Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first full poll after Swinson’s Brexit gamble sees the LDs

Comments

• Options

https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/1174629934314196993?s=21

It’s getting worse....”Don’t abuse our politeness and don’t abuse Lady Hale’s patience”....

Oh my. I feel ill on his behalf at that. He’ll have waking nightmares about that for the rest of his life.
    It was uncomfortable to watch. Chap who came after him very good tho.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

If Scotland were to gain independence would they retain HM as the Head of State ?

I believe that is the SNP position, yes. It would be a constitutional monarchy like several other Commonwealth nations.
    I was forgetting: there were threats during indyref to make it illegal for the Queen to continue in that role for Scotland if it went independent. My memory is that theu originated in the Tory government or more probably the Tory Party - the usual suspects amongst the backbenchers.

How would it be illegal? Is it illegal in Canada or Australia?
    Well quite - the SNP should have, may have laughed that one out of court. I'd guess there is some anti-monarchist sentiment within the independence movement though so it's probably a decent political issue for unionists to focus on to try and peel off votes from the indy side.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Indeed substantially further back than the UK, let alone Israel!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

148grss said:

Byronic said:

The BBC's royal correspondent on Cameron's appalling "revelation"

"Just as the first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club, the first rule of the relationship between the prime minister and the Queen is that you never, ever talk about the relationship between the PM and the Queen.

"It is difficult to imagine anything other than horror in the Palace at David Cameron's revelations. Not just because he has broken the first rule. But because he has made it painfully clear that in 2014 he used the Queen for his own political purposes. And that she and her advisors thought that was OK."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49733588

I wonder what TSE and Nabavi think of their hero now? Cameron is a tosser and an imbecile. He is criminally negligent. Chuck him in jail.

Is this, alongside the current rigmarole, not an argument for an elected and actively political head of state? I understand that is not how things are done here, but really, it seems that the Queen may have said she was happy to be used politically in Indyref (as long as nobody admitted that was what she was doing) and she may have given the current PM the go ahead or even the idea itself of this prorogation (see Private Eye today). Obviously the monarch DOES act politically and just likes to be SEEN not to. That is much more dishonest than an elected political head of state doing what they have a mandate to do.
    It is indeed a huge boost for the republican cause. That is the measure of Cameron's calamitous, blundering arrogance.
    Which is Brexit going to destroy: the Monarchy, the Union, the Tories, the Labour party, the two-party system... or all of the above?

In any event, it's laughable that some thought Brexit would spell the beginning of the end for the EU.
    Brexit, if it ever happens, could still destroy the EU over the long term. The potential is clearly there.

But, it seems like its going to destroy things closer to home, long before that.

Quite possibly the only thing Brexit will destroy is... Brexit.
    it just occurred to me that Brexit is like the alien in Alien. We hoped to harness it and use it, but it has morphed into a danger to everyone, and it bleeds pure acid.

Now we cower on the spaceship, wondering what, or who, it will eat next.

Does that make Revoke the escape podule?
    It was only a matter of time before your next volte-face.

Welcome back!
    Sober Byronic/Sean = sensible, logical Remainer

Drunk Byronic/Sean = fuck'em all, rabid Bexiteer
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

If Scotland were to gain independence would they retain HM as the Head of State ?

I believe that is the SNP position, yes. It would be a constitutional monarchy like several other Commonwealth nations.
    I was forgetting: there were threats during indyref to make it illegal for the Queen to continue in that role for Scotland if it went independent. My memory is that theu originated in the Tory government or more probably the Tory Party - the usual suspects amongst the backbenchers.

I don't recall. I think the idea was to make it illegal for HM to be sovereign of both Scotland and rUK. It was all part of the project Fear stuff - like voting against indy being the only way to remain in the EU. But I have no idea what the current incumbent would have thought of it - and don't expect the notion came from Buckingham House.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

it just occurred to me that Brexit is like the alien in Alien. We hoped to harness it and use it, but it has morphed into a danger to everyone, and it bleeds pure acid.

