Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first full poll after Swinson’s Brexit gamble sees the LDs

Comments

• Options
    Mr. 43, Labour's policy is the result of tension between the anti-EU leadership tendencies and the pro-EU sentiment of almost everyone else.

However, I do agree with you that it's actually the closest thing to a compromise, unity position that might achieve a lasting resolution (certainly over the short term).

A No Deal departure *might* deliver that, either by concession we're out and that's it or eventually rejoining, but it'd be far bumpier.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    GIN1138 said:

One thing I'm hearing a LOT is people saying they want Brexit resolved 'one way or the other.' I wonder if that tallies with others on here?

Sort of: lots of my friends and neighbours are saying that. But they're also saying they won't vote Labour or Tory: not directly because of Brexit, but because both parties have become thoroughly unBritish.

Corbyn's illiberality certainly threw away the advantage Labour should have got from the Tories' ideological mess over Europe. But Johnson's mendacity, extraordinary unfitness for any elected office, loutishness, incoherence - and probable mental illness - have thrown away the advantage true Conservatism should have got from a hopeless Trot like Corbyn.

Though a proud LD member, I have to concede that the Tory/Labour determination to make themselves unelectable is doing far more for us than anything Swinson's doing, or that Davey would have done.

And while there's some evidence the Brexit saga might sort itself out soonish, there's no indication at all the Labour or pseudo-Tory parties are doing anything to regain the trust of British voters. Even when they summon up the courage to junk Corbyn and Johnson, it'll be years before the complicity of the rest of their parties is forgotten

• Options

Dont think this NI guy is impressing their honours

There should be a poll at the end to decide who was the top barrister.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Trudeau. Lol. I think by the millennium we knew the black and white minstrels were racist bucko. I wonder if he put on a funny accent too, the naughty little noodle.
    I love it when these super woke pricks turn out to be full of wind and piss

His apology seems to show that at the time he was in a pre-woke state of unaware ness. A bit like Harry was. Some personal moral growth is a good thing surely?
    Apparently he sang Day-O, while in that blackface. Really

Which somewhat puts it over the line.
    That was an earlier fox paz

BAN PRIVATE SCHOOLS AND STOP THEIR ALUMNI RUNNING COUNTRIES!!!

https://twitter.com/cbcpolitics/status/1174536164952432640?s=21
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the Lib Dems have a defection surprise lined up on day one of the Labour conference?

I say so purely speculatively - but it would certainly be opportune timing for a crossover narrative.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Think of the VAT revenue this is costing the govt. Legalise now.

https://twitter.com/dannyshawbbc/status/1174607611121025025?s=21

Any views on a minimum price, or would that cripple the nascent crack house and opium den sector?
    Minimum pricing does raise revenue - but doesn’t improve health.

https://twitter.com/iealondon/status/1174603793461403648?s=21
    The sage pontificates on medical matters today , now an expert on both drugs and alcohol , mixing and matching VAT and company revenues as he goes
  • Options

Mr. Foremain, prior to the policy shift from referendum to revocation via Parliament, the Lib Dems had pretty much the whole Remain playground to themselves.

Moving away from a referendum to a revocation means they lose soft Remainers and those who think that, just perhaps, a sustainable position is better than one that deepens already entrenched division and bitterness. The principle that a General Election can override a referendum result (itself endorsed by Parliament) is certainly grist to the SNP mill.

The super pro-Remain types are not going to vote twice for the Lib Dems, so they've lost rather than gained potential support. And if their numbers are currently rising that doesn't dispel the fact that they've put a ceiling on that support by deciding a referendum result should be ignored in favour of an electoral result, which could be won by 35% support from the electorate.

On top of that, winning a referendum is likely far easier for Remain than getting a Lib Dem majority. So they've put off soft Remain and uncertain floating voters for a purity policy unlikely to ever be delivered, and done so by abandoning a more sensible approach that was far more achievable. Oh, and they broke their nascent 'Remain alliance'.

It's a triumph of ideology over pragmatism.

A good reasoned argument, though it will not stop me lending my vote to the LDs. Your last statement is also a very good summation of Brexit itself of course!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Any views on a minimum price, or would that cripple the nascent crack house and opium den sector?

It also massively increases smuggling and fakes.
    I believe it is entirely the wrong thing. The massive rises in the cost of tobacco and cigarettes, while not exactly the same thing, has resulted (anecdote alert) in nobody I know where I live buying from shops. All the tobacco people buy is either smuggled or fakes.
    This, apart from the obvious health issue, funnels more money to gangsters.
    Education is the only way. Otherwise you are encouraging and empowering criminals.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

If he had a pseudonymous twitter handle, something like @leftydad, and LauraK had identified him by his legal name, then that would be different.

