Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A general election could unlock a restoration at Stormont

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Trougher in anger at snout being removed from trough shock.

Really? You don't think it would be easier for Tory grandees to simply go along with current shite, and carry on guzzling if the swill is all they care about?

You may reference Hancock or Rudd in your answer, if you like.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Briskin, Morris Dancer offers advice on an informational basis only. He is not responsible or liable for any losses or damages that may ensue. Individuals are responsible for their own behaviour.

In all seriousness, that would've been looking very rosy now. But that's hindsight for you. Works even better with lottery numbers.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

ydoethur said:

This is quite good:
    http://www.twitter.com/rockgod1970/status/1167370090825834497
    Although if carried to its logical conclusion, I would feel a bit sorry for the sailors aboard the HMS Aunt Fanny.

I wonder how long the one about Prince Andrew will remain up...
    HMS Dick would be very in keeping with naval traditions.
    Well spotted.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    ydoethur said:

Not just in the UK and EU that there are big problems over who or what is entitled to residency:

Assam NRC: What next for 1.9 million 'stateless' Indians?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-49520593

Another populist cocking everything up.

This is ethnic cleansing. One person who was found "illegal" had served in the Indian Army for 30 years. Another was the brother of ex Indian President. All these 1.9m people are, of course, Muslims.
    The indian government has not criticized Myanmar for the expulsion of Rohingya people.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/soldier-for-30-years-assam-man-arrested-as-illegal-immigrant-2045049
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    FPT
    FF43 said:

Barring an electoral shock imminently I think it will be sustainable for the simple reason that realpolitik means it has to be sustainable.

However we leave our path and our leaders will be tied to that. Their fate will ride on that. So they need to make it work.

Plus I think we are too damn stubborn to admit otherwise.

Stubbornness is certainly a factor. I have been surprised by how long people have maintained their state of denial. Which is why we haven't left yet.

No Deal isn't an end state. It's the absence of agreement. Eventually people in the UK will need to decide it can live with ongoing EU demands so it can have a working relationship or the EU stops making demands. The second is highly unlikely.

I don't expect Brexit be cancelled. I expect it to lead to the UK as a subservient satellite of the EU. Which is a crap thing to be, and not at all what Leavers voted for. But we can live with it.
    But you also feel that Scottish independence will happen, so "the UK as a subservient satellite of the EU" cannot be the end state either.
  • Options

Mr. Briskin, Morris Dancer offers advice on an informational basis only. He is not responsible or liable for any losses or damages that may ensue. Individuals are responsible for their own behaviour.

In all seriousness, that would've been looking very rosy now. But that's hindsight for you. Works even better with lottery numbers.

My first vanilla race weekend for a while. I guess I can just sit back and relax and see whether Le Clerc bottles it again.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

I did some bulk buying at Aldi this morning to be honest.

Deepest sympathies.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

With people in Chichester out on the streets, it's going to be difficult to portray Johnson as the man fighting for the people against parliament.

https://twitter.com/Fazzinchi/status/1167771867853271041

I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Briskin, very unfair. He should've cruised to victory in Bahrain but his car let him down.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,011
    I like the Crown Dependencies/Overseas Dependencies option. Serves as a reminder of the RN's global role, or at least aspirations to same.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    Gabs2 said:

dr_spyn said:

Number of road deaths in UK:

1970: 7499
    1980: 5953
    1990: 5217
    2000: 3409
    2010: 1857
    2018: 1782

Anyone have an idea why the fall has flatlined? I haven't looked at international figures.

I had wondered about those figures relative to the number of vehicles on the road.
    Cars are just a lot safer than they were. Stronger frames, airbags, better car seats etc
    But thicker and more sloping A pillars giving you poorer vision front/left and front/right
  • Options

Mr. Briskin, very unfair. He should've cruised to victory in Bahrain but his car let him down.

Yeah but he did let Verstappen barge past him that race when Red Bull turned the engines up.

