Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just because TMay found it easy getting MPs to the vote for GE

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

viewcode said:

The Queen can appoint whatever PM she damn well pleases, down to and including the Downing Street cat. Admittedly that would not be a good idea, but she can do it,

You say that..

The Downing Street cat is indeed practically an elder statesman thesedays, I say we give him a chance.

Is each and every voter in the last GE not also responsible then, since we voted in such a bunch of incompetents and a hung parliament to boot?

Yes, but moreso in the sense that we reward the behaviours that lead to such chaos, division and inability to compromise, as well as behaviours to be reckless and partisan, and punish behaviours that would do the opposite.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

Brom said:

eek said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

The sort of advice that it's unwise to ignore though.
    You miss the essential point. If it was advisory, and it was, it is envisaged that in some circumstances that advice should be set aside.

What are those circumstances? Surely it is when events have moved so differently from prior expectations that it is very doubtful that advice would have been given.

We are in exactly that position. Few seriously argue that a Leave campaign based around no deal would have won.

So there is no mandate.
    Your argument doesn’t follow

What you have said is that a case can be made to set aside the referendum

It doesn’t imply that “there is no mandate”: it implies that a politician who was brave enough should ignore the result and justify his/her decision to the voters
    Given the public has been consulted once, if events have moved on it should be consulted again.
    Sure. A “Deal or no deal” vote would be an entirely legitimate way to break the impasse
    Given that we don't seem to have an acceptable deal due to the Backstop a "Revoke or No Deal" vote seems to be the only solution to this.
    Nope. “Remain” has been voted down: it doesn’t get another go

If MPs are unable or unwilling to fulfil their duty then the question (deal or no deal) can I suppose be put back to the voters.
    Remain wasn't on the table in the first referendum - the options were Cameron's deal or leave the EU (with a deal as Leave explicitly ruled out No Deal whenever it was mentioned).

So a Revoke or No Deal referendum offers just about the only two options out of this mess and neither option was on the original referendum.
    Revoke is not an option or a solution. You simply cannot have any type of remain on a referendum without having enacted the result of the previous one. I firmly believe it will be either a deal or no deal, and that's how it needs to be to avoid further erosion of public faith in democracy.
    How do you overcome the situation that almost or just over half of MPs may well insist on remain being an option? There's no point to one other than to remain in a great many peoples' eyes, it would not matter if there were cast iron logic that remain should not be an option.
    Which is why it hasn’t been supported by the Commons so far
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

History will not be kind to any of the 650 in the HOC today nor in the HOL

History will not give a monkeys about the MPs. Very few of them are known. The leaders OTOH... :D:D

I do wonder how the current Conservative party will be viewed for its active pursuit of the buffoon now in No. 10.

Labour is just going through another of its Militant Tendancy phases. The timing, however, is beyond dreadful.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,851

Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

You miss the essential point. If it was advisory, and it was, it is envisaged that in some circumstances that advice should be set aside.

What are those circumstances? Surely it is when events have moved so differently from prior expectations that it is very doubtful that advice would have been given.

We are in exactly that position. Few seriously argue that a Leave campaign based around no deal would have won.

So there is no mandate.

It doesn’t imply that “there is no mandate”: it implies that a politician who was brave enough should ignore the result and justify his/her decision to the voters
    Given the public has been consulted once, if events have moved on it should be consulted again.
    Sure. A “Deal or no deal” vote would be an entirely legitimate way to break the impasse
    Given that we don't seem to have an acceptable deal due to the Backstop a "Revoke or No Deal" vote seems to be the only solution to this.

If MPs are unable or unwilling to fulfil their duty then the question (deal or no deal) can I suppose be put back to the voters.
    I think Remain will get another go though.
    Possibly yes, but that is a political decision by MPs that will have a cost. It’s also setting aside the largest act of popular democracy in recent history
    1992 election had 77.7% turnout.
    ...and was completely set aside in May 1997 :smile:
    1992 votes 33,614,074
    2016 votes 33,577,342
    I know, I checked...

