Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » September 2019 Local By-Election Review

13»

Comments

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1177627728050298880?s=19

It's a no from Jo and Anna. No route into number 10 for magic grandpa

Who needs Extension more ? Corbyn or Swinson ? After all, many people say Corbyn is a Brexiteer. Who will blink first ?
    With Soubry and the IGC a firm non, Corbyn needs more than the LDs, Plaid, SNP and Lucas even if Swinson blinks. She wont want to be tainted by association
    The SNP PC and Lucas will agree to Corbyn for a "limited period". Corbyn may have strongly hinted a Scot Ref after a reasonable period. Why shouldn't Sturgeon accept that ? Only Labour can give that offer to the SNP. Also an MP for the SNP is another anti-Tory MP. With the Lib Dems you can't be sure.
    Yes but that isn't enough support, he needs the LDs and some indies too
    Does he? Are the LDs really going to VONC a GNU left by Corbyn?
    Labour plus snp plus plaid plus Lucas = 287
    Tories plus DUP plus IGC = 303
    Where are his votes if the LDs abstain?
    HYUFD said:

Vote Leave organising a 'Leavers Party/rally' from 12pm on October 31st in Parliament Square

Presumably part of Halloween?
    Ann Widdecombe and Jacob Rees Mogg may be in attendance
    Mogg is with her at the rally probably.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    A few months before the 2001 general election in which he first entered Parliament as a Conservative MP, Boris Johnson, then editor of The Spectator, published an article by Taki Theodoracopulos in which Theodoracopulos (usually known as Taki) wrote about the Jewish world conspiracy and declared himself to be a "soi-disant anti-Semite".[108][109][110] Johnson did not sack Taki.[108][110]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_the_UK_Conservative_Party#Johnson:_editor_of_The_Spectator_and_parliamentary_candidate
    Taki is a Spectator institution with a few odd views
    It's fine then.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pulpstar said:

Johnson will come back with a deal, and the Commons will vote it down I reckon.

It won't get that far , if he is defeated on the Queens Speech.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    justin124 said:

As I said in the last thread, the recent pattern has been LD surge, Con holding, Lab collapse. Labour in trouble. Good.

Because YG 1 week ago had

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    ·
    Sep 19
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 32%
    LDEM: 23%
    LAB: 21%
    BREX: 14%
    GRN: 4%

via
    @YouGov

So todays YG poll compared to a week ago is Con +1 Lab +1 Tory Swinson -1LD surge, Con holding, Lab collapse nah dont think so
    I'm obviously talking about recent local by elections as per the thread
    What the ones where "collapsing Lab" gained 1 seat from Tories and lost no seats
    OK thanks
    Yeah the ones where they lost 7% support. Those ones
    And gained the seat from "Con holding" who lost 9% of their support and Lost the seat to the collapsing party.

Perhaps you should do a tutorial on how FPTP works!!
    I didn't realize one ward in a labour held parliamentary seat was better evidence than all of the wards over the course of a month. Perhaps you should do a tutorial on small areas of Luton and their national importance.
    The Ipswich ward also saw a Con to Lab swing yesterday . It had been held by the LDs 2003 - 2011.
    This is factual. Doesn't alter the overall pattern of septembers locals
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Vote Leave organising a 'Leavers Party/rally' from 12pm on October 31st in Parliament Square

Why 1 hour too late ?
    Surely that's 11 hours early?
    Sounds like Grayling is in charge of it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

If your main priority is abolishing student debt you are almost certainly already voting Labour anyway

You miss the point. Corbyn has to get the conversation off Brexit if he is to win the next GE.

I am saying one way of doing that is for Labour to get Corby into No 10, sign an extension for 2 years so he can begin his famous renegotiation, and then announce from No 10 some eye-catching policies.

He won't last long as he can be VNOC-ed, but he needs to get into No 10 and announce some candy.

He dares the opposition parties to vote down his Cancellation of Student Dent Bill.
    he can announce it now, it doesn't make a difference. if he could enact anything during the GNU it would but an election will be the price of a GNU.

also I do think that JC being PM will have a big impact on the election which is why JS doesn't want it.
    But your last sentence is what I am trying to say. JC being PM will have a big impact on the election.

That is why Labour must want it.

In the end, this will come down to Realpolitick. the Libdems have ~15 votes. They are dwarfed by the SNP and Labour.

