Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first full poll after Swinson’s Brexit gamble sees the LDs

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

it just occurred to me that Brexit is like the alien in Alien. We hoped to harness it and use it, but it has morphed into a danger to everyone, and it bleeds pure acid.

Now we cower on the spaceship, wondering what, or who, it will eat next.

Does that make Revoke the escape podule?

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    Helga from Allo Allo apparently
    Boris Johnson as Rene, Nigel Farage as Mimi Labonq and Jeremy Corbyn as the Colonel - it could be a big hit.
    Who plays the part of the sexy French waitress Yvette?
    Kwasi Kwarteng
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Have m'luds examined Major over his own experience of proroging parliament yet ?

It doesn't look like Major is actually going to take the stand? :(
    No. The SC doesn't hear witnesses directly. But his written submission is pretty amazing - essentially he says the Government's failure to explain their reasons fully suggests that their reasons are discreditable.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    After a shaky first half of the morning for Miller and Cherry.

The next two QCs repaired any damage and struck some stinging blows on the governments case .

Fordham is an authority on judicial review and Garnier put some very strong arguments forward .

The submissions by the government can be read as a threat . If you find unlawful then we might just go nuclear and prorogue again and you don’t know when , it could be over the 31st October .

And you’d need to put so many future safeguards in place then you’ll be seen as politically interfering .

Think those submissions might end up being an own goal by the government.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Have m'luds examined Major over his own experience of proroging parliament yet ?

No. The SC doesn't hear witnesses directly. But his written submission is pretty amazing -
    Hardly seems fair that he can cause this trouble but not be put under scrutiny for his own behaviour when prorogung parliament for political reasons.

#hypocrite
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,382
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

it just occurred to me that Brexit is like the alien in Alien. We hoped to harness it and use it, but it has morphed into a danger to everyone, and it bleeds pure acid.

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    Boris Johnson as Rene, Nigel Farage as Mimi Labonq and Jeremy Corbyn as the Colonel - it could be a big hit.
    So he DOES watch tv!
    Only against his will.
  • Options
    Scroll down the the bottom of this link:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-to-win-an-election/

That is (near enough) Trump’s platform. And yet he got nearly as many votes as Clinton....
  • Options

Interesting that the Palace has the time and the inclination to express the Queen’s displeasure about David Cameron’s comments but doesn’t have the inclination nor the time to condemn Randy Andy for hanging around with a convicted nonce.

We all know which is worse.

#Priorities

lol

I take it that means you dont want to discuss Dave making a tit of himself
    If Dave could walk on water you Leavers would criticise him for not being able to swim.

Curious though CSE usually gets Leavers all chatty but not the Epstein case.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Interesting that the Palace has the time and the inclination to express the Queen’s displeasure about David Cameron’s comments but doesn’t have the inclination nor the time to condemn Randy Andy for hanging around with a convicted nonce.

#Priorities

A truly bizarre comment. As with Topping and Nabavi, your juvenile hero-worship of Cameron leads you to some embarrassing and ridiculous opinions.

I don't understand political hero-worship. A politician is a politician, they are meant to do politics well, and when they fuck up, like Cameron here, you must tell it like it is. They are not football teams you loyally support through rain and sun. That's a very adolescent attitude, and a tiny bit creepy.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    Scott's crap tweets number 1,264,597
    As Scott approaches his 50,000th post what percentage were actually his own view ?
    Plenty! He said Farage wouldnt be in the 2015 debates, refused to bet on it, said Monty Hall was wrong, and has danced on the head of a pin about whether he is retweeting the tweets or not for starters
  • Options
    Poor Ronan Lavery QC.

I’ve never seen a man handed his testicles before, and in public!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

eristdoof said:

Byronic said:

Pclipp:

I've said before, there must a critical mass/tipping point, at which the Lib Dem surge will go viral - as it were - as everyone realises they are credible contenders, and rushes to support them as a viable alternative to Brexit AND Corbyn.

What is that tipping point? It's got to be consistently beating Labour in polls, AND polling 25-30%, I think.

So they are not far away. And we are not far away from a huge realignment, when Labour are pushed into the shadows (where they belong) and the Lib Dems return as the main centre-left party of government and opposition,

Bring it on!

I would like to point out that in 1983 the SDP Liberal Alliance were polling 25-26% just before the 1983 election, neck and neck with Labour, They got 25.4% of the actual votes cast. For this they were rewarded with a whopping 23 MPs.

I reckon 26% will get the LDs more seats in 2019 but it is certainly not close to the tipping point. Over 30%? Maybe.
    The thing about tipping points is that there is a sudden change. With three and maybe two half parties it's difficult to work out where that may be. It certainly won't be linear.
    The same is true of Climate Change, if we get to a tipping point where there's a positive feedback loop we are all in big trouble.
    Agree with it being non-linear.

Regarding Climate change the "Tipping" could start very gradually. We are talking about a huge amount of energy in a compex and only partially understood physical system. By the time enough people realise the "Tipping point has already been passed" it is likely to be too late to take that energy out of the system.

I actually think most people realise this, but many people, especially those in power, are too scared to take the necessary action.