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    Helga from Allo Allo apparently
    Boris Johnson as Rene, Nigel Farage as Mimi Labonq and Jeremy Corbyn as the Colonel - it could be a big hit.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    Boris Johnson as Rene, Nigel Farage as Mimi Labonq and Jeremy Corbyn as the Colonel - it could be a big hit.
    Farage would be the policeman
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Despite your hard left rant

I got as far as "hard left rant" and stopped reading. Just so you know, I talked about defending capitalism in my post. If you can't be bothered to read my contribution, please don't bother replying. For your sake as much as mine, because you look like a fool when you say things like that.
    As you should know full well by now I am a traditional Tory not a pure free market liberal capitalist
    I don't really give a fuck what you think you are. I'm telling you you look stupid when you misidentify someone as "hard left" when they're trying to defend capitalism.
    And it weakens the fight against the hard left: by lumping reasonable centrist views in with them, you sanitise their ideology. It's exactly the same mistake the hard left have long made. By making people like me out to be right wing, they make real right wingers seem more sensible than they are.
    Do you espouse such divisive views on the doorstep in Epping Hemnall @HYUFD? I feel you are probably a very different guy IRL?
    Such divisive views? It is not me using an expletive when someone expresses an opinion but I do espouse traditional conservative views yes
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

I got as far as "hard left rant" and stopped reading. Just so you know, I talked about defending capitalism in my post. If you can't be bothered to read my contribution, please don't bother replying. For your sake as much as mine, because you look like a fool when you say things like that.
    As you should know full well by now I am a traditional Tory not a pure free market liberal capitalist
    I don't really give a fuck what you think you are. I'm telling you you look stupid when you misidentify someone as "hard left" when they're trying to defend capitalism.
    And it weakens the fight against the hard left: by lumping reasonable centrist views in with them, you sanitise their ideology. It's exactly the same mistake the hard left have long made. By making people like me out to be right wing, they make real right wingers seem more sensible than they are.
    I am not a pure capitalist and never have been, I care more about conservatism than capitalism and far more voters support cutting inheritance tax than the top rate of income tax for example.

You also advocated scrapping private education too which is hard left on any definition

Someone has to stand up for the stinking rich and their inherited privilege I suppose.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited September 2019
    Pclipp:

I've said before, there must a critical mass/tipping point, at which the Lib Dem surge will go viral - as it were - as everyone realises they are credible contenders, and rushes to support them as a viable alternative to Brexit AND Corbyn.

What is that tipping point? It's got to be consistently beating Labour in polls, AND polling 25-30%, I think.

So they are not far away. And we are not far away from a huge realignment, when Labour are pushed into the shadows (where they belong) and the Lib Dems return as the main centre-left party of government and opposition,

Bring it on!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    Luciana Berger = Jones.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

I am not a pure capitalist and never have been, I care more about conservatism than capitalism and far more voters support cutting inheritance tax than the top rate of income tax for example.

You also advocated scrapping private education too which is hard left on any definition

Someone has to stand up for the stinking rich and their inherited privilege I suppose.
    The inheritance tax threshold was raised to £1 million benefiting large numbers of ordinary families while the very rich still paid it under the Tories
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Well quite - the SNP should have, may have laughed that one out of court. I'd guess there is some anti-monarchist sentiment within the independence movement though so it's probably a decent political issue for unionists to focus on to try and peel off votes from the indy side.
    It always has been, though 'decent' is perhaps too strong for anyone with any familiarity with the situation (Not meant as a criticism of your posting which is very speculative in wording_. In recent years the topic has been firmly left to the people to decide after indy (quite correctly too).
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

slade said:

Time to confess like Trudeau. I once blacked up and wore a fez. I was playing one of the Three Wise Men in a Christmas show at primary school. It was 1953.

Trudeau was also playing a genie in an Aladdin show, not a black and white minstrel.