The LibDems will not be in a position to make demands.
    If you hold the votes that could make someone PM, you are absolutely in a position to make demands.
    The point is if all the parties start making demands, they are never going to agree. The clock is ticking.

Why does the Pipsqueak party with 18 votes get a big say? There is Super Jeremy with his tally of 247 votes, and Big Nicola with her tally of 55.

And then Pipsqueak pipes up that because she got 18, everyone has got to do what she says.
    As without Pipsqueek there is no way a Labour PM gets the votes to get to 319 or so minus Sinn Fein and a majority. It is called maths
    And so when Pipsqueak makes her demands, what do you think the other parties will do?

They say, "Ah yes, we must let Pipsqueak get her way. We won't ask for anything ourselves".
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Watch farage on sky news to understand why Johnson is shit scared. He is still a very unpleasant man though.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1177660924737589249?s=21
  • Options

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

If your main priority is abolishing student debt you are almost certainly already voting Labour anyway

You miss the point. Corbyn has to get the conversation off Brexit if he is to win the next GE.

I am saying one way of doing that is for Labour to get Corby into No 10, sign an extension for 2 years so he can begin his famous renegotiation, and then announce from No 10 some eye-catching policies.

He won't last long as he can be VNOC-ed, but he needs to get into No 10 and announce some candy.

He dares the opposition parties to vote down his Cancellation of Student Dent Bill.
    he can announce it now, it doesn't make a difference. if he could enact anything during the GNU it would but an election will be the price of a GNU.

also I do think that JC being PM will have a big impact on the election which is why JS doesn't want it.
    But your last sentence is what I am trying to say. JC being PM will have a big impact on the election.

In the end, this will come down to Realpolitick. the Libdems have ~15 votes. They are dwarfed by the SNP and Labour.

If you hold the votes that could make someone PM, you are absolutely in a position to make demands.
    The point is if all the parties start making demands, they are never going to agree. The clock is ticking.

Why does the Pipsqueak party with 18 votes get a big say? There is Super Jeremy with his tally of 247 votes, and Big Nicola with her tally of 55.

And then Pipsqueak pipes up that because she got 18, everyone has got to do what she says.
    As without Pipsqueek there is no way a Labour PM gets the votes to get to 319 or so minus Sinn Fein and a majority. It is called maths
    And so when Pipsqueak makes her demands, what do you think the other parties will do?

They say, "Ah yes, we must let Pipsqueak get her way. We won't ask for anything ourselves".
    Always the way with people with the casting vote.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

a vote on the queens speech won't happen until after 5 days of debate. it'll be the same day as he is due to go to parliament after the EU summit
  • Options

justin124 said:

As I said in the last thread, the recent pattern has been LD surge, Con holding, Lab collapse. Labour in trouble. Good.

Because YG 1 week ago had

Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    ·
    Sep 19
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 32%
    LDEM: 23%
    LAB: 21%
    BREX: 14%
    GRN: 4%

via
    @YouGov

So todays YG poll compared to a week ago is Con +1 Lab +1 Tory Swinson -1LD surge, Con holding, Lab collapse nah dont think so
    I'm obviously talking about recent local by elections as per the thread
    What the ones where "collapsing Lab" gained 1 seat from Tories and lost no seats
    OK thanks
    Yeah the ones where they lost 7% support. Those ones
    And gained the seat from "Con holding" who lost 9% of their support and Lost the seat to the collapsing party.

Perhaps you should do a tutorial on how FPTP works!!
    I didn't realize one ward in a labour held parliamentary seat was better evidence than all of the wards over the course of a month. Perhaps you should do a tutorial on small areas of Luton and their national importance.
    The Ipswich ward also saw a Con to Lab swing yesterday . It had been held by the LDs 2003 - 2011.
    This is factual. Doesn't alter the overall pattern of septembers locals
    The national polls may have been all over the place but the council by-elections have been pretty consistent for a while now, as you indicated.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Always the way with people with the casting vote.
    Pipsqueak no more has the casting vote than the SNP.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Also there is no comma in Middleton Cheney

But what there IS in Middleton Cheney is a stupendously high murder rate. Thankfully there is also a highly rated local detective who somewhat remarkably is able to clear each one up with the help of just a single sidekick.
    Although, bizarrely, there always seem to be a spate of two or three murders before he finally catches "whodunnit". I wish he were a bit more competent.
    Like Oxford in the Morse era, it makes Baltimore look a safe place.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

