Co-op’s board back in 1992, rising through the ranks to become chairman in 2007.

He was a prominent member of Labour’s sister party, the Co-operative Party, whose current MPs include Labour’s shadow chancellor Ed Balls.

Despite no discernible background in business he now presides over an empire that includes a supermarket, funeral parlours and, of course, a bank.

As a key figure in the Co-operative movement for more than two decades, Wardle has been a central figure in a series of calamitous events that have brought the Co-op Bank to the brink.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2394952/ITS-TEFLON-LEN-How-Co-op-chairman-Wardle-survived-storm.html#ixzz2l5ItsKK1
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Financier said:

Figures from the ONS show almost half of graduates are now working in "non-graduate" jobs, where a degree is not required. That is higher than a decade ago, with most of the rise coming since the 2008-9 recession.

BBC Business Live

Wasn't that the story about The Board of The Co-Op Bank?

• Options

tim said:

Mike.

The Coalition will always get the blame for cuts (or smaller increases!) in public spending
    I'm sure tim will rush to point out your error - such a devotee of polling and all that - but its Labour that consistently gets the blame for the cuts - by a pretty solid 10-12 point average lead for well over a year now......
  • Options

Not any more.

The former Labour councillor joined the Co-op’s board back in 1992, rising through the ranks to become chairman in 2007.

He was a prominent member of Labour’s sister party, the Co-operative Party, whose current MPs include Labour’s shadow chancellor Ed Balls.

Despite no discernible background in business he now presides over an empire that includes a supermarket, funeral parlours and, of course, a bank.

As a key figure in the Co-operative movement for more than two decades, Wardle has been a central figure in a series of calamitous events that have brought the Co-op Bank to the brink.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2394952/ITS-TEFLON-LEN-How-Co-op-chairman-Wardle-survived-storm.html#ixzz2l5ItsKK1

The entire co-op group should be investigated by police.
  • Options
    Financier said:

BBC Business Live

Or just not that many jobs that actually require a degree. If only 25% of new jobs are 'graduate' ones, but 50% of the cohort goes to University, then 50% of all Graduates will either not have a job, or will have a non-graduate one. Highlights one (amongst many) of the pointless fallacies of politicians '50% to University' mantra.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    OT Since I've largely lost interest in UK politics, I've been entertaining myself with US TV. A few recommendations for those who also tune in are

The Mentalist - spoilers say we're about to discover who Red John is next week - after 4 yrs of waiting, this is apparently a humdinger of an episode. I've been pretty impressed overall at the whole run.

Revolution - much better than S1, and well worth tuning in for - the Earth has no electricity due to nanotechnology blocking it. All very Wild West meets X-Files

Supernatural - after 8 solid seasons, S9 is not impressing me as its all over the place. But I live in hope that God's Angel of Choice will get his grace back and the King of Hell does his mojo.

Haven - I'm really enjoying this after finding the first half of S1 rather peculiar. We're now on S4.

The Originals - more vampires in Louisiana - well that's a novel idea, entertaining but nothing to write home about

Agents of Shield - love it, superb production/SFX quality - its movie stuff but lasts 23 shows. ABC have got this right even if its been a bit slow to get going.

Masters of Sex - just brilliant 1950s, with Michael Sheen as pioneer of sex therapy. He's as convincing as he was Cloughie or Blair. Superb stuff.

Grimm - procedural cop show meets mermaids and werewolves meets Superman of Faerie Tales - excellent mash-up.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Carlotta, the bold stuff is almost as childlike as Morris Dancer's Mr isam, Mr ajob Miss ola bollocks, please stop.

tim calling another poster childish... irony overload.
  • Options
    Falstaff. My king! my Jove! I speak to thee, my heart!

Henry V. I know thee not, old man. Fall to thy prayers.
    How ill white hairs become a fool and jester!

Falstaff Pual Flower, Henry V Edward Miliband.
  • Options
    Plato said:

OT Since I've largely lost interest in UK politics, I've been entertaining myself with US TV. A few recommendations for those who also tune in are

The Mentalist - spoilers say we're about to discover who Red John is next week - after 4 yrs of waiting, this is apparently a humdinger of an episode. I've been pretty impressed overall at the whole run.

Revolution - much better than S1, and well worth tuning in for - the Earth has no electricity due to nanotechnology blocking it. All very Wild West meets X-Files

Supernatural - after 8 solid seasons, S9 is not impressing me as its all over the place. But I live in hope that God's Angel of Choice will get his grace back and the King of Hell does his mojo.

