Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If BJohnson is planning an election the numbers continue to lo

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    I`m also forced to read Geoff Boycott whingeing about English batsmen and their technique. Perhaps we should have two completely separate teams - the ODI/T20/100 team and the Test team.

The people I`m sorry for are those with tickets for Sunday and Monday - do they get refunds or will they put on an ODI?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Root shells what would have been his 100th catch in Tests.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,780
    In which other occupations.... ?

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2019/08/if-trump-were-airline-pilot/596575/
    Obviously I have no standing to say what medical pattern we are seeing, and where exactly it might lead. But just from life I know this:

If an airline learned that a pilot was talking publicly about being “the Chosen One” or “the King of Israel” (or Scotland or whatever), the airline would be looking carefully into whether this person should be in the cockpit.
    If a hospital had a senior surgeon behaving as Trump now does, other doctors and nurses would be talking with administrators and lawyers before giving that surgeon the scalpel again.
    If a public company knew that a CEO was making costly strategic decisions on personal impulse or from personal vanity or slight, and was doing so more and more frequently, the board would be starting to act. (See: Uber, management history of.)
    If a university, museum, or other public institution had a leader who routinely insulted large parts of its constituency—racial or religious minorities, immigrants or international allies, women—the board would be starting to act.
    If the U.S. Navy knew that one of its commanders was routinely lying about important operational details, plus lashing out under criticism, plus talking in “Chosen One” terms, the Navy would not want that person in charge of, say, a nuclear-missile submarine. (See: The Queeg saga in The Caine Mutiny, which would make ideal late-summer reading or viewing for members of the White House staff.)...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Wow, we are actually burning some coal! How weird is that? https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think a lot will depend on how the election comes and how it is framed. If Boris does a May and seems to want to take advantage of a lead in the polls without any compelling justification he may get a similar result. Conversely, if sorting out Brexit in this Parliament simply proves impossible because they are so divided and he is seen to have done his best then he may well be on to a winner. In short I think that there are far more contingencies than usual in the polling at this point and it would be a mistake to read too much into them.

Thanks for writing what I was thinking and saving me the bother.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think a lot will depend on how the election comes and how it is framed. If Boris does a May and seems to want to take advantage of a lead in the polls without any compelling justification he may get a similar result. Conversely, if sorting out Brexit in this Parliament simply proves impossible because they are so divided and he is seen to have done his best then he may well be on to a winner. In short I think that there are far more contingencies than usual in the polling at this point and it would be a mistake to read too much into them.

Thanks for writing what I was thinking and saving me the bother.
    No problem, I am far too bored and depressed to do any real work.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

Since Boris became pm he has led the polls apart from one with a 1% labour lead and some of the leads are substantial. However, I do not think they are grounds for a GE though it is clear labour is in a very bad place, not just evidenced in the polls but in virtually every recent local election their vote share is in freefall

My own opinion is that Boris will achieve some change to the backstop and it will be sufficient to present it to the HOC on a free vote with rejection resulting in no deal

Now, many on here may take task with me and of course I could be wrong but it is not entirely fanciful.

I think in an era of four party politics polls, which are basically political propaganda these days, are of no real value. As an example, the swing from Conservative to Lib Dem based on YouGov is 11.5% but that doesn't mean it will be that everywhere - in some areas it will be less, some much more. BP won't poll 12% everywhere nor will the Greens poll a flat 8% so UNS is USE-less.

As for your scenario, maybe but the onus has always been on the UK to put forward solutions to the problems its departure from the EU will cause - why should the EU have to come up with the answers - we are the ones who want to leave? Blaming the EU is politically easy but the truth is we have been short of viable solutions as distinct from technological flights of fancy which might be viable in 2030.

We are woefully under-prepared and unprepared for No Deal it seems. Should more have been done by May after A50 was triggered in 2017 - yes, a thousand times, yes.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    stodge said:

DavidL said:

This is not a normal August. We are supposed to be leaving the EU in just over 2 months. We need decisions made and legislation passed whichever way we are going to jump. If MPs had approved May's deal, as they should have, then we would have left months ago and they could have their hols. As they screwed up they really should be at work.

This is turning into the new meme. Parliament didn't vote for the WA because it wasn't a WA that was able to command the support of Parliament. Technically it might be a superb Deal and it could be fantastic for Britain BUT none of that matters.