The QS being voted down isn't a confidence issue and it's likely Johnson will have to go to the EU council anyway as theres no time for anyone else to be installed. The VONC would follow after any deal is voted on
  • Options

Who needs Extension more ? Corbyn or Swinson ? After all, many people say Corbyn is a Brexiteer. Who will blink first ?
    With Soubry and the IGC a firm non, Corbyn needs more than the LDs, Plaid, SNP and Lucas even if Swinson blinks. She wont want to be tainted by association
    The SNP PC and Lucas will agree to Corbyn for a "limited period". Corbyn may have strongly hinted a Scot Ref after a reasonable period. Why shouldn't Sturgeon accept that ? Only Labour can give that offer to the SNP. Also an MP for the SNP is another anti-Tory MP. With the Lib Dems you can't be sure.
    He might manage circa 310 votes. It would then depend on how many Independents and ex-Tories decide to abstain.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

nichomar said:

Watch farage on sky news to understand why Johnson is shit scared. He is still a very unpleasant man though.

Read that Times report on focus groups. Farage has lost his mojo. He’s got a loyal fan club but people see him as an obstacle to Brexit. A toad in the road.

BXP will get ~10% if there is a GE soon.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

rcs1000 said:

So the LDs will accept a No Deal Brexit ? I was told otherwise.

Ok add them to his pile, puts him 2 ahead, but Mann and Hoey come off so even Stevens. He might get OMara, Williamson and Vaz, he definitely wont get Lewis, Austin, Elphicke, Hermon, probably not Field. He may get Heidi Allen but not Shuker or Joan Ryan.
    Hes probably 4 or 5 behind so needs at least 5 ex Tories and the rest to abstain. And that's if the likes of Luciana Berger dont at best abstain.
    He hasn't got the numbers
    Hermon is *really* anti No Deal, so she'd really struggle.
    Slight side issue - but wtf is O'Mara still doing in the House? The man has no honour
    He’s not been found guilty of anything other than being a loathsome twat with a variety of unconvincing excuses for his behaviour. That in the job spec for MPs, I understand.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Sounds like Farage is readying himself for Bojo getting a deal. But I don't think BXP can survive us leaving with a deal. Leave is Leave.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

The QS being voted down isn't a confidence issue and it's likely Johnson will have to go to the EU council anyway as theres no time for anyone else to be installed. The VONC would follow after any deal is voted on
    A Confidence Vote would follow a defeat on the Queens Speech.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes but may and probably would be delayed until after the EU council
  • Options

nichomar said:

Sounds like Farage is readying himself for Bojo getting a deal. But I don't think BXP can survive us leaving with a deal. Leave is Leave.
    It does sound like it
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1177664471768223744?s=21
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

It would take place the next day. Unlikely to be a statement on the EU council if the Queens Speech vote is lost.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Pulpstar said:

the vote doesn't happen until after 5 days of debate. assuming that debate starts on 14th then the vote would be on 21st (following monday)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

After the rotten eggs which the Palace got on prorogation, HM will play a straight bat. Johnson is VoNCed and the Palace will ask for Corbyn. No funny business this time.
    Corbyn delivers letter. Tells HMQ he cannot form a government because of Swinson.
    Election. I don't think Swinson has a veto.
    In the scenario you note Swinson has effected her veto. Corbyn is not Prime Minister.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Logging on to PB for the first time this evening. Has anything important happened in the last few hours?
  • Options
  • Options
    matt said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

But what there IS in Middleton Cheney is a stupendously high murder rate. Thankfully there is also a highly rated local detective who somewhat remarkably is able to clear each one up with the help of just a single sidekick.
    Although, bizarrely, there always seem to be a spate of two or three murders before he finally catches "whodunnit". I wish he were a bit more competent.
    The Oxford Colleges in the Morse Era are remarkable.

The Fellowship is always teeming with devil worshippers, sex murderers, paedophiles, rapists, drug dealers & fraudsters.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Agreed. If there is ANY kind of Brexit 90% of the country will think OK, that’s that, why is Farage still here?

He knows it. He needs an endlessly delayed or revoked Brexit to maintain relevance. His party has failed to build a serious policy platform outwith Brexit, so Brexit is all he has. And if the Tories get Brexit done, then Farage is done, too.

