Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Johnson is to fight a successful election campaign he needs

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

This was a set up by a Labour activist, ignore

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1174314704589807616?s=20

It is not possible for him to have arranged for his daughter to be seriously ill on the same date and time that Boris turned up on a publicity visit that he couldn't possibly have known about in advance.

Your conclusion is obviously gibberish and speaks poorly of you.
    It is possible for his daughter to be ill, coincidentally find out that the PM is visiting the same hospital then for partisan reasons take the opportunity to ambush him which has presented itself before you though.
    Poor Boris can't deal with:

1) Parliament
    2) Rebels in his own Party
    3) Luxembourg Prime Ministers
    4) Members of the public in hospitals
    He can, he dealt with the ideological agendas of all of them with calm and determination
    No, he dealt with them by shutting 1 down, by expelling 2 thus destroying his majority but without securing an election, by running away and hiding from 3, and by lying to 4.
  • Options

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

It is not possible for him to have arranged for his daughter to be seriously ill on the same date and time that Boris turned up on a publicity visit that he couldn't possibly have known about in advance.

It is possible for his daughter to be ill, coincidentally find out that the PM is visiting the same hospital then for partisan reasons take the opportunity to ambush him which has presented itself before you though.
    The father had a genuine reason to be in the hospital; Boris was there for publicity...

https://twitter.com/OmarSalem/status/1174301286692532224?s=20
    Unless you want a privatised healthcare system and the government to take a totally hands-off approach to healthcare then publicity is a genuine reason for politicians to go to visit hospitals.

Is that what you want? Will you condemn MPs of all parties for visiting hospitals? Do you want to take politics, and thus taxes, out of the NHS?

Think carefully about what you're saying.
    Did he need a press crew?
    Yes.

Is it unprecedented for press crews to follow politicians around hospitals?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I honestly find that repugnant. Is the man’s daughter ill? Is she receiving treatment? How the f*** is that a set up then?

It is of course ridiculous to hold the PM responsible for an alleged shortage of staff on a particular ward. It is equally appalling to use sick kids as some sort of prop to show how you “care”. Pretending it’s not a PR stunt when it so obviously is is pretty contemptible. Politicians who play with fire occasionally get burnt. It goes with the territory.
    Thousands of parents have kids in hospital everyday, most of them spend their time with their kids not going on ideological rants against the prime minister to push a political agenda just as he happens to be visiting
    The reason why "most of them spend their time with their kids not going on ideological rants against the prime minister to push a political agenda just as he happens to be visiting" is because he is not visiting the hospital at the same time as them

I realise you are an adherent of Boris but surely you must realise that the scenario you have outlined is simply not possible.
    This guy was a Labour activist with an agenda, I notice no other parents of patients bothered to leave their kids bedside to rant with the PM
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and I would hope that if I held strong views and was presented with that opportunity I would have the galls to do it.
    Exactly. I’m not a raging Corbynista but if I was in hospital, in a highly emotional state, and in walks the PM, I’d probably berate him too.
    Well you are certainly anti Tory
    So is around 65% of the population. What’s your point?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    geoffw said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I honestly find that repugnant. Is the man’s daughter ill? Is she receiving treatment? How the f*** is that a set up then?

It is of course ridiculous to hold the PM responsible for an alleged shortage of staff on a particular ward. It is equally appalling to use sick kids as some sort of prop to show how you “care”. Pretending it’s not a PR stunt when it so obviously is is pretty contemptible. Politicians who play with fire occasionally get burnt. It goes with the territory.
    Thousands of parents have kids in hospital everyday, most of them spend their time with their kids not going on ideological rants against the prime minister to push a political agenda just as he happens to be visiting
    Just happens. Lol.

All politicians do it. It’s one of the reasons that the whole class is beneath contempt. They are sub human. All of them.
    tut tut. Not like you.
    You’re right. But I think that it would be wrong to suggest that this car crash was just Boris. All politicians do the same. They seek to use the suffering of others to make themselves look better. I’m sick of it and I’m sick of people pretending that it’s somehow ok. It really isn’t.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited September 2019

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

The father had a genuine reason to be in the hospital; Boris was there for publicity...