Perhaps it was impossible to come up with a Deal which would have passed the Commons with the arithmetic of the 2017 GE called by May which was supposed to provide her with a majority with which she could have forced through the WA.

Yes, it's her fault - possibly against her better judgement, she went for a GE gamble and it failed. She should have walked on the Friday morning and allowed Boris or whoever to get whatever Deal he could but she didn't. Her overactive sense of duty gland kicked in and the result has been two years of paralysis by division and self-indulgence.

And yet apparently it's all the Opposition's fault. Now, I'm no fan of Corbyn by any stretch but I don't blame him for being opportunistic - had he acquiesced, I believe the WA would have passed, May would have quit and the new leader (Boris?) would have gone for a GE taking credit for the Conservatives for getting us out of the EU. I think he would have won big so I can understand why Corbyn didn`t want to play ball.

Yet it is all his fault - the Conservatives of course had the numbers to get the WA over the line had they been a disciplined united party instead of a self-seeking rabble but the truth is this entire exercise has been about the Conservative Party trying to resolve its long-lasting tedious fixation with Europe.

With hindsight, once they got back into office in 2010 some sort of showdown was inevitable - Cameron hoped a GE victory might buy him some loyalty and unity but it did not. It would have been so much easier if the Party had split in Opposition in the 2000s.

Quite. Or that Cameron had turned on the Brexiters and called them out when he first became leader - he had a chance to marginalise them at that point (and another after the formation of the coalition in 2010) but he chickened out and decided to appease them instead.
  • Options

I've amended the table above to INCLUDE the BREX which I cropped off in the earlier version

Why are Brexit party last in wiki's table - should I amend it for them?
    Please do.
    They've made it really tricky for an html amateur like myself - damn liberals (in the American sense of the word)
    I've got the best part of 13 pages of numbers to change (swap 2 columns) - I guess I've got nothing better to do. If I'm goaded enough I'll do it.
    I was doing really well until I had to faff about with the colour changes when Brexit were leading the polls.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I`m also forced to read Geoff Boycott whingeing about English batsmen and their technique. Perhaps we should have two completely separate teams - the ODI/T20/100 team and the Test team.

The people I`m sorry for are those with tickets for Sunday and Monday - do they get refunds or will they put on an ODI?

You certainly get a full refund if there is no play, and partial refunds if there is not much.

As for the England team, there are some very good players underperforming massively. Boycott is right about technique but I think we have to look a bit wider in assessing what has gone wrong. There is so much about the English red ball game that needs sorting, starting with the County structure and the way the game is administered generally.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    DavidL said:
    On this particular subject his analysis is correct. Problem is he is too much of an idiot to think of an appropriate response that does not involve unnecessary willy waggling
  • Options

DavidL said:
    On this particular subject his analysis is correct. Problem is he is too much of an idiot to think of an appropriate response that does not involve unnecessary willy waggling
    On IP he may have a point. On we don't need China and would be better off without it, not so much.
  • Options

stodge said:

DavidL said:

This is not a normal August. We are supposed to be leaving the EU in just over 2 months. We need decisions made and legislation passed whichever way we are going to jump. If MPs had approved May's deal, as they should have, then we would have left months ago and they could have their hols. As they screwed up they really should be at work.

This is turning into the new meme. Parliament didn't vote for the WA because it wasn't a WA that was able to command the support of Parliament. Technically it might be a superb Deal and it could be fantastic for Britain BUT none of that matters.

Perhaps it was impossible to come up with a Deal which would have passed the Commons with the arithmetic of the 2017 GE called by May which was supposed to provide her with a majority with which she could have forced through the WA.

Yes, it's her fault - possibly against her better judgement, she went for a GE gamble and it failed. She should have walked on the Friday morning and allowed Boris or whoever to get whatever Deal he could but she didn't. Her overactive sense of duty gland kicked in and the result has been two years of paralysis by division and self-indulgence.

And yet apparently it's all the Opposition's fault. Now, I'm no fan of Corbyn by any stretch but I don't blame him for being opportunistic - had he acquiesced, I believe the WA would have passed, May would have quit and the new leader (Boris?) would have gone for a GE taking credit for the Conservatives for getting us out of the EU. I think he would have won big so I can understand why Corbyn didn`t want to play ball.

Yet it is all his fault - the Conservatives of course had the numbers to get the WA over the line had they been a disciplined united party instead of a self-seeking rabble but the truth is this entire exercise has been about the Conservative Party trying to resolve its long-lasting tedious fixation with Europe.