• Options
    phiwphiw Posts: 32
    edited September 2019
    Standard end-game strategy for 12-dimensional Mornington backgammon:

1) Pull the tellers from the Kinnock amendment vote ensuring it passes
    2) Permit the fast-track of the amended Benn Bill in the Lords to receive Royal Assent without amendment
    3) Put up no argument for the long prorogation of Parliament, causing justices to respond strongly to govt, setting up another 'establishment blockage' to Brexit
    4) Shrug shoulders and say "of course we'll obey the law"
    5) Get to October 19th and say, "oh hold on Supreme Court, this Benn Act isn't internally consistent as it makes reference to content and intent in section 1(4) that isn't referenced in the letter provided in the schedule. There's no way that the PM could follow this act without simultaneously violating it".
    6) Sit tight for 2 weeks until Halloween, safe in the knowledge that both Bercow and Corbyn will be done and dusted before Christmas.
  • Options

nichomar said:

But I’ve just brought my dinner up watching that I may need therapy.
  • Options

nichomar said:

It does sound like it
    'A deal'? I don't go in for the general low opinon of Farage, but that's just daft. 'A deal' could be everything we want, Macron take to the air saying that Britain has the world's best cuisine, and Cyprus and Malta back. He's effectively saying if it doesn't end in acrimony, we haven't divorced. Don't see the public going for this.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

Logging on to PB for the first time this evening. Has anything important happened in the last few hours?

No but the Telly is shit at the moment
  • Options
    justin124 said:

He might manage circa 310 votes. It would then depend on how many Independents and ex-Tories decide to abstain.
    Labour plus Plaid plus Lucas plus SNP plus LDs is 305. He should get Hopkins, OMara and Williamson. Being generous I'll give him Heidi Allen. That's 309. Take off Mann and Hoey and Berger who simply will not vote confidence in him (nor will Chuka but I'll be generous)
    306 is the max I can see voting for him.
    298 Tories and DUP, 5 Change, Austin, Lewis, Woodcock, Field, Elphicke. 308 and game over before the ex Tories even get considered. None of them will vote for him, some will vote against.
    Coalition of chaos loses
  • Options
    The apostrophe in peoples' is on the wrong place.
  • Options

nichomar said:

It does sound like it
    'A deal'? I don't go in for the general low opinon of Farage, but that's just daft. 'A deal' could be everything we want, Macron take to the air saying that Britain has the world's best cuisine, and Cyprus and Malta back. He's effectively saying if it doesn't end in acrimony, we haven't divorced. Don't see the public going for this.
    Farage sounds desperate now. He also sounds extremist, which he has, crucially, always managed to avoid, hitherto. His shtick was ‘I’m the reasonable guy in the pub.’ This is not that.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,839

HYUFD said:

Presumably part of Halloween?
    Bit late for that. After midnight is the Day of the Dead.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited September 2019

nichomar said:

It does sound like it
    I think Nigel is starting to get desperate to try and stay relevant.

The criticism he received from Brexit Party supporters this week for calling for Boris to go must have come as a shock to him.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

AndyJS said:

The usual pointless trench-warfare...
  • Options

nichomar said:

It does sound like it
    Yes, looking as if Nigel has lost it. Dom and Boris can now happily put him on their mantelpiece.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    JackW said:

Tabman said:

So, a bit like Boris's Hedge Fund backers, you Auchtentehach Pies stands to cash in if Swinson goes all the way :smiley:

An outrageous slur on the good name of one of PB's Old and Bold.

Neither am I in a position to comment on, let alone confirm or deny, that a LibDem surge would lead to a dusting off of plans (in place since the 1906 Liberal landslide) for a flotation of Auchentannach Fine Pies on the London Stock Exchange.
    I can only apologise for the mangling the name of your most august of catering combines; the Chateau Sandale kicked in a little too early!

• Options

nichomar said:

AndyJS said:

The usual pointless trench-warfare...
    Well I suppose we are used to endless repeats.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

AndyJS said:

70's Old Grey Whistle Test at 2200 on BBC4 looks promising, but otherwise pretty crap.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

nichomar said:

Agreed. If there is ANY kind of Brexit 90% of the country will think OK, that’s that, why is Farage still here?

