Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sykes donation puts up the stakes for Farage at EURO201

13»

Comments

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

It gets worse for the Crystal Methodist

Today the Daily Echo can reveal that the controversial clergyman has a hidden past in Hampshire. As reported by this newspaper, he was convicted of carrying out a sex act in a Hampshire public toilet more than 30 years ago.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10818258.Sex_shame_past_of_Co_op_bank_supremo/

He later left the area and took up a key position on Rochdale Council in Greater Manchester at a time when social workers there had been strongly criticised for snatching 20 youngsters from their homes amid claims they were subjected to “Satanic ritual abuse”.

A Government report at the time attacked the authority’s social services committee – on which Rev Flowers was vice chairman – for its actions following the allegations.

Rochdale....child abuse.....satanists.....this is now so far into 'you couldn't make it up territory.....'
    OMG, as someone who has lived in Hedge End for 45 years, I remember this clearly, I cant believe its the same chap, it was a major local scandal at the time.Hedge End was much smaller then & I was still at school and the botley toilets become the hub of jokes and insults as did Rev Flowers. It made headlines in the local papers for days.

How did he ever get in his position at the Co-op?
  • Options

Fenster said:

I'm pretty impressed with Co-Op guy buying Crystal Meth.

Coke and Ket are one thing, but Crystal Meth, geez. It's heavy stuff - as addictive and life-screwing as heroin.

Neil - didn't Crystal used to be associated with the gay scene? Because of its horn-inducing qualities?* I'm sure I read Johann Hari talking about it a while back, and how it was leading to people doing things they wouldn't do when they are sober.

*Given the 'shrivel factor' associated with speed I'm surprised that crystal meth is a sex drug. But then I've never taken it, so I don't know what effect it has on that!

There's another thing I find quite puzzling about this report. I heard that the crystal methodist was apparently on a salary of around £150k (don't know the exact figure). What kind of self-respecting banker would work for such a paltry sum? I'm sure Bob Diamond would have been ashamed to even claim such loose change in expenses. In fact, as I recall, he refused to call it salary - it was his 'remuneration'.
    Bob Diamond was Chief Executive, whereas as The Crystal Methodist was merely a Chairman.

As any Chief Executive will tell you, they do all the hard work, whereas the Chairman is usually some boring old fart who only works 2 days a month chairing the board.
    Fair enough. I suppose given all that it's really unfair of that select committee to expect him to know how much the bank's assets were worth.
    As a Director he should know.

Iirc the confusion was over total assets and net assets.
    He had no number at all to answer the size of their loan book....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,948
    edited November 2013

Fenster said:

I'm pretty impressed with Co-Op guy buying Crystal Meth.

Coke and Ket are one thing, but Crystal Meth, geez. It's heavy stuff - as addictive and life-screwing as heroin.

Neil - didn't Crystal used to be associated with the gay scene? Because of its horn-inducing qualities?* I'm sure I read Johann Hari talking about it a while back, and how it was leading to people doing things they wouldn't do when they are sober.

*Given the 'shrivel factor' associated with speed I'm surprised that crystal meth is a sex drug. But then I've never taken it, so I don't know what effect it has on that!

There's another thing I find quite puzzling about this report. I heard that the crystal methodist was apparently on a salary of around £150k (don't know the exact figure). What kind of self-respecting banker would work for such a paltry sum? I'm sure Bob Diamond would have been ashamed to even claim such loose change in expenses. In fact, as I recall, he refused to call it salary - it was his 'remuneration'.
    Bob Diamond was Chief Executive, whereas as The Crystal Methodist was merely a Chairman.

As any Chief Executive will tell you, they do all the hard work, whereas the Chairman is usually some boring old fart who only works 2 days a month chairing the board.
    Fair enough. I suppose given all that it's really unfair of that select committee to expect him to know how much the bank's assets were worth.
    As a Director he should know.

Iirc the confusion was over total assets and net assets.
    He had no number at all to answer the size of their loan book....
    Have sympathy he was so nervous about his appearance at the committee, he was probably on Crystal Meth at the time to calm his nerves.

Hate the sin, not the sinner.

• Options
    This has to be one of the funniest scandals in the UK since Mark Oaten had his mid life crisis.

The Crystal Methodist makes Rob Ford look boring.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063
    edited November 2013

This has to be one of the funniest scandals in the UK since Mark Oaten had his mid life crisis.

If not already viewed just watch the first 10 mins or so...

