Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of the big court case some of the main brexit betti

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,834
    Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    One of the smallest EU country told Johnson to F.O.
    And people want to stay in this club?
    Quite. F##k ‘em. The EU and it’s Remain chums don’t know what feelings they are stirring. The chance of compromise is slipping away. I can’t be the only one now wondering why we bother to help the US underwrite NATO. The Europeans apparently don’t want to be allies.

We’ll have left the EU by 2030, but doing so didn’t have to to crack the Western alliance. I now fear it will.
    “The Europeans” apparently being a catch-all term that includes UK Remainers. You are simply destroying the UK, not the Western alliance.
    Another imperialist remainer. I’m English. It’s up to the Scots whether they want to be in a Union with us. I’d like them to stay but it’s up to them. Why have an unhappy Union?
    I’m English too, and England is a European country. Once we’ve shed the imperial baggage of the UK state, that will become the consensus view.
    A total failure to understand England. We are different from them, for good or bad. Hence Brexit.
    Who is we?
    We, the English. The Exceptional Nation.
    Exceptional in what way?
    Exceptional hubris? Exceptional self delusion? Exceptional amateurism?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,009

viewcode said:

nico67 said:

glw said:

Noo said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm no fan of Boris, but the protestors were making a hell of a racket today, and far louder than anything I've heard from Downing Street. Maybe he should have done the press conference, but it was not a good location if you actually wanted to hear what he had to say.
    Boris could do with listening a bit more and talking a bit less.
    He could, but that doesn't change the fact that he was expected to speak from a podium that couldn't have been more than 20 metres from protestors, some of who seemed to have megaphones. It was very noisy, and he would have been drowned out.
    I’m sure the Luxembourg PM would have asked the crowd to calm down . If they didn’t and it wasn’t possible to continue then fine walk off.

They were hardly scary , did Bozo expect a riot !
    No, he rightly expected a press conference that wasn't a set-up to be shouted down.

Fuck off, Luxembourg.

The point is not that it was unexpected, it's that he ran away.

Previous PMs would not have run away, and at least two, possibly three (Wilson, Thatcher, possibly Major) would have been energised by the encounter. In one of my diatribes against Boris before May's resignation I pointed out that the Darius Guppy conversation showed that he was a physical coward: when faced with a frightening situation he grins inanely, does not engage, and runs away. I don't bang on about it (much) because I occasionally want to tal about other things but tonight's encounter just emphasised the point: the man in whom you have placed such store is unworthy.
    Boris standing at that podium had no good outcome.

None.

As was intended.

The Luxembourg PM was pissed because he had failed to have his photo-op of embarrassing Boris.
    If only I could think of a science-fiction film involving a no-win scenario that serves as a test of character. Still, I suppose the needs of the Boris outweigh the needs of the many... :)
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Quite. F##k ‘em. The EU and it’s Remain chums don’t know what feelings they are stirring. The chance of compromise is slipping away. I can’t be the only one now wondering why we bother to help the US underwrite NATO. The Europeans apparently don’t want to be allies.

We’ll have left the EU by 2030, but doing so didn’t have to to crack the Western alliance. I now fear it will.
    “The Europeans” apparently being a catch-all term that includes UK Remainers. You are simply destroying the UK, not the Western alliance.
    Another imperialist remainer. I’m English. It’s up to the Scots whether they want to be in a Union with us. I’d like them to stay but it’s up to them. Why have an unhappy Union?
    I’m English too, and England is a European country. Once we’ve shed the imperial baggage of the UK state, that will become the consensus view.
    A total failure to understand England. We are different from them, for good or bad. Hence Brexit.
    Who is we?
    You think we are ‘exceptional’ but we are not. We are just like all the rest.
    We are quite literally not like any nation. The world speaks English, the language of the English people. This is exceptional. Literally.
    For now. The world used to speak French. Maybe in the future it will speak Mandarin.

Nothing good has ever come out of a superiority complex.
    Very little good has come out of an interiority complex either.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited September 2019
    Why Leavers continue to put their faith in Boris, such an out and out bullshit artist is beyond me. They should have picked Gove.
  • Options
    Mr Luxembourg might have thought he was being clever arranging his "ambush" as the DT puts it, and then theatrically motioning towards the empty lectern. However, his puerile antics have not made any progress towards resolving Brexit nor will they have inspired a single Eurosceptic to weaken their resolve. His posturing is no less insulting than Donald Tusk's childish jokes about cherry cakes.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Who is we?
    We are quite literally not like any nation. The world speaks English, the language of the English people. This is exceptional. Literally.
    For now. The world used to speak French. Maybe in the future it will speak Mandarin.