The funniest thing about that pic is the hospital exec in the background - he has the fixed slight-smile of a man who realises his dream semi-retirement as chairman of a rural CCG has just gone the same way as the last session of parliament.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

His kid is clearly poorly and it's not really on to have a go at him personally for having a moan to the PM, even if it's wholly misdirected in the circumstances. The PM has to just take that sort of thing in his stride, make nice noises about record NHS spending and tell him his thoughts are with them. News editor runs a tried and tested story called Minister Looks A Tit, nobody actually cares. Docs and nurses go back to tending the sick, No10 thanks them for their hard work in public statement.

The idea that Salem's criticism of the PM is less valid because he's an opposition activist has some small merit, but that shouldn't extend to being actively shitty towards the chap.

100% agreed.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,837

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

It is not actually possible for him to know about it beforehand, though. So @HYUFD 's use of the word "setup" was unjustified.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

The reason why "most of them spend their time with their kids not going on ideological rants against the prime minister to push a political agenda just as he happens to be visiting" is because he is not visiting the hospital at the same time as them

I realise you are an adherent of Boris but surely you must realise that the scenario you have outlined is simply not possible.
    This guy was a Labour activist with an agenda, I notice no other parents of patients bothered to leave their kids bedside to rant with the PM
    Man with history of political activism has the confidence to tell public figure their opinion?

Other News at 10.

Seriously mate. Get a grip. This is pathetic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I notice you've still not answered the question about whether the PM is lying in the clip OGH has posted? You know, when he denies it's a press event over the noise of cameras snapping away?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Unless you want a privatised healthcare system and the government to take a totally hands-off approach to healthcare then publicity is a genuine reason for politicians to go to visit hospitals.

Is that what you want? Will you condemn MPs of all parties for visiting hospitals? Do you want to take politics, and thus taxes, out of the NHS?

Think carefully about what you're saying.
    Did he need a press crew?
    Yes.

Is it unprecedented for press crews to follow politicians around hospitals?
    No, but when the guy they are following denies that they are there it does sort of make an interesting point ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited September 2019

DavidL said:

On education there are 8 state secondary schools in Dundee and 1 private. The private school, year after year, gets more passes of science subjects at higher than the other 8 put together. It gets a higher proportion of A passes than any of the other schools get passes. It teaches subjects, like economics, that are not available in any of the state schools.

The disgrace is not that the private school gets some tax relief. The disgrace is that generations of children in state schools are being failed and only the private school shows what is possible. Why do we accept such levels of performance? Why is this ok?
    What are we going to do about it?

Hmmm. You don't think it's anything to do with the spend per pupil?

Average uk private spend per secondary pupil per year = £14,466, state spend = £6,200.
    The private school wonga is going on fancy sports centres and so forth; I went to one in the 80s/90s when the spending/fees were more in line with current state school expenditure

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2016/05/11/13/feesnew.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70

I know more money can always help but £6,200 per pupil per year should be able to achieve a decently high level of education.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yeah but at least there's no chaos . . .
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    edited September 2019
    This hospital business (along with all his other public meetings) does suggest that while this wont affect Johnson at the moment (in that all his supporters will do what HYUFD is doing and rally behind him), during an election campaign he is going to be terrible.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

The line from No. 10 has been unexpectedly dignified. That doesn't give Johnson a hospital pass for the stupidest lie since the Titanic was advertised as unsinkable, but at least it showed some sense.

The line from Tory activists has been disgusting. They really are reminding me of Corbynistas and not in a good way.
    Tory activists are now going to fight Corbynistas round for round, stunts like these will not go unanswered
    Assuming the Labour guy did set a tasteless trap....
    HOW??? How in the name of all that is holy did we end up discussing the ramifications of a trap that the supposed perpetrator could not possibly have perpetrated?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

1) Parliament
    5) Members of the public on the streets of Rotherham, Doncaster and Morley
    6) Staged stump speeches in front of the police...

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/09/18/if-johnson-is-to-fight-a-successful-election-campaign-he-needs-to-cope-with-situations-like-this-better/
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    It was only a few weeks ago that OGH asked us to lay off HY as we were ganging up on him somewhat but he does seem to have brought down this latest wave of criticism entirely on his own. Time for bed as they used to say in the magic roundabout
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    BJT said:

Seems to me that allowing your child to get sick and spend a night in hospital on the off chance the PM comes in with cameras would be quite a high risk set-up.