He knows it. He needs an endlessly delayed or revoked Brexit to maintain relevance. His party has failed to build a serious policy platform outwith Brexit, so Brexit is all he has. And if the Tories get Brexit done, then Farage is done, too.

Yep. BXP under 5% if we have left, Tories 40%
  • Options
    Byronic said:

nichomar said:

It does sound like it
    Farage sounds desperate now. He also sounds extremist, which he has, crucially, always managed to avoid, hitherto. His shtick was ‘I’m the reasonable guy in the pub.’ This is not that.
    Not really, both he and half the cabinet don't want a Deal. He knows it and so does BoZo.
  • Options

By definition Corbyn can't be a Caretaker PM as he'll be contesting the General Election to keep the job. Which he'll be able to campaign in as the incumbent. It has to be someone at the end of their career and preferably someone who isn't standing at the GE. They have to be able to say to voters this isn't a coup. I'm here for X months to do Y. There will be an election and you'll be rid of me because I won't even be a candidate. And it should be a ' Tory ' so there is no nominal change in the PM's party. And making Labour MPs support a Tory adds to the voter offer. This isn't a partisan coup in fact it's a sacrifice.

Kenneth Clarke and Nicholas Soames are the obvious choices.Given their ages I hope this isn't the end of the road for Rory Stewert, Amber Rudd and David Gauke but if it is they'd all be good candidates as well.

Churchill was a Caretaker PM in June/July 1945.
  • Options

No it isn’t.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,858
    Byronic said:

nichomar said:

A soft deal and Farage consigned to oblivion wouldn't be a terrible outcome tbh.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is happening - Brexit is a monumental cock-up, there is no deal a-coming in.
  • Options

nichomar said:

It does sound like it
    Funnily enough Malta voted to become part of the UK but we nixed it because they were wary of loads of colonial MPs if other colonies followed suit so they ended up independent having wanted to be part of our fine nation
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited September 2019
    In calling for Boris to resign after the Supreme Court judgement Nigel looks very flaky for the first time as he was pretty supportive of proroguing Parliament at the time.

This is his LBC show from 28th August when it was announced they were going to prorogue Parliament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oufNT5Ov3-o
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,346

I suspect her English is better than your Bulgarian.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    phiw said:

2) Permit the fast-track of the amended Benn Bill in the Lords to receive Royal Assent without amendment
    3) Put up no argument for the long prorogation of Parliament, causing justices to respond strongly to govt, setting up another 'establishment blockage' to Brexit
    5) Get to October 19th and say, "oh hold on Supreme Court, this Benn Act isn't internally consistent as it makes reference to content and intent in section 1(4) that isn't referenced in the letter provided in the schedule. There's no way that the PM could follow this act without simultaneously violating it".
    6) Sit tight for 2 weeks until Halloween, safe in the knowledge that both Bercow and Corbyn will be done and dusted before Christmas.

Section 4(1) that says:

In section 20(4) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (which provides for regulations to be made amending the definition of exit day) for “may” substitute “must”.

??
  • Options

justin124 said:

Labour plus Plaid plus Lucas plus SNP plus LDs is 305. He should get Hopkins, OMara and Williamson. Being generous I'll give him Heidi Allen. That's 309. Take off Mann and Hoey and Berger who simply will not vote confidence in him (nor will Chuka but I'll be generous)
    298 Tories and DUP, 5 Change, Austin, Lewis, Woodcock, Field, Elphicke. 308 and game over before the ex Tories even get considered. None of them will vote for him, some will vote against.
    Coalition of chaos loses
    Clarke and Bebb have indicated they might vote for Corbyn.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    kinabalu said:

This is why the Benn Act was probably a mistake. They should have let him go to the summit before acting.

I feel this too. In fact I feel it strongly.

They should have let him go and fail to get a Deal. He would have had no excuses.

This way gives him cover for failure AND a helpful softhead grievance narrative.

I think the opposition have messed up and Johnson probably wins from here. He gets a majority.
    If people are fool enough to vote for Johnson, knowing what everyone now knows, they'll probably do it regardless of what exactly happens in parliament.