Personally I cannot see what the fuss is about even if he has apologised
    He also admits to wearing blackface and singing the banana boat song. That's his look out, the take away is he is not what he presents himself to be. I wonder what other skeletons?
    He was singing a Harry Belafonte song in a school talent show, again I don't see what the fuss was about and why he needed to apologise really
    I agree with you. I find this new "woke" world quite bewildering. The peer pressure to conform to silly new-age conventions is very illiberal. Mills would not have approved.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    They could call it Good remoaning
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

It always has been, though 'decent' is perhaps too strong for anyone with any familiarity with the situation (Not meant as a criticism of your posting which is very speculative in wording_. In recent years the topic has been firmly left to the people to decide after indy (quite correctly too).
    I meant decent as in potentially politically advantageous, not decent decent :)
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

slade said:

Time to confess like Trudeau. I once blacked up and wore a fez. I was playing one of the Three Wise Men in a Christmas show at primary school. It was 1953.

Trudeau was also playing a genie in an Aladdin show, not a black and white minstrel.

He also admits to wearing blackface and singing the banana boat song. That's his look out, the take away is he is not what he presents himself to be. I wonder what other skeletons?
    He was singing a Harry Belafonte song in a school talent show, again I don't see what the fuss was about and why he needed to apologise really
    I agree with you. I find this new "woke" world quite bewildering. The peer pressure to conform to silly new-age conventions is very illiberal. Mills would not have approved.
    It's great when it eats it's own though
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the SNP proposal was that HMQ would do the Opening of the Scottish Parliament, etc, directly, which would be different to the position in Canada/Australia which have a Governor-General as her representative, and I believe HMG said that Scotland could have a Governor-General or become a Republic, but not have the Queen directly.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Byronic said:

Pclipp:

I've said before, there must a critical mass/tipping point, at which the Lib Dem surge will go viral - as it were - as everyone realises they are credible contenders, and rushes to support them as a viable alternative to Brexit AND Corbyn.

What is that tipping point? It's got to be consistently beating Labour in polls, AND polling 25-30%, I think.

So they are not far away. And we are not far away from a huge realignment, when Labour are pushed into the shadows (where they belong) and the Lib Dems return as the main centre-left party of government and opposition,

Bring it on!

Absolutely, Mr Byronic. And if big business decides to desert the Tories and pour in resources to back the Lib Dems, there is no knowing how far and how fast the political landscape may change in this country.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Peter Mandelson already did
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Morris_Dancer said: The super pro-Remain types are not going to vote twice for the Lib Dems, so they've lost rather than gained potential support. And if their numbers are currently rising that doesn't dispel the fact that they've put a ceiling on that support by deciding a referendum result should be ignored in favour of an electoral result, which could be won by 35% support from the electorate.

Reply:

You are quite right, Mr Dancer, when you write about individual electors and their restricted opportunities of voting twice.

However, I think you also need to take into account the business community, whose interests have been pretty well wrecked by the Conservatives`self-indulgence and short-sightedness. The investment banker community, hedge fund managers and other spivs and chances will love the uncertainty that the Conservatives have given them to gamble with the country`s future.

But while the Conservatives may be flush with donations from these chancers, the business community, who prefer certainty and stability, may well turn and take a second look at what the Lib Dems are offering. After all, the Lib Dems did give them five years of stable government during the Coalition years. And now they are being given the chance to put an end to all this Brexit nonsense, just like that.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

slade said:

Agree on that
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    Luciana Berger = Jones.
    Starmer = Ash for purely robotic reasons.

The Tory Party is obviously Kane, a gutted steaming corpse once Brexit has fully erupted from its chest.
  • Options
    Glorious royal understatement:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1174658171543150603?s=20

David Cameron is lucky they shut Traitor's Gate.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Yet again, you have a failure of comprehension. I analysed your points defending private education, pointing out that they were flat assertions and questionable. I have not delivered any conclusion about the overall merits of it other than to point out there are problems that cut against the long term economic health of this country.
    I would be interested in arguments against that, or arguments orthogonal to that, say on liberal principles. Perhaps a defence of the idea that stratification does somehow increase the quality of state schools?