If true, NICE ONE.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

The line from No. 10 has been unexpectedly dignified. That doesn't give Johnson a hospital pass for the stupidest lie since the Titanic was advertised as unsinkable, but at least it showed some sense.

The line from Tory activists has been disgusting. They really are reminding me of Corbynistas and not in a good way.
    Tory activists are now going to fight Corbynistas round for round, stunts like these will not go unanswered
    That is where Jezza has his edge. He is used to protests and hostile heckling and dealt with it with aplomb over the years. He is good with this face to face stuff.

BoZo has got used to well lubricated after dinner speeches in tame environments. He is not good at this stuff, as we saw in his Yorkshire and Scottish stuff last week. He will run a May like campaign, hiding from the public in front of handpicked supporters.

Denying this was a press event is just absurd!

We had that Matt Hancock in the back of my hospital last week...
  • Options

DavidL said:

On education there are 8 state secondary schools in Dundee and 1 private. The private school, year after year, gets more passes of science subjects at higher than the other 8 put together. It gets a higher proportion of A passes than any of the other schools get passes. It teaches subjects, like economics, that are not available in any of the state schools.

The disgrace is not that the private school gets some tax relief. The disgrace is that generations of children in state schools are being failed and only the private school shows what is possible. Why do we accept such levels of performance? Why is this ok?

Average uk private spend per secondary pupil per year = £14,466, state spend = £6,200.
    DHS is thankfully a bit less than the average but not much. Yes spending is a part of the problem although economies of scale should reduce the differential somewhat. But as @ydoethur says, it is only a part of the problem. Our state schools are dominated by producer interests. We tolerate failure far too readily and for far too long.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

It is not actually possible for him to know about it beforehand, though. So @HYUFD 's use of the word "setup" was unjustified.

Its possible for him to find out the PM is there and seek him out to confront him for partisan reasons. Is that a setup?
  • Options

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

The funniest thing about that pic is the hospital exec in the background - he has the fixed slight-smile of a man who realises his dream semi-retirement as chairman of a rural CCG has just gone the same way as the last session of parliament.
    I just want to know what Simon Coveney was doing there.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

It was only a few weeks ago that OGH asked us to lay off HY as we were ganging up on him somewhat but he does seem to have brought down this latest wave of criticism entirely on his own. Time for bed as they used to say in the magic roundabout

Do I care? No, if it winds up the left all the better
  • Options
    Drutt said:

His kid is clearly poorly and it's not really on to have a go at him personally for having a moan to the PM, even if it's wholly misdirected in the circumstances. The PM has to just take that sort of thing in his stride, make nice noises about record NHS spending and tell him his thoughts are with them. News editor runs a tried and tested story called Minister Looks A Tit, nobody actually cares. Docs and nurses go back to tending the sick, No10 thanks them for their hard work in public statement.

The idea that Salem's criticism of the PM is less valid because he's an opposition activist has some small merit, but that shouldn't extend to being actively shitty towards the chap.

I think the man's behaviour was, and continues to be, apalling. I only hope his daughter was completely out of the woods before he decided to use her as a political football.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The PB Boris Groupies are tying themselves in knots over the PM's catastrophic hospital visit. Unlike, the Downing Street operation who have made the best of a bad job and conceded that the father had a perfect right to speak his mind, Corbyn groupie or not.

A more fluent politician than Boris would have tried to calm the situation, albeit with difficulty. Instead Boris looks directly at the camera and press (arranged by Downing Street on a pool basis) and utters "what press?"

I'm minded to thing that Cummings general election strategy will be "Lock Him Up" .... that is of course if the Supreme Court hasn't done it first .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited September 2019
    nichomar said:

DavidL said:

Have been asking that for years but I don’t see academies and free schools as the solution.
    I should imagine the state school funding per pupil in Dundee is, what, 25pc of the private one. It's unrealistic to think the state schools will close that performance gap significantly just by freeing them from the clutches of the town hall or performance-managing a few Trots out of the staff room.

(Indeed, a key driver for me bailing as the chair of a reasonably successful state primary was the virtual dismantling of the local education authority which provided useful challenge and support. The Cummings/Gove dogma in tackling poor inner-city LAs by binning them all was one of the low points of the coalition for me. And all about centralising control rather than devolving.)
  • Options
    CatMan said:

This hospital business (along with all his other public meetings) does suggest that while this wont affect Johnson at the moment (in that all his supporters will do what HYUFD is doing and rally behind him), during an election campaign he is going to be terrible.