Ultimately in a democracy there's a limit to what anyone can do to protect people from the consequences of their own stupidity.
  • Options

Byronic said:

nichomar said:

A soft deal and Farage consigned to oblivion wouldn't be a terrible outcome tbh.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is happening - Brexit is a monumental cock-up, there is no deal a-coming in.
    A soft Deal would not consign Farage to the dustbin. Only No Deal, and a persisting No Deal would do that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

nichomar said:

A soft Deal would not consign Farage to the dustbin. Only No Deal, and a persisting No Deal would do that.
    In which case, I'd rather have Remain and Farage forever bleating from the side.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wishful thinking

Not particularly wishful, I won't be voting at the next General Election & am largely disinterested in the fate of Tories, LibDems and Labour.

In a fight between Corbyn & the LibDems, why should Corbyn back down?

Especially if Corbyn has the support of PC + Green + SNP.

There was quite a lot of steel shown at the Labour Party Conference. Corbyn & McDonnell are playing a ruthless game.
    The LDs will refuse to back either Corbyn or Boris, that is the reason they are now polling over 20% if they pick either of them they instantly lose about half their vote
    Fine. Then they are forced to choose No Deal. And lose half their vote.

They have been placed in a position in which they can only make a losing move.
    Nope. Ex-Tories hold the casting vote.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    HYUFD said:

Sounds.... Safe
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Coalition of chaos loses
    Clarke and Bebb have indicated they might vote for Corbyn.
    Still not enough
  • Options
    Chris said:

nichomar said:

Hancock is a plank unable to have a thought of his own ideal cabinet material in this adminisration.

He was on the World at One today trying to say that the Proroguation was unlawful but not illegal. He seems to be unaware of the difference between an illegal and unlawful act.
    He has an Oxford first in PPE. Are university degrees subject to judicial review?
    £2.99 online.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

nichomar said:

In which case, I'd rather have Remain and Farage forever bleating from the side.
    Farage forever bleating from the side is going to happen no matter what. even if he was PM and got his own FTA with the EU
  • Options

nichomar said:

It does sound like it
    Funnily enough Malta voted to become part of the UK but we nixed it because they were wary of loads of colonial MPs if other colonies followed suit so they ended up independent having wanted to be part of our fine nation
    Malta would have 3 mps according to the proposal and referendum perhaps they would have got Corbyn over the line
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

nichomar said:

Disagree. Even if the deal was quite disadvantageous, you can't 'feel' money going to the EU every month. If you could, we'd have left years ago.
  • Options
    The visible hatred between Nigel Farage and Dominic Cummings, two men both convinced of their own genius and blind to their own flaws, is among the few consolatory amusements of Brexit.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

AndyJS said:

There's always Top of the Pops 1988 on BBC4.
  • Options

nichomar said:

It does sound like it
    Malta would have 3 mps according to the proposal and referendum perhaps they would have got Corbyn over the line
    under DCs act to change the boundaries they'd have 6 or 7 now
  • Options
    Mis conduct in public office! Where is this going?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

nichomar said:

Disagree. Even if the deal was quite disadvantageous, you can't 'feel' money going to the EU every month. If you could, we'd have left years ago.
    Well, I don't think we will see.

There is no stopping the car crash No Deal now.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

I have no idea who Kristalina is, and I used to pretty plugged in to the IMF community.
  • Options

phiw said:

Section 4(1) that says:

In section 20(4) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (which provides for regulations to be made amending the definition of exit day) for “may” substitute “must”.

??
    You got me just before my edit! should be 1(4):

"...a letter in the form set out in the Schedule to this Act
    requesting an extension of that period to 11.00pm on 31 January 2020 in order
    to debate and pass a Bill to implement the agreement between the United
    Kingdom and the European Union under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on
    European Union, including provisions reflecting the outcome of inter-party
    talks as announced by the Prime Minister on 21 May 2019, and in particular the
    need for the United Kingdom to secure changes to the political declaration to
    reflect the outcome of those inter-party talks."

The letter in the schedule makes no reference to any of this.

• Options
    If it became necessary to 'stop Corbyn' - if some sort of nasty 2 year coalition was being proposed, Boris could probably get at least Nokes, Burt and Benyon back on team, possibly Vaizey and a couple others. Enough to kill off any chance of Corbyn PM in the unlikely event of an opposition United front
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

It seems to matter very much to you, what the "pipsqueak" party does. Methinks he doth protest too much ;-)

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Byronic said:

nichomar said:

Farage finally done, a busted flush, must be a great incentive for those spiteful EUrocrats to do a deal with Boris.
  • Options
    phiw said:

phiw said:

Section 4(1) that says:

??

if that's their 'loophole' it's pretty weak
  • Options

matt said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

The Oxford Colleges in the Morse Era are remarkable.

