Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mayor of London Siobhan Benita? Don’t rule it out

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mayor of London Siobhan Benita? Don’t rule it out

In the absence of big names and big characters, London politics has dropped off the media radar a bit. After the controversial Ken Livingstone and the future PM Boris Johnson, Sadiq Khan has been – spats with Donald Trump aside – a lower-profile mayor.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    First unlike Sibohan?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,776
    justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Interesting analysis here. Based on the relative PM/LotO satisfaction figures, Johnson would be on for a triple-digit majority landslide.

https://twitter.com/RafBSingh/status/1175056343927054336

That is really interesting.

I wonder how Swinson's figures compare to Johnson's?

We'll have to see whether Johnson's figures do implode after October 31st, as hoped by the anti no deal brigade.
    Also, whether it is Jezza or Jo that voters think of as LOTO )B

Will Labour prop up a minority Swinson government?
    Far from certain that the LDs end up with more MPs than they have now - though they may reach 25.
    They are currently on, what, 16 or 17?

Nothing is certain, and there are a fair number of their existing seats that are threatened. But I would be very surprised if they didn't make their current mark. Simply, there are a lot of seats (as in 12-20) in deepest Remainia where they would expect to do very well.

Jo Swinson is a more formidable opponent than Tim Farron. The coalition was an increasingly long time ago. And there's a good 20-25% of the electorate who are (to use HYUFD's phrase) Diehard Remainers.
  • NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    edited September 2019
    If I lived in London, I'd vote for Siân Berry, 100%.
    Well, actually, if I lived in London I'd move somewhere else, but you know what I mean.
    Have the Tories managed to find a candidate who isn't racist this time around?
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    edited September 2019
    Mayor Who ? Yes, I rule it out. Completely. Sadiq Khan is a Remainer and not the slightest bit Corbynista, if that is what you are getting at.
  • Noo said:

Well they had a candidate who isn't racist, but he's Prime Minister instead of Mayor now.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Noo said:

Well they had a candidate who isn't racist, but he's Prime Minister instead of Mayor now.
    Oh thank goodness. I'd hate to think someone who talked about "flag-waving picanninies" could be a Conservative candidates for mayor, or indeed prime minister.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    eek said:
    Just.Cancel.The.Negotiations.Already.
    eek said:
    "closer by the hour" :D
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Oh thank goodness. I'd hate to think someone who talked about "flag-waving picanninies" could be a Conservative candidates for mayor, or indeed prime minister.
    Only a Girly Swot or Big Girls Blouse would object to being called a flag waving piccanniny with watermelon smile, or a letterbox.

• Noo said:

Bravo!
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    eek said:
    'Tis but a scratch.
    Noo said:

It wasn't the racism that bothered me as much as how mind numbingly dull Goldsmith was, which he combined with being anti-development in errr... London.

Really, if I was to write down all of the things I admired about Zac Goldsmith, it would be a very short list.

- name begins with a "Z" (which is kind of cool)
    - errrr
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    I won't offer an opinion on this - too many uncertainties. By contrast, I think there's now an arb of sorts for the Democratgic nomination. I can't see any of the candidates except the top 3 (Biden, Warren, Sanders) winning, and if you bet 3:2:1 at current Betfair odds on them I think you'll make a profit whichever it is.
  • kle4 said:

eek said:
    Um, why? It's quite obvious that each of these points is pure opinion.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    eek said:
    Curb your scorn. This is all part of wor Dom’s masterplan.

Preach.
  • Noo said:

Noo said:

Irony:

Boris says "picaninnies" once, which is apparently Very Bad, even though the people who pretend to be offended by it have to look it up just to know what it means, let alone how to spell it.

Lefties then say "picaninnies" fifty billion squillion times.

kle4 said:

eek said:
    Just a flesh wound.
    blueblue said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Irony:

Boris says "picaninnies" once, which is apparently Very Bad, even though the people who pretend to be offended by it have to look it up just to know what it means, let alone how to spell it.

1. It is bad
    2. I'm not a "leftie"

kle4 said:

eek said:
    As is mine, what of it? I don't think any deal will pass even if he gets one, so this is a waste of time until an election where either Boris gets backing for no deal (and perhaps the EU become a great deal more flexible) or remainer parties initiate their own plans.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,857
    rcs1000 said:

It wasn't the racism that bothered me as much as how mind numbingly dull Goldsmith was, which he combined with being anti-development in errr... London.