All she did was share his tweet.

FWIW, I think the abuse directed at both her and the dad/activist is abhorrent.
    Has abuse been directed at the father - beyond pointing out his political affiliation?
    The fact he is a labour activist or whatever is irrelevant, he was there due to his 7 day old daughter being gravely ill. He was not thinking oh good chance to get one in for labour here when he saw Johnson. He just thought you lying git in here for a photo op with shedloads of cameras and surrounded by toadying medical staff when his daughter had little to no staff for medical care. All the big buffoon could say is where are the press????????
    Typical Tories trying to smear the little guy
    Or just a storm in several teacups.
    Nigel, the country has gone to the dogs, it is full of snowflakes and jessieboys (jessiepersions for the PC brigade ).
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

You want to legalise smack to raise revenue, so what's your problem?
    Current approaches including prohibition of drugs and minimum pricing for alcohol aren’t working - Scotland no exception.

Trying it again and again is crazy.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Minimum pricing only raises revenues for the producers and retailers, the effect on tax revenue is negligible.

On the topic of the report. Almost any study into health effects due to changes in environment (eg. price of alcohol) is going to take a long time to show up as you cant do randomised trials. Human biology is very complex
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    eristdoof said:

Selebian said:

eristdoof said:

If he had a pseudonymous twitter handle, something like @leftydad, and LauraK had identified him by his legal name, then that would be different.

Is "pseudonymous" a word? It is quite a clever Portmanteu.
    I do research with hospital records, which are pseudonymised - not entirely anonymous as it's important to be able to link e.g. separate hospitalisations for the same person, but with a random set of letters/numbers rather than NHS number or name (for obvious reasons!).

(You also need to convince the data providers that you really need everything you ask for, have the security arrangements for holding the data vetted, verifiably destroy the data once the research is done and obey rules on what detail of results you can publish).
    Interesting, thank you, but it is a different usage to the social media pseudonym meant here.

The "pseudonymised" hospital records you are talking about are really just a Unique-ID designed to be difficult for a human to interpret.
    Yep, I went off on a bit of a tangent... I meant to show that it is indeed a word and that our use of it in research comes from that word (rather than 'unique ID', which is also a valid way of putting it. Pseudonymous/pseudonymised are just easier ways of saying that.

Would have been more useful to just link to a dictionary:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pseudonymous
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    edited September 2019
    https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/1174629934314196993?s=21

It’s getting worse....”Don’t abuse our politeness and don’t abuse Lady Hale’s patience”....
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    NI guy just got smacked down big time
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

I'm wondering if the Lib Dems have a defection surprise lined up on day one of the Labour conference?

I say so purely speculatively - but it would certainly be opportune timing for a crossover narrative.
    Expect one at some point in each of their conferences but not hazarding any guesses as to whom.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

One thing I'm hearing a LOT is people saying they want Brexit resolved 'one way or the other.' I wonder if that tallies with others on here?

In my view that sets up the General Election as Conservatives & BXP vs LibDems, Green & the Nats.

Labour's dithering, for whatever reasons whether sound or pure politicking is bombing. I'm not sure many people really DO want another referendum. I think they want the country to make a clear choice now: either we leave (preferably with a deal) or we remain in the EU.

So what does a "Diehard Remainer" do in a Con/Lab constituency where the LDs are in a distant 3rd place? There are a lot of such constituencies.
    Still vote with you conscience, or for whom as a candidate most reflects your views. If they are both careerist suckups it makes your choice harder
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Current approaches including prohibition of drugs and minimum pricing for alcohol aren’t working - Scotland no exception.

Agreed.

I can’t believe I just said that.
  • Options
    'Dont abuse the patience of her ladyship'
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718

FF43 said:

In my view that sets up the General Election as Conservatives & BXP vs LibDems, Green & the Nats.

Labour's dithering, for whatever reasons whether sound or pure politicking is bombing. I'm not sure many people really DO want another referendum. I think they want the country to make a clear choice now: either we leave (preferably with a deal) or we remain in the EU.

I'm not sure people do want resolution, or if they do they are not thinking it through. Resolution comes through consensus being reached. Only Labour are trying to reach consensus and they are not being rewarded for it.
    To be fair, the people who "just want to get on with it" think that changing the facts on the ground is a quicker way to reach consensus. Of course the same applies for revoking Article 50. Perhaps after revocation, Brexit will not be a subject anyone wants to talk about.
    To me, it's not whether you revoke. It's how you do it. I'm OK with people deciding that Brexit is problematic; no-one has come up with a minimally acceptable way of leaving. So let's delay Brexit indefinitely until we work out how we can do it properly.