With hindsight, once they got back into office in 2010 some sort of showdown was inevitable - Cameron hoped a GE victory might buy him some loyalty and unity but it did not. It would have been so much easier if the Party had split in Opposition in the 2000s.

Quite. Or that Cameron had turned on the Brexiters and called them out when he first became leader - he had a chance to marginalise them at that point (and another after the formation of the coalition in 2010) but he chickened out and decided to appease them instead.
    He didn't have a choice, the loonies had already taken over the membership, and they had been given the keys to the asylum
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Stokes manages to eliminate butter fingers from the equation by straight off bowling his man. Defo the way to go.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:
    On IP he may have a point. On we don't need China and would be better off without it, not so much.
    Indeed. China has, of course, propped up the world economy for quite sometime with it's staggering growth. However, it's cavalier attitude to international laws and conventions on IP are completely outrageous. There has been wholesale, blatant theft that has been sanctioned by their government at the highest level
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    He could eat his burgers off plastic plates if he is getting rid of his China.
  • Options
    Convicts lead by 209...more than enough against this England batting line-up...unless they can convince them it is an ODI, then they will smash that in 20 overs.
  • Options

DavidL said:
    No he is not correct. Until America can get its deficits under control it absolutely and completely needs China.

He who pays the piper pays the tune and China currently underwrites America.

If Trump wants to cut ties with China first step would be to show some fiscal responsibility.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,312

Can you hear white coats flapping ?

Injection!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
  • Options

He could eat his burgers off plastic plates if he is getting rid of his China.

Don't push too far your dreams are china in your hand
    Don't wish too hard, because they may come true
    And you can't help them
    You don't know what you might have set upon yourself
    China in your hand
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    If Boris could choose now when to have the next GE, I wonder what he'd plump for?

(My guess is very late this year, and as such I'm wondering how Labour would present avoiding that)

I noticed something earlier that could be an enormous source of fun ahead. I imagine it's already been pointed out, but forgive me if I repeat.

(I'm sort of assuming a 31oct Brexit in this. Other possibilities exist!)

Tory party conference straddles Brexit - fireworks all round, but this has to worry Corbyn in that Boris can do a post-Brexit rabble-rouser.

Labour all done beforehand - surely a leadership challenge if it's 'no deal' then within days.

LDs substantially beforehand - interesting to see if they accept matters if Brexit is nailed on.

Green's all post Brexit - I simply can't imagine what may go on - I do want to see the footage though!

• Options
    Why are people getting so down on England? Run through the tail and then almost 3 days to grind out a 285. That is far from impossible.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Don't push too far your dreams are china in your hand
    Don't wish too hard, because they may come true
    And you can't help them
    You don't know what you might have set upon yourself
    China in your hand

I knew the drummer of that group. He was unhappy with his cut of the revenue. Said the singer took almost all of it. Didn't resign though. Kept on banging away.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    edited August 2019

Well that's bollocks isn't it? We haven't done it in 2 years, so how the feck can Bozo et al do anything in 30 days when everyone is on holiday?

They realise this, and hence the backing away from what Bozo said off the cuff in Berlin.
    We have 'done it' - sensible alternative arrangements have been proposed (by Nicky Morgan and Greg Hands before you accuse it of being cooked up by Farage over a boozy lunch): https://www.prosperity-uk.com/aacabout/

They just haven't been accepted by (or presumably even officially presented to) Ireland and the EU. No doubt in small part because they would have been rejected out of hand because both those entities preferred forcing Britain into the backstop.

What needs to happen in the 30 days isn't a creation job, it's a presentational and diplomatic job.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Why are people getting so down on England? Run through the tail and then almost 3 days to grind out a 285. That is far from impossible.

Should really be congratulating the Aussies anyway. They're playing a great series, and both teams are just adding to the greatness of the Ashes. Literally wonderful.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Modern test players aren't any good at batting slowly for 2 days to reach a target of 275.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:
    Indeed. China has, of course, propped up the world economy for quite sometime with it's staggering growth. However, it's cavalier attitude to international laws and conventions on IP are completely outrageous. There has been wholesale, blatant theft that has been sanctioned by their government at the highest level
    Much of which was the Chinese insisting on technology sharing if foreign companies wished to enter the Chinese market, so wasn’t theft at all.