• Options
    Unpopular opinion: the Conservative party and the country would be in much better shape if Theresa May had been the modernisers' candidate in 2005 instead of David Cameron.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

#Priorities

lol

If Dave could walk on water you Leavers would criticise him for not being able to swim.

Hate to annoy you but it's not just Leavers who are critiquing your great leader, it's pretty much everyone. Terrible avatar btw!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

There are no stands to take in Supreme Court hearings.
    It might just be Boris’ last stand....
  • Options
    Anecdote. Cameron was flying first class to NY and the stewardess (a friend) welcomed him on board. He said nothing - just put his outstretched hand directly in front of her face and then turned away.

Twat.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

#Priorities

A truly bizarre comment. As with Topping and Nabavi, your juvenile hero-worship of Cameron leads you to some embarrassing and ridiculous opinions.

I don't understand political hero-worship. A politician is a politician, they are meant to do politics well, and when they fuck up, like Cameron here, you must tell it like it is. They are not football teams you loyally support through rain and sun. That's a very adolescent attitude, and a tiny bit creepy.

Just you wait until he tells Dave you said that!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    Who are these 14% who think Brexit is going "well"? I'd like to share their drinks trolley.
    I think you’ll find they’re all lawyers and most of them are currently spending the day at the Supreme Court.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Byronic said:

#Priorities

Nobody would ever accuse me of hero-worship of Cameron; I've always hated him, since about 2005 or so when I first heard of him. But the Andrew thing is objectively much worse.
    Attending Kiddie Rape Island vs indiscretion. I mean, it's not hard.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Streeter said:

Anecdote. Cameron was flying first class to NY and the stewardess (a friend) welcomed him on board. He said nothing - just put his outstretched hand directly in front of her face and then turned away.

Twat.

I always thought he was the polite type.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

#Priorities

I'm not hero worshipping anyone I'm just explaining to you the difference between "Cameron told the Queen" and "our Private Secretaries discussed".

Should it have been mentioned? Well at stake was the United Kingdom, over which the Queen reigns. So should he have disclosed it? Probably not as it seems she took his advice, or just as likely independently came to the same conclusion, with her entreaty for people to think carefully. But the substance of what happened - idea floated for HMQ to help maintain country she rules over - is not at all one that anyone should have a problem with.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

#Priorities

lol

from memory the only things Ive really been critical of Dave are

1. his appalling choice of CoE
    2. his spending his political capital on nonsense

but really this round of book selling isnt doing him any favours
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Byronic said:

Pclipp:

I've said before, there must a critical mass/tipping point, at which the Lib Dem surge will go viral - as it were - as everyone realises they are credible contenders, and rushes to support them as a viable alternative to Brexit AND Corbyn.

What is that tipping point? It's got to be consistently beating Labour in polls, AND polling 25-30%, I think.

So they are not far away. And we are not far away from a huge realignment, when Labour are pushed into the shadows (where they belong) and the Lib Dems return as the main centre-left party of government and opposition,

Bring it on!

I would like to point out that in 1983 the SDP Liberal Alliance were polling 25-26% just before the 1983 election, neck and neck with Labour, They got 25.4% of the actual votes cast. For this they were rewarded with a whopping 23 MPs.

I reckon 26% will get the LDs more seats in 2019 but it is certainly not close to the tipping point. Over 30%? Maybe.
    The thing about tipping points is that there is a sudden change. With three and maybe two half parties it's difficult to work out where that may be. It certainly won't be linear.
    The same is true of Climate Change, if we get to a tipping point where there's a positive feedback loop we are all in big trouble.
    Agree with it being non-linear.

Regarding Climate change the "Tipping" could start very gradually. We are talking about a huge amount of energy in a compex and only partially understood physical system. By the time enough people realise the "Tipping point has already been passed" it is likely to be too late to take that energy out of the system.

I actually think most people realise this, but many people, especially those in power, are too scared to take the necessary action.

Agreed, the timescales will be different.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?

Kwasi Kwarteng
    Of course.

And the domineering French Resistance operative Michelle?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Noo said:

Byronic said:

#Priorities

Nobody would ever accuse me of hero-worship of Cameron; I've always hated him, since about 2005 or so when I first heard of him. But the Andrew thing is objectively much worse.
    Oh, I totally agree. By all accounts, Andrew is a foolish snob, and the accusations are grisly.

I just don't see the relevance here. Desperate chaff to bring it up.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

No. The SC doesn't hear witnesses directly. But his written submission is pretty amazing -
    Hardly seems fair that he can cause this trouble but not be put under scrutiny for his own behaviour when prorogung parliament for political reasons.

#hypocrite
    It isn't in any way relevant to the legal question facing the court. So what if someone could have challenged Major's prorogation via the courts more than two decades ago? They didn't so it has no bearing on the case.

It may be of interest to the public (or a section of it) but has no bearing on the legal question before the court whatsoever.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Byronic said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

#Priorities

Oh, I totally agree. By all accounts, Andrew is a foolish snob, and the accusations are grisly.

I just don't see the relevance here. Desperate chaff to bring it up.
    Oh, well that's a fair point
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

#Priorities

I’m tired of the constant misrepresentations so suck it up.