Would people go along with this, in order to get some kind of consensus and closure? Right now I suspect not.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Another horrendous blunder by Cameron, which has apparently gone unnoticed. The flailing idiot has told everyone he asked the Queen to intervene in Sindyref.

What the F is he thinking? How idiotic is that? Not content with destroying himself, and the country, he now wants to destroy the monarchy.

The worst prime minister ever. The Palace must be incandescent with anger.
  • Options

Mr. Foremain, prior to the policy shift from referendum to revocation via Parliament, the Lib Dems had pretty much the whole Remain playground to themselves.

Moving away from a referendum to a revocation means they lose soft Remainers and those who think that, just perhaps, a sustainable position is better than one that deepens already entrenched division and bitterness. The principle that a General Election can override a referendum result (itself endorsed by Parliament) is certainly grist to the SNP mill.

The super pro-Remain types are not going to vote twice for the Lib Dems, so they've lost rather than gained potential support. And if their numbers are currently rising that doesn't dispel the fact that they've put a ceiling on that support by deciding a referendum result should be ignored in favour of an electoral result, which could be won by 35% support from the electorate.

On top of that, winning a referendum is likely far easier for Remain than getting a Lib Dem majority. So they've put off soft Remain and uncertain floating voters for a purity policy unlikely to ever be delivered, and done so by abandoning a more sensible approach that was far more achievable. Oh, and they broke their nascent 'Remain alliance'.

It's a triumph of ideology over pragmatism.

A good reasoned argument, though it will not stop me lending my vote to the LDs. Your last statement is also a very good summation of Brexit itself of course!
    To paraphrase Mr Dancer, you would have probably lent the LDs your vote anyway, but you can't vote for them twice in the same election.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Agreed.

I can’t believe I just said that.
    Who gets the extra revenue from MUP? See that it’s already been answered up thread.
  • Options

True, although much depends on how far the message is got across that the Johnson/Farage line does NOT "resolve Brexit one way or another". No deal is merely the absence of a deal - and it means continuing to negotiate for a deal from the outside and with a backdrop of economic effects and problems in the supply of certain foods and medicines. I think a lot of people wrongly think it's a ticket to move on.
    Yep, I think a lot of people see it as an end point and it's sold that way with 'clean Brexit' and the like. It would be anything but.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Minimum pricing only raises revenues for the producers and retailers, the effect on tax revenue is negligible.

On the topic of the report. Almost any study into health effects due to changes in environment (eg. price of alcohol) is going to take a long time to show up as you cant do randomised trials. Human biology is very complex
    Come on Harry is an expert. It happened in Scotland and was by the SNP, therefore it is very very bad and will never work
  • Options

True, although much depends on how far the message is got across that the Johnson/Farage line does NOT "resolve Brexit one way or another". No deal is merely the absence of a deal - and it means continuing to negotiate for a deal from the outside and with a backdrop of economic effects and problems in the supply of certain foods and medicines. I think a lot of people wrongly think it's a ticket to move on.
    Yes, this is a dog that has hardly barked so far. If you are so sick of Brexit that you never want to hear the word again, revoke is your only choice. The other options will certainly not 'get it over with'.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Good point by the justices here:

But one of the judges says the effects of how the UK leaves the EU are "completely irrelevant to the legal questions" they are faced with in the case.

If only our representatives in parliament were as adroit at seperating out different issues as these fine legal minds.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I was generally in favour of legalisation... until I saw, on a recent trip, the ravages of the opioid plague in America.

It should give anyone pause for thought. Opioids are basically drugs, legalised. And we can see what they do.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Byronic said:

Another horrendous blunder by Cameron, which has apparently gone unnoticed. The flailing idiot has told everyone he asked the Queen to intervene in Sindyref.

What the F is he thinking? How idiotic is that? Not content with destroying himself, and the country, he now wants to destroy the monarchy.

we noticed

if only hed called his memoirs STFU
  • Options
    The Welsh guy is a bit feisty
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Byronic said:

He'a a complete and utter waste of space.