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=14134
  • Options

If not already viewed just watch the first 10 mins or so...
    Will Do.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

I have just spoken to my mum about him, she remembers it clearly as well, it was such a big scandal round here. How can a local vicar serving three small villages who gets caught getting saucy with another chap in a public toilet and has to leave his job and area in disgrace, with no banking knowledge at all, end up being Chairman of the Co-op bank. Total madness.

Who was is that praised the Co-op bank for its ethical and responsible banking?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063
    edited November 2013
    Hoorar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labour HQ’s role in fixing these problems reveals the depth of the party’s involvement in backing Unite’s strategy in Falkirk.

Based on this new information in Unite’s report, It would seem Labour party officials broke party membership rules by logging some members’ start-date as when their application was received.

The combination of Iain McNicol seeming to change the rules on direct debits and, membership forms potentially being back-dated is toxic for Labour’s position on Falkirk.

These revelations only serve to increase pressure on Ed Miliband to re-open the Falkirk inquiry. This time though, rather than focus exclusively on actions in Falkirk, Brewers Green should be part of the remit.

Did Iain McNicol authorise a change in the terms of the “union join” recruitment scheme to give Unite a year to collect direct debits? If so, why didn’t he tell the party’s own inquiry?

Were any memberships back-dated to start at the point they were received at head office? If so, who authorised this?

Until these questions like these are definitively answered, Labour’s problems in Falkirk will continue to grow.

Atul Hatwal is editor of Labour Uncut

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2013/11/19/new-revelations-expose-contradictions-in-the-labour-leaderships-story-on-falkirk/#more-17503

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    SAW..These non-stories are just a nuisance.. jamming up the MSM..
  • Options
    currystar said:

I have just spoken to my mum about him, she remembers it clearly as well, it was such a big scandal round here. How can a local vicar serving three small villages who gets caught getting saucy with another chap in a public toilet and has to leave his job and area in disgrace, with no banking knowledge at all, end up being Chairman of the Co-op bank. Total madness.

You misheard.

The co-op was praised for its methical and irresponsible w@nking.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The Crystal Methodist was advising Labour on economics and banking ?

Now it ALL makes sense.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Rather sad news that Tie Rack is to close. I always thought the shops added a bit of colour to train concourses, airports, etc.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Rather sad news that Tie Rack is to close. I always thought the shops added a bit of colour to train concourses, airports, etc.

People stopped wearing ties unfortunately.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

Did they? People still wear them on Saturday afternoons round here.
  • Options
    The SNP's document on tax & spend:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0043/00438277.pdf
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,307
    Matt Scott
    The Guardian, Thursday 12 August 2010

Sheffield Wednesday have a fairy godmother and, remarkably, it is a high street bank. The Hillsborough club are £22m in debt to the Co-operative Bank, a figure that is expected to rise significantly following their relegation to League One last season.

But despite the risk of another £3m and more being added to the red half of Wednesday's ledger, talks have led to the Co-op pledging to extend credit lines further this year.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

I blame the BBC
  • Options
    You know a bank has lost it when they are lending to football clubs outside the Prem. And then extending their credit. Thought it might all end in tears.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

Not sure I completely buy it - but David Gow argues that a UKIP triumph in the Euros could help the SNP in the Indie vote:

Ukip could be the midwife of Scottish independence
    A triumph by the anti-EU party in European elections would propel Tory Eurosceptics into overdrive and swell the nationalist vote in Scotland

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/19/ukip-scottish-independence-anti-eu-european-elections-scotland

If UKIP poll well in the Euros, they should also make substantial gains in the local elections on the same day.
    Next year's local elections are mostly in urban areas, including London, where UKIP is weak and Labour is strong. Turnout will be higher in these areas because the on-the-ground effort by Council candidates will be much greater than in areas where only MEP positions are at stake. This can be expected to give Labour a higher share, and UKIP a lower share, than the polls predict.

There are a fair number of urban areas where UKIP have significant support, such as Dudley, Stoke, Hull, Havering. UKIP topped the poll in some of those areas in the 2009 Euros.
    Whilst not disagreeing with the general point you are making , the examples you give are poor .In Dudley UKIP lost their last councillor in 2012 to Labour who also gained 12 seats from the Conservatives . Hull had very poor UKIP results in 2012 just 5% of the vote and Stoke very poor UKIP results in the allout elections in 2011 just 3% of the vote .
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,948
    edited November 2013
    Tie rack were doomed the moment they stopped making bow ties that matched my shoes.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    @Scrapheap_as_was Labour Uncut part of the right wing smear campaign. Surely some mistake.
  • Options
    Paddy has pulled that market - doubt I'll be getting a ton on another rick for a while...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You know a bank has lost it when they are lending to football clubs outside the Prem. And then extending their credit. Thought it might all end in tears.