But I didn't know before you pointed out the 1992 turnout figure.

Really surprised tbh but facts is facts. More people voted for John Major versus Neil Kinnock than could be arsed about the EU.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,345

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

So there is no mandate.

There is no mandate for No Deal
    There is only one mandate from the referendum- to leave. You may not have expected or hoped or planned to leave without a deal but the vote you cast encompassed that possibility
    No it didnt

Millions of Leavers will not accept No Deal as an acceptable outcome.

Wasnt even seen as a remote possibility when we voted

As you know I am not known for repetition but

As a Remainer I believed the potential for armageddon in the event of a win for Leave, it was spelled out to me by Messrs Cameron and Osborne. I took their predictions seriously and I voted accordingly. It does not surprise me that Yellowhammer suggests similar conclusions.

Messrs Johnson and Farage and their acolytes claimed the stories of food shortages were a conspiracy by the elite and they dubbed it 'Project Fear'. Today Mr Farage states the only true Brexit is No Deal. I didn't believe Johnson and Farage then and I don't now. I knew what I was voting against. Any Leave voter who claims they weren't voting for No Deal just wasn't paying attention.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,010
    timmo said:

viewcode said:

Anyhoo, to cheer you all up, here's an upcoming film about Henry V. Given the cast I thought it would be shit, but it looks....weirdly good? Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUrZ0uCaGTc

Substitute Henry for Boris...
    Nahh. Boris is Falstaff. "How ill white hairs become a fool and jester..."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How does Boris react? Does he need something concrete to pool the wool over the eyes of those of his MPs flirting with the idea of backing that move out of fear of no deal, so he can tell them it is not necessary because he totally will get a deal you guys?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

So there is no mandate.

Possibly yes, but that is a political decision by MPs that will have a cost. It’s also setting aside the largest act of popular democracy in recent history
    Superseding not setting aside. Just as each GE supersedes the previous one.
    They are different

A GE constitutes a house of local representatives

the referendum was referring a particularly significant question to the public for instruction

To say “we don’t like your answer please vote again” is to set aside
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,228

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Unless the opposition parties are able to VONC Boris successfully they cannot stop him refusing to extend again on October 31st as Head of the Executive branch, if the Opposition parties do manage to VONC Boris successfully a general election is inevitable unless an alternative PM.can be found in 14 days

They can be voting through an Act of Parliament that doesn't allow for a No Deal Brexit.

That also appears to be the initial plan for next week onwards.
    If I were drafting it, I would empower a new person, possibly the Speaker, to negotiate on behalf of Britain on the question of whether to extend the Article 50 period and to act on Britain’s behalf. Boris Johnson would have nothing to do.
    Unconstitutional, Boris is head of the Executive branch not Bercow who is merely speaker of the legislature.

The Queen appointed Boris not Bercow her Chief Minister in July
    The scope of the Prime Minister’s powers are a matter for Parliament. There is nothing unconstitutional about Parliament redefining them.

NB “unconstitutional” is suspending democracy, as your hero repeatedly refuses to rule out trying to do.
    I do hope you are giving your advice pro bono to whoever is charged with the drafting ......
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    FF43 said:

Ben - in truth each and every mp is responsible for this mess

Blaming MPs for the mess is a little easy in my view. Brexit itself is the intractable mess. Unsurprisingly MPs don't agree on how to deal with it, just like the country at large. Some think we should carry on with the mess because we voted for it; some think messes should be prevented; some think any mess has nothing to do with them.
    The blame lies with the leaders who got us into this mess, Cameron most of all, but Johnson, Hague, May and Gove are all culpable. And many more to a lesser degree. History will not be kind to them, and rightly so.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 803
    To quote myself from 10 August:

When Parliament returns in September, it should focus on taking as much control as possible over proceedings before moving to a confidence vote. I would say the order of priorities should be:

1) Take control over the order papers: this will surely be possible as Grieve, Cooper et al have shown themselves to be very capable of taking advantage of the grey areas in our constitution, and Bercow has shown himself to be an umpire that favours Parliament over the government

2) Attempt to get primary legislation passed that ties the government's hands, e.g. forcing an extension. Learn the lessons from the ambiguity in the previous law where May was not forced to accept the EU counter-offer

3) Remove the Recess for party conferences: taking three weeks off for parties to discuss policy when we will be only six weeks from a major crisis would be rightly seen as highly irresponsible. Use the time to continue working on the primary legislation needed.

