Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A man of principles. Boris Johnson and the EU

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,706
    AndyJS said:

edb said:

Probably an unpopular point, but why _shouldnt_ countries buy and sell territory? Especially underpopulated territory.
    If i lived in greenland i might feel flattered by the attention.

The US bought Alaska from Russia IIRC, in about 1900.
    And the rest.....

https://www.globalpolicy.org/component/content/article/155/25993.html
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Ooops! "30 Days" is all over the front pages.....

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    viewcode said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

stodge said:

Scott_P said:
    I just wonder what Trump would have paid for Greenland. Alaska was bought for only $120 million or so in today's money (roughly 2 cents per acre) which is incredible.

Alaska is 586,000 square miles and Greenland is 836,000 square miles so about 140% of Alaska.

If I was Denmark, what would I accept? 100 billion kroner?
    Access to the Arctic is priceless.

But of course Denmark couldn’t say that so came up with some PC nonsense instead
    But in general you agree with countries trying to but other countries' territories. Bizarre.
    My guess, having actually been to Greenland - unlike anyone else on here -
    Hah! But have you been to Belfast? ON A PLANE!!

I win! (looks smug)
    I've sailed to Belfast on a tall ship.

I win!

(We moored right next to a hotel in the centre of Belfast and went in to get drunk. Very Irish and very sailor).
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Well the Lib dems have outbarcharted themselves this time.
    OGH would approve
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    edited August 2019
    AndyJS said:

edb said:

Probably an unpopular point, but why _shouldnt_ countries buy and sell territory? Especially underpopulated territory.

It was a bit earlier 1867 and was an agreed purchase. The difference this time is Trump just decides unilaterally that it would be good to buy Greenland, and made his opinion public. Thee was no consultation with Denmark or Greenland about this. When Denmark understandably rejected the idea point blank, then Trump threw a hissy fit.

Imagine if Trump just anounced he wanted to buy Scotland. How well would that go down in the UK!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    eristdoof said:

AndyJS said:

edb said:

It was a bit earlier 1867 and was an agreed purchase. The difference this time is Trump just decides unilaterally that it would be good to buy Greenland, and made his opinion public. Thee was no consultation with Denmark or Greenland about this. When Denmark understandably rejected the idea point blank, then Trump threw a hissy fit.

Imagine if Trump just anounced he wanted to buy Scotland. How well would that go down in the UK!
    Of course the way to kill two birds with one stone is to sell Northern Ireland to Trump.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

eristdoof said:

AndyJS said:

edb said:

Of course the way to kill two birds with one stone is to sell Northern Ireland to Trump.
    ...who can then build a wall around it, solving the Irish border issue
This discussion has been closed.