I don’t disagree.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Scott_P said:
    Didn't know Soubry was from Luxembourg
    This is not a football match. There is no requirement to unconditionally support our Prime Minister because he happens to be ‘British’.
    Did I say there was? Soubry is referring to a PM acting with mendacity and being a buffoon. That was manifestly the Luxembourg guy today.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

In your dreams. Never in reality.
    One of the ironies of Brexit is that Britain WAS, slowly, becoming more European, but Brexit in itself has completely stopped this process, what's more, the traumatic way Brexit has played out has made us even less European.

From now on, no other European country will share our experience, no other European country will know what it is like, to try and escape the grotesque nightmare of EU non-democracy.

A huge rift has opened. We stare at each other, across the Channel, in mutual incomprehension.

We will never rejoin, for this reason. Poor old williamglenn.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904

Scott_P said:
    It makes me quite proud to be British to know that no British PM would go ahead with that press conference, let alone gesture to the empty podium like a third rate comedian.
    You'd enjoy the new Downton film. It was full of absurd posturing. One of the many reasons I found it so execrable.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    This is not a football match. There is no requirement to unconditionally support our Prime Minister because he happens to be ‘British’.
    as one who goes regularly to football matches, fans booing their own players, own managers and own owners is not unusual at all!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Who is we?
    Exceptional in what way?
    We have quite interesting geology.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Did I say there was? Soubry is referring to a PM acting with mendacity and being a buffoon. That was manifestly the Luxembourg guy today.
    In your opinion.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In your opinion.
    Yes, it would be a bit odd if it wasn't
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'm feeling a bit sorry for Boris actually - if he genuinely felt intimidated by the hecklers then it would have been cruel to send him amongst them. This isn't ancient Rome where they throw people to the lions! Boris is looking a bit of a victim tonight, but that's not always a bad thing (think about the viewing figures these charity shows on the BBC get), so perhaps Cummings will chalk this off as a win.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In your opinion.
    And you suggest that because Soubry holds a different opinion she can’t possibly be British.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I've said for years we should pull the plug on NATO (or at least out involvement in it) and spend the money on the NHS...
    I am constantly aghast at the number of Leavers who seem determined, step by step, to declare war on Europe.

Declare war? :open_mouth:

Because we decide to end our involvement in in an organization that was set up in the Cold War and is still going strong 30 years after the Cold War ended?

However I am glad to know that you think it's implausible. I hope you are right.
    I really can't see any plausible reason why we would want to wage war with Europe.

But then my instinct is to end all of our military entanglements as far as possible.

Stop all of the sily non-wars with USA, stop our involvement with NATO. Scrap Trident etc.

So far so Corbyn. ;)

But where I'd differ from Corbyn is that I'd also want to fund a decent army/navy that can protect this country and it's interests (it's interesting that we fund NATO but if Argentina invaded the Falklands again I'm not sure we'd have thje capacity to defend those Islands again) and massive increase out spending on fighting state-sponsered cyber crime.

It seems to me the real danger is not from Putin rolling tanks into Berlin but from Russian hackers taking over and shutting down the national grid, for example.
    The UK reinforced the falkland islands after 1982. Warfare has moved on as we have the ability to fire cruise missiles rather than relie on planes. You are also niave on the russian threat, they still have thousands of nuclear warheads and large conventional forces even if much is dated. If NATO is disbanded. Putin will attempt a land grab...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,851

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Who is we?

That's a great typo!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Streeter said:

Byronic said:

WhatEVAH

We are trying to do the impossible. Leave the EU. The spectacle will always be comical, because Leaving the EU is meant to be horribly, comically painful. It was designed that way. The EU made it that way. Barnier told us he would do this to us: make it so bad we want to stay. And he is as good as his word.

But we will still Leave. And then things will change for the worse.
    Fixed that for you.
    Wow. You did the whole "fixed that for you" thing. Well done, that must have been hard, but you went ahead and did it. Just there. I can see it. Yes.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited September 2019
    Plenty of evidence of how obnoxious the EU are - Blairite spin with little substance.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Carnyx said:

And relating to discussions yesterday, Ms Swinson explains that the LD policy on Brexit and indyref2 is coherent:

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/1173653923707547648

Bollocks to Democracy with the libdems
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    On topic, the only value that I see in these markets is No Deal Brexit.

There is no way that BoZo the clown can negotiate a Deal, or get it past his own party. It is a bet on whether BoZo is gone before Halloween, and I wouldn't price that as more than evens.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Jonathan said:

Why Leavers continue to put their faith in Boris, such an out and out bullshit artist is beyond me. They should have picked Gove.