We'll see what happens.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393
    edited August 2019
    On the news that Boris nee Cummings intends making any vote on an extension an effective vonc and dismissal for any conservative who fails to vote for the government one of my sons summed it up very well

'No deal is like a game of dare with two cars hurtling towards a brick wall each unbending but in Boris nee Cummings case they have thrown out of their windows the steering wheel and brakes'

Reckon that is very good to be honest
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028

On the news that Boris nee Cummings intends making any vote on an extension an effective vonc and dismissal for any consrervative who fails to vote for the government one of my sons summed it up very well

'No deal is like a game of dare with two cars hurtling towards a brick wall each unbending but in Boris nee Cummings case they have thrown out of their windows the steering wheel and brakes'

That comes from a tweet earlier this week.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    viewcode said:

I like the Crown Dependencies/Overseas Dependencies option. Serves as a reminder of the RN's global role, or at least aspirations to same.
    HMS Virgin (islands) I wonder Branson would sponser it in some way?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

On the news that Boris nee Cummings intends making any vote on an extension an effective vonc and dismissal for any conservative who fails to vote for the government one of my sons summed it up very well

It needs a bit of work, actually. Brick walls don't respond well to game-theory wheezes.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Not just in the UK and EU that there are big problems over who or what is entitled to residency:

This is ethnic cleansing. One person who was found "illegal" had served in the Indian Army for 30 years. Another was the brother of ex Indian President. All these 1.9m people are, of course, Muslims.
    The indian government has not criticized Myanmar for the expulsion of Rohingya people.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/soldier-for-30-years-assam-man-arrested-as-illegal-immigrant-2045049
    No, its bureaucracy. Moreover you know its that, and I really object to the fact you've tagged it as truly horrible thing.

I will agree entirely that there's a danger that these matters spill over into the type of horrible things you suggest, but it is just an administrative thing currently.

Earlier this week I had a conversation with a Bangladeshi man who I've known for decades. He's rather disappointed in the state of his country - far too much corruption for example. If India finds itself importing that then it's entirely reasonable for them to try to draw a line.

We have Hadrian's wall after all, no idea why it's not heavily manned :)

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,432

More like the steering wheel, the brakes, their clothes, their wallet and mobile phone.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Anyone have an idea why the fall has flatlined? I haven't looked at international figures.

Perhaps we've reached a plateau where the technology itself is much safer and therefore the number of deaths is due to sheer bad driving? How many accidents are now caused by burst tyres, failed brakes or ignition fires compared to stupid overtaking or drunkenness compared to 1970?
    This was discussed at length on my most recent Speed Awareness course. The conclusion was that all the easy gains had now been made, and from here on it's just a question improving driving standards.

That's not easily done.
    ABS saved my life once, and that was shortly after they had been introduced, so I need no persuasion of the influence of technical improvements.

A big factor in the reduction since 1970 is the change in attitudes to drinking. When I were a lad, having a skinful and then driving home was considered a bit of a lark. Young drivers these days seem to have a bit more sense.

I doubt we'll see much more of a fall in the death numbers until self-driving cars start to come in.
  • Options
    eek said:

On the news that Boris nee Cummings intends making any vote on an extension an effective vonc and dismissal for any consrervative who fails to vote for the government one of my sons summed it up very well

That comes from a tweet earlier this week.
    Really. Will have words with my youngest but he obviously follows twitter
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

No, its bureaucracy. Moreover you know its that, and I really object to the fact you've tagged it as truly horrible thing.

I will agree entirely that there's a danger that these matters spill over into the type of horrible things you suggest, but it is just an administrative thing currently.

Earlier this week I had a conversation with a Bangladeshi man who I've known for decades. He's rather disappointed in the state of his country - far too much corruption for example. If India finds itself importing that then it's entirely reasonable for them to try to draw a line.

Because the Scots are still prepared to let us come up for the time being.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

It needs a bit of work, actually. Brick walls don't respond well to game-theory wheezes.
    Boris playing chicken:
    https://youtu.be/u7hZ9jKrwvo
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789

ydoethur said:

Perhaps we've reached a plateau where the technology itself is much safer and therefore the number of deaths is due to sheer bad driving? How many accidents are now caused by burst tyres, failed brakes or ignition fires compared to stupid overtaking or drunkenness compared to 1970?
    This was discussed at length on my most recent Speed Awareness course. The conclusion was that all the easy gains had now been made, and from here on it's just a question improving driving standards.

That's not easily done.
    A big factor in the reduction since 1970 is the change in attitudes to drinking.
    "One for the road"?
  • Options
    #F1

Le Clerc just hit evens but when I logged in it was gone. So I've offered up my own evens and it's getting nibbled into. Nobody undercut me please.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

It’s another illustration that Dominic Cummings ain’t that bright. First, any would-be rebel will already have factored in their likely expulsion. And secondly, the threat to overrule supportive local parties is going to be badly received and is of very questionable legality. It shows how weak the centre is, not how strong.
  • Options

#F1

Le Clerc just hit evens but when I logged in it was gone. So I've offered up my own evens and it's getting nibbled into. Nobody undercut me please.