Rather the combined cupidity and stupidity of large corporations.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

For a team which remembered how to play test cricket, sure.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    kinabalu said:

True. Stranger things have happened. That’s the great thing about test cricket: you never know when a legendary performance is just around the corner. I still believe!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

Should really be congratulating the Aussies anyway. They're playing a great series, and both teams are just adding to the greatness of the Ashes. Literally wonderful.
    Not really.
    The batting, Smith (and perhaps Labuschagne) excepted, has been execrable.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    If only the idiot who appointed him could be found.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Yes it's great. And the story is still unfolding. It could yet be one for the annals.

Annals? Yep - annals. Odd looking word but it can't be helped.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,926
    I HATE TRAINS PART 57 OF LOTS
    ===========================

There is this lovely old tweedy English couple sat in the carriage. They have big bikes lodged in front of seats and are sitting down, taking up a total of six seats and blocking the aisle. They are terribly apologetic and will move the aisle bike to enable access to the unused seats.They don't travel on trains much. They are puzzled, a bit confused, and have asked if trains are normally this busy and whether it will get busier.

I want them dead.

I want the police to be puzzled when they find their mangled bodies and the coroner to wonder just how a bike could have been thrust that far in before the torso exploded. I want their pictures to be displayed to learner cyclists as a warning. GODSDAMMIT, THEY ARE BROMPTON BIKES! THEY ARE FOLDABLE! FOLD THEM!!!

[Seethes quietly]
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319

kinabalu said:

True. Stranger things have happened. That’s the great thing about test cricket: you never know when a legendary performance is just around the corner. I still believe!
    And think of Derek Randall in the 1977 centenary test - not rated as a batsman, almost identical circumstances, nearly pulled off a miracle. I still believe!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    viewcode said:

There is this lovely old tweedy English couple sat in the carriage. They have big bikes lodged in front of seats and are sitting down, taking up a total of six seats and blocking the aisle. They are terribly apologetic and will move the aisle bike to enable access to the unused seats.They don't travel on trains much. They are puzzled, a bit confused, and have asked if trains are normally this busy and whether it will get busier.

I want them dead.

I want the police to be puzzled when they find their mangled bodies and the coroner to wonder just how a bike could have been thrust that far in before the torso exploded. I want their pictures to be displayed to learner cyclists as a warning. GODSDAMMIT, THEY ARE BROMPTON BIKES! THEY ARE FOLDABLE! FOLD THEM!!!

[Seethes quietly]

Have you considered suggesting that they fold them, and maybe helping them if they're amenable? Otherwise I wonder if your rage is actually misdirected frustration at your own social cowardice
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Modern test players aren't any good at batting slowly for 2 days to reach a target of 275.

I've noticed that too. You would almost fancy them more if time were shorter. So different to the way it used to be.
  • Options
    And......Archer has broken down.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    dixiedean said:

So not only is China now officially an enemy, but the Fed Chair is also one.

Truly incredible.

If we survive through Trump's coming personal meltdown into insanity, the historians will surely wonder what the f**king hell the leaders of the GOP were doing during this time.

Amendment 25 now. Before it is too late.

That primary run by Walsh also needed urgently.
  • Options

Well that's bollocks isn't it? We haven't done it in 2 years, so how the feck can Bozo et al do anything in 30 days when everyone is on holiday?

They realise this, and hence the backing away from what Bozo said off the cuff in Berlin.
    We have 'done it' - sensible alternative arrangements have been proposed (by Nicky Morgan and Greg Hands before you accuse it of being cooked up by Farage over a boozy lunch): https://www.prosperity-uk.com/aacabout/

They just haven't been accepted by (or presumably even officially presented to) Ireland and the EU. No doubt in small part because they would have been rejected out of hand because both those entities preferred forcing Britain into the backstop.

What needs to happen in the 30 days isn't a creation job, it's a presentational and diplomatic job.

"No doubt" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that paragraph...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    As that Atlantic article said - no airline would let this man fly the plane.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I want them dead.

[Seethes quietly]

Have you considered suggesting that they fold them, and maybe helping them if they're amenable? Otherwise I wonder if your rage is actually misdirected frustration at your own social cowardice
    It's hardly misdirected... :)
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    viewcode said:

I want them dead.

[Seethes quietly]

Well it could have been worse they could have been playing rap at full volume at the same time
  • Options
    As of a few seconds ago, GBP was worth 1.1011 EUR. The FX markets are trolling me in binary... :)
  • Options
    Engand take a wicket with a no-ball.
  • Options

twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1164946686168489984

There really isn't anybody nearly as good as Matt.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

As that Atlantic article said - no airline would let this man fly the plane.