Not at all, Boris kept his cool throughout the rants from a fanatical Corbynista
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Assuming the Labour guy did set a tasteless trap....
    HOW??? How in the name of all that is holy did we end up discussing the ramifications of a trap that the supposed perpetrator could not possibly have perpetrated?
    Because the alternative is that Boris is a bit crap at campaigning.

However, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

The private school wonga is going on fancy sports centres and so forth; I went to one in the 90s when the spending/fees were in line with current state school expenditure

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2016/05/11/13/feesnew.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70

I know more money can always help but £6,200 per pupil per year should be able to achieve a decently high level of education.
    Stating the bleeding obvious here but... £6,200 per pupil doesn't mean that your little darling is getting £6,200 spent on them. Most probably the troubled kid in the class is getting £25,000 spent on them (price up the extra TA cover and management time, and that might be an understatement) and your kid is fighting for the scraps with the rest of the class.

The good parts of the state sector are extraordinarily efficient and most of the private sector is... well, I hesitate to say inefficient, but profligate. But they get around it not just because £14k gives them the headroom, but because selection (by income and by entrance exam) means they don't have to spend vast amounts on troubled kids.

A lot of state school teachers end up sending their kids to private schools. It's not a coincidence.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That is where Jezza has his edge. He is used to protests and hostile heckling and dealt with it with aplomb over the years. He is good with this face to face stuff.

BoZo has got used to well lubricated after dinner speeches in tame environments. He is not good at this stuff, as we saw in his Yorkshire and Scottish stuff last week. He will run a May like campaign, hiding from the public in front of handpicked supporters.

Jezza has had plenty of dodgy moments when confronted, especially by hostile journalists. Plenty of times when he looks just about ready to explode.

Where he is good is on a stage doing his back to the 70s greatest hits which he has been practising for 40 years.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

No it was entirely justified this was a Labour activist with an agenda seeking a stunt
  • Options

Drutt said:

I think the man's behaviour was, and continues to be, apalling. I only hope his daughter was completely out of the woods before he decided to use her as a political football.
    Oh so anyone who uses something of great personal importance as a motivator or catalyst for political passion is playing “political football”?

Step out of your partisan command centre FFS. This is ridiculous.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

DavidL said:

Have been asking that for years but I don’t see academies and free schools as the solution.

The monolithic structure of the state in Scotland has not worked. From what I see from afar Academies and free schools bring innovation, energy and their own sort of problems. There is no silver bullet but what we are currently doing is not working and has very serious economic implications.
  • Options

Drutt said:

In what sense has he used her as a political football?
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Its possible for him to find out the PM is there and seek him out to confront him for partisan reasons. Is that a setup?
    No. Do you actually know what the word "setup" means?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Man with history of political activism has the confidence to tell public figure their opinion?

Other News at 10.

Man with history of Labour activism seeks a political stunt.

It is you being pathetic ignoring it
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Blair handled it a lot better when a lady who's husband was been treated for cancer was really upset .
    Cameron would also have handled it better, due to his experience of been in NHS hospitals, with his severely disabled son.
    It does not matter how much money you have , when you have severely disabled children , as only the state , can provide the special needs care, education in this country.
    I should know as we have a severely disabled granddaughter.
    Money helps with housing , and specialised transport.

Boris' mother has had a history of mental health problems and been admitted to psychiatric hospitals, he has had problems in his family with their health just like the rest of us
    I did not know that.
    However my main point was that Cameron had a lot of experience of NHS hospitals due to his severely disabled son.Where only the state can provide the care required.
    In other areas of health if you can afford it you can go private.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2019

twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1174415346561945601

#10 PR team better than under the Maybot.

This is the right way to deal with it, rather than the Bad Al find dirt on the bastard, crush them.

As I said on the previous thread, I don't think it hurts politicians when the public go "piss lady" on them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

No he isn't AT ALL.

All Corbyn's events are packed with diehard supporters of the Messiah
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

Hey, nice new avatar @HYUFD!