They should have picked Stewart, he was the only person who seemed to grasp we might need to do some more thinking and talking about how to leave.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

One of the ironies of Brexit is that Britain WAS, slowly, becoming more European, but Brexit in itself has completely stopped this process, what's more, the traumatic way Brexit has played out has made us even less European.

From now on, no other European country will share our experience, no other European country will know what it is like, to try and escape the grotesque nightmare of EU non-democracy.

A huge rift has opened. We stare at each other, across the Channel, in mutual incomprehension.

It's quite touching that you think (this week at least*) that we will actually leave.

To me it's becoming less likely we will leave every time Boris promises we will.

(*Next week you'll probably have swung back to the 'Brexit is dead' line.)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

WhatEVAH

We are trying to do the impossible. Leave the EU. The spectacle will always be comical, because Leaving the EU is meant to be horribly, comically painful. It was designed that way. The EU made it that way. Barnier told us he would do this to us: make it so bad we want to stay. And he is as good as his word.

Fixed that for you.
    Wow. You did the whole "fixed that for you" thing. Well done, that must have been hard, but you went ahead and did it. Just there. I can see it. Yes.
    You seem a bit stressed.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    GIN1138 said:

It seems to me the real danger is not from Putin rolling tanks into Berlin but from Russian hackers taking over and shutting down the national grid, for example.

Smartest thing you've said in a while, but remember that Russia's hybrid wars are not "war minus" (as in, cyber attacks instead of lethal force), but "war plus" (cyber attacks AS WELL AS lethal force). Ukraine was a testbed for a lot of the information warfare that they have unleashed on western Europe and the USA. There is no reason to suppose that safe from conventional attack too. Russian subs and planes are constantly probing European countries' airspace and waters. The Russian carpet bombing of Syria was designed to drive huge numbers of refugees Europewards, and came along with vile anti-Muslim propaganda to stoke unrest when they arrived.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Russia is considering covertly arming both jihadi and far-right terror groups within Europe to invoke exchanges of mass shootings. The propaganda to persuade different groups that NATO membership is compatible with their strategic interests is well established.
    Russia's likeliest targets for annexation include Ukraine, Georgia, the Baltic states. They've been picking at the weakest ones (not coincidentally, the ones outside the EU).
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:
    In your opinion.
    And you suggest that because Soubry holds a different opinion she can’t possibly be British.
    Yes, and if course it was an entirely serious suggestion. Rather than pointing out via a little joke that you could infer she was talking about Lux man I was suggesting she is actually from Luxembourg.
    I forgot how literal people love to be when you post something they disagree with, it's so life affirmingly engaging.
  • Options
    Whilst still surprised how Leavers buy Boris’ bullshit, you have to admire how his supporters continue to spin his mishaps as triumphs. Tragic devotion. Heroic almost. Well done.
  • Options
    glw said:

Jonathan said:

They should have picked Stewart, he was the only person who seemed to grasp we might need to do some more thinking and talking about how to leave.
    They should have picked Sam G - he would have merged them with the Lib Dems so they could have increased their majority but poll 8%.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,945
    Streeter said:

Foxy said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Who is we?
    Exceptional in what way?
    In England? As opposed to the rest of the world? Much of it is the same strata to what's on the other side of the Channel. And there is so much Anthropopcene overburden. Farmland, concrete, housing etc. Quarries filled with rubbish - even when there is superb geology. I was once shown a massive dinosaur trackway complex that was about to be covered by landfill waste (in fairness they had dug the hole to put the rubbish in). Of course there is or rather was a lot of coal and ironstone and early Victorian geologists used to go on about the forethought of divine Providence in bestowing these goodies on us (often implicit but obviously meaning the English/British).
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    It makes me quite proud to be British to know that no British PM would go ahead with that press conference, let alone gesture to the empty podium like a third rate comedian.
    You'd enjoy the new Downton film. It was full of absurd posturing. One of the many reasons I found it so execrable.
    I doubt it. I liked some of the TV episodes because Julian Fellowes writes pretty good dialogue (not an easy thing to do in period) and because the series took a human but unjudgemental view of the past. Failure to do either of those things (often both) prevents a lot of period drama (for me) being enjoyable.