The VONC should then be the final effort in early October if the above does not succeed. This would mean the options have narrowed completely to "government of national unity to extend" or "have an election a month after no-deal Brexit", which should focus minds substantially.
    Very happy to see the opposition's plan matches the above closely.

The hardest part will be designing legislation that gives Johnson no leeway in the way May had.

The key advantages the opposition has as a unified force in controlling the parliamentary agenda are 1) they collectively have far more experience as senior MPs than the government, 2) we have an unwritten constitution that means convention can change, and 3) Bercow is clearly on the side of Parliament over the executive, particular regarding Brexit.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Scott_P said:
    Both sides making two slightly different points, but it is clear that no changes to the WA are going to happen. The ball is still in Boris's court.

Nothing has changed.
    How is that clear to you? I honestly can't see how you can think that. It doesn't say the WA is closed and cannot be reopened. It doesn't say the backstop is indespensable. It virtually tells Boris to go away and agree something with the Irish and it will get the EU's blessing.
    Anything Boris comes up with has to be "... compatible with the Withdrawal Agreement ..." (2nd paragraph, left hand side)

That means the current WA as it is the only one. No mention of a new one or changing it.
    And would still want the backstop until such technical solution is proven. It’s bloody ridiculous that something which only kicks in in the event of no FTA within two years is not supported by leavers, PT may understand it but really it’s only cover forTBP Con deal. Farage says every single Tory candidate most support crash out fuck everybody up make loads of money for my mates brexit or they will stand in 65o seats and Johnson is more interested in the future of the Conservative party than the country. May they rot in hell
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

So there is no mandate.

They are different

the referendum was referring a particularly significant question to the public for instruction

If even the potential of setting it aside upset MPs at all they could have made following the instruction a requirement, it's a bit late in the day to whinge about the way the law works with referendums now.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    kle4 said:

Is each and every voter in the last GE not also responsible then, since we voted in such a bunch of incompetents and a hung parliament to boot?

Yes, but moreso in the sense that we reward the behaviours that lead to such chaos, division and inability to compromise, as well as behaviours to be reckless and partisan, and punish behaviours that would do the opposite.
    With the exception of we high-minded individuals on PB obviously! :lol:
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It feels like a very long time ago now that Leavers kept quacking on about Parliamentary sovereignty.

Parliamentary sovereign is not about parliament trying to unbalance the constitution

These things have evolved in a way that broadly works.

There is a very simple process available to Parliament if they don’t like the executive’s policy: a VONC.

Everything else is bullshit because they don’t want to follow the rules
    The Fixed Term Parliaments Act gives them options. They’re taking them.
    Passing a law to instruct the executive to act in a certain way is not one of them
    Why not? Your only argument seems to be that you don’t like the idea.
    Because it is the executive’s role to propose legislation

I believe in the separation of powers
    MPs have always been able to propose legislation. Next!
    Not to control the timetable and ram it through. A private members bill has a quite different purpose
    During the pre-Referendum debate, when it was mostly Eurosceptics arguing with Euroenthusiasts about constitutional matters (oh, happy days), it was stated by the sceptics that the European Parliament did not have the power of legislative initiative and hence was undemocratic. I pointed out that the UK Parliament did not have such power, with the exception of private member's bills (PMB). In response they reassured me that LEAVE was about Parliamentary sovereignty and that we should, to coin a phrase, Vote Leave and Take Control