God knows what we've done to deserve this run of PMs in the past 30 years:

Major > Blair > Brown > Cameron > May
  • Options
    Byronic said:

My opinion too. Just truly awful. The sense of entitlement and arrogance is staggering. Mr. Osborne was as bad.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Yes, this is a dog that has hardly barked so far. If you are so sick of Brexit that you never want to hear the word again, revoke is your only choice. The other options will certainly not 'get it over with'.
    Yes, if we revoke, the like of Farage, Banks, half the Conservative party, and millions of others who voted to Leave will just forget about it I guess, especially seeing as the opposition accepted defeat with such good grace and little fuss when Leave won
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

eristdoof said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Come on Harry is an expert. It happened in Scotland and was by the SNP, therefore it is very very bad and will never work
    Shrugs - spending on drinking hasn’t dropped due to price increase. Ignore if you want.
  • Options

Byronic said:

we noticed

The most idiotic aspect of this is that he now realises he shouldn't have put that in his memoirs. As he said on Today, this morning:

"I don't want to say anything more about this, I'm sure some people would think, possibly even me, that I've already said a bit too much."

David Cameron, age six and a half.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I was generally in favour of legalisation... until I saw, on a recent trip, the ravages of the opioid plague in America.

It should give anyone pause for thought. Opioids are basically drugs, legalised. And we can see what they do.
    Why not tax murder while we are at it?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

We agree that decriminalisation is the way forward. I'll push against that fairly open door with the SNP, you do the same with the vastly stiffer hinges of the Cons, SCons, TBP, the Boris party etc. Unfortunately only one tranche of pols has the power to do anything about it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

You missed out Johnson
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    On minimum alcohol pricing, isn't it amazing how doctors will say one thing, while a think tank who won't disclose whether they are funded by drinks industry, says another?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fewer-deaths-after-minimum-alcohol-pricing-glasgow-doctors-say-0p0cjf93l
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

What do you propose we do about it? Criminalization is not a solution. Addicts will use regardless of the law.
  • Options

Byronic said:

My opinion too. Just truly awful. The sense of entitlement and arrogance is staggering. Mr. Osborne was as bad.

Yes, I absolutely despise them. I would say I hate them, but they're not worth the energy.

The worst thing about them is that they have the magic combination of arrogance and entitlement (as you say) AND THUNDERING STUPIDITY.

There is no limit to the damage you can do with that mindset.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

You missed out Johnson
    Knew someone would say that.

I like to give people a fair crack at the whip and he hasn't been in long enough for me to form a judement either way. ;)
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes, if we revoke, the like of Farage, Banks, half the Conservative party, and millions of others who voted to Leave will just forget about it I guess, especially seeing as the opposition accepted defeat with such good grace and little fuss when Leave won
    Apart from those worried sick about having to declare their off shore investment income the majority I think would be glad it was over and the politicians can get on and do useful things.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited September 2019
    edit: replied to wrong post
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

We voted them in because we have total control of who we vote for and can vote them out any time. The EU never stopped us.

Brexit is just a con job.
  • Options
    Off topic, just won a decent order that would have gone to our parent co but for the US-China trade war !

& That's why despite the fact that the remain side has turned into an absolubte left wing cringe-fest I'd probably still vote to remain in the EU in another referendum.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

That's true, re time to see effects (and even if effects happened within a year, it will take time for good data to be generated and analysed).

On the 'no decline in sales' is there any information on how that was measured? I couldn't find any from a very quick search/look on the IEA website. If value of sales (the normal way of measuring these things, perhaps inflation adjusted?) then it would imply a fall in units of alcohol sold (as unit price increased for some products). If units of alcohol sold then fair enough, but are the data really collected at that level? If number of items sold, has the product mix changed, have any of the formulations changed to alter alcohol content, have the bottle sizes changed?

I've no real opinion either way on minimum alcohol pricing as I don't think there's evidence yet on its effects, but I'm interested to see what, if any, effect it has.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Hopefully we wouldn't have GPs here whooring out product for the pharma multinationals in the case of decriminalisation.
  • Options

As an aside, I saw the Andrew Neil show yesterday, for the first time.

Thought it rather good to see two politicians savaged through the cruel medium of rational questioning.

Slight shame it's only once a week, but there we are.

I maintain the Lib Dem policy is a huge strategic mistake.

Please explain? There are 48% of people who voted against Brexit. There is a probable higher number who now think it is a mistake. A large number of these would like to give those responsible for promoting it a kicking, or at least withdraw support from them.

The LibDem opponents will try and make out it to be antidemocratic. But how could it be? We know the chances of them forming a majority govt are tiny, but if there were such an earthquake, it would be a very very clear mandate as no one can doubt the policy (unlike Labour's). I think it will work well for them. The policy is very unlikely to be implemented. I will vote for them as they are in the "sensible middle"even though I think us remaining in Europe is no longer practicable or desirable
    The problem is that the LDs have made themselves a single issue party. If they manage to stop Brexit then they will have outlived their usefulness (see UKIP). If Brexit happens then they can continue as a vehicle for rejoin but this will be a lot harder (particularly if we somehow leave with a deal).