But the film trailer to me seems to be about a lap of honour for all those things people love about Downton (the grandeur, Maggie Smith) rather than an actual story. Wouldn't get me to the cinema, no doubt I'll catch it on telly at some point.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In your opinion.
    Yes, and if course it was an entirely serious suggestion. Rather than pointing out via a little joke that you could infer she was talking about Lux man I was suggesting she is actually from Luxembourg.
    I forgot how literal people love to be when you post something they disagree with, it's so life affirmingly engaging.
    The classic “I’ve been called out so now I will pretend it was a joke and accuse you of having no sense of humour” maneuver.
  • Options
    Tobias Elwood points out the negotiations are happening EVERY day now and Boris spoke to Junker for a whole TWO hours. Wow! Impressive stuff!
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Foxy said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Who is we?
    Exceptional in what way?
    You know, that's pretty true. But consider also Italy, Germany, Turkey and Iceland.
  • Options
    egg said:

Carnyx said:

And relating to discussions yesterday, Ms Swinson explains that the LD policy on Brexit and indyref2 is coherent:

I was having an interesting chat with one of my Greek colleagues. He pointed out that their government went against a decisive referendum within weeks, and no lasting damage to Democracy. He cannot see the problem with reversing referendums.
  • Options

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Qu

It's quite touching that you think (this week at least*) that we will actually leave.

To me it's becoming less likely we will leave every time Boris promises we will.

Yes, I think we will leave. Today has affirmed this. Forces have been set in play, which are driving Britain and Europe apart, and with increasing speed. It's like tectonic plates.

The EU is changing its mind about trying to keep Britain inside. They realise this is mad, and a bitter, angry, divided Britain, still embedded in the EU, would be a disaster for The Project. Sure, a prosperous Brexit Britain also threatens the EU, but that's probably better than an EU crippled by a major member state which hates its status, and keeps trying to exit at every election.

We're out. It may take a month or a year, but we're out. Deal or No Deal.

• Options
    Foxy said:

egg said:

Carnyx said:

I was having an interesting chat with one of my Greek colleagues. He pointed out that their government went against a decisive referendum within weeks, and no lasting damage to Democracy. He cannot see the problem with reversing referendums.
    Let’s hope we never get that cowed by the establishment.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I've said for years we should pull the plug on NATO (or at least out involvement in it) and spend the money on the NHS...
    I am constantly aghast at the number of Leavers who seem determined, step by step, to declare war on Europe.

Because we decide to end our involvement in in an organization that was set up in the Cold War and is still going strong 30 years after the Cold War ended?

However I am glad to know that you think it's implausible. I hope you are right.
    I really can't see any plausible reason why we would want to wage war with Europe.

But then my instinct is to end all of our military entanglements as far as possible.

Stop all of the sily non-wars with USA, stop our involvement with NATO. Scrap Trident etc.

So far so Corbyn. ;)

But where I'd differ from Corbyn is that I'd also want to fund a decent army/navy that can protect this country and it's interests (it's interesting that we fund NATO but if Argentina invaded the Falklands again I'm not sure we'd have thje capacity to defend those Islands again) and massive increase out spending on fighting state-sponsered cyber crime.

The UK reinforced the falkland islands after 1982. Warfare has moved on as we have the ability to fire cruise missiles rather than relie on planes. You are also niave on the russian threat, they still have thousands of nuclear warheads and large conventional forces even if much is dated. If NATO is disbanded. Putin will attempt a land grab...
    Yes, but not here. The point is that if the EU doesn’t want to be an ally then frankly who cares if Putin wants a holiday home in Paris.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

egg said:

Carnyx said:

But that's different, because in Greece's case, they were voting on something that was totally outside their government's ability to deliver without causing a cataclysm. Contrast that with Brexit which... ah
  • Options
    Foxy said:

egg said:

Carnyx said:

:neutral:
  • Options
    ab195 said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    elings they are stirring. The chance of compromise is slipping away. I can’t be the only one now wondering why we bother to help the US underwrite NATO. The Europeans apparently don’t want to be allies.

So far so Corbyn. ;)

Yes, but not here. The point is that if the EU doesn’t want to be an ally then frankly who cares if Putin wants a holiday home in Paris.
    You’re so sensitive. Has the little Luxembourg man upset you?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,143
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Qu

Yes, I think we will leave. Today has affirmed this. Forces have been set in play, which are driving Britain and Europe apart, and with increasing speed. It's like tectonic plates.

The EU is changing its mind about trying to keep Britain inside. They realise this is mad, and a bitter, angry, divided Britain, still embedded in the EU, would be a disaster for The Project. Sure, a prosperous Brexit Britain also threatens the EU, but that's probably better than an EU crippled by a major member state which hates its status, and keeps trying to exit at every election.

“That’s my forecast. And, if you don’t like it, I have others.”
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Interesting Lord Sumption ex SC judge basically trashing no 10s delusion that they can avoid the Benn Act .