I assume it's an allusion to your party leader's campaigning abilities?
  • Options

This is the right way to deal with it, rather than the Bad Al find dirt on the bastard, crush them.
    Indeed, the tweet shows he and his team know criticising the father will ultimately damage Boris Johnson.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

It seems to have been assigned by the Mods
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

The private school wonga is going on fancy sports centres and so forth; I went to one in the 80s/90s when the spending/fees were more in line with current state school expenditure

I would have thought that the bulk of private schools' budget is spent on staffing costs not all their fancy theatres, rugby pitches, Olympic swimming pools etc. The money pays for smaller class sizes. Let's double our spending per head in the state sector, reduce class sizes, increase teacher retention, have better sports and drama facilities and see whether it has no effect.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

No it was entirely justified this was a Labour activist with an agenda seeking a stunt
    You describing the attributes of the man does not contradict my point that he could not possibly have done what you are accusing him of.
  • Options

nichomar said:

DavidL said:

I should imagine the state school funding per pupil in Dundee is, what, 25pc of the private one. It's unrealistic to think the state schools will close that performance gap significantly just by freeing them from the clutches of the town hall or performance-managing a few Trots out of the staff room.

(Indeed, a key driver for me bailing as the chair of a reasonably successful state primary was the virtual dismantling of the local education authority which provided useful challenge and support. The Cummings/Gove dogma in tackling poor inner-city LAs by binning them all was one of the low points of the coalition for me. And all about centralising control rather than devolving.)
    It’s actually more like 2/3 rather than 25% but there is a difference. @El_Capitano also makes a very valid point that that 2/3 will disproportionately be spent on those with additional needs rather than mainstream classrooms.

More money is needed but so are better attitudes and aspirations.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

The private school wonga is going on fancy sports centres and so forth; I went to one in the 90s when the spending/fees were in line with current state school expenditure

Stating the bleeding obvious here but... £6,200 per pupil doesn't mean that your little darling is getting £6,200 spent on them. Most probably the troubled kid in the class is getting £25,000 spent on them (price up the extra TA cover and management time, and that might be an understatement) and your kid is fighting for the scraps with the rest of the class.

The good parts of the state sector are extraordinarily efficient and most of the private sector is... well, I hesitate to say inefficient, but profligate. But they get around it not just because £14k gives them the headroom, but because selection (by income and by entrance exam) means they don't have to spend vast amounts on troubled kids.

A lot of state school teachers end up sending their kids to private schools. It's not a coincidence.
    I struggle to see how most state school teachers could afford to send their kids to private schools, given state school teacher salaries.
  • Options

As I said on the previous thread, I don't think it hurts politicians when the public go "piss lady" on them.
    Boris fucked up with the press, err "mis-speak" but the rest of it was fine. It's really small beer compared to say a Brownite "bigoted woman" fuck up. Anyway he's set the bar pretty low so he can only surprise on the upside.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

Ooh Trumpian!

Nice new donkey avatar btw.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

It is possible for him to have stayed by his daughter's bedside like most normal parents would not leave it to go on an ideological rant and I make no apologies whatsoever for saying so
    You accused him of a setup. It is not possible for him to have set this up.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Poor Boris. He visited a hospital only to find his reputation in the ICU.
    Perhaps an emergency Dominectomy?
  • Options

That’s an excellent response in fairness.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Boris fucked up with the press, err "mis-speak" but the rest of it was fine. It's really small beer compared to say a Brownite "bigoted woman" fuck up. Anyway he's set the bar pretty low so he can only surprise on the upside.
    I wasn't saying Boris was good, I was saying the #10 PR team are better. Both previous team and current had/have their work cut out polishing a turd.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DHS is thankfully a bit less than the average but not much. Yes spending is a part of the problem although economies of scale should reduce the differential somewhat. But as @ydoethur says, it is only a part of the problem. Our state schools are dominated by producer interests. We tolerate failure far too readily and for far too long.
    The day our comprehensive school beat Dundee High in a Latin recitation competition was a sweet one. Money can't buy you everything.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

1) Parliament
    He can, he dealt with the ideological agendas of all of them with calm and determination
    Just stop, everyone's laughing at you.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

Really! Well that's a poor show to be honest.

Mods - that's really not on - you should let @HYUFD choose his own avatar.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

However, if it looks like a lame duck, swims like a lame duck, and quacks like a lame duck, then it probably is a lame duck.