Really, if I was to write down all of the things I admired about Zac Goldsmith, it would be a very short list.

- errrr

He's quite tall.
    rcs1000 said:

Noo said:

- errrr
    Horses for courses. I think we could all do with a bit of dull competence right now. Not that I'm saying Goldsmith is competent. I find it hard to look past the vile campaign that was run by/for him.
  • Noo said:

blueblue said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Irony:

1. It is bad
    2. I'm not a "leftie"
    Sorry, I used the non-PC term. I meant "dextrally-challenged".
    The Descent, starring
    - Brexit
    - The Daily Telegraph

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1175075315439341571
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587
    rcs1000 said:

Noo said:

- errrr
    Named after one of the London guilds ?
    blueblue said:

Picaninnies. Unbelievable.

50 billion squillion plus 1.
    blueblue said:

Noo said:

blueblue said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Irony:

1. It is bad
    2. I'm not a "leftie"
    Sorry, I used the non-PC term. I meant "dextrally-challenged".
    I wouldn't mind being called a leftie, were it not for the fact that it's simply not true.
    Unless you define "leftie" as meaning "doesn't like racism", in which case I will point out there's plenty of racism on the left.
    edited September 2019

I won't offer an opinion on this - too many uncertainties. By contrast, I think there's now an arb of sorts for the Democratgic nomination. I can't see any of the candidates except the top 3 (Biden, Warren, Sanders) winning, and if you bet 3:2:1 at current Betfair odds on them I think you'll make a profit whichever it is.

I don't see what Sanders' path to the nomination is, and I think Buttigieg could well win Iowa. I think the odds are roughly 1/3 Biden, 1/3 Warren, 1/3 anyone else (of which Buttigieg is the standout).

If you look through the headline voting numbers, and look at some of the underlyings, you see a few things:

1. The best "favourables" are for Warren, and she's made progress at every debate. (And neither Sanders nor Biden's net favourables are that good.)

2. Below the surface, Buttigieg is making ground. If you look at the "who would you consider voting for" numbers, then Buttigieg keeps climbing (now ahead of Harris and closing in on Sanders), while Biden and Sanders are slipping.

3. In one of the two Iowa polls this week, Buttigieg was just three points behind Biden and Sanders. In the other, while he trailed Biden meaningfully, he was well ahead of Sanders. He has the momentum in Iowa. He has the second best organisation there. If he wins, then he's in this race for the long-term. (Will he? I suspect he's a 20-25% shot, with Warren being a 50% one.)
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    rcs1000 said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Interesting analysis here. Based on the relative PM/LotO satisfaction figures, Johnson would be on for a triple-digit majority landslide.

https://twitter.com/RafBSingh/status/1175056343927054336

That is really interesting.

I wonder how Swinson's figures compare to Johnson's?

We'll have to see whether Johnson's figures do implode after October 31st, as hoped by the anti no deal brigade.
    Also, whether it is Jezza or Jo that voters think of as LOTO )B

Will Labour prop up a minority Swinson government?
    Far from certain that the LDs end up with more MPs than they have now - though they may reach 25.
    They are currently on, what, 16 or 17?

Nothing is certain, and there are a fair number of their existing seats that are threatened. But I would be very surprised if they didn't make their current mark. Simply, there are a lot of seats (as in 12-20) in deepest Remainia where they would expect to do very well.

Jo Swinson is a more formidable opponent than Tim Farron. The coalition was an increasingly long time ago. And there's a good 20-25% of the electorate who are (to use HYUFD's phrase) Diehard Remainers.
    More in London which is why Berry could win the London Mayoral race but the LDs are unlikely to win nationally at the next general election
    Noo said:

rcs1000 said:

Noo said:

- errrr
    Horses for courses. I think we could all do with a bit of dull competence right now. Not that I'm saying Goldsmith is competent. I find it hard to look past the vile campaign that was run by/for him.
    Has he shown any evidence of competence?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

- errrr

He's quite tall.

But gangly.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited September 2019
    We need opinion polls, but these days we only seem to get them very occasionally. Polls are the lifeblood of discussion on PB.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    rcs1000 said:

Noo said:

rcs1000 said:

Noo said:

- errrr
    Has he shown any evidence of competence?
    He is evidence that a financially successful father can smooth the way for an unimpressive child. Without his trust fund he would be nothing...
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    rcs1000 said:

I don't see what Sanders' path to the nomination is, and I think Buttigieg could well win Iowa. I think the odds are roughly 1/3 Biden, 1/3 Warren, 1/3 anyone else (of which Buttigieg is the standout).