I think I’ll take his opinion over Raabs nonsense .
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In your opinion.
    The classic “I’ve been called out so now I will pretend it was a joke and accuse you of having no sense of humour” maneuver.
    You think I was actually accusing her of literally being from Luxembourg? Wow, ok.
  • Options
    Sumption calling bullshit on Boris’ loophole on the Benn act. Boris really is full of it.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

egg said:

Carnyx said:

Are you still pretending that the government of elite public schoolboys is not the establishment?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    In your opinion.
    No, you just didn't get the jist. He was intimating that Soubry's catalogue of criticism for 'our Prime Minister', must have been aimed at the Luxembourg guy, and that therefore Soubry must be from Luxembourg. Penny dropped now?
  • Options
    Let's face it - our PM has been humiliated by the leader of Luxembourg. Luxembourg! Who's he going to duck a confrontation with next? The Faroe Islands? San Marino?

No doubt the usual suspects will praise to the heavens the sagacity of the Dear Leader in sidestepping a potentially tricky showdown with Andorra's deputy transport minister.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Whilst people obsess themselves over Brexit, its going to pale in immediate effect if things kick off in the Persian Gulf.

All the off the record US briefings are that the attack on Saudi oil facilities 'originated from inside Iran' a fantastically vague statement that allows for some room to keep response options from being overt and direct and on a comparative scale.

The US has plenty of options open for all kinds of responses, lethal and non lethal but the people who should be responding with bodies on the line at this point are the Saudis who have less options on a response to what was a nicely grey area/sub threshold attack.

The US DoD has and favours response plans that are very limited designed to cause many small cuts to the Iranians. Others in the administration want to put a lot of metal in the region, if not to use it, to at least cow the Iranians

The Saudi military is equipped well to blow things up but its quasi military/military low exposure response capabilities are very limited indeed. If they do respond militarily then its likely to be a tit for tat playground level pushing match situation and the creeping instability will cause economic uncertainty on a wide scale.
  • Options
    Telegraph headline: "Luxembourg laughs in Johnson's face"

Er, no they didn't because he was too frightened to show his face.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Qu
    One of the ironies of Brexit is that Britain WAS, slowly, becoming more European, but Brexit in itself has completely stopped this process,

Here’s mine. Ronics wrong.

Monday 16th September. Boris with 4 days left. The day the leavers lost it.

Dawning with a daily mail editorial written by black shirts, closing with Boris fans closing ranks with some anti EU bluster completely ignoring the stark truth, Boris does not have a plan. He doesn’t have a clue how to bring this mess, a mess with his handiwork all over it as he worked for his own self interest, to a close.

A no deal exit is just more of the same not the end, there will be more discussions with Eu in no deal exit, more chaos trying to get things through commons, just as much division in UK between those pushing global Britain and those EU membership (who will win in the end through weight of numbers) all the while UK goes to rats through this fixation and taking eye off everything else.

Only leavers have the power to stop all this. They need to let go of the 2016 result and submit to a ref more clear and definitive.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Byronic said:
    That picture is useful. The protestors were on the other side of that fence making a racket, and the podium was maybe 5-10 metres to Johnson's left. I was surprised by the setup, it certainly wasn't the usual way of doing these sort of things.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Qu

oor old williamglenn.

All presuming that anti EU parties rule in the UK. Far more likely that Pro EU parties rule here, Brexit or no Brexit.

Your presumption to speak for the nation is because you are in your cups again. The most significant and paradoxical effect of Brexit has been to make the EU popular in Britain. The massive crowds of EU flag wavers in Parliament square and at the last night of the proms are something that I never expected to see.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Can anyone get rid of Boris? Above all leavers need to get shot. He’s a liability. All talk.

Politics is talking. What do you want him to do, break dancing?
    Breakdance-fighting did occur in Zoolander!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyoS8fppB0
  • Options
    ab195 said:

It might be useful to remember that Putin has cheerfully murdered multiple people in the UK.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

egg said:

Carnyx said:

I agree. We need to follow those plucky anti-establishment types Jacob Rees Mogg, Bill Cash, John Redwood and Dominic Raab.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Streeter said:

Foxy said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Who is we?
    Exceptional in what way?
    In England? As opposed to the rest of the world? Much of it is the same strata to what's on the other side of the Channel. And there is so much Anthropopcene overburden. Farmland, concrete, housing etc. Quarries filled with rubbish - even when there is superb geology. I was once shown a massive dinosaur trackway complex that was about to be covered by landfill waste (in fairness they had dug the hole to put the rubbish in). Of course there is or rather was a lot of coal and ironstone and early Victorian geologists used to go on about the forethought of divine Providence in bestowing these goodies on us (often implicit but obviously meaning the English/British).
    The Empire was built on the Industrial Revolution was built on our geology.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Can anyone get rid of Boris? Above all leavers need to get shot. He’s a liability. All talk.