They lost it a long time ago... they lent to the labour party.

• Options
    Still full of shit, I'm afraid. He's taking the main parties' stunts and pandering seriously and talking like if you don't want low-paid people moving to Britain Lab and Con will take care of it. They won't, and they can't, because Britain's in the EU. I think that's a good thing, but some voters don't.

Also, I don't think this is fair on UKIP:
    Ukip is famously disorganised; how can we be sure that extremists have not made it through the screening process and on to the candidates' list?
    Nasty, and not very perceptive.
  • Options
    Labour is closing in on a hung parliament with Betfair:

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.101416490

No maj 2.50
    Lab maj 2.58
    Con maj 4.30
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Co op bank also have a "very favourable" loan arrangement with the 2nd biggest club in Scotland - their Chairman ? One "Dr" John Reid....

• Options
    AndyJS said:

No maj 2.50
    Lab maj 2.58
    Con maj 4.30

Finally in the green with Betfair on that.

Profit/Loss £1.56 !
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

No maj 2.50
    Lab maj 2.58
    Con maj 4.30

Mostly at the expense of the Con maj price - NOM pretty stable..
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

Not sure I completely buy it - but David Gow argues that a UKIP triumph in the Euros could help the SNP in the Indie vote:

Ukip could be the midwife of Scottish independence
    A triumph by the anti-EU party in European elections would propel Tory Eurosceptics into overdrive and swell the nationalist vote in Scotland

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/19/ukip-scottish-independence-anti-eu-european-elections-scotland

If UKIP poll well in the Euros, they should also make substantial gains in the local elections on the same day.
    Next year's local elections are mostly in urban areas, including London, where UKIP is weak and Labour is strong. Turnout will be higher in these areas because the on-the-ground effort by Council candidates will be much greater than in areas where only MEP positions are at stake. This can be expected to give Labour a higher share, and UKIP a lower share, than the polls predict.

There are a fair number of urban areas where UKIP have significant support, such as Dudley, Stoke, Hull, Havering. UKIP topped the poll in some of those areas in the 2009 Euros.
    Whilst not disagreeing with the general point you are making , the examples you give are poor .In Dudley UKIP lost their last councillor in 2012 to Labour who also gained 12 seats from the Conservatives . Hull had very poor UKIP results in 2012 just 5% of the vote and Stoke very poor UKIP results in the allout elections in 2011 just 3% of the vote .
    The examples were based on the 2009 Euro elections since we were mainly talking about that type of election. I think people often vote differently in local elections compared to Euro elections. For example UKIP would never top the poll in Hull in local elections but they did in the 2009 Euros.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2013
    The media is being very harsh on the poor Rev Flower – who hasn’t committed gross indecency in a public loo and dabbled with rent-boys while smoking crack cocaine and snorting crystal meth - or lost £700 million and run a bank into the ground for that matter?

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone…!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Every time I read "crystal methodist" I can't help thinking of Richard O'Brien and over-excited contestants in shell suits. It must just be having the word crystal followed by another one beginning with the letter m.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    My plan for Lib Dem world domination (pb passim) was going well until UKIP got rid of Bloom. However, still think we will achieve it as early as 2733.
  • Options

The media is being very harsh on the poor Rev Flower – who hasn’t committed gross indecency in a public loo and dabbled with rent-boys while smoking crack cocaine and snorting crystal meth - or lost £700 million and run a bank into the ground for that matter?

Typical Friday night out in Manchester.

• Options
    John Swinney on Indie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25003574

Corporation tax 3% lower in Scotland......doesn't address how that works in the context of a currency union....I expect the rUK CoE would be delighted to see businesses decamp to Edinburgh.....

Having scanned the Scottish Government document - it seems long on hope n'optimism and short on detail.....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Plato said:

The US version of HoCards is very solid - I've watched it 3x and would highly recommend. Spacey is excellent. The US market has really got this off to a tee.

The Unoriginals isn't a patch on True Blood IMO - its derivative and hammy - I'd give it 6/10 for entertaining filler - True Blood by comparison is much more novel and gripping. I thought Erik was a great supporting male lead.