Okay - I'm on Le Clerc at evens (before commission, natch).

Let's hope he doesn't bottle it this time.
  • Options

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Happily so too. A most beautiful country, and populated by a people who are the most fun to wind up on the planet.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    edited August 2019
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=INR&to=BDT&view=10Y

If India is doing so well relative to Bangladesh, then how come 1 INR which was equal to 1.72 BDT in February 2012 is now 1 INR = 1.18 BDT today. Why such a slide in just 7 years.
    Bangladesh is the fastest growing economy in South Asia and the idea that Bangladeshis, particularly Muslims, will migrate to India [ particularly the very poor Eastern states ] is a fiction. This is nothing but a Hindu Nationalist BJP agenda [ opposed by almost all political parties in India ]. More so, after Amit Shah, the butcher of Gujarat became Home MInister recently. You have to ask why Modi and Amit Shah were banned from entering the UK and US for 9 years.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/concerns-about-modis-rise-to-power-2014-5?r=US&IR=T
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-narendra-modi-was-banned-from-the-u-s-1399062010
    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/No-entry-for-Modi-into-US-visa-denied/articleshow/1055543.cms

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Boris playing chicken:
    hps://youtu.be/u7hZ9jKrwvo
    I just googled to see what became of Sal Mineo. Has there ever been a more ill-fated trio?

• Options
    Mango said:

Really? You don't think it would be easier for Tory grandees to simply go along with current shite, and carry on guzzling if the swill is all they care about?

You may reference Hancock or Rudd in your answer, if you like.
    It must be said that for pro-EU British politicians, the EU and its patronage represent a potentially lucrative second career. Many of those currently fighting tooth and nail against Brexit stand to lose a good deal financially if UK citizens can longer benefit from EU patronage. This may not be their primary motivation, but it would be a strange person who wasn't frustrated to see their reward for years of assiduous support for the EU project evaporate in one democratic event.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

The Survation VI numbers are close to the YouGov numbers which many mean the period of polling volatility is easing as Boris establishes a solid lead but the vagaries of UNS or USE-less as I call it (Uniform Swing Estimation) make it harder to quantify that nice majority for which Johnson supporters are yearning.

They are pretty identical really:
    i.e.
    Survation (UK) Con 31, Lab 24, LD 21, Brexit 14, SNP 4, Plaid 1, Green 3, Other 3.
    YouGov (GB) Con 33, Lab 22, LD 21, Brexit 12, SNP 4, Plaid 1, Green 7, Other 1.

With Survation, Greens are down to 3% and there is next to no remaining scope for Lab (or LD) to advance by squeezing the Greens. Survation but not YouGov prompt for Greens so the difference in Green share readily explains their higher Lab share.

The combined Con/Brexit share of 45 is identical in both polls, although it would be about 46.2% on a GB basis with Survation, and the Con share would be about 0.8% higher. There is a lot of potential still for a Brexit Party squeeze to boost Con - both companies prompt still for the BP.
    I mean YouGov but not Survation prompt for Greens.
    Good analysis, thanks! What we don't know here is how far the Lab/LD vote varies by constituency (both for demographic/traditional reasons and deliberate tactical voting). 43-45% (46-50% with Greens) would be a scary bloc for the Tories if they all concentrated in each seat, which of course they won't. But that 7-11% lead is not what it seems, unless the Tories are lucky enough that Lab and LD voters split exactly equally in every seat.

The same applies to the BXP vote, as you say, though it seems fairly sticky - what on earth does Johnson have to do to squeeze it down to 5??
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    FF43 said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:
    Bloody Corbyn. Subjugating the freedom of the individual to the whims of the State...hang on.
    I missed the previous one

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1167752369561624577

So Government managed Food Banks and rationing here we come.
    As I stated last night, I recommend Oxo and Knorr for stock piling.
    I do need stock cubes. Are they subject to Brexit disruptable just-in-time supply chains too?
    They're subject to panic-buying, like everything else in the shops!
  • Options
    "The same applies to the BXP vote, as you say, though it seems fairly sticky - what on earth does Johnson have to do to squeeze it down to 5??"

Off Farage perhaps. But I'm pro-Farage so let's hope he doesn't.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Chris said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:
    Bloody Corbyn. Subjugating the freedom of the individual to the whims of the State...hang on.