There’s a piece in the drafts of the PB servers entitled ‘David Cameron: The man who saved the Tory party, then destroyed it’ which shall be published in a fortnight or so once I’ve reread his book.

History will be kinder to him than the bellends who led Leave saying No Deal was Project Fear and now champion No Deal.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Twat.

Many moons ago First Class SQ SIN>LHR Lord & Lady Lawson - charm and civility personified - couldn’t say “thank you” to the staff often enough and every request preceded by “please”. Frankly much better behaviour than you usually get up front....
  • Options

Unpopular opinion: the Conservative party and the country would be in much better shape if Theresa May had been the modernisers' candidate in 2005 instead of David Cameron.

Too close to her nasty party speech. There are Tories that still haven't forgiven her for that (though they've probably moved on to new, improved nasty parties).
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?

Kwasi Kwarteng
    Of course.

Theresa May

"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once... No Deal is better than a bad deal and we will be leaving the European Union on March 29th 2019"
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    isam said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    As Scott approaches his 50,000th post what percentage were actually his own view ?
    Plenty! He said Farage wouldnt be in the 2015 debates, refused to bet on it, said Monty Hall was wrong, and has danced on the head of a pin about whether he is retweeting the tweets or not for starters
    Wait, you mean the Monty Hall problem?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Byronic said:
    The royal anecdotes situation has developed not necessarily to David Cameron's advantage.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?

Kwasi Kwarteng
    Of course.

Theresa May

"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once... No Deal is better than a bad deal and we will be leaving the European Union on March 29th 2019"
    Only once ??????
  • Options
    CatMan said:

isam said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeedy
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Byronic said:
    The royal anecdotes situation has developed not necessarily to David Cameron's advantage.
    It’s not impossible that your supposition approaches being adjacent to the actuality.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Byronic said:

#Priorities

There’s a piece in the drafts of the PB servers entitled ‘David Cameron: The man who saved the Tory party, then destroyed it’ which shall be published in a fortnight or so once I’ve reread his book.

History will be kinder to him than the bellends who led Leave saying No Deal was Project Fear and now champion No Deal.
    Intereaint avatar. Remember when you pretended to be a eurosceptic for years? :D
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Streeter said:

Twat.

Just about sums him up
  • Options
    isam said:

CatMan said:

isam said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeedy
    Let’s not open that door again....
  • Options
  • Options
    CatMan said:

isam said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    Can anyone on PB explain the Monty Hall problem to me? ...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I can...
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    isam said:

CatMan said:

isam said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeedy
    To be fair (from the Wikipedia article on it) "Paul Erdős, one of the most prolific mathematicians in history, remained unconvinced until he was shown a computer simulation demonstrating the predicted result"
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

#Priorities

Intereaint avatar. Remember when you pretended to be a eurosceptic for years? :D
    Eurosceptic doesn’t mean Leaver.

There’s no automaticity that being a Eurosceptic begets a Leaver.

My choice of avatar was we have snowflake Leavers that were triggered by the EU flag at the Proms, Last Night thereof.

I mean how woke do you have to be to be triggered by a flag.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

#Priorities

There were a few eyebrow raising "undecided's" on the referendum in the lead up to Dave's renegotiation

I think Betfair had them all at 1.01 Remain...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

#hypocrite
    It isn't in any way relevant to the legal question facing the court. So what if someone could have challenged Major's prorogation via the courts more than two decades ago? They didn't so it has no bearing on the case....
    On the arguments presented in court by the opponents of the government, it would not have been material in its effects on Parliament in any event.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?

Kwasi Kwarteng
    Of course.

Theresa May

Only once ??????
    Yes, I think the key casting issue there is that the original Michelle did – at least as far as I remember from watching the show – say her directives only once
    Scott_P said:

I can...
    Breaking new ground for PB
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    CatMan said:

isam said:

CatMan said:

isam said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeedy
    To be fair (from the Wikipedia article on it) "Paul Erdős, one of the most prolific mathematicians in history, remained unconvinced until he was shown a computer simulation demonstrating the predicted result"
    To be fair, it's a bit complicated for me too!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

#Priorities

Eurosceptic doesn’t mean Leaver.

There’s no automaticity that being a Eurosceptic begets a Leaver.

My choice of avatar was we have snowflake Leavers that were triggered by the EU flag at the Proms, Last Night thereof.

I mean how woke do you have to be to be triggered by a flag.
    And youre going to Belfast ??? :smiley: : )
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited September 2019
    Deleted
  • Options
    Critical LibDems are not a one horse anti Brexit party. Tories are in their 9th yr of power and Lib Dems need to have a strategy that deals with the growing inequality, cuts to services, NHS crises, School Funding crises, adult care crises, high crime etc. Johnson will try to look like a new boy with a new government but they are responsible for modern UK after years of Tory rule which relative to other Western countries is behind on social mobility, healthcare, cancer treatment, class divisions, pensions, housing issues ...

The Social Democratic part of Lib Dems needs to be pushed as Blair did with New Labour after 18 yrs of Tory rule when he united a country and was voted for by all groups from Wimbledon to Glasgow.
This discussion has been closed.