But you don't seem to be up to the challenge. Perhaps because your views haven't been thought through, or perhaps you're simply lazy. "Hard left" is such an indolent way to dismiss these questions. Have a bit more courage about your ability to defend your perspective intellectually rather than using cheap and embarrassingly inaccurate slogans.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

malcolmg said:

slade said:

Photo going round on Twitter showing Jo Swinson in a SS uniform. Why?

Yoon ultras got there a long time ago.

https://twitter.com/dww_994/status/1046845138142736384?s=20
    Lovely people your unionists
    lol

I take it youve stopped reading Wings over Scotland then ?
    I only ever have the odd pop in Alan at best. Once he has his party going I will have a look.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the SNP proposal was that HMQ would do the Opening of the Scottish Parliament, etc, directly, which would be different to the position in Canada/Australia which have a Governor-General as her representative, and I believe HMG said that Scotland could have a Governor-General or become a Republic, but not have the Queen directly.
    Thank you - that may well be what I recall. It seems odd, as on dissolution of the Treaty of Union the present UK would simply revert to the 1603-1707 situation, with the union of the Crowns but not of the KIngdoms. In which case HMG would seem to have proposed to very substantially change Royal powers and prerogatives, ie by forcing HM (effectively) to abdicate much of her position in Scotland?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

That's about as furious as you can get from buck house
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

That is your unionists for you , they just cannot stop lying
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

slade said:

lol

I only ever have the odd pop in Alan at best. Once he has his party going I will have a look.
    Gods, there are actually some people who would consider voting for that guy?
    Shudder.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Yes. That's the sound of the Queen polishing the axe at the Tower.

Jesus Christ. David Cameron! How did I not realise he is THIS thick?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

He is what I believe they call a mahoosive twat
  • Options

Byronic said:

No Sir Dave then

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Never been an issue, there are republicans in most parties in Scotland.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

"Just as the first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club, the first rule of the relationship between the prime minister and the Queen is that you never, ever talk about the relationship between the PM and the Queen.

"It is difficult to imagine anything other than horror in the Palace at David Cameron's revelations. Not just because he has broken the first rule. But because he has made it painfully clear that in 2014 he used the Queen for his own political purposes. And that she and her advisors thought that was OK."

I wonder what TSE and Nabavi think of their hero now? Cameron is a tosser and an imbecile. He is criminally negligent. Chuck him in jail.

He said he didn't say anything to her but had discussions with her private secretary, about what he doesn't say although I can well believe it was along the lines of: "Q Would she? A: No." Does it say in the book explicitly that he spoke with HMQ and asked this? Because that isn't how he described it this morning.
    Oh god, you're defending him??
    Have you read the book?
    We don't have to (though I have read all the Times extracts, in their miserable witlessness). We can just watch the TV snippet:

"I don't want to say anything more about this, I'm sure some people would think, possibly even me, that I've already said a bit too much."

Yes, David, it is just possible you may have said a bit too much. Yes.
    You're right. The last thing we need is some kind of insight into what goes on in Government.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Hed make a very good PM though, you have that on his own recommendation
  • Options

Byronic said:

No Sir Dave then

He will follow in Tony and gordons footsteps of not getting a KG
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Byronic said:

Pclipp:

Bring it on!

Absolutely, Mr Byronic. And if big business decides to desert the Tories and pour in resources to back the Lib Dems, there is no knowing how far and how fast the political landscape may change in this country.
    Not for the better if it is the Lib Dems
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

slade said:

lol

I do the same, but I reckon hes getting madder by the day. Thats what living in England does for you. :-)
  • Options

Good point:

Dissolution transfers power to the electorate
    Prorogation transfers power to the executive

The other good quote from Garnier was the law that parliament passes most often is the law of unintended consequences.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    Byronic said:

Pclipp:

Bring it on!

I would like to point out that in 1983 the SDP Liberal Alliance were polling 25-26% just before the 1983 election, neck and neck with Labour, They got 25.4% of the actual votes cast. For this they were rewarded with a whopping 23 MPs.