They have also completely alienated Brexit voters (some who previously voted for them in places like Torbay)

I doubt that is true. Remain and Leave are very much part of a much wider culture war - and that will not end post-Brexit. It is likely to intensify. Both the LDs and the Tories have recognised this. Labour is the odd one out and still believes class is the defining factor in how people vote.

That is certainly a possibility but equally things might calm down. The question is what other issue could cause a continuing cultural divide. Things like abortion and gay marriage are generally accepted by the right, while many on the left support at least some form of immigration controls.

I would argue that the continuing cultural divide in the US is partly caused by the plurality of cable TV news e.g. Fox vs. MSNBC
  • Options

eristdoof said:

So what does a "Diehard Remainer" do in a Con/Lab constituency where the LDs are in a distant 3rd place? There are a lot of such constituencies.
    Still vote with you conscience, or for whom as a candidate most reflects your views. If they are both careerist suckups it makes your choice harder
    You use the word "You" so I'll explain my case. I will still vote Labour, becase my MP is one of the Labour MPs who voted against Article 50 and has consistently been arguing that Brexit is bad. I definitely do not want a Conservative MP to be returned.

The reason for Remainers to vote Labour in most other Con/Lab constituencies will not be so easy to justify.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

What do you propose we do about it? Criminalization is not a solution. Addicts will use regardless of the law.
    There are three basic approaches to drug law. Legalisation (or variations thereof), criminalisation with attempts at rehab (which we do now). The third approach, which we have never tried, is absolute prohibition on pain of death (the East Asian model)

The only one proven to work is the last. There is virtually no drug abuse in Singapore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/singapore-is-winning-the-war-on-drugs-heres-how/2018/03/11/b8c25278-22e9-11e8-946c-9420060cb7bd_story.html

Bring back the noose?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The secret is legalizing different drugs in different ways. Opioids are like heroin and should be legalized via government sanctioned shoot up galleries, where you have addicts in one place and they can be transitioned to gradually lower doses and targeted with therapy. Portgual has done this and it works very successfully.
  • Options
    The trend is pretty consistent with what the YouGov poll is saying, given that the last IPSOS poll was in July and changes are measured from that point as opposed to last week.
  • Options

Yes, we are over three years in and nowhere near a conclusion on the Brexit track.

That's what's been grossly understated in the discourse -neither a reheated May deal nor a Johnson No Deal is anywhere near the end of the process on future relationship.

The nearest to Swinson's "Just Don't Do It" as a route to closure is, in fairness, something like the tortured emerging Corbyn position of soft Brexit and referendum, but even that has pitfalls and has several months to run after a General Election.
  • Options
    The pilot stuck on the power line - how do they get him down ?

I assume they'll have to turn the power lines off then rescue him. Would he still carry charge though ?

• Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

The trend is pretty consistent with what the YouGov poll is saying, given that the last IPSOS poll was in July and changes are measured from that point as opposed to last week.
    If you follow 538 you will hear much discussion against momentum and short term trends. I do think people forget that when GEs turn up people's minds change. Squeezing occurs. And also media coverage is different.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

FWIW, I think the abuse directed at both her and the dad/activist is abhorrent.
    Has abuse been directed at the father - beyond pointing out his political affiliation?
    The fact he is a labour activist or whatever is irrelevant, he was there due to his 7 day old daughter being gravely ill. He was not thinking oh good chance to get one in for labour here when he saw Johnson. He just thought you lying git in here for a photo op with shedloads of cameras and surrounded by toadying medical staff when his daughter had little to no staff for medical care. All the big buffoon could say is where are the press????????
    Typical Tories trying to smear the little guy
    Tories punch down. Always have done, always will. It's in the nature of the ideology. It's all about hierarchy.
    The saddest thing of all is that whenever you raise structural issues (which is the core of their ideology, structure above all), they defend it with reference to individuals. Thus the monarchy is too often defended on the grounds that the queen is nice and, say, Tony Blair is not.
    There are some noble and notable exceptions -- a couple on here to be sure -- who take the structural arguments head on, but they are the good-faith good guys in a stinking tide of partisans who want nothing more than legitimacy for their contempt of people "below" them.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

There are three basic approaches to drug law. Legalisation (or variations thereof), criminalisation with attempts at rehab (which we do now). The third approach, which we have never tried, is absolute prohibition on pain of death (the East Asian model)

The only one proven to work is the last. There is virtually no drug abuse in Singapore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/singapore-is-winning-the-war-on-drugs-heres-how/2018/03/11/b8c25278-22e9-11e8-946c-9420060cb7bd_story.html

Bring back the noose?
    First they came for the drug addicts, and I did not speak out - Because I was not a drug addict.