The Fellowship is always teeming with devil worshippers, sex murderers, paedophiles, rapists, drug dealers & fraudsters.
    It's no different today. As Mrs Tabman tells me.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

phiw said:

phiw said:

Section 4(1) that says:

??

if that's their 'loophole' it's pretty weak
    Can't really disagree with you there, but with all the talk by Grieve etc. that it's 'watertight', it's at least something to potentially point to.
  • Options
    It’s quite interesting to see now that, now we have Johnson, farage is apparently dispensable and is no longer relevant. You are all far to transparent.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I have no idea where Three Bridges is (in West Sussex).

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1177646684475666434
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I have no idea who Kristalina is, and I used to pretty plugged in to the IMF community.
    She was the Chief Executive of the World Bank so I’m surprised you hadn’t heard of her.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    edited September 2019

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Your dislike of the LDs borders on the pathological which is fair enough but it does cloud your ability to see things from their POV.

Both of the parties sustained by our unrepresentative electoral system have moved off towards their respective extremes, lots of people like me can't stand Corbyn or Johnson. We are the voters the LDs are aiming for. We are voting LD because she is not Corbyn or Johnson and to side with either would be fatal.

The LDs are coming back from a low point positioning themselves as THE remain party and getting say 25% of the vote would be a major step forward. It is an excellent strategy for them, particularly if Brexit doesn't lead us toward the sunlit uplands
  • Options

The visible hatred between Nigel Farage and Dominic Cummings, two men both convinced of their own genius and blind to their own flaws, is among the few consolatory amusements of Brexit.

:lol:
  • Options
    GLA going full tilt. They gave 14 days for BJ to respond but have decided screw that and gone to the rozzers. I fancy that means they know it wont lead to anything
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    AndyJS said:

Crawley. A must win marginal for Lab.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    AndyJS said:

nichomar said:

AndyJS said:

Presumably edited down to about nine minutes?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

spudgfsh said:

HYUFD said:

Your dislike of the LDs borders on the pathological which is fair enough but it does cloud your ability to see things from their POV.

Both of the parties sustained by our unrepresentative electoral system have moved off towards their respective extremes, lots of people like me can't stand Corbyn or Johnson. We are the voters the LDs are aiming for. We are voting LD because she is not Corbyn or Johnson and to side with either would be fatal.

The LDs are coming back from a low point positioning themselves as THE remain party and getting say 25% of the vote would be a major step forward. It is an excellent strategy for them, particularly if Brexit doesn't lead us toward the sunlit uplands
    They've been the only consistent party in this whole debacle out of the three 'main' parties and they are now reaping the rewards.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

AndyJS said:

nichomar said:

AndyJS said:

Presumably edited down to about nine minutes?
    Due to sundry unperson DJs?

OTOH 1988 was the year of Rick Astley
  • Options

Byronic said:

nichomar said:

Farage finally done, a busted flush, must be a great incentive for those spiteful EUrocrats to do a deal with Boris.
    The EU is not going to do anything which allows Johnson to claim victory.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    AndyJS said:

My dog, Minton, has eaten my shuttlecock.

Bad Minton.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,022
    AndyJS said:

The train line from London to Brighton passes thru Redhill (ugh) and Gatwick Airport. Keep goijg down past Gatwick and you get to Three Bridges, a small station that enables you to change to a southwestern bound train that goes thru Chichester and gets to Southampton and thence further points west. There's nothing wrong with Three Bridges but little right with it: WW2 bomb damage and subsequent redevelopment created a lot of places that are dull and anonymous with no real centre or interest. It's a place you come from, not go to. The platforms are bleak and exposed to the elements: not so much dangerous as depressing. Not bad, not good, just a place to sleep before tomorrow's commute.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,291
    Tabman said:

Chris said:

nichomar said:

Hancock is a plank unable to have a thought of his own ideal cabinet material in this adminisration.

He was on the World at One today trying to say that the Proroguation was unlawful but not illegal. He seems to be unaware of the difference between an illegal and unlawful act.
    He has an Oxford first in PPE. Are university degrees subject to judicial review?
    As several mags have said recently: PPE is the ultimate bullshiters degree.
    £2.99 online.
This discussion has been closed.