Haven - I'm really enjoying this after finding the first half of S1 rather peculiar. We're now on S4.

The Originals - more vampires in Louisiana - well that's a novel idea, entertaining but nothing to write home about

Agents of Shield - love it, superb production/SFX quality - its movie stuff but lasts 23 shows. ABC have got this right even if its been a bit slow to get going.

Masters of Sex - just brilliant 1950s, with Michael Sheen as pioneer of sex therapy. He's as convincing as he was Cloughie or Blair. Superb stuff.

Grimm - procedural cop show meets mermaids and werewolves meets Superman of Faerie Tales - excellent mash-up.

Agree that Masters of Sex is brilliant...

Currently massively enjoying House of Cards (US/Netflix version)

Is The Orginals basically a True Blood rerun, or different somehow?
  • Options
    At least 22 people are reported to have been killed in two explosions which hit the Iranian embassy in the Lebanese capital Beirut in quick succession.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24997876

At least one dead 'diplomat'.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Not any more.

The entire co-op group should be investigated by police.

No, I think we need a full judge led, independent inquiry into what was going in the Co-Op / Labour and Co-operative Party. Its what Ed would want.
  • Options
    Tim

As you are the poster who repeatedly posted lyrics from High School Musical on this site, I suggest you refrain from criticising other posters from what they post on here.

Nor should you question the intelligence of other posters, individually or as a group.

Is that understood?
  • Options
    Where is Ed?
    A major part of the Co-op’s vast indebtedness has been caused by its merger in 2009 with the ailing Britannia Building Society, a move that was strongly pushed by Labour Cabinet minister Ed Balls, who just happens to be a leading figure in the Co-operative movement.

His role in the catastrophic Britannia deal was outlined by Flowers, who said Balls was ‘particularly supportive of us, talking to us and encouraging us’. In fact, before the current crisis, Balls liked to boast he had helped to create ‘Britain’s first ever super-mutual’.

But Balls can hardly be considered an impartial figure where the Co-op’s activities are concerned, given that he receives no less than £50,000 a year from the Co-operative Group to run his office as Shadow Chancellor.

In evidence to MPs earlier this month, Flowers said he had helped oversee a £100,000 donation to Balls, who he described as a ‘political friend’.

Balls, who has always delighted in bashing greedy bankers, has been conspicuously quiet over the Co-op’s crisis. He is one of 32 Labour MPs who are members of the Co-operative Party, which is effectively the political arm of the Co-operative retail, financial and wholesale movement.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2509607/Labour-ethical-bank-morally-bankrupt-other.html#ixzz2l5O1VmFZ
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2013
    People can always "rely" on the Co-op to be buried.... Well maybe?
    http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/co-operative-funeralcare-apologises-after-dispatches-investigation

The latest expansion by the Co-op is into legal services. Probate, Wills etc ... Which can be expected to be thoroughly thought out by its fine board of professional leaders.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Raheem Kassam ‏@RaheemJKassam 17h

Cameron’s efforts to regulate the internet is really almost called, “Won’t somebody PLEASE think of the children!?” > http://bit.ly/1bUI8uR
    NannyCam cracking down hard as 'internet cop'.

:)
  • Options
    Plato - agree about Mentalist - I will try and look at the rest of your recs over Xmas.
  • Options

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/co-operative-funeralcare-apologises-after-dispatches-investigation

The latest expansion by the Co-op is into legal services. Probate, Wills etc ... Which can be expected to be thoroughly thought out by its fine board of professional leaders.

I do have some belief in the ability of co-op's parnterships and other non corporate bodies to have a good part to play in business, but they have to be held to the same standards.

Compare how John Lewis operates for example, as an excellent model for business and employment.
  • Options
    On tv at present is one of those fine leaders of the Co-op. Ideal material for a shop Manager at the Co-op. What? He was running their financial services? Unbelieveable.
  • Options
    I see that media studies grads have second highest emloyment rates. Only medics do better.

That's one in the eye for those who attack this area.

pic.twitter.com/5sO22lH97Y
  • Options

I do have some belief in the ability of co-op's parnterships and other non corporate bodies to have a good part to play in business, but they have to be held to the same standards.
    Compare how John Lewis operates for example, as an excellent model for business and employment.
    John Lewis hires profesionals and not Labour party representatives. The Co-op was run by a HR policy based on political deals.
This discussion has been closed.