I've seen lots of good comments about Sleepy Hollow - I've not watched it yet but coming from pretty critical friends, that's an endorsement. If you haven't given Haven or Grimm or Supernatural a shot - all are well worth it and have a slightly different angle on weird stuff.

Lennon said:

Plato said:

OT Since I've largely lost interest in UK politics, I've been entertaining myself with US TV. A few recommendations for those who also tune in are

The Mentalist - spoilers say we're about to discover who Red John is next week - after 4 yrs of waiting, this is apparently a humdinger of an episode. I've been pretty impressed overall at the whole run.

Revolution - much better than S1, and well worth tuning in for - the Earth has no electricity due to nanotechnology blocking it. All very Wild West meets X-Files

Supernatural - after 8 solid seasons, S9 is not impressing me as its all over the place. But I live in hope that God's Angel of Choice will get his grace back and the King of Hell does his mojo.

Haven - I'm really enjoying this after finding the first half of S1 rather peculiar. We're now on S4.

The Originals - more vampires in Louisiana - well that's a novel idea, entertaining but nothing to write home about

Agents of Shield - love it, superb production/SFX quality - its movie stuff but lasts 23 shows. ABC have got this right even if its been a bit slow to get going.

Masters of Sex - just brilliant 1950s, with Michael Sheen as pioneer of sex therapy. He's as convincing as he was Cloughie or Blair. Superb stuff.

Grimm - procedural cop show meets mermaids and werewolves meets Superman of Faerie Tales - excellent mash-up.

Agree that Masters of Sex is brilliant...

Currently massively enjoying House of Cards (US/Netflix version)

Is The Orginals basically a True Blood rerun, or different somehow?
    Sleepy hollow is well worth a watch.

Very pleasantly surprised by it (as I was Masters of Sex btw).
  • Options
    Good afternoon, cohorts.

Mr. JS, surely Ed Tudor-Pole?

In unrelated but nevertheless magnificent news, Sir Edric's Temple is now out in ye olde physical format. At just under a fiver it's a reasonably priced and splendid present to buy someone for Christmas: http://www.lulu.com/shop/thaddeus-white/sir-edrics-temple/paperback/product-21306938.html

[It will eventually be up on Amazon, but will cost more and take circa 2 months to get there].
  • Options

John Swinney on Indie:

Corporation tax 3% lower in Scotland......doesn't address how that works in the context of a currency union....I expect the rUK CoE would be delighted to see businesses decamp to Edinburgh.....

Having scanned the Scottish Government document - it seems long on hope n'optimism and short on detail.....

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Documents/tucbank3.jpg

That might have to be very low indeed by the time of Indy - race to the bottom.
  • Options

You missed out 'been Vice Chair of a heavily criticised Rochdale Social Services Committee over allegations of satanic abuse against children....'

Sounds like the ideal candidate!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

A currency union doesnt imply a common tax code. As shown by the Eurozone. I would have thought tax competition and a lower corporation tax rate in particular would be one of the 'yes' sides' most popular arguments (it is certainly very popular in the Republic of Ireland). Though they probably want to stop short of an economic war such as the one that followed Irish independence.
  • Options
    At school a classmate of mine said I looked like the (usually but not always) headless horseman from Sleepy Hollow.
  • Options

If you havent done at least 2 of those by the time you're 40 then you havent lived.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Plato said:

The US version of HoCards is very solid - I've watched it 3x and would highly recommend. Spacey is excellent. The US market has really got this off to a tee.

The Unoriginals isn't a patch on True Blood IMO - its derivative and hammy - I'd give it 6/10 for entertaining filler - True Blood by comparison is much more novel and gripping. I thought Erik was a great supporting male lead.

I've seen lots of good comments about Sleepy Hollow - I've not watched it yet but coming from pretty critical friends, that's an endorsement. If you haven't given Haven or Grimm or Supernatural a shot - all are well worth it and have a slightly different angle on weird stuff.

Lennon said:

Plato said:

OT Since I've largely lost interest in UK politics, I've been entertaining myself with US TV. A few recommendations for those who also tune in are

Agents of Shield - love it, superb production/SFX quality - its movie stuff but lasts 23 shows. ABC have got this right even if its been a bit slow to get going.

Masters of Sex - just brilliant 1950s, with Michael Sheen as pioneer of sex therapy. He's as convincing as he was Cloughie or Blair. Superb stuff.

Grimm - procedural cop show meets mermaids and werewolves meets Superman of Faerie Tales - excellent mash-up.