Mr Byronic, do you ever partake in that drug called alcohol?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

we noticed

The most idiotic aspect of this is that he now realises he shouldn't have put that in his memoirs. As he said on Today, this morning:

"I don't want to say anything more about this, I'm sure some people would think, possibly even me, that I've already said a bit too much."

All helps sales.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    edited September 2019

We voted them in because we have total control of who we vote for and can vote them out any time. The EU never stopped us.

"We" have anything but total control. Parliament controls that. And against his wishes it decided that we shouldn't have an opportunity to choose whether we wanted Johnson to continue.

PS. The EU was very happy for them to stop us.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I assume they'll have to turn the power lines off then rescue him. Would he still carry charge though ?

Powerlines are AC
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Noo said:

Tories punch down. Always have done, always will. It's in the nature of the ideology. It's all about hierarchy.
    The saddest thing of all is that whenever you raise structural issues (which is the core of their ideology, structure above all), they defend it with reference to individuals. Thus the monarchy is too often defended on the grounds that the queen is nice and, say, Tony Blair is not.
    There are some noble and notable exceptions -- a couple on here to be sure -- who take the structural arguments head on, but they are the good-faith good guys in a stinking tide of partisans who want nothing more than legitimacy for their contempt of people "below" them.

Surely the most salient point to emerge from Kuenssbergtwittergate is BJ's reaction. His first, instinctive reaction to any emergent situation is just to tell a blatant lie.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Byronic said:

Bring back the noose?

First they came for the drug addicts, and I did not speak out - Because I was not a drug addict.

Easily fixed. The noose for bottles under £10. Knighthoods and Peerages for £10,000 bottles of plonk

:D
  • Options
    The BBC's royal correspondent on Cameron's appalling "revelation"

"Just as the first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club, the first rule of the relationship between the prime minister and the Queen is that you never, ever talk about the relationship between the PM and the Queen.

"It is difficult to imagine anything other than horror in the Palace at David Cameron's revelations. Not just because he has broken the first rule. But because he has made it painfully clear that in 2014 he used the Queen for his own political purposes. And that she and her advisors thought that was OK."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49733588

I wonder what TSE and Nabavi think of their hero now? Cameron is a tosser and an imbecile. He is criminally negligent. Chuck him in jail.
  • Options

The Welsh guy is a bit feisty

Certainly livelier than the NI chap
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Not that bad.

Major was the best of them. Blair was good if you forget Iraq. Brown was terrible but was very good during the banking crisis. Cameron was good if you forget the Referendum. May tried hard.

How much do you want? We voted for these people. If you want better governement, vote for PR.

No, thought not.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Yes, but they're both conference-specific, and we should no more draw strategic conclusions from that than we should if Labour or Tories get a bounce in the next 2 weeks. The fact that so much else is going on as well makes it really hard to separate durable trends from temporary bounces.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Electricity doesn't really work like that. In normal circuits, components don't gain or lose electrons. The energy transfer comes from the flow of electrons. The voltage is a bit like the pressure. Remove the pressure and there's no flow. The person will still have all the same electrons, but can be safely be brought down. He's still got the same number of electrons he had before, but with nothing pushing them to flow through him the only thing he has to worry about is the height.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    148grss said:

If you follow 538 you will hear much discussion against momentum and short term trends. I do think people forget that when GEs turn up people's minds change. Squeezing occurs. And also media coverage is different.
    The Lib Dems are much more like a Liz Warren (Though with lesser chance of winning than she has - a GE UK audience is much much less overall swingy than a Dem nomination electorate) than a Kamala Harris though. The betting markets were buying into Harris momentum before she'd had ANY sort of movement upwards. By contrast the Lib Dem swing upward has been steadily going on for a while now, and like Warren they have the ground troops to potentially sustain it.
    Meanwhile everyone hates the Tories and Biden but they're both definitely ahead in their respective races...
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Bring back the noose?
    A quick swatch of Wiki shows Iran with the highest percentage of opiate users. Bloody Ayatollahs with their softly softly approach to drug dealing.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Bring back the noose?

A few years ago Warwick University were negotiating to open a branch in Singapore until someone pointed out that they could end up losing a few undergrads on the gallows. The milksop VC backed away....
  • Options
    Byronic said:

"Just as the first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club, the first rule of the relationship between the prime minister and the Queen is that you never, ever talk about the relationship between the PM and the Queen.