Now, three years later, we have the Member for Elderly Christchurch Perverts vetoing PMBs because he thinks only Government should initiate legislation, and Leavers of every stripe trying every trick known down to and including prorogation to prevent Parliament having the power of legislative initiative.
    I don’t believe I would have argued it was about Parliamentary sovereignty
    Happy to believe you. But it might have been a good idea if you had said that at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQ99s4Ywnw
    In my view previous parliament’s had exceeded their powers by permanently delegating rights to the EU without proper authorisation. Unfortunately when we were asked for retrospective consent the only option was to leave the whole rather than to unwind the overreach
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The Downing Street cat is indeed practically an elder statesman thesedays, I say we give him a chance

I thought the cat changed, but they are all called Larry? A bit like the many faces of 007 - half a dozen actors but only only James

I will miss Daniel Craig when he stops doing it.... *sigh!*

• Options
    Why do some people say "Bregsit" instead of Brexit?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

Omnium said:

Boris Johnson voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3 despite reservations about the backstop etc while diehard Remainers still voted against the Withdrawal Agreement knowing full well that increased the chances of No Deal.

The future relationship could have been decided in the transition period once the Withdrawal Agreement was passed as the political declaration was not binding.

Diehard Remainers have only themselves to blame for No Deal, I have no sympathy whatsoever for them
    Agreed. Their position is dishonest and undemocratic. It’s embarrassing seeing people go into bat for such hypocrisy.
    Pretty much all of the Remainers on here were willing to accept May's Deal as I recall. No one in the country voted for No Deal.
    Unfortunately it was the remainers in Parliament who voted against it.
    Nor I, in the same boat. But notwithstanding that, if the ERG and DUP dingbats had voted for it I believe it would ultimately have got through. The peer pressure on Tory Remainers plus the Labour Leavers would have been enough.

The ERG though were working for No Deal all along. They may yet get it but they will only have themselves to blame if they fail.
    And we will have remainers to blame if they succeed.
    Good luck with trying to pin the woes of a No Deal Brexit on Remainers.
    Harsh on such party stalwarts as my MP Simon Hoare who has always toed the party line.
    Each and every mp is responsible as clearly demonstrated and evidenced by their inability to arrive at a concensus

History will not be kind to any of the 650 in the HOC today nor in the HOL
    No - they are required to deal with this
  • Options

Your xuess is as xood as mine.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Unless the opposition parties are able to VONC Boris successfully they cannot stop him refusing to extend again on October 31st as Head of the Executive branch, if the Opposition parties do manage to VONC Boris successfully a general election is inevitable unless an alternative PM.can be found in 14 days

They can be voting through an Act of Parliament that doesn't allow for a No Deal Brexit.

If I were drafting it, I would empower a new person, possibly the Speaker, to negotiate on behalf of Britain on the question of whether to extend the Article 50 period and to act on Britain’s behalf. Boris Johnson would have nothing to do.
    Unconstitutional, Boris is head of the Executive branch not Bercow who is merely speaker of the legislature.

The scope of the Prime Minister’s powers are a matter for Parliament. There is nothing unconstitutional about Parliament redefining them.

NB “unconstitutional” is suspending democracy, as your hero repeatedly refuses to rule out trying to do.
    I do hope you are giving your advice pro bono to whoever is charged with the drafting ......
    Far better brains than mine will be working on this.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It feels like a very long time ago now that Leavers kept quacking on about Parliamentary sovereignty.

Parliamentary sovereign is not about parliament trying to unbalance the constitution

There is a very simple process available to Parliament if they don’t like the executive’s policy: a VONC.