I reckon 26% will get the LDs more seats in 2019 but it is certainly not close to the tipping point. Over 30%? Maybe.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

The inheritance tax threshold was raised to £1 million benefiting large numbers of ordinary families while the very rich still paid it under the Tories
    The Inheritance Tax threshold is still £325,000 https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax

Weren't you told this before?

I know the Tories promised to increase it to £1 million, but it doesn't look like something Cameron/Osborne implemented before they lost office, and it was something May forgot about.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

slade said:

lol

I do the same, but I reckon hes getting madder by the day. Thats what living in England does for you. :-)
    He's the Mark Francois of Scottish Independence. Utterly barking and completely unhinged.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

slade said:

lol

LOL, him and Swinson in Bath, must be in the water
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    So he DOES watch tv!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

The Inheritance Tax threshold is still £325,000 https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax

Weren't you told this before?

I know the Tories promised to increase it to £1 million, but it doesn't look like something Cameron/Osborne implemented before they lost office, and it was something May forgot about.
    It's for a Tory-approved family - married (etc) couple plus extra for leaving the house to their direct children by blood. Tough luck on aunties.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

With that and the Supreme Court’s annihilation of Mr Lavery QC, it’s been a good day for froideur.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

He said he didn't say anything to her but had discussions with her private secretary, about what he doesn't say although I can well believe it was along the lines of: "Q Would she? A: No." Does it say in the book explicitly that he spoke with HMQ and asked this? Because that isn't how he described it this morning.
    Have you read the book?
    We don't have to (though I have read all the Times extracts, in their miserable witlessness). We can just watch the TV snippet:

"I don't want to say anything more about this, I'm sure some people would think, possibly even me, that I've already said a bit too much."

You're right. The last thing we need is some kind of insight into what goes on in Government.
    Ah! So David "I'd be rather good at being prime minister" Cameron has done all this, so we can get an insight into the functioning of government?

Right? So it wasn't a desperate attempt to regain some credibility and importance with a massively misjudged revelation on a silly TV show which has now backfired catastrophically, further endangering the Union and the Monarchy, wrecking his reputation even more comprehensively, and earning the public fury of the Palace?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

slade said:

Typical cis white male
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

This guy for example.

https://twitter.com/Theuniondivvie/status/1168114350034493440?s=20
  • Options

Byronic said:

No Sir Dave then

Its going to be quite a time until we get another PM knighted they all have the seal of Royal disapproval

Swotty Theresa might have got away with it but cant until the blockage in front of her clears. Time to call Dynorod and remove three shits.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    DavidL said:

nico67 said:

Today should be like a hits compilation in the SC.

Various interventions and crucially Lord Pannick is the last speaker .

At this point I’d say its impossible to call re the lawfulness of the decision however in terms of justiciable I’d put that as a much better chance as it’s hard to see the court giving a blank check to a future PM .

Unpopular view: the barristers matter much less than most people imagine. The idea that a Supreme Court judge is going to be persuaded by oratory or skilful argument is rather hopeful. These are extremely clever people who know all the tricks and who will have been thinking very deeply about this for themselves. The barristers’ most valuable function is poking holes in their opponents’ arguments.
    I would agree with this. Also in the SC written advocacy in advance of the hearing is at least as important as oral advocacy, probably more so. In my cases there the written case took huge amounts of work and angst. My seniors spent a long time on their speech but the main purpose of standing up was so that the Justices could ask their questions arising from the written case and address their concerns. They didn't really need to hear what they had already read.
    As we lawyers all know the purpose of the advocacy is to impress the clients and make them feel that their money was well spent.