If you look through the headline voting numbers, and look at some of the underlyings, you see a few things:

1. The best "favourables" are for Warren, and she's made progress at every debate. (And neither Sanders nor Biden's net favourables are that good.)

2. Below the surface, Buttigieg is making ground. If you look at the "who would you consider voting for" numbers, then Buttigieg keeps climbing (now ahead of Harris and closing in on Sanders), while Biden and Sanders are slipping.

3. In one of the two Iowa polls this week, Buttigieg was just three points behind Biden and Sanders. In the other, while he trailed Biden meaningfully, he was well ahead of Sanders. He has the momentum in Iowa. He has the second best organisation there. If he wins, then he's in this race for the long-term. (Will he? I suspect he's a 20-25% shot, with Warren being a 50% one.)
    I think Mayor Pete would balance the Warren ticket nicely as VP.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Noo said:

No.
  • kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

- errrr

He's quite tall.
    That generally just means gets over promoted with a touch of arrogance. Tick, tick.
    rcs1000 said:

I think Sanders' path is to knock out Warren as the more credible progressive, and then benefit from Biden faltering. Buttigieg seems to me to lack first choice appeal - like Siobhan Benita, he seems a perfectly reasonable candidate whom few actively dislike, but not likely to make it to the final two.

That said, I agree it's possible, so my suggestion that the winner HAD to be one of top three was too simplistic.
    HYUFD said:

Daniel Hannan enters the Trudeau affair.

And it is all the better for it.
  • kle4 said:

eek said:
    Maybe. But the opinion of the EU is kinda key as to whether there's a deal or not.
    blueblue said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Irony:

You feel that racist insults are OK because you reckon the victims are probably too ill-educated or foreign to know what they mean?

I think you should stop digging.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    Jo Swinson has just moved to second favourite in the next PM betting stakes.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160843673
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

I think Mayor Pete would balance the Warren ticket nicely as VP.
    Good shout on the left/right angle, but these are both candidates who disproportionately appeal to college-educated white voters.

Warren/Booker?
    Andy_JS said:

Have people become stupid?
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Perhaps a few LDs have put money on to shift the odds!
    Re US Elections:

I think Mayor Pete is a terrible VP choice, and won't be picked for that role. Beto O'Rourke will be the Democrat's VP pick. He's white, not too young and popular in state with a lot of EVs.

And I still don't see Sanders path. He's not going to win in Iowa. He's likely to place fourth, in single digits poll-wise, and get somewhere around bugger-all delegates.

Which means he absolutely has to win New Hampshire. Biden can survive the loss of Iowa and New Hampshire, as South Carolina is likely to be a win for him. But Sanders can't come back from losing Iowa, NH and South Carolina. At that point the "progressive" vote is entirely with Warren.

Also just did my part for retail spending. Should prove a prett decent boost for the London economy!
    Nigelb said:

But gangly.

TBF if you're that tall you're almost bound to be gangly. About the only exception to that that I can think of is Luca Brasi. Nothing gangly about him. Tall, yes, but not gangly.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Well think about it a moment will the next PM be a Tory possibly but unlikely in the short term, will it be Jeremy corbyn possibly. Given the current political situation she has a, not unreasonable chance of being the next PM. who would suggest is the second favorite to be PM?
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

- errrr

He's quite tall.
    He used to be related to Imran Khan by marriage.
  • nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Well think about it a moment will the next PM be a Tory possibly but unlikely in the short term, will it be Jeremy corbyn possibly. Given the current political situation she has a, not unreasonable chance of being the next PM. who would suggest is the second favorite to be PM?
    I'd have thought her chances of that were greater under a policy of EURef2 - she'd at least have been in the top ten of potential people to deliver a request letter if they had to sack off Boris in a hurry on Oct 29th. But this seems a bit odd. It can't be based on her winning a majority or even largest party at an election (can it?). Is she seen as the last-ditch person to Revoke if Boris forces an otherwise-unacceptable choice?
    Universities are clearly pushing voter registration hard. Just got this email.

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

The other options are Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn and Ken Clarke.

One is a mad racist posh boy philanderer with the intellect of a stewed rabbit and a policy offering based on a bunch of stupid lies that intelligent people discarded decades ago.

One is nearly eighty years old.

And one is Boris Johnson.

Swinson looks really attractive compared to that lot.
  • Universities are clearly pushing voter registration hard. Just got this email.