Passing a law to instruct the executive to act in a certain way is not one of them

Not to control the timetable and ram it through. A private members bill has a quite different purpose
    Now, three years later, we have the Member for Elderly Christchurch Perverts vetoing PMBs because he thinks only Government should initiate legislation, and Leavers of every stripe trying every trick known down to and including prorogation to prevent Parliament having the power of legislative initiative.
    Happy to believe you. But it might have been a good idea if you had said that at the time

In my view previous parliament’s had exceeded their powers by permanently delegating rights to the EU without proper authorisation. Unfortunately when we were asked for retrospective consent the only option was to leave the whole rather than to unwind the overreach
    If we had had the planned referendum on Lisbon, we would have voted it down and a lot of people would have felt they had had their eurosceptic say. The EU would have likely become a lot more responsive to UK concerns.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Far better brains than mine will be working on this.
    I notice you have a mention in the Wiki FTPA page :smile:
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Scott_P said:
    Both sides making two slightly different points, but it is clear that no changes to the WA are going to happen. The ball is still in Boris's court.

Nothing has changed.
    How is that clear to you? I honestly can't see how you can think that. It doesn't say the WA is closed and cannot be reopened. It doesn't say the backstop is indespensable. It virtually tells Boris to go away and agree something with the Irish and it will get the EU's blessing.
    Anything Boris comes up with has to be "... compatible with the Withdrawal Agreement ..." (2nd paragraph, left hand side)

That means the current WA as it is the only one. No mention of a new one or changing it.
    And would still want the backstop until such technical solution is proven. It’s bloody ridiculous that something which only kicks in in the event of no FTA within two years is not supported by leavers, PT may understand it but really it’s only cover forTBP Con deal. Farage says every single Tory candidate most support crash out fuck everybody up make loads of money for my mates brexit or they will stand in 65o seats and Johnson is more interested in the future of the Conservative party than the country. May they rot in hell
    The English Nationalists pushing Brexit are living, breathing proof that "Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels"
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

If we had had the planned referendum on Lisbon, we would have voted it down and a lot of people would have felt they had had their eurosceptic say. The EU would have likely become a lot more responsive to UK concerns.
    I doubt many would disagree with you now... but calling on our inner Cher is not going to solve it, sadly
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    timmo said:

Things are going to get funny when the conference recess motion isnt passed.
    Hearing CCHQ are making plans for a shortened conference.

It's an open secret that most MPs don't attend party conference anyway, except for the ambitious who go for the leader's speech, and the nerdy ones like me who used to like the obscure fringe debates. Everyone else has heard it all before dozens of times and really the number of times you want to revisit the Gibraltar and Post Office stands is limited.

The fringe events are usually interesting, but most for rank and file members, who get a chance to ask a question of a Cabinet Minister and generally get a more fun time than leafleting Little Snodding for the 17th time.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798

FF43 said:

Blaming MPs for the mess is a little easy in my view. Brexit itself is the intractable mess. Unsurprisingly MPs don't agree on how to deal with it, just like the country at large. Some think we should carry on with the mess because we voted for it; some think messes should be prevented; some think any mess has nothing to do with them.
    The blame lies with the leaders who got us into this mess, Cameron most of all, but Johnson, Hague, May and Gove are all culpable. And many more to a lesser degree. History will not be kind to them, and rightly so.
    Cameron definitely will go down as one of the worst PMs ever. Which is a shame in some ways as he's a moderate man. May if she's remembered at all will be seen as someone who failed to overcome an insurmountable problem. Johnson we'll see. He deserves the biggest blame but the kindness of history isn't fair.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Scott_P said:

Nothing has changed.

The English Nationalists pushing Brexit are living, breathing proof that "Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels"
    Hear hear!

Patriotism - what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.
  • Options

timmo said:

It's an open secret that most MPs don't attend party conference anyway, except for the ambitious who go for the leader's speech, and the nerdy ones like me who used to like the obscure fringe debates. Everyone else has heard it all before dozens of times and really the number of times you want to revisit the Gibraltar and Post Office stands is limited.

The fringe events are usually interesting, but most for rank and file members, who get a chance to ask a question of a Cabinet Minister and generally get a more fun time than leafleting Little Snodding for the 17th time.