:)
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

No Sir Dave then

Its going to be quite a time until we get another PM knighted they all have the seal of Royal disapproval

Swotty Theresa might have got away with it but cant until the blockage in front of her clears. Time to call Dynorod and remove three shits.
    Even tuition fees boy got his gong
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Among us lesser mortals I suspect that amounts to “Fecking Nuclear” and “Blew a Gasket”
  • Options

Byronic said:

Among us lesser mortals I suspect that amounts to “Fecking Nuclear” and “Blew a Gasket”
    Tell that fucker hes going down!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Have you read the book?

Ah! So David "I'd be rather good at being prime minister" Cameron has done all this, so we can get an insight into the functioning of government?

Right? So it wasn't a desperate attempt to regain some credibility and importance with a massively misjudged revelation on a silly TV show which has now backfired catastrophically, further endangering the Union and the Monarchy, wrecking his reputation even more comprehensively, and earning the public fury of the Palace?

No.

Telling comment by the bloke who made the documentary on Cameron - he feared losing Scotland more than he feared Brexit. ie why wouldn't you try to enlist the services of the Queen to try to keep her Kingdom together?
  • Options
    Can Nabavi and TSE please come back and defend their hero Cameron? Topping's heart really isn't in it.

We want some bloodsport.
  • Options
    Cameron must rank as one of the most arrogant Prime Ministers we've ever had.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed substantially further back than the UK, let alone Israel!
    May be those feet did walk upon ....
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

slade said:

Yes holding individuals account for their actions, super illiberal...

It isn't that there was a bygone era where nobody knew better because there are always people who know that the racism or bigotry or other oppression is wrong; the oppressed. To use the argument "it was the past, it was worse then" is not a get out of jail free card.
  • Options
    Sir Boris Johnson KG said there was still no details on the whereabouts of citizen Dave
  • Options
    Anagrams of David Cameron

some seem strangely apt

http://www.anagramgenius.com/archive/david-cameron.html
  • Options

Cameron must rank as one of the most arrogant Prime Ministers we've ever had.

He gets worse with the passage of time. Like Tony
  • Options
    148grss said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

slade said:

Yes holding individuals account for their actions, super illiberal...

It isn't that there was a bygone era where nobody knew better because there are always people who know that the racism or bigotry or other oppression is wrong; the oppressed. To use the argument "it was the past, it was worse then" is not a get out of jail free card.
    It was also the millennium, not some distant vaudeville theatre in the days of empire
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

"It is K."

Have you read the book?

No.

Telling comment by the bloke who made the documentary on Cameron - he feared losing Scotland more than he feared Brexit. ie why wouldn't you try to enlist the services of the Queen to try to keep her Kingdom together?
    And why exactly would you talk about it? Why would you break a fundamental rule of our Constitutional Monarchy, that prime ministerial communications with the sovereign remain utterly secret?

Why did Dave Cameron do that? Because he's a chateau bottled, copper fastened, top of the range KNOBBER.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Actually if boz did lie to HMQ could him and Dave be the new princes in the tower?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

You are anything but a traditional Tory. You are an unquestioning cult follower of a man totally unsuitable to be PM who has supported an English nationalist policy that is anti-business and economy wrecking. You are just a very simple right winger who is far more UKIP/BNP than Traditional Tory, who uses pathetic and childish epithets as though they are insults in exactly the same way as extremists always have throughout the ages.
    I am more of a Tory than you given you are basically a free market liberal not a traditional conservative who for a time used the Tories as the best vehicle to keep Labour out and have now returned to your natural home in the Liberal Democrats
    You really are a plonker of the first order. "I am more of a Tory than you..." FFS, Have you just stepped out of playground? No wonder the Conservative Party is going to hell in a handcart if you are representative (which you probably are) of the type of people that support it. Utterly pathetic.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

And why exactly would you talk about it? Why would you break a fundamental rule of our Constitutional Monarchy, that prime ministerial communications with the sovereign remain utterly secret?

Why did Dave Cameron do that? Because he's a chateau bottled, copper fastened, top of the range KNOBBER.

Yes he possibly shouldn't have mentioned it. But as I suspected (and I have now listened to the recording of him) it was PS to PS. It's entirely possible that he believed that as it was one step removed from HMQ and he was rebuffed, that it added some harmless colour to his story. Had it been accepted then I'm sure nothing more would have been said about it.