Does, perhaps, show a certain bias on the part of the graphics team...

I am all for encouraging people to register to vote - I did so very promptly when I recently moved.

But it should be done in an impartial way - if you are a public body like a University
    Chris said:

Yes there is that too.

And while we're at it, he's not bald even though his father was. That's not to be sniffed at.

So it would appear that rcs1000 was wrong - having a name starting with Z might well be the best thing about him but there are other strong points.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

I am all for encouraging people to register to vote - I did so very promptly when I recently moved.

But it should be done in an impartial way - if you are a public body like a University
    Yeah, who in their right mind thought putting Labour in block capital letters in the middle of the graphic was a good idea?

It’s technically from the Students’ Union and we know what they tend to be like.

Was it from the University or the Labour Party? If the former it’s a disgrace unless there is more balance than we can see, if it is the latter how did they know who was coming, down to email address?
  • Universities are clearly pushing voter registration hard. Just got this email.

It’s technically from the Students’ Union and we know what they tend to be like.
    That would explain it then.
    kinabalu said:

Chris said:

Yes there is that too.

And while we're at it, he's not bald even though his father was. That's not to be sniffed at.

So it would appear that rcs1000 was wrong - having a name starting with Z might well be the best thing about him but there are other strong points.
    (Huffily)

There's nothing wrong with being bald, you know!
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Evening all :)

For Siobhan to win it means pushing Bailey into third place and while the European election results might suggest that's possible, I'd argue the Conservative recovery under Johnson makes it less likely at the moment but with so much happening (or not happening), you'd be a fool to play this market at those odds at this time.

The other aspect is whether Conservatives could, given the massive divergence in positions on Brexit, give an LD candidate a second preference. It might be possible for Green voters but not BP or Conservatives so the second question becomes whether Siobhan can get close enough to Sadiq to overhaul him on second votes.

Aberystwyth used to register people on the electoral register automatically. I don't think universities can do that any more though.

I might add, I was annoyed about that because I'd made a conscious decision to stay registered in Gloucestershire for a very large number of reasons. I didn't really move to Aber and think of it as home until about 2003.
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

One is a mad racist posh boy philanderer with the intellect of a stewed rabbit and a policy offering based on a bunch of stupid lies that intelligent people discarded decades ago.

I feel that's a bit harsh on Ken Clarke. And please note that Corbyn is only 70, not nearly 80.
    ydoethur said:

Aberystwyth used to register people on the electoral register automatically. I don't think universities can do that any more though.

I might add, I was annoyed about that because I'd made a conscious decision to stay registered in Gloucestershire for a very large number of reasons. I didn't really move to Aber and think of it as home until about 2003.
    Did it unregister you at your previous address?
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

I feel that's a bit harsh on Ken Clarke. And please note that Corbyn is only 70, not nearly 80.
    Really?

Maybe he just looks it.

But you're right, it is a bit harsh on Clarke to be called Boris Johnson. :lol:
    edited September 2019

ydoethur said:

No. That's how I ended up with two votes.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

There's clear bias in that. It's clear the bias was intended too.

Hard to care that much about it though, but should this be the norm for Labour supporters then it's pretty clear they just want a one party state.

I think Corbyn will agree to a GE if everyone else agrees that only Labour can field candidates. He may still lose, but that's his best shot.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But it is illegal to vote twice in a national election. Interestingly because local elections are ‘different’ elections you can vote wherever you claim to be entitled. As to how they ever catch you well that’s a different question.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,236
    HYUFD said:

Daniel Hannan enters the Trudeau affair.

Nothing is so bad it cannot be made worse by the addition of Daniel Hannan.

Hahaha. When is the next shipment of popcorn coming through Dover?
  • Omnium said:

Hard to care that much about it though, but should this be the norm for Labour supporters then it's pretty clear they just want a one party state.

I think Corbyn will agree to a GE if everyone else agrees that only Labour can field candidates. He may still lose, but that's his best shot.
    Conservatives are currently defending the suspension of democracy. Motes and beams.
    edited September 2019
    RobD said:

Yeah, who in their right mind thought putting Labour in block capital letters in the middle of the graphic was a good idea?
    Someone in their left mind?

Omnium said:

Conservatives are currently defending the suspension of democracy. Motes and beams.
    You make a fair point.
    edited September 2019
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But it is illegal to vote twice in a national election. Interestingly because local elections are ‘different’ elections you can vote wherever you claim to be entitled. As to how they ever catch you well that’s a different question.
    I didn't vote twice in any national election. In fact the point was moot because I only lived in university accommodation for nine months and there was no national election.