15% of Tory MPs, then a secret ballot, and they're done.

I'm not sure if they need parliament to be sitting though?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Streeter said:

Byronic said:

WhatEVAH

Fixed that for you.
    BFC = Boris Fried Chicken
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Qu
    Another imperialist remainer. I’m English. It’s up to the Scots whether they want to be in a
    I’m English too we’ve shed the imperial baggage of the UK state, that will become the consensus view.
    One of the ironies of Brexit is that Britain WAS, slowly, becoming more European, but Brexit in itself has completely stopped this process,

The EU is changing its mind about trying to keep Britain inside. They realise

Dawning with a daily mail editorial written by black shirts, closing with Boris fans closing ranks with some anti EU bluster completely ignoring the stark truth, Boris does not have a plan. He doesn’t have a clue how to bring this mess, a mess with his handiwork all over it as he worked for his own self interest, to a close.

A no deal exit is just more of the same not the end, there will be more discussions with Eu in no deal exit, more chaos trying to get things through commons, just as much division in UK between those pushing global Britain and those EU membership (who will win in the end through weight of numbers) all the while UK goes to rats through this fixation and taking eye off everything else.

Only leavers have the power to stop all this. They need to let go of the 2016 result and submit to a ref more clear and definitive.
    Nah, in the long run we’re leaving. Even if you lot win this time we’ll still be out in ten years
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Qu

Anothe
    oor old williamglenn.

Yes, I th

All presuming that anti EU parties rule in the UK. Far more likely that Pro EU parties rule here, Brexit or no Brexit.

Your presumption to speak for the nation is because you are in your cups again. The most significant and paradoxical effect of Brexit has been to make the EU popular in Britain. The massive crowds of EU flag wavers in Parliament square and at the last night of the proms are something that I never expected to see.
    Then explain to me how we get to Remain. I can't see an obvious route.
  • Options

And as with many English people a total failure to understand that Boris is meant to represent England Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Qu

Spot on: Boris doesn't have a clue how to bring this to a close. That was written all over his face in the Laura K interview.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Qu
    Another imperialist remainer. I’m English. It’s up to the Scots whether they want to be in a
    I’m English too we’ve shed the imperial baggage of the UK state, that will become the consensus view.

Nah, in the long run we’re leaving. Even if you lot win this time we’ll still be out in ten years
    Demographics say otherwise.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,143
    nico67 said:

Interesting Lord Sumption ex SC judge basically trashing no 10s delusion that they can avoid the Benn Act .

I think I’ll take his opinion over Raabs nonsense .

As an aside, Sumption’s father was called Anthony.

A. Sumption.

• Options
    edited September 2019

And as with many English people a total failure to understand that Boris is meant to represent England Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Do you speak for England mate?
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Mmmmm nope.
    The industrial revolution happened here because we had rule of law, property rights and no overbearing monarch to stymie innovation. It was inventions, not rivers, that drove the revolution. Not all of those inventions happened here, but this was where they could flourish.
  • Options

ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Qu

Tory party being the most successful party of Government ever says people wise up.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Qu

They really don’t. Today’s remainers, following events, become leavers. See the 70s referendum voters....

Edit - Oh plus a chunk of current remainers are scared, not europhiles.
  • Options
    ON topic. I had maybe the best meal of my year, so far, last night.

Parillan, in Coal Drops Yard, King's Cross. Laaaandan.

https://www.ft.com/content/1b260514-b258-11e9-8cb2-799a3a8cf37b

Sumptuous ingredients. The best of Spanish meet the best of British, over a little brazier. The new King's Cross is amazing.
  • Options

Sorry the first bit is a quote from someone else from earlier.which seems to have lost the quote marks...my bit is the 2nd para
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Y0kel said:

Whilst people obsess themselves over Brexit, its going to pale in immediate effect if things kick off in the Persian Gulf.

All the off the record US briefings are that the attack on Saudi oil facilities 'originated from inside Iran' a fantastically vague statement that allows for some room to keep response options from being overt and direct and on a comparative scale.

The US has plenty of options open for all kinds of responses, lethal and non lethal but the people who should be responding with bodies on the line at this point are the Saudis who have less options on a response to what was a nicely grey area/sub threshold attack.