"It is difficult to imagine anything other than horror in the Palace at David Cameron's revelations. Not just because he has broken the first rule. But because he has made it painfully clear that in 2014 he used the Queen for his own political purposes. And that she and her advisors thought that was OK."

I wonder what TSE and Nabavi think of their hero now? Cameron is a tosser and an imbecile. He is criminally negligent. Chuck him in jail.

Private Eye are saying Brenda was central to the idea to prorogue - the method of doing so cooked up a week earlier in a call between her and Boris. No guarantee brexit ends well for the monarchy.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

isam said:

Apart from those worried sick about having to declare offshore investment income
    Don't they have to already?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

we noticed

All helps sales.
    You know he's giving the profits from the book to some charity? So he hasn't even benefited materially from this debacle, and at the same time he has made everyone in Britain hate him, left or right, Leave or Remain. He is also hated by the Royal Family. His reputation is now worse than Blair's, or it will go there.

It was sooooo much better, for him and for us, when he was silent. He should have stayed in his shepherd's hut. Now he has come out and publicly poured an enormous bucket of manure over his own head.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Noo said:

Surely the most salient point to emerge from Kuenssbergtwittergate is BJ's reaction. His first, instinctive reaction to any emergent situation is just to tell a blatant lie.
    Salience is a point of view. I think that's an important point. But it's not the only one.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Byronic said:

Is this, alongside the current rigmarole, not an argument for an elected and actively political head of state? I understand that is not how things are done here, but really, it seems that the Queen may have said she was happy to be used politically in Indyref (as long as nobody admitted that was what she was doing) and she may have given the current PM the go ahead or even the idea itself of this prorogation (see Private Eye today). Obviously the monarch DOES act politically and just likes to be SEEN not to. That is much more dishonest than an elected political head of state doing what they have a mandate to do.
  • Options
    I think Cameron's revelation about the Queen is a colossal breach of trust. Anyone with half a brain can work out she'd instinctively be a strong unionist anyway.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The smoking Ban in Public spaces sets up an interesting and established precedent for allowing use of socially unacceptable substances in limited places. Thus certain places could be deemed acceptable for drug use.

Banning drugs is a waste of time, as the last 40 years has amply illustrated. Use has grown, quality of drugs is inconsistent, it funds and underclass of users, it generates crime in excess such as criminality through enforced prostitution, gang culture, violence, murder, money laundering. There are no controls, it is a burden to the Police, NHS, Courts, Social Services and benefits system.

Where are the advantages in banning drugs as opposed to the legalised sale combined with regulations controlling the places they can be used?

Reduce crime, health dangers, criminality on many levels, free up Police time make society safer and raise some tax.
  • Options
    148grss said:

A trend since late July seems to me to represent a medium term trend, albeit one I think reflecting a recent short term event. I think your point is though that we don't know whether Swinson's recent boost will continue, and indeed I suspect it will dissipate a bit in time. However, I think the readiness of Greens to apparently switch to the Libs as opposed to Labour is interesting, because up to now there had been an assumption from some that only Labour could benefit if their vote was squeezed.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Not that bad.

Major was the best of them. Blair was good if you forget Iraq. Brown was terrible but was very good during the banking crisis. Cameron was good if you forget the Referendum. May tried hard.

How much do you want? We voted for these people. If you want better governement, vote for PR.

No, thought not.
    PR is beginning to look good in the current climate. I have to say that, looking back, John Major looks like a political titan.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Byronic said:

He said he didn't say anything to her but had discussions with her private secretary, about what he doesn't say although I can well believe it was along the lines of: "Q Would she? A: No." Does it say in the book explicitly that he spoke with HMQ and asked this? Because that isn't how he described it this morning.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

we noticed

All helps sales.
    It was sooooo much better, for him and for us, when he was silent.
    “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt” was Denis Thatcher’s motto.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Byronic said:

Is this, alongside the current rigmarole, not an argument for an elected and actively political head of state? I understand that is not how things are done here, but really, it seems that the Queen may have said she was happy to be used politically in Indyref (as long as nobody admitted that was what she was doing) and she may have given the current PM the go ahead or even the idea itself of this prorogation (see Private Eye today). Obviously the monarch DOES act politically and just likes to be SEEN not to. That is much more dishonest than an elected political head of state doing what they have a mandate to do.
    It is indeed a huge boost for the republican cause. That is the measure of Cameron's calamitous, blundering arrogance.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Byronic said:

Hypocrisy is in the UK constitutional DNA. Fair play to Cameron for admitting it, however inadvertently.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

He said he didn't say anything to her but had discussions with her private secretary, about what he doesn't say although I can well believe it was along the lines of: "Q Would she? A: No." Does it say in the book explicitly that he spoke with HMQ and asked this? Because that isn't how he described it this morning.
    Oh god, you're defending him??
  • Options
    edited September 2019

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Not that bad.