Fixed that for you
  • Options
    Why are you lowering yourself to this @HYUFD . The tories are ahead in the polls, you should be sitting back, sipping the Rioja.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

Err seconded.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The day our comprehensive school beat Dundee High in a Latin recitation competition was a sweet one. Money can't buy you everything.
    Placetne tibi?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

"HYUFD's a fountain of misplaced rage. Name your cliché; Mother held him too much or not enough, last picked at kickball, late night sneaky uncle, whatever. Now he's so angry that moments of levity actually cause him pain; give him headaches. Happiness, for that gentleman, hurts."
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Are we to imply that the new @HYUFD avatar might herald a note of self reflection on the part of Boris's Chief PB Cheerleader?

Does @HYUFD now concede that he's made a total ass of himself or that he's got the brains of a donkey. Probably not. Or perhaps it is that @HYUFD is off to Jerusalem on the back of the donkey as the new messiah for his much loved Benjamin Netanyahu.

Nah .... @HYUFD is just a naughty boy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

Agreed, though it would be nicely ironic if chosen by HYUFD.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

"HYUFD's a fountain of misplaced rage. Name your cliché; Mother held him too much or not enough, last picked at kickball, late night sneaky uncle, whatever. Now he's so angry that moments of levity actually cause him pain; give him headaches. Happiness, for that gentleman, hurts."
    Every time you use a quote Sunil, I never have a fecking clue where it's from or what it's supposed to imply.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

1) Parliament
    Philip Thompson and LuckyGuy certainly aren't even if it is mainly the left on tonight
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

Indeed but it is not a major issue
  • Options
    Drutt said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Placetne tibi?
    I've forgotten it all now, mind!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

It's a Democrat Party avatar, isn't it? :lol:
  • Options

Why are you lowering yourself to this @HYUFD . The tories are ahead in the polls, you should be sitting back, sipping the Rioja.

They are ahead but not by enough to win a Tory majority in most yet
  • Options

I struggle to see how most state school teachers could afford to send their kids to private schools, given state school teacher salaries.

State school teachers aren't necessarily married to other state school teachers!

(And even then... a head, or deputy in a sizeable school, will typically earn enough to send a kid to non-elite private schools.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

1) Parliament
    Philip Thompson and LuckyGuy certainly aren't even if it is mainly the left on tonight
    Nor am I.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    My view of the chap that confronted Boris is that he would have been far more successful if he had made his point in a polite and focused manner.

If he had of approached Boris and said "I see you are here with the CEO of the hospital and i have been telling him that the ward where my daughter is being treated is under staffed. Can you PM raised this with him and try to get it fixed."

I think the public would support this approach, but I think the public are just sick o the ping pong attacks that solve nothing.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Are we to imply that the new @HYUFD avatar might herald a note of self reflection on the part of Boris's Chief PB Cheerleader?

Does @HYUFD now concede that he's made a total ass of himself or that he's got the brains of a donkey. Probably not. Or perhaps it is that @HYUFD is off to Jerusalem on the back of the donkey as the new messiah for his much loved Benjamin Netanyahu.

Nah .... @HYUFD is just a naughty boy.

None of the above (although I was in Jerusalem in February)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

Every time you use a quote Sunil, I never have a fecking clue where it's from or what it's supposed to imply.
    You could just Google, say, "Now he's so angry that moments of levity" :)
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

1) Parliament
    Are you a Democrat?

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-is-the-democratic-party-symbol.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    In fairness Hampstead has a 15k Lab majority now and was heavily remain so a complete no hoper seat
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

Having read through this thread, you've been a total bell-end this evening.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

Can I just say that that is the funniest thing I have ever read on this site.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,011
    I haven’t been able to choose my own avatar since the days when the likes of The Last Boy Scout roamed these thar hills
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:
    In fairness Hampstead has a 15k Lab majority now and was heavily remain so a complete no hoper seat
    But with a split remain perhaps not such a no-hoper.
  • Options

Drutt said:

No it wasn't. His "You've destroyed the NHS" point was dreadfully weak when he's standing in a state of the art NHS hospital that's just saved his infant daughter, but it's by no means unconscionable to have a pop at a PM doing the rounds. That's part and parcel of the top job.
    Surely here we're able to engage with the arguments rather than their adherents?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    An interesting case study this one. The guys political persuasion and who he worked for are not really the issue although clearly someone as politically active as him will not be swayed by anything a Tory PM might say so it is to be expected that when the opportunity presented itself he let rip.The press no press thing is decidedly weird but other than that I'm not sure theres anything else anyone could or should have done. You dont remonstrate with the father of a sick child, you listen and let him have his say. The hospital has explained the reason for the staffing issues the night before but the really important thing is that, as he pointed out, his little girl nearly died but a and e were excellent and she thankfully survived and I think he said is in a better state today. The NHS did its job, and the PM has learned first hand about the frustration and anger that dealing with the NHS can bring to people in stressful situations.
    Strip away the flim and flam and positive things can be drawn from encounters like this. However it will all be used to portray a narrative by the press and thus utterly devalued.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