Agree that Masters of Sex is brilliant...

Currently massively enjoying House of Cards (US/Netflix version)

Is The Orginals basically a True Blood rerun, or different somehow?
    Plato - "Low Winter Sun" is where it's at, best cop show since the Wire IMHO.

High praise indeed.

*** wanders off to move it up his viewing schedule******
  • Options
    Neil said:

I would have thought tax competition and a lower corporation tax rate in particular would be one of the 'yes' sides' most popular arguments.
    Nothing wrong with tax competition - tho how you get its main target to agree to it may be another matter entirely.....
  • Options

Neil said:

I would have thought tax competition and a lower corporation tax rate in particular would be one of the 'yes' sides' most popular arguments.
    Nothing wrong with tax competition - tho how you get its main target to agree to it may be another matter entirely.....
    The point of independence is that the main target doesnt get a say in it, Carlotta.
  • Options
    Neil said:

A currency union doesnt imply a common tax code. As shown by the Eurozone. I would have thought tax competition and a lower corporation tax rate in particular would be one of the 'yes' sides' most popular arguments (it is certainly very popular in the Republic of Ireland). Though they probably want to stop short of an economic war such as the one that followed Irish independence.
    Might impact upon labour plans for the future... I very much doubt that they will be signing up for lower corporation tax.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I can't tell if Homeland has totally lost the plot or is brilliant this season - I certainly am a bit confused by WTF is going on - all very itty bitty.
    TGOHF said:

Plato said:

Oh will watch out for that - it's not appeared in the Top 100 downloads for TPB which I use as a yardstick yet.

TGOHF said:

Plato - "Low Winter Sun" is where it's at, best cop show since the Wire IMHO.

Low Winter Sun is a stretched to a series remake of a British (Scottish?) two part drama with the same star relocated to the US. Your mileage may vary...

Watched both - both good. Apart from the first 30 mins there isn't much in common.

• Options

Best American TV show this year, Banshee.

Banshee was great.

• Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Neil that said crystal meth, not crystal swing
  • Options
    currystar said:

Well quite. I'm hoping to make Pope. You heard it here first.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Neil that said crystal meth, not crystal swing

Crystal Swing is a more addictive high, MrsB.
  • Options

Oh err, missus - more tea Vicar?
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I rather like Homeland, although they need to either kill Brodie[sp] off or bring him back.

Majid Javadi[sp]'s storyline so far is very good, and I'm glad Saul's getting a bit more of the show now Brodie's gone [for now at least]. I wonder if the dickhead bureaucrat is one of those human stereotypes that's culturally unviersal (thinking of the senator who'll lead the CIA). In The Outlaws of the Marsh, a Chinese classic, there was the slightly clunkily translated line: "Don't be afraid of officials, except those who officiate over you".
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

The point of independence is that the main target doesnt get a say in it, Carlotta.
    I know....so why they think they can carry on using the pound (unless they 'dollarise') and doing exactly what they please, is yet to be adequately explained.....
  • Options
    I was hoping the new Dir of the CIA was actually the bomber - there are still several suspects - I'll keep my trap shut re spoilers as not sure what's been shown here yet.

I see almost all of US TV online and have no idea how out of sync we are at times.

Miss Plato, I rather like Homeland, although they need to either kill Brodie[sp] off or bring him back.

Majid Javadi[sp]'s storyline so far is very good, and I'm glad Saul's getting a bit more of the show now Brodie's gone [for now at least]. I wonder if the dickhead bureaucrat is one of those human stereotypes that's culturally unviersal (thinking of the senator who'll lead the CIA). In The Outlaws of the Marsh, a Chinese classic, there was the slightly clunkily translated line: "Don't be afraid of officials, except those who officiate over you".

• Options
    I think we're a few days behind for Supermodels of SHIELD. Not sure about Homeland. Probably a fair way, I'd guess.
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

I know....so why they think they can carry on using the pound (unless they 'dollarise') and doing exactly what they please, is yet to be adequately explained.....
    Their approach to currency post Independence has been explained pretty comprehensively. Obviously they cant control the reaction of the rUK Government to proposals for a currency union. But essentially they will have no less ability to lower the corporation tax rate in an independent Scotland than the Republic of Ireland did.
  • Options
    Neil said:

If you havent done at least 2 of those by the time you're 40 then you havent lived.
    Well quite - as long as he stays clear of incest and Morris dancing, who are we to criticise?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,589

The examples were based on the 2009 Euro elections since we were mainly talking about that type of election. I think people often vote differently in local elections compared to Euro elections. For example UKIP would never top the poll in Hull in local elections but they did in the 2009 Euros.