The US DoD has and favours response plans that are very limited designed to cause many small cuts to the Iranians. Others in the administration want to put a lot of metal in the region, if not to use it, to at least cow the Iranians

The Saudi military is equipped well to blow things up but its quasi military/military low exposure response capabilities are very limited indeed. If they do respond militarily then its likely to be a tit for tat playground level pushing match situation and the creeping instability will cause economic uncertainty on a wide scale.

The Saudi performance in Yemen can surely not have the Iranians quaking in their boots. I very much doubt that they could sustain a land war for any length of time let alone take anything like the casualties that both Iran and Iraq did in their war. Of course they may be able to call on the Americans but I think Trump is very wary about committing forces and the sacking of Bolton is hardly likely to make him less so.
  • Options

Let's face it - our PM has been humiliated by the leader of Luxembourg. Luxembourg! Who's he going to duck a confrontation with next? The Faroe Islands? San Marino?

No doubt the usual suspects will praise to the heavens the sagacity of the Dear Leader in sidestepping a potentially tricky showdown with Andorra's deputy transport minister.

If it was a set-up, Boris fell for it. Not a good look in a PM.
  • Options

ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

RobD said:

Qu

Athe end, there will be more discussions with Eu in no deal exit, more chaos trying to get things through commons, just as much division in UK between those pushing global Britain and those EU membership (who will win in the end through weight of numbers) all the while UK goes to rats through this fixation and taking eye off everything else.

Tory party being the most successful party of Government ever says people wise up.
    Becoming conservative and supporting Brexit are not the same.
  • Options

Sorry the first bit is a quote from someone else from earlier.which seems to have lost the quote marks...my bit is the 2nd para
    My apologies.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:
    Another imperialist remainerin a

there will be more discussions with Eu in no deal exit, more chaos trying to get things through commons, just as much division in UK between those pushing global Britain and those EU membership (who will win in the end through weight of numbers) all the while UK goes to rats through this fixation and taking eye off everything else.

They really don’t. Today’s remainers, following events, become leavers. See the 70s referendum voters....

Maybe. Maybe not. Why are you so confident?
  • Options

How so? It's not unreasonable for a visiting dignitary to expect his host to provide a level playing field for any joint press conference. I'm not sure how hes supposed to guess a friend and ally is going to try this on
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

I don't think that's hard? In order of likeliness:

1) Election, most Lab incumbents hang on, LD gain a bunch from Tory Remainia, Con lose what they have in Scotland, new government negotiates rejigged PD, passed subject to referendum, votes Remain

2) Tory PM brings back WA, whips for it subject to referendum, votes Remain

3) GONU, Corbyn or $CARETAKER negotiate rejigged PD, referendum, votes Remain

This has been the only known way through ever since MV1 (except the final step, they might vote Leave), it's just tough for the Conservative Party to swallow so they keep stalling and faffing around down dead ends.
  • Options

Starting to think Boris is a bit fick. I don't remember ever thinking that about another PM. Perhaps Major, just a little bit. But none of the others in my lifetime.
  • Options

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

Dawning with a daily mail editorial written by black shirts, closing with

there will be more discussions with Eu in no deal exit, more chaos trying to get things through commons, just as much division in UK between those pushing global Britain and those EU membership (who will win in the end through weight of numbers) all the while UK goes to rats through this fixation and taking eye off everything else.

The EU isn’t static. It’ll always alienate us.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

Speak for yourself. I am very much at home in the EU.
  • Options
    Noo said:

ab195 said:

It might be useful to remember that Putin has cheerfully murdered multiple people in the UK.

Quite. But that’s a reason for us to be on our guard against Russia, not for us to look after other countries which don’t care about us.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    Byronic said:

Sumptuous ingredients. The best of Spanish meet the best of British, over a little brazier. The new King's Cross is amazing.

Kebab Machine was the best restaurant in Kings Cross in the 80s.
  • Options

Byronic said:

I don't think that's hard? In order of likeliness:

1) Election, most Lab incumbents hang on, LD gain a bunch from Tory Remainia, Con lose what they have in Scotland, new government negotiates rejigged PD, passed subject to referendum, votes Remain

2) Tory PM brings back WA, whips for it subject to referendum, votes Remain

3) GONU, Corbyn or $CARETAKER negotiate rejigged PD, referendum, votes Remain

This has been the only known way through ever since MV1, it's just tough for the Conservative Party to swallow so they keep stalling and faffing around down dead ends.
    A sizeable part of me hopes you are right, and we get to Remain, so as to really fuck off the Europeans. But.... I don't buy it. All those options have so many IFs.