No. That's various things, but all of them would be spontaneous and reactive. A setup would require preplanning. You could accuse him of improvisation or having an agenda, but not a setup.
  • Options

I haven’t been able to choose my own avatar since the days when the likes of The Last Boy Scout roamed these thar hills

Really? If I go into my profile I still get the 'change picture' option over my avatar.

(But I'm sticking with the current one until Brexit is cancelled)
  • Options

Drutt said:

Oh so anyone who uses something of great personal importance as a motivator or catalyst for political passion is playing “political football”?

Step out of your partisan command centre FFS. This is ridiculous.
    Um, no. I'm saying that's what happened here. This man is a political activist. He inhabits ScottP's silly Twitter world of memes, gotcha moments etc. He was fully aware that he was creating a social media 'event', and that was his intention. To suggest otherwise is utterly fatuous.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    Drutt said:

Not really that. It's the idea that the Johnson's victim "happy parent" turned out to be a Labour activist was REALLY UNFAIR to poor old Johnson who just happened to be passing through the hospital to have a friendly chat with patients and staff about the wonderful Conservative health policies that will no doubt feature in an upcoming election. The people recording these private chats on cameras marked BBC, Sky News weren't anything to do with Johnson and weren't press or TV crews at all. But it was an AMBUSH because hospitals aren't meant to have Labour activists with very ill children when Johnson calls.

On the other hand, the prime minister telling barefaced lies to this parent on camera is of no import whatever.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited September 2019

My view of the chap that confronted Boris is that he would have been far more successful if he had made his point in a polite and focused manner.

If he had of approached Boris and said "I see you are here with the CEO of the hospital and i have been telling him that the ward where my daughter is being treated is under staffed. Can you PM raised this with him and try to get it fixed."

I think the public would support this approach, but I think the public are just sick o the ping pong attacks that solve nothing.

PM get's lectured shock! TM did not seem to get them but I can remember many of the incidents from Cameron to Blair. If party supporters are so thinned skinned they cannot allow any criticism they should stop getting involved in politics. Instead of slagging off a concerned parent, those who have been in power for the last 9 years should be saying what would you like us to do? Boris screwed up by not telling the truth. Sometimes it is better to own up to a mistake than protest innocence...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,328
    edited September 2019

Click on your name (in blue) to go to the Vanilla page for your profile, click the "cogwheel" icon at top right, click on edit profile, then change picture.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

I understand about four in five of them and I'm not sure it's to my credit.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

Having read through this thread, you've been a total bell-end this evening.
    You have been deliberately reading this thread in the hope that @HYUFD would say something stupid and now you've gone and ambushed him.

Outrageous behaviour - I bet you're a PB activist!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,322
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

Now *that* is the funniest thing I've read all night.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD should take it as a compliment that so many people think he has a nice ass! :smiley:

• Options
    geoffw said:

Scott_P said:
    But with a split remain perhaps not such a no-hoper.
    @HYUFD is applying as we speak.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Other News at 10.

I understand about four in five of them and I'm not sure it's to my credit.
    It was Steve Buscemi in "Con Air" (1997).
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

PM get's lectured shock! TM did not seem to get them but I can remember many of the incidents from Cameron to Blair. If party supporters are so thinned skinned they cannot allow any criticism they should stop getting involved in politics. Instead of slagging off a concerned parent, those who have been in power for the last 9 years should be saying what would you like us to do? Boris screwed up by not telling the truth. Sometimes it is better to own up to a mistake than protest innocence...
    You are making my point, this is now not about how to solve the problems in the NHS it is now about pro Boris or anti Boris. That scenario solves nothing.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,011

Really? If I go into my profile I still get the 'change picture' option over my avatar.

(But I'm sticking with the current one until Brexit is cancelled)
    It would appear that the door has opened
This discussion has been closed.