That'll just make MPs even madder then - their additional holiday time ruined.
  • Options

timmo said:

Do you think they'll be canned this year Nick?
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

FF43 said:

You seem to have forgotten Blair and Brown, oh and Corbyn too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

So there is no mandate.

They are different

If even the potential of setting it aside upset MPs at all they could have made following the instruction a requirement, it's a bit late in the day to whinge about the way the law works with referendums now.
    I’m not whinging. I’m stating a view it would be unDemocratic and there would be a political cost.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,731

Cos 'Exit' is pronounced 'Egzit' not 'Ex-it'.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

You mismandate.

They are different

I’m not whinging. I’m stating a view it would be unDemocratic and there would be a political cost.
    Not you whinging, MPs whinging about will of the people, when they know referendums do not just remove parliamentary authority.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,282
    Even the Yoons are turning against Broony (though Daisley has gone full 'it was devolution that started it' ultra).

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1166444813337673733?s=20
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting that one of them signs their signature as " MP" (upper right section)
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Scott_P said:
    Interesting that one of them signs their signature as " MP" (upper right section)
    Several of them infact, slightly more readable.

Dr Lisa Cameron MP(?)
    Caroline Lucas MP

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Cameron definitely will go down as one of the worst PMs ever. Which is a shame in some ways as he's a moderate man. May if she's remembered at all will be seen as someone who failed to overcome an insurmountable problem. Johnson we'll see. He deserves the biggest blame but the kindness of history isn't fair.
    Cameron's hand was on the tiller when the ship went down so inevitably he must shoulder the heaviest burden of blame. Little attention will be paid to the rest of his career - who remembers Chamberlain's record and Minister of Health or Eden's successful Foreign Secretaryship? Their reputations are shaped by a single disastrous misjudgement which ended their careers, and Cameron will suffer the same fate.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

timmo said:

They certainly have been in the past when Autumn elections were called - eg 1959 - 1964 - 1974.
  • Options

timmo said:

Can they afford to can them? Many of these events are paid for by sponsors hosting events such as dinner seats for £300 etc. If the conferences are cancelled, what are the cash flow implications?
  • Options

No. Maybe shortened, but who can resist the coverage maybe just before an election? And the party unity will be a wonder. :)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    edited August 2019
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

So there is no mandate.

There is only one mandate from the referendum- to leave. You may not have expected or hoped or planned to leave without a deal but the vote you cast encompassed that possibility
    You cannot simply ignore the context in which the vote took place. You can try to claim that there is a mandate for No Deal but would you not concede that that has a hollow ring to it when the leave campaign fought the referendum on promises that we would only leave with a deal? Go down that route and you have forsaken any claim to the "democratic" moral high ground .

How do you square the idea that No Deal does have a mandate with the fact that most of the people now making that claim screamed blue murder and threatened civil unrest when it was suggested that joining EFTA fulfilled the referendum mandate?

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Scott_P said:
    Oh diddums. Boris has 2 options:-

1) bring Parliament (as a whole) with him
    2) negotiate as best he can while Parliament ensure No Deal isn't an option.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I am confident that many people will not notice the headline about The Saj...
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    edited August 2019
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I quite liked Cameron in many ways but he is the architect of this mess. The critical flaw was to commit to implementing the result of a referendum in which one of the options was not defined. The current chaos stems from there. If Cameron had bothered to think the process through much of what has followed could have been avoided. As it was he was just concerned with spiking UKIP's guns.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

Scott_P said:
    HYFUD will have a poll for it
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,010
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

During the pre-Referendum debate, when it was mostly Eurosceptics arguing with Euroenthusiasts about constitutional matters (oh, happy days), it was stated by the sceptics that the European Parliament did not have the power of legislative initiative and hence was undemocratic. I pointed out that the UK Parliament did not have such power, with the exception of private member's bills (PMB). In response they reassured me that LEAVE was about Parliamentary sovereignty and that we should, to coin a phrase, Vote Leave and Take Control

Fair point.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    HYFUD will have a poll for it
    LOL
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    edited August 2019
    @Brom:

There is a difference of course between unsatisfactory and unjust. A second referendum leads to a third referendum and is therefore not a solution.