Yes. This is no longer about trolling liberals, firing up his base, or dead cats. This is about blind, irrational rage against those who do not do the bidding of the Chosen One, King of Israel.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I want them dead.

[Seethes quietly]

Patrick Bateman meets Alan Partridge. I rather like it!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    stodge said:

Since Boris became pm he has led the polls apart from one with a 1% labour lead and some of the leads are substantial. However, I do not think they are grounds for a GE though it is clear labour is in a very bad place, not just evidenced in the polls but in virtually every recent local election their vote share is in freefall

My own opinion is that Boris will achieve some change to the backstop and it will be sufficient to present it to the HOC on a free vote with rejection resulting in no deal

Now, many on here may take task with me and of course I could be wrong but it is not entirely fanciful.

I think in an era of four party politics polls, which are basically political propaganda these days, are of no real value. As an example, the swing from Conservative to Lib Dem based on YouGov is 11.5% but that doesn't mean it will be that everywhere - in some areas it will be less, some much more. BP won't poll 12% everywhere nor will the Greens poll a flat 8% so UNS is USE-less.

As for your scenario, maybe but the onus has always been on the UK to put forward solutions to the problems its departure from the EU will cause - why should the EU have to come up with the answers - we are the ones who want to leave? Blaming the EU is politically easy but the truth is we have been short of viable solutions as distinct from technological flights of fancy which might be viable in 2030.

We are woefully under-prepared and unprepared for No Deal it seems. Should more have been done by May after A50 was triggered in 2017 - yes, a thousand times, yes.
    What you are missing though is that everyone actually knows what the technological solution is - @rcs1000 described it last night. The hard graft of making it work in practice needs collaboration and that is what the EU has refused to do. Because they thought that the U.K. would fold.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

dixiedean said:

So not only is China now officially an enemy, but the Fed Chair is also one.

Truly incredible.

If we survive through Trump's coming personal meltdown into insanity, the historians will surely wonder what the f**king hell the leaders of the GOP were doing during this time.

Amendment 25 now. Before it is too late.

That primary run by Walsh also needed urgently.
    I was worried when Trump referred to himself as the "chosen one" in the last 48 hours. I have come across people thinking they are the "chosen one" before and it is usually related to serious mental illness. I can accept that being US President is different to 99.99% of peoples lives on earth but nobody is chosen to do anything. Its just a case of right person right time or random coincidences and events leading to x or y.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,395

Agree. Boris needs to sell the WA to his party and to parliament.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    viewcode said:

I want them dead.

[Seethes quietly]

Why don’t you offer to help them fold their bike?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

I want them dead.

[Seethes quietly]

Well it could have been worse they could have been playing rap at full volume at the same time
    Good point. And to be fair, there is nobody talking on the phone about how their ex-partner is a b****** and they or their new partner will do them in. There isn't a hen party. There isn't a foursome of nice middle-class people having a nice chat in too-loud voices about their holidays. There are no drunks. There are no aggressive drunks. There are no obvious moochers telling the guards that the bloke at the station said that this ticket will do. There are no beggars dressed in rags and smelling. There are no mentally-challenged people with constant anomalous spasmodic movements. There are no people with grotesque face tattoos. There are no screaming children. Nobody is threatening to punch me. In short it could be a lot worse.

And provided the shop near the station at the end has raspberries and 1.25litre bottles of Pepsi Max on sale for £1, it might in fact be quite nice... :)
  • Options
    I think we are beginning to see the shape of Trump’s re-election campaign:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/458564-bannon-to-release-anti-huawei-film-claws-of-the-red-dragon

No doubt Boris will pick up any tips he thinks useful.
  • Options
    Charles said:

stodge said:

What you are missing though is that everyone actually knows what the technological solution is - @rcs1000 described it last night. The hard graft of making it work in practice needs collaboration and that is what the EU has refused to do. Because they thought that the U.K. would fold.
    And what you are missing is that it's not just about the border but about enabling businesses and people to operate as they do today without any additional barriers to cross-border integration. Imposing a system that adds hassle and bureaucracy is unacceptable.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes. This is no longer about trolling liberals, firing up his base, or dead cats. This is about blind, irrational rage against those who do not do the bidding of the Chosen One, King of Israel.