For a start, there is a massive presumption that a new Referendum produces Remain. It's seems significantly more likely, to me, that a 2nd ref would enrage the patriotic public, who would then vote Leave, again. All prior examples of voters being asked twice, in Britain, point to this.

My best guess is

Deal (perhaps with a v short extension): 45% chance
    No Deal: 20% chance
    Remain after a ref: 10%
    Leave, again, after a ref: 10%
    Endless extensions: 10%
    Black swan and who the F knows: 5%

Leave is a strong favourite.

• Options
    This has the potential to be really big:
    "The Manhattan district attorney has demanded eight years of Donald Trump’s personal and corporate tax returns, according to the New York Times."

If NY is going after Trump for alleged crimes, then it could be huge. Remember, state prosecutions are not bound by the memo that says a sitting president cannot be indicted -- that only applies to federal crimes.
    Similarly, an incoming president cannot pardon Trump for state crimes. If the rumours of some of the fraud committed by Trump and his businesses are anywhere near the mark, this will be a catastrophe for him
  • Options

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

Yes but you’re one person. If you want to a pedantic prat I’ll accept what I meant is:

The EU isn’t static. It’ll always alienate a large enough plurality of us to create a majority Government in favour of leaving.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

I know! The transformation is so incredible it is emotionally moving. King's Cross is arguably the greatest example of large scale urban regeneration in the world. right now.

It is phenomenal, what they have done.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Noo said:

ab195 said:

Quite. But that’s a reason for us to be on our guard against Russia, not for us to look after other countries which don’t care about us.
    I think it's nonsense to say other countries don't care about us.
    The solidarity we got in response to the Salisbury poisonings was excellent. And the international cooperation on the Magnitsky case has been really important.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

egg said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

ab195 said:

ab195 said:

Yes but you’re one person. If you want to a pedantic prat I’ll accept what I meant is:

The EU isn’t static. It’ll always alienate a large enough plurality of us to create a majority Government in favour of leaving.
    That’s quite the prediction.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

I know! The transformation is so incredible it is emotionally moving. King's Cross is arguably the greatest example of large scale urban regeneration in the world. right now.

It is phenomenal, what they have done.
    When are they going to do it in Blyth?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

What on earth would you know about eating in varied and exciting places so how could you make a comparison?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

How so? It's not unreasonable for a visiting dignitary to expect his host to provide a level playing field for any joint press conference. I'm not sure how hes supposed to guess a friend and ally is going to try this on
    Yes - and certain remain types think this is wonderful.

• Options
    Noo said:

ab195 said:

Noo said:

ab195 said:

I think it's nonsense to say other countries don't care about us.
    The solidarity we got in response to the Salisbury poisonings was excellent. And the international cooperation on the Magnitsky case has been really important.
    Nobody (including the U.K.) did anything (public, that we know of anyway) of note after Salisbury. It was a repeat offence and we basically let him get away with it, expelling a few spies.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

It was a set-up. But Boris DIDN'T fall for it. Luxembourg PM had a temper tantrum as a result.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,945
    edited September 2019
    Noo said:

Noo: Mmmmm nope.
    The industrial revolution happened here because we had rule of law, property rights and no overbearing monarch to stymie innovation. It was inventions, not rivers, that drove the revolution. Not all of those inventions happened here, but this was where they could flourish.

Me: And re Mr/Ms rel="Streeter" 's suggestion surely the timing was in substantial part the other way round? It was the empire - and relared enterprises and orgganizations such as the Royal and Merchant Navies - that provided a lot of the market for industry as well as the raw goods. Cotton cloth and metal goods to Africa, slaves to US etc., tobacco and sugar and cotton to Glasgow and Liverpool. The invention of mass production machinery at the Block Mills in Portsmouth naval dockyard. and so on. But a lot of trade went to parts of the world that were never part of the Empire. [sorry, quoting got mangled]

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

What on earth would you know about eating in varied and exciting places so how could you make a comparison?
    I am an international male model. My job takes me all over the world to be photographed in glamorous places. I make no bones about this. I am lucky.

Tho I would prefer to be a woman.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

I am an international male model. My job takes me all over the world to be photographed in glamorous places. I make no bones about this. I am lucky.

Male models don't exactly stuff their faces now do they. So that still leaves a knowledge gap.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Male models don't exactly stuff their faces now do they. So that still leaves a knowledge gap.
    I am bulimic.
  • Options

It was a set-up. But Boris DIDN'T fall for it. Luxembourg PM had a temper tantrum as a result.
    Frit. Will be the headlines.
This discussion has been closed.