No, thought not.
    Major - was a total waste of time lurching from one disaster after another. Obssesed with tying us to the ERM and throwing millions of home owners to wolves when it went tits up. Finished up taking the Tories down to the worst defeat since 1832.

Blair - self-absorbed and obsessed with messing about with the British constituation in ways we're still dealing with now, loved bombing the total crap out of impovrished nation and lying about the reasons. Lost complete control of our borders and argueably sowed the seeds for Brexit.

Brown - where to start with him?

Cameron - like Blair only even more reckless, self-absorbed and with an even bigger sense of self-entitelement. Seems to enjoy betraying the Queens confidence which none of the other roll call of shame have done as bas as they all are.

May - same as Brown where to start with her?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Ah! I'd been wondering, in all this talk of HMtQ being a mere figurehead for Mr Johnson and other PMs, and how she never ever ever made any actual intervention, when someone would mention her coded, but by all accounts very real, intervention in the Scottish indyref at a rather shaky time for the Unionists.

Just for the record: I'm still keeping an open mind on the issue of whether HM has any actual role in terms of emergency intervention. Either she does, or she does not, and if not, why do we have her?
  • Options

Byronic said:

Private Eye are saying Brenda was central to the idea to prorogue - the method of doing so cooked up a week earlier
    Anyone but Downing Street.
  • Options

Yes, but they're both conference-specific, and we should no more draw strategic conclusions from that than we should if Labour or Tories get a bounce in the next 2 weeks. The fact that so much else is going on as well makes it really hard to separate durable trends from temporary bounces.
    Indeed, but see my 12.01 response to the same point from 148grss re the implications of the Green vote squeeze being towards the Libs not Lab.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

eristdoof said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Shrugs - spending on drinking hasn’t dropped due to price increase. Ignore if you want.
    Harry, I did not say I agree with it but I could not say it is not working , time will tell on that. I am not convinced it impacts me as I never drink cheap rubbish with high alcohol content just to get drunk. It can surely only be a benefit of some kind if it stops the stuff like Lightning Jack being sold in 3 litre bottles to sad souls.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Not that bad.

No, thought not.
    PR is beginning to look good in the current climate. I have to say that, looking back, John Major looks like a political titan.
    Cronus ?

ate his own childrten - obviously a Tory
  • Options
    philiph said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The smoking Ban in Public spaces sets up an interesting and established precedent for allowing use of socially unacceptable substances in limited places. Thus certain places could be deemed acceptable for drug use.

Banning drugs is a waste of time, as the last 40 years has amply illustrated. Use has grown, quality of drugs is inconsistent, it funds and underclass of users, it generates crime in excess such as criminality through enforced prostitution, gang culture, violence, murder, money laundering. There are no controls, it is a burden to the Police, NHS, Courts, Social Services and benefits system.

Where are the advantages in banning drugs as opposed to the legalised sale combined with regulations controlling the places they can be used?

Reduce crime, health dangers, criminality on many levels, free up Police time make society safer and raise some tax.
    I agree.
    It should be noted the troubling opioid epidemic in the USA is largely to do with a misperception on the part of doctors and patients that these drugs were safe. It's a failure of the commercialised approach to healthcare. Were doctors and patients better informed -- as they are now becoming -- they would have been more leery of prescribing and accepting prescriptions of these drugs.

Legalising drugs is not the same as legitimising them. Tobacco is a good case study here, since it's legal but highly regulated, with government information and programs to help wean people off it. That, to me, feels like the sensible approach.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

Byronic said:

Private Eye are saying Brenda was central to the idea to prorogue - the method of doing so cooked up a week earlier
    Anyone but Downing Street.
    Sorry, being dim - could you please amplify?
  • Options
    Mr. Doof, that doesn't address the point that super pro-EU types can't back the Lib Dems twice, and softer pro-EU types may very well be put off.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

I've checked. It's not in the memoirs, he makes the appalling revelation in a TV documentary.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2019/sep/19/david-cameron-asked-queen-to-raise-eyebrow-during-scottish-independence-referendum-video

He doesn't say he buttonholed the Queen in the pub and they had a chinwag about fixing Scotland. He comes far far closer to that than you'd expect, or than anyone of us would want. Why? Why admit this? Why break the basic and cardinal rule of British politics?

Stupid Man.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Who are these 14% who think Brexit is going "well"? I'd like to share their drinks trolley.
This discussion has been closed.