@dixiedean:

Agreed. I hope we never have a referendum ever, ever again. I am trying to find a way through the fact that the majority of MPs want, if truth be told, a second referendum with Remain on the ballot. And squaring that circle with actually leaving to ensure the first is actioned.
    We are where I would ideally not like to be, but where we are.
    Others are simply repeating "Vote for the Deal!". But the Deal is not coming back. Boris would be insane to introduce it, and has no guarantee of it passing. If it did pass Farage would scream betrayal and the Tories would be finished. Ditto an extension.
    An extension forced by Parliament simply kicks the can.
    A GE would likely produce another hung Parliament in my view, and therefore solve nowt.
    No Deal lacks popular legitimacy. And NO MPs were elected on that basis.
    A new, different Deal looks exceedingly unlikely in the short time we have.

The only logical answer is to Leave, on condition that a referendum is pencilled in for a date some time in the very near future to either confirm or deny. (And even that would need the EU to acquiesce on the terms of re-entry).
  • Options

Since when??
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Since when??
    Be ironic if it was since Brexit.
  • Options

Since when??
    Since about 21:57 this evening
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

Since when??
    The penny hasn't dropped!!??

The suspicious gap in the service on the PenWhatever line between 10:15 and 10:45 on that monday morning. Spilling over to some disarray for the rest of the week, particularly on any services using the PenThinggy cutting!

Everyone else has agreed! Sorry.

We all thought you'd know though! It was all so obvious!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I'm interested to understand why you feel that's such a bad thing @Charles?
    Because you need to have an executive with the freedom to act (within its remit) as it sees fit and to be judged accordingly by the electorate.

The role of Parliament is represent the electorate in (I) approving or rejecting legislation; (ii) granting supply and authorising taxes; and (iii) generally holding the Executive to account.

Instructing the Executive to follow a specific course of action is something it was not designed to do and is outwith its powers.
    The public elects a Parliament (well HoC), not an Executive... Parliament chooses the Executive. Parliament is sovereign and if Parliament chooses to pass a law instructing the Executive to a course of action, so be it.

I cannot see the problem with that but if you could give me an example where it would be a 'bad thing' I'd be prepared to change my view.
    Parliament doesn’t chose the executive

An executive is chosen by the Crown, subject to the requirement that it has the confidence of the House of Commons

You could design a political system where ministers are more bureaucrats rather than having executive authority (the Swiss system comes close) but it’s not the one we have.

Parliament has shown on multiple occasions over the last few years that it’s really not good with big executive decisions
    Hahaha "An executive is chosen by the Crown..." We all know that's a polite fiction - the Queen can only choose the executive the HoC allows her to.
    Legal fictions are not fictions. The Queen can appoint whatever PM she damn well pleases, down to and including the Downing Street cat. Admittedly that would not be a good idea, but she can do it,
    At this point Larry the Cat sounds better than any of the alternatives.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Because you need to have an executive with the freedom to act (within its remit) as it sees fit and to be judged accordingly by the electorate.

The role of Parliament is represent the electorate in (I) approving or rejecting legislation; (ii) granting supply and authorising taxes; and (iii) generally holding the Executive to account.

Instructing the Executive to follow a specific course of action is something it was not designed to do and is outwith its powers.
    The public elects a Parliament (well HoC), not an Executive... Parliament chooses the Executive. Parliament is sovereign and if Parliament chooses to pass a law instructing the Executive to a course of action, so be it.

I cannot see the problem with that but if you could give me an example where it would be a 'bad thing' I'd be prepared to change my view.