Whilst I agree that some people vote differently at local and Euro elections my point is that the areas which have local elections will see much higher turnouts because people feel more strongly about their Council than about their MEP and because the parties will make more effort on the ground. Some of these "extra" voters may split their vote but the majority will vote for a party ticket in both the Euros and locals and this will push up Labour's share of the national vote at the expense of other parties. So the effect of the local elections in 2014 will be to make it harder for UKIP to win the Euro vote.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557

Be careful about criticising the SNP - you'll be accused of being a racist

http://goo.gl/DwY0NY

Many on here would do well to read the content, see the reality in Scotland and the hash the stupid unionists are making of the referendum, Cameron's great plan of leaving it to Darling will be seen as one of the dumbest political decisions in history.
    Westminster sponsor their tame Think Tank to publish drivel about what will happen in next 50 years , when we know they don't even know what is happening this week. Result , tell Scots they are too thick and stupid to spend their own money and will be starving unless they continue to let those clever chaps, that borrow £120B a year to survive , in Westminster arse up their future.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Westminster sponsor their tame Think Tank to publish drivel

When in doubt start questioning the integrity of the IFS and ESRC.
  • Options
    To be fair, the IFS issued bloody stupid pronouncements over the first (I think) Coalition budget. The forecast of declining unemployment leading to lower a benefits bill as more people worked and paid tax instead of receiving financial support from the state led the IFS to claim that the budget was 'not progressive'.

Leaving aside the fact I dislike the term 'progressive' in and of itself, the idea that somehow more people working and not being unemployed would be a bad thing was just bonkers.

I do think the SNP/Yes have some questions to answer (the currency one still isn't properly addressed), but I don't think the word of the IFS should be engraved on stone and mounted on a plinth.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    The 10 worst British winters ever for those who like that sort of thing.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-10-worst-british-winters-ever-8945584.html?action=gallery
  • Options
    Neil said:

Their approach to currency post Independence has been explained pretty comprehensively.

Indeed so. So far it's been stated as joining the Eurozone, having their own currency, keeping the pound in some sort of currency union whether the UK likes it or not, and keeping the pound but without a currency union.

As you say, that's pretty comprehensive. Short of adopting the US Dollar, it's hard to see what they've missed out.
  • Options
    That will take a bit of reading , good practice for next week as White paper is over 500 pages
  • Options

John Swinney on Indie:

Why would corporation tax affect any currency union
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

John Swinney on Indie:

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Documents/tucbank3.jpg

That might have to be very low indeed by the time of Indy - race to the bottom.
    UK is circling the drain already
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

She does not get that Neil, stuck on the broken record that whats left will call the shots, diehard unionists cannot believe that the last vestige of empire will eb gone and they cannot browbeat their neighbours.
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

Carlotta, anyone can use the pound , we are also owners of the pound , what part of that do you not get.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Be careful about criticising the SNP - you'll be accused of being a racist

http://goo.gl/DwY0NY

Westminster sponsor their tame Think Tank
    It wasn't 'Westminster's tame think tank' a year ago today when the SNP were praising it!

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2012/nov/ifs-report-shows-scotlands-economy-stronger
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Carlotta, anyone can use the pound , we are also owners of the pound , what part of that do you not get.
    Of course you can use the pound!

Whether you can enter into a currency Union with rUK and start a tax war is another matter entirely......

• Options
    I think Supernatural is still airing S8 here. It gets very confusing when chatting on message boards or Twitter when trying to discuss a character and someone else says "Oh, X has just done Y" and I'm thinking WTF? Noooes - that was 2 seasons ago.

I think we're a few days behind for Supermodels of SHIELD. Not sure about Homeland. Probably a fair way, I'd guess.

• Options
    THE Scottish Government has acknowledged it cannot guarantee a sterling currency union with the rest of the UK after independence, as First Minister Alex Salmond’s plans to keep the pound came under mounting pressure.

After fierce exchanges at Holyrood, SNP officials did not dispute this week’s comments by a senior civil servant in the administration, who said the plan for a sterling area across the UK after Scottish independence could not be set out as “fact”.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-no-currency-union-guarantee-1-3189816
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Witless unionist spin debunked.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/stacking-the-deck/
This discussion has been closed.