It was their private secretaries. Plenty of stuff gets passed over the desk of the Royals' households without the Royals ever knowing about it.
  • Options
    The Palace REALLY isn't happy. This is quite serious, and supremely bad for what remains of Cameron's reputation.

"The source told the BBC that "it serves no one's interests" for conversations between the PM and the Queen to be made public .

"It makes it very hard for the relationship to thrive," they added."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49756756

Cameron's aristocratic wife, the daughter of Reggie Sheffield, 8th Baronet, will surely thump him with a rolling pin this evening.
  • Options

Actually if boz did lie to HMQ could him and Dave be the new princes in the tower?

Probably too clunkingly obvious, but ponces surely?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

The Palace REALLY isn't happy. This is quite serious, and supremely bad for what remains of Cameron's reputation.

"The source told the BBC that "it serves no one's interests" for conversations between the PM and the Queen to be made public .

Cameron's aristocratic wife, the daughter of Reggie Sheffield, 8th Baronet, will surely thump him with a rolling pin this evening.

Nah. It was the Queen's household, not the Queen. This is just spin but I perfectly understand if most people are unable to distinguish between the two. You especially.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_P said:
    Jolyon Maugham thinks his own side is winning? Well blow me down.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Byronic said:

Cameron won't give a fuck. He doesn't have BJ's pathological need to be liked. He'll trouser the book money, move on to his next venture and be serenely untroubled.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Nah. It was the Queen's household, not the Queen. This is just spin but I perfectly understand if most people are unable to distinguish between the two. You especially.
    So you know more about the palace and the Queen, than.... the spokesmen for the Queen, at the palace? Righty-ho. Keep taking the anti-psychotics.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

I think his book is probabaly quite dull - he needs it to sell - join the dots.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Byronic said:

Cameron has a reputation to damage?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

This guy for example.

Weren't the Reverend of Bath and Craig Murray Lib Dems prior to the coalition era? I guess people can change their minds on constitutional matters.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Jolyon Maugham thinks his own side is winning? Well blow me down.
    foolish for anyone to get ahead of themselves, on either side or in the press. Let's just wait and see.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Scott_P said:
    Scott's crap tweets number 1,264,597
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

Cameron won't give a fuck. He doesn't have BJ's pathological need to be liked. He'll trouser the book money, move on to his next venture and be serenely untroubled.
    I think you're absolutely wrong. Cameron is an old fashioned pragmatic Tory (a singularly dim one, as it turns out, but that's not the point here). He loves his country and his monarch.

My guess is he will be cringing right now, and deeply troubled by what he's done. And the public dressing down from his Queen will be bitter.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

I think you're absolutely wrong. Cameron is an old fashioned pragmatic Tory (a singularly dim one, as it turns out, but that's not the point here). He loves his country and his monarch.

My guess is he will be cringing right now, and deeply troubled by what he's done. And the public dressing down from his Queen will be bitter.
    He's screwed himself over just to sell a book. Does he need the money? Could he have waited a few more years? Ludicrous man and not the first time his judgement has failed him.
  • Options
    Have m'luds examined Major over his own experience of proroging parliament yet ?

• Options
    eristdoof said:

Byronic said:

Pclipp:

Bring it on!

I would like to point out that in 1983 the SDP Liberal Alliance were polling 25-26% just before the 1983 election, neck and neck with Labour, They got 25.4% of the actual votes cast. For this they were rewarded with a whopping 23 MPs.

I reckon 26% will get the LDs more seats in 2019 but it is certainly not close to the tipping point. Over 30%? Maybe.
    The thing about tipping points is that there is a sudden change. With three and maybe two half parties it's difficult to work out where that may be. It certainly won't be linear.
    The same is true of Climate Change, if we get to a tipping point where there's a positive feedback loop we are all in big trouble.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

So you know more about the palace and the Queen, than.... the spokesmen for the Queen, at the palace? Righty-ho. Keep taking the anti-psychotics.
    The Queen's spokesman, eh?