Parliament has shown on multiple occasions over the last few years that it’s really not good with big executive decisions
    Hahaha "An executive is chosen by the Crown..." We all know that's a polite fiction - the Queen can only choose the executive the HoC allows her to.
    Legal fictions are not fictions. The Queen can appoint whatever PM she damn well pleases, down to and including the Downing Street cat. Admittedly that would not be a good idea, but she can do it,
    Purr-fectly reasonable.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_P said:

Good publicity for Corbyn, anyway. I know we're all being virtuous and above party, but it makes a change from people whinging about him being indecisive and ineffective.
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_P said:

Good publicity for Corbyn, anyway. I know we're all being virtuous and above party, but it makes a change from people whinging about him being indecisive and ineffective.
    And a change from hearing how desperate he is for No Deal.
  • Options

I never whinge about Corbyn being indecisive and ineffective Nick. I whinge about the Labour Party being indecisive and ineffective in getting rid of him and purging the militants and entryists.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442

Scott_P said:
    I'm confused. Is Javid not now writing a cheque to the woman on the right?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Ok. I don't trust Jezza one inch, but just maybe we are getting somewhere in stopping No Deal.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The public elects a change my view.

An executive is chosen by the Crown, subject to the requirement that it has the confidence of the House of Commons

You could design a political system where ministers are more bureaucrats rather than having executive authority (the Swiss system comes close) but it’s not the one we have.

But open it up to Larry and we just get similarly partisan debates - I'm definitely more of a Palmerston man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmerston_(cat)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

eek said:

Scott_P said:

I'd hate to see his bad publicity.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

I never whinge about Corbyn being indecisive and ineffective Nick. I whinge about the Labour Party being indecisive and ineffective in getting rid of him and purging the militants and entryists.
    :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But open it up to Larry and we just get similarly partisan debates - I'm definitely more of a Palmerston man.

Any cat would be better. My dog would give it a damn good go. Even the blasted squirrel in my garden would probably make a better fist of governing the country. I notice, incidentally, that he’s started his stockpiling much earlier than usual.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If Boris offers Corbyn an election as soon as possible, I don't expect he'll be able to resist the temptation.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Charles said:

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

So there is no mandate.

1992 election had 77.7% turnout.
    ...and was completely set aside in May 1997 :smile:
    1992 votes 33,614,074
    2016 votes 33,577,342
    I know, I checked...

But I didn't know before you pointed out the 1992 turnout figure.

Really surprised tbh but facts is facts. More people voted for John Major versus Neil Kinnock than could be arsed about the EU.
    I believe the electorate was also smaller. Correct ?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    AndyJS said:

If Boris offers Corbyn an election as soon as possible, I don't expect he'll be able to resist the temptation.

I think he will turn Johnson down.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It seems difficult to believe given he is a man in a hurry and the million times he has demanded one.

But maybe the tectonic plates are moving over No Deal?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I’m just waiting for the mice rights party to make an appearance...
  • Options
    Bury expelled from EFL. Bolton given 14 day notice to quit, but don't have funds to pay administrators. Likely liquidation tomorrow.
    Sad day.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Bury expelled from EFL. Bolton given 14 day notice to quit, but don't have funds to pay administrators. Likely liquidation tomorrow.
    Sad day.

Edit: Maybe not. But funds are not presently there to keep the show on the road for 14 days.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    edited August 2019

Even the Yoons are turning against Broony (though Daisley has gone full 'it was devolution that started it' ultra).

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1166444813337673733?s=20

He's said some pretty unhelpful things about Brexit too that completely buy in to Brexiteer criticisms of Cameron.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2019
    New article by (in my opinion) one of the best writers around today, John Gray.

https://unherd.com/2019/08/why-the-humanities-cant-be-saved/

• Options
    AndyJS said:

New article by (in my opinion) one of the best writers around today, John Gray.

https://unherd.com/2019/08/why-the-humanities-cant-be-saved/

I hear you. And it sounds like Waah, Waah, Waah, those horrible people don't agree with me.
    Bless the snowflake.
This discussion has been closed.