I do need stock cubes. Are they subject to Brexit disruptable just-in-time supply chains too?
    Two people missing the joke now...when will it end.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,832
    I’d not have believed I would ever write such a thing, but I actually prefer Adamstoon’s cartoon from yesterday.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,284
    Old Adam was the bright spark who asked why businesses should have to pay tax when they don't have a vote. Future leader of the SCons? Ouch indeed.
  • Options

It’s another illustration that Dominic Cummings ain’t that bright. First, any would-be rebel will already have factored in their likely expulsion. And secondly, the threat to overrule supportive local parties is going to be badly received and is of very questionable legality. It shows how weak the centre is, not how strong.
    I think it's boiling down to a a 'route 1' mindset Alastair. The 'story' is;

"Parliament has had its chance, and a fat lot of good they've been. The Government is just delivering on the referendum. We want a deal, but if that's not available then no-deal delivers the referendum result equally well. "

That's a pretty straightforwards thing, Moreover there's some truth wrapped up in it.

Now I've no idea whether this sort of narrowing is intentional, but if it is then I think it's not a stupid plan, and in fact I think its rather straightforwards.

I'm actually quite surprised that the LDs (and others) haven't switched to a full-on rejoin campaign. I think it very likely indeed that we could secure a rejoin clause from the EU, and a very nice one too.

The pro-EU forces can then just campaign on a positive message. 'Take up the rejoin offer'. You wouldn't win now, but you may well do so within a few years.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Chris said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

This is too serious a matter for joking.

I have a serious surplus of Oxo reduced salt chicken and could do with some Knorr beef. If anyone would like to barter, perhaps we could set up a stock exchange?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

The Survation VI numbers are close to the YouGov numbers which many mean the period of polling volatility is easing as Boris establishes a solid lead but the vagaries of UNS or USE-less as I call it (Uniform Swing Estimation) make it harder to quantify that nice majority for which Johnson supporters are yearning.

They are pretty identical really:
    i.e.
    Survation (UK) Con 31, Lab 24, LD 21, Brexit 14, SNP 4, Plaid 1, Green 3, Other 3.
    YouGov (GB) Con 33, Lab 22, LD 21, Brexit 12, SNP 4, Plaid 1, Green 7, Other 1.

With Survation, Greens are down to 3% and there is next to no remaining scope for Lab (or LD) to advance by squeezing the Greens. Survation but not YouGov prompt for Greens so the difference in Green share readily explains their higher Lab share.

The combined Con/Brexit share of 45 is identical in both polls, although it would be about 46.2% on a GB basis with Survation, and the Con share would be about 0.8% higher. There is a lot of potential still for a Brexit Party squeeze to boost Con - both companies prompt still for the BP.
    I mean YouGov but not Survation prompt for Greens.
    Good analysis, thanks! What we don't know here is how far the Lab/LD vote varies by constituency (both for demographic/traditional reasons and deliberate tactical voting). 43-45% (46-50% with Greens) would be a scary bloc for the Tories if they all concentrated in each seat, which of course they won't. But that 7-11% lead is not what it seems, unless the Tories are lucky enough that Lab and LD voters split exactly equally in every seat.

The same applies to the BXP vote, as you say, though it seems fairly sticky - what on earth does Johnson have to do to squeeze it down to 5??
    I don't think it is as bad as it looks for the Tories. You might well say Brexit Party in a poll, but faced with the actual risk of letting Labour in in the voting booth think twice. But that also applies the other way to the Labour inclined Brexit supporters who must be reasonably numerous even if we all ignore them.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

Chris said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

I have a serious surplus of Oxo reduced salt chicken and could do with some Knorr beef. If anyone would like to barter, perhaps we could set up a stock exchange?
    27, 64 and 125 are my stock cubes.

Also new thread.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,284
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Happily so too. A most beautiful country, and populated by a people who are the most fun to wind up on the planet.
    I thought that was Brexiteers?
    Though perhaps because we have a proportionally smaller number up here it's just the novelty value.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Mortimer said:

Chris said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

That pun is pure gravy.

I'll get my coat and go to the new thread.
  • Options

(Radical culling to just one phrase.)

If India is doing so well relative to Bangladesh, then how come

India is evolving in a certain way and Bangladesh is too. I don't know much about this, so I'll tell you my thoughts, and they may be right or wrong.

India is trying to find a way to be governed. They have hanging over them this weird period where a small number of white people somehow arrived at an almost magical government in some ways. Exploitation isn't though a basis for stability.

Bangladesh is way younger. A most astonishing country. They just need to choose to build their country.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    England needs regional parliaments within a federal UK. There would be absolutely no point in an English Assembly.
This discussion has been closed.