The man simply CANNOT be re-elected.

If he is, that will most definitively be the end of the American Dream.

One of my favourite authors is JG Ballard and it's a pity he's dead because he would have written some good stuff about Trump.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

nichomar said:

viewcode said:

I want them dead.

[Seethes quietly]

Good point. And to be fair, there is nobody talking on the phone about how their ex-partner is a b****** and they or their new partner will do them in. There isn't a hen party. There isn't a foursome of nice middle-class people having a nice chat in too-loud voices about their holidays. There are no drunks. There are no aggressive drunks. There are no obvious moochers telling the guards that the bloke at the station said that this ticket will do. There are no beggars dressed in rags and smelling. There are no mentally-challenged people with constant anomalous spasmodic movements. There are no people with grotesque face tattoos. There are no screaming children. Nobody is threatening to punch me. In short it could be a lot worse.

And provided the shop near the station at the end has raspberries and 1.25litre bottles of Pepsi Max on sale for £1, it might in fact be quite nice... :)
    If you back track Nick Palmer posted a similar train story this morning
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Okay monthly Baxtered average (not including latest poll with too many TBAs)-

Con 349
    Lab 203
    LD 41
    Brexit 0
    Green 1
    SNP 35
    PC 3
    NI 18

Okay monthly Baxtered average (not including latest poll with too many TBAs)-

Con 349
    Lab 203
    LD 41
    Brexit 0
    Green 1
    SNP 35
    PC 3
    NI 18

Absolute bollox, you need to be brain dead to think the SNP will make ZERO gains. Did you run out of fingers and toes.
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

I want them dead.

[Seethes quietly]

Why don’t you offer to help them fold their bike?
    That. Would. Involve. Talking. To. People. On. A. Train.

This is England, Charles. Some things you just don't do.
  • Options

And what you are missing is that it's not just about the border but about enabling businesses and people to operate as they do today without any additional barriers to cross-border integration. Imposing a system that adds hassle and bureaucracy is unacceptable.

I disagree.

Subjugating people to a Parliament they don't get to vote for is unacceptable.

Being subject to bureaucracy is a fact of life and merely annoying.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

viewcode said:

nichomar said:

viewcode said:

I want them dead.

[Seethes quietly]

If you back track Nick Palmer posted a similar train story this morning
    I did not know that, thank you. For the avoidance of doubt, NPXMP and I are not the same person.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551
    edited August 2019
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

One of my favourite authors is JG Ballard and it's a pity he's dead because he would have written some good stuff about Trump.
    I quite often wonder what the like of Hunter S. Thompson, Bill Hicks, and George Carlin would have made of President Trump. My hunch is that all three would have almost immediately dropped dead or been driven mad by Trump's victory.

I do hope that Britain Trump has enough sense to avoid negotiating a trade deal with the US whilst Trump remains President.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Without the backstop, and against the certainty of No deal, I would see it passing without too much difficulty. Personally I think leaving without a deal would be fine, but leaving it with one, even one which isn't terribly fair, is probably easier on our collective nerves.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Without the backstop, and against the certainty of No deal, I would see it passing without too much difficulty. Personally I think leaving without a deal would be fine, but leaving it with one, even one which isn't terribly fair, is probably easier on our collective nerves.
    Dream, Dream , Dream
  • Options
    The trouble with going on about how dreadful Trump is, is that nobody is going on about how wonderful and great any of his opponents is. You need to be for something, not just anti something else.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    glw said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

I quite often wonder what the like of Hunter S. Thompson, Bill Hicks, and George Carlin would have made of President Trump. My hunch is that all three would have almost immediately dropped dead or been driven mad by Trump's victory.

I do hope that Britain Trump has enough sense to avoid negotiating a trade deal with the US whilst Trump remains President.
    Just imagine what Christopher Hitchens might have written. His despatches from the Trump/Clinton contest are one of the great journalistic "what ifs". His take-down of the Clintons - "No-one Left to Lie to" - is quite a read.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551

glw said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Just imagine what Christopher Hitchens might have written. His despatches from the Trump/Clinton contest are one of the great journalistic "what ifs". His take-down of the Clintons - "No-one Left to Lie to" - is quite a read.
    Hitchens would have been up a tower with a rifle.
  • Options

I disagree.