LOL
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

Scott_P said:

Byronic said:

Is Jo Swinson, Ripley?
    Who plays the part of the sexy French waitress Yvette?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

Thank you - that may well be what I recall. It seems odd, as on dissolution of the Treaty of Union the present UK would simply revert to the 1603-1707 situation, with the union of the Crowns but not of the KIngdoms. In which case HMG would seem to have proposed to very substantially change Royal powers and prerogatives, ie by forcing HM (effectively) to abdicate much of her position in Scotland?
    There is the precedent of the Irish Free State, which had a Governor-General after Independence, despite Ireland previously being a separate realm. The difference there being that the Irish didn't particularly want to retain the monarch.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    As Scott approaches his 50,000th post what percentage were actually his own view ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

Sir Boris Johnson KG said there was still no details on the whereabouts of citizen Dave

‘were’ no details.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

If you recall I believe you may have been comparing him to Gordon Brown at the time.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

nico67 said:

Today should be like a hits compilation in the SC.

Various interventions and crucially Lord Pannick is the last speaker .

At this point I’d say its impossible to call re the lawfulness of the decision however in terms of justiciable I’d put that as a much better chance as it’s hard to see the court giving a blank check to a future PM .

Unpopular view: the barristers matter much less than most people imagine. The idea that a Supreme Court judge is going to be persuaded by oratory or skilful argument is rather hopeful. These are extremely clever people who know all the tricks and who will have been thinking very deeply about this for themselves. The barristers’ most valuable function is poking holes in their opponents’ arguments.
    I would agree with this. Also in the SC written advocacy in advance of the hearing is at least as important as oral advocacy, probably more so. In my cases there the written case took huge amounts of work and angst. My seniors spent a long time on their speech but the main purpose of standing up was so that the Justices could ask their questions arising from the written case and address their concerns. They didn't really need to hear what they had already read.
    As we lawyers all know the purpose of the advocacy is to impress the clients and make them feel that their money was well spent.

:)
    So a clever and thorough barrister who is slow to respond and mumbles with a lisp, should be good value!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Dura_Ace said:

Byronic said:

No he won't.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Pulpstar said:

Have m'luds examined Major over his own experience of proroging parliament yet ?

It doesn't look like Major is actually going to take the stand? :(
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited September 2019
    Interesting that the Palace has the time and the inclination to express the Queen’s displeasure about David Cameron’s comments but doesn’t have the inclination nor the time to condemn Randy Andy for hanging around with a convicted nonce.

We all know which is worse.

#Priorities
  • Options

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    As Scott approaches his 50,000th post what percentage were actually his own view ?
    I don't understand the point of Scott P's posts. By all means put forward partisan views on politics but how can anyone spend 18 hours a day digging up random tweets and just sticking them on the forum? It's a waste of a life and I feel a bit sorry for him.

Having said that he does help confirm my pre existing views about twitter!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

This guy for example.

Weren't the Reverend of Bath and Craig Murray Lib Dems prior to the coalition era? I guess people can change their minds on constitutional matters.
    Nether of them as yet elected to any public office on policies diametrically opposed to ones previously supported by them (I have no idea what changes have occurred in their constitutional views).

In the changing mind stakes, switching from 'If you want democracy, down with crown' to SCon MSP fawning over HMQ, the Union & The Rangers is at the outer extremes of Damascene turns.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited September 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

It doesn't look like Major is actually going to take the stand? :(
    There are no stands to take in Supreme Court hearings.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Brom said:

I feel a bit sorry for him.

Aw, bless...
  • Options

Interesting that the Palace has the time and the inclination to express the Queen’s displeasure about David Cameron’s comments but doesn’t have the inclination nor the time to condemn Randy Andy for hanging around with a convicted nonce.

We all know which is worse.

#Priorities

lol

I take it that means you dont want to discuss Dave making a tit of himself
This discussion has been closed.