But in theory I could have done, due to the presumption of Jane Morgan.

It was turned back at Calais because it didn't have the right paperwork.
  • Hahaha. When is the next shipment of popcorn coming through Dover?
    The motion didn't go forward - but they will possibly try again tomorrow

The fighting will continue until Momentum have full control and the Labour Party has been completely taken over
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,289
    It's a little while since I last logged on...
    ...is the Boris Deal still getting closer by the hour?

The fighting will continue until Momentum have full control and the Labour Party has been completely taken over
    I regard that scenario as optimistic.

Good socialists fight their enemies until they are beaten.

Then they fight each other for - well, pretty much forever, as far as I can see.

Paul Brand has a slightly different take on it. Sounds like the fact its being discussed tomorrow is the process?

https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1175128021185024000?s=21
    ydoethur said:

It was turned back at Calais because it didn't have the right paperwork.
    The EU is reporting that it has slashed popcorn tariffs due to the severe popcorn shortage that hit the EU in the last few days, allegedly

When he said 'a Deal is closer by the hour' he meant 'a queue back to Deal was getting closer by the hour.'
  • kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

And of course, BJ was using some of the same language that the darling of the far right Enoch Powell used, strange how things come round again. Looking at the late Enoch he would have felt right at home in the current administration....
    ydoethur said:

When he said 'a Deal is closer by the hour' he meant 'a queue back to Deal was getting closer by the hour.'
    Ah yes, that makes more sense. My misunderstanding.
    ydoethur said:

Don’t forget Barclay told Spanish business leaders that their exports would be stuffed because of the 2 1/2 day delays at Dover which aren’t going to happen because they are only bumps in the road. Is pop corn perishable?
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

Don’t forget Barclay told Spanish business leaders that their exports would be stuffed because of the 2 1/2 day delays at Dover which aren’t going to happen because they are only bumps in the road. Is pop corn perishable?
    Don't know. It's probably considerably longer lasting as well as more intellectually vibrant than whatever Barclay keeps inside his head.
  • ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited September 2019
    So once again, rather than taking what each side says with a pinch of salt, remainers take any EU pronouncement as gospel. You really really are so full of hate you can’t see past your own noses.
  • ab195 said:

So once again, rather than taking what each side says with a pinch of salt, remainers take any EU pronouncement as gospel. You really really are so full of hate you can’t see past your own noses.

So if they say they reject the proposals, we should consider the possibility that actually they accept them?
    edited September 2019
    ab195 said:

Well, if they refuse to accept it, we don't have a deal. So therefore, we are no closer to a deal.

Admittedly it may just be Juncker spilt his gin all over it by mistake so they didn't understand it, but at this moment it seems more likely Johnson is talking rubbish. Given he has a long history of talking rubbish, this indeed seems highly probable.
    @AlastairMeeks
    If brexit does happen on 31oct (who knows what that will be) might you be for rejoining?

Does anyone know what LD policy is post brexit?

'Rejoin' would be a fantastically hard card to play. Interesting though.

kinabalu said:

blueblue said:

And of course, BJ was using some of the same language that the darling of the far right Enoch Powell used, strange how things come round again. Looking at the late Enoch he would have felt right at home in the current administration....
    If only because of his belief in the racial superiority of Indians ...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/20/thornberry-labour-could-back-tory-brexit-deal-in-exchange-for-referendum
    I could support this. But are senior Labour members making their own policies ?
  • Has there been a move on this site of Remainer/Liberal Tories to the Liberal Democrats? Genuine question.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/20/thornberry-labour-could-back-tory-brexit-deal-in-exchange-for-referendum
    I could support this. But are senior Labour members making it up as they go along because the leader is more confused than an alcoholic in a distillery ?

FTFY.

And the answer's, 'yes.'
    That would fly through the commons no problem. As to what then happens .....

Has there been a move on this site of Remainer/Liberal Tories to the Liberal Democrats? Genuine question.

Well, I'm not a Tory although I did vote for them in 2010 and 2017. But I am a Remainer and I am drifting Liberal Democrat-ward.
    Does anyone think that Emily is on manoeuvres ?
    nichomar said:

That would fly through the commons no problem. As to what then happens .....
    I'm not sure it would fly through the commons without the support of both Tory and Labour front benches (which seems very unlikely).
This discussion has been closed.