Subjugating people to a Parliament they don't get to vote for is unacceptable..
    So let’s respect their Remain vote by revoking Article 50. Problem solved.
  • Options

Charles said:

stodge said:

No it is not, it is wholly acceptable. The sensitivities described are those of private citizens, not big businesses. We don't owe it to businesses not to fill out paperwork because of the GFA. We should try to minimise bureaucracy in our own interests, but that's another issue.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Dream, Dream , Dream
    Yes, remember it Malc?
  • Options

Charles said:

stodge said:

No it is not, it is wholly acceptable. The sensitivities described are those of private citizens, not big businesses. We don't owe it to businesses not to fill out paperwork because of the GFA. We should try to minimise bureaucracy in our own interests, but that's another issue.
    Business are people too, as Mitt Romney would tell you.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Rather embarrassing for Joe Wilson.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,200

I disagree.

Subjugating people to a Parliament they don't get to vote for is unacceptable.

Being subject to bureaucracy is a fact of life and merely annoying.
    I agree. Subjugating people in Irish border areas who rely on cross border relations to the whims of Westminster is profoundly undemocratic. Luckily their own Parliament is insisting on the backstop to prevent that. If only our own were as competent.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Dream, Dream , Dream
    Yes, remember it Malc?
    Disaster is looming , it is No Deal coming up
  • Options
    I hope o’mara gets the necessary support and care over the coming days no matter how this ends up he clearly has problems and will need to face the music eventually.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    viewcode said:

I did not know that, thank you. For the avoidance of doubt, NPXMP and I are not the same person.

Are you sure?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Dream, Dream , Dream
    Yes, remember it Malc?
    DOOM!

A rather lovely Dad's Army character, but it hardly makes a case.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I hope o’mara gets the necessary support and care over the coming days no matter how this ends up he clearly has problems and will need to face the music eventually.

He will be lucky unless he can pay for it
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    For TSE: the Good Lady Wifi is working on a little movie in Hollywood. It's about somebody who everybody in LA knows and loves. The list of people who want to be in this movie is growing. The latest to get on board: William Shatner....
  • Options
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Dream, Dream , Dream
    Yes, remember it Malc?
    DOOM!

I am hoping for No Deal as it will mean independence for certain.
  • Options

For TSE: the Good Lady Wifi is working on a little movie in Hollywood. It's about somebody who everybody in LA knows and loves. The list of people who want to be in this movie is growing. The latest to get on board: William Shatner....

Can he still move
  • Options
    edited August 2019

The trouble with going on about how dreadful Trump is, is that nobody is going on about how wonderful and great any of his opponents is. You need to be for something, not just anti something else.

I don't know, being negative about the EU seems to have worked for Farage! :wink:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    malcolmg said:

Can he still move
    They'll put the camera on a track around him....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    edited August 2019
    AndyJS said:

Rather embarrassing for Joe Wilson.

Stokes will be a shoo n for SPOTY if we win this match because he'll need to have got a hundred in 4th innings. Deserved more wickets today tbh
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Dream, Dream , Dream
    Yes, remember it Malc?
    DOOM!

One of us is misreading the runes then.

Scottish independence here and now is (sorry) daft. The forces for independence aren't those that you'd want. Sturgeon leading the charge.. It's all defensive stuff. If Scottish independence has a chance of flourishing then you need the imaginative people of Scotland pushing it forwards.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    nichomar said:

Frankly it reflects very badly on Labour that he was ever put forward as a candidate for an office of any kind.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    What is this "Birmingham" side, and when was it born lol
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Dream, Dream , Dream
    Yes, remember it Malc?
    DOOM!

If the UK economy goes down the toilet, which will impact Scotland's economy, surely independence is going to have some serious questions arise on tax and spending north of the border in an independent Scotland. Like it or not Scotland gets a fiscal boost from the rest of the UK that it spends on public services. A new country which is not part of the sterling area (£) is going to have some tough decisions to make. I don't see Scotland joining the Eurozone as a way out of solving its problems either. Personally, I would be sad to see Scotland decide its union with the rest of the UK, which, it entered voluntarily some centuries ago should be dissolved.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Dream, Dream , Dream
    Yes, remember it Malc?
    DOOM!

No certainty about it at all, including Don't Knows only 46% of Scots back independence even now on the last Ashcroft poll
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    edited August 2019

Yes, shades of 2004 there when voters voted for John Kerry as he was not George W Bush, whereas Bush voters made a positive vote for their man
This discussion has been closed.